Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn’t think Cliff Clavin’s FJ wager was ballsy, either.  It was stupid.

Geezy pete. Think about it. Cliff Clavin. I was making a joke about FJ wagering. You guys are way harsher than normal tonight.

• Love 2

I was all in for Maya.  Then she made that ridiculous FJ wager.  She was impressive, and I wouldn't mind her winning, but there was absolutely no reason for that wager.

Anyway.....

I got rogue, caucus, and sycophant tonight.  I should have gotten some others, but I was only half watching for part of the game.

FJ=instaget.  I was surprised that Maya was the only one that answered correctly and even she wasn't sure.

• Love 7

Good for Maya; I was rooting for her, and am surprised she was the only one who got FJ.  But that has nothing on my reaction to the Lincoln TS.  Rogue was surprising as a TS, sycophant mildly so, and then there's that one.  Stunning? Stupefying?  I may need a new word; I’m still sputtering in disbelief.  Not one of three high school students who made it to the semi-finals of the teen tournament on J! know one of the key phrases of the Gettysburg Address?!  None of these kids knowing The X-Files made me sad.  But that one makes me mad.  I don't understand Maya's FJ wager, either, but that TS is my true head scratcher for the night.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

Maya... *shakes head* Boy was that a dumb move. She got very lucky that she got it right and the others got it wrong or she would have thrown away a guaranteed win.

And as for why the boys even bet anything, when it was a runaway game, well that shows you why! Because if the guaranteed winner doesn’t think straight and does something stupid, one of the others could actually win!

She looked very surprised when Alex said it was a runaway and she didn’t have to bet anything, so I don’t know what she was thinking. I’d say she forgot she wasn’t playing for cash, but I don’t think any of the teen tournament games are actually played for the cash totals.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Alex “How does it feel to be part of the Claire Satler show?” was a bit unexpected.

He was just miffed that he couldn't turn the interview around to HIM and his experiences. He is all about one-upping the contestant!

• Love 2

Just catching up from the last three nights

Very stupid bet by Maya.  She doesn't get to keep any "money" her

e, its just a scorekeeping device, so there was no need at all to bet as much as she did.  But glad she won

Not as bad but similar on one of the earlier episodes in the week, stupid daily double wagering a couple of times.  Low bets when near the end of double jeopardy that should have been higher to try and put them in the lead

Alex did get a laugh out of me when he said to Tim something like, "Well, we ran out of time." 

I know, alex pulling out the one liners not once but TWICE in the interviews!!  Shocked me. 

Claire's interview was rambling and pointless though.  Basically she was in a play and her microphone broke in the middle of the play.  Then she fixed it. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, opus said:

So Maya speaks 4 languages, reads 6, but not so strong at math?

I believe that language & math are different sides of the brain :)  I can never remember which side is "creative" and which is "logical". I think it's right=creative (language) & left=logical (math).

58 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I believe that language & math are different sides of the brain :)  I can never remember which side is "creative" and which is "logical". I think it's right=creative (language) & left=logical (math).

This is an artificial construct with no actual basis in anatomy or physiology of neuroscience. 

• Love 6

I think Maya forgot that scores aren't cumulative yet at this part of the tournament. Hopefully she's still willing to make those gutsy wagers when it counts in the finals.  She impressed me; I'll be rooting for her.

Lots of misses I thought were easy this time.  I got rogue, salmon, caucus, Cruz, sycophant, unethical, 54-40 or fight, Lincoln.  I even got X-Files, which was a total guess, but that was the only show I could think of with FBI agents.  I was guessing on FJ too, but felt reasonably sure. I didn't know Betsy Ross had a Quaker background, but textiles, Revolutionary era, woman ... yeah.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

So did anyone else notice Alex holding onto Maya's hand for what seemed like FOREVER during the end credits?  She looked down at it and seemed really uncomfortable.  It was creepy.

I noticed that as well. I'm guessing he was giving her a stern talking about her betting. He was probably telling her she had a guarantee win and her wager could have cost her the game because her face like "Oh shit..."

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, laffytaffy997 said:

I noticed that as well. I'm guessing he was giving her a stern talking about her betting. He was probably telling her she had a guarantee win and her wager could have cost her the game because her face like "Oh shit..."

Interesting.  I had already turned the TV off, so I didn't see that interaction.  But I did notice that before revealing the FJ category, he didn't note she'd made it a runaway like he normally does in those situations.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Bad wager by Maya, but I'm glad it worked out for her!  She was pretty impressive, other than the FJ bet.  Not sure why the boys bet anything, either, for that matter.

Is there a difference in prize money between 2nd & 3rd in tournaments?  If so, that's probably why.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also managed to get rogue, Lincoln (surprising TS), salmon, caucuses, Ted Cruz, and sycophant. 

I got all of those except salmon (thought of it but settled on trout instead), and the X-Files as well.  I also wondered about the Lincoln TS.  I know the beginning of the Gettysburg Address is more famous, but that last line is pretty famous, too.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This is an artificial construct with no actual basis in anatomy or physiology of neuroscience. 

But it does make for a great joke about left-handers being the only ones in their right mind.

1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

54-40 or fight

I remembered the 40, but couldn't think of the 54.  I said 48-40.  Also didn't get unethical, but I suck at anagrams anyway.

I was starting to think I didn't know any title kids in ya literature, but then Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret? came up.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was starting to think I didn't know any title kids in ya literature, but then Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret? came up.

I was delighted that a boy got it right, too. I always thought more boys should read that book. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Is there a difference in prize money between 2nd & 3rd in tournaments?  If so, that's probably why.

There is a difference (I think 2d place is guaranteed $50,000 and 3d place is guaranteed $25,000) but that is based only on the two day finals scores. All the semi-final scores do is decide who goes to the finals. The money doesn't carry over. I think Maya just didn't realize she had a runaway. I too noticed that Alex didn't say anything about it, maybe to spare the other two contestants' feelings.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

There is a difference (I think 2d place is guaranteed $50,000 and 3d place is guaranteed $25,000) but that is based only on the two day finals scores. All the semi-final scores do is decide who goes to the finals. The money doesn't carry over. I think Maya just didn't realize she had a runaway. I too noticed that Alex didn't say anything about it, maybe to spare the other two contestants' feelings.

I know Maya's score doesn't carry over.  But I was talking about the two boys, other than hoping that Maya bet big and got it wrong, was there any benefit to them betting a lot?  Do the non-finalists all get prize money?

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Do the non-finalists all get prize money?

Yes, the eliminated semi-finalists get prize money, but their scores don't matter to it -- all eliminated semi-finalists get the same amount ($10k, last I read).

Edited by Bastet
Because the "don't" was a pretty important word to include
  • Love 2

I was curious so I found this Wikipedia link, quarterfinalists get $5K and semifinalists get $10K. The finalists get more based on their placement but there is no difference in the earlier rounds. (WARNING: if you scroll all the way down the page to the participant list, you might see a spoiler for the third finalist)

Edited by ClareWalks
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes, the eliminated semi-finalists get prize money, but their scores don't matter to it -- all eliminated semi-finalists get the same amount ($10k, last I read).

Thanks.  The boys' bets were just about hoping Maya would screw up then, I guess.

3 minutes ago, ABay said:

In J! history, the only 2 women in Revolutionary War-era America were Betsy Ross and Abigail Adams. Upholstery=sewing, so Betsy not Abby.

I would also add Molly Pitcher who aided the men in battle, if not fought beside them. 

Hooray for Emma!  And hooray for an all-girl final!  FJ was an instaget for me -- fearless was the part of the clue that gave it to me. 

Great game today, too.  Not too many TS, but the ones I wrote down include Baltic, Cirque du Soleil, and lacto-vegetarian. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lurk3000 said:

If you close your eyes during the game, you can actually picture a Care Bear playing Jeopardy. That's the nicest thing I could think of. 

I'm sorry, but it seems like there's not something right.  Did you see the bunnies on her collar?  She's obviously very smart, but something doesn't compute...

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I'm sorry, but it seems like there's not something right.  Did you see the bunnies on her collar?  She's obviously very smart, but something doesn't compute...

I thought she was Wednesday Addams for a minute. 

• Love 3

LOL at Alex using the opening to point out Maya’s FJ wager was a wholly unnecessary risk.  And bless him, trying to naturally bring Emma’s awkward interview to a close without just flat-out cutting her off, and then being genuinely amused by her “it teaches you to deal with difficult people” remark about learning how to milk goats having value in the workforce.  Also, can you imagine how much he must have loved reading the New Orleans clue?

As the game started, Emily wasn’t trying to ring in on as many clues as she had in her quarter-final game, so I wondered if my prediction for her success with her buzzer woes out of the way was off base, but she quickly returned to form; she has a broad knowledge base, I think the best of the finalists.  This was a good game, and I’m so excited by three girls in the finals.  Part of me is rooting for Maya, part for Emma, but I'll be happy with Claire, too.

Lords, I’m old, because I didn’t know a single answer in the music category.  In that first round, I didn’t know one of the fictional places, either.  I did better in the second round (I don't remember if I ran it, but I didn't miss many if I didn't) and I knew FJ, although it took some scrolling through my mental rolodex.

Rohan’s head slap at blood-curling instead of -curdling was great.  But I wish he hadn’t kept saying that entire category name; just say “Words for [$],” dude.  I found it interesting that all the answers at first were compound words, yet there was nothing about a hyphen in the category title, but then there was one in there that was that long on its own, I think.

I loathe the Cowboys, so the so-called "America's Team" being a TS made me guffaw.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

FJ was easy if you ever took Latin. Mel is honey. 6 years of Latin to the rescue. Emma is quite a player, Monday will be epic.

I think it was easy if you knew the meme "Honey badger don't care."

Besides that, I got the Cowboys and Cirque de Solei. (or however you spell it)

I like Emma. I like all three finalists.

• Love 4

Cowgirls was my only get tonight.  Like Bastet, I loathe the Cowgirls (especially after last Sunday's game).

I was unable to access honey badger from the part of my brain that holds useless information.

Maya for the win.  I trust she has received some lessons in wagering since her last game.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3

Another lifelong Cowboys hater here! Started watching football with Dad in the mid-70s, when the Bears were horrendous, so I started rooting for any major rival to Dallas. I still appreciate the Steelers and the Broncos. Other than their sheer dominance, I really hated those cheerleaders—I was delighted when Ditka got rid of the Bears’ cheerleaders.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think it was easy if you knew the meme "Honey badger don't care."

Besides that, I got the Cowboys and Cirque de Solei. (or however you spell it)

I like Emma. I like all three finalists.

I wanted Emma's answer to end with "He doesn't give a shit."  I really like all the finalists and am sorry that only one can win it all. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I must have blocked the Cowboys clue from my brain because I hate them, too!  But I have no specific recollection of any clue relating to them.  Hm.

it was pretty straightforward.  Basically Ezekiel Elliot and Dak Prescott are on this team?.  or group.  I forget the exact wording or category.  But it was the same category of Cirque de Soliel, they give a couple of examples and you name the group/team it was from. 

Still think they should be risking more in DJ on the Daily Doubles.  None of them are really taking advantage of those.  But it would not have mattered in the end when only the winner knew FJ on this one.