Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

How would Alex know if James has fans? Is he hosting from the future?

It isn't his first rodeo. He's seen it happen a time or two before.

I've always thought it understood that "in my opinion" is the unstated subtext of all our posts. In some of the touchier forums, I do type it out. This hasn't felt like that kind of forum to me.  Whatever the topic, books, actors, and Jeopardy contestants, mileage varies.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 21
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Some people will definitely be spoiled because the show airs at different times all over the country and it’s not like a game or specific event that you can just avoid the news because it could happen whenever.

Jeopardy! itself (or its social media presence, at least), might spoil it as well.  On the day that James first broke the one-day total record, there was a promo on Facebook all day long saying something like, "Tonight, a major Jeopardy! record will fall!"  They didn't say specifically what record it was, but it didn't take much to figure it out.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when James loses, the show's Facebook feed has a promo about "The unimaginable happening" or something like that.  The promo department wants people to be watching when the major events happen, so they often seem to give these broad hints that may not technically be spoilers, but also don't really hide anything if you think about them for more than a second or two.

BTW, the contestant who beat Ken Jennings was named Nancy Zerg. 

• Love 5

They have sometimes done categories in which you really need to start at the top (lowest value) for the clues to make sense.  Isn't it time for more like that?

• Love 7

I don't see how James doesn't fit into the category of ordinary people eager to test their knowledge. As far as I know, he's not a genetically engineered Jeopardy machine. He's good, very good, and it might look hopeless for the other contestants, but something will happen and he'll be beaten. Maybe it'll take long enough that the person who will beat him is taking his advice right now, reading voraciously through the children's section of their library to cram in as much info as possible, who knows.

• Love 9

I admire James's buzzer skill and knowledge base, but I miss competitive games. There's no suspense about who will win, just suspense over how much money James will win this time.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, Driad said:

They have sometimes done categories in which you really need to start at the top (lowest value) for the clues to make sense.  Isn't it time for more like that?

Can you give a couple of examples? I've seen this mentioned a handful of times since James started but I have no recollection of seeing that in the past. Sure they do jokes with the category names side-by-side on the board, but I can't remember any where going top to bottom with the actual clues mattered significantly.

15 hours ago, SeanC said:

Wayne gave it a good fight there, and off the top of my head I can't think of a higher second-place total during James' run.

I wish he would have tried hunting for the daily doubles instead of finishing up categories. I want to see someone like Wayne use James' strategy. I don't think anyone has a chance otherwise.

15 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

My dream is to someday be on Jeopardy for so long, and win so much money, that people say they're sick of looking at me. 

Heck, I've accomplished that without being on Jeopardy or winning any money.

It's a given that people are here to share their opinions. It would get redundant to have to read that over and over from everyone. It would be like reading a sentence like this: “The remaining subclauses of this clause 15 are to be read subject to this proviso and to the fundamental matters agreed in clauses 2-5 above.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Can you give a couple of examples? I've seen this mentioned a handful of times since James started but I have no recollection of seeing that in the past. Sure they do jokes with the category names side-by-side on the board, but I can't remember any where going top to bottom with the actual clues mattered significantly.

See answer below.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1
On 1/31/2019 at 7:50 PM, illdoc said:

I believe in that one category (miscellaneous?) that if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong). Apparently, the writers were having fun, but probably no one "got it". I got FJ, only because I figure that those numbers indicated that the singer had a lot of hits and I remembered that they always say "Mariah Carey has surpassed so-and-so with #1 hits. MC has 20 (whatever) hits." etc. and I don't think I could tell you even one (except I think there's some Christmas song she does). 

Here's an example from back in January.

1 hour ago, Etta Place said:

I don't see how James doesn't fit into the category of ordinary people eager to test their knowledge. As far as I know, he's not a genetically engineered Jeopardy machine. 

I was surprised to read an interview with/about James recently that said he took the test 13 times (IIRC), and had to interview twice. To me that supports the idea that he is a regular-smart guy who had to work to build this knowledge. All to get on the show to honor his Grandma! I like him.

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

There was one I remember where the responses contained numbers, and they were in numerical order 1-5 going down the board. Because they started at the bottom (and perhaps jumped around?) they didn't realize it. It was achievable without knowing, but the pattern would have made answering a slam dunk if they'd started at the top.

Most of the time, my take is it's simply easier to figure out the gimmicky ones when you start at the top. Sometimes the title alone makes it impossible to figure out what the category will mean, so starting with the hardest one is risky. Or the wordplay ones, it helps to warm up with easier ones.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 4

I'm pretty sure I can remember a category or two in the past where Alex told them they had to pick in order from top to bottom. Can anyone confirm with specifics?

8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Some people will definitely be spoiled because the show airs at different times all over the country and it’s not like a game or specific event that you can just avoid the news because it could happen whenever.

Jeopardy airs at 9:30 a.m. in a portion of Alabama (Selma). So says Andy of TheJeopardyFan, his site posts the results after it airs there.

1 hour ago, tvaddict44 said:

I'm thinking of our Teabax also.  How long will the wait be to  film those episodes?  

With apologies to @TEEBAX (!) the Teachers Tournament has been taped/filmed and will air beginning May 8. She has posted in the Experiences thread if you want more info.

42 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I wish he would have tried hunting for the daily doubles instead of finishing up categories. I want to see someone like Wayne use James' strategy. I don't think anyone has a chance otherwise.

Agree. It astounds me that competing players can't grasp what James is doing, and select a $200 clue on a full board when they finally get to win the buzz in and answer something. Those people deserve to lose to James.

44 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Heck, I've accomplished that without being on Jeopardy or winning any money.

This made me LOL. Thanks. I guess I fall into that category too, even from other posters on this thread!

1 hour ago, ABay said:

There's no suspense about who will win, just suspense over how much money James will win this time.

I suggest to everyone who feels this way, play the game against yourself. Get a piece of paper, draw two columns, head one "I Know This" and the other "I Don't Know This." Put a check mark in the appropriate column after the clue is read and before the answer is given. See if you can at least beat yourself if you cannot beat James. I've come close but no cigar for me yet. Maybe today. Or, like Scarlet said, "Tomorrow is another day." Or something like that.

2 hours ago, Driad said:

I hate those trick categories. It's my thinking that if I know a subject, I know it whether it's a 200 or 2000 clue, I don't need to start from "easy" to "more difficult." It's subjective. If someone is a GoT watcher, that person should know all five clues/answers, no sweat.

50 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

It's a given that people are here to share their opinions. It would get redundant to have to read that over and over from everyone. It would be like reading a sentence like this: “The remaining subclauses of this clause 15 are to be read subject to this proviso and to the fundamental matters agreed in clauses 2-5 above.”

I'm adding that clause to all of my posts now, just so ya'll know these are my opinions. Well, subject to this proviso anyhow.

• LOL 2

I am enjoying James' run, but I can understand that not everyone feels the same way.

IIRC, during Ken Jennings' run, the games were not such massive runaways, and there were more than a few close calls. That made it more exciting to watch.

James' run is much like a sports dynasty.  It's great for the fans of the team, but for everyone else, seeing the Patriots winning ANOTHER Superbowl is just boring.  And I say this as someone who grew up in Montreal, watching the Canadiens win Cup after Cup in the 70's. I never got tired of seeing them win, but when the Islanders won four in a row in the early 80's I lost interest quickly.

You can admire the skill it takes to accomplish such a feat and find it tedious at the same time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Here's an example from back in January.

if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong).

Ah so basically, we're possibly missing out on jokes (which might still not be conspicuous if people went top to bottom but didn't stay in the one category), but it's not like...if you didn't answer the  $400 you're missing crucial context for the $800. Although I guess maybe if you picked up on the joke/pattern you might be better able to guess a higher-value clue without actually knowing it?

1 hour ago, snarktini said:

Most of the time, my take is it's simply easier to figure out the gimmicky ones when you start at the top. Sometimes the title alone makes it impossible to figure out what the category will mean, so starting with the hardest one is risky. Or the wordplay ones, it helps to warm up with easier ones.

Yeah if I were playing, the categories I'd start from the top are definitely the ones where I'm not quite sure what they're going for, so I want the easy example first to get a sense of it. Or I guess if the only categories left were things I were uncomfortable with, I'd probably also go from the top because I might have a chance at the easy ones.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think Alex only has to look at the other two contestants each night, see the expressions on their faces as James races around the board while they just  stand there, and realize it's a one man game now and could be forever. This isn't good for Jeopardy.

I'm pretty sure the exact opposite is true. Jeopardy hasn't had publicity like this in decades. Yesterday the Atlantic had two articles about James, and I've seen others all over the news and internet. Plus, people like me who were only occasional Jeopardy watchers, are now tuning in on a daily basis. Do you actually think the show wants all this to stop because some long time viewers don't like a contestant?

Those other two contestants have the same chance James has to win the game. If their knowledge isn't as broad or their skills with the buzzer less than his, how is that James' fault? I find it bizarre that people want the less skilled players to win just because they've taken a personal dislike to the current champion.

Edited by SpiritSong
  • Love 17

Part of the enjoyment of watching a show like Jeopardy is playing along with the contestants. I'm pretty sure a lot of viewers get a kick out of yelling out the right question before the contestants do. Now, viewers watch just one player plow through almost every "answer", instantly giving the correct question. IMO, that's no fun. So now I tune in for FJ to see if I know the answer. And that's Jeopardy for me during the reign of James.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Time will tell.  I seem to remember that when Ken Jennings was finally defeated the news did leak out the morning of the day the episode aired.

A couple days ago, on another board I read, where people occasionally talk about Jeopardy, someone posted something like "ya know, Jeopardy airs at 9:30 in Arizona (or wherever) so don't Google if you don't want to be spoiled", and I thought - whoah, are they trying to tell us something?  No, it turned out, but it did lead me to have "the talk" with my family.  "I'm not seeking out spoilers, but if I do hear something, would you like to know or not know?"  Turns out the consensus was "know".  I think for me it would be "not know" but I'm not sure.

18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Part of the enjoyment of watching a show like Jeopardy is playing along with the contestants. I'm pretty sure a lot of viewers get a kick out of yelling out the right question before the contestants do. Now, viewers watch just one player plow through almost every "answer", instantly giving the correct question. IMO, that's no fun. So now I tune in for FJ to see if I know the answer. And that's Jeopardy for me during the reign of James.

I don't understand how one player instantly giving the correct question stops viewers from playing along at home. The contestants have to wait until Alex reads the entire answer before they can buzz in. Playing at home, I don't have to do that. I can shout out the answer if I know it right away. And if any of the contestants also knows the answer it doesn't change my satisfaction at having gotten it right. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It's usually these weird word ones where you need to combine things. An example was  Forget me Knots Landing.  I've seen it happen that they don't get it at all when they start at the bottom because you are supposed to create a new phrase from different parts of speech., and it's not clear at first what you are supposed to do. I will look at the archives for a better example.

30 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I don't understand how one player instantly giving the correct question stops viewers from playing along at home. The contestants have to wait until Alex reads the entire answer before they can buzz in. Playing at home, I don't have to do that. I can shout out the answer if I know it right away. And if any of the contestants also knows the answer it doesn't change my satisfaction at having gotten it right. 

Being so swift with the correct questions, you should apply to Jeopardy. Maybe you'll be the one to beat James.

Edited by annzeepark914

Although I guess maybe if you picked up on the joke/pattern you might be better able to guess a higher-value clue without actually knowing it?

Yes, I've seen categories like that numerous times, where it would help to go in order, because the clues and/or the answers form a pattern that provides an additional way of getting the next one right - which is what Alex has cited as his annoyance with board jumping - but I don't think they've ever done a category where you needed to go in order because the later clues only made sense in the context of the earlier ones; if they have, someone with a better memory will let us know.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Being so swift with the correct questions, you should apply to Jeopardy. Maybe you'll he the one to beat James.

Ha! I'm well read but I don't have anywhere near his breadth of knowledge. And there are certain categories like Opera where I would have no clue whatsoever. I also don't have the stomach for risk he does, but I do enjoy watching his bold playing.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

"ya know, Jeopardy airs at 9:30 in Arizona (or wherever)

Alabama. Selma market. And that's 9:30 a.m.

50 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

"I'm not seeking out spoilers, but if I do hear something, would you like to know or not know?"  Turns out the consensus was "know".  I think for me it would be "not know" but I'm not sure. 

I want to know. Which is why I find the FJ and answer (under the guise of updating The Contest file) and who won plus other details about the game as soon as Andy posts it on TJF site. As another poster said a few pages back, that allows me to go about my day stress free. YMMV of course.

2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Being so swift with the correct questions, you should apply to Jeopardy. Maybe you'll he the one to beat James.

As I play each game against myself, I find James answers so quickly that many times he's answered before I've even processed the clue. Then he's on to the next clue while I'm still thinking, "Hey, I knew that one," but I give myself a check in the DO NOT KNOW column because of being too slow.

I really don't know why no one else is playing the game against themselves. Unless it's too depressing. Which, I guess, it is.

Also, it's a bit more difficult than "you should apply to Jeopardy" to get on Jeopardy. As have many others here, I've taken the online test multiple times and haven't been invited to LA yet. Or even been acknowledged. I bow to our PTV posters who have appeared on the show, because "I am not worthy." --TM Garth.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Alabama. Selma market. And that's 9:30 a.m.

I want to know. Which is why I find the FJ and answer (under the guise of updating The Contest file) and who won plus other details about the game as soon as Andy posts it on TJF site. As another poster said a few pages back, that allows me to go about my day stress free. YMMV of course.

As I play each game against myself, I find James answers so quickly that many times he's answered before I've even processed the clue. Then he's on to the next clue while I'm still thinking, "Hey, I knew that one," but I give myself a check in the DO NOT KNOW column because of being too slow.

I really don't know why no one else is playing the game against themselves. Unless it's too depressing. Which, I guess, it is.

Also, it's a bit more difficult than "you should apply to Jeopardy" to get on Jeopardy. As have many others here, I've taken the online test multiple times and haven't been invited to LA yet. Or even been acknowledged. I bow to our PTV posters who have appeared on the show, because "I am not worthy." --TM Garth.

We play against each other, but we don't really keep track of the score. Tried it with an app once and it was painful. We just give each other kudos, and I am secure in the knowledge that I am better.😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We play against each other, but we don't really keep track of the score. Tried it with an app once and it was painful. We just give each other kudos, and I am secure in the knowledge that I am better.😉

Same 😉

• Love 3

Some may find it boring, but who here (if they had James’s knowledge and buzzer skills) would slow down or bet less to make the games more competitive? 

Can’t blame someone for going all in. He’s also left money on the table to make his birthdate bets. Technically he could have bet more a few times. 

• Love 6

I'd say Nicholas Sparks is one author I think is a terrible writer, yet has made millions from his books. I don't get it. 

That's exactly who I thought of as I was responding to that poster about E.L. James! I happen to think Sparks' books are shite, and yet people seem to love them and he has raked in the cash.  So who am I to judge that he is not worthy of his success?  Millions of readers would apparently beg to differ.

And as far as I'm concerned, if a poster states something as fact, when it's really just that poster's opinion--for example, E.L. James has not earned her success--I feel totally fine calling the poster out on it.  

6 minutes ago, adhoc said:

And as far as I'm concerned, if a poster states something as fact, when it's really just that poster's opinion--for example, E.L. James has not earned her success--I feel totally fine calling the poster out on it.  

That seems to be a tedious waste of time, because it's self-evident that every single thing posted--no matter how strongly worded, or how seemingly outrageous the claim--is  a poster's opinion. We're busy people, and in my opinion we should all just dispense with the couching niceties and get on with the meat.

Edited by crashdown
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

True. By now, if I haven't heard anything by the time I sit down at seven, I'm figuring James won.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, crashdown said:

That seems to be a tedious waste of time, because it's self-evident that every single thing posted--no matter how strongly worded, or how seemingly outrageous the claim--is  a poster's opinion. We're busy people, and in my opinion we should all just dispense with the couching niceties and get on with the meat.

Well, I guess I'll just keep tediously wasting my time, then. And you know what? Glad to do it. 

BTW, points to you for saying "That seems to be a tedious waste of time." That's what I'm talking about.

Edited by adhoc
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It would be fun playing Shout It Out Jeopardy with someone. But watching alone, the best I can do is play against myself, and I constantly am getting my butt kicked by me. I guess I should divide further, such as Nice Me and Evil Me.

Evil Me rules, Nice Me drools. But most of you guys knew that already.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It would be fun playing Shout It Out Jeopardy with someone. But watching alone, the best I can do is play against myself, and I constantly am getting my butt kicked by me. I guess I should divide further, such as Nice Me and Evil Me.

Evil Me rules, Nice Me drools. But most of you guys knew that already.

You could choose to be uber-positive about it and say that YOU (pick a me) always WIN. Always.

I'm enjoying my personal daily buzzsaw battle with James. He knows nothing about it, which makes it better. Whenever I beat him to the buzzer (my ball point pen) and shout out the question, beating him by a nanosecond, I wish I had peacock feathers to plume... or whatever it is that peacocks do.

When I get it right and he gets it wrong (or doesn't answer), I hold my head so it doesn't explode. LOL. You probably think I'm exaggerating. 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

As fast as James is and they still couldn’t clear the board in the second round. I blame the “OK, (full name of category) for (dollar amount), please?” girl.

I’m now 0/4 in FJ this week. 

• Love 10

The Bay State lake with the long name.

For FJ, I first thought of americium but I know it's a transuranium element, atomic number way more than 63, so I tried to think of another geographic name and got europium just in time.

• Love 2

And, despite being a scientist-type person, and despite recently proctoring an exam in a room with a periodic table of the elements on the wall (and testing myself on the elements while scanning the class for cheaters), I completely whiffed FJ. 

I did, however, do fairly well in the self-test of the periodic table.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And, despite being a scientist-type person, and despite recently proctoring an exam in a room with a periodic table of the elements on the wall (and testing myself on the elements while scanning the class for cheaters), I completely whiffed FJ. 

Holy cr*p, @Browncoat!

When I saw the category of The Elements, I was hoping for the subject to be rain, or another one of THOSE kinds of elements. But NO. So I came up with the answer of (remember, this is in my head so it's phonetic) ... EUR-ranium. You know, spelled like Europe. Then I spelled it in my head and was like, oh, duh. I guess that's wrong. I've never even heard of the right OR the wrong answers.

I ended up losing today by 13 points to my Evil Self. *sigh* I wish Evil Self would get voted off the island or something. I feel about her like some of you do about James.

Speaking of, I did get the TS of plebian, and the TS of Double Indemnity. That was a great film noir, with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

I got a laugh out of Trebek correcting James' pronunciation of "Jatte" after his answer of Serat's A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. Welcome to Jeopardy, Mr. Holzhauer!

Side note: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte is at the Chicago Art Museum. It takes up an entire wall, floor to ceiling almost, and is on a wall between two doors so it's the only painting there. There are benches in front of it and always people sitting there plus standing to look at it. I don't care for it myself. But that's just MY OPINION!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, opus said:

If we see a run of ballet related categories we’ll know they’re actively trying to get rid of James.

People said the same thing when booze-related categories turned up during Ken Jennings' run, since as a Mormon he doesn't drink,

Tonight I knew plebeian and Double Indemnity. I made a wild guess on Europium, since most other places were mentioned in the clue.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Holy cr*p, @Browncoat!

When I saw the category of The Elements, I was hoping for the subject to be rain, or another one of THOSE kinds of elements. But NO. So I came up with the answer of (remember, this is in my head so it's phonetic) ... EUR-ranium. You know, spelled like Europe. Then I spelled it in my head and was like, oh, duh. I guess that's wrong. I've never even heard of the right OR the wrong answers.

I ended up losing today by 13 points to my Evil Self. *sigh* I wish Evil Self would get voted off the island or something. I feel about her like some of you do about James.

Speaking of, I did get the TS of plebian, and the TS of Double Indemnity. That was a great film noir, with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

I got a laugh out of Trebek correcting James' pronunciation of "Jatte" after his answer of Serat's A Sunday on La Grande Jatte. Welcome to Jeopardy, Mr. Holzhauer!

Side note: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte is at the Chicago Art Museum. It takes up an entire wall, floor to ceiling almost, and is on a wall between two doors so it's the only painting there. There are benches in front of it and always people sitting there plus standing to look at it. I don't care for it myself. But that's just MY OPINION!

Double Indemnity is one of my favorite movies and I was so mad that no one got that!  I loved Barbara Stanwyck and still cry every time I see Stella Dallas 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

People said the same thing when booze-related categories turned up during Ken Jennings' run, since as a Mormon he doesn't drink,

The difference being, Jennings himself never said booze-related categories were/would be his downfall. I believe James himself singled out Ballet.

20 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Time will tell.  I seem to remember that when Ken Jennings was finally defeated the news did leak out the morning of the day the episode aired.

It leaked out the moment the show taped. We had enough advance notice of when the show would air that we had a get together in DC of the local Kenvictims to watch the episode together. 

• Love 8

I've been vacillating all this time as to whether or not watching James catapult through Jeopardy is thrilling or deadly dull. It's kind of enjoyable to have one man be a solo Murderers' Row. He has ferreted out the means to conquer the entire concept of a show which has been mainly the same for decades. 

Tonight, though, I just felt tired of it. There is no longer a panel of players. We all have seen this now throughout James' time so far, but some switch flipped in me during this game, and I'm ready for him to go.

Two clues left on the board! As someone above said, I too blame Miss "ok, I'll take so-and-so for such-and-such, please,"  but James also couldn't answer a DD right away, although he got it right at the last second. (Unleaded fuel). That's a first, I think?

• Love 8

My new routine is to check Reddit every morning for spoilers, along with my stock ticker. 

It's now become part of my regular phone conversations with the Traveling Mr. Abstract. With no prompting tonight, he asked, "So how's our guy doing on Jeopardy? Still winning?" 

When James finally loses, I'm going to feel like a spoiled kid on Christmas morning who's sad because there are no presents left to open. 

On the other hand, I wonder if this is officially the end of the amateur Jeopardy player. Part of the appeal of Jeopardy has been the idea that any reasonably smart person could at least aspire to winning one day. Now that's not enough. Now you have to combine a lifetime of active studying with the steel nerves of a professional gambler, and oh yeah take a year off work to prep full-time for the show.

I'm reminded of how the Olympics transitioned from being for true amateurs to full-time athletes with corporate sponsorships.

• Love 2