Type keyword(s) to search

Hazel & Tarik: The Filipina Angelina Jolie & A Guy Who Isn't Brad Pitt Anywhere

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cinter said:

How did this become about Tarik and religion? He’s 20 years older than she is. Looking online for a woman to be his possession, which he is, and a woman looking for  money, which she is. Its not one better than another.  TLC is capitalizing on that and here we are watching and commenting. But both partners are the same. One isn’t using another,they both are. Sad really.

Because an American looking for a Third World spouse/possession is the theme of 90% of the stories this franchise tells. That they got the Borat crazy Pentecostal scene out of this particular pairing is what sets this potential couple apart from the others

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Because an American looking for a Third World spouse/possession is the theme of 90% of the stories this franchise tells. That they got the Borat crazy Pentecostal scene out of this particular pairing is what sets this potential couple apart from the others

Right? The religion thing was a part of their latest episode, so that’s what we’re talking about right now. Just like we talked about his uglass outfit and her dead eyes. 

• Love 3

Can someone clarify what was going on at Hazel's parents' place? It seemed like the bed took up the whole room. Would she have been raised in that 1 room? Was it indeed a bed or a big flat couch of sorts (I've seen something similar in Chinese and Arab decor, but not as wide)? Where does Hazel live now?

I realize Hazel is using Tarik to get out of Manila. I don't blame her. She could probably do better, but apparently he's the one who took the bait, as it were and she's got to work with what she has. I haven't seen all the background on everyone - someone posted that Tarik is in real estate? No way I'd work with this guy to buy a house or even rent an apartment. There's nothing mature or businesslike about him. His clothes are laughable.  I think Hazel is more serious-minded, but maybe because she has to if she's going to use this international marriage thing to get out of Manila.

For a few years, my son looked into this type of marriage. I've seen a lot of brochures and web pages. I understand people wanting to make a better life, but it does get sad after awhile, and makes you grateful for what you have. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, aliya said:

Can someone clarify what was going on at Hazel's parents' place? It seemed like the bed took up the whole room. Would she have been raised in that 1 room? Was it indeed a bed or a big flat couch of sorts (I've seen something similar in Chinese and Arab decor, but not as wide)? Where does Hazel live now?

I realize Hazel is using Tarik to get out of Manila. I don't blame her. She could probably do better, but apparently he's the one who took the bait, as it were and she's got to work with what she has. I haven't seen all the background on everyone - someone posted that Tarik is in real estate? No way I'd work with this guy to buy a house or even rent an apartment. There's nothing mature or businesslike about him. His clothes are laughable.  I think Hazel is more serious-minded, but maybe because she has to if she's going to use this international marriage thing to get out of Manila.

For a few years, my son looked into this type of marriage. I've seen a lot of brochures and web pages. I understand people wanting to make a better life, but it does get sad after awhile, and makes you grateful for what you have. 

That is common living conditions for the working class in the Metro Manila area. Most adult children remain in their parents home until and sometimes past their marriage unless they have to move away for work. At which point hopefully they have other relatives near that location, live in a boarding house or if they re a domeastic worker live in an even smaller maid's room at the middle or upper class employers residence.

• Love 4

First of all - let me preface this by saying I feel terribly for Hazel. I hope she finds both happiness and a way to be joined with her son.

But I have to say, the girl knows her picture angles! She definitely looks better in all her instagram pictures and filters than what we see on TV. Don't get me wrong, she has lovely features in real life. She just looks different. 

Looking at Tarik's instagram is disappointing. He definitely has gotten a better edit on the show, as the loving father. He seems kind of gross in real life.

And, no Tarik, we aren't jealous. 

• Love 16

He looks pretty fucking clueless and clumsy on the show. They don't go out of their way to show it like they did with Marc (in previous seasons) and with Pole and Ricky. It's clear both he and his brother are idiots with no idea how to engage with any human (much less one they are attracted to) in any sort of way. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Rt66vintage said:

@guilfoyleatpp, Marc as in Marc & Nikki? What do you mean they didn't show it? Like clumsy & clueless? 

I meant they haven't been showing Tarik as clumsy and awkward as he seems to be otherwise, whereas they showed Marc (of Marc and Nikki) as being creepy and clueless and looking for a "clone" off the bat. The awkward conversation with Nikki's dad, the photo of Marc and his former wife, the miata, asking his daughter to lend her clothes, etc. 

• Love 1

Maybe I need to clarify. When they opened the door to meet her parents, it looked like there was a big bed taking up most of the room and not much of anything else. Everyone sat on the bed.

Is this it? Is that all they have is a bed? Is that actually a couch of some type? Did Hazel and her sister grow up in a room with a bed?

I understand children living with parents. My son lived with me until he got married. We got a lot of flack for it over the years, but didn't care. My question wasn't about living with parents, but rather, was what we saw all that there was to their home?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, aliya said:

Maybe I need to clarify. When they opened the door to meet her parents, it looked like there was a big bed taking up most of the room and not much of anything else. Everyone sat on the bed.

Is this it? Is that all they have is a bed? Is that actually a couch of some type? Did Hazel and her sister grow up in a room with a bed?

I understand children living with parents. My son lived with me until he got married. We got a lot of flack for it over the years, but didn't care. My question wasn't about living with parents, but rather, was what we saw all that there was to their home?

Hazel may be living with her cousin in another location (closer to her work). It’s very likely that was all their was to their home (minus a place for cooking). 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, politichick said:

I thought I saw a hot plate kind of cooking implement in the room as well but could be wrong. I doubt they lived there when Haze lived with them. Does she have any siblings?

Ah that is likely, I don't recall. Hazel hasn't mentioned any siblings so far. 

I didn't get the impression that Hazel lived with her parents currently.  I thought she had a sister when she was waiting for Torgo to get there so she could pick him up at the airport. She was trying on her red dress and complaining about him having a layover in Bangkok.  It could have been a cousin though; I don't remember now who they said it was.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, doyouevengohere said:

I didn't get the impression that Hazel lived with her parents currently.  I thought she had a sister when she was waiting for Torgo to get there so she could pick him up at the airport. She was trying on her red dress and complaining about him having a layover in Bangkok.  It could have been a cousin though; I don't remember now who they said it was.

She said cousin. Even as a non Catholic family  it would be odd if she didn't have siblings 

• Love 1
On 9/5/2018 at 10:16 PM, aliya said:

I think someone else up thread answered this but in case you missed it, yes, this is very common housing for low/no income urban Manila families. Maybe there'll be some sort of foam mattress on the floor, a hot water boiler, maybe a one burner hot plate. Often there isn't even bathrooms or toilets and people have to use a common hall bathroom. It's a very difficult life, but for millions of people around the world, this is the only life they know.

• Love 7

I rewatched the episode and  still can’t warmup  to Hazel. 

I dont think Tarik really loves her, and I think she’s playing with him. She can barely stand to have him touch her but in order to convince him  she’s sorry about deceiving him, so  gets all handsy with him. Dean was loud but he s got Tarik thinking with more than just his little head.

• Love 4

When Tarik was talking about how they hadn't had sex yet and they were going off on a romantic excursion - the implication being that it was finally going to happen - I kept flashing back to her confessional interview where she said she won't have sex with him until they're married. I think she's shared a LOT with us that she hasn't shared with him. Poor fool, Tarik.

Edited by Teri313
  • Love 3

Doesn't Tarik realize that Hazel even said this is her chance to get to America?  I believe this is called "using someone".  If he brings her back, they'll get married, she'll get her green card and either bring over her entire family for him to support or she'll leave him for someone with more money.  Why are some men so blind?   He's a nice guy.  he can find a date in his hometown.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, Jacobi331 said:

Doesn't Tarik realize that Hazel even said this is her chance to get to America?  I believe this is called "using someone".  If he brings her back, they'll get married, she'll get her green card and either bring over her entire family for him to support or she'll leave him for someone with more money.  Why are some men so blind?   He's a nice guy.  he can find a date in his hometown.

Being Filipino,  would put Hazel's family, besides her child, near the bottom of the list with Mexicans. Say 4 years to citizenship and then a decade waiting. For Tarik the family joining him in America is limited risk 

• Love 3

Yay first post here. Was an old TWOPer poster and reader. Hazel thinks he is fat and not attracted to him at all physically. Can’t believe he does not see that. His brother will be, obnoxiously, so I. Told. You. So. I do feel bad for her situation though 

• Love 5
On 10/1/2018 at 12:29 AM, MrFluffy said:

I had hair as long as Hazel's, as a teen. It's incredibly unflattering and just gets stuck in your butt crack all the time.

So your a woman? Hmm Mr. fluffy

Funny how you can tell whos man who’s woman on here.. without actually knowing, by there beliefs and what not.. then every  once in a while you second guess,  and then wonder why you second  guessed. And a small percent keep you wondering...

Edited by Mainer
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2018 at 11:29 PM, MrFluffy said:

I had hair as long as Hazel's, as a teen. It's incredibly unflattering and just gets stuck in your butt crack all the time.

Yours was probably full and pretty.  Hers is just dead and stringy and grosses me out.  

I missed that the season had started, but I'm finally all caught up now. I'm hung up on Hazel's backstory. She's mid 20s with a child she doesn't have custody of. How does that work in the Philippines? Her family's so religious, but she had a child out of wedlock (I'm assuming she and the kid's dad weren't married since divorce is illegal in the Philippines). It just seems like she's had a really rough life on top of the poverty. No wonder icky Tarik seems like an option.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Vandy10 said:

I missed that the season had started, but I'm finally all caught up now. I'm hung up on Hazel's backstory. She's mid 20s with a child she doesn't have custody of. How does that work in the Philippines? Her family's so religious, but she had a child out of wedlock (I'm assuming she and the kid's dad weren't married since divorce is illegal in the Philippines). It just seems like she's had a really rough life on top of the poverty. No wonder icky Tarik seems like an option.

Child custody is informal arrangement between the families compared to America where you can get a court date and afford lawyers and the legal system jumps in. Normally the most well off extended family takes the child after the first three years. At times there may be a childless aunt who becomes the custodial mother with birth mom taking visitation and the local school vacation periods/holidays.  The entire nation is outwardly religious, mostly Catholic so it shows up more at a visual glance then in Protestant dominated nations but then the first birth unmarried parent rates are near the margin of error difference with the American rate.

Go back about 40 years girls would be sent to a relative in another province and their married relation would get the birth certificate issued in their name to avoid the nation printing ILLEGITIMATE on the child's birth certificate and hiding the family embarrassment.  In the 80's near the end of the Marcos regime birth certificates started being issued with the unmarried father's name but many still tried to game the system to avoid the illegitimate stamp and found themselves "married" when those last GI brides and first mail order types started trying to get spousal visas. At which point those trying to marry a foreigner and immigrate do like the famous and powerful, including President Duterte himself, they made a case for divorce for cause and payed a doctor to say the cause was because of a preexisting condition and gained a secular annulment.  I can easily see Tarik and Hazel show up on a season two trying to go through that process because  the state computer says Hazel is already married. However we are lead to believe neither one has the budget or the years to cover the expenses, so we get back to a TV producer with a new plot line making that investment.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Yours was probably full and pretty.  Hers is just dead and stringy and grosses me out.  

Hahah! Half of my dads side of the family is Pentecostal and they have never cut there hair it’s a rule of the church. My cousins hair is down a little past her knees.. it’s crazy. There also not allowed to wear pants, make up or watch tv.. I’m assuming Hazels church isn’t as strict?

i used to go to there church with them as a kid and they speak in tounges and holy roll, I had nightmares about it. It looks like there posessed and having conversation with themselves

Edited by Mainer
14 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Interesting, if true.

rps20181007_010103.jpg

Granted 2002 was a long time ago. Of course some personality traits are consistent, but outside of violently illegal behavior, what someone was into 16 years ago doesn’t have bearing on what they are like now. 

I don’t think this woman is lying at all- for the record. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 3

How old is that broad 40, she sure looks like and manipulating...wtf is wrong with these people who have to go seek these types of losers abroad.

i love the show would love to post about it, but this FORUM is not making sense to me at all...can someone educate me on it...why is it so disorganised, and topics are not in que?

thanks

29 minutes ago, gatorade said:

i love the show would love to post about it, but this FORUM is not making sense to me at all...can someone educate me on it...why is it so disorganised, and topics are not in que?

Topics are the episodes, each couple, general media info, and one where people comment in real time while watching the show.  They seem disorganized because whatever episode has the latest post moves to the top of the queue.  They do not stay in any particular order so you just post whatever you want in either the relevant episode thread or the couple thread.  I'm a long time lurker, fairly recent poster and we welcome snark!

What sort of protective, competent parent marries a person they barely know and brings them home to be in a custodial parental type of role over their small child? Add to that the fact that the child is special needs. Tarik was basically trash to me from the first episode based on the fact that he was willing to do what he is doing and involve his daughter. 

• Love 3

Shawn whatever-her-name-is is such a lame Tell All host. I can't believe she never brought up the confessionals where Hazel basically outed herself as being interested in Tarik only for money and getting out of the Philippines. I thought for sure once he saw those he would back out of it. And if not him, then at least his brother would make a big deal of it. But nothing. I'm not a fan of Andy Cohen, but I wish this was a Bravo show so he could host the Tell Alls. He's way better at getting down to the nitty gritty.

• Love 4

I finally watched the last 3 episodes today (clearly living my best life, I know lol), and I have to say that I gained a lot of respect for Tarik during the Tell All. He had some really good insights, especially at the end when they were all out there together, and I thought he came across as a kind and intelligent person.