Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

Watchmen

Coming to HBO in 2019!

Watchmen is an upcoming American drama television series, based on the comic book limited series of the same name created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, that is set to premiere in 2019 on HBO. The series was created by Damon Lindelof, who is also set to write and executive produce.

Watchmen is set in "an alternate history where 'superheroes' are treated as outlaws" and "embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own."

Cast

• Regina King
  • Don Johnson
  • Tim Blake Nelson as Looking Glass
  • Louis Gossett Jr.
  • Adelaide Clemens
  • Andrew Howard
  • Jeremy Irons as Adrian Veidt / Ozymandias
  • Tom Mison
  • Frances Fisher
  • Jacob Ming-Trent
  • Yahya Abdul-Mateen II
  • Sara Vickers
  • Dylan Schombing
  • Adelynn Spoon
  • Lily Rose Smith
  • Jean Smart as Agent Blake
  • James Wolk
  • Hong Chau as Lady T.

The movie was nothing short of epic!  Great_ performances from all the characters and the soundtrack was excellent. Not sure if a  TV series  can  even come close to comparison, will have to give it an episode or two. 

• Like 2

My advice:

1. Read it.

2. Be disappointed by any and all adaptations.

Dont even think of the Before Watchmen books or Doomsday Clock. The original stands on its own as one of the best comic stories ever.

• Like 1

The original stands on its own as one of the best comic stories ever.

Also one of the most depressing things I've ever read.  Which doesn't, of course, take away from it's greatness.

• Like 2

The Most Anticipated TV of 2019

“Watchmen”
HBO
Damon Lindelof’s return to television would be highly anticipated, regardless of what the project was, but given that it is a series based on Alan Moore’s graphic novel of the same name, the interest is that much higher. In another feat of worldbuilding, “Watchmen” is set in a time and place where superheroes are not celebrated as saviors, but rather hunted as outlaws. Lindelof will be putting his own spin on the story, rather than ripping plot strictly from the comic pages.

• Like 1

First little bit of footage released tonight during the Golden Globes - almost 7 whole seconds in between True Detective and Euphoria footage!! (starts at :13)

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, Lantern7 said:

Dont even think of the Before Watchmen books or Doomsday Clock.

Dare I ask?

It's interesting that the title of this thread refers to the graphic novel. I read, and still have, the original comics as they were released. 

It was truly a different era. No internet, no Comicon hype, no spoilers. It's hard to overstate how original it felt compared to mainstream comics.

(Same with Miller's Dark Knight Returns.)

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, scrb said:

Damon Lindelhof is apparently in charge.

Ugh!

Well, I just lost (heh) all interest in watching now.

• Like 1

Casting news;

Sun Records alum Dustin Ingram has been tapped for a key recurring role on Watchmen, HBO’s upcoming drama series from Damon Lindelof based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ iconic limited comic series.

Filming information:

Watchmen is now filming in a few areas of the downtown area of the town I live in. They have transformed a few block section of one of the main streets into

Spoiler

a Vietnamese commercial district. I don't remember all of the details, but here are some of the ones I do remember:  They have several Vietnamese storefronts set up. There are clothing stores and restaurants, and some kind of entertainment establishments. I think I remember some sort of music production implied maybe? There are rickshaws, props of fake fruits and other staples like rice bags, etc. The median in middle of the street has red paper lanterns strung along multiple trees, and there is a marker sign that says Saigon.  In one section of the street on the other side from the "commercial district," they have potted palm trees and a bunch of sandbags set up.

They will be filming for a few days in this area.

From Deadline, which included the above tease;

Even as Game of Thrones winds down, HBO has been ramping up another sprawling adaptation of a genre epic that defies almost every traditional expectation about episodic television. It’s Watchmen, based on the namesake comic book epic by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons and published by DC Comics in the 1980s. HBO released the teaser today, you can watch it by clicking on the image above.

Set in an alternate history where superheroes are viewed as outlaws, the new drama from executive producer Damon Lindelof is rooted in the same universe as the source material but strikes out in new directions with unfamiliar characters and a different story to tell. The cast includes: Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Jean Smart, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Hong Chau, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing, and James Wolk.

Watchmen is considered by many comics fans to be the masterpiece of its medium. Dark and disturbing, the original Moore and Gibbons epic showed the personal lives of the heroes veer into excess, corruption and madness even as their public exploits tilted historic events (such as the JFK assassination, Vietnam, and Watergate) in different directions.

The magnum opus was adapted as a feature film by Warner Bros and director Zack Snyder in 2009 with results that divided fans. The new Watchmen is neither a sequel nor a remake. That’s clear in the teaser which makes major use of a signature Watchmen visual — the ink-splotch mask of Rorschach — but has no correlation to any of the events depicted in the comics.