Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

After yesterday's show I had to look at my own state fruit, because it could easily be one of two (or more).  I was fascinated to learn we have a state microbe, a state soil, and a state chainsaw carving capital!

You can look up your state here:

https://statesymbolsusa.org/states/united-states/alabama

Thank you for the link. The Georgia State Dog is "Adoptable."  I'm surprised it's not a huntin' dog. And, of course, our state vegetable is the Vidalia onion. Hahahahaha.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

After yesterday's show I had to look at my own state fruit, because it could easily be one of two (or more).  I was fascinated to learn we have a state microbe, a state soil, and a state chainsaw carving capital!

https://statesymbolsusa.org/states/united-states/alabama

I laughed at "microbe", but then when I looked at my state's microbe, it made so much sense. Brewer's yeast (beer is a big thing in Oregon). Actually, all of it made sense - including the state beverage - milk.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I got FJ, figuring it had to be 2 presidents who died in office. Thought of WH Harrison, wasn’t sure who the second one was but that Lincoln was too far out so stuck with Harrison. Pleased to have gotten it. I wasn’t bothered overall by the guy, except for that DD wager. If you get it right, you’re tied, which I guess is fine but not considerably better than being in a strong second place instead of betting enough to give her the runaway. And of course doubly dumb in hindsight when he gets the final and she doesn’t. 

I would have bet the same as him on the Daily Double. 

I don't know the stats exactly but most of the time I would say :

The leader gets FJ correct   OR

If the leader misses FJ, so does the second place person

Relying on the chance of him getting FJ and her missing it to win is low odds.  Turned out that would have been the better strategy here, but over the long run, I think what he did was correct.

I thought the same thing as you about FJ.  I figured one was WH Harrison and thought the other might be Lincoln, but felt Lincoln was too late in history of Daniel Webster, so I went with WH Harrison.  Taylor.....not sure how that one is ironic.  The first one is, not the second one.  Maybe it should have been presidential half-irony. 

Not sure which game it was but was surprised no one knew Teddy Roosevelt.  But then I read his biography about his presidency a few years back

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

https://statesymbolsusa.org/states/united-states/Alabama

NC is all screwed up :

The state "berries" are the Strawberry and Blueberry. 

But then they have a state "blue berry", which is the blueberry. 

And then to top it all of there is a state fruit, the Scuppernong grape. 

Weird

I do like that we have a state carnivorous plant though, the venus flytrap

And the state dog if a hound here, the Plott Hound

https://statesymbolsusa.org/states/united-states/north-carolina

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4

Connecticut has a state polka. Sure, it's the Ballroom Polka, so you get your classy, WASPy bit in there, but a polka! When I as growing up in WNY, every garage band had to know at least one polka if they hoped to get paying gigs at wedding receptions. This was only to be expected in an area with a large Polish population. But Connecticut? 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I laughed at "microbe", but then when I looked at my state's microbe, it made so much sense. Brewer's yeast (beer is a big thing in Oregon). Actually, all of it made sense - including the state beverage - milk.

Hello fellow Oregonian.  I guess Washington got apple (my original reason for looking), so we got pear!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Driad said:

Is anyone else tired of the current champ's tone of voice?  It sounded to us like "that's a stupid question" or "I'm bored."

Yes; I haven't taken to her at all.  I liked the fellow in the middle, despite his swaying; I hoped he would win but that missed DD did him in. And I was Shouting the answer to him!

My ts's were dead reckoning, architect, Erie and the missed DD of Pontchartrain.

Did not get FJ; obviously it was a president who died in office but US presidents are not my strong suit.  I said Lincoln just to have something to say but I did not think that was going to be right.

• Love 5

My TS's were String Bean (a guess), Wounded Warrior Project (since I correctly left the 's' off), Carrie Underwood, and Lake Ponchartrain.

Alex's Forrest Gump – ugh. I did snicker when Mary Ann quickly chose her next category and cut off whatever Alex was going add.

For FJ I thought William Henry Harrison and Tyler. I think I meant Taylor. :)

Mary Ann is a machine.

• Love 5

I thought Casey's DD wager at the end was dumb as well. It was the last clue of the last category that was left, which means it clearly wasn't the category he felt most confident about. I thought he should have made a small wager that if he lost, would still give him enough money to catch the champ if the FJ category went his way. Which it did. If he'd been strategic with the DD and played for FJ, he would have won.

• Love 4

Well, for tonight’s FJ, I very confidently said, “Edward Scissorhands”. Probably because a local movie theater has been advertising a midnight showing.  “E.T.” never occurred to me, and after I thought about it, I think my guess was a 90s movie.  Boo, hiss.

33 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, for tonight’s FJ, I very confidently said, “Edward Scissorhands”. Probably because a local movie theater has been advertising a midnight showing.  “E.T.” never occurred to me, and after I thought about it, I think my guess was a 90s movie.  Boo, hiss.

Don't feel bad. The one contestant guessed 2001 and that was from 1968.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought Casey's DD wager at the end was dumb as well. It was the last clue of the last category that was left, which means it clearly wasn't the category he felt most confident about. I thought he should have made a small wager that if he lost, would still give him enough money to catch the champ if the FJ category went his way. Which it did. If he'd been strategic with the DD and played for FJ, he would have won.

Everything you said makes sense.  But, I was shocked that he didn't know, or at least guessed, Lake Pontchartrain. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

II thought the same thing as you about FJ.  I figured one was WH Harrison and thought the other might be Lincoln, but felt Lincoln was too late in history of Daniel Webster, so I went with WH Harrison.  Taylor.....not sure how that one is ironic.  The first one is, not the second one.  Maybe it should have been presidential half-irony. 

Taylor also died in office. His was one of the more weird presidential deaths: He ate a large quantity of cherries and drank a lot of milk (or ice water) on a hot day and died a few days later from "cholera morbus." His body was exhumed back in 1991 and autopsied to rule out foul play.

There's also irony in that Washington D.C.'s state fruit was involved, although it was probably what he drank that made him ill. The urban legend has grown up that eating cherries and drinking milk together is poison.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, SHD said:

Don't feel bad. The one contestant guessed 2001 and that was from 1968.

So did I, and very confidently too. I didn't realize it was that old.

Only two ts's, body and gnome. Not one of my better games.

E.T. is one of the first movies that I remember seeing in the movie theater as a kid. I have clear memories of standing in line with my E.T. plush toy.

My state doesn't have a state dog, fruit, or microbe, but we do have a state stone (limestone) and rifle (grouseland rifle). Who knew?

• Love 1
On November 21, 2018 at 9:15 AM, TaraS1 said:

We were so rooting for Maya.  Those other two...I know, I know, they're kids, but good god.

And I totally believe that voice, while real, was still being played to the hilt.  "Poe-tay-toe!" *screams*

Wish I could like this 1,000 times!!!!

• Love 2

I really hoped middle girl would win.

As for FJ, I got Munich, but couldn’t even come up with another M city except Moscow, which of course was incorrect.  Oh well.

I think I had a bad week for FJ this week, but I’ll have to wait until I get back to my house to tally up my score.  I can’t remember, and while I could scroll back, I’d prefer not to.  :)

• Love 2

Yesterday's game the only TS I got was gnomes, though that was a lucky guess. FJ was easy for me. I still cry at the end of ET.

For tonight's game the only TS I got was seal, again basically a guess. For FJ I got Munich but couldn't think of the other city. I remembered Moscow and Mexico City, but not Montreal. Actually, my family had planned on going to the Olympics that year and were saving up money. We saved quite a bit, but it still wasn't enuf.

BTW, my BIL today read a blurb that Alex Trebek can speak 17 languages. I rolled my eyes and said that maybe he knew phrases from that many languages, but I doubted that he was fluent in so many. Does anyone know the facts?

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For tonight's game the only TS I got was seal, again basically a guess. For FJ I got Munich but couldn't think of the other city. I remembered Moscow and Mexico City, but not Montreal. Actually, my family had planned on going to the Olympics that year and were saving up money. We saved quite a bit, but it still wasn't enuf.

BTW, my BIL today read a blurb that Alex Trebek can speak 17 languages. I rolled my eyes and said that maybe he knew phrases from that many languages, but I doubted that he was fluent in so many. Does anyone know the facts?

I knew "plight" and 1775. Like you, I remembered Munich but couldn't come up with Montreal. 

As for Trebek and languages, this item lists six. This item also mentions Swahili. I'm not sure how your BIL came up with 17. In today's interview, Jennifer said she learned to say thank you in (I think) 17 languages. Maybe he conflated the two?

• Love 2

Well, for FJ I very confidently said Munich and Moscow. I don't know what I thought the capital of Russia was, but for some reason I was temporarily convinced it isn't Moscow.

In my defense, I had an extremely long and tiring day at work and had just arrived home and was trying to make dinner while watching. But seriously, I have no idea what I was thinking.

• Love 4

I got Montreal right away but really had to dig deep in brain cells for Munich, even though, as @ClareWalks said, it was a very memorable Olympics.

Only two ts's, plight and seal.

Congrats to the appropriately named new champ, J.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

Lackluster night here. I got 1775, Charleston, and seal (although I almost said puffin). FJ took some serious thinking for me. I said Melbourne because I knew one summer Olympics was held in Australia. I got Montreal easily...anyway no FJ for me. Congratulations to the new champ Jay. 

• Love 1
On 11/22/2018 at 7:34 PM, secnarf said:

Instaget FJ, but I did particularly enjoy the response of Aliens.

It was my first thought, before I read the final phrase.

23 hours ago, ABay said:

Trebek mocked Alien but it was no dumber an answer than 2001: A Space Odyssey. At least Alien was almost in the right decade.

It's a funnier dumber, in my book, given the final phrase.

12 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I'm surprised Trebek said FJ was so tough today, since I actually managed to guess it! I got Montreal quickly, and then thought of Munich because it was a pretty memorable Games, after all. 

So memorable, I blocked the memories. It was my first "live" horror when I was old enough to understand what was going on. We struggled to part our brain cobwebs thinking "M? What Olympics happened in cities that start with 'M'?" We finally did get to Montreal, Moscow, and Munich, but I smacked my head when he said Mexico City was the other one. It too, was memorable, with one of the most striking (and controversial) photos of our athletes.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

As for Trebek and languages, this item lists six. This item also mentions Swahili. I'm not sure how your BIL came up with 17. In today's interview, Jennifer said she learned to say thank you in (I think) 17 languages. Maybe he conflated the two?

He was reading something online. He might not have said 17 -- I probably conflated the two -- but it was a high number, maybe 12 or 15. :shrug:

10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, for FJ I very confidently said Munich and Moscow. I don't know what I thought the capital of Russia was, but for some reason I was temporarily convinced it isn't Moscow.

Funny, when I first picked out Munich I said to myself that I used to think that was the capital but now I knew it wasn't. :D

• Love 2

I thought of Munich immediately, and my husband and I said at the same time, "I've got one." I asked what his was and he said "Miami." I asked him dubiously, "did Miami host the summer olympics in the '60s?" and he had no idea (he's a math guy, not a history guy). So I had Munich, and knew Mexico City as one of the capitals ... never came up with Montreal.

Added: I call total bullshit on that article about Trebek's languages because Italian is listed. If by "can speak some" they mean "recognizes the meaning of words and can pronounce it incorrectly", then sure.

Edited by Etta Place
Clicked that article about languages
  • Love 6

well I was in the other room listening to the show and somehow messed up the clue I got Munich very easily and was so proud of myself and ran back in the room for the reveal only to realize that it was supposed to be two cities and then I was struggling to come up with the other one before they gave the answer

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

In my defense, I had an extremely long and tiring day at work and had just arrived home and was trying to make dinner while watching. But seriously, I have no idea what I was thinking.

In your defense, Moscow was a much better guess than Milwaukee.

• Love 6

From parade.com, November 27, 2011:

Q. How many languages does Alex Trebek speak?—R. Compton, Bridgeport, Tex.

A. Five, including English. “I can get by in Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Swahili,” says the Jeopardy! host, 71. “But don’t expect much in Hawaiian and Welsh.”

• Love 1

Hi, kids. I'm baaaack.

Taylor also died in office. His was one of the more weird presidential deaths: He ate a large quantity of cherries and drank a lot of milk (or ice water) on a hot day and died a few days later from "cholera morbus."

Loved that you mentioned this since I used it in my latest book :)

I was hoping Mary Ann would make TOC. I liked her.

I checked all the state stuff, too (thanks for the link), and was surprised "Rocky Mountain High" was only Song #2. Plus, what happened to the song "Colorado, My Home" (by Meredith Wilson) from The Unsinkable Molly Brown?

• Love 3
On 11/22/2018 at 8:13 PM, Browncoat said:

I can't believe they accepted just "Ellen" without a BMS.

Boy, the ex-champ's during-the-show giggling sure stopped when she wasn't steamrolling the other contestants on the way to a runaway game.

Edited by SHD
Never mind...
  • Love 3

Not that I like the new champ all that much, but I'm happy to have Mary Ann off my screen.

Wednesday--I got Carrie Underwood, architect, and Pontchartrain.  No clue for FJ.

Thursday--Gnomes was my only get.  FJ=instaget.

Friday--I only got Charleston.  For FJ I said Melbourne and Montreal.  

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, GreekGeek said:

Taylor also died in office. His was one of the more weird presidential deaths: He ate a large quantity of cherries and drank a lot of milk (or ice water) on a hot day and died a few days later from "cholera morbus." His body was exhumed back in 1991 and autopsied to rule out foul play.

There's also irony in that Washington D.C.'s state fruit was involved, although it was probably what he drank that made him ill. The urban legend has grown up that eating cherries and drinking milk together is poison.

You're right, don't know how I forgot about him dying in office and his supposed poisoning.  They even exhumed his body at one time to research his cause of death.  Don't know how I forgot that

21 hours ago, secnarf said:

I had Moscow and Montreal, made the same mistake about Moscow somehow

I remembered Mexico City, but couldn't recall Munich.  Not sure why. 

23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

From parade.com, November 27, 2011:

Q. How many languages does Alex Trebek speak?—R. Compton, Bridgeport, Tex.

A. Five, including English. “I can get by in Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Swahili,” says the Jeopardy! host, 71. “But don’t expect much in Hawaiian and Welsh.”

I don't see FRENCH in there! WTH? Does he only do the accent without knowing the language ala Danny Kaye?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

On Friday's game at the end they were touting that upcoming battle of the ages with all the former "star" players.  Is all of that going to be on hulu that you have to subscribe to and (I assume) pay extra for the privilege.  I want to see it but I'm offended to have to pay for it...

I believe it's an additional tournament that will be on regular Jeopardy during the week for everyone to see. Here are upcoming dates. The Fantasy League should be interesting. I choose Ken, Brad and Alex for my team!

December 3:  ENTER: All-Stars Fantasy League Sweepstakes (Draft your own three-person dream team in the Jeopardy! All-Star Games Fantasy League and Sweepstakes for the chance to win a trip anywhere in the world that Lindblad Expeditions travels.)

February 20:  WATCH: Jeopardy! All-Star Games

May 6:  WATCH: Teachers Tournament

16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't see FRENCH in there! WTH? Does he only do the accent without knowing the language ala Danny Kaye?

I think the answer of speaking five languages is non-specific. If he speaks five, including English, does it mean Spanish, Italian, Russian and Swahili (the ones he "gets by" in) are in addition to the five he speaks? So the five might be English, French ... and three others which would be ... I don't know, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese? (I just made that up so don't quote me.) More research is needed.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I've been meaning to ask this for a time:

On Friday's game at the end they were touting that upcoming battle of the ages with all the former "star" players.  Is all of that going to be on hulu that you have to subscribe to and (I assume) pay extra for the privilege. 

I wish.  Then I wouldn't even have to change channels to avoid Ken Jennings and all the other obnoxiosities.

• Love 2
On 11/24/2018 at 9:06 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

You're right, don't know how I forgot about him dying in office and his supposed poisoning.  They even exhumed his body at one time to research his cause of death.  Don't know how I forgot that

I had Moscow and Montreal, made the same mistake about Moscow somehow

I remembered Mexico City, but couldn't recall Munich.  Not sure why. 

Zachary Taylor is also the only president who died in office who was NOT elected in year ending in 0.  But he did DIE in a year ending in 0, namely 1850.

Geez, the obscure trivia I remember! :-)

I thought of Montreal immediately, but then for some reason I thought that it was a Winter Games city, and so I dismissed it.

• Love 4

Why do contestants persist in categories they know nothing about?  Tonight the female contestant remained in "English Majors" even though she had no clue about military history or Britain, missing three questions and identifying a picture of Montgomery as "Rommel" (not English, as was true for Pershing).

• Love 8

I thought Hawthorne was relatively obvious but I guess not.

Antiquing was way too basic for a DD, however.  Also that one guy gave an answer of “crocheting” but in the context of the clue I thought he was going to get dinged because it should have been “crochet.”

• Love 9

It doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest that J lost. But now he won't be able to afford any more letters for his name. I'm glad middle guy won -- and was smart enough not to ring in when he didn't know the answer like end woman kept doing.

I should have gotten FJ, but just completely blanked when it wasn't Poe. And I only managed two TS --Lucifer (which I've never even watched), and current, which seemed really obvious.

Edited by Browncoat
Because weird symbols appeared at the ends of my sentences.
  • Love 3

Yay!  A champ I actually like!

Tonight I got Lucifer, angels (thank you MSNBC, where Jon Meacham is a frequent guest), Sedaris, current, Andre (thank you Peter Brady as Benedict Arnold), and Ruth.

Honestly, I could barely decipher the FJ clue, so I just started thinking of American Authors.  I thought Twain first, then Hawthorne popped in my head and I settled for him.  Lucky guess!

• Love 4

We've been away for Thanksgiving so I did a big catch up today. From last Wednesday, I got micro-loans, dead reckoning, and Lake Ponchartrain, but totally blanked on prematurely dead 19th century presidents. I went for Garfield, which was obviously wrong. Thursday, I got Captain Kidd and the FJ of E.T. I briefly considered Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, but Alex was right the "not a dry eye in the theater" element could only have been E.T. Friday gets were Charleston and seal, and for FJ, I knew one had to be Montreal, but the only other one I could think of was Mexico City.

Ok, on to today. I wasn't sad to see J be one and done. I'm glad he won on Friday, becasuse of hsi story of how how hard he tried to get on the show, but that was enough. The new champ seems fine, but I won't be surprised to see him also be one and done. I got angels, TE Lawrence, Ruth, Song of Solomon and Revelation. I was really sad that they didn't finish the category. I'm usually pretty good on Bible categories. My Masters of Divinty ought to be good for something, LOL. I totally whiffed on FJ. I went with James Fenimore Cooper, who I knew had to be too early, but once I thought of him, nobody else came to mind.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1

I said Melville for FJ.  Oh well. 

And really, you need a BMS for "puzzles", you have to say "jigsaw puzzles"?  I mean, technically, sure, but with some of the proper name answers they let go, seems pretty nitpicky.  I honestly would not have known what to say to be more specific, the two terms are interchanged and "jigsaw" often times is implied.  I would have missed it if they insisted on jigsaw puzzles. 

• Love 5

I was hoping that they finished the Bible category just to see if anyone could answer any of them. (Not that I could either) I got antiquing, Lawrence of Arabia, Montgomery, risk, and FJ was an instaget. I blind guessed many names but it wasn’t until I saw the clue that I knew who they wanted.  I did get the DD’s Charge of the Light Brigade and New Haven. 

• Love 2