Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Josiah Pops the Question

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ChiMama said:

And they were feasting what looked like catering from Chick-Fil-A -- I recognize it from work lunches. I'm surprised they didn't show the logos & do some product placement advertising -- it's a perfect match with Counting On ideology-wise.

The waffle fries (in something that looked like a salad bowl) gave it away for me.. but they could have ordered chicken strips - that would have been more adult. 

But the real question is - did they get the lemonade ???  :)

RE: fast food - not sure about Milledgeville but yes the ATL has just about them all , somewhere once-upon-a time, - except the infamous White Castle. We have Krystals instead.

Now - I do agree, though, not to dis' old Chick-Fil-A, I would have expected a home cooked meal at a family gathering. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Even in the browser.

You a foreign spy Mollie? LOL

This is what it says: This video contains content from Discovery Communications, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

That is what I see. 

20 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

That is what I see. 

Maybe you can find it this way:  Go to YouTube, and in the YouTube search box copy and paste this:

19 kids and counting - Duggars: All you wanted to know 3/3

Or, open the Chrome browser.  Then, press Ctrl+ Shift + N to bring up an incognito window.  Then, put the URL in the search box at the top and hit Enter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=1lJ0fWfOHro

Edited by Mollie
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I saw Giddyup’s crib at Target.  I’m not sure why Joy didn’t pick up a few Liz Lange, or whoever the designer is, tops while she was there.  Target has cute and affordable maternity clothes, and they tend to be neat CFAs.  

having the same clothing discussion on another thread... doesn't this crew proclaim to have seamstresses and tailors on 24x7 on-call? I would think someone would have a stash of maternity patterns ready at their finger tips. I know Joy is too busy being Austin's farm-hand, but she couldn't find time to sew up a few jumpers? She is going to need them.

And if she is too busy - I would think they could find maternity clothes in the thrift and consignment stores.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, flyingdi said:

The producers asked Lauren's brothers if they knew what engaged meant.  They did not.

Josiah then said he would be like their new older brother. 

Lauren said yeah with a 21 Year age difference

The last part I speculated because that is kinda normal in Josiah's family.  Isn't Josh at least 20 or 21 years older than Josie?

Thank you! I thought he was talking to HER from your post!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Even in the browser.

You a foreign spy Mollie? LOL

This is what it says: This video contains content from Discovery Communications, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

It's true that I'm not in the U.S. right now.  I could tell you where I am, but then I'd have to kill you.  ROTFLOL

6srp.gif

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I think Chick-Fil-A just has a big following among Fundies because its the most Jesus-y fast food chain there is. Run by Godly Christians for Godly Christians.

The Duggars called him 'Siah when he was little and some of them probably still do. Remember the infamous moment when Michelle announced her umpteenth pregnancy and Josiah got upset and ran off-camera, practically in tears, then Jim Bob followed and angrily dragged him back by the scruff of his neck? As he started to run off, one of his older sisters (probably Jana) called out "No, 'Siah!"

Godly restaurant as in anti-LGBT. Definitely perfect for them.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Horrified said:

the way she says "Oh 'Siah!" gives me the creeps.  I can't put my finger on the precise reason, but its like she's acting like Church Elder, all calm and sage and knowing, and she's how old???  Maybe because she's determined to have her own pet name for Josiah/Si.  Maybe its the breathy whispery intimate way she says Siah.  Ick.

Girlfriend had a case of the vapors last night.

Josiah looks Amish.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I don't remember him being laughing and excited; I remember him being upset. Video is blocked for me, too, so I can't verify.

For those of you who are blocked from viewing the video, here are some screen shots.  In this scene, Jim Bob has lined all the kids up to take a group picture.  When he has them all lined up, he holds his camera up and announces that 45-year-old Michelle is pregnant.  Then Michelle says, "Mama's gonna have another baby."  Josiah is smiling on the far right. Josiah starts to inch his way out of the scene, then makes a run for the telephone (maybe to call a tabloid?). Then, Josiah vanishes from the scene.

When we see him again, he is visibly shaken, holding his hurt arm and is under Jim Bob's outstretched hand.

Counting On 1.png

Counting On 2.png

Counting On 3.png

Counting On 4.png

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Lauren's comment about brothers 21 years apart was curious. She's what 18? 18 years older than her newborn brother. Not that different than 21 years.

She was referring to Josiah being the newborn's big brother. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Mollie said:

For those of you who are blocked from viewing the video, here are some screen shots.  In this scene, Jim Bob has lined all the kids up to take a group picture.  When he has them all lined up, he holds his camera up and announces that 45-year-old Michelle is pregnant.  Then Michelle says, "Mama's gonna have another baby."  Josiah is smiling on the far right. Josiah starts to inch his way out of the scene, then makes a run for the telephone (maybe to call a tabloid?). Then, Josiah vanishes from the scene.

When we see him again, he is visibly shaken, holding his hurt arm and is under Jim Bob's outstretched hand.

Counting On 1.png

Counting On 2.png

Counting On 3.png

Counting On 4.png

He looks broken. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, sATL said:

The waffle fries (in something that looked like a salad bowl) gave it away for me.. but they could have ordered chicken strips - that would have been more adult. 

But the real question is - did they get the lemonade ???  :)

RE: fast food - not sure about Milledgeville but yes the ATL has just about them all , somewhere once-upon-a time, - except the infamous White Castle. We have Krystals instead.

Now - I do agree, though, not to dis' old Chick-Fil-A, I would have expected a home cooked meal at a family gathering. 

Did I tell you we drove from Atlanta to Nashville to compare White Castle and Krystal?  That's the only place in the country where there are both - our group came out tied.  To me there was little difference.  If I order  krystal with no onions and extra ketchup they are identical.  And PS tomorrow we are going to Dwarf House (not a great name) before we take grands to the airport.

too bad everyone didn't bring a dish - so it would have been home cooked and no one had to put out too much effort.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Sweet Jesus..Joy is huge!! And home births are soooo relaxing, huh Joy? Those crazy emergent trips to the hospital for emergency c-sections and hemorrhaging are totally relaxing I'm sure. Ladies...at this time may I direct your attention to your sister Jinger. Hospital birth, planned, educated herself, had an epidural.

Yes and in Jinger's case, they said that the epidural HELPED her progress in labor because it helped her relax enough to get things moving. Tension can halt labor. It was nice to see a different perspective on things. 

• Love 14

I’ve never watched the scene, so pardon the inquiry. Is it clearly shown that Josiah was on the phone? Near the phone? Getting a hold of the phone? He does look miserable on that screenshot where JB has his hand on him. What an insufferable jerk. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I watched that scene live- Josiah as very upset and scared when they announced Michelle was pregnant with Jubilee. Jana distinctly said “Siah don’t cry!” Poor thing. 

None of that was in the episode I posted about.  Which episode were you watching?

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yikes, with the current climate in the US right now I'd play it safe and give birth in San Antonio too!

I promise, delivering using a physician, especially as two white people in Laredo, they would have zero problems.

That stretch of highway is the most travelled by tractor trailers in the country. No darn way I would risk having to travel that to give birth with the sheer number of accidents daily on that road. They were irresponsible. And they didn’t even do it for a quality medical professional.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, snarky snarkerson said:

They were irresponsible. And they didn’t even do it for a quality medical professional.

Yeah, I'm kind of curious as to why a lay midwife in San Antonio was preferable to an M.D. in Laredo. My guess is Jeremy has a crappy insurance plan and the birthing center was much cheaper. Jinger's gotten a ton of praise for delivering in the hospital, but that was a last minute decision after she panicked over potential complications. She wasn't seeing an o.b. all along.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I watched that scene live- Josiah as very upset and scared when they announced Michelle was pregnant with Jubilee. Jana distinctly said “Siah don’t cry!” Poor thing. 

TLC only aired the original version one time.  It was recut before it was run again.  I guess they didn't pay attention the first time or didn't like the response they got.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I'm over the breathy sexy baby voice Lauren uses to croon "'Siahhhh...." whenever he shows up, does something romantic, or breathes.

This made my skin crawl. She sure is creepy. Sleep with one eye open Siah. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

but that was a last minute decision after she panicked over potential complications. She wasn't seeing an o.b. all along.

Are we sure it was a last minute decision? Or that the midwife wasn't working under an OB and Jinger wasn't particularly high risk so their involvement was minimal? A friend used a midwife (not sure if a CNM or an LM or whatever) and a birthing center for all three of her kids to great success.

At the very least Jinger decided to head to a hospital BEFORE something went wrong, so she's still ahead of her sisters.

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, McManda said:

Are we sure it was a last minute decision? Or that the midwife wasn't working under an OB and Jinger wasn't particularly high risk so their involvement was minimal?

No, we aren’t. But both CNMs and LMs are allowed to independently manage pregnancy care in Texas. Plus her midwife is the director of the center.

im not against midwifery, in fact I wish we had a lot more CNMs around, British and Scandanavian style. I just don’t think Vuolos deserve praise for being sensible when, and I say this as someone who has lived in the area and who has been a patient (including gyn) in Laredo, they actively chose to drive over 300 miles round trip for their appointments and delivery when there is a very good hospital (the “good” hospital as locals would say) 5 minutes from their home and probably 2 dozen OBs affiliated with it.

by having a hospital birth, they negated a fair amount of the savings of using the birthing center anyway. As did Joy. And Jessa with her transfer and stay plus blood transfusion. Anna’s the money saving queen with the toilet birth. 

• Love 10

I watched a few minutes into a scene and was very confused. I thought Dwain Swanson was Jim Bob.  I had to actually get my glasses to figure out WTF was going on.

Michelle must be so envious. Lauren's mom AND Kendra's mom are/were pregnant! 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Michelle must be so envious. Lauren's mom AND Kendra's mom are/were pregnant! 

As creepy as they are, I can't make fun of Michelle for this. Josie and poor little Jubilee had a terrible time. It must be awful knowing your age or other reproductive issues are threatening the health and lives of your children, especially when you believe your primary purpose in life is to carry children. Personally I would've stopped trying to have kids after all of Josie's complications, but I guess I can't fault her for trying since all her other pregnancies and babies seemed healthy. I was born at 25 weeks myself when my mom unexpectedly got an infection, so watching all the heartbreak and struggle that went along with the last two was painful for me. Although with their literal balls to the wall strategy with family planning, it was bound to happen eventually, so you can argue that Michelle was blatantly reckless at best and negligent at worst at the end of her reproductive life. She must feel her relevance fading the longer she goes without having babies in the house and the older her youngest kids get. That's the problem with only valuing yourself as a vessel.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, sATL said:

Preview for next week - This fool can't be respectful enough to remove his cap before putting on the protective gear ?

cap.png.c0ebc30e3cd05aac1233334ab54aa3e5.png

Longtime lurker (well about a year at least) hey everyone I’m enjoying all your comments. 

Anyways when I saw this picture I was thinking WTF take your damn hat off but then I realised this was at Joys Caesarian so maybe the guy just wasn’t thinking straight either that or the cap is permanently stuck to his head. 

Edited by Puffin
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Longtime lurker (well about a year at least) hey everyone I’m enjoying all your comments. 

Anyways when I saw this picture I was thinking WTF take your damn hat off but then I realised this was at Joys Caesarian so maybe the guy just wasn’t thinking straight either that or the cap is permanently stuck to his head. 

Or maybe the cameraman/producer said, "Hey, Austin, leave the cap on!  Wouldn't that be hilarious?"

If this is true, Mr Crew member, then no.  It is not the least bit funny.

• Love 9
On 8/28/2018 at 3:56 AM, sATL said:

Preview for next week - This fool can't be respectful enough to remove his cap before putting on the protective gear ?

cap.png.c0ebc30e3cd05aac1233334ab54aa3e5.png

You know he's a man and has to wear his hat at all times cause he's such a dude. He's such a douchebag.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Jut watched the episode, and thought Jeremy seemed so "on" the whole time, and then it hit me...

he should become a teacher!

Seriously, one of the hardest things about teaching is that you have to be "on" all day. That's why it's so easy to get burnt out, because the second you enter the building, you have to remain "on" and stay that way for eight hours. I actually think jeremy would be a pretty good teacher, maybe at the high school level! He's personable enough to relate to teenagers, he can admit when he makes a mistake (and that goes over well with teens), and I think he could make the lessons fun if he didn't feel he had to be "serious" like he does with his sermons. I could actually see him doing that, and he seems like the type who could work with non-Christians if he had to. He could even run a Christian club before or after school if he wanted, and coach soccer!

I am not a teacher but I have several friends that are. I do think that would suit his personality, but won’t lead to televangelist fame. 

• Love 9

I liked the focus on Jeremy and Jinger. Even though it was a repeat storyline and clearly for the show---who travels for what looked like 1 day with 3 kids on a 'vacation'---it wasn't them being stuck with Duggar children to 'practice'. Their friends actually seemed pretty authentic and provided a different dynamic. Jinger may not like being away from family, but I think it suits her. 

I can't watch Lauren and Si. I can't get past her breathy voice and I can't get past the same ole boring storyline with a different couple. 

And I am definitely struggling with this season---I remember thinking "Oh there is nothing on tonight" on Monday and totally forgetting this show even existed. I've had to watch it on the web. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

And I am definitely struggling with this season---I remember thinking "Oh there is nothing on tonight" on Monday and totally forgetting this show even existed. I've had to watch it on the web. 

Turns out you were right.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy. You might be a redneck if you can't take off your damn cap in the delivery room. 

Totally! WTF, douche? You'll be wearing a head covering so we won't see your thinning hair, anyway. Lose the flipping baseball cap. loser.

• Love 14
23 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

As creepy as they are, I can't make fun of Michelle for this. Josie and poor little Jubilee had a terrible time. It must be awful knowing your age or other reproductive issues are threatening the health and lives of your children, especially when you believe your primary purpose in life is to carry children. Personally I would've stopped trying to have kids after all of Josie's complications, but I guess I can't fault her for trying since all her other pregnancies and babies seemed healthy. I was born at 25 weeks myself when my mom unexpectedly got an infection, so watching all the heartbreak and struggle that went along with the last two was painful for me. Although with their literal balls to the wall strategy with family planning, it was bound to happen eventually, so you can argue that Michelle was blatantly reckless at best and negligent at worst at the end of her reproductive life. She must feel her relevance fading the longer she goes without having babies in the house and the older her youngest kids get. That's the problem with only valuing yourself as a vessel.

Absolutely.  

Michelle must be so envious for a few reasons:

1. she loves being pregnant and loves the attention it brings.  Now two other women and her daughters are getting so much attention.  She is just standing there smiling and no one wants to hear about her 20 pregnancies. (or 21?)

2. It stings to have lost a pregnancy and then cannot have another/too old etc.  Of course, she does have 19 others....I have had so many miscarriages and ended on a loss.  At 48, it does sting.  So I do feel for Michelle somewhat. (I have children, just to add).

3. Like you said, Michelle was so highly valued in her religious circle/family because she can produce.  At 51, she is a little stuck to find value in herself.  Once again, she has to smile while other women are valuable. 

Mix in the Josh mess, no wonder Michelle is so disconnected and lost.  She really is just a shell of who she used to be on camera.

• Love 8

I imagine that menopause had done a number her as well. Probably 2 hours on the elliptical to keep trim. I can't imagine what her midsection looks like after 19 pregnancies (sorry, not counting "Caleb" in this tally but will note Jubilee since she made it into the second trimester). I wonder if she got a tummy tuck in the DL. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I imagine that menopause had done a number her as well. Probably 2 hours on the elliptical to keep trim. I can't imagine what her midsection looks like after 19 pregnancies (sorry, not counting "Caleb" in this tally but will note Jubilee since she made it into the second trimester). I wonder if she got a tummy tuck in the DL. 

actually - this is what started the discussion of making/buying clothes on the Bates thread - acquiring nice dress clothes for Kelly , who appears to be gaining.

I suspect Michelle has a small natural frame - kinda like Jinger (prior to pregnancy), Jill and Jessa. Actually Jessa really has very thin arms in the this episode. 

There were a few older clips back when when Michelle said she went to weight watchers to lose/watch weight and at that time was exercising.  IIRC, Michelle had a decent looking midsection in the dress she wore for Josiah's & Jinger's wedding.

Now it also could be she wears proper undergarments - to suck and tuck it in. It  makes some sense for her to stay in shape to look trim in mother-of-the-bride dresses.

Even though JB's midsection has grown in the past years , I can see him being one of those men who would comment if their wives figure was showing signs of noticeable weight gain from menopause, as opposed to a pregnancy.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

If Michelle is feeling sorry for herself, then that is her problem. She has 19 children, most of whom seem reasonably healthy and even Josie seems to be doing pretty well. She has enough money she doesn't need to have an outside job (beyond celebrity/homemaker) and she is surrounded by family and even seems to see friends regularly. It's not sad she couldn't have more kids in late 40s. I know people who would love to have a fraction of the family she has and can't. 

18 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Amem! My mom and I had this discussion about a multiples mom on another TLC show just the other day. I feel for her losses I really do. Miscarriages are the worst. But lady, you have 19 children; 19 freakin’ walking, talking, breathing kids!!! Don’t be greedy!  Here I am having surgery soon just hoping to be able to have one healthy baby at my age (not 51 like her but still AMA), so excuse me if I don’t break out the ol’ violin for her because she couldn’t breed indefinitely to fulfill some whacko desire/need to constantly gestate.  She went to real schools so she knew how this worked.  She should have mentally prepared herself for menopause about three babies ago.

Yeah, I know she's brainwashed to think this is her only purpose in life, but it makes her come off as greedy and ungrateful.  I read a book by a Christian author named Michelle McKinney Hammond once who used the bible to describe this behavior.  She used the story of Hannah and Elkanah and talked about how even though Hannah had a loving husband she was unhappy because she didn’t have any children. The husband couldn’t understand why he wasn’t enough for her, and basically asked her “Don’t I mean more to you than ten sons?” (very loose translation btw). The author called it one tree-itis, and like Eve who had the entire garden to enjoy, she focused on the one tree she didn’t have.  

That’s MOTY to a “t”.  She’s got the ”itis”, and can’t fully appreciate the children she does have because she was too focused on Jubilee and every other baby she didn’t get to have.  I suspect her entire childbearing life was like this too.  No time to bond with and truly enjoy her baby because she was too focused on getting the next one.  Whenever I saw her pining away about menopause, future blessings, or turning the spotlight on herself for every kid’s pregnancy or grandkids’ birth, I always thought don’t the 19 healthy, loving children you have mean more to you than ten pregnancies?  

Ok, rant over but people like her who feel entitled to healthy pregnancies and babies are ridiculous.  I’m sure sugery anxiety is fueling this, but she needs to get over herself and go raise her minor children who still very much need a mother.  

I agree she can't have any more kids? Well, too bad. Almost anyone else I'd feel sorry for but not Michelle. She has 19 kids who are alive and healthy. That she's never bothered to raise or give a crap about. 19 Kids she couldn't be bothered to raise, take care of, or even bother to form any real relationships with them. 19 Kids that were just numbers to her except for her 4 oldest girls who she could force cooked, clean, raised and educated her kids. 5 kids wasn't enough for her, 10 kids weren't enough for her, 15 kids weren't enough and 19 kids weren't enough for her. So what now after almost decade of being in the spotlight getting all of the attention she no longer has it? Too bad.  That she can no longer turn everything that happens back herself? Tough. She hasn't gotten off her butt to raise a child since she handed Joy over to Jill.  She still has kids at home and still doesn't give a crap.  

• Love 23
On 8/28/2018 at 8:12 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I am more attracted to narrow bites with a bit of a crooky tooth here or there, and find chicklet teeth with gummy smiles kind of endearing.

*I’ll haul it to small talk after this, mods, I swear*

I love that you used the term “chicklet teeth” ? that has been a favorite in my family for years. Right there with “pony teeth.” I, personally, have always been a fan of what I call “teeth with character.”

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

If Michelle is feeling sorry for herself, then that is her problem. She has 19 children, most of whom seem reasonably healthy and even Josie seems to be doing pretty well. She has enough money she doesn't need to have an outside job (beyond celebrity/homemaker) and she is surrounded by family and even seems to see friends regularly. It's not sad she couldn't have more kids in late 40s. I know people who would love to have a fraction of the family she has and can't. 

Oh, I totally agree. I don't feel sorry for her.  She has *19* kids!!!!  Although pregnancy losses are hard and I am sympathetic to that...SHE HAS 19 KIDS!!!

From her point of view? Her world crashed.  She has no purpose.  No more pregnancy and that constant breastfeeding with the baby strapped on her, remember that shit show???  Michelle is totally lost while the Swanson and Caldwell family is still expanding.  

(I think I'm off topic here with Michelle...we can move to the Michelle forum)

• Love 3