Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Success Is Such Hard Work

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

If we're going that Dayton was raised 'in' DCC life, then so was Victoria  and she is woefully underprepared but I don't see Kelli calling her out over it or telling her that she shouldn't be falling out of turns or getting called into the office for not getting the choreo because she should be prepared, nor was she being told that she won't make it just because she's a legacy.  personally, it comes solely from a place of favouritism. it was unnecessarily nasty

I agree that we have seen Kelli inexplicably and unnecessarily treat Dayton way different than Victoria (so far), and I’m not happy about it either. I think that all of the daughters have grown up around DCC as all of their moms (Shelly included) have been employed by the org for a very long time. I don’t know why Kelli is treating Dayton this way, or why the edit is so skewed. It’s baffling to me (but I don’t know any of them personally). 

Yep- dance styles have changed and gotten more complex. My point was that Shelly kept up with those changes. 

We’ll have to see it play out, but I agree, it looks like Dayton was held to a different standard so far. 

8 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

So you know how I've been stalking Melissa R on podcasts all week...…….well, she did make the comment about how the experience of today's squads is very different from what she went thru just 10-12 years ago.  And other alumni have commented about the added pressures compared to what they dealt with.  

Agreed. I just also know that Shelly continued her experience and that, all things being equal to the times people live in, it was hard on the generation before just as it is hard on the current one. 

Generations before didn’t have the benefit of the training available in this current one, either. Does this make sense? We are only as advanced as the time we are a part of. 

Edited by Taralightner
Removed info
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

So you know how I've been stalking Melissa R on podcasts all week...…….well, she did make the comment about how the experience of today's squads is very different from what she went thru just 10-12 years ago.  And other alumni have commented about the added pressures compared to what they dealt with.  

I'd imagine a part of it is having to have a social media presence that I guess Kelli esp keeps tabs on (or kelli's staff) and with everyone and their mother having cameras now on their phones your behaviour at any time you're outside your home can be documented. now personally, minus a few of the girls, I probably wouldn't recognise many of them in public, but in Dallas, if you're a die hard fan OR a snitch ( I went to a school with exceptionaly strict rules about what we could and couldn't do off school property even outside of school time, like we couldn't be seen to eat in public etc and people actually WOULD call in and report us if we were seen, on a damn saturday on our own time drinking  coke walking down the street and we'd catch hell monday morning and if camera phones had been a thing then I cannot imagine how hellish life could have been- this was early 00s btw not 1950 but my school was kinda stuck in 1950) and you snap a pic of a DCC with no makeup, in old ratty sweats kissing a bf or something I can't imagine that'd go down well with the organisation. ( on that note, I would SWEAR blind that I remember something from an early MTT season about the DCC being told that they couldnt' be dropped off or picked up from the airport by a bf/spouse if they had one, or leave the house sans makeup but I can't remember if that's the DCC or something I read about another cheerleading team, can anyone confirm if that is/was the case?)  Or you don't post a pic from a night out with friends where you maybe drink a litle too much (as long as you're legal) but a friend does publically post it and tag you in it, and you're a little worse for wear that could potentially get you a trip to the office for a chat, and even 10-15 years ago, that sort of concern wouldnt' be on their radar. 

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 1
On 8/24/2018 at 11:05 AM, sATL said:

Any reason they didn't flash the names of the alumni tunnel cheerleaders ? Surly they could have found 30-45 seconds to flash names on the screen - esp. if they did it by decade..

yes - the star is beautiful . but that room is just too big for 45 .. all I was seeing was cushy leather chairs.

It was interesting that instead of having them in order of years, they had them in a triangle with Kashara not in the point. 

3 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Kelli teaches preschool. Highly doubt her toddlers will be looking at the DCC calendar 

I was actually just trying to be funny in my original post.  Kinda picturing this being a situation on a sit-com or something,in that case a kid of any age would somehow come across a calendar.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

I was actually just trying to be funny in my original post.  Kinda picturing this being a situation on a sit-com or something,in that case a kid of any age would somehow come across a calendar.

I don’t think I was talking about your post... one poster asked what grade Kelli taught! 

1 hour ago, CaseyRe said:

I'd imagine a part of it is having to have a social media presence that I guess Kelli esp keeps tabs on (or kelli's staff) and with everyone and their mother having cameras now on their phones your behaviour at any time you're outside your home can be documented. now personally, minus a few of the girls, I probably wouldn't recognise many of them in public, but in Dallas, if you're a die hard fan OR a snitch ( I went to a school with exceptionaly strict rules about what we could and couldn't do off school property even outside of school time, like we couldn't be seen to eat in public etc and people actually WOULD call in and report us if we were seen, on a damn saturday on our own time drinking  coke walking down the street and we'd catch hell monday morning and if camera phones had been a thing then I cannot imagine how hellish life could have been- this was early 00s btw not 1950 but my school was kinda stuck in 1950) and you snap a pic of a DCC with no makeup, in old ratty sweats kissing a bf or something I can't imagine that'd go down well with the organisation. ( on that note, I would SWEAR blind that I remember something from an early MTT season about the DCC being told that they couldnt' be dropped off or picked up from the airport by a bf/spouse if they had one, or leave the house sans makeup but I can't remember if that's the DCC or something I read about another cheerleading team, can anyone confirm if that is/was the case?)  Or you don't post a pic from a night out with friends where you maybe drink a litle too much (as long as you're legal) but a friend does publically post it and tag you in it, and you're a little worse for wear that could potentially get you a trip to the office for a chat, and even 10-15 years ago, that sort of concern wouldnt' be on their radar. 

The show, social media, the temptation to "Kalyssa-fy"

When the show first came on, it was first name and last name, then it was first and middle names, now it's what - first and initial?  What you are saying about the airport, I thought that was the DCC cause I remember it  - the makeup as well.  I thought they couldn't wear wedding rings while in uniform, and definitely not on the calendar shoot.  They now have social media seminars.

Do they do this stuff anymore:

6 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

The show, social media, the temptation to "Kalyssa-fy"

When the show first came on, it was first name and last name, then it was first and middle names, now it's what - first and initial?  What you are saying about the airport, I thought that was the DCC cause I remember it  - the makeup as well.  I thought they couldn't wear wedding rings while in uniform, and definitely not on the calendar shoot.  They now have social media seminars.

Remember the days of them breaking intot he girl's homes to check out their fridges and cupboards and telling them total lies about soda and then shaming them for the foodstuffs in their homes? good times...

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Remember the days of them breaking intot he girl's homes to check out their fridges and cupboards and telling them total lies about soda and then shaming them for the foodstuffs in their homes? good times...

Ahhhh yes, I remember it well...……...

• Love 1

I an rewatching the episode and the conversation between Judy and Kelli before Malena goes into the office kind of sounds like they’re talking about what she said in her CMT at home segment.

• Love 3

Good thing Miranda and Yuko waved goodbye on their way out the resort door or I wouldn’t have known they were in Bimini at all...

I want Judy to be my personal stylist. Is that too much to ask? She looks great in every shot in this episode.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

What the fresh hell is this!? Hahahha is this a commercial? Are they saying vehix.com? The early 2000’s outfits are.... trendy. 

13 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

You wouldn't have recognized Miranda anyway

Jesus. Wanna a few more filters on that to make it a bakers dozen. And they broke her waist... The more I look at this the more mad it makes me. 

Where is the bottom half of her second leg? Why is it flat on the bottom? Why is her hair grey at the top? Why go to Bimini if you are going to make the water look like plastic?  Why pay for women to Posen if you are just going to photo shop them so they look like androids. 

Edited by Collette1104
This pic makes me angry.
  • Love 4
On 8/24/2018 at 12:42 PM, NotaDCCheerleader said:

That's not true at all.  Kelli loves Malena's look first and foremost, she did well at both semis and finals and Judy believes her to be teachable.  Malena is in camp because she earned herself a spot in camp, period.

so much this.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:11 PM, HateWatcher said:

Kelli looked so good in a swimsuit. Love how Judy was messing with her. That seemed super authentic and endearing. More of that please.

one of my favorite parts in the entire series.  The way Kelli and Judy interact is always something I watch for and look forward to.

On 8/24/2018 at 12:38 PM, sATL said:

and all that is her natural-born "gifts" , right ? Or did she buy/add a little ? I just have a hard time with seeing her dance 4 qtrs of a football game.. only so much a bra can do....

Kelli is naturally gifted, both physically and as a writer, among quite a few other things - if you haven't read through this, you should - she's hysterical ?

https://thecheerleaderladyblog.wordpress.com 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, hathorlive said:

It was interesting that instead of having them in order of years, they had them in a triangle with Kashara not in the point. 

Well, it makes more sense to kind of differentiate between the years. Even if they were next to each other, Kashara would be third in the row so...

9 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

Nope sorry, that's just untrue.  It just is.  I've dived for 20 years around the world with rays ranging from smaller than a dinner plate to mantas and every diver I've come across has said that. theyre not aggressive. tey're more likely to swim aaway than attack. the only known attacks I've encountered have been because somone stepped on a ray that was on the sand or because the diver was harrassing it.  u

I found tht so ridiculous - it's not really the world in which she was raised, its the world she was raised next to. I doubt when her mom was a DCC that they had as many dances to learn in such a quick time and her experiences as a DCC some 30+ years ago are not comparable to what it is now. Dayton isn't exactly going to rehearsals with the DCC or every game and watching the dancers the whole time and not the damn football. she might be int he world of dance, but not the DCC world per se. times have changed since Kelli and her teammates were DCC and i wonder to what degree if young them were to try out now, if they'd have the chops to make it.

I’ve thought about that so many times... They didn’t have to be stick thin and quite honestly, some of the past dccs weren’t “hd friendly”. And I don’t think the choreo was all that difficult. I’m not talking about show group as they were performing different choreos back then.

9 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

Fine, I'll stand corrected, but that's my opinion.  Also, same amount of time on the field does not automaticaaly equal that they learned the same number of dances nor in the same amount of time. Compare gymnastic routines from today to ones from the 90s. theyre far far more complex now but just as long. and minus the 'full-fledged coach for DCC' part, none of Shelly being a former DCC and current studio owner would mean Dayton was 'raised' in the DCC world. having a parent in a particular world also doesn't equal that you know everything about it nor are you prepared for the reality of being in it yourself.  being an observer of a life and being IN a particular life are very very different and she was always an observer before, never a TCC. she's always been on the sidelines of the DCC before this.

If we're going that Dayton was raised 'in' DCC life, then so was Victoria  and she is woefully underprepared but I don't see Kelli calling her out over it or telling her that she shouldn't be falling out of turns or getting called into the office for not getting the choreo because she should be prepared, nor was she being told that she won't make it just because she's a legacy.  personally, it comes solely from a place of favouritism. it was unnecessarily nasty

I 100% agree.

9 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Very different, as is everything else in life with longevity. In some ways, I think we had it harder compared to now. Until the early 2000s, pregame performances were different every week - choreo and formations. There were 2-3 halftimes every season - themed with new choreo...and they were productions. A normal game day plan consisted of 15-20 set sidelines along with 4 quarter changes. So on any given game day, up to 25 different set dances were performed, along with any random 15-30 sec clips that leaders would call out tags. Now they have the luxury of doing a traditional pregame & 4 quarter changes. The timeouts are not set, but called by leaders, who must hear the first few beats of music and know what to call. That is a good amount of pressure on the leaders. When the format of USO tours changed, that was reflected in Show Group. The 1 1/2 hour variety show has not been danced in several years. It would be nice to get back to that someday. I would not change the luxury of anonymity we had with the social media presence the girls have today. 

And you were outside at Texas Stadium... I’ve been at games where it was 110 on the turf and then there was that one Thanksgiving game where it was snowing, and the DCC only had little satin jackets for warmth. We were freezing in the stands! The girls who cheered at Texas Stadium definitely had it much harder!

I miss the show group variety show and still don’t understand why they stopped! 

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, PBSLover said:

No photographer with any class has their models on all fours. And if any cheerleader is reading this DO NOT POSE ON ALL FOURS. I mean seriously?  This just pisses me off.

Now come on, Love Buckets. You don't think these guys had class?

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, Disneydiva628 said:

I didn’t recognize her until I saw her username.

The photoshop gets out of hand every year. half the girls are unrecognisable and many of the pictures they put up on the DCC insta are just unfortunate chices and were I the girls I would be offended and horrifed

• Love 2
16 hours ago, lampwick said:

That was so unfortunate that she didn’t say that it takes her a minute to get the routines, rather than she has memory issues - memory issues so severe that she was the only girl benched in the Flight Crew’s history, and no follow up to say how she has developed techniques to resolve that issue.

None that we saw, anyway.  She may have given them a detailed explanation on how she worked to fix this that was edited right out for drama.

12 hours ago, Collette1104 said:

What the fresh hell is this!? Hahahha is this a commercial? Are they saying vehix.com?

LOL it took me a while to figure that out, I thought it sounded like "hee hee ya ya" :)

• Love 1
On 8/23/2018 at 10:59 PM, PWBlackburn said:

1. I may be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of Malena. 

2. Wow, Kelly is not being nice at all to Dayton. Like, I'm upset with how Kelly is talking to her (her tone and body language was rude and agressive imo) but atleast she finished the conversation on a more positive encouraging note. Still felt weird.

3. She better have a similar conversation with VK, if not that isn't fair to either girl and comes off sketchy and like she is heavily playing favorites. 

4. Now it feels like they are hiding VK.

Haven't read all the posts yet, so someone else may have mentioned this, but I'm wondering if Kelli feels the need to squash any suspicions of nepotism after all the hubbub about Cassie. I never thought Cassie was good or pretty and she got way too much screen time. I also didn't think she looked good enough to be in the calendar. Anyway, I think they're just trying to nip it in the bud right away so nobody thinks Dayton is getting a pass because of her mom.

17 minutes ago, SSAHotchner said:

Haven't read all the posts yet, so someone else may have mentioned this, but I'm wondering if Kelli feels the need to squash any suspicions of nepotism after all the hubbub about Cassie. I never thought Cassie was good or pretty and she got way too much screen time. I also didn't think she looked good enough to be in the calendar. Anyway, I think they're just trying to nip it in the bud right away so nobody thinks Dayton is getting a pass because of her mom.

Then it should be directed at both legacies.  And also, no need to be so mean about it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SSAHotchner said:

If that's the plan, then she's 100% going about it in the wrong way. she's absolutely feeding suspicions of nepotism when the TCC that essentially describes Kelli as a second mom is the one getting a pass while the other legacy TCC is getting the 'just because you're a legacy doesn't mean oyu'll make it' spiel

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Stagecoach said:

Now come on, Love Buckets. You don't think these guys had class?

I wasn't watching too closely but Old Fred Durst photographer seemed slightly less objectionable than the Old Brett Michaels guy.   

Poor Tasha I feel like I caught hepatitis just looking at that tile floor.   

I can't remember which old TCC had a 'grandma' face but vet Amy has one too.   

Malenas crying was too over the top.  Embarrassing.  

• Love 5
On 8/25/2018 at 2:38 PM, CaseyRe said:

She's employed at an arlington hospital. she's really passionate about it so she might be part time now, but there was an interview of her late last year in her position with comments from her colleagues and that,, and she's posted pics in her nurse uniform so she definitely still works.

Parker quickly admits both nursing and professional cheerleading require hard work and commitment. “You never stop learning, and you must be willing to put in the work to become better, stronger, smarter and more patient,” she said. “Both professions are team sports, too. Giving your best at all times is the only option.”

According to Cari Lidgett, the hospital’s Medical & Neuro Telemetry nurse manager, Parker’s unselfish commitment translates into safe and reliable care for patients and their family members.

“Lauren sits, cries and laughs with her patients,” she said. “She’s a pillar of excellence for our hospital and a positive reflection of our organization in the community.”

Lidgett thinks Parker’s strong work ethic benefits her in all aspects of life. “Holding yourself accountable and always looking to perform at your best are qualities any successful organization looks for in its employees.”

In some interview, she mentioned something about putting DCC before her nursing career for now, I think.  I am assuming she's doing PRN or just took a leave for a bit.

Finally had the chance to rewatch the episode. I find it really hard to believe they kept showing Kashara because she’s the only one who can “say anything original”. On a separate note - I had to use closed captioning for most of what she said (which, after last year with Alexandria - who knows if it’s even accurate ??‍♀️??‍♀️)

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, SuzySmith said:

In some interview, she mentioned something about putting DCC before her nursing career for now, I think.  I am assuming she's doing PRN or just took a leave for a bit.

Well, good for her.  She has the opportunities with DCC to travel, visit hospitals, senior centers, work with the kids at the camps, all of which she enjoys.  When that part of her life ends, she has the education and experience to go back to nursing full time.  I see her being an All Star as well if she can fit it in.

• Love 4

I personally don’t think Kelli was particularly awful to Dayton in the office meeting. I wonder, though, if her tone came off differently because she’s speaking to someone that she’s known since she was born, as opposed to a candidate completely new to her. Not trying to go down the favoritism road, just noting that I would speak differently to someone I’ve known all of their life vs someone I just met...even without probably realizing it.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, ShellyB said:

. I would not change the luxury of anonymity we had with the social media presence the girls have today. 

Besides the twitter accounts, are the girls required to have a social media presence? Can they just not do Instagram or Facebook or Twitter?

I enjoyed the different segments they highlighted this episode; i hope the producers build on that aspect of the show more. For example, the Bimini segment was excellent, and I agree with whoever said it needed to be its episode. I am interested in the show expands on how the vets are coping with competing to maintain their spot on the team.  Although the acting needs a little more work, I liked the Cowboy Fit segment!

1 hour ago, scorpio1031 said:

Well, good for her.  She has the opportunities with DCC to travel, visit hospitals, senior centers, work with the kids at the camps, all of which she enjoys.  When that part of her life ends, she has the education and experience to go back to nursing full time.  I see her being an All Star as well if she can fit it in.

I would rather be a nurse where I am helping patients become better emotionally and physically and helping their families and friends deal with having someone they love in the hospital. Being a DCC is all fine and dandy, but I think being a nurse is much more rewarding. The world would survive without the DCCs, but the world would not survive without nurses.

Edited by bigskygirl
28 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I would rather be a nurse where I am helping patients become better emotionally and physically and helping their families and friends deal with having someone they love in the hospital. Being a DCC is all fine and dandy, but I think being a nurse is much more rewarding. The world would survive without the DCCs, but the world would not survive without nurses.

She can always go back to nursing full time when her DCC days are over. It’s not like she can’t be a nurse anymore because she took a few years off.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

She can always go back to nursing full time when her DCC days are over. It’s not like she can’t be a nurse anymore because she took a few years off.

I understand what you are saying, but I still would rather be a nurse where I know I am actually helping people. We need nurses more than we need cheerleaders.

55 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

"The world would not survive without nurses".  This nurse of 32 years says THANK YOU, @bigskygirl, for saying that!!   If I'd had the opportunity to be a DCC and the financial ability to go part-time, PRN, or take a leave of absence from the profession, I'd have done it.  It would be interesting to hear the real story from Lauren.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I understand what you are saying, but I still would rather be a nurse where I know I am actually helping people. We need nurses more than we need cheerleaders.

Nurses can't work 24/7.  They need time to de-stress, and if Lauren is able to still do both and fulfill her passions, then more power to her.

• Love 15
43 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

What’s on there is adorable but she hasn’t updated it. The site looks like it was created in 1997. 

oh for sure - I just remember stumbling across that entry and really enjoying the read.  I wish she would write a memoir, she has a great sense of humor and I'd love to read about her and her experiences.

• Love 5
On 8/25/2018 at 8:18 PM, woodscommaelle said:

Whoa. Catch 22 right here.

"They're like puppies..." said no one ever about stingrays.

Tara is way better dancing than being a model.

Tasha giving posing tips was totally 'woodscommaelle' teaching the Bend and Snap. 

Again with the paper name tags? They couldn't come up with a better way to display their names in the entire past year? 

Google "Stingrays are like puppies" and you will find this is the general sentiment - lots of articles with that title along with videos.  Anyway, was it Tasha who suggested saying the word "prune" to Christina?