Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As someone who lives in Illinois, an average yearly salary of more than $60,000 is a lot IMO. YMMV of course.

It depends on where in Illinois. 

Anywhere but the Chicago area, its reasonable

In Chicago itself, its not. 

I am not asking them to make the winners millionaires or be able to retire.  I just think its time to bump up how much they win on the tournament. 

Especially when they are plugging the endorsements all they can now for extra money with Alexa and their advertisement "categories" they often use. 

The average winner on Jeopardy gets about $20K a game.  Add in second and 3rd place, that is $23K a game they give out on average.  Over 10 days, that is $230K on a typical span the tournament takes.  You pay out, what is it, $100K, $50K and $25K over two weeks, plus the quarter/semifinalists, whatever they make, its not much if any, I am not sure.........that is $175K over two weeks plus the quarter/semifinalists takes.  I think is $5K for SFs and $1K for QFs.  That adds 30K for total for SF and 6K total or QFs.  175+36 = 211K in a two week tournament.  They actually pay out LESS total in a tournament like this than they do in a typical two weeks of regular games. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Manet is my second-favorite artist (behind Hopper) so I photographed all his paintings last time I was at The Art Institute of Chicago .

Fish_0070 Manet sm.jpg

The eel kind of creeps me out though.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Manet is my second-favorite artist (behind Hopper) so I photographed all his paintings last time I was at The Art Institute of Chicago .

Fish_0070 Manet sm.jpg

The eel kind of creeps me out though.

I noticed the eel too.  Way more than the fish.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, SHD said:

Wow, that middle contestant was NOT happy with the score adjustments right before FJ. I mean, it’s not like it affected her chance to win (which was 0%). 

She lost her lock on second place, though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SHD said:

Wow, that middle contestant was NOT happy with the score adjustments right before FJ. 

I got that impression, too.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I pre-guessed Sartre for FJ, hoping to get a Trebekian overpronunciation, but alas, no such luck.  And since I was stuck on Sartre -- though I knew it wasn't right -- I couldn't get to Zola. 

Ha! I also pre-guessed Sartre. I couldn't come up with the right answer, so I thought, What the heck, and stayed with Sartre.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

I get why he does it (sort of) but I feel like Alex is spending his intros sucking up to James, and it's getting on my nerves.

To be fair, I think Alex does that with all the long-winning contestants.

I got Manet because, well, because the painting looked like a Manet! I also got Seven Days in May.

It seems like just a couple of weeks ago there was another clue with the answer of Hapsburg.

I liked Jenny's hair-cutting interview.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think it was kind of like "please, like he needs more money."

I kept saying, Dreyfuss, that's not the answer.  Zola?  Emile Zola?  Is that it?  It sounds right? Is it right?  I'm glad there was only 30 seconds.  

I made the Dreyfuss connection, but never made it to Zola.

• Love 5

Speaking of pronunciations, the woman player said "sriracha" differently than how I say it. Yeah, I know it's pronounced sǐːrāːt͡ɕʰāː in Thailand. I just was not in Thailand today.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Well, the two-week break didn't help; my runaway fatigue that set in shortly before the Teacher's Tournament began was right back in full effect tonight.  I'm still enjoying the show, since I'm far more focused on the clues than the contestants, and I'm still impressed with James's performance, because, hello, but I am also still experiencing immediate, involuntary eye rolls when he lands on a DD (and when he does one of his "shout out" wagers).

I have never heard display ratio in my life - it's aspect ratio - but I'll grant that probably fits the language of the clue.  So no eye roll.  But whatever.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

have never heard display ratio in my life - it's aspect ratio - but I'll grant that probably fits the language of the clue.  So no eye roll.  But whatever.

I have but only because my dad was a computer programmer and in the 80s computer screens were mostly referred to as displays so it came up whenever he would fix my computer or video games if that was the issue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

We have runaway game fatigue here too. I guess I'll have to start considering the contest between 2nd & 3rd places as the real game just for a little excitement. 

I felt really bad for Jenny when her answer was deemed incorrect and she no longer had 2nd place locked up. She looked devastated, & I'm glad she got FJ right.

I answered 47 questions correctly, but not FJ. I didn't get any further than "J'accuse". Dr. Toothbrush said Dreyfus. 

Alex's "ode to James"..lol is annoying, but with all he has going on I can't begrudge him that excitement. 

Waiting for Jeopardy's favorite architect to join the response-filmed-before- they-died squad. RIP IM Pei (age 102!)

12 hours ago, teebax said:

They don't send them until 120 days after airing. (I'm using mine for Europe next summer, so it's fine with me.)

If anyone still gives a damn and wants the full story, I'll be happy to share it after the check clears. By then, I think everyone will have moved on!

Girl, you know damn well we don't care how long we have to wait for spilled tea or receipts, or whatever it is the cool kids say these days. 

A trip to Europe is a perfect way to enjoy your winnings! GFY 🍹

• Love 8
6 hours ago, SHD said:

Wow, that middle contestant was NOT happy with the score adjustments right before FJ. I mean, it’s not like it affected her chance to win (which was 0%). 

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think it was kind of like "please, like he needs more money."

That’s how I took it. I know they have to make everything correct, even when the outcome is unaffected, but I was like, way to rub it in, guys!

I'm starting to get a little James fatigue. I have nothing against him, and good for him that he’s making the giant stacks of money, it’s just seeming a bit robotic. It appears Ken will continue to outshine him in at least one area: personality. 

• Love 7

I made the Dreyfuss connection, but never made it to Zola.

Me, too, then was kicking myself! Ouch!

No James fatigue here. I love to watch him, love when he hits the DDs, love when he gets them right and Mr. Author and I high-five (ouch!)

• Love 18

Uhoh!  I like James.  The way he has played brought me back into the fold, so to speak.

And now i learn he went to UofI and shared my philosophy on class attendance?

Go James Go!

I-L-L-  (and, no, that’s not a prelude to spelling illness:))  

• Love 9

I missed Friday’s TT finale bc of a DVR malfunction. I don’t want to miss future episodes while this James run is on, but they don’t seem to have any alternative viewing options like YouTube or Hulu. Anyone know of any?

Last night I saw a glimpse that James might be getting tired.  He wasn’t as lightning quick on the buzzer.  I actually was able to answer a few questions before he did!

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Last night I saw a glimpse that James might be getting tired.  He wasn’t as lightning quick on the buzzer.  I actually was able to answer a few questions before he did!

Maybe, although I've thought that a couple times too. But the guy on the end kept getting in on his $1000 questions, at the beginning of the J! round.  Then the woman was getting more money, because she kept going for high value clues too.  Then James got the DD when he really couldn't get any benefit---he only had $1k and it was a $1k clue.  But then the steamroller kicked in, and it was a runaway.  Though if he had gotten FJ wrong (I know, it hasn't happened much), he would have only had $9-something thousand.  I think that would have been an interesting twist, to see how he handles a setback like that.  If I'm going to see him every night, I guess I'd like to see him struggle once in a while, even if with his own feelings or tiredness, although a great challenger would be best.  It makes the game feel too easy when he seems like he could do this for all time without breaking a sweat.  I like to see people struggle once in a while on their way up, I guess.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Waiting for Jeopardy's favorite architect to join the response-filmed-before- they-died squad. RIP IM Pei (age 102!)

Thank you. According to my FB feed, the only thing that mattered that day was the fact that Grumpy Cat also died. I never liked Grumpy Cat and I hate that her death has WAY overshadowed Pei's. (At least, from the folks I know on FB)

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have but only because my dad was a computer programmer and in the 80s computer screens were mostly referred to as displays so it came up whenever he would fix my computer or video games if that was the issue.

Well that makes me feel old, but yeah, that's why I said display ratio. I think aspect ratio has its origins in the film industry, and display was used in the computer industry. As TVs now blend the two industries, both terms seem acceptable to me. And apparently Jeopardy (but since they accepted bed surfing, that's not exactly definitive proof)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I am going to have to rewatch last night's game because I can't figure out what happened. The other two players seemed to be ringing in quite a bit in the first round, James was not noticeably fast on the buzzer (I definitely noticed some moments of hesitation before he rang in), and yet he was up to $12K by the end of the first round. How did that happen?

There is a longer version of the Twitter video (with Austin, Pam, Ken, and Brad) on the Jeopardy FB page. 

1 hour ago, Abstract said:

I am going to have to rewatch last night's game because I can't figure out what happened. The other two players seemed to be ringing in quite a bit in the first round, James was not noticeably fast on the buzzer (I definitely noticed some moments of hesitation before he rang in), and yet he was up to $12K by the end of the first round. How did that happen?

We said the same thing at casa Toothbrush! And it wasn't the DD that moved him so far ahead since he only had $1K when he found it. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, suebee12 said:

For years (including back in Art Fleming days) I wondered why people went from top to bottom...but that was  how people play!

I've been watching since Art Fleming too - there are a few reasons people go from top to bottom, besides just being an orderly way to play.  Categories build in difficulty as you go down, so it lets you get started on a few easier clues before diving into the deep end.  Also, many times later clues in a category build on those near the top, so having answered the first few helps you as you get to the lower clues. And as someone watching at home, I have a hard time keeping track of the category when contestants jump around the board, which effects how well I do when playing along - and I think sometimes contestants in the studio have the same problem.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

but I am also still experiencing immediate, involuntary eye rolls when he lands on a DD (and when he does one of his "shout out" wagers).

I'm right with you there.

I have never heard display ratio in my life - it's aspect ratio - but I'll grant that probably fits the language of the clue.  So no eye roll.  But whatever.

I could only think of ratio but not the word that came before it. When James said display ratio, I didn't think that sounded right, but oddly (or not) seeing it in your post, it did look familiar. I think I must have seen it in TV instructions, or screen or in a manual.

8 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Categories build in difficulty as you go down, so it lets you get started on a few easier clues before diving into the deep end. 

Actually I don't think this is always true. Many times I will get the "harder" questions and miss the lower valued ones. I guess it is partially what we are strong in but except for the categories that are a bit "confusing" I really don't see that much difference in depth of knowledge.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I find that irritating as well, and was especially irked by Trebek ending the show, after commenting James is almost winning two million, with this sentence: "Join us tomorrow to find out how much closer he gets to two million."

That tells me James wins again tomorrow. WTH show. Trebek needs to shut it. It's all contributing to why I have lost all interest in this guy.

I don't think the ending was filmed after the fact, though. So, Alex wouldn't really have *known* that James is going to win tomorrow. But, I think we can all be pretty assured he's going to be around at least 6 months.  I'm sticking to my original prediction of 3 years, though.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Way to go Alex!  Fawn on James more in your question section...did you HAVE to ask him how he got so much knowledge?  You just gave him a chance to say "I never attended my classes." 

Right after that statement, I heard kids all across American drop out of college.

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Pei was a clue/answer a few times not that long ago. In fairness, seems I remember Grumpy Cat being one too. The show is just off in its air dates, must be the tournament goofed up the J Curse timing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I don't think the host should be assuming who will win tomorrow, that's what irked me. 

But it didn’t assume anything he said to see how much closer he will get to $2 million even if he comes in third he gets $1,000 so will be closer to $2 million than he was the day before.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, suebee12 said:
12 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I wish all the upcoming people would say "I'm not coming on the show until you do something about James.

Exactly what are they going to do? Tell him he has to go because he is "too good"? Please take your winnings and go home? I for one, am truly enjoying his run.

This made me chuckle.  Is he supposed to dumb it down because other contestants are intimidated??  That just reeks of sour grapes, not to mention unsportsmanlike.  I'm loving it as well!  No James fatigue here.  Both my sister in law and brother in law went to UofI as well so I enjoyed that shout out.

3 hours ago, Booney said:

There was an Op Ed by Ken Jennings in yesterday’s WaPo explaining why he’s rooting for James:

Great article.  Go James Go!!  

• Love 11
12 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I am so tired of watching the other two contestants struggle to get a chance to answer. 

Eh.  That's no one's fault but their own.  They should be faster.  (I say this knowing I would be fully obliterated by even the most average Jeopardy contestant.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Maybe, although I've thought that a couple times too. But the guy on the end kept getting in on his $1000 questions, at the beginning of the J! round.  Then the woman was getting more money, because she kept going for high value clues too.  Then James got the DD when he really couldn't get any benefit---he only had $1k and it was a $1k clue.  But then the steamroller kicked in, and it was a runaway.  Though if he had gotten FJ wrong (I know, it hasn't happened much), he would have only had $9-something thousand.  I think that would have been an interesting twist, to see how he handles a setback like that.  If I'm going to see him every night, I guess I'd like to see him struggle once in a while, even if with his own feelings or tiredness, although a great challenger would be best.  It makes the game feel too easy when he seems like he could do this for all time without breaking a sweat.  I like to see people struggle once in a while on their way up, I guess.

I noticed this too and I wondered about it because as the first show of the day (taping), the contestants wouldn't have been watching from the audience. Are these now people whose episodes were taped after James' first episode aired?

• Love 1

I did not get FJ.  Not much for war movies.

I did get the Bald Soprano, though, so take that James.

And, yay, Scooby-Doo  was an answer. I love Scooby.

• Love 2

Instaget FJ for me! 

Jason is nearly a doppelgänger for someone I know, that was weird. He is another one who could have played better against notJames.

I don't think anyone playing would have seen James on TV yet.

$77,798/game after 24 games.  Astounding!

Everyday, we look forward to seeing how much James is going to win.  His fearless, methodical quest to win as much money as he can each game is fun to watch, and it's as though he has an entire set of encyclopedias memorized.  This show is his true calling.

I swept the 90s music category, and Mrs. GenX had the Zeiss TS.

@pennben -I-N-I !

• Love 6

The guy on the right did spectacularly well against James and probably would’ve won against anyone else. If he had gotten the DD’s in the second round, bet big, and gotten them right, he might’ve had a chance! I felt the air go out if the game as soon as the DD’s were won by James and the other two contestants knew there was no hope.

I imagine at some point that James might just get bored and maybe get super risky with bets because he won’t care if he loses or not.

• Love 4

Almost an instaget FJ for me tonight.  My thought was, “That movie with Denzel!  What was it?  Oh, not Born On the 4th of July, the other one — Glory!  That’s it!”  I had plenty of time to write it down.

I didn’t bother watching the rest of the game.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Quincy, Massachusetts, is pronounced kwin-Zee.  If I heard right, James said kwin-See.  Alex said it correctly.

Quincy, Illinois is pronounced KWIN see. So it's said exactly as it is spelled: Quincy. Ha. Like the Jack Klugman tv show.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I did not get FJ.  Not much for war movies.

Never saw the movie but got FJ easily. One doesn't have to read the book to know the plot. Plus there were ton-loads of promos with Matthew Broderick on a horse.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

The guy on the right did spectacularly well against James and probably would’ve won against anyone else. If he had gotten the DD’s in the second round, bet big, and gotten them right, he might’ve had a chance! I felt the air go out if the game as soon as the DD’s were won by James and the other two contestants knew there was no hope.

I'm not entirely confident he would have bet big, given that he was still selecting from the tops of categories after seeing James's approach. Kate seemed to catch on to that rather quickly. They both seemed pissy AF at the end.

FJ was an IG and is one of my favorite movies too, Alex!

• Love 7

I thought the gal in the middle(red dress) was really upset at the end, she had her hands crossed over her stomach & looked like she did not even want to shake Alex's hand at the end.  It must be discouraging for the other contestants, the guy on the end would have possibly been a winner at another time, he was quick & seemed to have good knowledge. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SHD said:

The guy on the right did spectacularly well against James and probably would’ve won against anyone else.

I was half paying attention at one point, and saw he was on a bit of a roll - he had about $12K, and I thought maybe he has a shot.  Then I saw James at $25K and I realized it was going to be another one of those games...

• Love 2

I do feel bad for good contestants going up against a powerhouse like James.

I did not get any of the (few) TSs. But I got FJ. I wasn't positive, but it was the only Civil War movie that came to mind.

• Love 2

I answered 52 questions correctly & ran the Eastern Border category, which was good for me since I usually suck at geography. Must have been really easy clues. Surprisingly I did not run the '90s Songs category because I could not remember what group Flavor Flav was in (but I remembered that Chuck D was a part of it too; no partial credit boo hiss). FJ was an instaget.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

I imagine at some point that James might just get bored and maybe get super risky with bets because he won’t care if he loses or not.

That moment of no more hope was palpable. 

I agree that James' risky wagers will be his undoing, but I'm not so sure it will be be deliberate, although you never know.  

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I could not remember what group Flavor Flav was in

Flavor Flav had a chicken restaurant for a short while in Clinton, Iowa. I ate there once. So while I knew his chicken personally, I did not know his musical group.

• LOL 5
(edited)
34 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I answered 52 questions correctly

That's worth two GFYs since that's more than James answered. So, GFYx2! *drinkdrink*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1