Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I did well. I think I only missed three answers. BTW there is also a Salem in N.Y.  

I enjoyed the kids, but Ryan made a lot of noise with his button clicker which I was not fond of. I had no idea about the Lip Dub, so I learned something too. 

• Love 1

The winner last night goes to the high school across the street from where I used to live, so hurray for her. 

On the other hand.......was I the only one that felt a bit awkward when the African American girl was the one to answer the "cotton picking" question?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

The winner last night goes to the high school across the street from where I used to live, so hurray for her. 

On the other hand.......was I the only one that felt a bit awkward when the African American girl was the one to answer the "cotton picking" question?

Probably.  The question wasn't racist.  Cotton is picked if it's to be used.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Probably.  The question wasn't racist.  Cotton is picked if it's to be used.

I can't speak as a Black person, but as a person whose white grandparents were sharecroppers, I know that I thought of them when it came up. I think the question was neutral.  It was a touch uncomfortable, but only a little for me, since I was preoccupied with my family history.

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never quite got why anyone would want to go on that show - if you win, well, yeah, you should be smarter than a 5th grader. And if not - well, that's kind of embarrassing.

For the chance at a million dollars, I suppose (although I haven’t seen the new John Cena version. I’m guessing on Nickelodeon they play for less?)

Jeopardy related, anyone remember when Ken Jennings did the Foxworthy version?

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, opus said:

For the chance at a million dollars, I suppose (although I haven’t seen the new John Cena version. I’m guessing on Nickelodeon they play for less?)

Jeopardy related, anyone remember when Ken Jennings did the Foxworthy version?

You know, money never even entered my mind. LOL

I know nothing about duane Johnson.  Every single clue wrong.  I made up for it in DJ though.  

And I got FJ, though, I was also wondering if it was QEII, since she has now reigned longer.  But, there were a lot of presidential death's during Victoria's reign.  And one-termers.  

• Love 2

I thought briefly about Elizabeth II also, but switched to Victoria at the last second. 

I suppose I shouldn't rag on a kid (even though he's a high school senior) for thinking hockey is played with a stick and a ball, should I?  Or for thinking curling is played with a stick and a ball?  I got lacrosse, and also the missed DD of J.M. Barrie. 

Alex said there weren't any wrong answers in the first round -- true, but not all the clues were answered.  There were a couple where no one rang in.  If you're taking a test and don't answer, it's counted as incorrect.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Does the jinx extend to family members?  Anderson Cooper was a response today; his mother (Gloria Vanderbilt) just passed away in the last day or so. RIP

I thought of that too when he appeared

pretty pedestrian FJ question.  Really could only be two people, Victoria or QEII.  Basically have a 50/50 chance just by guessing.  I figured it was Victoria. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

"African American"?

That was a good FJ clue. I got there by math. 45-17= 28, and I was pretty sure the 28th President was long before QE2 took office. Ergo, Victoria.

You know what I don't like about the Teen Tournament? No one talks about it much, so there's not as much discussion to read, here or anywhere else. But then I don't have much to say about it either, so I'm part of the problem.

• Love 2

I liked tonight's contestants.  They seemed more thoughtful and mature.  I was sure the FJ was Victoria, so that's me at 2/2 so far.  The second place finisher has a good chance to play again.

• Love 1
(edited)

Tonight, I am not as smart as a high schooler. Or a fifth grader.

I said QE2, even though I was pretty sure it was wrong.

Woe is me!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, Katy M said:

At a very embarrassingly late age, I realized that the written word awry, was the same word that I was hearing that I thought was spelled arye.  And I prounounced the written word "awe-ree."  Until a light bulb went off one day.  Luckily for me, I never tried to insert aw-ree into a conversation.

I had a few of those. The one I remember most is “ciao”. Although I was never totally confident about my in-head pronunciation of “see-oh”, I remember finally linking the spoken word with its written form and thinking “REALLY?!”

• LOL 1
6 hours ago, labresq said:

Do we know when these episodes were taped?  Was it before or after the cancer diagnosis was announced?

I'm pretty sure these were taped back at the same time as the other Teen Tournament, so way before.

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I had a few of those. The one I remember most is “ciao”. Although I was never totally confident about my in-head pronunciation of “see-oh”, I remember finally linking the spoken word with its written form and thinking “REALLY?!”

When I was little, we had a comic book (Tom & Jerry? Donald Duck?) where one character called another character "eye-dot."  I read that comic about 8 times before I realized the word was "idiot."

Another revelation for me was reading Giacomo and figuing out it's Jockomo.

Re Salem...26 towns/cities in the US are named Salem.  https://www.quora.com/How-many-states-in-the-United-States-have-a-city-or-town-named-Salem  Interesting list.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Does the jinx extend to family members?  Anderson Cooper was a response today; his mother (Gloria Vanderbilt) just passed away in the last day or so. RIP

I thought of that too.

While I'm thinking of Jeopardy, I forgot to mention a moment during the interviews on Monday or Tuesday when Alex cracked up about something one of the contestants said - not that it was a joke. I thought it was really funny and sweet - because it was a really human moment, and not polished Alex. I wish I could remember what it was. Does anyone remember?

• Love 1

I'm not minding the Teen Tournament.  They get more questions right than I do.  Of course, many questions are AMT (after my time).  I never even thought of QEII for FJ! although it makes perfect sense.  Her reign is longer than Victoria's.

• Love 3

That was a good game last night.  I was pretty sure about Victoria but had enough time to count the Presidents in QEII's reign to make sure. 

Though, now I'm curious - I need to look up the Presidents during Queen Victoria's reign.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I'm not minding the Teen Tournament.  They get more questions right than I do.

Is it just me (certainly no pinnacle of intelligence, but I do all right) or do these questions seem ridiculously easy, especially FH??? I think they are doing these obviously VERY BRIGHT kids a disservice.  Come on, Jeopardy! writers, give them some REAL questions!

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

For the longest time I couldn't believe that 'segue' was pronounced 'segway.' I always thought it should be longer.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

That was a good game last night.  I was pretty sure about Victoria but had enough time to count the Presidents in QEII's reign to make sure. 

Though, now I'm curious - I need to look up the Presidents during Queen Victoria's reign.  

I hope you don't mind, but you got me curious, so I looked it up. If I typed this correctly...

For Queen Victoria (Jun 20, 1837 - Jan 22, 1901) there were 17 Presidents (Cleveland twice):

Van Buren – Mar 4, 1837 – Mar 4, 1841
Harrison – Mar 4, 1841 – Apr 4, 1841
Tyler – Apr 4, 1841 – Mar 4, 1845
Polk – Mar 4, 1845 – Mar 4, 1849
Taylor – Mar 4, 1849 – Jul 9, 1850
Fillmore – Jul 9, 1850 – Mar 4, 1853
Pierce – Mar 4, 1853 – Mar 4, 1857
Buchanan – Mar 4, 1857 – Mar 4, 1861
Lincoln – Mar 4, 1861 – April 15, 1865
Johnson – Apr 15, 1865 – Mar 4, 1869
Grant – Mar 4, 1869 – Mar 4, 1877
Hayes – Mar 4, 1877 – Mar 4, 1881
Garfield – Mar 4, 1881 – Sep 19, 1881
Arthur – Sep 19, 1881 – Mar 4, 1885
Cleveland – Mar 4, 1885 – Mar 4, 1889
Harrison – Mar 4, 1889 – Mar 4, 1893
Cleveland – Mar 4, 1893 – Mar 4, 1897
McKinley – Mar 4, 1897 – Sep 14, 1901

For Elizabeth II (Feb 6, 1952 – present) there were 13 Presidents (so far):

Truman – Apr 12, 1945 – Jan 20, 1953
Eisenhower – Jan 20, 1953 – Jan 20, 1961
Kennedy – Jan 20, 1961 – Nov 22, 1963
Johnson – Nov 22, 1963 – Jan 20, 1969
Nixon – Jan 20, 1969 – Aug 9, 1974
Ford – Aug 9, 1974 – Jan 20, 1977
Carter – Jan 20, 1977 – Jan 20, 1981
Reagan – Jan 20, 1981 – Jan 20, 1989
Bush – Jan 20, 1989 – Jan 20, 1993
Clinton – Jan 20, 1993 – Jan 20, 2001
Bush (jr) – Jan 20, 2001 – Jan 20, 2009
Obama – Jan 20, 2009 – Jan 20, 2017
Trump – Jan 20, 2017 – present

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Abstract said:

That was a good FJ clue. I got there by math. 45-17= 28, and I was pretty sure the 28th President was long before QE2 took office. Ergo, Victoria.

You know what I don't like about the Teen Tournament? No one talks about it much, so there's not as much discussion to read, here or anywhere else. But then I don't have much to say about it either, so I'm part of the problem.

The math route was a super smart approach! I got fixated on long reigns and got it wrong. But, getting it wrong did lead to me looking up the difference in presidential times in office between the two periods, so that was a fun, nerdy experience. 

I drove through Salem, OR yesterday and thought of this forum. 

Even if the questions are generally easier, the one thing I like about the early games in tournaments is that the boards have to be cleared. I feel like a broken record, but I strongly believe the questions are easier in the early games BECAUSE they have to clear the board.

I also like the kids and teen tournaments because I get to test my AMT knowledge (nice one, @PaulaO). As I don’t have kids, I’m not getting secondary exposure to younger pop culture. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For the longest time I couldn't believe that 'segue' was pronounced 'segway.' I always thought it should be longer.

I hope you don't mind, but you got me curious, so I looked it up. If I typed this correctly...

For Queen Victoria (Jun 20, 1837 - Jan 22, 1901) there were 17 Presidents (Cleveland twice):

Van Buren – Mar 4, 1837 – Mar 4, 1841
Harrison – Mar 4, 1841 – Apr 4, 1841
Tyler – Apr 4, 1841 – Mar 4, 1845
Polk – Mar 4, 1845 – Mar 4, 1849
Taylor – Mar 4, 1849 – Jul 9, 1850
Fillmore – Jul 9, 1850 – Mar 4, 1853
Pierce – Mar 4, 1853 – Mar 4, 1857
Buchanan – Mar 4, 1857 – Mar 4, 1861
Lincoln – Mar 4, 1861 – April 15, 1865
Johnson – Apr 15, 1865 – Mar 4, 1869
Grant – Mar 4, 1869 – Mar 4, 1877
Hayes – Mar 4, 1877 – Mar 4, 1881
Garfield – Mar 4, 1881 – Sep 19, 1881
Arthur – Sep 19, 1881 – Mar 4, 1885
Cleveland – Mar 4, 1885 – Mar 4, 1889
Harrison – Mar 4, 1889 – Mar 4, 1893
Cleveland – Mar 4, 1893 – Mar 4, 1897
McKinley – Mar 4, 1897 – Sep 14, 1901

For Elizabeth II (Feb 6, 1952 – present) there were 13 Presidents (so far):

Truman – Apr 12, 1945 – Jan 20, 1953
Eisenhower – Jan 20, 1953 – Jan 20, 1961
Kennedy – Jan 20, 1961 – Nov 22, 1963
Johnson – Nov 22, 1963 – Jan 20, 1969
Nixon – Jan 20, 1969 – Aug 9, 1974
Ford – Aug 9, 1974 – Jan 20, 1977
Carter – Jan 20, 1977 – Jan 20, 1981
Reagan – Jan 20, 1981 – Jan 20, 1989
Bush – Jan 20, 1989 – Jan 20, 1993
Clinton – Jan 20, 1993 – Jan 20, 2001
Bush (jr) – Jan 20, 2001 – Jan 20, 2009
Obama – Jan 20, 2009 – Jan 20, 2017
Trump – Jan 20, 2017 – present

I would not want to be referenced only by a family name if I were a president.

There were a lot more one-term presidents during Victoria's reign--not to mention the month-long presidency of William Henry Harrison.  That seems to be what made the difference.  That was how I got it.  One of those little bits of trivia that I've picked up over the years is the fact that Lincoln was the first president to be re-elected in over 30 years.  Prior to him, the last president to serve two terms was Andrew Jackson.  Everybody between them was either a one-term guy or died in office.

I don't often watch the Teen Tournaments, but I've been at least glancing at this one for some reason.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I knew Lincoln was one of them but the others...no idea.  I do need to memorize the Presidents.  I know the first group up to Jackson....and then McKinley to the rest, but not the middle group.  Royalty is easy to memorize because there's a pattern but Presidents...

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I suppose I shouldn't rag on a kid (even though he's a high school senior) for thinking hockey is played with a stick and a ball, should I? 

Field hockey is, says the girl who was forced to play it in gym class in high school.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Field hockey is, says the girl who was forced to play it in gym class in high school.

Yeah, but I'm guessing that kid last night never thought of field hockey when he answered hockey instead of lacrosse.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:03 PM, Katy M said:

I did pretty poorly in the first round also. Especially the viral challenges.  And Espy awards..  In the second round I did horribly in the good entertainment category, but everything else was fine.

I found the viral challenges category hard. I don't follow a lot of those things although I'm usually up on pop culture.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever heard "vague" pronounced quite like that.  I get it -- I've read words I'm unfamiliar with and not known how to pronounce them, but that was a very interesting pronunciation. 

There is more than one Salem in the US.  There's even more than one in New England.  I wrote down the state, too.

I never heard of vague pronounced like that too. I know of Salem in OR but I'm not surprised there are other Salems too.

• Love 1
On 6/17/2019 at 11:32 PM, Bastet said:

I just had this on as background noise while I cleaned, but it seemed like there weren't too many TS.  (Of course, if the average clue was as wait, is this a trick question? easy as FJ, that's faint praise.)  I was rooting for Stephanie, but Teagan was my second choice, so good for her.  

Like most posters, I included the state along with the city in my FJ answer (maybe because Salem, NH is the only New England Salem I've been to).  But with the category spotting New England, the clue only asking for the city, and it being FJ, I can't object to none of them getting that specific.  In a non-FJ clue, I'd have expected a BMS prompt, though.

I don't love the Teen Tournament, but I don't avoid it like the plague as I do Kids Week, and - in theory if not necessarily in execution - I like the fact there are two this year because they had that many great contestants among those who tried out.  With everything going on in the world, a larger-than-average pool of teens with the interest and ability to compete on J! makes me smile.

I didn't mind the Teen Tournament but I was surprised there was a boy who was in eighth grade. I thought you had to be in ninth grade and up. I had trouble with some of the Espy questions along with the viral challenges.

21 hours ago, Katy M said:

I know nothing about duane Johnson.  Every single clue wrong.  I made up for it in DJ though.  

And I got FJ, though, I was also wondering if it was QEII, since she has now reigned longer.  But, there were a lot of presidential death's during Victoria's reign.  And one-termers.  

I didn't know all the Duane Johnson ones but knew some. I wasn't sure between QEII and Victoria as well.

18 hours ago, lb60 said:

Tonight, I am not as smart as a high schooler. Or a fifth grader.

I said QE2, even though I was pretty sure it was wrong.

Woe is me!

I went back and forth and settled on QEII at the last second. I couldn't do the math as quickly.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

I didn't mind the Teen Tournament but I was surprised there was a boy who was in eighth grade. I thought you had to be in ninth grade and up. I had trouble with some of the Espy questions along with the viral challenges.

You just have to be age 13-17. I've never seen an 8th grader in it before. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

I didn't mind the Teen Tournament but I was surprised there was a boy who was in eighth grade. I thought you had to be in ninth grade and up.

No, you just have to be between the ages of 13 and 17 (per the FAQ on the show's website).  That's probably why they call it the Teen Tournament rather than the High School Tournament (or they just like alliteration). 

• Love 3

Well, I was in high school in the eighth grade! Elementary was first through seventh, and high school was eight through twelve! Not like that now but we were in the country and that was how it was way back then!

• Love 2

All of the contestants today (Wednesday) seemed like such nice, mature kids. And smart! Sure, the questions are easy for us as adults but I always stop to think how many I would’ve known as a teen and the answer is nowhere near as many as those kids.

I was proud that I got any of the  Music I’m Not Familar With category.

• Love 1

I pre-guessed QEII, but when the clue was revealed it was an instaget, no doubt due to the publicity around the current POTUS' recent visit to the UK. I saw pictures of her & the POTUS she has met and there were definitely less than 17, so Victoria it was. If not for that recent publicity, I may have stuck with my original guess without giving it a lot of thought, as I am sometimes wont to do. 

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

start high school 8th grade in New Orleans in August.

My son & niece also. 

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I think there were a couple of TS I got, too, but I didn't write them down -- too busy trying to figure out what is going on with my interwebs today.  It keeps randomly dropping out on me.  We have had some heavy rain and storms recently, and I suspect those are playing a role.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, SHD said:

I was proud that I got any of the  Music I’m Not Familar With category.

I got Kanye West, but only because it sounded like something so ridiculously stupid that it had to be him.

I don't remember what it was now, but I missed one of the top clues because I thought the right answer was too easy.  Head slap.  It's the top clue and teen tournament.  Probably no need to overcomplicate it.

I got FJ.  And I got Dick Cheney and snorkel.

• Love 5

Dear Justin,

Stand! Up! Straight!

Signed, 

The Posture Patrol

I can't believe no one told him to stop leaning on the podium. His arm was in the shot when Rohit was answering.

Now, get off my lawn!

I did get FJ. It's been an up and down week, so I predict I will have no idea tomorrow.

• Love 6
Just now, lb60 said:

Dear Justin,

Stand! Up! Straight!

Signed, 

The Posture Patrol

I can't believe no one told him to stop leaning on the podium. His arm was in the shot when Rohit was answering.

Now, get off my lawn!

I did get FJ. It's been an up and down week, so I predict I will have no idea tomorrow.

Oh, my god, yes!  His leaning irritated me for the whole show!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Mario500 said:

I would not want to be referenced only by a family name if I were a president.

Let us know when you become president and we'll all call you Mario500!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

If it wasn't for that Music I'm Not Familiar With category (in which I still managed to know one and correctly guess two), I'd have had a perfect game -- go me, I was two clues short of running the table in a game made for people 30 years younger than me.

Justin bugged me, and I can't even articulate why.  I don't generally have a reaction one way or the other to adult contestants, so why I had a visceral I don't like this guy reaction to a kid, I don't know.  But I'll definitely be rooting for others in the semi-finals.

• Love 2