Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

I answered 52 questions correctly & ran the Eastern Border category, which was good for me since I usually suck at geography. Must have been really easy clues. Surprisingly I did not run the '90s Songs category because I could not remember what group Flavor Flav was in (but I remembered that Chuck D was a part of it too; no partial credit boo hiss). FJ was an instaget.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

The guy on the right did spectacularly well against James and probably would’ve won against anyone else. If he had gotten the DD’s in the second round, bet big, and gotten them right, he might’ve had a chance! I felt the air go out if the game as soon as the DD’s were won by James and the other two contestants knew there was no hope.

I imagine at some point that James might just get bored and maybe get super risky with bets because he won’t care if he loses or not.

That moment of no more hope was palpable. 

I agree that James' risky wagers will be his undoing, but I'm not so sure it will be be deliberate, although you never know.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I could not remember what group Flavor Flav was in

Flavor Flav had a chicken restaurant for a short while in Clinton, Iowa. I ate there once. So while I knew his chicken personally, I did not know his musical group.

• Laugh 2

34 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I answered 52 questions correctly

That's worth two GFYs since that's more than James answered. So, GFYx2! *drinkdrink*

Edited by saber5055

My first thought for FJ was Cold Mountain, but I could think of only one Oscar for that movie.

I simply can't get my answers (questions?) out as quickly as James, so I'm skipping the "What is" or "Who is/are" part of the answer (question).

• Like 1

I don't have that much sympathy for the contestants who lose to James.  It's not his fault he's so much better-prepared than other players.  It's like asking the show to dumb down the other players so one of the new ones has a chance.

Ooh, I got FJ right two days in a row!  Now I feel adequate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EllenB said:

I don't have that much sympathy for the contestants who lose to James.  It's not his fault he's so much better-prepared than other players.  It's like asking the show to dumb down the other players so one of the new ones has a chance.

I feel the same way. At the start of last night's double jeopardy round, I noticed that the woman, who went first, started at the top of a category, and the guy followed suit. Not smart - this didn't make any sense given how they had seen James play in the first round (and maybe in previous games). If any contestant wants to have a chance against James, they've got to adopt his strategy (besides needing to be well prepared and fast on the buzzer). If they don't, well, that's on them.

Maybe J! could just eliminate the other 2 contestants until James is done.

My DVR failed to record last night's episode and all I could find on YT in a speedy search was FJ. 

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Almost an instaget FJ for me tonight.  My thought was, “That movie with Denzel!  What was it?  Oh, not Born On the 4th of July, the other one — Glory!  That’s it!”  I had plenty of time to write it down.

For me as well. I didn't see the movie (it's on my list that doesn't seem to get shorter), but I remember Denzel getting the Oscar.

10 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I thought the gal in the middle(red dress) was really upset at the end, she had her hands crossed over her stomach & looked like she did not even want to shake Alex's hand at the end.  It must be discouraging for the other contestants, the guy on the end would have possibly been a winner at another time, he was quick & seemed to have good knowledge. 

When I made a similar comment, the mister said he saw her turn and smile at James after FJ was over. He tends to pay more attention to the ladies 😉 and, to be fair, he doesn't see the negativity as much as I do, which speaks to his kinder, more positive mind.

If James is around for Season 36 (which I'm just assuming he is at this point), his opponents will know exactly what they're walking into and hopefully be prepared emotionally. I'm working on my attitude now, just in case.

After all, playing against James would immunize you forever against any criticism for losing on Jeopardy.