Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Success Is Such Hard Work

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, 123DCCWoooo said:

Accents can most certainly disappear, diminish, or change over time. We’ve seen this on the show with Angela’s Australian accent fading, Yuko’s becoming less prominent with her better grasp of the English language, and even Colby having a British accent after living abroad for many years. Kashara’s was so heavy during introductions this year that I literally couldn’t understand what she was saying. It was not even that heavy in her first year, and it seems like she’s going overboard trying to hang on to it. She’s on her fourth year away from KY - I find it hard to believe that it not only hasn’t faded somewhat, but that it’s gotten heavier. Others may find it endearing, but it grates on me.

She might also have just returned from spending time with family back home - my accent is much more muted and faded when Im away from DC (I now live in London) but the moment I talk to a friend from back home or go to the States, BAM that accent comes out full force and it takes a good while to fade again once I go home.  if she's been around family her accent is going to harden up again. I don't find it remotely strange.  she might be living away fromt he area now but that doesn't mean she stops talking to people back hme or never visits and that will 100% affect her accnet

• Love 6

Kashara was basically only shown talking on screen for one-liners in her first year, and I don’t recall her being on screen much at all her second year. I think if her accent seems more pronounced now, it’s probably because she’s on screen and talking A LOT where as she wasn’t before. I doubt she playing it up. 

Accents can definitely fade, but I also think it depends on how strong it was in the first place and the type of environment you’re in. I have a pretty light southern accent. Most people in the South don’t think i have one at all, but whenever I’m up north, people can slightly detect it. So if I were to move to Chicago (would never happen, i love Chicago, but loathe cold weather), my accent would probably fade quickly. Kashara has a very thick, very regional accent. It’s similar in thickness to some of my family members who grew up in Louisiana and have thick Cajun accents. Their accents will never fade either lol.

Does anyone here watch Big Brother? Sam’s accent kind of reminds me of Kashara’s.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, abracadabra said:

Re: Sexy Hips: The move that I like the least is that one where it looks like they're humping the air really hard. On a one-sided stage we see their backsides during this part. I think it's really manly. It seems like it should be accompanied by some sort of grunting noise. It's hard for me to reconcile this with femininity and attractiveness. 

Sexy hips are not sexy. I can't stand it when they randomly start doing them. Yuk!!

On 8/27/2018 at 8:01 AM, Kayce said:

Exactly :)  When I go to Canada to visit friends, they have me "talk" for all of the locals in Toronto.  They love a good Southern accent there.

When I went to Canada my friend's friends were surprised I didn't have a thick Texas accent. 

• Love 3
On 8/25/2018 at 12:49 AM, Leia1021 said:

Just curious - Is there a rule that the former DCC who teach classes aren't allowed to teach the actual DCC dances?  Do most of the routines remain the same from year to year? I guess it must not be allowed or everyone would be asking to be taught those at the prep classes.

Yes and yes. DCC org owns the dances so can't be taught at prep classes and would be unfair to teach to TC friends.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:17 AM, bigskygirl said:

I do not think being a DCC is de-stressing since she is expected to sign her life over for the honor and privilege to be a DCC. At least nursing can be a rewarding career where you are actually helping others. After hearing what goes on behind the scenes in DCC Land, Lauren would be better off going back to nursing full time. And a nurse can de-stress, travel, work with kids, visit veterans without signing their lives over and wearing a skimpy outfit shaking her cash and prizes for male entertainment.

Compare to being a cardiac nurse DCC is de-stressing. Lauren is young and loves to dance #YOLO. She didn't quit nursing for life, just scaling back to do both of the things she loves. #goals

2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

She might also have just returned from spending time with family back home - my accent is much more muted and faded when Im away from DC (I now live in London) but the moment I talk to a friend from back home or go to the States, BAM that accent comes out full force and it takes a good while to fade again once I go home.  if she's been around family her accent is going to harden up again. I don't find it remotely strange.  she might be living away fromt he area now but that doesn't mean she stops talking to people back hme or never visits and that will 100% affect her accnet

This and I give Yuko a pass at her accent fading, bc she is learning a new language. But for Kashara or anyone else with a regional or cultural American accent, they should NEVER have to change it to suit anybody else. Fix your grammar and use correct words, but whether you are country, Black, Latina, NYC, northern, etc., you should not have to lose your identity bc your accent annoys other people. All accents will be annoying or charming to others. Be yourself.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I don't think DC has an accent.

As far as accents go for the rest of the girls, it's funny to me because most of the girls don't have one (to me) and I'd expect that since they are mostly from Texas (or the South).

Also, alot of people are complaining about the Vet portion of the show. I think it was fine. No matter what they gave us, y'all will still complain. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LadyMsJay said:

As far as accents go for the rest of the girls, it's funny to me because most of the girls don't have one (to me) and I'd expect that since they are mostly from Texas (or the South).

Also, alot of people are complaining about the Vet portion of the show. I think it was fine. No matter what they gave us, y'all will still complain. 

it does have an accent though it tends to be more regional dialects within the area and a lot of it revolves around 'r' but I meant in general my American (Maryland/Murrilan) accent

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

it does have an accent though it tends to be more regional dialects within the area and a lot of it revolves around 'r' but I meant in general my American (Maryland/Murrilan) accent

Okay. That definitely changes what I said. Personally, I don't think DC/MD has an accent (since I'm from there), but there are DEFINITELY people from here who speak that way (lol). 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

That actually doesn’t surprise me, but I guess it’s because I don’t really consider Texas to be “the South.” I’m not saying that it’s not geographically. I just think of Texas as Texas lol, and culturally, when I think of a Southern accent, I think more of the Southeastern US, primarily Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, the Carolinas, some parts of Virginia (not Northern Va) and central/NW Florida. I know several people from South Florida, and they haven’t tended to have typical Southern accents either. And then there’s Louisiana, which you’ll find a whole different and very distinguishable accent. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

Okay. That definitely changes what I said. Personally, I don't think DC/MD has an accent (since I'm from there), but there are DEFINITELY people from here who speak that way (lol). 

It's where I grew up (Rockville with school in DC and while Montgomery county doesn't have the thickest of accents its all dependent on who you are around as well and what part of Maryland they're from which will, esp when you're a child, affect your own accent), only moving to the UK when I was older (and being forced through elocution lessons by my mother to lose my accent which didn't work remotely and left me with some god awful mix of the two that people gnerally assume is either canadian or for some reason australian) so its an accent I'm pretty familiar with so yeah, I know that some people do speak that way, myself included when Im back for any length of time or talk to friends that still live/work in that area

Edited by CaseyRe
11 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

I think Baltimore (specifically Dundalk, Essex, Eastern Shore in some places) has a distinguishable “accent” for some. I live here and don’t think DC-or Montgomery County- has an accent that I can detect. If I’m in another state, I can hear “east Baltimore,” but I won’t hear DC in someone. That’s just me. 

Edited by Taralightner
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

I think Baltimore (specifically Dundalk, Essex, Eastern Shore in some places) has a distinguishable “accent” for some. I live here and don’t think DC-or Montgomery County- has an accent that I can detect. If I’m in another state, I can hear “east Baltimore,” but I won’t hear DC in someone. That’s just me. 

Baltimore has the weirdest accent! It makes me cringe. Especially the words that end in or contain an "o" that are supposed to make the "ooo" sound (do, to, move etc..) It's like they're a completely different part of MD. LOL

• Love 1
Just now, LadyMsJay said:

Baltimore has the weirdest accent! It makes me cringe. Especially the words that end in or contain an "o" that are supposed to make the "ooo" sound (do, to, move etc..) It's like they're a completely different part of MD. LOL

I once heard Baltimore described as the Boston of MD and its kinda fitting sometimes.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Jess14 said:

It’s similar in thickness to some of my family members who grew up in Louisiana and have thick Cajun accents. Their accents will never fade either lol.

My daughter's old piano teacher is from Monroe, LA and he's been here in Maryland for at least 15 years.  But he still sounds like he just stepped from the Bayou! 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, sugarplum said:

My North Carolina accent comes on really thick when I’m tired, when I’m really stressed, or when I have been around family with the same accent (it takes me a week or more to lose my thick drawl after family visits). As someone who has been teased (good-naturedly) about my accent, I’ve got no issue with Kashara and her accent, even if sometimes it’s stronger than others. It happens, y’all!

I was raised in Florida. Not even Northern Florida that could pass for Alabama or Georgia, but middle of the state, basically on the beach with Disney in my backyard, kinda Florida. My husband was stationed on the border of Kentucky and Tennessee for 3 years...3 years and I can't get that accent to go away. Like you, it comes out if I'm tired, stressed or angry but once it does people's heads start to turn. I can't control it and I can't stop it. I haven't lived in that area in 11 years and it's still there. I have zero hate for Kashara for how she talks. 

• Love 5

When Kash is talking fast, I need subtitles, ha! I think she is cute. I'm from Central Texas and we don't have much of an accent so I love hearing accents. 

Edited by ElenaFR
3 minutes ago, ElenaFR said:

When Kash is talking fast, I need subtitles, ha! I think she is cute. I'm from Central Texas and we don't have much of an accent so I love hearing accents. 

I still don’t know what Kashara said during her introduction lol. Something about cars and oil lol! 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I still don’t know what Kashara said during her introduction lol. Something about cars and oil lol! 

"I thoroughly love cars, if you ever need help. I'll probably change your oil too"

• Love 2

My 23 yo son used to love Kashara (not as much as Molly!), but after this episode, he told me he couldn't like her anymore because she "dropped the O bomb" (oil).  Yes, my son was born and raised right here in ATL, but he can't stand the uber southern-isms.  He probably would have come unglued if she had also "dropped the T bomb" (tire pronounced tar).  I, OTOH, find it delightful!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LadyMsJay said:

5 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

It's where I grew up (Rockville with school in DC and while Montgomery county doesn't have the thickest of accents its all dependent on who you are around as well and what part of Maryland they're from which will, esp when you're a child, affect your own accent), only moving to the UK when I was older (and being forced through elocution lessons by my mother to lose my accent which didn't work remotely and left me with some god awful mix of the two that people gnerally assume is either canadian or for some reason australian) so its an accent I'm pretty familiar with so yeah, I know that some people do speak that way, myself included when Im back for any length of time or talk to friends that still live/work in that area

Hi fellow Marylanders!! 

I love Kashara’s accent! She’s adorable and I wish I had a southern accent so I could be adorable too!!  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Collette1104 said:

Hi fellow Marylanders!! 

I love Kashara’s accent! She’s adorable and I wish I had a southern accent so I could be adorable too!!  

For those of us in MD/DC/Montgomery Co- who wants to get together for a watching party? I’m right in the middle- 20mins North of DC, 30 mins from Baltimore and Annapolis. I will host if anyone is interested. The finale episode? Maybe at 8pm on Fri since 10 is a bit late to start the party on a thurs? Anyone interested? If anyone from other states want to travel in, that’s fine with me as well. 

We could have good food, a drinking game (alcohol consumption NOT required) and try our version of favorite DCC moves? 

Moving over to non-show talk thread to repost and discuss. 

Edited by Taralightner
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

How about the fact if you grow up in Manhattan, you will not have an accent. But New York and New Jersey suburbs? Oh hell yes. And it doesn’t go away. Trust me.

Taking the accent talk to Small Talk....

• Love 3

Just a little anecdote for you. While re-watching this episode, I tried to follow Kashara's teaching of the signature dance. After she says- a five and six, arms up and out, I was pretty much done, no such luck. After my family goes to bed, I practice the kick line in my living room. I stop when the house starts to shake and I wake my kids up. My 17 year-old me- "Ma, give it up, you were a cheerleader 30 years ago- you're 48 now. Stop embarrassing the family. Move on !" So, I did move one.......... to the sideline dances!!

• Love 16