Type keyword(s) to search

Cajun Aces - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I caught it yesterday too. I thought everything they made looked great. And I liked them. Not sure I’d put the potato salad on the gumbo but it intrigued me. 

I am going to make that bean salad soon. That looked so good. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

I caught it yesterday too. I thought everything they made looked great. And I liked them. Not sure I’d put the potato salad on the gumbo but it intrigued me. 

Yeah, I’m not convinced about the potato salad in the gumbo either.  It all looked really good though!

39 minutes ago, Peper81 said:

Yeah, I’m not convinced about the potato salad in the gumbo either.  It all looked really good though!

If you make the gumbo let us know how it turned out!  Looks like a lot of whisking time for that roux. I generally yell for relief when doing that lol. 

Publix makes incredible (albeit pricey) pre made salads. And I’m a huge sucker for Greek Salads. A few years ago I got one and there was a big scoop of potato salad on it. It was hidden by the information/price tag. I thought that was odd and actually figured the assembler made a mistake and said oh well and put it out for sale. Bought another and same thing!  They’ve since removed it but that seemed weird as all get out to me! And I didn’t like it (though I love tater salad on its own).

Everything looked really good, especially the gumbo and salad. I like the trick of roasting the chicken first and using whole thighs. 

I also have never had the patience to get a roux to a chocolate brown I only have the patience for a medium caramel color but I’ll give it a shot next time using  the hot oil trick. 

I would like to know what’s in their Cajun seasoning mix. I understand they might not want to share their secret but that seems to be a key to all their recipes. (I’ve been using Slap Yer Mama but if anyone has any other recommendations? )

I like both of them, she’s cool, he’s a little dorky. Would love to spend a day cooking with them in that amazing outdoor kitchen. 

• Love 1

I ended up making the gumbo and it was really good.  It took awhile for the roux to get dark and I ended up getting a blister on my finger but I think it’s because I didn’t have the oil hot enough.  I had to make a few tweaks as some of the ingredients I don’t have access to (file seasoning) and some I didn’t have at home (green peppers) but it still turned out really good.  It wasn’t hard at all.  I made sure to do the prep work beforehand and had the chicken done before I needed it because I was trying to do it all by myself.  I had a few moments of fear that it wasn’t going to turn out because the roux part wasn’t blending like I thought it would but it ended up blending in the end.  I’d definitely do this recipe again but I might cheat and get a pre-made roux. 

• Love 1

I wasn’t sure about the format change (the first season or first four episodes of this season or however they’re calling those episodes is on the Food Network app) but I think it works and should bring in better ratings than random saturday night airings. They’ll probably get better in a S&S setting as these episodes go on too.

23 hours ago, Peper81 said:

I just watched the episode that aired this morning with the chicken gumbo.  I thought it looked so good.  Thinking I might try to make it this weekend.

Yeah it looked really good except I don’t know about okra. Not really my thing.

7 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I’m not a catfish fan, not the biggest seafood fan in general, but I wonder if you could do the thin fry on like a flounder or trout.

3 hours ago, Refresh said:

Everything looked really good, especially the gumbo and salad. I like the trick of roasting the chicken first and using whole thighs. 

I also have never had the patience to get a roux to a chocolate brown I only have the patience for a medium caramel color but I’ll give it a shot next time using  the hot oil trick. 

I would like to know what’s in their Cajun seasoning mix. I understand they might not want to share their secret but that seems to be a key to all their recipes. (I’ve been using Slap Yer Mama but if anyone has any other recommendations? )

I like both of them, she’s cool, he’s a little dorky. Would love to spend a day cooking with them in that amazing outdoor kitchen. 

Yeah that kitchen is a highlight for sure!

This show is new to me, but I live in LA. It is traditional to put a scoop of potato salad in your bowl of gumbo but I have never been able to do it. I'm one of those people who can't stand for my food to touch! Even though I'm almost 60 years old I still use a divided (sectioned) plate. :o) Most cajun seasoning blends have the same spices in them, just in different combinations. I prefer Slap Your Mama to the other commercial blends I've tried. 

BTW, there's a big debate about whether to put tomatoes in your gumbo or not... "Real" cajuns don't do it. It's a creole thing. Creole- is a mix of cajun and some (any) other people.

Edited to clarify - LA as in Louisiana, not Los Angeles 

Edited by YupItsMe
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2018 at 3:37 PM, Skyfall said:

They gave their seasoning recipe on the new episode. I wonder if that was supposed to be episode one.

I was thinking the same thing, they reordered. Probs because FN felt a Cajun show had to have gumbo in the first episode. I get that,  but now that it’s out of the way,  I’m enjoying seeing foods I’m not as familiar with. 

I want to make that La Bouie pie. OMG.