Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Because he is awesome!  #TeamRIIIHeisinnocent. 

I tend to agree with you. I'm assuming that since you're a RIII advocate, you've read Daughter of Time?

By the way, Francois admitted on Reddit that bed-surfing was wrong. Not that it does much good.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Of course 🙂  Its one of my favorite books.  

Have you also read The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Note to self: Next time I go to the library I need to check out Daughter of Time and  the Murders of Richard III.

Same here. Like I don't have dozens of books to read already 📚📚📚

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/14/2019 at 1:21 PM, Gimmick Genius said:

In the Miles Standish cartoon, Alden (Elmer Fudd) defends Priscilla by fighting off Indians from "the North, the South, the West, and the East." The East?? "Yes, those were the Cleveland Indians." Maybe the ones from the South were Pocahontas' people.

I found a YouTube clip of Alden/Elmer fighting off the (Cleveland) Indians. The whole cartoon is a 1940s Merrie Melody, a forerunner of Looney Tunes, titled "The Hardship of Miles Standish." Here is a play-by-play of what happens, a lot is hilariously funny if you were alive in 1940. I also found a clip of the ending where Priscilla falls for Elmer. This cartoon must have been played for decades on Saturday mornings after Looney Tunes took over Merrie Melodies.

• LOL 1
(edited)

Help me out here. Is there a difference between "all in" and "let's make it a true daily double" ? In particular, when your score is below the dd amount?

and now another question. When the clue includes a year, I'm just now noticing that Alex is always saying the "hundred". Like "nineteen hundred something something" rather than " nineteen something something ". Has it always been that way? 

Edited by SoMuchTV
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Help me out here. Is there a difference between "all in" and "let's make it a true daily double" ? In particular, when your score is below the dd amount?

My guess would be “all in” means “as much as I can bet,” which would include $1000, even if you have less. Whereas a “true daily double” means “I’m betting what I have to try to double it.” That’s my take on it, anyway.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think it's the same thing. When you're playing poker all in means you're putting all your chips in.

I got FJ right, which was good because I had a generally horrid night.  I apparently haven't been paying attention to politics, because I ashamedly missed that entire category.

I am having a sucktastic week at FJ.  Tchaikovsky was the only Russian composer I could think of!  But at least I can spell it, I guess?

Even worse, the only TS I got (that I wrote down) was the North Sea.

I am glad Mr. Muttonchops didn't win.  Something about him bugged me.  Maybe it was the muttonchops.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I think he (and they) were terrified by Women Authors!

Yep. Three men who'd rather stick with the math category they were bad at than go back to Women Authors, which they were also bad at (0/2).

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am glad Mr. Muttonchops didn't win.  Something about him bugged me.  Maybe it was the muttonchops.

I'm hoping he's the asshat who was ugly to Teebax. Although, I'm not sure I could dislike him more than I already do.

• Love 4

Okay, everyone here who got the TS of perihelion, raise your hand.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Neither did I. Who was it said the clues were dumbed down for the teachers? Raise your hand(s) ...

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I found that irritating, that player had obviously been watching James and was copying his "all in." To me, "all in" means you are betting whatever amount you have, not the extra 1,000 that the house is loaning you. The players were also skipping around the board pretty randomly, again like they were copying James' play. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Tchaikovsky was the only Russian composer I could think of!  But at least I can spell it, I guess?

Same here. Chaikoffski. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I liked Matthew's interview, "history is what's happening now." Well done, sir.

I got the TS of North Sea since not that long ago there was another clue about that area that made me look at a map. Again: Hire me as Clue Police, show.

I got a laugh out of The Seventh Seal DD clue/answer. Maybe because I've seen the Bergman film and Woody Allen's "Love and Death." Or maybe because The Seventh Seal was a clue/answer not that long ago. Call the Clue Police NOW!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

FJ was the easiest FJ ever, and I answered it so quickly and was so proud of myself for getting it immediately: Gabby Giffords.

Add me to the list of people who said Gabby Giffords!

48 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think it's the same thing. When you're playing poker all in means you're putting all your chips in.

That's what I thought too - then I got confused because I'm pretty sure he bet $1000 by saying 'all in' which doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, wasn't paying much attention. I'm finding I am missing James' style of play.

I find that the longer people are on, the more I root for them to see how far they can get and what else they can accomplish. I can't wait to get back to seeing what records James is going to break next.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My problem in the studio would be...they don't make enough Imodium to keep me out of the ladies' room.  Nerves hit me in the intestines.

I can relate. Unfortunately. 

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

.....but during dinner a mere hour earlier we watched the recording his appearance on Colbert. (we're not late night people, but we like the late night shows)

That interview was hilarious. Bill's on Watch What Happens Live tomorrow night.

33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I apparently haven't been paying attention to politics, because I ashamedly missed that entire category.

I watch a ton of MSNBC and did horrible in that entire category. Go me!

31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I wanted to take scissors and <snip snip> during his first game.

I only got John Woo and distributive tonight.

I said Rachmaninoff for FJ. He was the only other Russian composer I could think of besides Tchaikovsky, who I thought would be too obvious. Brutal week of FJ for me so far.

Sara for the win, I guess. At least we know she was nice to teebax.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I found that irritating, that player had obviously been watching James and was copying his "all in." To me, "all in" means you are betting whatever amount you have, not the extra 1,000 that the house is loaning you. The players were also skipping around the board pretty randomly, again like they were copying James' play. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

James isn't the first player to board skip.  Had James's episodes aired yet when the tournament was taped?

35 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Yep. Three men who'd rather stick with the math category they were bad at than go back to Women Authors, which they were also bad at (0/2).

I think I did well with Women Authors, but now I don't remember the clues.  I know I got Sappho.  Is not being able to remember an hour ago the sign of something bad:)

• LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I remembered another wome's author. I didn't get Katherine Gilbert.  Never heard of her.  

That one was tough, I'll give them that.

James isn't the first player to board skip.  Had James's episodes aired yet when the tournament was taped?

I believe not - the only way people in the tournament would know about James and his style of play is if they heard buzz about him from being on set. 

It was...disappointing to see three men avoid Women Authors like the plague. And teachers, no less. Sigh.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Ughhh he reminds me of some guy in some show! Maybe "evening shade" that Burt Reynolds was in? That said, I don't especially like or dislike him, just trying to figure out who he reminds me of.

7 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

Um. Er. (Hesitantly raises hand.) 

Yeay YOU! I am not surprised since I know you are a brainiac. So, GFY (in the Trebekian sense, not that "other" definition).

• LOL 1

The first thing I said when the category about teacher songs came up was “Van Halen’s Hot for Teacher better be in there!”

Mutton chops guy looked like some kind of Christopher Lloyd character. 

• Love 5

Ugh, that was the worst day of Jeopardy I've had in a long time. I bombed out on so many categories, but FJ was an instaget. Classical music is my thing. 

I can't believe that with time running out they kept trying the math questions that obviously no one knew. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Okay, everyone here who got the TS of perihelion, raise your hand.

So did I.  But in case it helps you feel better, I said Gabby Giffords for FJ yesterday.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Driad said:

So did I.  But in case it helps you feel better, I said Gabby Giffords for FJ yesterday.

This does not surprise me Driad The Brainiac! (GFY!) And you are always welcome at the Wrong Answer table (even though THAT surprises me). We're non-judgemental there. Plus ... TREATS!

Okay, that's two for perihelion so far.

(edited)

A day later and I’m still annoyed Julia didn’t win yesterday.  Go Sara!

Dave’s facial hair isn’t a mutton chop, is it?  Those are sideburns on steroids (and maybe connect to a mustache), while he didn’t have anything coming down the sides, just a mustache that zoomed out into madness off the end of his chin.  So I don't think those are mutton chops, but I have no idea what the style is called (other than ugly).  Or maybe I've just misunderstood mutton chops all this time (I dislike all facial hair - well, other than eyebrows - so it's not exactly an area of expertise).

I ran the first round (and, like another poster, pre-called Hot For Teacher; also School’s Out), but I missed one each in ancient battles, math, women authors, and foreign films in DJ.  Big drop-off, but still a good game for me overall.  Until FJ, but I wasn’t expecting much from myself based on the category; I would have to study composers in order to compete.

I’m surprised vegetate was a TS, with Alex all but saying that “veg” was halfway there.  John Woo was a bit surprising, too, especially when Dave went on to be pretty knowledgeable in that category.  They were obviously bad in math, but, even well into realizing that, the range TS still surprised me.  I correctly predicted North Sea and perihelion were going to be TS.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Wrong Answer table ... Plus ... TREATS!

I can bring ginger covered with dark chocolate.

The mutton chops looked like lichen to me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Driad said:

I can bring ginger covered with dark chocolate.

In that case, I demand you get more wrong answers. Looking forward to it!

ETA: I cut Dave slack on the facial hair because 1. he's an art teacher; and 2. he's from Montana. Two pluses outweighed the negative.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Oh good, everyone’s already covered the main things I wanted to talk about!

I’d like to see someone at a poker table try to go “all in” with more chips than they currently have.  I was hoping they would just add $200 to his score and tell him that’s what he asked for. 

And secondly, they were so afraid of women authors that they just kept going to math, even though they clearly knew nothing about it. But hey, they successfully left 3 clues in the authors category on the board, so: WIN! My mathematician husband couldn’t stop laughing. 

• LOL 1

All I got was vegetate, and that was after the guy wrongly guessed 'veg.'

For FJ I said Rimsky-Korsakov. But then I thought, Oh the guy who wrote Night on Bald Mountain. Mussorky? (google: Mussorgsky)

(I'm trying to guess who it is that was mean to teebax.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ughhh he reminds me of some guy in some show! Maybe "evening shade" that Burt Reynolds was in? That said, I don't especially like or dislike him, just trying to figure out who he reminds me of.

Michael Jeter?

MichaelJeter_feat.jpg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

and now another question. When the clue includes a year, I'm just now noticing that Alex is always saying the "hundred". Like "nineteen hundred something something" rather than " nineteen something something ". Has it always been that way? 

Yes, he has always phrased years that way & it has always driven me nutz. 

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

Then again, wasn't paying much attention. I'm finding I am missing James' style of play.

Same here. After @teebax 's game I stopped watching except for FJ, but will watch the final games. Go Sara! 

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I said Rachmaninoff for FJ. He was the only other Russian composer I could think of besides Tchaikovsky, who I thought would be too obvious. Brutal week of FJ for me so far.

I pre-guessed Tchaikovsky (which seemed way too obvious to be right), but changed to Rachmaninoff based on the date in the clue. Stravinsky didn't even enter my mind. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Here's a fantasy WWYD scenario for Jeopardy:

You're in DJ, and playing incredibly well, keeping neck-and-neck with the champion. The DD is hiding, but you finally find it on the last clue. You have a $100 lead. The category is your absolute best category, the one thing that you never ever miss.

Do you wager everything except the $100 and attempt the runaway? Or do you make a sensible wager and hope to do well in FJ?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Dave’s facial hair isn’t a mutton chop, is it?  Those are sideburns on steroids (and maybe connect to a mustache), while he didn’t have anything coming down the sides, just a mustache that zoomed out into madness off the end of his chin.

No, he doesn't have mutton chops - your understanding of them, sideburns on steroids, pretty well explains them.  He just has some funky stuff happening at the ends of his mustache.

Kate Sedley's Roger the Chapman series paints Richard III in a good light as well.

Of course, most of the last Plantagenet's bad reputation with the general public comes from Shakespeare's play -- Shakespeare, who wrote it smack dab in the middle of Queen Elizabeth Tudor's reign!  It wouldn't have been very smart of old Will to portray her grandpa's rival as anything but a villain!

Ha!  Michael Jeter! 

I knew a gentleman who used to have muttonchops like that (before he lost them due to chemo) -- I used to tease him and ask if he had a zoot suit, white jacket to go with his "Sideburns - Five inches long!"  You know, like in the Who song?  One of my favorite Mondegreens.  I don't know how many years it was before I found out it was actually "side vents."  Too bad; I was picturing Jimmy as looking like Quentin from Dark Shadows 😉

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Do you wager everything except the $100 and attempt the runaway? Or do you make a sensible wager and hope to do well in FJ?

If the category is Westminster Best In Show Winners or Famous Fox Terriers, I go "all in" (TM James) and kick massive butt. And everyone on this thread will talk about me for, well, five or 10 minutes or so. Then I disappear into obscurity.

• LOL 9
On 5/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, Abstract said:

Get out of my brain! I thought it too, but then I re-read the clue and realized 2006 was too early. So then I was stumped.

The shooting was January 8th, 2011. I work about a mile from the scene, though, as I work graveyard, I was unaware until I woke up that afternoon and turned on the news.

8 hours ago, Abstract said:

Here's a fantasy WWYD scenario for Jeopardy:

You're in DJ, and playing incredibly well, keeping neck-and-neck with the champion. The DD is hiding, but you finally find it on the last clue. You have a $100 lead. The category is your absolute best category, the one thing that you never ever miss.

I would bet everything.  No guts, no glory.

I answered Rimsy Korsakov for FJ!  Spelling doesn’t count, but I was wrong anyway.

(edited)
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

We know him as Herman Stiles, but also the creepy Frenchman in "The Green Mile." We called the contestant Mr. Peepers, but he's before most everyone else's time.

My husband got Miles Standish from his actual book-learnin', but it's amazing how many Jeopardy questions he gets right from what I call his Bugs Bunny education.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Abstract said:

I tend to agree with you. I'm assuming that since you're a RIII advocate, you've read Daughter of Time?

That's the book that started my research into RIII. Loved that book.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am having a sucktastic week at FJ.  Tchaikovsky was the only Russian composer I could think of!  But at least I can spell it, I guess?

The mister picked Tchaikovsky, and I picked Stravinsky - the only two Russian composers our brains accessed. I'm not sure I'd have spelled it correctly enough (ie no extra syllables) to get it, though.

11 hours ago, lb60 said:
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

.....but during dinner a mere hour earlier we watched the recording his appearance on Colbert. (we're not late night people, but we like the late night shows)

That interview was hilarious. Bill's on Watch What Happens Live tomorrow night.

We laughed so hard. I don't think I've ever seen a funnier interview - except maybe on Graham Norton, but his guests get sloshed.

• Love 2

I'm interested to see that so many people struggled with the FJ. I rolled my eyes and said "oh they picked the easiest thing!" This is not back-patting, this is the it's-easy-if-you-know-it. I turned to my husband and he said ... "Was Vivaldi Russian?" Which I thought was crazy talk until he explained how he'd gotten there - Vivaldi, the Four Seasons ... I think he was actually, somewhere in the back of his mind, tuned into the pagan/spring connection and just took a left turn (at Albuquerque).

For me, I was just like "it's probably the single most famous incident in classical music history, the riot at the premiere of the Rite of Spring. Stravinsky."

And about the difference between standing there in person and answering from your couch, I have done it, and after the first question, I quit noticing anything at all on that stage except the board. What was difficult was on-the-spot math. I would have practiced that ahead of time somehow - maybe on a hot downtown street corner with a sign that says "pull a daily double scenario from the box". Then I'd have to come up with a plausible bet within 10 seconds.

• Love 1

I was rooting against Dave, based solely on the annoying facial hair. He actually didn't seem like a bad guy, I'd be surprised if he was the one who was an asshole to Teebax. But I just can't with that mustache. I once worked with a guy with a big, bushy mustache and besides looking ridiculous, it was disgusting to see him eat. He was constantly trying to hold all the hair out of the way, but still had to constantly wipe food out of it. Gross. I had forgotten about him until Dave. Thanks, Dave.

Go Sara!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

" We called the contestant Mr. Peepers, but he's before most everyone else's time.

Well, guess I'm not most everyone! I remember Wally Cox quite well!!!

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, that facial hair...

My ts's were vegetate, North Sea and Sappho.  For FJ I pre-called Tchaikovsky and Rimski-Korsakov (totally forgetting Prokofiev), but didn't think it was either of them so I did manage to come up with Stravinsky. I was really proud of myself since I have only a surface knowledge of classical music🙂

I also remember Mr. Peepers.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

On the "True Daily Double" vs "All In" question; I'd say "all in" should just mean the money (or chips) you have. That's how James uses it, I believe. But when he has less than the $1000, he says "(bet) the table limit", not just "all in."

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We know him as Herman Stiles, but also the creepy Frenchman in "The Green Mile." We called the contestant Mr. Peepers, but he's before most everyone else's time.

Taking this to small talk.

ETA:

4 hours ago, DXD526 said:

He actually didn't seem like a bad guy, I'd be surprised if he was the one who was an asshole to Teebax.

I'm not saying that he IS the guy; I'm just hoping he is, so I'll only have one contestant to beat up on.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2