Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, Abstract said:

I got soprano, typing, c-a-c-a-o, and the Golden Rule.

I said coloratura which is a high soprano. The Bell Song from Lakme is extremely difficult with an very high range. I wonder if that would count.

4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That whole "Alexa" thing is annoying the crap out of me.  I hope that isn't going to be a continuous thing on "Jeopardy".

They have to get the money to pay James somehow.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That whole "Alexa" thing is annoying the crap out of me.  I hope that isn't going to be a continuous thing on "Jeopardy".

Is there an Alexa vs. Watson vs. James tournament scheduled?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

It should just be a tie-in for the tournament (Amazon Alexa is the "presented by" sponsor).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bythelake said:

I said coloratura which is a high soprano. The Bell Song from Lakme is extremely difficult with an very high range. I wonder if that would count.

That did occur to me, but Jeopardy tends to follow Occam's Razor pretty closely.

3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Which I just read very quickly as La Blow Him 🙂

I was a major Peanuts fan in my youth--I had Charlie Brown bedsheets, a windup toy doghouse with Snoopy on top (which I see on Ebay for $75!), and I bought the paperback compilations of the comics--but "security blanket" just did not happen at all for me. 

I think that the reference to "analects" in the Golden Rule clue threw them off; although I got it I understand why the contestants didn't. 

I said "do unto others..., etc." but didn't say Golden Rule. So I probably wouldn't have been credited for it. But I was at home. 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Do I get partial credit for getting part of FJ?  I could only come up with NATO, but that was an instaget, so it should count, right?

I did get end run, Montgomery, and H.G. Wells.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got typing. I don't know what brand of antacid uses bismuth carbonate, but all the ones in my house are calcium carbonate.

22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Yes, but the question was about an element with carbonate. The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate, not carbonate.

This question had me yelling at my TV. I was glad they accepted calcium as correct, but still  upset that they didn't clarify that bismuth was just wrong.

• Love 1

okay, late to the party.  @teebax, you were great. We are so proud of you. Annie Sullivan for the win!  You was robbed on chimes  

Rules question:  the next day the one contestant was credited with $2,000 for the calcium answer. What if the other contestants had answered correctly?  How do they handle those conflicts. 

Security blanket:  had no idea that had anything to do with WWII. 

There were two occasions when they let someone give a “more specific” answer.  (The only one I remember now is Astro Turf.). Why do they allow it some times and not others?  Seems highly arbitrary. 

• Love 2

I object to the clue "Crabtown" being a nickname for Annapolis. Around these parts its nickname is "Naptown". Wikipedia says 2 other nicknames are "America's Sailing Capital" and "Crabtown on the Bay", not just "Crabtown".

• Useful 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, secnarf said:

This question had me yelling at my TV. I was glad they accepted calcium as correct, but still  upset that they didn't clarify that bismuth was just wrong.

FWIW, my bottle of CVS brand pink goo says it’s for heartburn and indigestion as well as diarrhea. 

Edited by GussieK

Shout out to @opus, even if it was Mr. Holland's Opus, not Primetimer Opus.

I got a kick out of Melissa, she was really invested in this game.

I wish Sara and Conor were next to each other, because ... Sara Conor.

What does a hedgehog have to do with a groundhog? That TS totally went over my head.

I did get H.G.Wells and Time Machine. So GFM.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, GussieK said:

FWIW, my bottle of CVS brand pink goo says it’s for heartburn and indigestion as well as diarrhea. 

Yes, but as pointed out above, that is bismuth subsalicylate, not bismuth carbonate. The clue was asking for a word that precedes 'carbonate'.

• Useful 1

Tonight I got hedgehog, Montgomery, and South Africa.

I also got as far as NATO for FJ, then nothing. It's looking like another fantastic week of FJ for me. <sarcasm>

• LOL 1

I think that first round was the easiest board I've ever seen outside of Teen Tournament or Kids Tournament.

I got hedgehog, end run, Exodus, and H.G. Wells (the writers must be fans, The Time Machine just came up as a clue recently).

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wasn’t sure which female teacher to root for, decided on my sister curly-haired woman, and then spent the game unsure whether I was amused or annoyed by her reactions to answering incorrectly/being beaten to the buzzer.  I ultimately landed on amused.

Hedgehog was a surprising TS because it was narrowed down to another __hog.  End run surprised me, too.  Only one of them getting FJ, and one of them not even coming up with one of the two, surprised me, too, but nowhere near as much as only one contestant getting the Annie Sullivan FJ.  Sara's missed DDs caused my eyebrows to raise to varying degrees, especially the lack of "duh, of course" reaction when South Africa was revealed as the correct answer.  Landing on all three DDs and not getting a single one right is not a good look, and I don't think they were challenging enough to make that a likely fate of any given contestant.

I pre-called aperitif (in fact, it was the only a-f word I could think of before Alex read the next category), so I was amused to see that indeed show up.  I successfully pre-called a couple of the answers in the Film Teachers category, too.  I’m easily entertained.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

What does a hedgehog have to do with a groundhog? That TS totally went over my head.

Just another [blank]hog animal.

I did get H.G.Wells and Time Machine. So GFM.

I know that you mean "Good for me" but I initially (heh) read that as, well, as something else.

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I pre-called aperitif...

I got that, but if I said it out loud, I think I would have been ruled wrong: Ah-per-TEEF.

I got South Africa ('township' gave it to me), HG Wells, and Alice B Toklas.

I also got FJ. Yay.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Dr. Toothbrush: "Why are they starting at the top? They must not want to win any money". James really has us accustomed to his style of gameplay..lol

I got NATO right off & Warsaw Pact was all I could think of so I went with it, but I really thought there was another name for the Soviet-aligned bloc. Guess not. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Shout out to @opus, even if it was Mr. Holland's Opus, not Primetimer Opus.

I wish Sara and Conor were next to each other, because ... Sara Conor.

But there was a penguin clue, so shoutout to @opus & @Browncoat 

Sara & Conor next to each other would have been awesome!

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Oh yes, what is wrong with me that I didn't remember that double penguin connection. Yeay @Toothbrush!

30 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Dr. Toothbrush: "Why are they starting at the top? They must not want to win any money". James really has us accustomed to his style of gameplay..lol

Watching today's game, I thought it was good no one went "all in" on the DDs since no one knew the answers. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." TM Seinfeld.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I found that second in alphabetical order category hard. I think the only thing I’d get in there is “of letters of the alphabet “. And even then I’d probably panic and say c

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, opus said:

I found that second in alphabetical order category hard. I think the only thing I’d get in there is “of letters of the alphabet “. And even then I’d probably panic and say c

That was really hard, I only got the Bible one because there were only 5 to choose from and I could process it quickly (I missed the branches of government from not paying attention).

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, Abstract said:

That was really hard, I only got the Bible one because there were only 5 to choose from and I could process it quickly (I missed the branches of government from not paying attention).

That was the only one I didn't get in that category.  Shocking though it may seem, I actually do know some chapter titles, but I had no idea what the "Pentateuch" section referred to (I only know there's an Old and New Testament), so I didn't even try guessing one of the early-alphabet ones in my arsenal because the five somethings means nothing to me in this context.  I've never read/seen Harry Potter, but with two close friends who are devoted fans, "Hufflepuff" popped out as a wild-ass guess that turned out to be correct; that one was pure luck.  But it came out as "Huff ... el ... um, puff?" so I'd have never rung in with it in a game.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

That was the only one I didn't get in that category.  Shocking though it may seem, I actually do know some chapter titles, but I had no idea what the "Pentateuch" section referred to (I only know there's an Old and New Testament), so I didn't even try guessing one of the early-alphabet ones in my arsenal because the five somethings means nothing to me in this context.  I've never read/seen Harry Potter, but with two close friends who are devoted fans, "Hufflepuff" popped out as a wild-ass guess that turned out to be correct; that one was pure luck.  But it came out as "Huff ... el ... um, puff?" so I'd have never rung in with it in a game.

Oh, that's right, I got that one too, but again - only 4 to choose from. The reindeer and dwarf questions were hard, and good job for the contestant who got them.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I object to the clue "Crabtown" being a nickname for Annapolis. Around these parts its nickname is "Naptown". Wikipedia says 2 other nicknames are "America's Sailing Capital" and "Crabtown on the Bay", not just "Crabtown".

The only time I hear "The Big Peach" is on New Year's Eve, when Atlanta has The Big Peach Drop to compete with Times Square.  Lately, it seems like everybody's calling it "The A.T.L."  Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Do I get partial credit for getting part of FJ?  I could only come up with NATO, but that was an instaget, so it should count, right?

I did get end run, Montgomery, and H.G. Wells.

I hung my head in shame when I didn't get the Warsaw Pact, being a military brat who was stationed on the edge of (then) East Germany and Czechoslovakia during my formative years. The mister and I were searching our brains for acronyms  - so we told ourselves.

13 hours ago, GussieK said:

okay, late to the party.  @teebax, you were great. We are so proud of you. Annie Sullivan for the win!  You was robbed on chimes  

Rules question:  the next day the one contestant was credited with $2,000 for the calcium answer. What if the other contestants had answered correctly?  How do they handle those conflicts. 

Security blanket:  had no idea that had anything to do with WWII. 

There were two occasions when they let someone give a “more specific” answer.  (The only one I remember now is Astro Turf.). Why do they allow it some times and not others?  Seems highly arbitrary. 

I was a little confused that the "artificial turf" answer wasn't accepted, as it started and ended with the right letters.

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I got NATO right off & Warsaw Pact was all I could think of so I went with it, but I really thought there was another name for the Soviet-aligned bloc. Guess not. 

Sara & Conor next to each other would have been awesome!

I know, it keeps surprising me when they start at the top. James didn't invent starting out of order, but he's certainly made it a strategy we're used to seeing daily, rather than occasionally.

42 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The only time I hear "The Big Peach" is on New Year's Eve, when Atlanta has The Big Peach Drop to compete with Times Square.  Lately, it seems like everybody's calling it "The A.T.L."  Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

I find most city nicknames stupid - but then I'm a grouch.

• Love 5
(edited)

When they revealed the A to F category, Mr.Trey said "arf" - that comes from watching Paw Patrol with grandson.  So, we really laughed when that actually was an answer. I also pre-called aperitif for that category.

My ts's were hedgehog, end run, and H. G. Wells.

My first thought for FJ was East Bloc and West Bloc but then NATO came to me and, at the last second, I got Warsaw Pact.

All the teachers have been very likeable this tournament.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I hung my head in shame when I didn't get the Warsaw Pact, being a military brat who was stationed on the edge of (then) East Germany and Czechoslovakia during my formative years. The mister and I were searching our brains for acronyms  - so we told ourselves.

I was a little confused that the "artificial turf" answer wasn't accepted, as it started and ended with the right letters.

I know, it keeps surprising me when they start at the top. James didn't invent starting out of order, but he's certainly made it a strategy we're used to seeing daily, rather than occasionally.

I find most city nicknames stupid - but then I'm a grouch.

Artificial was in the original clue. That should have been a ding like the previous day’s question where the contestant repeated part of the clue and then blurted out the correct response. He said italy instead of Austria. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Artificial was in the original clue. That should have been a ding like the previous day’s question where the contestant repeated part of the clue and then blurted out the correct response. He said italy instead of Austria. 

But, Italy is out and out wrong as Austria is a completely different country.  Astroturf, is a type of artificial turf so they needed the BMS.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister and I were searching our brains for acronyms  - so we told ourselves.

I did the same. I was sure there was a NATO-like acronym but couldn't think of one, so stayed with Warsaw Pact. I was right for the wrong reason, which happens far more than I would like!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/7/2019 at 11:52 PM, biakbiak said:

Hey @teebax we share a name (and pronunciation)! Glad you had a great time.

Count me in as another who preguessed Annie Sullivan.

@teebax You were a breath of fresh air. I find many of the contestants usually are annoying or unmemorable, but you were neither. I enjoyed you on the show.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:52 PM, biakbiak said:

Hey @teebax we share a name (and pronunciation)! Glad you had a great time.

Count me in as another who preguessed Annie Sullivan.

I figured out it was Annie Sullivan based on the time frame and the fact they talked about her vision.

Edited by Booklady1017
  • Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 4:11 AM, Lizzing said:

I was just playing around with the Jeopardy skill on my Kindle, and it lets you go back to the start of the week for the J6 questions.  The extra Iowa clue was about "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", which I had no idea was set in Iowa (probably because I've never seen it--LOL!).

I guessed the Gilbert Grape one from the plot. I didn't see it but knew what it was about, so I didn't know either it was set in Iowa.

On 5/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, 24k Kate said:

@teebax, unlurking to say you are awesome. Cool teacher, indeed! And, for Lloyd Bentsen's running mate, I said Ross Perot😫

I admit I thought he was his running mate too.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 8:13 AM, teebax said:

It had not. Jeopardy decided no longer to name our schools, and it was important to me that I mention mine. We're a small alternative public high school in a very large district, and very few people I meet even know we exist. Those who do know of it see it as a school for rejects who couldn't pass traditional school. In reality, it's way more complicated than that. Many of my students come from circumstances that could make your head spin. Teaching there is very challenging but also incredibly rewarding. 

By the way, the ear tug was for you guys. I mentioned this group in an interview last night following my party, but I think they edited it out. I thought about finger guns, but I can't pull that off without looking ridiculous.

I was wondering what the ear tug was about but after I came to this board, I figured out it may be a signal for the Jeopardy discussion board members. That  was nice. The school you work at sounds interesting and I bet you are really inspiring to your students.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:49 PM, saber5055 said:

From Wikipedia:

"Tubular bells (also known as chimes) are musical instruments in the percussion family. Their sound resembles that of church bells, carillon, or a bell tower; the original tubular bells were made to duplicate the sound of church bells within an ensemble."

I admit I never heard of tubular bells.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Y'know, security blanket briefly entered my mind, but I dismissed it quickly, and went with "hush-hush" for no reason whatsoever.  Boo, hiss.

I did, however, get cacao and cheat.  There may have been others, but I was distracted by Alex's pronunciation of Francois.  And also by the one woman's pronunciation of La Boheme. 

And apparently we've graduated from Women Authors to Women Olympians.  Ugh.

I was stumped on the security blanket one. I didn't get cacao but I did well on the other beans in the category.  I did fairly well with the anagrams. 

Y'know, security blanket briefly entered my mind, but I dismissed it quickly, and went with "hush-hush" for no reason whatsoever.  Boo, hiss.

I did, however, get cacao and cheat.  There may have been others, but I was distracted by Alex's pronunciation of Francois.  And also by the one woman's pronunciation of La Boheme. 

I was stumped on the security blanket one. I didn't get cacao but I did well on the other beans in the category.  I did fairly well with the anagrams. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, Katy M said:

I can't believe the teachers missed cheat.  I was yelling Custer at the TV.  And spell it on the last bean clue.  That was kind of weird only because the previous clue was also a speller.  If that had been the first clue or the first after they had hopped away, I would have understood that better.

I got security blanket after first saying good grief.  I knew that was wrong obviously, but the brain comes up with what the brain comes up with.  

I also said calcium, so I'd glad the judges gave credit for it.

Did much better tonight than last night.

I thought the Custer was easy and surprised it wasn't gotten. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, saber5055 said:

I, too, remember Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, although I never saw or used it/her.

If you have Pepto-Bismol in your medicine chest, you do indeed have bismuth in the house. Meanwhile, that was one TERRIBLE clue. WTH writers, this isn't SNL, can the jokes, please.

I got Custer. Don't remember any other TSs. FJ was a No Way Never. At least we got an asterisk for the contest. It's been a while, thanks to James AND @teebax!

I missed both, not paying attention. Was Francois "Fran-swah" or "Fran-koyz"? I've heard it both ways. And I say "La Bow-hem" but what do I know.

I don't recall anyone ever referring to it as Bismuth instead of Calcium, so that was a poor question. 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, saber5055 said:

I, too, remember Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, although I never saw or used it/her.

If you have Pepto-Bismol in your medicine chest, you do indeed have bismuth in the house. Meanwhile, that was one TERRIBLE clue. WTH writers, this isn't SNL, can the jokes, please.

I got Custer. Don't remember any other TSs. FJ was a No Way Never. At least we got an asterisk for the contest. It's been a while, thanks to James AND @teebax!

I missed both, not paying attention. Was Francois "Fran-swah" or "Fran-koyz"? I've heard it both ways. And I say "La Bow-hem" but what do I know.

I remember Mavis Beacon too.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:08 PM, Abstract said:

I finally got to watch tonight and join you on this thread. I got typing and almost cleaned up the opera/ballet category except I chickened out of answering the $2000 clue with "Russian ballet." Wonder if they would have taken that? But I KNOW the last name of those three sisters was a recent clue, and there was another clue which gave me major deja vu. I need to start studying the archive again instead of wasting my time combing YouTube for scraps of old episodes.

Opera/ballet would be a horrible category for me. I'm so weak on that. If I ever got on the show, I'd definitely need to study that more.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:33 PM, Bastet said:

That's what surprised me about her not only forgetting to spell it, but still not getting that was what she'd done wrong when Alex reacted and gave her the chance to correct herself (she squinted at the clue to see what she'd possibly misread, yet still didn't grasp the category), that they'd just returned to that category the clue before, so the spelling should have been fresh in her mind.

My other surprise was cacao as a TS; the clue instructed them not to make the spelling mistake, one contestant made it anyway, and the other two just stood there.  Cheat and typing as TS surprised me a little, but that was the big one.

Vicki had a couple of eye-raising wrong guesses, but I knew she was going to get retroactive credit for calcium; that was my answer based on ___ carbonate as an antacid, but it didn't fit the "clever" part of the clue, so I wasn't sure what they were going for. 

I'd have bet zero based on the FJ category, as I've never been a comics fan, but it turned out to be something I could guess (even though I have never actually read or watched anything Peanuts, it's so ubiquitous I've picked a lot of it up via cultural osmosis over the years, so somehow a kid with his blanket popped into my mind).

I couldn't believe that woman contestant still couldn't figure out she needed to spell it even when Alex gave her the chance to correct herself. BTW, being new here, what does TS mean?

22 hours ago, bythelake said:

I admit my soprano answer was a total guess. 

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Airport codes seem to stick as nicknames for a couple of cities, I'm not sure why those in particular. ATL and PDX for Portland are two I can think of. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The only time I hear "The Big Peach" is on New Year's Eve, when Atlanta has The Big Peach Drop to compete with Times Square.

I've never heard of Atlanta being The Big Peach either, but I got that answer since it's a joke that so many streets are named Peachtree. As for Crabtown, the only thought I had was it must be some place in Nevada where prostitution is legal.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Booklady1017 said:

BTW, being new here, what does TS mean?

Triple stumper - a clue none of the contestants answer correctly.

In the pinned Mod thread, there's a link to our forum glossary, a listing of some of the abbreviations and other "inside terms" used frequently here.

Welcome.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, 24k Kate said:

And, for Lloyd Bentsen's running mate, I said Ross Perot😫

Perot's running mate was retired Admiral James Stockdale.  A Naval Academy graduate, Stockdale flew attack aircraft during the early part of the Vietnam war. He was shot down and taken prisoner.  He was held for 7 1/2 years, during which time he was regularly tortured by the North Vietnamese, and was awarded the Medal of Honor following his release.   During the Vice Presidential debate with Al Gore and Dan Quayle, he began his opening remarks with "Who am I? Why am I here?"  Unfortunately, his performance didn't get much better than that, although he really hadn't been prepped for the debate beforehand, and the only image many have of him is as a doddering old man, certainly not in keeping with his true nature.

2 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Airport codes seem to stick as nicknames for a couple of cities, I'm not sure why those in particular. ATL and PDX for Portland are two I can think of. 

Charlotte is like that, CLT is often seen in place of the city name, whether it's airport related or not.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've never heard of Atlanta being The Big Peach either, but I got that answer since it's a joke that so many streets are named Peachtree.

And I've shot airplanes at Peachtree DeKalb airport, just outside of Atlanta.  Of course, if you really want to see the Big Peach, you need to go to Gaffney, South Carolina:

JM_2013_04_20_Peachoid_002-XL.jpg

JM_2013_04_20_Peachoid_001-XL.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Not exactly a spoiler but I will "hide" it just in case...Well, this isn't a spoiler anymore...really wasn't anyway! For some unknown reason our station reran yesterdays show...So no Jeopardy for me today...hope they get it right on Monday! (Can't figure out how to remove spoiler but it is empty now.....

Spoiler
Edited by suebee12

The pictures remind me of a water tower outside Chicago. For years I would pass by it en route to elsewhere and think "there's the brain" until one day I realized that the tower was in ROSEmont.

14 minutes ago, ABay said:

The pictures remind me of a water tower outside Chicago. For years I would pass by it en route to elsewhere and think "there's the brain" until one day I realized that the tower was in ROSEmont.

I've been to Rosemont often but have never seen the water tower. So I looked it up. It is indeed very brain-like.

rosemont.jpg.e278c7139ea48a2ebf91920f9675b922.jpg

41 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

the Gaffney butt

LOL!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GussieK said:

The rest of the clue said something along the lines that it was first used in Houston, so I guessed Astro turf because of the Houston Astros.

Not knowing many state/city nicknames helped me in that category, I think, because there was no, "wait, I think of [City] as [Nickname]" second-guessing going on.  Almonds?  Primarily grown in CA, so it's Sacramento.  Crabs?  The best come from Maryland, so Annapolis.  Peach?  Georgia Peach, so Atlanta.  The only ones I actually knew as nicknames were Mile High (and that I learned originally by watching football - the Broncos play in Mile High Stadium) and the birthplace of civil rights.