Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, rhys said:

I'm wondering why Lee Radziwill was not acknowledged correctly as Caroline.

Before posting, please read the Mod notes:

Jeopardy! spoilers:

Since the show airs at different times in many markets, please avoid posting information about any new episode of the day before 7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT. If absolutely necessary, you can spoiler tag it. This allows for posters to watch it in their own local TV markets.  Thank you.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, illdoc said:

That was...painful. No one knew William Tell was Swiss??? And missing Miles Standish to boot (at least it gave me a *)!!!

I agree. And it was sad that no one knew Jane Addams. 

• Love 2

I got FJ.

I also got Mountain Dew, adverb (how did teachers not know that), Jane Addams, Switzerland, not sure if there were any other TS's.

I did miss Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, because I left out spotless.  Not much of a movie buff.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I had no idea there was a Miles Standish cemetery.  Also I've never read the poem, so I had no idea it was about John and Priscilla.  Big nope on FJ for me today!  🙂    It's a bad start to the week!

But I did get Mountain Dew and cholesterol, so there's that.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Driad said:

Mods, Is there any way we can get this posted as a 'banner' above the reply box? I have seen this on other forums (e.g. the Riverdale Spoilers forum).

It's really disappointing to have a game or part of a game ruined because other posters are not aware of the rules.

Anyways, I think 'Caroline' warranted a BMS. Just answering 'Caroline' is not acceptable IMO.

• Love 4

I thought the FJ tonight was easy,  I remembered reading the poem in school and I thought at Thanksgiving, teachers always talked about Miles Standish & Priscilla said to him 'Speak for yourself"....

(edited)

I got Richard III, Switzerland, adverb, conjunction, Jane Addams, and Miles Standish.

Two days in a row I got FJ from reading my kid's history book. This is kind of creepy.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1
Just now, Abstract said:

I got Richard III, Switzerland, adverb, conjunction, and Miles Standish.

Two days in a row I got FJ from reading my kid's history book. This is kind of creepy.

I didn't get conjunction.  Lest was not in Conjuction Junction:)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Driad said:
1 hour ago, rhys said:

I'm wondering why Lee Radziwill was not acknowledged correctly as Caroline.

Jeopardy! spoilers:

Since the show airs at different times in many markets, please avoid posting information about any new episode of the day before 7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT. If absolutely necessary, you can spoiler tag it. This allows for posters to watch it in their own local TV markets.  Thank you.

Huh?  I'm in ET, and when I checked the thread just after Jeopardy ended here (like, 8:03ET), the timestamp on that post was "1 hour ago".  That's cool, right?  Or is the timestamp getting rounded and it was really there before 7:00 ET?

• Love 1

I got a lot of answers, but am calling foul on the one that was answered “Scotch”. Balvenie and Bunnahabhain are single malt whiskys. As someone who has lived in Scotland for a portion of my life I can tell you this might be fighting territory! 

I got all of the answers in the William Tell category plus The Oxford Dictionary, Jackie Kennedy (or O) and Lee Radizwell, Gulf of St Lawrence and Cholesterol. 

@teebax I’m intrigued as to whom the contestant is whom you had a dislike for. 

• Love 2

Good work, Sara!

For FJ, from the Findagrave site.

Just now, SoMuchTV said:

Or is the timestamp getting rounded and it was really there before 7:00 ET?

The post was here about 6:45 ET when I checked (thinking it would be safe).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I thought the FJ tonight was easy,  I remembered reading the poem in school and I thought at Thanksgiving, teachers always talked about Miles Standish & Priscilla said to him 'Speak for yourself"....

Since so much of what I was taught in school about Thanksgiving turned out to be false and the true story was not so uplifting, it doesn't surprise me that "The Courtship of Miles Standish" isn't part of the curriculum anymore. But I didn't expect it to be a TS; did none of them ever watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving? Marcie refuses to convey Peppermint Patty's apology (for insulting Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving meal) to him, and tells her she needs to speak for herself.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rhys said:

I'm wondering why Lee Radziwill was not acknowledged correctly as Caroline. That's her real name

That was a huge mistake by the show. Her real name was Caroline Lee Radziwill so the player who answered "Caroline" should have at least been told BMS. But my thinking is those clue writers thought he meant Caroline Kennedy, Jackie's daughter. Even though the clue said they were sisters and yes, Jacqueline's sister's name WAS CAROLINE.

This show sometimes.

• Love 4

I too was sad about Jane Addams being a TS.  

FJ was an instaget for me.  My late father did graduate work with a descendant of John and Priscilla in Boston in the 50s.  A dry cleaner gave that John Alden a hard time about picking up some laundry until he produced i.d. So my dad stepped up next and announced he was Miles Standish.  The dry cleaner was not amused.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Huh?  I'm in ET, and when I checked the thread just after Jeopardy ended here (like, 8:03ET), the timestamp on that post was "1 hour ago".  That's cool, right?  Or is the timestamp getting rounded and it was really there before 7:00 ET?

If you hover over "1 hour ago" (on a desktop, anyway), it gives 6:42 PM.

Here I was wondering if Lee Bouvier would have been ok; I had no idea about her real first name and how badly the show messed that up. Sheesh!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, dcalley said:

If you hover over "1 hour ago" (on a desktop, anyway), it gives 6:42 PM.

Ah right. If there's a way to do that on a tablet or phone, I haven't figured it out yet.

Agreed, not cool. But probably an unintended mistake.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

But my thinking is those clue writers thought he meant Caroline Kennedy, Jackie's daughter.

That's what I figured.  And, granted, he had some rather foolish answers tonight, but they can't just assume he confused her daughter's name with her sister's.  I'm surprised that didn't get retroactively credited to him (at the time, he should have been prompted to BMS, and then if he answered Kennedy instead of Radziwill, he'd indeed have been wrong, but they didn't give him the chance).  Now, he probably did confuse the names, if he didn't object during the break that Lee's first name was Caroline and that's who he meant.  But still; the answer card should have noted the full name to account for this possibility.

A number of the TS surprised me tonight: conjunction and, especially, adverb (they're teachers!), the OED, Gulf of St. Lawrence (complete with highlighted map, but geography has got to stop surprising me as a very weak category for contestants), and cholesterol were all clues I'd have predicted someone would get.  I’m also a bit surprised none of them have ever heard of Mountain Dew Mouth.  Jane Addams didn’t surprise me, but it did make me sad.

• Love 1

Did anyone else get the “Don’t miss the return of James Holzhauer next Monday”commercial just before Final Jeopardy!?  It was a bit odd, but maybe it was just in my area.  He is a local and the station is going all out to promote his run.

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

Mods, Is there any way we can get this posted as a 'banner' above the reply box?

It's in the first post in the Mod Notes thread, which is pinned as the first thread in the forum, but new posters who don't check the Mod Notes thread and veteran posters who read it back when it was posted and then forgot about it along the way probably make up a good number of posters.  So I agree it would be good to have as a pinned post in the season thread each year.  Especially this year, with the temptation to (negligently, not maliciously) post about James's latest victory, or loss when the time comes, it would be nice to make sure everyone is on notice to wait until the assigned time.

(There's also a Spoilers thread for those who just can't contain themselves, which could be linked to in the pinned post.)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Did anyone else get the “Don’t miss the return of James Holzhauer next Monday”commercial just before Final Jeopardy!?  It was a bit odd, but maybe it was just in my area.  He is a local and the station is going all out to promote his run.

I got it here in Charlotte, NC.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I’m also a bit surprised none of them have ever heard of Mountain Dew Mouth.

I never heard of it, but I got it right as a pretty confident guess.

So, TSs I got were OED, adverb, and Mountain Dew. I couldn't remember Lee Radziwill's name (and didn't know Caroline was actually her first name), and there were a couple of others I just couldn't pull from my brain.

I didn't have any idea for FJ. I'm not even sure if I've ever read The Courtship of Miles Standish, though the title sounded familiar.

• Love 1

I still get squirmy when they accept “Ellen” when the answer is “Ellen DeGeneres” (the person, not the name of her show). It’s clear who’s being referred to but still, if they had a question about a British PM and someone just answered “Winston,” would that be acceptable? It’s not like Ellen is like Cher or Madonna, where their first names are all they ever use.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

It aired here in central California as well. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Did anyone else get the “Don’t miss the return of James Holzhauer next Monday” commercial just before Final Jeopardy!? 

Yes, and it ruined a perfectly enjoyable game for me. As posters may or may not know <wink>, I can't stand James.

I did not get FJ.

I did get adverb and Mountain Dew, so I'm not a complete loser.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

The 30-second skip button is my friend. If I press it 7 times at the first commercial break, then I will be at the part where Alex is talking to the returning champ. I think it's 5 times before DJ, and 6 before FJ. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

@teebax, I was going to ask you if you and other tournament players got to stay, or did stay, to watch the final games so you would know the winner, or if ya'll were sequestered or kicked out. (No rudeness intended!)

I hope the one player whom you did not care for isn't the final winner.

Have you kept in contact with the other teachers? It would be interesting to know how they are doing during the showing. It's cool that Tucson is treating you well. I hope your students are duly impressed with your play because I was. Too bad your stress-induced illness (my diagnosis) didn't wait a few days. That was not a good way to end such a fantastic experience.

I had been really sick the week before taping, but that wasn't the problem. Let's just say if you have zero experience with cannabis, going to a dispensary in a place where it's legal and imbibing an entire brownie is NOT a smart idea. 

I haven't had contact with most of the other teachers, but Sara was really nice. We were supposed to do a trivia night and karaoke the night I got sick. I was super happy to see she made the finals. My sister spent some time with her while I was in the hotel room trying to get it to stop spinning. 

I was surprised Joe lost. He announced the first day he was winning the whole thing. No, he wasn't the one I disliked. I like confidence. When the check clears, I'll be happy to let you all know who was pretty nasty to me at the end of day one. It still ticks me off. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm wondering why Lee Radziwill was not acknowledged correctly as Caroline. That's her real name, but maybe tptb were concerned viewers would think the clue was oddly worded. I dunno. The clue used the word "sisters" in it. Anyway it could be argued that the guy who guessed "Caroline" got  robbed.

I'm old so I knew who she was. Never heard her addressed as Caroline, though. I would think with a sister they would want the full name.

• Love 2

Let me just give thanks that the man on the end did not win!!!  Glad to see he lost some of his arrogance.... excuse me confidence since his first game.  I am totally happy with the finalist. 

Maybe it is just me, but I thought a lot of the clues were super easy and I was surprised on a few that no one got...maybe I am getting smarter!  It has only taken ....decades of watching Jeopardy! 😁

With the Caroline answer, they should have asked BMS, to get the last name.  I've only heard her referred to as (Princess) Lee Radziwill and didn't know that Lee wasn't her first name.

I knew Switzerland, Jane Addams, Mountain Dew, and FJ, though I guessed on FJ.

Like Sara, so glad she's a finalist.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

7 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I got it here in Charlotte, NC.

I saw it here in NYC also. It didn't quite ruin the game for me, but it did annoy. I don't recall this much fuss about any other contestant, even Ken Jennings. Worst part was a shot of a losing contestant (may have been almost-winner Adam) and Alex saying something like "How does it feel to run into a buzzsaw?"

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Gulf of St. Lawrence (complete with highlighted map, but geography has got to stop surprising me as a very weak category for contestants),

I'm very weak in geography, but even I got St. Lawrence.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I saw it here in NYC also. It didn't quite ruin the game for me, but it did annoy. I don't recall this much fuss about any other contestant, even Ken Jennings. Worst part was a shot of a losing contestant (may have been almost-winner Adam) and Alex saying something like "How does it feel to run into a buzzsaw?"

I wasn't paying complete attention but I did hear the buzzsaw question here in Metro Atlanta.

I'm a little surprised that Myles Standish gave so many people so much trouble.  I thought that would be an instaget for almost everyone.  I wonder if this is somewhat generational?  Maybe the story of the John Alden-Priscilla Mullins-Myles Standish love triangle is not part of the school curriculum when they teach about the holidays anymore.  For me, it was a standard part of the story of Thanksgiving, reinforced by being retold every year in "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," as GreekGeek mentioned.  But possibly they don't teach it anymore.  Likewise, Longfellow's poetry is fairly out of fashion these days, so "The Courtship of Myles Standish" is probably not as familiar a piece as it once was.  And get off my lawn, you darn kids!

We got the "Return of Holzhauer" commercial in Indiana as well, so I'm assuming it was nationwide.  The fact is, whether we like it or not, James has been a ratings bonanza for the show.  Of course they're going to hype him.

I never even knew that Jackie Kennedy had a sister, let alone what her name was.

• Love 1

I didn't know Miles Standish.  Or that William Tell was swiss

16 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm a little surprised that Myles Standish gave so many people so much trouble.  I thought that would be an instaget for almost everyone.  I wonder if this is somewhat generational?  Maybe the story of the John Alden-Priscilla Mullins-Myles Standish love triangle is not part of the school curriculum when they teach about the holidays anymore.  For me, it was a standard part of the story of Thanksgiving, reinforced by being retold every year in "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," as GreekGeek mentioned.  But possibly they don't teach it anymore.  Likewise, Longfellow's poetry is fairly out of fashion these days, so "The Courtship of Myles Standish" is probably not as familiar a piece as it once was.  And get off my lawn, you darn kids!

We got the "Return of Holzhauer" commercial in Indiana as well, so I'm assuming it was nationwide.  The fact is, whether we like it or not, James has been a ratings bonanza for the show.  Of course they're going to hype him.

I never even knew that Jackie Kennedy had a sister, let alone what her name was.

I graduated high school in 1991.  I was never taught about the story of which you speak.  ANd I don't remember it from the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, chessiegal said:

Naptown is such a well known (and beloved) nickname for Annapolis that the Middies did a Spirit video featuring the nickname a few years ago.

Middies doing Naptown Funk

I've heard several cities referred to as Naptown.  I didn't know it was anything specific about Annapolis

• Love 1
Just now, DrSpaceman said:

I didn't know Miles Standish.  Or that William Tell was swiss

I graduated high school in 1991.  I was never taught about the story of which you speak.  ANd I don't remember it from the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. 

I graduated in '90.  I remember learing about the Courtship of Myles Standish, but don't think we studied it at Thanksgiving, and I also don't remember it from the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  I am wondering if it's also somewhat regional.  As a New Englander, I feel that we studied more Mayflower and Puritans than we did Jamestown and Pocahontas.  

Well, I've never read The Courtship of Miles Standish, but FJ was still an insta-get... because of reruns of the Warner Bros cartoon! I looked it up; The Hardship of MIles Standish from 1940, which casts Elmer Fudd as John Alden - delivering a singing telegram from Miles to Priscilla!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm a little surprised that Myles Standish gave so many people so much trouble. 

I knew it, I just couldn't pull it from the dark, dusty part of my brain where it was stored.  As soon as Alex said "Myles", I blurted out "Standish!!!"  I don't think they would have given me credit for that, though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The fact is, whether we like it or not, James has been a ratings bonanza for the show.  Of course they're going to hype him.

I'm excited he will be back next week.  I'm enjoying the teacher's tournament but I also think a lot of the clues have been "dumbed down" which I find offensive (for the teachers).  Last night I was thinking what if James was up against any of these contestants...it wouldn't even be a challenge.

I knew the answer but didn't know her first name was actually Caroline.  Maybe if he had said Caroline Radziwell it would have been accepted.  I didn't like that "Ellen" was accepted without the Degenerous, but I also get really annoyed when contestants only answer with last names.  First and last should be required.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I'm enjoying the teacher's tournament but I also think a lot of the clues have been "dumbed down" which I find offensive (for the teachers).

I would find it offensive for the teachers except for the fact that they're missing more clues than I am.  Some clues that I thought were ridiculously easy.

• Love 7
(edited)

@teebax, I'm sorry to hear that someone was really nasty to you; that really sucks.

My ts's were Switzerland, conjunction, Gulf of St. Lawrence, adverb; dh got Mountain Dew Mouth.  I was kicking myself for not getting Richard III.

Instaget FJ.  I was very surprised none of the contestants got that one.

I like Sara, will root for her to win.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I'm old so I knew who she was. Never heard her addressed as Caroline, though. I would think with a sister they would want the full name.

That's why it should have been a BMS. Kit Carson and all.

2 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Well, I've never read The Courtship of Miles Standish, but FJ was still an insta-get... because of reruns of the Warner Bros cartoon! I looked it up; The Hardship of MIles Standish from 1940, which casts Elmer Fudd as John Alden - delivering a singing telegram from Miles to Priscilla! 

LOL! This must be why I knew it as well. Saturday morning cartoons were a treasure trove of educational topics.

This surprises me more than all of the TSs that Monday's players did not know. Say it ain't so!

ETA: Good on Sara for winning that game. Well played. I'll be rooting for you to go all the way.

Edited by saber5055

Teebax, I too am sorry someone was nasty to you. That's inexcusable. 

2 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

I'll have to look up that Elmer Fudd cartoon. I've probably seen it -- I think I've seen them all -- but I don't remember it.

I'd get The Courtship of Eddie's Father before I'd ever get The Courtship of Miles Standish.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I have no excuse for missing Miles Standish. Not only do I have know the poem, I went to school with a descendant of his. Instead, I dredged up Evangeline. Sigh...

I mispronounced Radziwell, putting the "z" first. So I botched that one too. I did sweep one category, but I forget which...age creeps up on me. 🤣

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This surprises me more than all of the TSs that Monday's players did not know. Say it ain't so!

Sorry.  It was...dare I say it...before my time!

• LOL 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Jane Addams is always a TS which makes me sad.  My friend teaches at the Jane Addams College of Social Work at UIC. 

I said Jane Addams, but I don't know if I would have rung in.  The clue said "co-founder of Hull House" and I didn't know who the other co-founder is and I didn't know that Jane Addams one a Nobel Peace Prize.  Since it was a high dollar amount clue, IIRC, I said it in a questioning tone, thinking it was probably the other founder.

Edited by Katy M