Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

But do you know the all the songs from Pippin?

Who doesn't? 

I'm pretty sure that the champ got Boys in the Band. 

I believe that she said Jersey Boys.  I saw Boys in the Band!  Because when Andrew Rannells is on stage, I am there. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I believe you're talking about the category on Monday's show about the series National Geographic's Mars.  Looking over the clues on the J! Archive, actually none of them really dealt with specific plotlines of the show.  There were videos of a dust storm and a solar flare that the contestants had to identify.  There was a clue that was supposedly about the name of the spacecraft on the show, but which really amounted to "Name the father of Icarus," There was "name the German scientist who became part of the American space program," and there was "name a common antibiotic invented in 1928."  All things that a reasonably prepared Jeopardy contestant should have a good chance of getting.  The tie-in with the TV show just lets Jeopardy get a little of that sweet, sweet NatGeo sponsorship money. :-)

Edited to add:  Now I feel dumb, cause I had no idea on Final Jeopardy.  The only thing I could think of was V-1.  It's gotta be the first vertebra, and they want it alphanumeric, so...V-1?  Or maybe 1-V?  I've literally never in my life heard the terms C-1 or L-1.  I had no idea there was any way to identify a specific vertebra other than to point to it on the X-ray and say "That one."

I was confused about the National Geographic Mars category because I didn't know if this was a fictional series or a documentary they were mentioning.  I assumed it was a documentary.  I didn't know National Geographic did fictional series. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I believe that she said Jersey Boys. 

Yes, according to the archive, Mary Ann said Jersey Boys and Chloe said The History Boys.  (The third contestant didn't ring in, so it was a TS.  Stumped me, too.  Jersey Boys jumped to mind, and I knew that wasn't it, but I couldn't come up with the right boys.)

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Phantom of the Opera a bit, too, because of "apparition" and the length of its run.

I said A Christmas Carol. Doh.

And, yeah, "University of Auburn"?!

I'm so bad with colleges and universities. I don't know which are University of Blah and which are Blah University. It's all blah to me.

And, while I got the clue based on the castle, I also didn't know Balmoral was a shoe. 

I didn't know it was a shoe either. I probably would have gotten this from the castle if I'd been paying attention, but at the time I was googling a map of Norway and Russia. I had no idea they shared a border, short though it is.

I also didn't know sugar was no longer produced in Hawaii; 

This really surprised me. Do they still grow sugar cane that they export or send to the mainland for processing?

7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I would have known Columbus anyway, based on the year (Duh.....), but I LITERALLY had just read that fact about Columbus bringing sugarcane to the 'new world' 5 minutes before I turned on Jeopardy.  Its in the book A History of the World in Six Glasses, highly recommended and entertaining read. 

I am putting that book on my list. Thanks.

The TSs I got were Columbus and Boys in the Band.

I didn't get FJ. For the longest time I didn't understand why the vertebrae at the top of the spine were indicated with a C. I kept thinking, well, the coccyx is at the bottom, and THAT begins with C. (Actually, in high school I loved my anatomy class and did well in it, so certainly I learned about the spine. I just didn't retain that knowledge.) But for this FJ question, I did remember that the upper spine vertebrae were C. For some mysterious reason I answered C2.

I just googled the spine to refresh my memory. The C vertebrae are cervical -- "Of course," many of you are saying -- and that word comes from Latin -- "Of course" -- cervix, which means neck. But then, I wondered, what about the cervix? Well, that's because the cervix is a neck-like passage of the uterus. Next time this all comes up, I can say "Of course!"

As for the champ -- I always dislike the posing some of the contestants do, so I was disappointed she did it. I do appreciate her knowledge and her smile. She reminds me of someone when she smiles. I don't know if it's someone I know or someone on TV.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Lebanon as a TS surprised me; Hezbollah is still active and still in the news, even if none of them remembered the specific incident with Anderson. 

I lived in Batavia, NY, where Anderson was raised, at the time he was released. And I still said "Iran."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I believe you're talking about the category on Monday's show about the series National Geographic's Mars.  Looking over the clues on the J! Archive, actually none of them really dealt with specific plotlines of the show.  There were videos of a dust storm and a solar flare that the contestants had to identify.  There was a clue that was supposedly about the name of the spacecraft on the show, but which really amounted to "Name the father of Icarus," There was "name the German scientist who became part of the American space program," and there was "name a common antibiotic invented in 1928."  All things that a reasonably prepared Jeopardy contestant should have a good chance of getting.  The tie-in with the TV show just lets Jeopardy get a little of that sweet, sweet NatGeo sponsorship money. :-)

Edited to add:  Now I feel dumb, cause I had no idea on Final Jeopardy.  The only thing I could think of was V-1.  It's gotta be the first vertebra, and they want it alphanumeric, so...V-1?  Or maybe 1-V?  I've literally never in my life heard the terms C-1 or L-1.  I had no idea there was any way to identify a specific vertebra other than to point to it on the X-ray and say "That one."

I agree you could figure them out without seeing the show, but I reference you to two clues, only one of them about Mars, which specifically referenced things that hadn't aired (and haven't aired).

The Mars clue for $2000--"In season 2, one of these bursts of energy fries the electronics & communications of the town settlers had built on Mars."  This is more that you have to guess it's electromagnetic pulse, than that you actually know it from the clue.

And in the Pop Culture category for 1200--"In the 2018 film "The Girl in the Spider's Web", this star of "The Crown" plays outcast hacker Lisbeth Salander."  And Alex specifically says it opens next week.  I know now we are seeing adds, but how were they supposed to know that when this taped?

• Love 1

The voice on the one girl tonight.... I had to turn the sound off and read the closed captions. I hope she loses tonight.

She sounded like Teds wife on Mary Tyler Moore, or Victoria Jackson.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, iwasish said:

The voice on the one girl tonight.... I had to turn the sound off and read the closed captions. I hope she loses tonight.

Yes, please.  

• Love 2

It sounded fake to me, like she was forcing herself to sound like that.  I mean, no, I don’t want to disparage a child younger than my own, but hell’s no.  That voice is a HARD pass.

Maya, I liked.

I was surprised with the misses in the sports category until I realized that base on balls is not really widely known unless you really like baseball, boxing isn’t really in favor with the young’uns anymore, and wins above replacement is a ludicrous, meaningless statistic.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

The wee sprite looked 6 years old. Or a cartoon. That’s one vocal handicap, I hope she outgrows it. 

My initial impression was that she looked and sounded very young, but then I figured it she was able to quality to get on jeopardy, she must have something going for her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

wins above replacement is a ludicrous, meaningless statistic.

I've never even heard of it and so don't even know what it means (I did get "base on balls", however).

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Only worse!  

I really like Maya, but would be ok with Anish winning.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Or Bernadette on Big Bang Theory

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I've never even heard of it and so don't even know what it means (I did get "base on balls", however).

“Definition

WAR measures a player's value in all facets of the game by deciphering how many more wins he's worth than a replacement-level player at his same position (e.g., a Minor League replacement or a readily available fill-in free agent).

For example, if a shortstop and a first baseman offer the same overall production (on offense, defense and the basepaths), the shortstop will have a better WAR because his position sees a lower level of production from replacement-level players.”

(source http://m.mlb.com/glossary/advanced-stats/wins-above-replacement)

I hate this sabremetric stat so much.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

I was gone for today's show so will have to view it online to see if I qualify for Are You Smarter Than A Teenager. I did look up FJ on TheJeopardyFan so I could add it to our contest. I saw the category and immediately said "HAMILTON!" Because all Broadway clues are about Hamilton, right? So instead the answer was some show I've never heard of. Go figure.

So I readily admit I am NOT smarter than a teenager.

Speaking of irritating voices, I caught the pilot episode of Will and Grace last week and didn't recognize Megan Mullally, she had a regular speaking voice. By episode 2 she was starting to "bring it" and become the irritating "Karen."

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

My initial impression was that she looked and sounded very young, but then I figured it she was able to quality to get on jeopardy, she must have something going for her.

Her voice had nothing to do with her smarts. It was just very distracting . Unless there was a medical reason for it, if she were my child I’d have gotten some kind of speech therapy for her. I think it could really hinder her in being successful. 

• Love 9

Ditto regarding the voice.  I NEVER miss an episode of Jeopardy.  Why, I even put up with every episode of Austin and Buzzy...until today when it got deleted.  Couldn't take it.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Her voice had nothing to do with her smarts. It was just very distracting . Unless there was a medical reason for it, if she were my child I’d have gotten some kind of speech therapy for her. I think it could really hinder her in being successful. 

She's definitely smart, but it almost like she was playing up that voice and the facial expressions to match.  

• Love 2

She seemed very young, but I didn't think she was faking or playing up her voice.  It mostly reminded me of Bernadette on Big Bang Theory, and didn't really bother me.  The not starting at the tops of categories, however, was incredibly annoying, and made the game almost unwatchable.  But I persevered, and while I didn't write down the TS and missed DD I got, I did get FJ, almost as an instaget.  However, when the category was first revealed, I shouted "Hamilton!" 

• Love 4

Thanks to having two 13 year olds who were obsessed with Dear Evan Hansen, I knew FJ. 
ALEX! It's Owings Mills, not Owings Mill (Emma's hometown, I live in the next town over). 
So, I kinda sorta know Emma. My son is a figure skater, and I'm on the board of the figure skating club. I've seen her at the rink, but can't say I've ever spoken to her, so IDK if the voice is real or not. My son talks to everyone, I'll have to show him tomorrow and ask him. 
The only good thing about Teen Tournament is that my kids like it. 

• Love 8

I too am hoping for high scoring teens for the rest of the Tournament.  My cold hearted self can't take much more of the voice, even from a very bright girl.

Anyone else wishing for Pippin as the FJ answer?  And yes, I know all the words.

• Love 5

I don’t particularly like the Teen Tournament, but unlike something with young kids, I’ll watch it, and I find it interesting how the clues need to be at their level, but that doesn’t mean we adults are going to automatically know all of them – the fact they learned this stuff far more recently than we did sometimes gives them the edge.  It’s like that show, Are You Smarter Than a Whatever-Grader? – of course you are, but one of them may still answer a particular question when you can’t, because it’s fresh in their mind and one of a relative handful of things they know, while it’s just one of the numerous things you’ve learned and forgotten over the years.

Eagle should have prompted a BMS, not just filling it in for him (I'm sure he'd have promptly said "bald eagle," but still).

Maxim was my surprise TS for the night, but I think when I adjust that for teens, it shouldn’t be.  I was truly stunned for the moment it looked like suggestion was going to be a TS, though.

I got all the stamp clues without ever actually having heard about any of those gaffes.  The illiteracy one had me laughing out loud. 

I've never even heard of the FJ play, so I could have sat here until I decomposed and not come up with that one.

If Emma knew the correct answer for the majority of clues she tried to ring in on but was beaten to the buzzer, she’d have won; she at least tried to ring in on a majority of the clues and was noticeably out-buzzed.  Good performances all around, especially the girls (yay), and while I'm eager to get back to regular play, it is nice seeing young people celebrated for their intellect - and to have a diverse slate of contestants.  I hope that continues throughout the tournament.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, opus said:

I answered Mean Girls :(

That was my answer, too. I've heard of 'Dear Evan Hansen' but have no idea what it's about. 

I kind of like Emma's voice. I know nothing about her, but I don't think it's affected or made-up. That's just how she talks for biological reasons.

Still, I was glad that Maya won. I assumed many here would be pleased that she answered "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" rather than "Alice in Wonderland."

My TSs were base on balls, technical knockout, and maxim.

I googled the difference betw cyborg and android. I can't remember what the clue was about, though I think I was unfamiliar with it anyway, but a cyborg can be an android. Androids look like humans, but cyborgs don't necessarily look human. I assume the thing in the clue did not look human.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I googled the difference betw cyborg and android. I can't remember what the clue was about, though I think I was unfamiliar with it anyway, but a cyborg can be an android. Androids look like humans, but cyborgs don't necessarily look human. I assume the thing in the clue did not look human.

By convention, cyborgs are part human (or alien) and part machine. They almost always have human brains, where androids are fully machine, including the brain, although they appear human. On Star Trek, the Borg were cyborgs, and Data was an android. On Doctor Who, the Cybermen are cyborgs. Technically speaking, the Daleks are also, as they have a living component inside the machine shell. The "hosts" on Westworld are androids. I'm sure that was more than you wanted to know. LOL

I got technical knockout and prime (Anish's missed DD) as well as FJ. I don't know anything about Dear Evan Hansen, beyond the fact that it exists and is current and popular. I pre-guessed Hamilton or the Book of Mormon.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

And in the Pop Culture category for 1200--"In the 2018 film "The Girl in the Spider's Web", this star of "The Crown" plays outcast hacker Lisbeth Salander."  And Alex specifically says it opens next week.  I know now we are seeing adds, but how were they supposed to know that when this taped?

Release dates for major movies are set months in advance. I don’t know when this episode was taped but even if it was like six months ago, they’d know what date the film was opening. And I would think that if for some unforeseen reason the release date changed, they would just cut Alex’s remarks.

FJ tonight was an instaget. (Also loved the Broadway category from yesterday!) I saw Dear Evan Hansen twice and was at their Tony Awards after party. Broadway is my wheelhouse.

I didn’t mind Emma’s voice, I thought it was cute. Did she also have a bit of a British accent?

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 2

I'm going to reserve comment on the voice until we have more information.  It seemed to me that there were other issues with her speech, besides the high pitch.  She reminded me a little of a student we have from China and the way she spoke (minus the pitch) when she first started speaking English. Half the kids I talk to every day have some kind of speech issue. For now, I'm just going to say her pitch is unique.

I liked the other two teentestants.  

Tonight I got base on balls, technical knock out, and prime number (missed DD).

I worked my way around to FJ.

4 hours ago, iwasish said:

Unless there was a medical reason for it, if she were my child I’d have gotten some kind of speech therapy for her. I think it could really hinder her in being successful. 

She may have had years of speech therapy, for all we know.  She reminded me of kids that may have had hearing issues (chronic ear infections as babies), that led to speech issues.  As I said above, it sounded like more was going on than just the pitch issue.

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

.....but I didn't think she was faking or playing up her voice.  

The not starting at the tops of categories, however, was incredibly annoying, and made the game almost unwatchable.  

I also didn't think she was faking.  No kid wants to stick out that much.

Jumping around during the tournaments doesn't bother me as much as in normal games.  I figure they are searching for daily doubles, so they can make it to the finals.  Plus, I know they'll be off my tv in two weeks.

3 hours ago, opus said:

I answered Mean Girls :(

That was my first guess.  Then I realized it was the wrong year.

3 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

My son talks to everyone, I'll have to show him tomorrow and ask him. 

I look forward to hearing what your son has to say.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I know nothing about her, but I don't think it's affected or made-up. That's just how she talks for biological reasons.

I agree.  Unless Chromakelly's son reports otherwise.  lol

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

"The Crown" has been airing since 2016.  If you know that its star is Claire Foy, you don't need to know anything about "The Girl in the Spider's Web" to get it right.  A lot of the clues have these sort of little hints in them, if you're on the look-out for them.

"Dear Evan Hansen" is the hot ticket on Broadway these days.  It's about a kid with severe social anxiety, whose therapist advises him to write letters to himself--hence the title.  The songs are by Pasek and Paul, the same songwriting team who did the music for the movie "The Greatest Showman."

I gotta say, I think the comments about Emma's voice are pretty far over the line.

• Love 5

I had no idea on FJ, had never heard of that play.  I guessed Mean Girls, the only thing I could think of remotely close to the category that fit. 

I am sure the girl was not faking her voice.  It was a bit distracting at first, but nothing you don't adjust to quickly. Reminded me of Bernadette on The Big Bang Theory or Yeardley Smith. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

Re: Emma's voice -- I wondered if she was born with a hearing impairment that affects how she hears herself.

I don't think most of us hear what our voice sounds like to others.  I didn't realize my voice sounds a lot like Yeardley Smith until I saw my J! appearance and someone pointed it out (I knew it sounded familiar but couldn't figure out Lisa Simpson until someone else said it). 

I also doubt she was faking it.  There's so much stuff to deal with playing the game - I doubt an adult much less a teenager can multitask that much.   And as someone with a young sounding voice, sometimes your voice sounds young.  

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am sure the girl was not faking her voice.  It was a bit distracting at first, but nothing you don't adjust to quickly. Reminded me of Bernadette on The Big Bang Theory or Yeardley Smith. 

I agree, her voice is natural. It was a bit jarring at first, but easily gotten past. I'm sure she's had to deal with a lot - being small and having a squeaky voice can't have been easy, especially as she's gotten older. Fortunately, she's pretty smart. I wouldn't mind seeing her back in the finals, if her total holds up. Bernadette on BBT isn't a perfect comparison, though. Yes, Melissa Rauch is short (under 5' tall) but her normal speaking voice is a considerably lower register. If you've only ever seen her as Bernadette, hearing her speak in interviews is startling.

Edited by Kathira
Punctuation is a thing.
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, lb60 said:

I agree.  Unless Chromakelly's son reports otherwise.  lol

Reporting in - My son says yes, that's how she talks. She was at skating camp with him this summer. He was excited that someone he knows was on Jeopardy!.

• Love 9

Dear SuperCam 1, 

I realize I may be among those who you view as picking on a kid.  I don't see it that way.  I recognize her talents and intelligence but feel free to also recognize my irritation at her voice.  Snarky?  Absolutely!  Shitty?  Not so much!  

However I do appreciate your right to view it differently.  To me that's part of what I admire and enjoy about this forum.  

• Love 9
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

also didn't know sugar was no longer produced in Hawaii; 

This really surprised me

Me too. I remember the jingle from my youth in Nevada: C&H, the pure cane sugar from Hawaii, in the bright pink package! 

Never ever heard of Dear Evan Hansen. 

Can you imagine the shit Emma gets in daily life for her voice, yet she still decided, "Fuck it.  I just qualified to compete on the gold standard of quiz shows, so yes, I am putting myself on national television for all of social media to mock, because I am smart and prepared and I could win this thing."  Good for Emma.  I hope her score winds up qualifying her, because, like I said, she was beaten to the buzzer on a lot of clues; if she indeed had the right answer on most of those, she's got the kind of knowledge to just kill it at this game.  I'd be curious to see how she performed a second time, with some buzzer practice under her belt. 

• Love 17