Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Josiah Pops the Question

• Start Topic

From the onscreen description

Jinger and Jeremy's good friends come for a visit, and the expecting couple has a trial run at parenthood; they must figure out how to manage three kids under five without any meltdowns; Josiah travels to Georgia to propose to Lauren.

Re: episode numbering. I've been going by the onscreen guide and it seems TLC changed it a few episodes into the new season because TLC hates me. When I get a chance, I'll renumber the beginning of the season's episodes, but I really, really, really, really wish TLC would get their act together because this will be the fifth time since I've been a mod that I have had to renumber the seasons. (Sorry for the run-on sentence, but it really gets my goat.) Seriously, it would be soooo nice if they would pick a scheme and stick with it.

Ahem. Onto the episode.

• Love 13

Since Counting On doesn't come on til 9 PM and it always puts me right to sleep, I cheated and watched it early on TLCGO. 

Jinger and Jana readily admitted to changing 1000's of diapers.  But Jessa, through her rose tinted glasses, remembered ma and Pa changing the bulk of the diapers. Right!

Josiah was really into making the proposal scene picture perfect.

Lauren's parents' home is very modest in Georgia.  And so expensive looking in Arkansas.  It does make me wonder.

Jana had on too much make-up and seemed overly excited about Josiah and his proposal.

Jana and Joy have on yet another damn circular scarf.  Yes, again.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

OMG, I’m trying to follow this but it’s so boring, I can hardly understand why this is on national tv. Who is interested in watching a young couple visit and watch their friends kids? Kill me now.  

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!  Why are we still watching? ?

Luis ♥️! He's a good looking guy. Their youngest is adorable. Her reaction to her own sneeze? Lol. She was so happy.

Wow. Wifey is beautiful, too. (No idea her name).

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

OMG, I’m trying to follow this but it’s so boring, I can hardly understand why this is on national tv. Who is interested in watching a young couple visit and watch their friends kids? Kill me now.  

I wish I knew! I feel the same way.

16 minutes ago, louannems said:

Since Counting On doesn't come on til 9 PM and it always puts me right to sleep, I cheated and watched it early on TLCGO. 

Jinger and Jana readily admitted to changing 1000's of diapers.  But Jessa, through her rose tinted glasses, remembered ma and Pa changing the bulk of the diapers. Right!

Josiah was really into making the proposal scene picture perfect.

Lauren's parents' home is very modest in Georgia.  And so expensive looking in Arkansas.  It does make me wonder.

Jana had on too much make-up and seemed overly excited about Josiah and his proposal.

Jana and Joy have on yet another damn circular scarf.  Yes, again.

Jessa is a manipulative liar.

• Love 17

I'm 100% sure that 0% of the DuggarSpawn are interested in producing double digit amounts of offspring. And the fact they (for the most part) believe that Ma and Pa were super humans shows A) they are completely blind to all the work they themselves did to keep Michelle from another laundry room style breakdown and B) they absolutely do not feel equipped to handle having enough kids to field both a varsity and JV team.

• Love 5

I find it interesting that while Jana and Jinger said that they changed hundreds if not thousands of diapers, Jessa said she only changed a little bit.  Given how emotionally detached she was from her sister-kids, Justin and Jordan, it wouldn’t surprised me if she didn’t change any.  Lately, I’ve noticed she’s been showering her parents with praise and giving them a lot of credit.  Either she appreciates them more now that she knows what it is like to be a parent, or she is being her usual self, fake and phony. 

It’s a shame that when Josiah proposed to Lauren, their “I love you” couldn’t be followed by a kiss.    

• Love 13

Josiah-"it'll be just like having an older brother.  I'll be your new brother!"

Lauren-"Yeah, an older brother with a 21 year age difference!"

Josiah-"Right, uh, completely normal?  Isn't it?"

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, louannems said:

Lauren s family home is really something else.  It is decorated like those elderly hermit-y country relatives you hated to visit when you were a kid.  Tacky knick knacks everywhere, no windows open and the heat cranked up.  

Totally agree with Louannems -the contrast with the Arkansas McMansion just defies explanation.

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I find it interesting that while Jana and Jinger said that they changed hundreds if not thousands of diapers, Jessa said she only changed a little bit.  Given how emotionally detached she was from her sister-kids, Justin and Jordan, it wouldn’t surprised me if she didn’t change any.  Lately, I’ve noticed she’s been showering her parents with praise and giving them a lot of credit.  Either she appreciates them more now that she knows what it is like to be a parent, or she is being her usual self, fake and phony. 

It’s a shame that when Josiah proposed to Lauren, their “I love you” couldn’t be followed by a kiss.    

I'm pretty sure that each and every time Jessa praises her parents, it's just a FU to fans, haters and the internet.

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Does anyone remember back on the original show when one of the J'Slaves (Jill, I think?) praised Boob for looking after the little kids because "they're not usually his jurisdiction"? So we're supposed to believe he was neck deep in dirty diapers? Liar liar, pants on fire, Jessa...

Didn't Jessa try to slip the same type of sentence embedded somewhere in her J'chelle and Boob last Happy Anniversary post?  Some suck-up sugarcoated version of "Thanks for helping out", which betrayed that it was a Big Deal if they did, because "not helping out" with child-rearing duties was thus the norm?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The expecting couple has a trail run at parenthood. Seriously... Lather, rinse, repeat!!! And I laugh at the good friends come for a visit. Do they have bad friends they do not want to admit to.

Notice that as soon as the friends came back from dinner, they put coats on the children and left.  Ginger looked so tired and ready for them to go.  Those children were making me tired.  

46 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Sweet Jesus..Joy is huge!! And home births are soooo relaxing, huh Joy? Those crazy emergent trips to the hospital for emergency c-sections and hemorrhaging are totally relaxing I'm sure. Ladies...at this time may I direct your attention to your sister Jinger. Hospital birth, planned, educated herself, had an epidural.

During the exercise around the gym segment, Joy said she couldn't find any clothes that fit.  How about you go to Walmart and buy another shirt.  We don't like seeing your belly button.  Jessa looked really nice in this scene. 

4 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Seriously, Jeremy, corral those kids away from that piano.  It’s not a toy. 

If I were Jinger, I would have been closing the piano on the fingers that were banging it like a tinker toy. That was a gift to Jinger and they were treating it like crap.  Plus, the little girl that kept sliding across the table like it was a ski slope.  PLEASE.  I'm sure it reminded her of Josie.  But honestly, I don't understand people that don't correct their children.  I felt sorry for Jinger being in early pregnancy and dealing with all of that. 

• Love 11

I'm pretty sure that wasn't her new piano the kids were banging on, it looked more like her electric keyboard piano. Jeremy cracked me up when he told his friends he hadn't been around babies a lot, but Jinger had since she has 37 siblings. 

• Love 16

I would rather watch a spinoff of just Henry and Spurge.

I am one of the very few people not enamored with JinJer. I think they are as dull as the rest. At this point the only couples that slightly interest me are Joe and Kendra and John and Abbie.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Notice that as soon as the friends came back from dinner, they put coats on the children and left.  Ginger looked so tired and ready for them to go.  Those children were making me tired.  

During the exercise around the gym segment, Joy said she couldn't find any clothes that fit.  How about you go to Walmart and buy another shirt.  We don't like seeing your belly button.  Jessa looked really nice in this scene. 

If I were Jinger, I would have been closing the piano on the fingers that were banging it like a tinker toy. That was a gift to Jinger and they were treating it like crap.  Plus, the little girl that kept sliding across the table like it was a ski slope.  PLEASE.  I'm sure it reminded her of Josie.  But honestly, I don't understand people that don't correct their children.  I felt sorry for Jinger being in early pregnancy and dealing with all of that. 

She doesn't work and had no kids at that time. She could afford to suck it up, and I don't feel sorry for her. Many women continue working full-time when they are pregnant. Poor Jinger . I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for her.

1 hour ago, Maya said:

Josiah acts like a brainwashed robot to me and Lauren’s not much better. I see no real love there. Lauren’s family is as crazy as the Duggers. 

They aren't given a chance to find out what real love is.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 12

Ugh, well, I’ll say one thing about Lauren: she and her family will definitely fit in with the rest of the Duggar clan.  Her mom, in particular, has that same vacant, spaced-out look that Michelle has always had.  It’s an awkward mix of “Me wife, me blindly serve helpless husband” and years upon years of being steeped in religious teachings that encourage her to view herself as an unquestioning, obedient brood mare.  I find it sad, but luckily, they don’t.  It’s hard to imagine talking to any of these women about anything other than diaper brands, breastfeeding privacy shawls, and “birth stories” (a term I hate with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns).

• Love 21

I don’t know whether to commend Lauren’s Mom for having an O/B, or say ‘ you did What?!’ for going from Arkansas to Georgia to give birth. 

Then she’s ok with Josiah flying down there like the next day to propose. Just what everyone with a zillion kids and who has just given birth wants. A guy she barely knows in her home while she’s recovering. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

I would rather watch a spinoff of just Henry and Spurge.

I am one of the very few people not enamored with JinJer. I think they are as dull as the rest. At this point the only couples that slightly interest me are Joe and Kendra and John and Abbie.

During the episode I was thinking I would've been happier watching Spurge run around on the basketball court for an hour than sitting through this drudgery.

For starters I don't understand why producers think expectant couples watching bratty kids is cute and funny. I felt bad for Jinger. She looked like she was five seconds away from losing her shit. I thought Jeremy was playing to the cameras even more so than usual. I'm not saying he doesn't genuinely like kids, but he was too "on," if you know what I mean. 

Lauren's family is Deliverance levels of creepy. Something is so weird about her parents but I can't articulate what. 

I'm surprised they're replaying Joy's botched homebirth next week.

• Love 24

Did anyone else think that Lauren's father looks a lot like JimBob?  They could almost be brothers.  And another thing, he had man boobs.  He looked like he needed a bra in a couple of scenes.

I probably shouldn't say this, but when Lauren smiles her gums show. A lot.  It really bugs me.  I've seen other people like that and I just think it's so unattractive.  It's too bad because she is kind of cute otherwise.

• Love 11

sounds like insurance (or lack of insurance) was the reason to pack up the entire family to go back to GA to have baby. State health insurance is only good within the state. Granted you just moved - but who travels states - just to have a baby.

Mrs. swanson is lucky she didn't have the baby on the side of the road. 

And then the trip back? with a newborn? 

5b84efb2167db_ar-gamap.thumb.png.614c890c9d83741cee83006ff526b804.png

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Jeremy sounded and looked a little "pissed off" when the producer asked if there is any chance their baby could be twins. hmmm..

I know Laredo is a small town, but I think if I  left my offspring with friends, who don't have any children, & Jinger pregnant, I would have left after I fed them and put them bed. Or at least left at nap time. Date night can be anywhere - its not like they had tickets/reservations to somewhere.

Someone took a newborn baby from its maternal grandmother's arms (who admittedly said she hasn't had a chance to hold him) and gave him to Josiah as soon as he walks in the door? Oh hell no...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

But there was so much dramatic tension and foreboding  - would there would be a poopy diaper to change, or wouldn't there be a poopy diaper to change?

• Love 5

Do the Swanson's own that bus? And do you need a special license to drive it?

Jinger was losing her patience waiting for the mom to tell the youngest kid to stop hitting her with the box. She also looked less than thrilled to be feeding the kids as she threw the pizza onto the plates. I think Jinger and Jeremy are going to see child rearing a little differently and Jinger is definitely going to be the stricter parent.

Between last week's show when the Duggar family visited the Vuolo's and this week's show where Jinger glanced at Jeremy when the friends were discussing not having family around, I think Jinger wants to move closer to home. 

I wonder what Jessa thought when she saw the taped show, showing her and her sisters answering the diaper question? 100s to 1000s. 100s to 1000s. Maybe a few.

• Love 10

Okay, I suspect that Jinger and Jessa(correction) might have told at least one little white lie last night.  I DO NOT believe that JB and Michelle changed the majority of the diapers in that household.  Do they not realize what we have seen over the years?  I mean, Michelle's bad back and all....she couldn't have. lol

The proposal was sweet and all, but, wouldn't it have made more sense to have just stuck the flowers into the hay, so they would be upright, rather than hanging them upside down so sad like?  I don't get it.  They would likely have stuck into the hay, even without any floral wire on them. 

It appeared to me that the instrument the kids were playing in the bedroom was Jinger's electric piano, not her nice standard piano, that she got on her anniversary.

Do you think that TLC producers encourage parents to instruct their kids to act as rowdy as possible and then sit back and do nothing? 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Horrified said:

Lauren s family home is really something else.  It is decorated like those elderly hermit-y country relatives you hated to visit when you were a kid.  Tacky knick knacks everywhere, no windows open and the heat cranked up.  

This description cracked me up.  As I was reading, "tacky knick knacks..." I all of a sudden pictured a hot house.  Before I got to your "...and the heat cranked up".  Yep, I know those houses!

Laurens got this laugh that makes me want to claw her eyes out.  It sounds so snotty and mean girl.  I don't think she means it that way, but it's just this guffaw after she says something smarty pantsy. 

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Okay, I suspect that Jinger and Jill might have told at least one little white lie last night.  I DO NOT believe that JB and Michelle changed the majority of the diapers in that household.  Do they not realize what we have seen over the years?  I mean, Michelle's bad back and all....she couldn't have. lol

The proposal was sweet and all, but, wouldn't it have made more sense to have just stuck the flowers into the hay, so they would be upright, rather than hanging them upside down so sad like?  I don't get it.  They would likely have stuck into the hay, even without any floral wire on them. 

It appeared to me that the instrument the kids were playing in the bedroom was Jinger's electric piano, not her nice standard piano, that she got on her anniversary.

Do you think that TLC producers encourage parents to instruct their kids to act as rowdy as possible and then sit back and do nothing? 

Seems to me that it's probably easier to do damage to an electric piano than an acoustic one anyway...not that either should really be hurt by someone banging on the keys. Lots of piano music involves some pretty enthusiastic pounding, and a piano doesn't care whether the chords struck are tuneful or not.

• Love 2

I don't think Jeremy was more "on" this episode than normal. I actually like him better when he's not doing taking heads because he seems much more normal. When he does taking heads he tends to end up with an affect on his speech that veers him into breathy, overexplain the obvious, Michelle territory.

But Jeremy looked the comfortable with his friends kids, more comfortable than any other Duggar husband (except maybe Ben, but I think he grew into that with his own his). I really do think Jeremy was ready for and wanted kids of his own, which means Felicity is starting life ahead of, say, Gideon.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

“What qualifies you to watch my kids?

“Jinger has 36 siblings that she.....watched...”

I could almost SEE him looking for the friendliest synonym in the place of “raised.” 

Jeremy has perfected the art of faking it, or kissing up or treating crazy as normal or all of the above and more.  His only weak spot is his statements don't always reach his eyes.  But I have no doubt he goes into a private room and laughs his ass off at his family-in-law.  Last week eating the BBQ Tuna then when they started fixing the ever present Tater Tot Casserole and going on about how great it is he quietly slipped out of the kitchen.  He's happily doing his own thing with Jinger (pants, mortgage, baby after a year) while still making dear FIL JimBoob think that Jeremy believes JB shits golden pearls of knowledge and wisdom.  And he's laughing all the way to the bank.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Do the Swanson's own that bus? And do you need a special license to drive it?

I think it was an RV, it looked almost exactly like my neighbors RV in size, shape etc; (just a different color)

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

This description cracked me up.  As I was reading, "tacky knick knacks..." I all of a sudden pictured a hot house.  Before I got to your "...and the heat cranked up".  Yep, I know those houses!

Laurens got this laugh that makes me want to claw her eyes out.  It sounds so snotty and mean girl.  I don't think she means it that way, but it's just this guffaw after she says something smarty pantsy. 

Oh, I definitely think she has a touch of Mean Girl in her. When they were at dinner Mr. Swanson remarked Josiah was being healthy by eating a salad and Lauren snotty-like said "yeah, covered in ranch." She seems to have a thing with food, like she pats herself on the back for being ultra-healthy while passive-aggressively making digs at what everyone else is eating. She did it at the restaurant with the Duggar girls as well.

I don't know what it is with Lauren. I want to like her but something about her rubs me the wrong way. I don't think she's sincere at all.

• Love 24
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Oh, I definitely think she has a touch of Mean Girl in her. When they were at dinner Mr. Swanson remarked Josiah was being healthy by eating a salad and Lauren snotty-like said "yeah, covered in ranch." She seems to have a thing with food, like she pats herself on the back for being ultra-healthy while passive-aggressively making digs at what everyone else is eating. She did it at the restaurant with the Duggar girls as well.

I don't know what it is with Lauren. I want to like her but something about her rubs me the wrong way. I don't think she's sincere at all.

I definitely think you're onto something.  I can see it.  She's going to be the type to talk down to "Si" during their marriage.  Will emasculate him.  I had a boss like her, always had to point out how healthy she was eating in front of everyone.  And then when she'd have a piece of cake at an office birthday, she'd start with the, "I don't normally eat this way".  "I'm going to have just a bite since I normally eat healthy" (and proceeds to eat the whole piece).  Bitch?  Shut up and eat a piece.  I can see this in Lauren.

These Duggars push so much that the perfect mate must be opposite, they're always talking about balancing each other out.  Sometimes opposites are not the best way to go.

• Love 18

At this point, the Swanson’s are definitely angling for their own TV show.  That family is just straight up weird.  Plus I’m sure Dwain has been on TV more then all the other in-laws combined.

The last time I checked Dwain didn’t own any property in Arkansas so I would guess that house is rented.  I can’t imagine they would give up 100-year family land in Georgia to live close to their daughter’s boyfriend.

• Love 8