Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

it was pretty straightforward.  Basically Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott are on this team?. 

Ah.  I don't know the names of any of the players any more.  And I'm okay with that!  :)

• Love 4

Is Alex losing weight? The suit he wore on Friday didn’t fit him well.

On the first round DD I said Shangra-La instead of Utopia. 

Best wishes to all the girl contestants tonight (drink?). Better run to the ABC store today as tonight could be a doozy. 

The teens have been really good across the board! Smart, poised, confident. A pleasure to see. 

I can't tell if an all-female final will lead to an epic number of "young lady" references or if having to specify which young lady will actually force him to use their names instead. 

I do hope Emma's voice shifts as she grows up -- hard enough to be taken seriously in this world without the complication of a tiny voice!  My pilates studio has an instructor who still sounds a lot like Emma as an adult, so it's possible it won't. 

Such a weird thing to fixate on, I know, but I'm distracted by Claire's hair bow. Or what I think is a bow. In both of her appearances so far there is something visible on the back her head even though most of her front hair is down. That's not usually how bows/clips work.

Oh, Maya, you should have picked the other one!  And Emma, just the last name would have been plenty -- no need to risk coming in 3rd by taking too much time to write your response.  But yay Claire!  I would honestly be happy with any of these three winning. 

Claire's hair was clearly pulled back today, with the bow holding it back.

Instaget FJ for me, plus I got 1900 and Sarajevo. 

• Love 5

I just got home and the game is pre-empted by football anyway - I was already annoyed by missing the first half of the game, and forgot it would air on my local channel as well as ESPN, so that I'd be missing J! too.  I'll have to check for a late-night airing, but decided to go ahead and check here to see who'd done well.  Claire's my number three of the group, but I'll still be perfectly happy if she wins.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And Emma, just the last name would have been plenty -- no need to risk coming in 3rd by taking too much time to write your response.  

She is very precise. In one of her other games, the FJ answer was a play (or movie?) title and she made sure to put quotation marks around the title.

• Love 5

Sad day yesterday in Chicago. After the first round they cut in for a special news report, a shooter at Mercy Hospital, he killed his ex-fiancé (an ER Dr.)and a pharmacy tech! A Chicago cop was also killed along with possibly others too! They had that story on TV all day/night and I never did get to watch the rest of J! (I was also hoping they aired it again later, but not to be found)

I'm glad Emma at least came in 2nd, In the beginning of game it appeared she may not answer anything! I hope to be able to watch the entire show today. Coming here to see what happened, thanks! 

• Love 2

This was the first I've watched of the Teen Tournament. I know Emma's voice has been mentioned many times, but all I could think of when I heard it was (and I said this aloud to the cats,) "I wonder what she sounds like on helium. I bet only dogs can hear her."

All 3 contestants live in the Eastern time zone and (whoo hoooooo) I've been to each one's hometown. Yay me.  Any one of the 3 will be OK as winner in my book.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, Quickbeam said:

FJ was easy if you ever took Latin. Mel is honey. 6 years of Latin to the rescue. Emma is quite a player, Monday will be epic.

I knew it from James May talking about honey badgers in the Top Gear Africa special.

I know she can't help it, but Emma's voice makes me wish I was deaf.  She's clearly a very good player, though.  Still, I'm rooting for Maya to pull off a miracle.  Would be fine with Claire as well.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

All three played a great game!  

Or says "young lady".  

If he says "young lady(ies)" as many times tonight as he did last night, I will be passed out by the end of the first round.

It was a very good game and I'm glad they all ended up with decent totals.  Even Maya's relatively lower score doesn't put her out of the running.

For FJ I said Thoreau, then overthought it and said no,  it's the poet who wrote "The woods are lovely, dark and deep" who I think is Robert Frost and I think is too late for the year in the clue.  But that seemed more "ironic" to me than someone who wrote about a pond setting the woods on fire. But I stuck with Frost anyhow and was wrong.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

For FJ I said Thoreau, then overthought it and said no,  it's the poet who wrote "The woods are lovely, dark and deep" who I think is Robert Frost and I think is too late for the year in the clue. 

In case it helps, Robert Frost spoke at JFK's inauguration in 1961.   Frost was born in 1874 and died in 1963, so he did not set a fire in 1844.

• Love 2

These kids are too old to not know when Teddy Roosevelt was president and too young to watch “Game of Thrones” and “House of Cards.”

Cherry.  Cherrrrrrrry.  That could not have been more simple.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 13

Mr. Irritable and I love Emma so very much that we are sad not to be able to see her on TV anymore. We want her to get her own show. We want to adopt her even though she already has good parents. 

We called Claire “Paris Gellar”, and are not surprised at all that she won. It’s probably for the best because she seemed to be the only one who might have had a full mental breakdown if she’d come in 2nd or 3rd.

• Love 10

I admit - I’ve lived in the DC area since the 90s and had no clue DC had an official fruit.  Now I feel stupid - cherry d’oh. 

And why would they ask teens about Game of Thrones and House of Cards?! 

• Love 5

I was so pleased Maya got to give the Emerson answer since it cost her so much last night.  

All three did well and I am oddly proud of them for not getting the Game of Thrones and House of Cards answers.  

I agree that Claire might be tightly wound but high school Paris Geller would never have reached out to the other players at the end the way She did.  

Brava to them all!

Edited by Grundoon59
Tightly is better than rightly. 😂
  • Love 12

I had no idea DC had an official fruit, either, but I guessed cherries because of the cherry blossom connection.  Just a lucky guess!  And I get an asterisk! 

Sorry Emma and Maya lost, but Claire was just a machine there at the end, and also made a very smart wager for FJ.  I think she's the only contestant I remember who stared directly into the camera during her interview, too.  Most people look at Alex. 

I was glad that Maya got Emerson! 

Alex, please do not attempt to mimic the Wicked Witch of The West ever again.  That was worse than his Dracula.

The only TS I got tonight were gnu, Christmas, dude ranch, and arrow.  I've never watched, um, House of Cards, was it?, but I guessed hit by a bus -- is that close to a subway train?  It's all public transit!  LOL

• Love 6

Monday's game--my only get was Sarajevo.  I could not pull Thoreau from my brain, even though I knew what they were talking about, so no FJ for me.

Tonight I got gnu, Christmas, marathon, and dude ranch.  

My first thought for FJ (after the whole I had no idea DC had an official fruit) was apple, then pumpkin, then the light dawned and I said cherry.  Followed by "duh!"

Congrats to Claire on the win.  The hug at the end was nice.

If I recall, I did not like the returning champ, so not looking forward to going back to regular games.

• Love 6

A big win for Tracey Flick. Actually, Claire was very impressive and deserved her win. They were all good, charming and level-headed, and I have every confidence that they will all go on to stellar careers. And they all have a fun experience to write about for their college admission essays and put on their resumes.

I got gnu, Christmas, United States, arrow, poison, dude ranch, and cherry. Who knew Washington D.C. even had an official fruit? But I got to cherry fairly quickly. I got it from the cherry blossoms - George Washington chopping down the cherry tree didn't even occur to me. Probably because pretty much everybody recognizes that it's totally made up and isn't even in kid's books any more as far as I know. Obviously the contetsants had never heard of it.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, lb60 said:

My first thought for FJ (after the whole I had no idea DC had an official fruit) was apple, then pumpkin, then the light dawned and I said cherry.  Followed by "duh!"

Congrats to Claire on the win.  The hug at the end was nice.

Nice but seemed sort of awkward.  Not that they didn't want to hug, but like they all had to climb down from different-height platforms behind their podiums.

• Love 3

We were so rooting for Maya.  Those other two...I know, I know, they're kids, but good god.

And I totally believe that voice, while real, was still being played to the hilt.  "Poe-tay-toe!" *screams*

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Who knew Washington D.C. even had an official fruit?

They never talk about it!  :-)  Of course, there are the cherry blossoms but I only think of the blossoms not the cherry part of it so to speak :-) 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

And I totally believe that voice, while real, was still being played to the hilt.  "Poe-tay-toe!" *screams*

I rewound and listened to that again. I may have squeed a bit. It was precious.

I felt bad for Maya, she seemed totally miserable. She probably put a lot of pressure on herself to do well and felt awful about going into the final day in third place. I just got this "UGH" vibe from the poor kid. Claire did great. I'm glad Emma was able to have fun. Hell, $50K is nothing to sneeze at.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Nice but seemed sort of awkward.  Not that they didn't want to hug, but like they all had to climb down from different-height platforms behind their podiums.

I noticed how awkward it was, but it was still very nice to see the hug.

Congrats to Claire for her win and the other two for their great games and also winning good amounts of money.

Lots of ts's for me plus instaget FJ.

I can't say I even remember who the current champ is; but I've never let a contestant, no matter how obnoxious, put me off watching Jeopardy!.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Irritable said:

Mr. Irritable and I love Emma so very much that we are sad not to be able to see her on TV anymore. We want her to get her own show. We want to adopt her even though she already has good parents. 

I know what you mean. She's adorable. (I love your avatar.)

Football preempted the game Monday, so I watched Monday's yesterday, then today I remembered that I could find the show on OoyayUbetay so I watched Tuesday's show this morning. Yay! I'm caught up!

12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was so pleased Maya got to give the Emerson answer since it cost her so much last night.  

That was perfect. I love when that happens.

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

These kids are too old to not know when Teddy Roosevelt was president and too young to watch “Game of Thrones” and “House of Cards.”

I'm old, and I just couldn't recall Teddy Roosevelt. I knew it wasn't Wilson, but I just drew a blank. As far as Game of Thrones and House of Cards, yes, it was weird those would be questions on a Teen Tournament. 

Forehead-slap when Alex said the answer was cherry. I wish I'd figured it out. I didn't think it was apple, but I thought that was a possibility -- American apple pie and all -- but I said blueberry. I really didn't think that was right, and I was right!

Monday's show I got 1900 and Sarajevo, as well as Thoreau.

For Tuesday's show I got gnu, Christmas, the marathon, dude, and poison. For the House of Cards clue, I said thrown off a roof. I believe that's what happened in the (excellent) British original. I haven't watched very much of the American version, though I'd heard of the train death.

Congratulations to Claire. All three 'young ladies' were so good and poised. I was particularly impressed by Maya. Superficial observation: She's so pretty, and I think she's going to grow up to be gorgeous. 

I'm glad I watched this Teen Tournament.

• Love 1

I’m glad that these teens haven’t put time into watching a political drama like HoC, but is GoT really appropriate viewing for them? I may be a wuss but I find it a bit too graphic for my tastes (I can handle the nudity just not the violence). 

My night was pretty good. I got Christmas, U.S., stronger, dude ranch, Teddy Roosevelt, arrow, subway (I did watch HoC but was disappointed with the final season). I did get cherries from thinking about the blossom festival in the spring. 

On the answer about the Dakota tribes getting the illness, the answer came to me because I watched the Deadwood series and they covered that the first season. It killed more than just the Native Americans. Most people out west were not vaccinated and succumbed to it as well. 

I enjoyed the tournament, felt badly for Maya, but overall thought the young ladies did swell. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

And why would they ask teens about Game of Thrones and House of Cards?! 

Yes, especially House of Cards! At least for GoT, there are books that teens might've read (if they're into that) and the way of death was talked about a lot on social media, so they could've heard about it that way. But House of Cards?!

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

It took me a moment, and I did get slightly sidetracked by apples, but then I thought "cherry blossom festival" and got it right in time.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got tonight were gnu, Christmas, dude ranch, and arrow.  I've never watched, um, House of Cards, was it?, but I guessed hit by a bus -- is that close to a subway train?  It's all public transit!  LOL

I think I got every TS for a change.  I don't watch House of Cards but have read enough about it to say hit by a train.  I surprised myself a little by getting Teddy Roosevelt since I usually stink at presidential dates, but I'd read a book about his trip to the Amazon rainforest (a nightmare trip which nearly killed him) after his failed attempt to win re-election as a third-party candidate in 1912, and the date obviously stuck with me.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I didn't get Roosevelt either, but the mister got it right away. Presidents are his historical specialty.

My mind was blank for the DC fruits, so I said "bananas" because it reflects the state of being in DC. Lol.

• Love 7

Teddy Roosevelt was inaugurated in Buffalo in 1901, following the assassination of William McKinley at the Pan-American Exposition. You can visit the Wilcox Mansion where he was sworn in but the expo building where McKinley was shot is long gone. The more you know...

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Hey! It's Russell Brand!

Works for me, since I hate Russell Brand, and this guy didn't do a lot to endear himself to me, either.  You know a contestant is swaying too much when the camera has trouble staying with him.  So glad he whiffed his DD.  I might not have minded a win by end girl, but I'm good with Mary Ann winning again.  I'm torn on her intro antics -- on the one hand, intro antics, but on the other hand, Hunger Games intro antics. 

All I could come up with for FJ was, "Who was a President who was killed or otherwise died in office?"  I ended up with Lincoln, but I knew it was wrong.  And I was right!  It was wrong!  I did, however, come up with Stringbean, microloans, dead reckoning, architect, the surprising Lake Erie, the equally surprising Yellowstone, and the insanely surprising Lake Ponchartrain.

• Love 6

This random bit of trivia about Daniel Webster was referenced a week and a half ago on another PTV forum, so despite never having heard of the guy before reading that post, I was able to get FJ today!

• Love 1

I got FJ, figuring it had to be 2 presidents who died in office. Thought of WH Harrison, wasn’t sure who the second one was but that Lincoln was too far out so stuck with Harrison. Pleased to have gotten it. I wasn’t bothered overall by the guy, except for that DD wager. If you get it right, you’re tied, which I guess is fine but not considerably better than being in a strong second place instead of betting enough to give her the runaway. And of course doubly dumb in hindsight when he gets the final and she doesn’t. 

• Love 2

I didn't mind middle guy. He was a bit of a change from the usual male contestant. I thought for sure his interview story would be something about being in a band. Dumb wagering on his part, though.

Why do all the long-running champs annoy me? And I hate runaway games.

• Love 1

I liked the “Dead” category. I’m rewatching Deadwood so I was hoping that it would be up there. It was, but not in a direct way. The show had Wild Bill Hickock as a character and showed his death. He was shot in the back of the head while playing poker. The Dead Mans Hand (Jeopardy answer) were the cards he was holding at the time of his murder. This is the second day in a row I found a reference between Deadwood and Jeopardy. Who knew the former could be so educational? Not to mention awesome. (BTW: Not for viewers who dislike swearing and nudity.)

• Love 6