Type keyword(s) to search

Mayans MC - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So I saw a few commercials for this.  Is it a direct spinoff of Sons of Anarchy?  Because I think there was a rival gang called The Mayans in that show, and the commercials are very evocative of Sons of Anarchy.

• Love 1
On 8/23/2018 at 5:37 AM, Ray Adverb said:

So I saw a few commercials for this.  Is it a direct spinoff of Sons of Anarchy?  Because I think there was a rival gang called The Mayans in that show, and the commercials are very evocative of Sons of Anarchy.

I just hope it isn't SO A all over a g ain. Needs to stand on its own.

• Love 4

The previews look interesting. I know it won't happen, but I really wish that the lead was an undercover cop. Just once I would love to see these gang members arrested and locked up for their crimes in the series finale.,

• Love 2

WOW WOW WOW!!

Where to begin?  EZ is going to be an interesting character.  Especially since the love of his life is married to the king of the cartel.  Have to admit I did not see that coming.  She doesn't seem like she'd be the type to do that, but I guess we will see.  I thought there would be some twist where the baby is EZ's but with the time jump, it's not possible.

Gemma!!  OMG!  That freaked me out!   But if it was 8 years ago, the timing makes sense.

I am hoping we see Nero pop in.  He was close with Alvarez, so that would be a treat.

• Love 11

Ok, I'm in.  I've always liked JD Pardo, and EJO, so I'm here for this.  EZ is in deep, man, so I'm excited to see where we go from here.  He's so tangled already.  I totally didn't get that his old girl was going to be the cartel dude's chick.  You'd think I haven't ever watched TV.    Special shoutout to EZ's brother too because I find him compelling.  

Not gonna lie, but I was mighty excited to see Alvarez.  Also excited to see T1000 play the leader of another chapter of the Sons!  I wanted to scream "how's Happy and Chibs doin'? Y'all chat much?".  I felt as I always felt seeing the Gemma cameo (girl, bye).   They got me banking on nostalgia and my SOA love, but I did like that pretty cool cemetery shootout with the Samoans (lots of Samoan's in SoCal?), so I have hope that they live and ride on their own merit. 

Edited by TrininisaScorp
  • Love 7

I think SOA was so good that this show, even though it’s a little different, will never measure up to its predecessors greatness.   It will always be compared to SoAz 

When a show or movie is such a hit, it’s sequels seldom measure up.  

• Love 3

I don’t know.  This one didn’t grab me like SOA did right from the start.  I don’t even know anyone’s names except for EZ.  I will probably keep with it but I will watch The Purge over on USA live from now on.  

I don’t  think any of the stories actually grabbed me.  The only time I was actually interested was the Gemma Easter egg.  I am hoping EZ’s ex and the cartel guys wife plays a bigger part then just “love interest.” Otherwise I am kinda....ehhhh? About this.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t know.  This one didn’t grab me like SOA did tight from the start.

On the one hand I totally agree with this.  

On the other hand I also agree with this: 

38 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I certainly liked it better than I liked SOA in the final season.

Although for me it isn't final season it was from about season 4 on. 

I wonder if the coy-dog (that's my presumption as to what that dog he keeps seeing is) will be like Jax's lady. 

I do LOVE that their "big bad" of the year (I presume) are those who have a righteous beef with the cartel and is made up of all the people whose lives have been destroyed by the cartel.  (Which may be loosely based on actual groups that exist there)

• Love 2

Hmm not sure what to think of this show yet. Lots of twists and turns. Seems like a similar version of SOA with the club doing bad things and one guy wanting to get the club out of those things. Also thought most of the actors were really bad, especially that one guy who kept saying, "My bad."

I'll keep watching just because I imagine it'll get better but I wouldn't say it caught my attention yet. 

Also, since when could they say the F word every other sentence on Fox?

• Love 1

I think I figured out why I liked SOA from the start and this is kinda meh for me.   Even for a high octane testosterone show SOA had a strong female cast even from day one.  This just doesn't.  SOA's female cast not only had their own storylines they had interactions with each other and had a real history.   This just doesn't have that history.  I just don't feel it.  I know I am judging it too harshly but I tend to judge a show on its female cast.  Its just me.  But this lacks any really female cohesiveness.  And that kinda annoys me.  

I liked the final season of SOA.  It wasn't that bad considering I didn't really like a certain fight and how it ended.  Other then that I thought it was a decent end to the show.    

Don't get me wrong I will still watch it.  But just not live.  I have The Purge on USA which has more potential and larger female cast and a few of them look like they are going to go hog wild. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

Yeah, for me I'll watch The Purge and catch this show later.  

Also, I don't know how much I can take of, oh, 75% of the dialogue having subtitles.  I understand why it's necessary but it takes me out of the scenes.

• Love 2

Hard to believe that a gunfight could drop that many bodies at the cemetery without anyone showing up. An entire generation of Samoans are gone and  a bunch of motorcycles are not exactly stealth vehicles. I do believe that is the first time I saw a gang bring a sniper to a fight but then given the tactical situation art the start there is no way they survive to get to the gun van. 

• Love 1

Surprisingly I didn't find myself comparing it to SOA much even with the scattered reminders.

I really enjoyed the first episode and thought EZ is a promising character. That being said, I thought things seemed a bit rushed. Like we found out too many things all at once. The DEA guy, EZ's old love being with the cartel leader, his brother helping the cartel's enemy... I don't think it would have hurt if we hadn't gotten all that information just yet.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

So the timeline is pre-SOA?

No the prison flashback where EZ was being held 8 years ago. I think they are in real time and two years past the ends of SOA.

• Love 4

I enjoyed it, I'll definitely watch a few more episodes. I agree that EZ is compelling and I like his brother too. Even though I hated Gemma by the end of SOA, I did enjoy her little cameo. EZ's ex (Emily?) reminds me of Saoirse Ronan. I remember Danny Pino from SVU and never really thought he was attractive but he's kinda hot as Galindo. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think I figured out why I liked SOA from the start and this is kinda meh for me.   Even for a high octane testosterone show SOA had a strong female cast even from day one.  This just doesn't.  SOA's female cast not only had their own storylines they had interactions with each other and had a real history.   This just doesn't have that history.  I just don't feel it.  I know I am judging it too harshly but I tend to judge a show on its female cast.  Its just me.  But this lacks any really female cohesiveness.  And that kinda annoys me.  

I don't remember enough about the first episodes of season 1, but I do agree with you that I would like to see strong female cast here too. I have high hopes that the leader of the vigilante group will be that person. As I was driving in this morning I realized that THAT story is the one I'd prefer to see. I'd love to see a show from the viewpoint of the vigilante group working to take down the cartels (and their own corrupt government officials).  I hope they are a long thorn in the Mayans' side. 

• Love 3

So that is a LOT of information to drop, and a lot of factions here. We have the Mayans, the Cartel, the vigilante group, and the DEA as the main players, and thats not even counting SAMCRO, EZs family, and the various other gangs running around the place. This show has potential, and I like the cast a lot, but I am going to need a few more episodes to decide if I want to comitt to the season. I kind of gave up on Sons, then came back for the ending, so I am a little gun shy on this franchise, so we will just have to see where it goes. 

I especially like the vigilante group, and the twist about how EZs high school sweetheart is now with the Cartel guy. Those ideas have a lot of promise. And the music is really great as well, so thats another point in its favor! And I liked seeing some ties into Sons, like the Gemma cameo in the flashback, and another chapter showing up to back the Mayans up. 

• Love 3

Besides EZ, my first instinct is to root for the rebels, no matter how ruthless their tactics are.  I figure they have to be ruthless considering their quarry.  I am not rooting for the Cartel and I pretty much took an immediate dislike to the head honcho and his wife, I don't care whose ex she is.

• Love 3

I don’t know why these guys ever have to look up and see who is coming in the door, those fucking loud motorcycles pretty much give you a clue. 

So we got a young guy having to prove himself in the club. He wasn’t club royalty like Jax, but similar situation. And with a heart of gold, and a brain. Like Jax.

Love the geniuses taking fruitless potshots at the fleeing thieves instead of saving their guys in the trucks. Brothers. 

Not a fan of the opening music. Reminds me of the central conceit of SOA that I never liked: That these guys had no choice,  circumstances forced them into this life. Even as we saw one SOA character after another make bad decisions that led to their downfall. Jax was interesting because he could see that, and wanted out. He failed, due to his decisions and misplaced “family” love, but at the start he showed us that the fruitlessness was clear and there were better paths. 

The prospect is already there, as an informant. And already is Jax Jr. Would have liked something original. 

Actually disliked almost all the music in this episode. It was too retro. And it was weirdly used. Music for sitting down at a meeting? 

So how long was this dude injured before they took him to the doctor? They had time for a cartel meeting first? 

That dog gets around. 

Why does the prospect check out women across streetscapes 24/7?

So the solution to this issue was a massive firefight with automatic rifles in a graveyard? Wouldn’t a snatch and grab make more sense?

The pres of the MC is kind of a jackass. 

Cartel wife/old girlfriend wears too much blush. 

I dunno. It was so-so. EJO’s presence alone guarantees I watch at least three episodes. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Did I miss something?  Did Gemma make an appearance?

Yes... and she said “assholes” while the guards scuffled with the jailed preprospect. Kind of funny. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Ottis said:

That dog gets around. 

I got a weird spiritual or supernatural vibe from the omnipresence of the dog. Why is he always around? Definitely a lot going on, but I'll watch, hell watched all of SOA, why not. I don't like the actress who plays EZs ex and cartel dude's wife. I don't know, it seems odd that a cartel honcho would marry a gringa. I don't buy that she's really down, but we'll see.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

I got a weird spiritual or supernatural vibe from the omnipresence of the dog. Why is he always around? Definitely a lot going on, but I'll watch, hell watched all of SOA, why not. I don't like the actress who plays EZs ex and cartel dude's wife. I don't know, it seems odd that a cartel honcho would marry a gringa. I don't buy that she's really down, but we'll see.

Definitely. And the theme song is about being a dog that is kicked around, and a member of a pack. We'll see the dog for a while, I assume. I'm impressed at his survival skills and mobility.

• Love 1
On 9/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I liked the final season of SOA.  It wasn't that bad considering I didn't really like a certain fight and how it ended.  Other then that I thought it was a decent end to the show.    

Don't get me wrong I will still watch it.  But just not live.  I have The Purge on USA which has more potential and larger female cast and a few of them look like they are going to go hog wild. 

I don't need every show to establish some sort of balance. There aren't many women here? Didn't even cross my mind. 

Also, it's one episode. No idea how the show will pan out or how characters are developed. No one was fleshed out except EZ and his brother anyway.

• Love 4

So far, so good.  Wonder if these motorcycle  gangs are reality (still) in Cali? Or if Kurt Sutter has developed these trappings...the jackets, the table with a crest in the center, the hierarchy, the extended networks of clubs.  

The Hell's Angels have (had) national presence, but are there many of these groups?

• Love 1

Finally uploaded to On Demand and was able to watch today.  My thoughts:

- From the opening scene, I immediately thought, 'SoA 2.0'  Same symbolism - main character riding alone while the carcass of a crow is getting picked over (and I'm hoping this thing with the dog isn't going to be some lame symbol like the bag lady was) 

- Gemma in the flashback.  Not surprised since KS hasn't been able to get/keep any work since SoA (Sutter's Bastard Executioner only lasted a season and Superior Donuts was cancelled after 2)  If the flashbacks become a 'thing' we'll probably see more of her, I'm guessing.

- Aren't very familiar with a lot of the members and their names to try to compare them to their SoA counterparts, but I'm getting vibes about Coco having a Tig-like manner to him.  I find his sniper skills fascinating and wonder if he was in the Army/Marines.  I'd like to see that explored down the line.  However, after his third 'My bad' , I was like.....'Okay, I"m over it.  Not cute anymore"

- The ex-gf is meh.  I thought her dropping the 'f' word in the first flashback seemed so out of place and forced and could've sworn I sensed a Canadian accent.  And where is their baby?  Did she keep it?  If she had that ultrasound in the flashback the child would be 8 by now.

- Alvarez is no 'Il Padrino' - love it!

- Seeing one of the Sons' charters ride up to back them up in the cemetery made me squee.

- I understand the storyline with EZ - making a deal to spy on what Galindo is up to in exchange for his early prison release, but I'm a bit confused as to what Angel, Coco and Gilly are doing behind the club's back with Adelita.

I'm interested, I'll say that much.  SoA kept me in until the beginning of S4 when everything began to unwravel.  I watched it on and off after that.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ctlady said:

but I'm a bit confused as to what Angel, Coco and Gilly are doing behind the club's back with Adelita.

I thought it was the beginning of a palace coup, of sorts, as those three are not satisfied with the direction the club is taking and they want the power, so they're trying to set management up for a disaster.

3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I thought it was the beginning of a palace coup, of sorts, as those three are not satisfied with the direction the club is taking and they want the power, so they're trying to set management up for a disaster.

Yeah but they don't seem to have the brains to take over. And what will the ramifications be when the word gets out? Turning on your club seems like a good way to lose respect and your life. 

That's probably part of the deal.  If they were smart, they would pull a trick out of the Corleone playbook and lay their plot off on one of the other members, and then look good by coming to the rescue, or something like that.  But having an IQ with at least a fighting chance at three digits is not necessarily a qualification for motorcycle gang membership.

17 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I thought it was because Adelita and her team would take down the cartel and that would get the Mayans out of the drug business, not that they would necessarily become the front guys. 

On 9/5/2018 at 8:40 PM, Ohwell said:

75% of the dialogue having subtitles.  I understand why it's necessary but it takes me out of the scenes.

My thoughts on this are that if they all speak Spanish, why are they speaking English at all with each other? I get they are doing it for the show's sake, but in reality, would they really speak English as much of the time as they do?

2 hours ago, llewis823 said:

My thoughts on this are that if they all speak Spanish, why are they speaking English at all with each other? I get they are doing it for the show's sake, but in reality, would they really speak English as much of the time as they do?

They spent the time to say at least one club members only had limited Spanish 

• Love 1

If the show is trying to make me feel any sympathy and compassion for the cartel boss, his wife, his family - it is not succeeding.  The cartel kills and tortures countless innocents. They are the devil and I have no sympathy for the devil.  EZ' ex knew who she was getting with and she knows who she is married to.  Neither she or her scum bag husband in a designer suit deserve any blessing, or peace or happiness.  Of course now she is trying to batten her eyelashes at EZ.

Coco grew on me this episode, he is a unique character.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 9