Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Are we allowed to do guesses on here about how many games he will last and how much money he will make?

I am going to say 48 episodes and $3.5 million.  I think he beats Ken's regular episode money winnings but not the number of games. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Are we allowed to do guesses on here about how many games he will last and how much money he will make?

I am going to say 48 episodes and $3.5 million.  I think he beats Ken's regular episode money winnings but not the number of games. 

If we set up a pool, maybe James will want to get in on the action😁

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I am quite shocked at all the judgement on James

Honestly! Where is that?  Where are the people patting themselves on the back for their profession?

All I've seen is page after page of people defending James as though he had been accused of something vile.  I only saw one person say she wished he was using his giant brain for something other than gambling and while I don't really care one way or another what he does,  I think all these examples of doctors and teachers doing bad things, don't exactly negate the charge.  Her point  (and I don't remember exactly who originally said it) was that for all the chances to be bad teachers, flawed artists, and inept researchers, at least there is some slight chance of contributing to others with those jobs while gambling pretty much only benefits the gambler.  So be it, that is James's choice, but it's also someone else's  right to be unimpressed with that choice. 

You're quite shocked at the judgement on James? I am quite shocked at the holier than thou elect who feel free to call other people judgemental for stating a rather mild and altruistic "wish." James isn't reading this board, she is.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Honestly! Where is that?  Where are the people patting themselves on the back for their profession?

Honestly there were quite a few back patters. It’s good though, everyone should be proud of that they do. I stand by everything I said.  No one is better than anyone just because of their profession. I used to be a nurse. That doesn’t make me better than a pro gambler, although I probably changed a lot more diapers. My humble opinion. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

James isn't reading this board, she is.

Don't be so quick to assume that he is not. Several former contestants post here, even more read here and do not post. I agree with @mostlylurking that no one is better than anyone else based on a profession. Some people, however, are better than others based on the kindness in their hearts. Those are the people I want in my life, whether they are sports gamblers or cancer-curing microbiologists or grocery-store baggers.

And some people here are better Jeopardy players than others. And that's a fact, jack.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

Honestly there were quite a few back patters. It’s good though, everyone should be proud of that they do. I stand by everything I said.  No one is better than anyone just because of their profession. I used to be a nurse. That doesn’t make me better than a pro gambler, although I probably changed a lot more diapers. My humble opinion. 

I didn't see the back patters but lots of people saying 'I'm a blank and so I guess I'm not contributing," or whatever, implying some sort of criticism that never happened.

I guess I don't think people are their professions, so it wouldn't occur to me to think  any person was better than someone else because of their profession.  On the other hand I am not ashamed to say that I admire the profession of fireman more than I admire the profession of drug dealer, although the drug dealer might actually have a bigger heart and be a kinder person then the fireman. 

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, JudyObscure said:

I admire the profession of fireman more than I admire the profession of drug dealer

I didn't see an IRS business code for "Drug Dealer" when I filed my tax return last week, but I'll keep an eye out for it next year. Personally, I don't give a care what profession anyone has, and because of that, I do not "admire" one more than another. There are individual people, however, whom I greatly admire. Some post here!

• Love 1

James got his wish!  My daughter just texted me from the Las Vegas-San Jose playoff game, and she said James cranked the siren before the puck drop in the first period. 😄

As Alex would say, good for you, James!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
53 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I guess you're just better than me then.

Or not. It doesn't matter either way. /apathy/

18 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Thanks! I needed that drink!

ETA: Congrats James. Very cool. Thanks for letting us know, 3.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
15 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

James got his wish!  My daughter just texted me from the Las Vegas-San Jose playoff game, and she said James cranked the siren before the puck drop in the first period. 😄

I wonder if they showed him on TV. I have the game on, but didn’t put it on till a few seconds  after puck drop.

Edited by opus
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, opus said:

I wonder if they showed him on TV. I have the game on, but didn’t put it on till puck drop.

I tuned in at the anthem.  Did not see James.  I think they crank the siren before the anthem though.  My daughter said he looked a bit uncomfortable.  

• Love 1

Looking ahead, if you watch in NYC on Ch. 7, no Jeopardy on Friday due to NFL draft coverage. I don't see an alternate time, although they have chosen to broadcast the also missed Wheel Of Fortune early Sat. morning at 2:35 am., so maybe Jep will pop up at 2:05am, although my guide still shows Who Wants To Be a Millionaire.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, opus said:

Looking ahead, if you watch in NYC on Ch. 7, no Jeopardy on Friday due to NFL draft coverage. I don't see an alternate time, although they have chosen to broadcast the also missed Wheel Of Fortune early Sat. morning at 2:35 am., so maybe Jep will pop up at 2:05am, although my guide still shows Who Wants To Be a Millionaire.

Thanks!  I just relayed this info to a friend in NYC and I think I made him cry. 

• LOL 1
On 4/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, opus said:
On 4/17/2019 at 10:00 PM, Abstract said:

I just realized that I'm starting to get Jeopardy anxiety now, wondering each episode if this is the one where James loses.

I just hope that in the internet age, when it happens (it'll happen, right?), I don't know ahead of the airing.

I remember being spoiled about Ken Jenning's loss. I imagine it will happen here too. 

25 minutes ago, shlbycindyk said:

Thanks!  I just relayed this info to a friend in NYC and I think I made him cry. 

I'm just worried it'll be "the day".  Isn't there a theory that long running champs lose on a Friday?

• Love 1

Can James break $1 million tomorrow?

When you compare his rate of accumulation to Ken Jennings', it's just insane.  He's got 2/5 of Ken's winnings in about a seventh of the time.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, opus said:

I'm just worried it'll be "the day".  Isn't there a theory that long running champs lose on a Friday?

You just hush yore mouth (TM Shaft) with that jinx talk. La la la, I can't hear you.

• Love 2

I had no clue for FJ either but did get Rocky Mt High, Ashram, and Global Village. 

Wow. Imagine being the Queen Mum and watching the rehearsals for your own funeral. Creepy, but she maintained control to the end. I wonder what the horse did or didn’t do that made her replace him. 

Saber, I leave tomorrow so expect your pralines in about a week. I’ll have one for you in the store. You understand...quality control. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Elgin never occurred to me for FJ, but I did get the TS of Rocky Mountain High. 

I know of Elgin, Illinois, Elgin watches and the Elgin marbles, but did not know there was some dude named Lord Elgin.

I did terrible in my contest against myself tonight, my score was so pitiful I can't even post it, "I am not worthy" (TM Garth) of being allowed to post here. I attribute it to my onset of something resembling pneumonia. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I didn't even get Rocky Mountain High, and John Denver was (and still is, RIP) my long-time crush. So I know I'm sick.

Safe travels @Mindthinkr. "Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wow. Imagine being the Queen Mum and watching the rehearsals for your own funeral. Creepy, but she maintained control to the end. I wonder what the horse did or didn’t do that made her replace him. 

Well, watching it is decidedly more fun than being in it. And yes, we need to find out what that horse did/did not do.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, opus said:

Philly/South Jersey peeps (6abc): My DVR has Friday's show listed for 1:37 am, making it Saturday.

#FlyEaglesFly

I did not get FJ.

I can't stand James.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 1

I got FJ easily.  Lord Elgin took the Elgin marbles from Greece early in the 19th century, shortly before the Greek War of Independence that Lord Byron fought in.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3

So James had zero advantage in the first round  (since all he could bet on the DD was the $1000 that his clue was worth anyway), and he still ended up with about 4x what the other contestants had by the end of the round.

I wonder if they’re going to start putting more DDs in the $1000 clues to foil James’ strategy.

The woman on the right was so timid when she answered!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Well, watching it is decidedly more fun than being in it. And yes, we need to find out what that horse did/did not do.

From The Scotsman:

She would watch videos of rehearsals and is said to have asked for a horse to be replaced after it shied up as the cortege went past the statue of her late husband, King George VI, in the Mall.

Another huge runaway for James--ho hum. I did get Rocky Mountain High and Kaspar Hauser. FJ was an instaget. Trying to get the Parthenon Marbles (we refuse to call them the Elgin Marbles since Elgin didn't create them) back has been a Greek cause for years.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, SHD said:

The woman on the right was so timid when she answered!

Oh, that was so irritating. She FINALLY gets a pick a clue and, on a board that is 95-percent full, she goes to the $200 clue? TWICE? This made me wonder if people playing now against James know his strategy. We do at home, but players are sequestered before their games. Maybe they think they are going into a normal "old style" top-to-bottom game. That would explain Rebecca going for the smallest clue values (twice!), but still, she couldn't see James raking in the big-time cash from the bottom of the board?

16 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

She would watch videos of rehearsals and is said to have asked for a horse to be replaced after it shied up as the cortege went past the statue of her late husband, King George VI, in the Mall.

Thanks, @GreekGeek. Actually, this made me laugh. Horses can be pretty smart.

• Love 3

$72,518/game.  Incredible.

I'm going to go 42 games (because 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe, and everything) and $3,141,592 total winnings (because that would be one large slice of pi).  He loses the 43rd game after missing a critical DD (Alex:  I'm sorry, the card says "Moops").

• LOL 8
  • Love 8

Mindthinkr - enjoy NOLA- I had such a great time there last month.  

I agree with Abstract- getting a TS is sweeter in the James era but when no one rang in on Rocky Mountain High, I started second guessing myself.  Now I just feel old if it was before their time. 😂

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I'm going to go 42 games (because 42 is the answer to Life, the Universe, and everything)

And when he leaves after his 42nd game, James will say, "Good bye, and thanks for all the fish."

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, that was so irritating. She FINALLY gets a pick a clue and, on a board that is 95-percent full, she goes to the $200 clue? TWICE? This made me wonder if people playing now against James know his strategy. We do at home, but players are sequestered before their games. Maybe they think they are going into a normal "old style" top-to-bottom game. That would explain Rebecca going for the smallest clue values (twice!), but still, she couldn't see James raking in the big-time cash from the bottom of the board?

Thanks, @GreekGeek. Actually, this made me laugh. Horses can be pretty smart.

I thought the horse story was funny also.

Maybe things have changed, but when I was there, we were allowed to watch the other games during the tapings. So there was no excuse to be unaware of James's strategy.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Maybe things have changed, but when I was there, we were allowed to watch the other games during the tapings. So there was no excuse to be unaware of James's strategy. 

When I was there (a very long time ago), contestants sat together in the audience and were called on stage when it was their turn. I guess I was thinking of the Teachers Tournament, as @teebax said they were kept in the green room until their time to play. But that's a tournament, so yeah, I can see them not wanting to know what scores others players get.

That makes Rebecca's $200 clue choices even more senseless. If one is going to lose against James, at least step on the gas when you drive the car off the cliff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I wonder if they’re going to start putting more DDs in the $1000 clues to foil James’ strategy.

That would be illegal. This is a FCC regulated game show. You can't do anything to skew a game in favor or against any player.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Elgin never occurred to me for FJ, but I did get the TS of Rocky Mountain High. 

I said "Sunshine on My Shoulders," though I figured that was wrong.

When the FJ clue was revealed I was all, "Oh shoot. It's that guy who took the Elgin Marbles, but who knows what his name is. Oh wait..."  So, yes, I got FJ. 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

So James is still here.  I hope he cracks 1m.  Maybe it is me, but he seems a little tired?  I would like to see him continue, but I am already tired of the Ken Jennings talk...he is his own person and this is a different type of play.  

In my opinion the woman on the end looked defeated before she started. I wondered if they are aware of how many games/money the champ had before they come out, or do they hear that for the first time when they introduce him?  Maybe she was just nervous to tape.  I have been impressing myself for the past week with the number of clues that I have gotten correct. 

Tonight James wrote his name with a stylized "M" that looked like the Vegas Golden Knights logo. Admittedly, I have hockey on the brain these days, but I thought it was kind of cool.  

I got global village and Rocky Mountain High.  

• Love 3

I got Elgin for (all the?) marbles.  I have seen them in the British Museum; very impressive.  But there is ongoing talk/controversy over returning them, what would have happened to them had Elgin not saved/preserved them, etc.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I got Elgin for (all the?) marbles.  I have seen them in the British Museum; very impressive.  But there is ongoing talk/controversy over returning them, what would have happened to them had Elgin not saved/preserved them, etc.

Even at the time what he did was controversial. It was an IG because I am forever having this argument with my friend who is Indian but a supporter of British colonialism.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

They still allow the contestants to sit in the audience to watch the other games.  But, remember, this was a Monday game, the first game to be filmed on this day.  James' opponents will not have seen him play yet and will know nothing about his strategy.  The opponents later in the week will have a better idea of how to play against James.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Check this out, gang. A Go Fund Me page!

Cute.

But if it starts getting donations, the money should be given to a pancreatic cancer research foundation.

• Love 13

I got ashram and Elgin, although being a lifelong Chicago suburban, I pronounced it with a soft g, like the liquor, to go with the town name. I had to think for a few seconds, but got it with time to spare.

• Love 1

La la la, I can't hear you.

Neither can I-I-I . . .

So <g>, I rarely detest a Jeptestant. However, how many are surprised that I bristled at Rebecca's "funny" (*ahem*) story about how she and her pals WRITE IN BOOK MARGINS? Even worse, they make fun of the book. Haha. NOT!

It reminded me of when an editor turned down my generational saga (circa 1983-1923, with an emphasis on Colorado's silent film industry) with the usual "I wasn't enthusiastic enough, maybe another editor, blah-blah-blah." Only by mistake she sent her reader's comments along with the rejection letter. The reader had a gleeful time making fun of my book. I hurt for days (weeks, months).

I contracted the book several years later and it did well (from Publishers Weekly: "Features a large cast of compelling characters, an ambitious span of time, and emotional depth"), but I digress.

I played Sister Woman in Cat On a Hot Tin Roof. In the play Maggie calls "my" kids no-neck monsters. That's what I called Rebecca (and yes, I'm packing my handbasket).

• Love 3

Almost at a million now.  Probably hit that mark tonight

I still say the key to beating him is the DD.  And mostly the DDs in the second round.  Someone else has to hit one or both of those and bet big.  And possible then hope he misses FJ as well.  He doesn't seem to miss those often

I had no idea on FJ last night.  Not up on my English Lords outside of Baltimore, Byron and Sandwhich

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Neither can I-I-I . . .

So <g>, I rarely detest a Jeptestant. However, how many are surprised that I bristled at Rebecca's "funny" (*ahem*) story about how she and her pals WRITE IN BOOK MARGINS?

What's wrong with that?  Marginalia is a thing.

• Love 1