Type keyword(s) to search

Strictly Come Dancing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

yes pretty certain that Danny is going to be gone after everything that was in the Press. Sad because I really hope that he was a nice guy and that those things were not true.

it's very difficult for me to watch Oti with anybody else after watching her with Danny haha but I don't think that grahme has been that easy to train just because of what he lacks in natural ability.

I actually don't mind Charles. I think the benefit that I have is that other than a few people on some shows that I watch, I really don't know who most of the contestants are so I don't have any preconceived notions about them from their backstories. I actually don't get the big love for Joe, he's just okay to me and There's Something About Stacey that I cannot connect to.  Honestly for me I don't really have a favorite this season.  I think Stacy will be in the finals and whoever else is with her is a toss-up.

I don't know if the music is given to them or if they choose it, but yes the music for the salsa was really weird. 

• Love 3

So I am in the other side of the pond and oblivious (sometimes happily) about the shenanigans behind the scenes and on British press. Like I was reading there was controversy with the curly haired guy who apparently kissed his partner, I know he’s been voted off. I am curious as to what Danny said, a quick google search tells me treated Amy badly and she ran out of rehearsals. If he was a jerk to her, then good riddance, I suppose, but it’s always interesting to see what affects voting; if I hadn’t know about that I would have rooted for him to stay.

Edited by A.Ham
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, A.Ham said:

So I am in the other side of the pond and oblivious (sometimes happily) about the shenanigans behind the scenes and on British press. Like I was reading there was controversy with the curly haired guy who apparently kissed his partner, I know he’s been voted off. I am curious as to what Danny said, a quick google search tells me treated Amy badly and she ran out of rehearsals. If he was a jerk to her, then good riddance, I suppose, but it’s always interesting to see what affects voting; if I hadn’t know about that I would have rooted for him to stay.

Supposedly, he was a dick not just to Amy, but to others in the cast and crew as well, and that disappoints me if it's true, because I like Danny and am impressed with his overall ability at his age (although I don't think the Samba was anywhere NEAR being his best dance). But yeah, I think that may have put the viewers off him (it definitely put James Jordan off him, as James admitted on Twitter yesterday), so he could well be out.

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Honestly for me I don't really have a favorite this season.  I think Stacy will be in the finals and whoever else is with her is a toss-up.. 

My money is on Stacey and Ashley for the finals, with Graeme or Joe as possible spoilers if either of them makes it past Blackpool.

• Love 3

I think the truth is probably someone between the BBC version that Danny was a nightmare and the BBC version where it was a run of the mill spat. IMO, the push back would have been stronger if it was all made up. I feel bad for Amy because I’m sure she wanted to show what she can do as a pro, but exiting now is probably for the best.

Both Danny and Seann were at th bottom of the leaderboard when they were eliminated. It’s not like they were both doing spectacular dances while the public abandoned them. I have 0 sympathy for Seann. Not making out with your married dance partner on a public street on your girlfriend’s birthday doesn’t seem like too much to ask. Why would I want to root for that guy? 

I think if Joe improves a little, he could win it all. He comes in with a fan base and doesn’t have the ringer backlash. He’s going to need to do better than this week’s strange samba.

Shirley’s 8 for Faye’s jive seemed low. 

• Love 2

I think the red tops were on a bit of a hysterical high from the whole Seann and Katya thing and made more of the Danny situation than it probably warranted. I can kind of understand why he doesn't want to rush back. The really interesting thing is waiting to see who the tabloids will pick on next. My money's on Ashley or Faye.

• Love 1

Danny had a little back and forth with James Jordan on twitter. That's probably the perfect target for him. I'm sure James loved being relevant to Strictly again for 5 minutes. 

I enjoyed a lot of the dances. It was a fun night. The scoring was wacky. I wouldn't mind any of Kate, Lauren, or Graeme leaving. Stacey going wouldn't bother me at all, however I know better than to hope for Kevin to leave at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if Faye or Charles end up in the bottom 2 this week. The 10's make it look like they are safe, but the ties make it easier for them to end up in danger. Right now, I see Ashley or Joe winning it all.

• Love 1

I'm gutted that Graeme's out, even though I knew that realistically, he was a long shot to win, and I knew there was no way the judges would save him once I heard he was in the dance-off with Ashley (which appears to have been a huge shock to the viewers, or at least it was to James Jordan!).  I mean, to me, Graeme is what Strictly and DWTS both are (or ought to be) about, but I can also well imagine the viewer backlash if he had stayed over Ashley.  That is considered grounds for thermonuclear warfare over here when it happens on DWTS -- just look at the reaction when Bobby Bones won over the likes of Tinashe, Milo Manheim, and Juan Pablo DiPace.  So while I will miss Graeme, I really don't blame people for wanting Ashley to stay over him.  I'm just glad that he got to do something he clearly enjoyed doing for as long as he was able to do it, and I hope to see him again in perhaps a future Christmas special.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Occasional Hope said:

If not for the lindyhop I think Ashley would be at risk this week.

She is a fantastic dancer but even my mum has picked up on the professional background.

Ironically, I think the Lindyhop is what put her at risk. It made it look like Ashley was at the top of the pack, but it actually didn't change her place on the leader board (she was still third overall). Basically, it made it look like Ashley was safer than she was. This is exactly the time of the season when stronger dancers end up in the bottom 2. 

I'm a little surprise Lauren has avoided the bottom 2 all season long. I guess anyone who likes her and AJ knows they have to avoid the dance off to stay. I feel like Joe/Ashley/Faye/Stacey are headed to the finals. Maybe Lauren or Charles could play spoiler, but I don't see either of them winning. 

I did not like Joe's dance at all and the scoring didn't help matters. Please let this "couple's choice" thing be a one season experiment. I think we're done with it for the season anyway

• Love 3

Yeah, I loathed Joe's dance - hated the choreography, and didn't think it was performed well either.

When it comes to the final it's all about the public vote, so anyone who makes it to the final can win.  I think Ashley doesn't have the fanbase to win, and Faye might also get a bit of backlash/lack of active support for dance training, putting Joe and Stacey as the realistic favourites to win.  But Lauren is obviously getting a lot of votes atm so I wouldn't rule her out even though she is perhaps the weakest dancer left.

• Love 2

Joe’s salsa was the campest dance I think I’ve ever seen.  I’m not sure his fans will like it, and imo he could possibly be at risk this week.

Poor Ashley is definitely in the danger zone again, despite a lovely light quickstep.

I suspect Lauren will escape again.

I didn’t particularly like Faye’s dance but she’s the only person definitely safe.

• Love 2

I loved the theme this week! The musicals lent themselves well to big, crowd pleasing dances. Faye and Gio's Sound of Music was my favorite, even with the Gwen Steani touches thrown in. 

The judge's comments for Stacey were so over the top it was funny. You would have thought Stacey wrote Les Mis based on those comments. The number was so typically Kevin.

Salsa did not suit Joe at all. I don't know why Craig thought he sold the number well, I found his face to lacking in expression. That was Lauren's best dance yet. I thought a bus was heading straight for Charles when I heard he had rumba, but the judges seemed to like it. I find him likable, but they let him off easy for standing around a lot. I thought Karen's hips didn't do the rumba justice either. I agreed with Shirley about Ashley not staying in position, although clearly she is the best dancer overall. Darcy telling Ashley her arm wasn't right, then giving a 10 was strange.

We'll see if Ashley really is unpopular this week. Anyone can end up in the b2 with the ties on the leader board, first place got 6 points but last place only got 3. This really will be about who the audience likes best. A Charles v. Ashley b2 would be my guess, but nothing will surprise me.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I loved the theme this week! The musicals lent themselves well to big, crowd pleasing dances. Faye and Gio's Sound of Music was my favorite, even with the Gwen Steani touches thrown in. 

The judge's comments for Stacey were so over the top it was funny. You would have thought Stacey wrote Les Mis based on those comments. The number was so typically Kevin.

Salsa did not suit Joe at all. I don't know why Craig thought he sold the number well, I found his face to lacking in expression. That was Lauren's best dance yet. I thought a bus was heading straight for Charles when I heard he had rumba, but the judges seemed to like it. I find him likable, but they let him off easy for standing around a lot. I thought Karen's hips didn't do the rumba justice either. I agreed with Shirley about Ashley not staying in position, although clearly she is the best dancer overall. Darcy telling Ashley her arm wasn't right, then giving a 10 was strange.

We'll see if Ashley really is unpopular this week. Anyone can end up in the b2 with the ties on the leader board, first place got 6 points but last place only got 3. This really will be about who the audience likes best. A Charles v. Ashley b2 would be my guess, but nothing will surprise me.

But there's no way Charles would survive the dance-off against Ashley.  That's why Graeme lost last week (not that I'm bitter about that or anything!).

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

But there's no way Charles would survive the dance-off against Ashley.  That's why Graeme lost last week (not that I'm bitter about that or anything!).

Of course! If it's Charles vs. Ashley, Charles leaves unless Ashley completely bombs (and even then the judges might be torn). 

• Love 3

the voting system on this show is much much better than the dancing with the stars voting system. it is much more fair and it makes the show much less of a popularity contest. this is something dancing with the stars should take up. it would make the show much better and the ratings higher. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, tedd said:

the voting system on this show is much much better than the dancing with the stars voting system. it is much more fair and it makes the show much less of a popularity contest. this is something dancing with the stars should take up. it would make the show much better and the ratings higher. 

It is just as much of a popularity contest, maybe even more so because the tie goes to the viewer votes. The voting system for Strictly has it's own flaws. A three person finale can lead to some odd results when you map everything out. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

It is just as much of a popularity contest, maybe even more so because the tie goes to the viewer votes. The voting system for Strictly has it's own flaws. A three person finale can lead to some odd results when you map everything out. 

And the dance-off isn't to everyone's liking, either.  Some viewers think that it gives the judges too much power and enables them to thwart the clearly expressed will of the viewers by saving someone who might be technically better but whom the viewers don't like or emotionally connect with the way they do the technically worse dancer.  Viewers don't like having their majority vote blatantly overruled like that.

I’m not sure my arithmetic is up to it, but with a tie at the top is there’s a chance Ashley and Faye could both be in the dance-off?  I hope not, because they are the best dancers.

Lauren is clearly the weakest left now, and ought to go this week, but has obviously been getting lots of votes so I wouldn’t bet against her making the final.

I enjoyed Joe’s dances This week.  Stacey is very good but I just don’t feel it.

• Love 2

Two weeks ago, I thought Joe was the front runner. I figured he would be able to dance decent enough and that would combine with his popularity to give him the win. He's had two rough weeks that have made me rethink that. Could this finally be Kevin's year? Stacey seems fairly popular. I liked her Charleston much more than last week's VW where Kevin seemed to hide her. I still want Faye and Gio to win, although I wasn't as wowed by her AT as I was hoping to be.

• Love 2

The result tonight looks like the dances tonight didn't matter. Kevin blew it with the showdance, but Stacey's popularity made that a non-issue. Gosh Kevin's ego is going to be unbearable. On the bright side, we can stop hearing about how Kevin has been robbed so many times. Can we get Gio a win next series, please?

Edited by Dots And Stripes
This is strictly and it's a showdance not a freestyle. Oops!
  • Love 3

Well, Kevin finally got his trophy.  Stacey looked like she was forgotten at the end .

Ashley was great in the final, but clearly had no chance.  I was sorry though that there was no pure ballroom from her tonight.

Faye had my favourite show dance, but blew it for me with her last dance.  It also, although she did have ballroom in her show dance, show that these new categories effectively mean you can effectively get two show dances in the finale, which seems unfair.

I honestly expected Joe to win.  Although arguably the weakest in the final, he had the biggest journey, his showdance was a crowd pleaser and I adore his Charleston which is super fun, plus all his YouTube fans.

Kind of meh on Stacey tbh, although I liked her paso tonight. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Occasional Hope said:

Faye had my favourite show dance, but blew it for me with her last dance.  It also, although she did have ballroom in her show dance, show that these new categories effectively mean you can effectively get two show dances in the finale, which seems unfair.

They all have the option to reuse their couple's choice dance, so I don't see it as unfair. Besides, the couples all get to play to their strengths with their choice in the last round. 

• Love 1

Pretty happy with the results. I like Kevin but I fear he’s in a very vulnerable place. Wishing the best for him & that Stacey doesn’t do a “tell all “ about him as he seems to be in a very vulnerable place

Yeah ... what I said twice but meant once.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2019 at 10:33 AM, Occasional Hope said:

Anyone watch the Christmas special?

I did.  I thought the dancing was good, and the winner most definitely earned it.  And yes, I found the routine by Anne and Anton stomach-churning!

And did anyone catch James Jordan on Dancing on Ice?  I can already hear the screams of "Ringer!" even though he insists that he's really rubbish on ice!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

And this year's pro lineup has already been confirmed, believe it or not.

In other pro news, James Jordan just made the finals of Dancing on Ice after scoring two perfect 40s on both of his skates in the semi-finals!

• Love 3

Neil and Katya have separated: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/celebrity/strictlys-katya-and-neil-jones-split-professional-dancers-announce-they-are-divorcing-following-11-year-relationship-10-months-after-seann-walsh-kissing-scandal/ar-AAFYDoU?ocid=spartanntp

I just saw the news! Here's their post about the split:

Were all the "everything is fine, people are overreacting!" joint interviews this spring in the midst of them genuinely trying to make things work as a couple, or PR for their tour? I wondered if Neil was really that forgiving or if his death glares to Seann and avoidance of Katya on stage post-kissgate were closer to the truth of the matter.

It's being reported that Neil and Katya will both get celebrity partners next series:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/18/strictly-come-dancings-neil-katya-jones-will-go-head-head-series-get-celeb-partners-split-10592439/

The tabloids won't make much of it, I'm sure!

Edited by Dejana
17 hours ago, Dejana said:

I just saw the news! Here's their post about the split:

Were all the "everything is fine, people are overreacting!" joint interviews this spring in the midst of them genuinely trying to make things work as a couple, or PR for their tour? I wondered if Neil was really that forgiving or if his death glares to Seann and avoidance of Katya on stage post-kissgate were closer to the truth of the matter.

It's being reporting that Neil and Katya will both get celebrity partners next series:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/18/strictly-come-dancings-neil-katya-jones-will-go-head-head-series-get-celeb-partners-split-10592439/

The tabloids won't make much of it, I'm sure!

Gorka is apparently on the bench this year. 

Are we going to get 10s next week then? The scoring has been way too high, the dances didn't deserve the scores they get and I really can't understand why they got them. It's the first week, there's no need! Plus it ruins 'the journey'. What's there to look forward to if they're getting 8's in the first week? 

Thoughts on week 1 and my ranking:

GOOD

1. Karim - ooh, what a great mover.  Very good indeed.  And very engaging too - I reckon he could win?

2. Kelvin the replacement - wow, Jamie Lang's injury was a blessing.  Great hip action.  A real contender.

3. Will - surprisingly good.

4. Michelle - hmm, bit of a dominatrix personality.  Her dancing was good, but I really don't see the GBP taking to her personality.  Will be a Shock Early Boot.

OK

5. Alex Scott - seems like a nice person, and dance was very good for week 1; she was the only one I felt was a bit undermarked, possibly as a result of going first, and as one of the less well known celebs she could be at risk next week,

6. Mike thingy from Breakfast - much better than expected, that was quite entertaining, energetic and funny.  Lucky he got Katya.  Will last a while.

7. Saffron Barker - really irritating teenage girl persona.  A few missteps in her dance, but probably has a devoted fanbase to get her to the final.  Plus AJ.

8. Catherine Tyldesley - a bit walky but not bad.  Probably has potential.

9. Dev - a bit limp.

THE BAD

10. Emma B - a big disappointment for the last dance of the night, clumsy and out of time.

11. Emma Weymouth - tentative and lacking energy.  Disappointing - I thought she would do better.  Hope we see more giraffes etc.

12. David James - stiff, dire choice of song and staging, how cringeworthy was that even by Strictly standards.

13. Chris Ramsey - a dad dancer, clumsy

14. Anneka - an exercise routine not a dance.  But she had energy.

15. James Cracknell - awful.  Looked more like the Hunchback of Notre Dame than a dancer., and it was glacially slow.  First out?

A foxtrot to "Three Lions": I am still laughing!

Incredible samba from Kelvin and in his first week—as a replacement! I'm sure Oti isn't happy Jamie Laing got hurt, but...

Nice to see the scores at the end of the official Youtube videos, thanks BBC!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

The heavily themed dances are really helpful because I've only heard of one celebrity (Michelle). Now at least I know that Nadiya's partner is an athlete and Dianne is paired with a DJ. 

I'm excited that AJ and Gio have the opportunity to stick around a while. I'm also happy Neil finally has a chance and has someone with potential. 

Poor Luba. That's a tough break for her first partner to be so wooden. On the other hand, I am loving seeing Kevin with a dud. He seemed to think if he over-danced enough no one would notice her.

Finally, I am most excited to see Anton with someone with a dance background. His latin is still terrible, although the choreography team should mitigate that a little. If Janette got a ringer in the past let Anton have one now and again too.

• Love 1

The judging was thankfully back to sanity this week. I feel a bit sorry for Mike Bushell, I get that he's not a great dancer but he should have the opportunity to actually dance rather than... whatever that was this week. 

I'm going to be rooting for Alex Scott, because I like Alex Scott. I think she has potential and out of everyone is most likely to have a 'journey', as opposed to the people who are already great (Karim and Kelvin) and people who aren't very good and might not get the opportunity to grow. 

So this week we have narrowed to three real contenders - and a lot of other people.

THE GREAT

1. Karim - so stylish.  He looks like he must have some dance training, but right now he's my favourite.  Love him.  And as he looks quite short, he and we dodged a massive bullet by not getting paired with Janette.

2. Kelvin - also excellent, proving he can do graceful ballroom as well as fab Latin.  Anther real contender.

3. Michelle - beautiful dancer.  I can't see her winning for non-dance reasons, but will enjoy the ride.

Then there's a fair gap down to the

MID RANKERS

Dev - entertaining, pretty good.

Emma B - much improved.

Anneka - a bit stiff, but better than last week, apart from a ghastly fixed smile.

Saffron - not bad, but looks quite tentative still.

Alex - a bit slow but not bad.

Catherine - arms looked strange, but improved from last week.

Emma W - danced like a doll or robot. 

David - awkward but better than last week, thought the judges were a bit hard on him.

POOR

James - much better than last week at least he looked like he was having fun.  The hunchback was still there but much less pronounced.

Chris - too hammy, even for a Charleston.

Mike - I love his enthusiasm, but he can't dance.

Will - good last week, but I really didn't get this one at all.  Hated it.

At risk:

Could be any of James, David, Anneka, Chris and Emma W.

5 hours ago, Occasional Hope said:

So this week we have narrowed to three real contenders - and a lot of other people.

THE GREAT

1. Karim - so stylish.  He looks like he must have some dance training, but right now he's my favourite.  Love him.  And as he looks quite short, he and we dodged a massive bullet by not getting paired with Janette.

2. Kelvin - also excellent, proving he can do graceful ballroom as well as fab Latin.  Anther real contender.

3. Michelle - beautiful dancer.  I can't see her winning for non-dance reasons, but will enjoy the ride.

Then there's a fair gap down to the

MID RANKERS

Dev - entertaining, pretty good.

Emma B - much improved.

Anneka - a bit stiff, but better than last week, apart from a ghastly fixed smile.

Saffron - not bad, but looks quite tentative still.

Alex - a bit slow but not bad.

Catherine - arms looked strange, but improved from last week.

Emma W - danced like a doll or robot. 

David - awkward but better than last week, thought the judges were a bit hard on him.

POOR

James - much better than last week at least he looked like he was having fun.  The hunchback was still there but much less pronounced.

Chris - too hammy, even for a Charleston.

Mike - I love his enthusiasm, but he can't dance.

Will - good last week, but I really didn't get this one at all.  Hated it.

At risk:

Could be any of James, David, Anneka, Chris and Emma W.

What @Occasional Hope said, especially regarding James. While it's great that he at least looked as though he was having fun, he cannot dance at all and needs to be put out of his -- and our -- misery.

And he was.

Followed by Anneka last week, also a good goodbye.

My belated thoughts on this/last week:

FANTASTIC

Kelvin.  Just wow.  

EXCELLENT/GOOD

Michelle - very professional

Catherine - a gorgeous balletic and dramatic routine, love the way Johannes holds himself

Alex - it was a bit contempowaft but very well done

Chris - very nice

Emma W - nice waltz.  I want more animals please.

OK

Dev - quite good apart from stupid staging

Emma B - weirdly entertaining

Karim - a big disappointment this week, after being my favourite, this was just not as good.

BAD

Saffron - not very good

David - very stiff, all he can really do dancewise is lifts

Will - silly, looked awful

Mike - can't dance, but props for the enthusiasm and commitment

Anneka - dreadful.  Jumping around is not dancing.

• Love 1

Most of them are improving.

EXCELLENT

Emma B - really loved this Viennese waltz, so emotional

Karim - after a bad week last week, the boy is BACK with a fierce tango

Saffron - a lovely contemporary, apart from clumsy landing of the lift

Kelvin - very very well danced, but I wasn't quite feeling  the chemistry

GOOD

Catherine - entertaining

Dev - really quite sexy after that ridiculously overmarked blue monstrosity last week

Michelle - good, but I felt a bit stiff compared with previous weeks

David - still quite stiff and jumpy but SO MUCH BETTER than ever before

Emma W - a bit out of time at the start, but pretty good

OK

Chris - awkward but not too bad; potentially AT RISK partly due to going first

Will - posture is not great and looked awkward, but not terrible - also AT RISK

POOR

Mike - definitely a big improvement, but still a bit run-and-jump rather than dancing, and way overmarked, that was ridiculous

Alex - oh dear, very clumpy, AT RISK and my pick to go home, unfortunately

• Love 1