Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It finally twigged on me who Emma of the Little Voice made me think of. Look up clips of the Scottish actress Shirley Henderson; she plays Lucille Hardy opposite John C. Reilly in the upcoming STAN AND OLLIE, and was also "Moaning Myrtle" in a couple of Harry Potter films, among many others. She's in her 50s but is quite petite and dark-haired and has that voice. If a producer ever needed an actress to play a younger version of a Shirley Henderson character, they couldn't do better that Emma Arnold.

• Love 1

Hurray for the Hooiser winner!! 

I was hoping Dan might make it back into positives, but just missed it there at the end.

The other night for one of the FJ categories my blind guess before the questions/answer was revealed was Wilbur from Charlotte's Web.  Turns out I was just early, came up this latest game. 

And once again, Hamilton is an answer, sometime the last few nights. 

So why do they start the Teen Tournament on a Wednesday rather than on a Monday?  Is it because of Thanksgiving and they want it to end before then? Or they want it to be after the big voting day and results night on Tuesday? 

38 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So why do they start the Teen Tournament on a Wednesday rather than on a Monday?  Is it because of Thanksgiving and they want it to end before then? Or they want it to be after the big voting day and results night on Tuesday? 

I think it's the combination. This way they start it after Election Day and end it before Thanksgiving

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone outside my household mention "Hamish McBeth." Loved that show.

Oh gosh, I watched the entire series but it was on DVD given my lack of tv channels. I loved it too, except the episode about the dog.

• Love 2

I missed Friday's game due to the fire coverage. I even recorded the 9pm airing of Jeopardy yesterday, thinking it would be the right ep, but no. I wonder if we on the west coast will now be a day behind or if they'll just skip airing Friday's ep.

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I missed Friday's game due to the fire coverage. I even recorded the 9pm airing of Jeopardy yesterday, thinking it would be the right ep, but no. I wonder if we on the west coast will now be a day behind or if they'll just skip airing Friday's ep.

Usually the Los Angeles station just skips over it in those cases (e.g. the episode recently preempted for election coverage), but occasionally they've aired it the next day, putting us a day behind for the rest of the week until we're caught up by replacing the Saturday night re-run with Friday's game, so come Monday we're synced.  I suppose they might still do that since it was a tournament episode, but it's only the Teen Tournament and not even the finals of that, and they had the opportunity to use last night's post-football slot and didn't take it, so I think most if not all CA stations who preempted it for news coverage are just going to have us miss it rather than being a day behind all next week.  I haven't taken the time to read through it yet, but Friday's game is up on the J! Archive now, so you can at least see the clues, just not the actual game.

Edited by Bastet

Peeayebee, I hope you aren't close to the fires. It's so horrible on the news, it brings me to tears to just see that, I can't imagine living it. I hope you are safe.

Jeopardy might have aired during some crazy overnight time or perhaps they just canned that episode. I doubt you will be behind, but TPTB never listen to me. Try watching it online. That's what I do when I miss an episode. Makes life stress free when Jeopardy is starting in 20 minutes and I'm an hour away from home.

• Love 1

I just read Friday's clues on the archive, and while I'm sure I'd have felt sorry for him if Dan was a person on my screen, as just a name in red, I laughed out loud at some of his guesses.  Oh my.

I knew all the TS (although I didn't know some things the kids got right - I missed all the TV shows, one of the books, a few of the Disney things, and a videogame - so I didn't come close to running the game), and dome and alien blew me away when no one got them.  "Nose to the grindstone" was surprising, too.  But those first two, wow.  Not one of the three could look at a picture (which I couldn't see, but I know there was one in the clue) of a dome-shaped mountain and come up with "dome mountain" or read "non-citizen" and, especially in our current climate, come up with "alien"?

That's twice in just three games of this tournament that there has been a TV category, and twice that I have not known a single clue in said category.  I wonder if this dubious streak I have going will continue throughout the tournament.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Here in the SF Bay Area the episode aired on Saturday. (NBC 11 via DirecTV, if it matters)

Typically we get an older rerun on Saturdays, but since football season started it's been a bait and switch, saying it's J! but actually being college ball stuff. But I always check my recording before deleting to be sure. Happily this time was the missing episode!

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 1

I just saw Balloon Dog on the news. Remember him as a Jeopardy clue/answer? He was the highest selling piece of art done by a living artist, sold for $58.5 million (I know, I know). It is anticipated he will be knocked from that perch by a painting scheduled to sell by Christie's.

• Love 1

I thought all the contestants were fantastic today. If you had told me they were just young-looking 30 year olds, I would've believed you. It's amazing to me how mature these kids are.

• Love 7

Good grief -- I apparently need to pay more attention to world events.  I have no idea who's in the G7 (or who was in the G8).  So, yep, I missed FJ today.  It's a bad start, boys.

I did at least manage to get upright, Montpelier, horseshoe, and narcolepsy.  I laughed at the idea of nailing a rabbit's foot above the door, though.

• Love 6

I got "upright" piano since back in my day, every home had a piano. An upright one. That all kids took lessons on. I've been to auctions now where no one will even bid on an upright piano. Makes me sad. (Except I won't bid either.)

I grew up with horseshoes above the door to bring good luck, I was told. The toe of the shoe had to be pointing down though, or the luck will spill out.

I got tenor, and have no idea why. Also narcolepsy since that's one of my favorite words.

SHOUT OUT to our @opus for being the TS of the plural of opera.

I got FJ quite by a guess. Given there were only eight countries involved, I figured it had to be a large one so that left out Iran, Iraq, et. al. So I picked by the "one of these things is not like the others" Sesame Street method and came up with Russia.

I know. It shocked me too.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

I had a good night. I got most of the  TSers...  I debrained out on FJ. Duh. 

What is happening in CA reminds me to tell y’all to have a fire extinguisher in your home. They also make a good Christmas presents. One year I gave them to everyone in my family. My nephew had a fire cooking tacos (huh...how?) but used his and nothing major happened. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is happening in CA reminds me to tell y’all to have a fire extinguisher in your home.

Great idea Mindthinkr; thanks. I've done articles about having a "go" package always ready if you have pets. I almost had to use my own advice when an underground gas line exploded two miles from me. Homes within one mile were evacuated. You could see the fireball hundreds of miles away. You never know.

Tacos ... yum. Ha ha.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

SHOUT OUT to our @opus for being the TS of the plural of opera

Which of course I missed. My father loved opera, but I didn’t inherit that love (my tastes run more towards cartoon penguins).

• Love 6

Tonight I got upright, horseshoe, narcolepsy, and opus (shout out!!!!).

FJ=instaget, mostly because I watch a lot of MSNBC.

Also, I'm taking it as a personal shout out that WtP was part of a clue.

• Love 6

Between Jack’s outfit, hair, and wave to the camera, I came away from the introductions lecturing myself on being judgmental.

Instead of a TV category I bombed completely, this game it was a Movie category.  Otherwise, I had a good game.

Upright (piano), horseshoe, tenor (especially because of the wrong guesses), and narcolepsy all surprised me at least a bit as TS.  Opus might have surprised me, too, if Mr. Holland’s Opus wasn’t “before their time.”  Nah; I think a lot of people have no idea what that word means.

Bears in one area learning to care for their cubs longer because they’re not hunted there until they’re done is fucking awesome.

The J! curse at work, that Sessions was ousted from the job shortly before he was asked about in a game?

And is it really noteworthy to J! writers that blazers are worn by women/girls as well as men/boys?

Okay, back to football (yep, the Giants are so bad this season, I'm taking a break from one of their games to watch teenagers.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The J! curse at work, that Sessions was ousted from the job shortly before he was asked about in a game?

I was dreading a Stan Lee question tonight.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, opus said:

I was dreading a Stan Lee question tonight.

I thought of that in the middle of the night. RIP Stan Lee. I always figured he would live forever. Marvel is the best. I had the most huge crush on Daredevil back when. It was irritating that no one paid attention to him, and his movies tanked while Spiderman took off.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:12 AM, kathyk24 said:

The Handmaid's Tale is based on a novel by Margaret Atwood. It's possible they read it for English class.

I suppose.  It's not something we read in school, but then, that was in the Dark Ages, lol.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

Missing the DD didn't help, either, but if "lamp" is in the insect's name, you might want to try something that lights up.  Maybe he lives in an urban area that doesn't have fireflies.

We call the lightning bugs where I live - think they'd have accepted that?

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, Gimmick Genius said:

It finally twigged on me who Emma of the Little Voice made me think of. Look up clips of the Scottish actress Shirley Henderson; she plays Lucille Hardy opposite John C. Reilly in the upcoming STAN AND OLLIE, and was also "Moaning Myrtle" in a couple of Harry Potter films, among many others. She's in her 50s but is quite petite and dark-haired and has that voice. If a producer ever needed an actress to play a younger version of a Shirley Henderson character, they couldn't do better that Emma Arnold.

Yep, that's who I thought of as well.  She's a good actress, but I have difficulty watching her because of the voice.  Which is very unfortunate because she's the love interest in a movie I adore starring an actor I have the hots for.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, Isobel in "Hamish Macbeth" - I never noticed anything particularly "high" about her voice.

Really?  I wish I was that lucky.  Although it's not so much that her voice is high; it's more the whispery little girl thing which bugs the crap out of me.  I hated Isobel.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got FJ quite by a guess. Given there were only eight countries involved, I figured it had to be a large one so that left out Iran, Iraq, et. al. So I picked by the "one of these things is not like the others" Sesame Street method and came up with Russia.

I got it because the president was trying to get Russia added back in at some point in the last year.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I too got upright, horseshoe, and narcolepsy, with the DD of Montpelier. I had no idea that opera is the plural of opus. Cool.

Got FJ too. 

I wasn't sure about opus, but took a chance on it.

Edited by proserpina65
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I got it because the president was trying to get Russia added back in at some point in the last year.

I got it because I tried to remember what happened four years ago that would get a country tossed out (or whatever happened) and I remembered the Ukraine. Which is something of a hail Mary pass for me, I seldom remember the year things happened unless it directly impacted me. The brain, she is dumping data these days.

• Love 4

I feel sorry for Maggie...if she had bet nothing, she would have grabbed the last wild card spot! Of course, if she had gotten it right, she'd have been the automatic winner with her bet. 

• Love 7

Lots of TSs tonight. I got red, fainting goats (I think they are horrible, can't understand anyone wanting one much less breeding them to create more, but I see them for sale in spite of what I think), shy, Tesla and Daytona. Stock car was the key to that last one.

For FJ I said Robinson Crusoe and was all set to join the group of posters here who complain that Teen Jeopardy is so easy they refuse to watch. Then the correct answer was revealed.

*sigh*

But hooray for Autumn's fabulous red hair. Love it, girl!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Lots of TSs tonight. I got red, fainting goats (I think they are horrible, can't understand anyone wanting one much less breeding them to create more, but I see them for sale in spite of what I think), shy, Tesla and Daytona. Stock car was the key to that last one.

For FJ I said Robinson Crusoe and was all set to join the group of posters here who complain that Teen Jeopardy is so easy they refuse to watch. Then the correct answer was revealed.

*sigh*

But hooray for Autumn's fabulous red hair. Love it, girl!

I got all those except Daytona.  Did not get FJ.

Liked Autumn's hair, but her speaking pace was staccato, which I didn't like.

• Love 2

Pretty good night here. I got Red, Malta, and  Wuthering Heights in the first round. Also the DD of Julius Caesar. 

I forgot which girl but when she answered the question about the camp she said Emma Robert. I thought their last name (both Julia and Emma's) is Roberts. I thought after the commercial Alex would correct that answer, but they let it go. 

In the second round I got fainting goats (I agree with @saber5055 on that one), shy, Tesla and as a NASCAR fan got the Daytona. My first guess on FJ was Catch-22 until Alex gave the additional clue re: the conch horn. Then I knew I was wrong and it was Lord of the Flies. Ah well. 

I was happy for the two teens that moved on. 

• Love 5
On 11/11/2018 at 10:01 AM, Clanstarling said:

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone outside my household mention "Hamish McBeth." Loved that show.

Me too not that impressed with the Agatha raisin series though

• Love 4

Mother Grundoon59 refers to the tv Agatha as the unreal Agatha since she loves the books so much.  I am afraid to have her watch Hamish since she loves those books more.

Actually looking forward to the finals of the Tournament- the kids have been impressive. 

• Love 3

I totally misinterpreted "shell" in FJ, and thought it meant like a bomb instead of a seashell, and said "All Quiet On The Western Front".  Maybe one day I'll actually read "Lord Of The Flies" -- then I'll get these Teen Tournament clues!  Also, I take back what I said last week about digging this tournament.  I am 0/2 so far this week.  Boo, hiss.

I guess Maggie was nervous -- she acted like she didn't want to be there.  I did feel bad for her, but at least she got to play in FJ.  Autumn's hair is glorious.

I'll sit over here in my lonely corner, liking the fainting goats.  They crack me up.  I know, I know, but I can't help but laugh when they fall over.  And Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs could not for the life of him startle one enough for it to fall over.  Anyway, I got that TS, along with red, Wuthering Heights, Pan, shy, and Tesla.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I totally misinterpreted "shell" in FJ, and thought it meant like a bomb instead of a seashell, and said "All Quiet On The Western Front".  Maybe one day I'll actually read "Lord Of The Flies" -- then I'll get these Teen Tournament clues!  Also, I take back what I said last week about digging this tournament.  I am 0/2 so far this week.  Boo, hiss.

I guess Maggie was nervous -- she acted like she didn't want to be there.  I did feel bad for her, but at least she got to play in FJ.  Autumn's hair is glorious.

Yes, the Teen Tournament loves Lord of the Flies. There was a previous year's FJ where the answer was "Who is Piggy?", and there was no way to know that without having read the book. 

I hate to root against a kid, but Maggie's "This sucks" vibe turned me off her. Agree on Autumn's hair. One of our recent grads had hair just like hers, and her senior quote was "I'm not Merida."

• Love 4

These kids were great; I think this was the best game of the tourney since the first one.  I particularly liked Autumn and Maggie.  I was rooting for Autumn, but I liked how Maggie's serious demeanor would light up when she got something right she obviously wasn't entirely sure about.

Red for carmine popped immediately out of my mouth (yes, I play along out loud), yet I had no idea I knew that.

Shy was a very surprising TS, so I have to think they all forgot the category since it was the first clue chosen in that category.  Tesla was just surprising, period.  Also Daytona after the others guessed Indy.  

Fainting goats as a TS made me a little sad; they entertain me, and whenever my cats fall over to be petted, I say, “Fainting goat!” (or, “Aw, you just collapsed under the weight of your cuteness”).

For the wrong answer of “coalition” for “alliance,” wasn’t coalition in the clue or did I just imagine that?

Damn videogames category; it stood in for TV shows to keep my “pop culture categories go completely unanswered” streak alive in this tournament.  I also managed to stare dumbly at the TV for a few of the album clues, but I got everything else.

Unless another poster and I both misunderstood her, yes, Maggie said Emma Robert, rather than Roberts, and I was expecting a correction.

The announcement of the slate of semi-finalists made me happy for its diversity, and I’m glad Emma qualified; I look forward to seeing how she does having worked out her initial buzzer woes.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I totally misinterpreted "shell" in FJ, and thought it meant like a bomb instead of a seashell

I did the same, but I couldn't come up with any novel. I couldn't come up with any British novelist from that time. My mind was blank.

I got red, Malta, Wuthering Heights, shy, Tesla, and Daytona (after the two wrong answers, so I didn't really get it).

The fainting goats cracked me up.

How is "pink flamingo" a pun in nail polish color?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Unless another poster and I both misunderstood her, yes, Maggie said Emma Robert, rather than Roberts, and I was expecting a correction.

If so, there were three of us that misheard, then.

28 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I hate to root against a kid, but Maggie's "This sucks" vibe turned me off her. 

I wouldn't say that caused me to root against her, but at the end I DID think, "Thanks for playing, young Aubrey Plaza."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I laugh every time Teen Jeopardy opens and The Thinker dabs.

Same here. Then I remember how much I hate the dab.  When it first became popular, several times a day, some random boy would break out the dab in the middle of the classroom.  Or in the cafeteria.  Or in the hallway.  Or at recess.  You get my point.  I hate the damn dab!  Don't even get me started on water bottle flipping. 

Now get the hell off my lawn.  

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was happy for the two teens that moved on. 

I really liked Autumn.  Loved Rohan's reaction when he found out he was going through.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I totally misinterpreted "shell" in FJ, and thought it meant like a bomb instead of a seashell, and said "All Quiet On The Western Front".  Maybe one day I'll actually read "Lord Of The Flies" -- .  

I also thought of bombs first, but couldn't come up with anything. For no particular reason, I also haven't read it, I settled on Lord of the Flies.  I was surprised to find out it was the right answer.

Tonight I got red, Wuthering Heights, shy, Tesla, and FJ.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

It was the 100 year anniversary of the Armistice signing on Sunday so I can see why your mind might have went there with respect to WWI.  We had to read "The Lord of the Flies" my sophomore year in high school. 

1 hour ago, SHD said:

I wouldn't say that caused me to root against her, but at the end I DID think, "Thanks for playing, young Aubrey Plaza."

She did remind me of her also. It was such a contrast to Autumn who I did appreciate for abbreviating categories and amounts. Not too many people do that, despite the fact that they specifically suggest you do that at the audition.  

• Love 3

Poor Maggie. That was a heart-breaker. Although I didn't get FJ either. It's been too long since I was in high school English class. I don't think Lord of the Flies is a book anyone reads unless it's assigned. The first thing I thought of was Robert Graves' Good-bye to All That although I knew it was too early. I also thought of The Winds of War - it was at least the right time period, but American, the same as Maggie's decent guess of Catch-22.

They missed a couple of what seemed like Toddler Jeopardy clues, but I guess they were "easy if you know it." It seems like all the kids have somewhat surprising gaps in their knowledge. A bunch of stuff that was common knowledge back in the day seems to have disappeared in this generation. I got red (carmine), Wuthering Heights, Red Dead Redemption (I have 13-year-old son - the only one I missed in the video game category was Deus Ex, which he doesn't play. Apparently it's a somewhat older game and none of his friends play it.). Also got  Pan, fainting goats, shy and Tesla. Tesla was a surprising miss - my son and his friends seem to be obsessed with the cars and by extension, Elon Musk. He's always talking to me about what an interesting person Elon Musk is and how we should get a Tesla. Sure kid, when I win the lottery (or a lot of money on Jeopardy).

• Love 3

I have enjoyed the tournament so far.

Rohan was so happy and surprised when he found out he made it into the semi-finals - it made me smile.

I haven't bothered keeping track of my ts's through the tournament and haven't really done all that well on FJ's. Like others here, I thought of the wrong kind of shell and didn't get FJ until Alex said something about a conch shell, then I knew what it was.

Should be a very good semi-final - these kids are really smart.  And, of course, Autumn will win for best hair:)

• Love 3