Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Fortunately, I watch the Tony Awards every year! 

That's how I knew it.

I will be happy to snark on someone's hair/hairstyle, clothing choices (ugh, cold shoulder), swaying or leaning, and vocal tics (fry, upspeak, starting a sentence with "so"), but I won't snark on something that a contestant can't change.  Or perhaps has tried to change, but hasn't quite managed (weight, voice timbre or pitch, etc.).

• Love 3

I finally watched yesterday's episode (Wednesday) online. I thought clues were pretty average, no easier or more difficult than a normal game. I knew some, didn't know others that the teens did know. So, it was a typical show for me.

My only problem was the answer of "eagle" for the national symbol needed a BMS. There are different kinds of eagles, and our national symbol is the bald eagle, as Trebek filled in. Bald eagles are quite different from golden eagles. But letting that answer go without a BMS is how this show has been lately so no surprise. Side note: We have hundreds of bald eagles here in the winter that fish the open water by the lock and dams on the Mississippi. People come from all across the United States (and some foreign countries) to photograph them.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Can you imagine the shit Emma gets in daily life for her voice, yet she still decided, "Fuck it.  I just qualified to compete on the gold standard of quiz shows, so yes, I am putting myself on national television for all of social media to mock, because I am smart and prepared and I could win this thing."  Good for Emma.  I hope her score winds up qualifying her, because, like I said, she was beaten to the buzzer on a lot of clues; if she indeed had the right answer on most of those, she's got the kind of knowledge to just kill it at this game.  I'd be curious to see how she performed a second time, with some buzzer practice under her belt. 

Totally agree. I have a voice that has been mocked plenty of times (it is pretty deep and nasal and "dorky") and there's nothing that can be done about it. She is a brave chick for sure, and smart as a whip.

• Love 6
On 11/6/2018 at 7:25 PM, saber5055 said:

Matt Bomer can stand on stage for an hour and a half and my report would be "It was very very good."

I love all the actors in the cast. If I didn't live on the opposite coast, and if I had enough money to afford a ticket (I hear they're pretty outrageously priced), this is one play I'd love to see.

On 11/6/2018 at 8:04 PM, saber5055 said:

Yes, it was a good story and one I appreciated. Because I am the first and only one in my family to attend college too. Plus I had to work to put myself through, paying every dime myself through multiple jobs and eating Kraft mac and cheese (15 cents a box!) cooked over sterno because I couldn't afford a stove. So I'm a little jaded when it comes to certain people telling me how tough they have it.

I now have a big hate for mac and cheese though, won't touch it.

Saber, we're twinsies. I was the first (but not the only) to attend and graduate college, and I lived on mac & cheese and hot dogs. Though I still love the mac, but don't eat hotdogs much.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:41 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

FJ was so easy I thought it was a trick.  C1.....seemed obvious, but then as a neurologist I shouldn't miss that.  L1?  COME ON!!

For some very stupid reason I got C3 stuck in my head (maybe that was what Christopher Reeves broke), and even though I'm telling myself that couldn't be true given the wording of the clue, I just couldn't let it go. Sigh. This is not a good FJ week for me.

20 hours ago, opus said:

I answered Mean Girls :(

Me too. Though I have heard of the play - someone from it was on Colbert once.

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

It’s like that show, Are You Smarter Than a Whatever-Grader? – of course you are, but one of them may still answer a particular question when you can’t, because it’s fresh in their mind and one of a relative handful of things they know, while it’s just one of the numerous things you’ve learned and forgotten over the years.

I never saw the upside of that show. If you win - yeah, you know more than a 5th grader, so what? If you lose - well, that's embarrassing.

48 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:
  4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Can you imagine the shit Emma gets in daily life for her voice, yet she still decided, "Fuck it. 

I hope that Emma, or any teen smart enough to quality for Jeopardy. is not using that most disgusting and obnoxious swear word. Or at least I hope she waits until she's older and is posting on online tv-show forums. I also hope Emma's friends, family and acquaintances accept her for who she is, not for who they think she should be according to some imaginary standard they (imperfect as THEY are) hold.

• Love 1

Oh my. Just saw a promo for the teen tournament. With the kids all dancing around... Oh please leave those kids alone!

Edited to add:  awww! All three teens got a good for you!

And, another Hamilton answer!

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2

I'm kinda digging these Teen Tourney FJs -- another instaget for me!  Woo hoo!  Now I'll probably whiff tomorrow's.....

Glad they reversed Caleb's answer of "Pippa" Longstocking -- I was annoyed at Alex for filling in the correct response. 

Not only did we get a "Good for you!" for each contestant, we got a "Women Authors" category!  Good for us.  :) 

There were a few TS I was stumped on, but the ones I got (and wrote down) include Park, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and tetanus.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Can you imagine the shit Emma gets in daily life for her voice, yet she still decided, "Fuck it.  I just qualified to compete on the gold standard of quiz shows, so yes, I am putting myself on national television for all of social media to mock, because I am smart and prepared and I could win this thing."  Good for Emma.  I hope her score winds up qualifying her, because, like I said, she was beaten to the buzzer on a lot of clues; if she indeed had the right answer on most of those, she's got the kind of knowledge to just kill it at this game.  I'd be curious to see how she performed a second time, with some buzzer practice under her belt. 

I noticed that she was answering many more clues as the game progressed, which I took as a sign that buzzer issues were her problem, rather than lack of knowledge.

As for her voice, I also thought of Bernadette from Big Bang Theory and felt badly for how difficult that voice must make things for her. I suspect many people have a hard time taking her seriously, which will be a bigger problem as she grows.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm kinda digging these Teen Tourney FJs -- another instaget for me!  Woo hoo!  Now I'll probably whiff tomorrow's.....

Glad they reversed Caleb's answer of "Pippa" Longstocking -- I was annoyed at Alex for filling in the correct response. 

Not only did we get a "Good for you!" for each contestant, we got a "Women Authors" category!  Good for us.  :) 

There were a few TS I was stumped on, but the ones I got (and wrote down) include Park, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and tetanus.

Me, too. Although the only TS I wrote down was police academy. I thought the clue for that one was badly worded, and that it couldn't possibly be as easy as police academy. But then they also described a stop sign, so there's that. That one really was Toddler Jeopardy. Seriously, 3-year olds know what stop signs look like.

If they hadn't reversed "Pippa" Longstocking, I might have had to write them a strongly worded email of complaint.

• Love 2

I thought the difficulty level today was all over the place. Some of them (like the stop sign, WTF) were ridiculously easy. Some of them seemed totally obscure to me, like basically all the TV shows (and I watch a lot of TV). There were also several times when I thought the lowest-price clue was the hardest one in the category.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

There were also several times when I thought the lowest-price clue was the hardest one in the category.

With all the board-jumping, I couldn't keep up with whether we were on the lowest or highest value clue. 

• Love 2

I thought Caleb looked like a young Ken Jennings, and Rotimi resembled Colby Burnett. Except I forgot Colby doesn't wear glasses, but if he did, Rotimi could be his young doppelganger.

I finally got a FJ, my first one in eight games. And only because Napoleon is always pictured on a horse, plus there were enough hints in the clue that helped a dolt like me to get it. So, yeay me.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought Caleb looked like a young Ken Jennings, and Rotimi resembled Colby Burnett. Except I forgot Colby doesn't wear glasses, but if he did, Rotimi could be his young doppelganger.

Between the glasses and the outfit, Rotimi was serving me "Chidi from The Good Place" realness :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I noticed that she was answering many more clues as the game progressed, which I took as a sign that buzzer issues were her problem, rather than lack of knowledge.

As for her voice, I also thought of Bernadette from Big Bang Theory and felt badly for how difficult that voice must make things for her. I suspect many people have a hard time taking her seriously, which will be a bigger problem as she grows.

If all else fails, she could find voice work for animated movies/TV.  It took a few minutes to get used to her voice, but I started looking forward to hearing her speak.   I'll bet that some people visibly startle, the first time they hear her.  She's so darn cute -- those dimples! 

I'm impressed with all the teens we've seen so far, especially the freshmen. 

• Love 1

I squeed at "Park"!  Rainbow Rowell used to write a newspaper column for the Omaha World Herald, and I've read  all of her books, so I knew it.

Got FJ - good for me! ;-)

The teens are doing quite well, aren't they?

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1

I surprised myself by taking a break from football to watch this game; football vs. teenagers and I picked the teens?  Not as interesting a match as last night, but still worth it.  I’m sure my neighbors, used to me yelling at football, wondered why I was hollering, “Pippi!”

Damn the Broadway Debuts category; Chris Evans and the Harry Potter character kept me from running the first round.  The TV characters category kept me from running the second; I didn’t know any of those!

Alex, reading the category titles: “World Geography – sounds easy.”
Me: “Yeah, because it’ll probably be a series of maps with highlighted countries.”

It turned out, though, that I thought most of those clues were appropriate for a teen tournament.  The stop sign clue, however – that should only appear in a toddler tournament.  Or Celebrity Jeopardy.

Alex, reading the category titles: “Women Authors”
Me: <growl>

In that one, Elizabeth Barrett Browning was surprising as a TS, especially with Emily Dickinson ruled out.

I’m not necessarily surprised only one of them got FJ, but I am surprised only one of them read the clue properly to understand the leader was returning from Russia, not a Russian himself.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was really glad "Pippa" got reversed. I was sitting here saying "No, it's Pippi!" and the husband was arguing with me that it is Pippa. Ha! I was right.

• Love 5

I got Elizabeth Barrett Browning and the DD of Academy. That was a weird one. I also got FJ. Seemed pretty easy.

I don't think I've heard of that part of a chair called a splat.

I was a little surprised at some of the TV clues for a teen tournament. Seems like some would not be appropriate for a teenager. Maybe I'm being too conservative.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was a little surprised at some of the TV clues for a teen tournament. Seems like some would not be appropriate for a teenager. Maybe I'm being too conservative.

I might agree if I had ever heard of any of them much less knew what they were about. That category was full of stumpers for me. I do know Walking Dead -- I had to stop watching it seasons ago, too rough for me.

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Me either, and I used to buy/refinish/sell antique chairs. Go figure. I think one of the players answered it, too.

41 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

The teens are doing quite well, aren't they?

I'm especially impressed during the interviews. They are all so well spoken, polite and articulate. I hope they can keep those attributes into adulthood.

I did get the DD/TS of tetanus since I'm a regular for getting tetanus shots. I had a dog contract tetanus some years ago after he got kicked by a horse. What a nightmare. He spent a long time in university vet hospital, they had never seen a tetanus dog before. His case history is now used to teach students.

• Love 3

I thought I misheard on Pippa until closed captioning clearly said it.  Then they took so long to correct it that I started doubting myself again.

I agree Rotimi = young Chidi.

Finally I was in my grumpy old lady mode saying why were the asking kids about characters on Fear the Walking Dead and Handmaid's Tale.  Making my way to the old folks home now.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Reporting in - My son says yes, that's how she talks. She was at skating camp with him this summer. He was excited that someone he knows was on Jeopardy!.

Thanks for the update. 

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

If all else fails, she could find voice work for animated movies/TV. 

A lot of people on twitter said the same thing.  Of course, those comments were mixed in with some truly vicious ones.

40 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I’m not necessarily surprised only one of them got FJ, but I am surprised only one of them read the clue properly to understand the leader was returning from Russia, not a Russian himself.

I didn't get the answer, but I did figure out that much.

My only get tonight was academy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I haven't either; I only got it from the other half of the clue, the sound a grapefruit makes upon hitting the ground (or something like that).  And, judging from the way she answered, I think that's how the contestant knew it, too.  So the chair part is my learn something new for the day.

27 minutes ago, lb60 said:

My only get tonight was academy.

I was a little surprised he didn't get that DD, but I guess the Police Academy movies are well before his time, and if he doesn't watch cop shows in general or have an interest in law enforcement, police training class = academy wouldn't be a given to him.  I also think citing one academy's focus on gun training (or whatever it said; I've already forgotten specifics) sent him off down the wrong path, trying to think of a word that tied into that instead of just answering the fundamental, "What's the police training course called?" question.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I didn't get the answer, but I did figure out that much.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh. So thanks for that. I also love that your avatar is so pleased with himself. You know there is another Pooh (or two) roaming around here ...

• Love 1

I have a high voice like Emma's. I think Alex needs to stop the accents. If I read the clue sometimes I won't know the answer but if he reads the clue I'll get it. Tonight's Daily Double was a good example. I was glad they ruled Caleb wrong for Pippi Longstocking. I thought Lois Lowery should have been a BMS.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Between the glasses and the outfit, Rotimi was serving me "Chidi from The Good Place" realness :)

I was really rooting for Rotimi, and maybe that is subconsciously why, but he was so polite and articulate and I liked how he answered the questions about his soccer team.  I'm sure he will do very well in life with those qualities plus obviously being very intelligent.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I watch Fear the Walking Dead--and I was so proud of them for not being familiar with that trainwreck of a show!

• Love 3

Splat....mmmm o.k.   It is a surprise to me what we take the time to name.   I was losing my mind until they corrected Pippa to Pippi.  Actually I had a hard time understanding a few of the winner's answers. After yesterday, today was a bit of a disappointment. 

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hope that Emma, or any teen smart enough to quality for Jeopardy. is not using that most disgusting and obnoxious swear word. Or at least I hope she waits until she's older and is posting on online tv-show forums. I also hope Emma's friends, family and acquaintances accept her for who she is, not for who they think she should be according to some imaginary standard they (imperfect as THEY are) hold.

Aw, Saber, it's my very favorite swear word. There are so many ways to use it - I am a connoisseur.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

Bernadette didn't have that voice originally - the actress kept pitching it higher as time went on.  But women's voices get deeper as they get older, just as men's do - just not as drastically and as obviously.

10 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Finally I was in my grumpy old lady mode saying why were the asking kids about characters on Fear the Walking Dead and Handmaid's Tale.  Making my way to the old folks home now.

I had the same feeling with Handmaid's Tale, so I'm on my way to meet you. As for FotWD, it's a losing game to keep the teens away from anything about zombies.

8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I have a high voice like Emma's. I think Alex needs to stop the accents. If I read the clue sometimes I won't know the answer but if he reads the clue I'll get it. Tonight's Daily Double was a good example. I was glad they ruled Caleb wrong for Pippi Longstocking. I thought Lois Lowery should have been a BMS.

Is there another author with "Lowery" who meets the clue criteria (I believe they mentioned an alliterative name).

• Love 7
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Elizabeth Barrett Browning and the DD of Academy. That was a weird one. I also got FJ. Seemed pretty easy.

I also got Academy - Police Academy movies

I don't recall when I learned "splat" for that part of a chair, possibly from Antiques Roadshow.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Is there another author with "Lowery" who meets the clue criteria (I believe they mentioned an alliterative name).

I feel like when the clue or category gives you a hint like alliterative name, or the category is say "LL Authors", the contestant should have to give the whole name to make it fit the category/clue.

Edited by ChromaKelly
  • Love 11
On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was confused about the National Geographic Mars category because I didn't know if this was a fictional series or a documentary they were mentioning.  I assumed it was a documentary.  I didn't know National Geographic did fictional series. 

I think the Mars series is their first fictional series.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, saber5055 said:

I was gone for today's show so will have to view it online to see if I qualify for Are You Smarter Than A Teenager. I did look up FJ on TheJeopardyFan so I could add it to our contest. I saw the category and immediately said "HAMILTON!" Because all Broadway clues are about Hamilton, right? So instead the answer was some show I've never heard of. Go figure.

So I readily admit I am NOT smarter than a teenager.

Speaking of irritating voices, I caught the pilot episode of Will and Grace last week and didn't recognize Megan Mullally, she had a regular speaking voice. By episode 2 she was starting to "bring it" and become the irritating "Karen."

I was surprised that it wasn't a Hamilton clue.  I did the same thing when I saw the category, and then said "Maybe Dear Evan Hansen".  Do I get credit for correctly guessing?

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, ChromaKelly said:

ALEX! It's Owings Mills, not Owings Mill (Emma's hometown, I live in the next town over). 

I corrected him on that, too.

I got maxim and tko.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, Bastet said:

Eagle should have prompted a BMS, not just filling it in for him (I'm sure he'd have promptly said "bald eagle," but still).

Yup.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, peeayebee said:

Still, I was glad that Maya won. I assumed many here would be pleased that she answered "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" rather than "Alice in Wonderland."

You would be correct. :-)

Edited to note that Emma's voice drove me up the wall, and I hope she isn't one of the wild card semi-finalists.  I realize she may not be able to help how she sounds, but it did really grate.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, SuperCam1 said:

WOW. picking on a kids voice this forum has really went to shit.

I don't think commenting that her voice was annoying is picking on her.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

was a little surprised at some of the TV clues for a teen tournament. Seems like some would not be appropriate for a teenager. Maybe I'm being too conservative.

I was a little surprised at The Handmaid's Tale - I wouldn't have thought teenagers were likely to watch that.

3 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I feel like when the clue or category gives you a hint like alliterative name, or the category is say "LL Authors", the contestant should have to give the whole name to make it fit the category/clue.

Fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

14 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

*getting my walker* Race you!

• Love 3

Man, my heart went out to Dan. I was really rooting for him at the end.

I thought the FJ wagers were odd.

I was getting a real Tracy Flick vibe from the girl on the right.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I just saw the dancing teens promo again, and now I can’t not see young Chidi. 

Man, that was a tough watch. Poor Dan just couldn't catch a break. And so many TS's. I got vandalism, lemur, IHop, alien, hemlock, anthrax and nose. There might have been more but I stopped writing them down. FJ was pretty easy. 

45 minutes ago, SHD said:

I think the end girl was bidding enough to win if she missed it and Audrey bet 0. It's always tough to figure out what to bet when your options aren't just winning, but coming in second with enough money to get a wild card slot.

• Love 3

Poor Dan!  I did feel bad for him at first, and rooted for him to get back on the plus side, but then he kept ringing in with some mighty goofy guesses.  Missing the DD didn't help, either, but if "lamp" is in the insect's name, you might want to try something that lights up.  Maybe he lives in an urban area that doesn't have fireflies.

FJ was another instaget for me!  Woo hoo!  5/5 and one asterisk.  There were an awful lot of TS this game, and ones I got (and wrote down) include vandalism, lemur, IHOP, alien, Shannara Chronicles, fireflies, hemlock, sequoia, anthrax, and nose.

49 minutes ago, SHD said:

Maybe they were trying to wager to make sure they made it to the next round?

• Love 5

I got most of the TSs although I did not keep track. Anthrax was a bad miss given all the anthrax-filled letters that were a "thing" a while back. Maybe that was Before Their Time. I also got IHOP since I get a free Rootie Tootie on my birthday, except they have changed it to just a stack of pancakes, omitting the Fresh And Fruity part.

Kids nowadays probably don't go out at night to catch lightning bugs in a jar. But that was a big thing back when I walked 10 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways. The cruel kids would cut off the bug's rear ends and make glowing "rings" out of them. Yeah, the butt continues to glow when disconnected from its body.

I have to say, I tanked on the whole tv category. That happens I guess, when your tv only gets two channels.

I did get FJ since the answer was my favorite holiday of all. It beats every other "special" day hands down.

• Love 6

I have never watched any of the TV shows that the entire Teen Tournament has referenced so far. Actually, I watched a couple eps of The 100 and Fear the Walking Dead and hated them, so. I am apparently far too old (in only my mid-30s) for this.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

This kid is embarrassing New Jersey. That's hard to do.

LOL!  The show is going to be preempted in Los Angeles for news coverage of the various fires in the area, so I came here to see what kind of game it was.  Sounds like I'll be missing a doozy.

The girls were both solid.  The boy got in the negative, flailed for a long time, launched an incredible comeback, then missed a big one that sealed his fate.  It was tough to watch.  I'm sure he beat tens of thousands of other kids to get that far, so I have to figure a different batch of categories may have yielded a different result.  I know I have categories, rounds, and days where I know practically every answer, then I have days that are the complete opposite.  It happens.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was a little surprised at The Handmaid's Tale - I wouldn't have thought teenagers were likely to watch that.

The Handmaid's Tale is based on a novel by Margaret Atwood. It's possible they read it for English class.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SHD said:

Man, my heart went out to Dan. I was really rooting for him at the end.

It was heartbreaking when he missed the last one. He made a lot of bad guesses, but was making a heroic comeback.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got most of the TSs although I did not keep track. Anthrax was a bad miss given all the anthrax-filled letters that were a "thing" a while back. Maybe that was Before Their Time. I also got IHOP since I get a free Rootie Tootie on my birthday, except they have changed it to just a stack of pancakes, omitting the Fresh And Fruity part.

If we're speaking of the same anthrax "thing" a while back, that was in 2001, one week after 9/11. So definitely before these kids' time.  (I didn't remember the one week part, but I do remember being overwhelmed by the effects of both things happening so close together).

• Love 1
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anthrax was a bad miss given all the anthrax-filled letters that were a "thing" a while back. Maybe that was Before Their Time. 

I think they just know anthrax a a white powder that gets sent in the mail, not that it's something we can catch from sheep.  The wording of the clue probably didn't help them much, whereas if it was referenced as being in the envelope, they may have gotten it.

As a person who has focused on learning about animals for a lifetime, I knew anthrax was a sheep disease, just like I know trichinosis can be found in pork. That was a real bug-a-boo when I dated a hog farmer for an extended period of time and wouldn't touch anything pork. I told him it was because of trichinosis, not because pork makes me break out in hives. He would flip out every time I said that word.

Hey, trichinosis could be a Jeopardy answer sometime.

You're welcome.

• Love 3