Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Turks and Consequences

• Start Topic

Hannah takes everyone to Turks and Caicos for her dirty 30s birthday celebration. But when Louis pulls an all-nighter to make the flight from his trade show in Florida, he ditches Hannah's birthday dinner and gets the night off to a rough start.  As tensions grow between Catherine and Lyle, Brandon confronts Lyle about his behavior, leading everyone to point fingers and take shots. 

Original air date 2018.08.27

Hannah seems so rigid that it seems so strange to see her whooping and throwing her hands up in the air in an attempt to seem free spirited. Even her drunk self seemed a bit ‘trying’.

Lyle looked drunk the entire episode. Drunken Lyle is actually kind of impressive compared to the other reality tv show train wrecks that we see while drunk in front of the cameras, lol. 

I really enjoy Brandon. He’s a great personality for reality TV. I really enjoy his interactions with Catherine. Though why Brandon thought it was a good idea to talk about Lyle and Catherine’s relationship at Hannah’s birthday party was just awkward. 

Louis legit looked like he was knocked out all night which seems to validate his excuse of being too tired. When you’re running on low, it’s hard to keep going once you’ve given your body a taste of rest. 

Hannah’s mom and friends reaction to her says enough - Hannah wants too much. It’s not enough to have a goal, but she wants to be able to dictate the process as well and that’s far harder to achieve when you want to achieve those goals with another human being because you can’t want to control someone else and think that’s a healthy long-term plan. I'm not even sure I trust Hannah's account of how things are in her relationship with Louis because she seems really stuck to wanting everything she wants, when she wants it and anything less is seen as a really big compromise to her. Last year she wanted him to take responsibility with his career and when he made his business full-time, he questioned whether he would be able to see it through. But he was working toward the vision of what she saw in her future husband. That work comes at the expense of having the time needed to give to everyone else in your life. It's not that other shouldn't be a priority but most entrepreneurs who have to hustle at trade shows and working public events to promote and sell their items will tell you that it takes a lot of commitment and perseverance. You have to be willing to accept less time with him for the short term in order to gain something good for your future in the long term. I can appreciate that her feelings are authentic and are her truth, but I question how much of it is not exaggeration in her own mind. All that said, I don't see what much there is cry over with Louis. He doesn't seem like that great of a catch. Is Hannah in love with the person or is she in love with the companionship and too scared to start over because she's already put so much time into this relationship? 

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 9

So since Hannah isn’t all over Louis all the time, then she must be “asexual”...got it. Dude, she’s just not that into you; and who can blame her?! He’s gross.

Brandon’s a fun travel buddy.

That’s literally all I got from this episode. Oh and kadooz to Hagood for boldly eating raw conch.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

So since Hannah isn’t all over Louis all the time, then she must be “asexual”...got it. Dude, she’s just not that into you; and who can blame her?! He’s gross.

Brandon’s a fun travel buddy.

That’s literally all I got from this episode. Oh and kadooz to Hagood for boldly eating raw conch.

I got the impression that she isn’t physical with him period.   She seemed shocked that he went there, but I felt for Louis in this episode.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

On the other hand, while they were having their "talk", she told him she loves him and wants to make it work. He said he loves her, too, and is in it 100%. Then the fighting begins all over again. Same as those idiots Catherine and Lyle. What are these people, 14 yrs old? 

I think Brandon is a shit stirrer and kind of mean. He had no business at the table telling Lyle he was abusive to Catherine. That's a pretty serious accusation to throw out there at a table full of people trying to have a fun dinner. I don't like him. Actually, I don't like any of them. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I think Brandon is a shit stirrer and kind of mean. He had no business at the table telling Lyle he was abusive to Catherine. That's a pretty serious accusation to throw out there at a table full of people trying to have a fun dinner. I don't like him. Actually, I don't like any of them. 

Yeah, that was fun birthday dinner shit stirring. I gained respect for Hagood, who is newer to the group, for being willing to stand up for Lyle in the moment instead of just opining about it later in her talking head.  

• Love 5

I watch too much Bravo because I was shocked that they all packed like normal people for a weekend getaway, rather than a mound of luggage that is typical on these shows.

Hannah’s friend is gorgeous. And Hannah and her sister look so much like their mom.

Why on earth did Louis not just leave his car in Orlando, get a flight to and from there, and then drive home after the weekend trip?

I agree with Daniel, Catherine does not take accountablity for anything and placesall the blame on Lyle who at least acknowledges their dynamic is fucked up on both their parts.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I watch too much Bravo because I was shocked that they all packed like normal people for a weekend getaway, rather than a mound of luggage that is typical on these shows.

Hannah’s friend is gorgeous. And Hannah and her sister look so much like their mom.

Why on earth did Louis not just leave his car in Orlando, get a flight to and from there, and then drive home after the weekend trip?

I agree with Daniel, Catherine does not take accountablity for anything and placesall the blame on Lyle who at least acknowledges their dynamic is fucked up on both their parts.

Louis CK does a great bit about hearing about young couples’ “problems”. I don’t want to say it here, because I’ll forget parts and it won’t be as funny, but it’s basically that all you’ve invested is time. You don’t have kids, a house, a life together. Nobody wants to hear you constantly complaining. Just break up and move on. Stop analysing your life to death. If you’re this miserable while dating you’re not going to be MORE happy later on when you have more shit to deal with. 

• Love 8

I was also baffled as to why Louis didn't just fly to and from Orlando.  There have to be flights from Orlando to T&C, right?  It's a 5 hour drive from Orlando to Savannah, so he could have just done it when he got back, or, maybe even shipped back the remaining convention stuff and taken a one way rental down. Or, even if he drove, he could have just gone right to the house and slept during the afternoon and then gotten up for dinner, rather than sleeping through dinner.  I don't blame the guy for being tired, but, it seemed weird that of all the things he'd miss, dinner was it.  I'd have skipped the lunch in favor of the big birthday dinner. 

I think in real life Brandon would be exhausting and shady and I wouldn't want to be around him for long, but, on the show I like him.  He kind of keeps things moving and brings out some of the issues that we "need" to know about.  Lyle and Catherine would just dither on with the whole "I asked her to marry me and she said no, but I don't know why" and "I WANT to marry him, but just . . . not yet" for season after season if no one spilled that both of them are screwing other people.  So, Brandon is great for getting this sort of dynamic out there and moving things like this forward.  When it comes to Lyle and Catherine, though, I think they're both horrible and both have been abusive to each other.  I don't disagree with what Brandon said about Lyle, but, I also don't doubt that she has treated him pretty much the same, it just hasn't been openly.  Catherine strikes me very much as the kid who would provoke other kids behind a parent or teacher's back and then when the other kid retaliates, she ran and told, while crying about how she was the victim.  And, at times, I'm sure she was.  I just don't think she was all the time, and I think she leaves that part out when she's telling other people about things.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I got the impression that she isn’t physical with him period.   She seemed shocked that he went there, but I felt for Louis in this episode.

She should be shocked that he went there on camera.  Up until that point, I was OK with Louis but I really think he crossed a line.  Look, if that's truly an issue with them, it's a big problem and something they must discuss and discover what's going on, but I would be extremely pissed off that viewers should be privy to that information.

• Love 6

I don’t get couples like this. You should want to jump each other’s bones. If you don’t...then you *might* be asexual (doubtful). Or have a very low sex drive. Or most likely, just not that into each other-at least on one person’s end (Hannah). 

But, so, why be together?!! Why keep pursuing the relationship??! 

I.DON’T.GET.IT. 

Hannah and Catherine, you are only young once. Your youth slips away in a blink. Damn, I wish I understood that better back in my crazy 20’s. So STOP throwing these great years down the drain with Lyle and Louis. Move on, my god. You’ll be sorry soon if you don’t. 

I actually thought Louis looked cute in the baseball hat. 

When Hagood ate the conch I started dry heaving. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 5

Brandon's crossing all kinds of normal-life boundaries in an effort to keep his SC spot. And he is so far up Catherine's (Daddy's money) behind that he never sees the sun shine.

Which is worse: the woman who doesn't want sex or the man WHO STICKS AROUND FOR THREE YEARS? I think Hannah's tears were because Louis brought this up on camera; it shocked her.

Either these people have a severe case of the old southern tradition of "wait-forever-to-marry-who-you-think-you're-supposed-to-marry" or two of these relationships are no longer real but are being faked for the cameras.

They need to dial way back on the relationship drama, which we all had enough of in middle school.

Catherine speaks entirely in catch phrases and silly voices. Brandon copies her.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Sage47 said:

I don’t get couples like this. You should want to jump each other’s bones. If you don’t...then you *might* be asexual (doubtful). Or have a very low sex drive. Or most likely, just not that into each other-at least on one person’s end (Hannah). 

But, so, why be together?!! Why keep pursuing the relationship??! 

I.DON’T.GET.IT. 

Hannah and Catherine, you are only young once. Your youth slips away in a blink. Damn, I wish I understood that better back in my crazy 20’s. So STOP throwing these great years down the drain with Lyle and Louis. Move on, my god. You’ll be sorry soon if you don’t. 

I actually thought Louis looked cute in the baseball hat. 

When Hagood ate the conch I started dry heaving. 

I really can't understand why Catherine and Lyle do the song and dance that they do considering that their time together has also been shared with other romantic interests so it's not like they have been fully committed to each other. They can't go a single event in the same room without flirting and tempting each other and that leads me to think that it's more about the chase that they both love and find exciting. There's a sense of triumph each time they take turns walking away from one another only to end up back in each other's bed.  With Hannah and Louis, they've been together for 3 years monogamously and even during this break, they aren't seeing other people. I can more understand why Hannah is sticking around because it's what many people are prone to doing, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. Hannah envisioned herself married with children by now. She's invested 3 years into a man who has qualities that she loved and likely still does but all of the issues that have led to this 'break' are no doubt all things that she would have seen at the start of their relationship and she chose to ignore it. She focused on all the positive things and convinced herself that she could see a life with him even though there was so much shit that he (and perhaps the two as a couple) needed to figure out. 3 years later, her wheels are spinning and she feels no closer to marriage and kids but it's a much scarier option to walk away and start all over because for her, it just puts her further back from that fantasy she has for herself.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I really can't understand why Catherine and Lyle do the song and dance that they do considering that their time together has also been shared with other romantic interests so it's not like they have been fully committed to each other. They can't go a single event in the same room without flirting and tempting each other and that leads me to think that it's more about the chase that they both love and find exciting. There's a sense of triumph each time they take turns walking away from one another only to end up back in each other's bed.  With Hannah and Louis, they've been together for 3 years monogamously and even during this break, they aren't seeing other people. I can more understand why Hannah is sticking around because it's what many people are prone to doing, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. Hannah envisioned herself married with children by now. She's invested 3 years into a man who has qualities that she loved and likely still does but all of the issues that have led to this 'break' are no doubt all things that she would have seen at the start of their relationship and she chose to ignore it. She focused on all the positive things and convinced herself that she could see a life with him even though there was so much shit that he (and perhaps the two as a couple) needed to figure out. 3 years later, her wheels are spinning and she feels no closer to marriage and kids but it's a much scarier option to walk away and start all over because for her, it just puts her further back from that fantasy she has for herself.

The only reason Catherine and Lyle get any air time is because of their relationship, I think that's the reason they keep doing this. There's nothing interesting about either of them outside of the relationship (which isn't interesting, I'm just saying there would be no reason to film them.) I came late to this show, and am only watching this season, so I don't know how things started for everyone, however Hagood is the only truly interesting person out of the group. She's talented, beautiful, and has a lot going for her. And she's trying to find herself and what she genuinely cares about doing for a career. The rest of the group don't really have anything going for them outside of being in a shitty relationship or else talking about a shitty relationship. At least the original Southern Charm cast had some interesting people and group dynamics, and they are always going to fun events.

• Love 2

I wonder what happened with Hannah and Louis because he said she had not been into him physically for the last three years, they have been together for 5 so there was a time where she was into him but she vaguely just said “you know why,” it’s so hard to follow their issues because it seems we aren’t getting the full story.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I wonder what happened with Hannah and Louis because he said she had not been into him physically for the last three years, they have been together for 5 so there was a time where she was into him but she vaguely just said “you know why,” it’s so hard to follow their issues because it seems we aren’t getting the full story.

From several things she has said, apparently he parties without her a lot, and he is difficult to get in to contact with. It's a turn off to her. She said something to one of her friends a few eps ago that she didn't want to end up married and pregnant, home all alone every night wondering where her husband was. Keep those thoughts, Hannah. It won't get any better after you're married. 

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

From several things she has said, apparently he parties without her a lot, and he is difficult to get in to contact with. It's a turn off to her. She said something to one of her friends a few eps ago that she didn't want to end up married and pregnant, home all alone every night wondering where her husband was. Keep those thoughts, Hannah. It won't get any better after you're married. 

I realize that but from the way they talked about the two years thing it seemed like a specific event that had changed things.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

The only reason Catherine and Lyle get any air time is because of their relationship, I think that's the reason they keep doing this. There's nothing interesting about either of them outside of the relationship (which isn't interesting, I'm just saying there would be no reason to film them.) I came late to this show, and am only watching this season, so I don't know how things started for everyone, however Hagood is the only truly interesting person out of the group. She's talented, beautiful, and has a lot going for her. And she's trying to find herself and what she genuinely cares about doing for a career. The rest of the group don't really have anything going for them outside of being in a shitty relationship or else talking about a shitty relationship. At least the original Southern Charm cast had some interesting people and group dynamics, and they are always going to fun events.

Maybe they'd be more interesting if they were willing to be authentic. I think the Charleston and New Orleans crew were more interesting to me, partly because whether for better or worse, they were willing to be themselves, even if that meant they looked like genuine assholes at times. I think that's why I find Brandon and Hagood to be the most interesting. Brandon risks looking like an asshole with his catty comments, penchant for gossip and his shamelessness to accuse someone of being abusive to his friend while at the birthday dinner of someone else. Hagood is interesting to me because she risks coming across as a rich brat crying over having to inherit her family's successful rice farm when all she really wants is for her parents to continue to help finance her living in the city while she pursues a romanticized notion of being a sake connoisseur. Her 'problems' don't relate to the to the struggles of the average person but it's interesting because it at least seems real. The couples on this show want to make themselves relevant by allowing their relationship to be a centre of discussion but also want to limit how much they truly discuss.

• Love 7

I honestly haven’t even finished this episode because I got so caught up with wanting to throw things at my television during the first lunch they had. It’s like the whole “me too” movement skipped Savannah. “No means yes. Yes means anal.” Really, Lyle? That same exact rape joke got frats at Yale and other colleges suspended. And this, right after he talks about Hannah getting on her knees. And again, dude got kicked out of their beloved Savannah Country Day for taking pictures up skirts. He’s disgusting, but watching Catherine and others laugh at that joke might have even been worse.  This isn’t even a case of arrested development- he’s just a bad person. 

• Love 9

I’m just shocked Lyle and Louis ever even got chicks period. They’ve got no game, they’re fugly, they’re not rich and they sure as shit aren’t charming. Every week I watch them I get annoyed because I want to understand why these gross dudebros are infesting my television screen. Like as gross as he is with his own eye-rolling misogyny, at least Thomas Ravenel made for really good TV and brought both family money and a certain good old boy humor to the screen. These guys are just complete losers. Of course, not that Catherine and Hannah are much to brag about either...

It’s a shame that Hagood and Brandon don’t have a better cast to play off of—-I completely agree that the rest of this cast come off as so boring because they’re so cagey and careful about not revealing their true selves onscreen. On the flip side, Ashley was *too* messy last season and was obviously playing a character. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 10

Hannah's sister looks like a younger Katie Holmes.  

Louie is gross and Hannah is way too cute to stick with him especially after he talked about something so private on camera.  I can only wonder if they are so desperate to make the cut for next season that they are making up this whole "asexual" storyline and are in on it together but why pick a story line that is so intimate?  If Hannah and Louis split other guys are going to wonder if she will be like that with them and that's not a fair assumption.  

Good for Catherine I wouldn't want a guys privates in my bathing suit either, EW!  I do not see what she sees in Lyle.  The whole relationship seems toxic on both sides.  Just rip off the bandaid.

I hope Hannah's best friend Robin is a cast mate next year.   

• Love 2
13 hours ago, PickleDeeDee said:

Hannah's sister looks like a younger Katie Holmes.  

Louie is gross and Hannah is way too cute to stick with him especially after he talked about something so private on camera.  I can only wonder if they are so desperate to make the cut for next season that they are making up this whole "asexual" storyline and are in on it together but why pick a story line that is so intimate?  If Hannah and Louis split other guys are going to wonder if she will be like that with them and that's not a fair assumption.  

Good for Catherine I wouldn't want a guys privates in my bathing suit either, EW!  I do not see what she sees in Lyle.  The whole relationship seems toxic on both sides.  Just rip off the bandaid.

I hope Hannah's best friend Robin is a cast mate next year.   

I can see the “asexual” thing being real. Hannah seems so high strung and demanding, I can see her only having sex if everything is perfect and she feels completely relaxed (ironic, given how much sex relieves stress). I can also see her withholding sex to get what she wants, either consciously or not. And it’s also well known that the longer you go without sex the less libido you feel. So, all those things combined and I can see Hannah never having sex or wanting physical relationships with men. 

• Love 1

Catherine and Lyle deserve each other.  They might as well get married and go away.  I feel for anyone that gets involved with them in the future.  If Catherine & Lyle married other people they would probably sneak off and bang anytime they crossed paths at a party.  It would be the thrill for them.  They have convinced themselves that they are destined to be together.  Yet I don't think they even like each other.  

• Love 2