Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Exactly what happened? My devise turned off right after the lady's answer was shown...so I didn't see the two men's answers or what happened. This sure was a lousy time for the DVR to act up!

Yesterday I hadn't paid attention to Roey, so I didn't know what people were bugged about. I paid attention tonight, and he didn't bug me. 

So I'm sorry he lost. Nathan is... interesting. He reminds me a bit of Bill Nye. I got a good chuckle out of his saying, "I will bet all of my money to try to double it."

I got opticalifornia, analgesic, and the DD of noninvasive. I also got FJ, but I don't know how.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Exactly what happened? My devise turned off right after the lady's answer was shown...so I didn't see the two men's answers or what happened. This sure was a lousy time for the DVR to act up!

The men both got it right. The challenger had 1/2 the champ's total and bet it all. The champ bet $0, and here's the rest:

• Love 1

I rooted for Nathan because he reminds me of my younger brother  & he's not Roey. Hopefully he will calm down going forward. 

Not the best game for me. I did terrible in the Stately Overlay category. They can retire that one now. TS I got were pocket bread, triglyceride, Tank McNamara, analgesic, noninvasive (Nathan's missed DD)

I don't think Roey should have been given credit for Isle RoyalE Park when he clearly pronounced it as 'royal' 

Double shoutout to @Mystery Author - The Edgars category & Sue Grafton as a clue.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I hate that the tiebreaker questions are always very easy. I think I've been able to get every single one, which FAR exceeds the percentage of FJ questions I get right in the average week. It seems really disappointing to have a game come down to who can buzz in faster.

I guess they want to make sure they don't have to have more than 1 or 2 questions. 

54 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Nathan got FJ correct, bet it all, & was tied with Roey. Roey got FJ correct also but bet $0 so they went to a tie breaker, category Science, asking for 2nd lightest noble gas. Nathan rang in first, answered correctly, and won with $19,600

• Love 2

Double shoutout to @Mystery Author - The Edgars category & Sue Grafton as a clue.

Thanks, LOL. Finally a category I could run without blinking, though I did shout "Edgar Allen Poe" and "J Edgar Hoover" before they revealed the 3-Edgar category.

I miss Sue!

Speaking of AE Poe, whom Jeopardy! loves, they also love Jane Eyre. A lot.

I was hoping Roey would bet more than zero. He sure wasn't in it to win it (hate that expression, but it fits).

Rats! Now we'll never hear Alex say, "And where did the name Roey come from?"

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Interesting wagering strategy by the champ.  I remember thinking that maybe he would bet 0 hoping that if the other player got it right he would be able to win in a tiebreaker, but I was surprised he actually did it.  Maybe he felt really unconfident about the category?  I probably would have bet $1, hoping I would either get it right or he would get it wrong.  I don't think I'd bet on my trigger finger being faster.

Especially because it seemed the challenger was fast on the buzzer and the champ seemed to have a good general knowledge base and typically when the categories are vague like Notorious the answers are well known. Both Fj and the tiebreaker were IG.

Edited by biakbiak
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Rats! Now we'll never hear Alex say, "And where did the name Roey come from?"

It's probably from some Hebrew name like Ronel.

Edgar 3 names: I pre-guessed Poe, too, totally forgot about Hoover, but went straight to Edgar Lee Masters. I wonder who the other, unrevealed, two were.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's probably from some Hebrew name like Ronel.

Edgar 3 names: I pre-guessed Poe, too, totally forgot about Hoover, but went straight to Edgar Lee Masters. I wonder who the other, unrevealed, two were.

Edgar Rice Burroughs?

• Love 8

I rooted hard for the woman in the middle in this game.  Alas.

No clue (again!) for FJ.  This is shaping up to be one of my worst weeks all season.  I did get pocket bread, analgesic, and noninvasive, though.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that Roey lost.  Betting nothing for FJ was kind of bone-headed, though.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yesterday I hadn't paid attention to Roey, so I didn't know what people were bugged about. I paid attention tonight, and he didn't bug me. 

So I'm sorry he lost. Nathan is... interesting. He reminds me a bit of Bill Nye. I got a good chuckle out of his saying, "I will bet all of my money to try to double it."

I got opticalifornia, analgesic, and the DD of noninvasive. I also got FJ, but I don't know how.

As a person with really bad eyes, it looked to me that Roey wasn't seeing well with his glasses, and that was part of his "tic" that people are complaining about. I noticed him squinting, and I know that I do the very same movements sometimes when trying to read something in the distance (because even with a single prescription strength, what you see in the bottom of the lens can be better than the center - especially when you're on the verge of needing a new pair of glasses).

8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Thanks, LOL. Finally a category I could run without blinking, though I did shout "Edgar Allen Poe" and "J Edgar Hoover" before they revealed the 3-Edgar category.

I miss Sue!

I shouted them out as well, but blanked on Sue - not that I didn't know who she was, it was just that "Grafton" refused to shuffle forward from my brain and come out of my mouth.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Edgar Rice Burroughs?

Shouted his name too. 🙂

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Abstract said:

Nathan is certainly something, hope he's a one-and-done. 

No kidding! That obnoxious attitude he struck and kept up for some reason during FJ really put me off him - all the wiggling during the game didn't help any either.  But, he played a good game.

I liked Roey in last night's game - he didn't do the chin pointing so much this time.  And the woman in the middle was also very nice.  But we've got Nathan for at least one more game.

Only ts's were pocket bread and noninvasive (missed DD) Instaget FJ.

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As a person with really bad eyes, it looked to me that Roey wasn't seeing well with his glasses, and that was part of his "tic" that people are complaining about. I noticed him squinting, and I know that I do the very same movements sometimes when trying to read something in the distance (because even with a single prescription strength, what you see in the bottom of the lens can be better than the center - especially when you're on the verge of needing a new pair of glasses).

Yep. That's what I was thinking also.  I contort my head in some pretty strange ways to read things sometimes.  Up until recently I had scratchy glasses, so I also had to look around the scratches. It was getting quite challenging.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I don't think Roey should have been given credit for Isle RoyalE Park when he clearly pronounced it as 'royal' 

I thought it was reverse, that Roey said Royale, then Alex said yes, Royal. But I agree that he shouldn't have gotten credit.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't think about that, but maybe it explains his "chin-pointing," which never bothered me.

• Love 2

The park is Isle Royale, which I always thought was pronounced like it looks, but lately I've heard people who should know pronounce it Royal. Roey, like I would have done, said Royale, which Alex corrected to Royal. He shouldn't have been dinged for it (and wasn't) because mis-pronunciations that include the correct amount of syllables don't get dinged.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

OMG, I take it back - if I'd had to watch THAT for a whole 'nother round on Wednesday and then watch Sam lose, I would've put my fist through my tv.  That was so painful to watch last night, that I started to wonder if Roey had Tourette's or something.

Not that Nathan doesn't look like he may have some annoying mannerisms, but still, so incredibly glad he won that tiebreaker.  I can't for the life of me figure out why Roey didn't bet something, all I can think is that he was so sure he'd win a tiebreaker that he didn't bother.  In the words of Nelson Muntz: HA HA!

I managed to get Eichmann, but only as "this probably is wrong" guess.  Makes sense, though.

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

I hate that the tiebreaker questions are always very easy. I think I've been able to get every single one, which FAR exceeds the percentage of FJ questions I get right in the average week. It seems really disappointing to have a game come down to who can buzz in faster.

I didn't think it was easy, exactly, but only because I thought helium was the lightest gas.  Science is not one of my better categories.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Not the best game for me. I did terrible in the Stately Overlay category. They can retire that one now. TS I got were pocket bread, triglyceride, Tank McNamara, analgesic, noninvasive (Nathan's missed DD)

I got pocket bread and Tank McNamara.  I used to read Tank sometimes when I still got a newspaper, more than a decade ago; surprised me that I could pull him out of my brain.  Fuzzy Winkerbean, now . . . one of my cats used to be nicknamed "Fuzzy Stinkerbean", lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I think Jeopardy has easy tie breakers so the game will end on time. I miss having two champions and I don't know why they changed the rules.

Maybe so they don't have to pay two people whatever their winning totals are?  2nd place money is usually cheaper.

11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

was hoping Roey would bet more than zero. He sure wasn't in it to win it (hate that expression, but it fits).

I think he was just so sure he'd win the tiebreaker if they needed one.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The park is Isle Royale, which I always thought was pronounced like it looks, but lately I've heard people who should know pronounce it Royal. Roey, like I would have done, said Royale, which Alex corrected to Royal. He shouldn't have been dinged for it (and wasn't) because mis-pronunciations that include the correct amount of syllables don't get dinged.

Also, if it can be pronounced a certain way based on the spelling, you also get credit for it. So "Royale" (pronounced roy-el (which would be my pronunciation as well)) is acceptable even if it's pronounced "royl". Like, if you pronounced the S in Illinois. It's the adding of extra letters (which is what causes extra syllables usually) that's a problem.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As a person with really bad eyes, it looked to me that Roey wasn't seeing well with his glasses, and that was part of his "tic" that people are complaining about.🙂

Good point. My dad got 3 vision progressives about 5 years ago, and it took him a little while to adjust. He would bob his head up & down and say, "I'm not agreeing with you, I'm trying to focus" lol 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Well, that was a terrible FJ week for me!  I feel like I should have been able to come up with Arizona tonight, but no such luck. 

Not sorry that Nathan was a one-and-done.  New champ is fine, but I'd like him better if he started at the tops of the categories.  I know, I know.  That ship has sailed.  But I can still have my preferences!  🙂

• Love 3

Bye Nathan. Even though you remind me of my younger brother, I could not root for you due to the motion sickness you caused.

I loved Kathleen's necklace. Too bad she ended in the red.

I'm surprised that Alex did not pronounce Sr Prejean's name with a French accent. 

TS I got were snobbish, markers, yellow (guess), Ethiopia (guess), King Solomon. Got FJ as a guess. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

New champ is fine, but I'd like him better if he started at the tops of the categories.  I know, I know.  That ship has sailed.  But I can still have my preferences!  🙂

And I keep waiting for someone to adopt James H's methods! He won me over to starting at the high dollar clues. 

• Love 7

During today's game I realized something else I miss about James....almost all of the questions were answered and answered correctly! Recently there have been so many wrong answers or looks of bewilderment on the contestants faces. I find myself saying...James would have gotten that one!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I meant to come here last night and post something clever about Nathan and his potty dance but of course you all beat me to it. 

I had no idea on the governor question and guessed Wyoming based on it being the first state with a woman governor. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

During today's game I realized something else I miss about James....almost all of the questions were answered and answered correctly! Recently there have been so many wrong answers or looks of bewilderment on the contestants faces. I find myself saying...James would have gotten that one!

Especially "cubbies" tonight.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Bad game for me. No TSs. No FJ. Wine? Maybe.

Me too, and I have no excuse - I was stone cold sober.

10 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I had no idea on the governor question and guessed Wyoming based on it being the first state with a woman governor. 

Made the same guess for the same reason.

10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Especially "cubbies" tonight.

That seemed a particularly easy question to me - and I don't know squat about baseball.

Nathan is probably a perfectly nice person but I found him very irritating. So, I am glad Jason won.

My only ts was King Solomon.

The FJ category is about as far removed from my wheelhouse as you can get, yet I did somehow manage to come up with Arizona.  I must have some knowledge tucked way at the back of my brain to come up with it and even think it was probably right.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That seemed a particularly easy question to me - and I don't know squat about baseball.

I didn't mean that it was difficult - just that James also got a question where he answered 'cubbies' with delight and I think he mentioned they are his favourite baseball team.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't mean that it was difficult - just that James also got a question where he answered 'cubbies' with delight and I think he mentioned they are his favourite baseball team.

I'd forgotten that. 🙂 I was just chiming in, proud that I'd gotten it even though it's not in my wheelhouse. 😉

• LOL 1
On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Some interesting 'hand holding" tecniques of the buzzer tonight.  The lady had her arms folded & the champ was holding onto his hand as if his hand would fall off 🙂

I kinda liked him but I kept wondering if there was something wrong with his arm and it was distracting.

(edited)

It’s been quite a few weeks but I finally got a Monday FJ!

I wasn’t totally positive in that he couldn’t have been the first person to see Victoria Falls but Alex said  he was the first European. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 4

Color me shocked not only to get FJ right, but also that it was a TS!  I briefly considered the Mountains of the Moon (aka the source of the Nile), but rejected that for no apparent reason and switched my total guess to Victoria Falls.  Yay, me!

I also got procession and Slaughterhouse Five.

• Love 2

I only got 3 questions right before the first commercial break.  Luckily things went better from there.  

I got procession and Slaughterhouse-5.  I can't believe I missed chatterbox.  There's a teenage girl I call that all the time. But, Alex was going on more like a bore than a chatterbox, IMO.

I also got FJ.  Love it when I get FJ and none of the contestants do.  That's the best feeling.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I also got FJ.  Love it when I get FJ and none of the contestants do.  That's the best feeling.

Me too! It was an instaget for me. Livingstone/Victoria Falls are automatically linked in my mind. And you're right, it is the best feeling. 

• Love 3

I wanted to say Angel,Falls, but angel(s) was in the clue so I knew it was wrong.

The audible book category had an answer of P.L. Travers saying Julie Andrews was TO pretty to play Mary Poppins.  Proofreading anybody????

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got procession and Slaughterhouse Five.

I also totally got Slaughterhouse Five. I mean, assuming they would have accepted "oh oh I know that um um that book by that guy that I read 40 years ago and still remember, except for the name..."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Today (July 22) is Alex Trebek's 79th birthday. Happy Birthday, Alex! I hope we still get to say that next year.

I did not have a clue on FJ.

(Sorry, Toothbrush, did not see your post before I did mine. But I figure Alex needs all the good wishes he can get.)

Edited by SpiritSong
already mentioned
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got procession and Slaughterhouse-5.  I can't believe I missed chatterbox.  There's a teenage girl I call that all the time. But, Alex was going on more like a bore than a chatterbox, IMO.

I might have gotten chatterbox if I'd remembered the category. I had real trouble remembering the categories last night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

12 hours ago, Abstract said:

Me too! It was an instaget for me. Livingstone/Victoria Falls are automatically linked in my mind. And you're right, it is the best feeling. 

For me it's always Stanley & Livingstone. I remember bleep all about their actual lives. But...I did manage to pull Victoria Falls out at the last second.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I might have gotten chatterbox if I'd remembered the category. I had real trouble remembering the categories last night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I didn't have that excuse.  I knew the category and was wracking my brain and had no idea.

• Love 1

My first thought for FJ was Angel Falls, probably because of the word "angels" in the clue.  Then I remembered in time that Angel Falls are in South America, and Livingstone was in Africa.  After that, Victoria Falls was obvious.  I was a bit surprised that none of the contestants got it.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I also totally got Slaughterhouse Five. I mean, assuming they would have accepted "oh oh I know that um um that book by that guy that I read 40 years ago and still remember, except for the name..."

Ditto🙂

I also got procession and "in the hearts of his countrymen".

FJ was an instaget.

I know there were contestants playing the game but none of them made an impression on me, other than surprise that none of them got FJ.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, I was really surprised that the guy didn't get "in the hearts of his countrymen." 

All-Star reruns, can't wait. I accidentally let the recordings get erased the first time. This time I will guard them more carefully. 

• Love 1