Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: "Did You Not Plan for This Contingency?"

• Start Topic

So it starts Sunday, February 8 and Monday, February 9 (see http://www.amctv.com/shows/better-call-saul). And then what? I had noted February 17, which is a Tuesday, but now not likely. The way the networks schedule shows these days is worse than when the grocery store rearranges everything because they think you'll buy stuff you never noticed before. I just wind up not buying (or watching) the stuff I came to get. I guess it works for folks with DVRs they get from cable companies.

• Love 1

‘Better Call Saul’ Ratings Shatter Cable Demo Records In Live+3

With the 3-day digital time shifting viewing numbers in, Better Call Saul drew 9.8 million total viewers for its February 8 debut. While a 42% rise from the Live + Same Day numbers, the BB prequel really hit the jackpot with the 40% jump among the 18-49s to 6.1 million and the 43% leap among the 25-54s to 5.7 million. Those results eclipse the October 31, 2010 Live + 3 results of 4.255 million among the 18-49s that The Walking Dead snared for AMC and the 4.199 million among the 25-54s that TNT’s Falling Skies snagged on its May 19, 2011 debut.…

The second night of the BCS 2-night premiere also saw big upward movement for the show in Live + 3 results. With 5.8 million in total viewers, the February 10 first broadcast show was up 69% from its Live + SD numbers. Among the 18-49s, BCS’s Monday night debut was up 76% to 3.6 million and up 84% among the 25-54s to 3.4 million.

As things stand right now, BCS is the second highest rated cable show among the key demo in Live + 3 results with 4.962 million to The Walking Dead’s 12.767 million.

• Love 1

I know there has been a lot of discussion about whether or not this episode or that episode would appeal to BrB viewers/non-BrB viewers but in terms of overall viewers, it looks to be holding pretty steady--only losing 300K viewers in L3 from the second episode to the 5th.

Not quite sure how the 18-49 translates when it comes to ratings/# of viewers but I'd imagine AMC is pretty pleased with this for a Monday night show.

I'm so used to a mass of shows I'd like to watch being on Sunday evening (or Wednesday) that it puts a smile on my face when I realize that it's Monday and BCS is on. (The same thing happens on Friday with Amazing Race. )  But there are only 4 more episodes and then we have to wait what? another year? before season 2 begins. Sometimes cable TV with their short series runs really sucks.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

I know there has been a lot of discussion about whether or not this episode or that episode would appeal to BrB viewers/non-BrB viewers but in terms of overall viewers, it looks to be holding pretty steady--only losing 300K viewers in L3 from the second episode to the 5th.

Not quite sure how the 18-49 translates when it comes to ratings/# of viewers but I'd imagine AMC is pretty pleased with this for a Monday night show.

Ratings: AMC's "Better Call Saul" Rises in Demo, Loses Viewers

For the fifth consecutive time (fourth in the regular Monday night timeslot), the “Breaking Bad” spin-off failed to match its predecessor’s audience total.

This week’s episode did, however, buck one negative trend. It ended its erosion in adults 18-49 — and actually reached additional members of the coveted young adults demo.

Monday’s “Saul” drew a 1.26 adults 18-49 rating with 2.57 million viewers. The performance offers the aforementioned mixed comparison to the previous episode, which drew a lesser 1.22 rating but a greater viewership total of 2.71 million.

Despite its repeated viewership declines, “Better Call Saul” remains a very strong player for AMC (and for the cable landscape in general). It once again ranked as one of Monday night’s top three cable programs (along with “Love & Hip-Hop” and WWE RAW).

Edited by editorgrrl

Thanks editorgrrl.  The live viewing has come down a bit but when I speak about it holding viewers, it's that the Live viewing, plus 3 days after, indicate that viewers are only shifting when they watch the show.  They haven't given up on it.

• Love 1

The live viewing has come down a bit but when I speak about it holding viewers, it's that the Live viewing, plus 3 days after, indicate that viewers are only shifting when they watch the show. They haven't given up on it.

A&E debuted a new show opposite BCS this week, The Returned, with season 3 of Bates Motel (the Psycho prequel) as its lead-in.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/weekly-ratings-big-bang-theory-ncis-los-angeles-key-cbs-victory-in-demos-1201454460/

“Better Call Saul” continues to perform well for [AMC] on Mondays (1.3/4 in 18-49, 2.57 million viewers overall), and once again doubled its same-night ratings in Live+3, hitting a 2.6 rating in adults 18-49 and 5.22 million total viewers. It’s been at the same 2.6 rating for three weeks now, which puts it behind only “Walking Dead” and “Talking Dead” among all cable series.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/17/monday-cable-ratings-wwe-raw-wins-night-better-call-saul-bates-motel-love-hip-hop-the-fosters-more/375912/

Monday Night RAW was Monday's top cable original, matching last week's 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Better Call Saul came in second, earning a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating, even with last week.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/03/18/ratings-amcs-better-call-saul-rises-following-last-weeks-classic/

This Monday’s “Saul” scored a 1.31 adults 18-49 rating with 2.67 million viewers.

While the performance only slightly bests that of last week’s episode, which drew a 1.26 adults 18-49 rating and 2.57 million viewers, it represents the first week-over-week viewership gain for the AMC series.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

I don't think you can read too much into it.  As the article itself points out, last year's premier followed The Walking Dead which draws monster numbers for cable.  This year it was on its own opposite of the Grammys and drew numbers fairly comparable to regular ratings for regular episodes last season.

• Love 1

i think we need to wait and see what the L+3 shows but even if AMC would cancel it (and I really very much doubt they would), I think this is the kind of show with the kidn of pedigree that would get snapped up by Netflix, who streams it internationally, in a jiffy.

• Love 1

I don't think you can read too much into it.  As the article itself points out, last year's premier followed The Walking Dead which draws monster numbers for cable.  This year it was on its own opposite of the Grammys and drew numbers fairly comparable to regular ratings for regular episodes last season.

If I recall, last year a lot of the Walking Dead fans were angry because they wanted to watch Talking Dead right after TWD, and instead had to sit through Better Call Saul while being bitter about it.  I'm a fan of both shows (and of Talking Dead), so I was fine with however the schedule worked that night, but it definitely would explain why BCS had larger numbers/ratings than it might have had ordinarily (most likely).  And, also, as you said this year it was on against The Grammys one night and it competes with The Bachelor every week -- which, goofy though it may be, is a huge hit for ABC -- but BCS seems to be doing okay.  Not fantastic, but okay.  Respectable enough for early on in the season.

Breaking Bad took a while to significantly climb in the ratings, didn't it?  Wasn't it at least a couple of seasons?

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

i think we need to wait and see what the L+3 shows but even if AMC would cancel it (and I really very much doubt they would), I think this is the kind of show with the kidn of pedigree that would get snapped up by Netflix, who streams it internationally, in a jiffy.

Good point. They were very interested in the show while it was in development.

I honestly don't care about the ratings as long as the story gets to play out and conclude on the writer's terms.

• Love 1

On one hand I feel like this show is somewhat ratings-proof, and will get its run to tell the story it needs.

On the other hand I worry about the shortened second season.

Based on the podcast, it sounds like the reason the second season is short is that they realized their hopes for a 13 ep season were a bit too ambitious. 

Based on the podcast, it sounds like the reason the second season is short is that they realized their hopes for a 13 ep season were a bit too ambitious.

As in, they'd rather wrap up a neat ten episode arc instead of stuffing too much into thirteen, hopefully leaving the rest for a third season?

I hope that's in the ballpark. Not really feeling the podcast just to find that out.

As in, they'd rather wrap up a neat ten episode arc instead of stuffing too much into thirteen, hopefully leaving the rest for a third season?

I hope that's in the ballpark. Not really feeling the podcast just to find that out.

Or maybe 13 episodes would have felt too drawn out and meandering, whereas 10 more tightly woven episodes would fit the direction of this season a bit better?  I don't know.  I had really wondered about the drop in the number of episodes too -- and it wasn't even like they went from 13 down to 12.  They just went back to 10, like from last season. I think that Gould said (maybe on Twitter or some form of social media?) that they would be "10 big episodes." 

Honestly, I really don't know.  They didn't really explain what they meant by ambitious.  It could be that their story worked better in ten episodes than thirteen, although i would think if anyone were capable of fun filler episodes, it'd be this crew.  But I got the sense that they were behind or that things weren't moving as quickly as they wanted it to in the writers room and ten just felt right. 

I only listened to parts of the podcast, did this imply a season 3 was totally off the table?
  • Love 1

I only listened to parts of the podcast, did this imply a season 3 was totally off the table?

No.  They discussed the possibility of 4 or 5 seasons if they're lucky to get that.  But the "lucky to get that" seemed like Gilligan's normal humbleness.

• Love 1

I think AMC can afford to extend (and take an initial loss on) deeper fare like Saul when that little zombie show is paying the bills.

Coral, what do you call ten lawyers at the bottom of a quarry pit?

Edited by SignGuy77