Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Week 4: Part 1

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AllyCat said:

Kevin is a budget Tom Brady.

I would definitely take that deal.  Kevin is obviously not a Tr*mp supporter after his Trudeau speech

Leo is such an asshole LOL it's so ridiculous how much.

It was a good episode, because no Colton/Tia.  That was awesome.

Eric is looking hot, hot, hot.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
41 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

Who is the brunette in preview for tomorrow who has turned Eric's head?

I think it’s Cassandra, from Juan Pablo’s season. She was the former NBA cheerleader who had a son.

• Love 4

When Jordan first met Jenna, there's a voice over of him saying "I can't imagine any girl more suitable for me than Jenna."

Now this week he comments about how Jenna "is tailored for me".   (Or maybe he commented on how well tailored they were as a couple, I can't quite remember.)

He really does live and breathe his job, doesn't he? :-)

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, adhoc said:

When Jordan first met Jenna, there's a voice over of him saying "I can't imagine any girl more suitable for me than Jenna."

Now this week he comments about how Jenna "is tailored for me".   (Or maybe he commented on how well tailored they were as a couple, I can't quite remember.)

He really does live and breathe his job, doesn't he? :-)

Well, he definitely only sees Jenna as an accessory to his life. I don’t think he’s asked her one question about herself or taken an interest in anything about her except her looks. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JenE4 said:

Benoit is playing an aggressive game of catch with the ocean. Take THAT!

LOL!

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I cant believe I am saying this, but Chris is no longer the biggest ass in Paradise! Make way for Leo, coming to several watch lists near you!

Word.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes indeed.

49 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

What did we learn today, everyone? 

For one thing, that Leo is a extra strength dickhead.

Loved the whole post, but this was my favorite.

• Love 7

Chris: I can't understand why Krystal would want to date anyone else when she has me.

Audience: Because you're a giant douche canoe.

Seriously, Chris is just gross. Leo is aggressive and gross. Jordan is a man-child, what a tantrum he had when he saw Jenna kissing Benoit - dude Benoit does not owe you an explanation, talk to Jenna if you want to find out what is up.

• Love 14

So Annalise is willing to date any man that shows up because there is a 00000.1 chance he might marry her? Ok then. 

Odd edit with the John/Jubilee break up. Dislike most of these guys except Joe, Eric and yes I’ll admit it Colton. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

So my cynical brain is saying that if Kenny had hooked up with somebody more attractive, confident and self possessed than Analiese, he would have conveniently been able to miss that recital.  He knew it was happening, but it was a nice excuse to bolt if he wanted one. 

Kenny knows they can't talk without an offically sanctioned Bachelor Nation event so it will just have to be goodbye I guess.

So, this popped into my brain when contemplating how these people forget that the actual world has cell phones that you can pick up and CALL someone. They also forget there are other ways to "find love". I think it's in the contracts that it's like the play Brigadoon, if one person leaves the miracle is over. So they know if they attempted to talk to someone outside of the confines of Bachelor Nation everyone will come after them and keep them from ending the "miracle" (though I personally use such a word very sarcastically).

The miracle is over, I'm going to date someone that doesn't have a passport to Bachelor Nation!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I would definitely take that deal.  Kevin is obviously not a Tr*mp supporter after his Trudeau speech

Leo is such an asshole LOL it's so ridiculous how much.

It was a good episode, because no Colton/Tia.  That was awesome.

I should clarify...I have nothing against Kevin, I was just making a joke because he looks like a less pretty version of Tom Brady.  From everything I’ve seen, Kevin seems to be one of the better options.  I’d take Trudeau over all of them if that were an option ;)

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Let's not go crazy my Dear ;)  (just being tongue in cheek) 

Speaking of tongues, I wish Jenna would keep hers confined to her mouth, the thing is always lolling about like a chihuahua with Hanging Tongue Syndrome.

Edited by piewarmer
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, adhoc said:

The more I look at Jenna, the more I'm convinced she had some sort of brow lift. I mean, does botox really lift your eyebrows like that?

It can! Google 'botox spock brow.' As a Botox user myself...yikes.

• Love 2

Leo is repulsive. 

These people sure get fixated on dating within the Bachelor community. 

Honestly, they should have them do things like play volleyball or go on scavenger hunts- something for us to watch. 

• Love 12
23 minutes ago, mertensia said:

Honestly, they should have them do things like play volleyball or go on scavenger hunts- something for us to watch. 

I know, right?  The show is so boring, and the contestants seem bored as well.

• Love 3

I must have blinked and missed Jubilee leaving?? Unless it was during the 45 seconds my husband popped his head in to tell me something.

I was shocked at how  much Kevin impressed me last night. And I still love Joe.

Not even worth giving Leo a second of my thoughts!!

I think Chelsea is beautiful. I wonder why the guys do not seem to be attracted to her.

• Love 12

I’m kind of scared that I’m liking Krystal. She looks so much better natural, and....she was completely up front and honest with both men. Love how she admitted she was surprised at her connection with Chris when she had actually been waiting for Connor (cough, listen up Kendall, cough).  I’m going to be watching future episodes and seasons to see if others do the same without giving it away (Tia).

what does gaslighting mean and where did term come from?

Lesson here for future BIPers, it’s fine to shove your tongue down anyone’s throat as long as your backup is aware of what’s going on

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Riplet68 said:

I’m kind of scared that I’m liking Krystal. She looks so much better natural, and....she was completely up front and honest with both men. Love how she admitted she was surprised at her connection with Chris when she had actually been waiting for Connor (cough, listen up Kendall, cough).  I’m going to be watching future episodes and seasons to see if others do the same without giving it away (Tia).

what does gaslighting mean and where did term come from?

Lesson here for future BIPers, it’s fine to shove your tongue down anyone’s throat as long as your backup is aware of what’s going on

Thank you Google..... seems the term has been around but has recently become more popular to use.

Gaslighting is a malicious and hidden form of mental and emotional abuse, designed to plant seeds of self-doubt and alter your perception of reality. 

The term originates in the systematic psychological manipulation of a victim by her husband in the 1938 stage play Gaslight, known as Angel Street in the United States,and the film adaptations released in 1940 and 1944.

• Love 3

When Kendall confronted Leo about misleading her about their 'connection' without admitting to her that he kissed Chelsea, Leo gaslit Kendall by trying to turn the conversation back to her, that she's been lying to him this whole time (about what?????) and that she's a great actor by pretending to like him (based on what????????).  Instead of simply discussing Leo kissing Chelsea, Kendall finding out about it, and being hurt by the information.  He's trying to be a master manipulator/gaslighter.

It's not like I'm Kendall's biggest fan, I can't figure her out at all, but she doesn't seem to be a bad person and Leo was just a trainwreck asshole to her.  And to Kevin too.

It was this article in 2011 that first made me aware of the term.  I've forwarded it to so many women ever since.  And yes, it was taken from that play/movie.  Sorry if I'm wrong about the plot but I understand it to mean that a man was trying to get his wife's inheritance so he wanted her to be committed.  To accomplish that he would turn the gaslights on and off at will to make her think she was going crazy (LOL sorry if I'm butchering it.)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/yashar-hedayat/a-message-to-women-from-a_1_b_958859.html

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

Yep, I'll add that the 1944 version of Gaslight is excellent:

"After the death of her famous opera-singing aunt, (Ingrid Bergman) is sent to study in Italy to become a great opera singer as well. While there, she falls in love with the charming (Charles Boyer). The two return to London, and Bergman begins to notice strange goings-on: missing pictures, strange footsteps in the night and gaslights that dim without being touched. As she fights to retain her sanity, her new husband's intentions come into question."

I always think of Gaslight when restaurants dim their lights or anyone uses a dimmer switch lol

What was interesting is that Chelsea offered to take the blame for Leo having kissed her. Why??  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You know, I hadn't given that much thought to Eric before the last couple episodes.  Now that he's getting more screen time (still not enough though), I can see that he's really attractive and, more importantly, seems like a nice guy.   

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, jette said:

Yep, I'll add that the 1944 version of Gaslight is excellent:

"After the death of her famous opera-singing aunt, (Ingrid Bergman) is sent to study in Italy to become a great opera singer as well. While there, she falls in love with the charming (Charles Boyer). The two return to London, and Bergman begins to notice strange goings-on: missing pictures, strange footsteps in the night and gaslights that dim without being touched. As she fights to retain her sanity, her new husband's intentions come into question."

I always think of Gaslight when restaurants dim their lights or anyone uses a dimmer switch lol

What was interesting is that Chelsea offered to take the blame for Leo having kissed her. Why??  

Chelsea probably just wanted to help and make the argument stop. I understand why she wanted to interject to help Kevin and all, but this is why assholes like Leo get away with being assholes. There are enough people out there that don’t like to see conflict, that when someone is starts acting out the way Leo does, their response is just to give in, take the blame, and try to “resolve” the problem. Only it doesn’t resolve anything. It just emboldens a guy like Leo that he’s never wrong and he can get away with anything if he just yells and threatens enough. 

• Love 12

I ended a bad relationship last year, and I thought I was going insane.  He would text his exes, hide it from me, and when I'd find out, he'd turn things back on me, blaming me for things that didn't even exist.  Then, in the same conversation, he'd contradict something he, himself had just said moments earlier, and when I'd call him on it, he acted like I was crazy.  I used to tell him that every single time this happened, all he did was: Deflect, Defensive, Blame.  One night, I googled those 3 words, and I got Gaslighting.  I then youtubed the movies (turns out, there are 2 versions), and sat on a Sunday watching it all.  It was like a massive lightbulb over my head.

In the movie, he wanted some jewels that he believed to be hidden in her house, so he kept turning on and off the gaslights from another room, but telling her she was insane when she'd bring it up.  His motive was to prove her insanity so he could legally gain access to all her assets.

Leo did precisely that, last night with Kendall.  Deflect, Defense, Blame.  His first lie was that it was "only a peck", when there is clear camera footage of hot tub make-out.  

Kendall was at least honest about it all with Joe.  Yes, Joe's feelings were hurt, but she never tried to hide anything from him.  That's the difference.

And Leo is gaslighting everybody.  A sociopath's first defense is blame.  They are never responsible for anything.  Leo was out for blood with "whoever" told, and I give Kevin props for telling him.  It's not the messenger's fault, it's Leo's.

Is there anything wrong with Leo having kissed Chelsea?  Not really, in my mind.  The "crime" was in lying to Kendall, and trying to make her take the blame for it.

Leo could have proven us all wrong about him, had he just been honest on that beach-bed thing, and said, "Yeah, I did make out with her last night after our date.  I don't have any explanation, other than to tell you that I want you to know that from here on out, I want it to just be us."  Or.....that I want to still date others.  Whichever version, just a version of honesty.

• Love 21
10 hours ago, Fable said:

And, Leo isn’t wrong, everyone is kissing everyone. 

But if you recall, Leo specifically told Kendall that he is an alpha, and it wouldn't be OK if she was also with someone else while she was with him.  That hypocrisy, turned indignant outrage, expressed so accusatorily is what is wrong...along with his roid-seeming bizarro rage-out in the pool and everywhere else on his rat-seeking quest.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, nutty1 said:

I must have blinked and missed Jubilee leaving?? Unless it was during the 45 seconds my husband popped his head in to tell me something.

It was like for one minute so yes if you blinked, you missed it.  You see Kenny leaving at night then the next morning, someone (I think Astrid) is saying that Jubilee is going too as Venmo John had friend zoned (you see John talking to her for like 20 seconds) and viola she's gone.   They didn't even give Jubliee a good bye talking head piece which pissed me off.  

• Love 14

Blah.  Kendall could see it was going nowhere with a guy who was acting like an ass earlier.  But she had to be right, and fed the drama.  I’m not on Leo’s side, but he is right in theory.  None of them owe any of these strangers explanation for kissing another stranger.  That said he is a creepy ragy fucker, and Kendall is a creepy ass who stuffs sawdust in fucking rats.  She should have just walked away. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, CindyBee said:

Jubilee is going too as Venmo John had friend zoned (you see John talking to her for like 20 seconds) and voila she's gone.   They didn't even give Jubliee a good bye talking head piece which pissed me off.  

Ticked me off too, the lack of focus on the end of VenBilee.

John comes to Paradise because he's been unlucky in love in his life, but he's now gotten rid of Caroline and Jubilee, who are both very attractive, suitable choices.  Makes you realize that some people are single because they may be seeking perfection.  Although I don't get what wouldn't be "perfect" enough about Jubilee....in my eyes, she's the whole package.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 18

I don’t understand why Jubilee left.  Even if John wasn’t into her, there were other available guys, and the women get to choose this week, don’t they?  More people show up all the time.  I wonder what they didn’t show, and why they didn’t show it.

• Love 22

I appreciate Kevin's mature handling of the Leo incident. That said, Kevin's revelation that he sees a therapist twice a week to deal with not being able to find "the one" on the various Bachelor franchise shows makes him sound like a complete moron and a lunatic.  Can he not meet a woman outside of reality television?  He also very much reminds me of a Geico caveman, which is a big turn off. 

• Love 9

I really don't understand how any of these couples could possibly get engaged at the end of this! No one has been intersted in the same person for more than a week at a time and pretty much everyone has made out with or been torn by liking someone else. Unless there is some financial incentive for an engagement none of the island dwellers even seem to like eachother enough to stick to be loyal to one person. Eric and what's her faceaybe but we haven't even seen five minutes of them. Leo, Chris, John, Dave and Jordan are losers though to varying degrees. And the women are just there to make out with everyone who looks twice at them. I like Astrid and Kevin but he seems to be damaged goods and he is Canadian so. I doubt Astrid wants a relationship once the show is over. At least Carly and Evan and jade and tanner were not intersted in others during their paradise trip. (or in Evan and Carlys case no one else would give either the time of day lol) I get wanting to explore ur options but damn these ppl make it hard for me to root for any of them. Kevin is awesome though for exposing skeevy Leo. Krystal is gorgeous. That's all I've got 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sterling said:

Leo could have proven us all wrong about him, had he just been honest on that beach-bed thing, and said, "Yeah, I did make out with her last night after our date.  I don't have any explanation, other than to tell you that I want you to know that from here on out, I want it to just be us."  Or.....that I want to still date others.  Whichever version, just a version of honesty.

This is why I posted that I really admired Jordan's honesty towards Annalise.  He basically said, I'm falling for Jenna, hard, and I have to move on.  A lot of people thought that he was being a jerk, but I'm so used to seeing guys reacting like a Leo.  I thought it was really adult how Jordan handled it.  I'd much have the very harsh truth that Jordan was saying to Annalise rather than the deflecting/blaming/lying/ghosting/ignoring that so many other people do.  It shows respect.  I personally see it as respect if an adult is willing to tell another adult a harsh truth. It means that they respect you enough to believe that you're adult and smart enough to handle it. Sure, he didn't have to be so flowery with how he was feeling about Jenna, but it was the truth.  When you don't know something, or you're left to guess, or you're never confronted with the truth, it tends to make a person kind of nuts.  Jordan didn't do that to Annalise at all.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love Joe...... I hadn't mentioned that this episode yet

You have to give Joe credit for NOT being the one who told Kendall about Leo.  Makes him look good for letting her figure out things for herself.

• Love 16
22 minutes ago, Palomar said:

You have to give Joe credit for NOT being the one who told Kendall about Leo.  Makes him look good for letting her figure out things for herself.

Ah, but now he has to swoop in as her knight in shining armor because she won’t stop trying to get an irrational person with a short fuse to admit she’s right.  The princess is merely hedging her bets.  I absolutely can’t stand her now.  Leo is a dick, but we know that.  Kendall is a manipulative jerk.  

• Love 6

‘Hello, is that the music department?  I need some generic vacation-y beach music.  Hawaiian, you say?  Well, the show is set in Mexico as you may know but what the hell – the audience probably won’t notice.’

Is the ocean rising, is high tide higher these days or is the movement of tectonic plates pushing the – ahem – resort closer to the waterline?  Whatever the cause, these aerial shots show maybe 20 paces of beach (read:  jagged rocks) between the water and the wigwam.

Angela demonstrates that the NFL is actually a damn sight less interesting than a brunette in a red bikini with a flowing mane tossing a football around on a beach.  These poor Bippers aren’t stuck in Folsom Prison but they still ain’t seen the sun shine since they don’t know when thanks to yet another day of heavy cloud cover.  Jenna has converted the stripey canvas of a deck chair into a low-cut swimsuit but thanks to the miracles of modern surgical techniques the suit is required to provide only coverage, not support.  Benoit, egged on by his compatriot Kevin, defends the honor (or honour) of Canada by canoodling with Jenna and her precariously-placed swimsuit straps within easy earshot and eyeshot of Jordan.  Jordan has suddenly tuned out the romantic advice of his new bestest buddy Joe and instead focuses on preventing his jaw from becoming unhinged as he observes Jen & Ben.  His talking-head segments are equally unhinged as he rants and raves against the unpleasant reality that is currently intruding on his reality TV. 

ABC’s producers are, again, entirely comfortable with all manner of exposed breasts according to what might be termed The Instagram Rules but when it comes to posteriors they mask them with a large black rectangle on a par with the monolith from ‘2001:  A Space Odyssey.’  Does the rectangle really need to be constantly resized as it shifts around the screen?  Someone is working way too hard on it.

Astringent Astrid is still clucking her tongue at the various couples but she’s not wrong in saying that Chris & Krystal are two oddballs that have found each other.  CH et al really do need to make up their minds:  if they want love matches, sunset silhouettes, declarations of love, pseudo-proposals on the decking and timpani-and-cymbals crescendos blaring over all of it then they need to stop sending in provocateurs to break up the couples.  In this case it’s Connor and his Wink Martindale haircut walking in for the block.  Krystal is mighty pleased (but not as pleased as Chris) with herself that she can spurn Connor and his abs – or perhaps the fitness instructor didn’t want to be upstaged.  But wait…Krystal exhibits the memory of a goldfish as she fills Chris with relief and hope only to agree to go on Connor’s date.  Connor ‘owes it to himself’ to take a fit bird on a date.  Heroic.  Krystal is talking in staccato bursts as she does under stress.  Her funhouse mirror definition of ‘being respectful to everyone’ means leaving her latest lover in the lurch and trying it on with someone else.  ‘How much can change in a few hours?’ wonders Chris.  Well, this is validation-starved Krystal we’re talking about so the number of changes is conservatively estimated at 92,683.

For her purportedly Platonic date, Krystal is putting it all in the shop window with a few stray threads that expose 90% of her bod.  Let’s hope there won’t be any nighttime equestrianism or we may end up with a Lady Godiva scenario – not that Connor would mind.  If we’re going to enact new rules with every new season, then one rule should be unlimited booze for the Bipper whose partner is stepping out on him/her.  A Mexican shaman buries them under sand and palm fronds.  He doesn’t reveal to the gringos that the same procedure & materials are used to roast a hog.  Keep an eye on the torches, kids!  Joe is rapidly shifting from Alan Ladd to Woody Allen as he plays sounding board for all the lovelorn moaning – while contributing his own.  Connor is well pleased with himself, either not realizing or not caring that codependent Krystal would latch on to anyone or anything, including a passing train.

Things are getting very dark in Paradise.  Also, the lights are low.  Jordan drags Jenna away to discuss the finer points of watching a ship that has sailed.  Or has it?  The rather indecisive – or plain old randy - Jenna is off to throw Benoit over Niagara Falls but his personal Maid Of The Mist rescues him instead.  She doesn’t want to be kissing anyone now.  Righty-o.  The Jordan/Benoit Peace Talks get off to an unsurprisingly rough start as Benoit, fluent enough in Anglais, nevertheless erects his own language barrier and doesn’t want to hear Jordan bleating.

If it’s midnight and Astrid’s in the frame then it means it’s chow time again.  They really are doing this poor girl a disservice with all the shots of food.  She’s a bit of a cynic so perhaps she wasn’t exhibiting quite the right amount of gee-whiz reverence and enthusiasm for Paradise and they’re being merciless with her in post production. 

Anneliese, bless her, is the anti-Astrid:  a True Believer who will also take direction eg ‘Go sit alone by the pool on a 2-person cushion and wait.’  Unfortunately, Kenny either read his calendar upside down or not at all before leaving home and discovers he has a dance recital to rush back to.  Anneliese can be excused for wondering why the hell the producers don’t set up a Skype session so Kenny can watch and communicate but stick around for RC etc.  She even wore her best graduation tassels.

Chris has waited up for Krystal and has planned his speech but is unprepared for Krystal’s closed-off body language that tells the tale.  Legs crossed, one hand used to prop up the head, the other used to hold a drink with the arm positioned straight across.  Wizard, ye shall not pass!  ‘I can’t read you right now’ claims Chris.  Well, friend, everyone else can!  Maybe keep your contacts in next time?

Anneliese is on camera for another session of wailing against the unfairness of it all.  Or maybe it’s just stock footage from earlier.  We really can’t tell.  Kamil is billed as an Ex Social Media Participant – quite the non-achievement.  Krystal describes him as a Greek god.  But wait, didn’t Jenna describe Connor that way a bit earlier?  Or are these women possibly lacking alternative metaphors due to a dearth of education in the classics?  Mt Olympus is getting rather crowded.  And it’s a sausage fest.

Anneliese refuses to be outdone on the metaphor front – green light on, door open, etc – and does everything but place Kamil in a headlock in her determination to get a date.  Producer plant?  Providence?  Probability?  Whatever the reason, Anneliese is so spun up that she’s forgotten she’s still holding her drink in one hand.  Chelsea gets another hour of frowning practice in.  Anneliese’s date involves an ATV and…a drive across a rickety wooden bridge high above the forest canopy?  The underwriters had a hard swallow or two signing off on that stunt. 

Kevin is failing the Gift Horse Test miserably and suggesting, nay, insisting that lovely Astrid, who he has all to his lonesome thanks to his visually-impaired (apparently) housemates, should go on a date ostensibly to strengthen their connection…by weakening it.  Strange ideas, those Canadians.  Astrid has to supply the voice of reason for both of them.  But decisiveness isn’t a problem for Kevin when he’s spurring Jordan into the fillies’ paddock.  Jenna makes her decision.  We think.  Watch this space.  But for now Benoit expresses his anger by hurling the football into the sea.  Zut Yanquis!

Kevin, now re-secured in his relationship, is happy to un-secure Kendall’s by telling tales out of school re:  the Leo-Chelsea pairing.  Leo has removed his bizarre side ponytail as he girds for the unavoidable tongue-lashing from Kendall.  Afterward, he reverts to John Bender loudmouthed bully mode – but it’s really not much of a leap is it?  Leo wants all the squares on the chess board to be the same color – his.  And when they aren't, he loses the plot.  Leo’s apology (?) to Kendall comes in the form of criticism and insults.  Quite the charmer, is Leo.

Rewatching the longish episode for certain details is a bridge too far but it seems that Tia had zero on-camera dialogue and Colton was seen only briefly.  The Joe-Leo bust-up hinted at last week has to wait another night but hopefully Kendall will see the error of her ways with or without more people dripping poison in her ear.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 12

If Kevin's therapist has given him any advice outside of, "If you want to find love that lasts, stop seeking it on a TV dating show," then that person needs to lose their license. I mean, WTF do these dolts expect?

• Love 13

This is why I posted that I really admired Jordan's honesty towards Annalise.  He basically said, I'm falling for Jenna, hard, and I have to move on.  A lot of people thought that he was being a jerk, but I'm so used to seeing guys reacting like a Leo.  I thought it was really adult how Jordan handled it. 

I think the reason people thought Jordan was a jerk was because--besides gushing about Jenna to the woman he was dumping, ouch--he basically told Annaliese "Hey, if it doesn't work out with Jenna, I'll come back to you." In other words "You're my backup plan if it doesn't work out with the woman I really want."  

Seriously? Talk about missing a "sensitivity chip".   

• Love 6