Type keyword(s) to search

Veronica Mars Revival

• Start Topic

On 11/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, ouinason said:

If people judge my character now based on who I was as a teenager than I would be without a lot of people in my life. Logan didn't kill anyone, he's not a rapist, or child molester. Those are all no take-backs kind of things. I don't see anything that he did on the show that was irredeemable. Was definitely an assshole though. I wouldn't date him

To add to that, while I have never been a huge Logan fan I am usually fine with cutting him a huge amount of slack, just because the amount of trauma the guy went through in the original show (and the events leading up to it) were insane. They were also the kind of thing a lot of adults couldn't handle much less a 15-18 year old kid. He is a guy who grew up in a pretty brutally abusive household (and from what I can tell no one ever tried to help him not even the sheriff), then in high school his girlfriend broke up with him and then was brutally murdered. He later found out that his dad was not only the murderer but also in a sexual relationship with that same girlfriend.  Then his mom kills herself and his dad tries to kill his current girlfriend. Dad gets off on all charges but is murdered himself shortly after.  On top of that he himself is also charged with a separate murder.  And that is just the shit that went down while he was in high school. It seems like if people are going to give Veronica some slack for some of the more negative parts of her personality because of the trauma she suffered, shouldn't that huge paragraph worth of trauma earn Logan some of the same consideration?

• Love 14
On 12/9/2018 at 7:40 PM, marshmallows said:

I'm not saying that Logan wasn't put off by Veronica dating Piz. But he most definitely did not beat Piz up because of jealousy. Logan would have kicked who's ever ass it was that actually broadcasted the sex tape, which we see him do in the series finale. He also apologizes to Piz, because he knew he was wrong. He thought he was right in the heat of the moment, but he realized he made a mistake.

Let me say upfront, I don’t hate Logan. But I’m gonna play devil’s advocate a bit. While I don’t think Logan was motivated solely by jealousy, he wasn’t motivated by a sense of justice, either. He reacted because it was Veronica on the tape. If it had been anyone else, would Logan have given a damn? Or would he have laughed right along with Dick, just as he did over the latter’s plan to roofie and rape Madison?

As for his apology to Piz, it was a weak one, IMO, given what he’d done. But far more disturbing was his so-called “mistake.” Your post implies that the mistake was assuming Piz was behind the tape. And he was mistaken about that, but it wasn’t a particularly unreasonable assumption. How about the mistake of beating the shit out of someone? That wasn’t a fight, it was an attack, an assault. It was reminiscent -deliberately so, I believe - of Aaron’s behavior. Logan wasn’t wrong because he chose the wrong target for his violence, but because he chose violence.

It’s not charming. It’s not romantic. It’s a giant red flag.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 5
On 12/11/2018 at 2:46 PM, Melgaypet said:

Let me say upfront, I don’t hate Logan. But I’m gonna play devil’s advocate a bit. While I don’t think Logan was motivated solely by jealousy, he wasn’t motivated by a sense of justice, either. He reacted because it was Veronica on the tape. If it had been anyone else, would Logan have given a damn? Or would he have laughed right along with Dick, just as he did over the latter’s plan to roofie and rape Madison?

As for his apology to Piz, it was a weak one, IMO, given what he’d done. But far more disturbing was his so-called “mistake.” Your post implies that the mistake was assuming Piz was behind the tape. And he was mistaken about that, but it wasn’t a particularly unreasonable assumption. How about the mistake of beating the shit out of someone? That wasn’t a fight, it was an attack, an assault. It was reminiscent -deliberately so, I believe - of Aaron’s behavior. Logan wasn’t wrong because he chose the wrong target for his violence, but because he chose violence.

It’s not charming. It’s not romantic. It’s a giant red flag.

I do think he did what he did because of Veronica. He cared about her fiercely, so he would do irrational things to protect her. He definitely wouldn't have done this for someone he didn't know. But, it still wasn't about jealousy. It was about someone wronging Veronica.

I'm not saying it was the greatest apology of all time, I'm just saying at least he apologized. I doubt previous s1 & s2 Logan would have.

I mean he made a mistake about who he thought did it.  I'm not saying someone deserves to be hospitalized over sharing a sex tape, but a good ass beating might be needed for doing something like that. So I'm not totally against Logan on the violence in this case. 

I never said it was romantic or charming. So I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, marshmallows said:

I do think he did what he did because of Veronica. He cared about her fiercely, so he would do irrational things to protect her. He definitely wouldn't have done this for someone he didn't know. But, it still wasn't about jealousy. It was about someone wronging Veronica.

I'm not saying it was the greatest apology of all time, I'm just saying at least he apologized. I doubt previous s1 & s2 Logan would have.

I mean he made a mistake about who he thought did it.  I'm not saying someone deserves to be hospitalized over sharing a sex tape, but a good ass beating might be needed for doing something like that. So I'm not totally against Logan on the violence in this case. 

I never said it was romantic or charming. So I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

I agree Logan genuinely cared about Veronica. But I also see some territorialism/possessiveness, if not jealousy, in his reaction. He didn't go to Veronica to talk to her, to give her a heads-up (he had no reason to think she was aware the tape existed), to offer his support, to ask what she wanted to do. No, he made it all about himself. Someone LOGAN cared about had been wronged, LOGAN needed to get revenge. Immediately, and to hell with what the actual wronged party (i.e. NOT LOGAN) might feel or want. And most of all, I was deeply disturbed (and I give the show enough credit to think I was supposed to be) that extreme violence was Logan's go-to solution. Like I said, it was very reminiscent of Aaron's violence. That may be unsurprising, in a "replicating my abuser's behavior" sense. It's still deeply not-okay, and I don't give Logan a pass just because he was factually wrong about Piz's actions (as opposed to morally wrong in his own), or because he was "defending" Veronica, who a) can defend herself just fine, and b) is not a piece of property to be defended with no regard to her actual wishes. Who's to say Logan will never turn that violence on a romantic partner or any children he might have? That's what Aaron did, after all. (If we believe him about his own abusive childhood, which I do.)

No, you didn't say it was romantic or charming, and I didn't mean to imply you did. Sorry about that, I should have been more clear. By that point in my post I had moved on from responding to you specifically to more general Thoughts On Logan and This Incident.

(And, wow, can I get more parenthetical in this post? I think I can!)

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 3
On 12/12/2018 at 10:47 PM, Melgaypet said:

I agree Logan genuinely cared about Veronica. But I also see some territorialism/possessiveness, if not jealousy, in his reaction. He didn't go to Veronica to talk to her, to give her a heads-up (he had no reason to think she was aware the tape existed), to offer his support, to ask what she wanted to do. No, he made it all about himself. Someone LOGAN cared about had been wronged, LOGAN needed to get revenge. Immediately, and to hell with what the actual wronged party (i.e. NOT LOGAN) might feel or want. And most of all, I was deeply disturbed (and I give the show enough credit to think I was supposed to be) that extreme violence was Logan's go-to solution. Like I said, it was very reminiscent of Aaron's violence. That may be unsurprising, in a "replicating my abuser's behavior" sense. It's still deeply not-okay, and I don't give Logan a pass just because he was factually wrong about Piz's actions (as opposed to morally wrong in his own), or because he was "defending" Veronica, who a) can defend herself just fine, and b) is not a piece of property to be defended with no regard to her actual wishes. Who's to say Logan will never turn that violence on a romantic partner or any children he might have? That's what Aaron did, after all. (If we believe him about his own abusive childhood, which I do.)

No, you didn't say it was romantic or charming, and I didn't mean to imply you did. Sorry about that, I should have been more clear. By that point in my post I had moved on from responding to you specifically to more general Thoughts On Logan and This Incident.

(And, wow, can I get more parenthetical in this post? I think I can!)

I think you have some great points about Logan on this. He definitely should have went to Veronica first, but he wasn't thinking rationally. I could honestly see Veronica doing something very similar with not telling the wronged party but just getting revenge on her own in her own way (which wouldn't be violence in her case, but some sort of well thought out scheme).

He definitely exhibits some red flag violent behavior, but I think a lot of it is his age and lack of parental guidance and love. Logan has never shown any signs of being violent towards women or children. He is quite protective and caring toward both which is evident in the show.

I just think he has a lot of growing up to do. He is a very hot headed kind of person who doesn't really think about the consequences of his actions.

And though I completely understand your points and can see how they are valid, I just don't view Logan's actions as a path to becoming like his father. It would have been interesting if the show had continued if he had dealt with all that rage and pondered wanting to not be like his father and recognize that some of his behavior was not healthy though.

• Love 3

The discipline of a military training and career could be very good for him.  Teaching him to control his impulses and emotional responses and to think things through before acting would address a lot of the issues that many people had with Logan.  My impression was that he was finally starting to grow up, but with a lot of hiccups, in S3 (STARTING), and it looked in the movie like he had a chance to do a lot more work in that direction.

• Love 3
On 4/13/2019 at 12:21 AM, atomic said:

TVLine reports that all eight episodes will be released at once.

Oh, dear. How the hell to keep myself from scarfing all the eps down in one sitting? Between this and my Deadwood rewatch (Hi, Kristen Bell in an breakout guest-starring role!), I'll hopefully be well on my way to recovering from post- Game of Thrones-finale trauma.

• Love 2

This is going to be tough, because I completely identify KB with Eleanor Shellstrop now, and it'll be hard to see her back as Veronica. She's done such a good job of investing herself so deeply in both of them that it's hard to see her as anyone else. It'll be okay because the VM stuff will be over before the Good Place comes back, but I can see my little brain struggling to figure all this out. 

• Love 2

So is this taking place after the books or are they making the books into season 4? I remember there being major concerns about spring break in Neptune being ruined, but don't remember bombs just abductions. 

35 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

So is this taking place after the books or are they making the books into season 4? I remember there being major concerns about spring break in Neptune being ruined, but don't remember bombs just abductions. 

No, per Rob Thomas it's a similar premise (murders during spring break) but it's not an adaptation of the book:

On 9/22/2018 at 10:51 PM, JamieLynn832002 said:

It's close to the plot of The Thousand Dollar Tan Line but that was missing girls not murdered boys and Rob Thomas says it's not the same story and the books are mostly canon.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, whiporee said:

This is going to be tough, because I completely identify KB with Eleanor Shellstrop now, and it'll be hard to see her back as Veronica. She's done such a good job of investing herself so deeply in both of them that it's hard to see her as anyone else. It'll be okay because the VM stuff will be over before the Good Place comes back, but I can see my little brain struggling to figure all this out. 

She was Veronica (and to a lesser degree the voice of Gossip Girl) SO indelibly before any of that though.  I never liked her in her theatrical career though, and only thought House of Lies was so-so, so The Good Place was such a welcome return to quality for her. 

• Love 1

Recently binged this series and really enjoyed it.  The film, I thought, was a watered down version of the show so I'm hoping the revival is edgier and more interesting, and takes more risks.  Would love to see what became of Duncan and (little) Lilly, although I understand that the Duncan actor is no longer in the biz.  I'd also like to see the soapy/relationship elements be better woven into the overall story, instead of taking it over as it seemed to do in the third season.  I liked the Logan/Veronica romance as teens; I'd like to see if they'd be truly compatible as adults.  Generally, people grow and change as adults and want different things; the movie seemed to really gloss over this.  Would also love to see what Wallace has been up in his personal life, as more than just Veronica's BFF.  Basically, I hope the new series has engaging, well-thought out writing, and isn't so concerned with pleasing fans.  Usually, when the writing is strong, the fans are pleased, regardless, even if some don't quite get everything they want.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have avoided getting Hulu but darn it! My VM love is strong. And given the quality of iZombie I don't think Rob Thomas would do it without a strong idea. I also think 8 eps is perfect. I liked Jessica Jones the first season mostly because there wasn't too much room for deadwood. I think that format will work very well here.

I like Kristen Bell for owning this role despite having created Eleanor too. I think of House of Lies as her pregnant years and just hanging with Don Cheadle for a bit (man she does well with older dudes). 

My hope is they admit it is 14 years later. A VM at 31 or 32 is very interesting. She's always been confident but at thirty you can see how education choices, career decisions, and relationship decisions might not be working out. Or working out.

And there are so many social issues! MeToo, the border, meth epidemic, race, gig economy. So many ideas. 

Edited by jeansheridan
Thumbs. THUMBS
  • Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, lvbalgurl said:

Basically, I hope the new series has engaging, well-thought out writing, and isn't so concerned with pleasing fans. 

I agree wholesale! The movie was pure fan fluff (although Logan in the military was a nice idea for his character and it surprised me and suited the actor). If Jason is as big as he was in iZombie, he will be very convincing as a career military guy. He's shockingly large given his normal body type seemed to be on the thinner side.

But yeah, I want more for Wallace and Mac this time around. I think Wallace in particular was sidelined way too much after season 1. But I also liked that Veronica had two female friends in season 2 and I hope she has one or two in the new series (I wonder if they can get the Jessica Jones actress. She's reportedly pregnant but that would be hilarious. She was such a cheery character on the show!).

Edited by jeansheridan
3 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I wonder if they can get the Jessica Jones actress. She's reportedly pregnant but that would be hilarious. She was such a cherry character on the show!).

Spoiler

I never watched Jessica Jones, but I’m guessing you mean Krysten Ritter, who played Gia Goodman. Her character was killed at the end of the movie.

Thank Babalu. I totally forgot. . Krysten Ritter is another VM alum who has had a mixed career, but after Jessica Jones I hope she'll get more work. She was sharp on that show. And she wrote a decent mystery novel which was nicely unpretentious (no Hollywood references, just a straight up going back home to solve a mystery sort of tale). But maybe she just wants to have kids and write now. 

5 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

Thank Babalu. I totally forgot. . Krysten Ritter is another VM alum who has had a mixed career, but after Jessica Jones I hope she'll get more work. She was sharp on that show. And she wrote a decent mystery novel which was nicely unpretentious (no Hollywood references, just a straight up going back home to solve a mystery sort of tale). But maybe she just wants to have kids and write now. 

I would say Krysten Ritter has had a pretty successful career post Veronica Mars. She had kind of smal but memorable supporting role in one of the most acclaimed shows of the last 20 years (Breaking Bad). She was the star of a network sitcom that wasn't huge but was hilarious and lasted for 2 years. And now she is the title star of arguably the best Marvel/Netflix show and one of only 2 that lasted for 3 seasons. The only people from the VM cast who have done more are Kristen Bell herself and probably Tesda Thompson.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And now she is the title star of arguably the best Marvel/Netflix show and one of only 2 that lasted for 3 seasons. Th

There are three seasons of Jessica Jones???? Or do you mean The Defenders? Which didn't entirely suck thanks to her and her chemistry with the Dare Devil dude.

12 minutes ago, jeansheridan said:

There are three seasons of Jessica Jones???? Or do you mean The Defenders? Which didn't entirely suck thanks to her and her chemistry with the Dare Devil dude.

Third season of Jessica Jones is coming. Don't remember the exact date but sometime in the next few months.

• Love 1
On 5/24/2019 at 11:58 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Third season of Jessica Jones is coming. Don't remember the exact date but sometime in the next few months.

That date is June 14th.  Ugh,  but I do feel like it was a mistake for Thomas to kill Gia,  I thought she was a wonderful character. 

• Love 3
On 5/24/2019 at 12:20 PM, jeansheridan said:

(I wonder if they can get the Jessica Jones actress. She's reportedly pregnant but that would be hilarious. She was such a cheery character on the show!)

You might want to rewatch the movie...

• LOL 1

Ooo, getting Amanda back might be fun. Although it might mean Veronica is having some mental break so maybe not. Veronica was always self aware and grounded given all her trauma. (I blocked out season 3 but I don't think she fell apart there either). I think after all the talking talking talking on Dawson's Creek it was cool to have a teen character who was taciturn.

22 hours ago, Zoe said:

You might want to rewatch the movie..

Someone reminded me. Thx.

I didn't love the movie. I am not a nostalgia person and unlike Serenity sort of acting as a summary of what Firefly was meant to be eventually, I don't think VM the film added much other than Logan in that military uniform. I am shallow enough to enjoy it but two hours of film for one charming physical gag didn't seem worth it. 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I would say Krysten Ritter has had a pretty successful career post Veronica Mars. She had kind of smal but memorable supporting role in one of the most acclaimed shows of the last 20 years (Breaking Bad). She was the star of a network sitcom that wasn't huge but was hilarious and lasted for 2 years. And now she is the title star of arguably the best Marvel/Netflix show and one of only 2 that lasted for 3 seasons. The only people from the VM cast who have done more are Kristen Bell herself and probably Tesda Thompson.

Amanda Seyfried?  Kristen started as more successful, but arguably Amanda was a bigger success than Kristen for some of those in--between years (with Mamma Mia, Big Love and Les Mis), although Kristen took that crown back in recent years.

• Love 1

I want to be excited for this so badly.  I'm just having such a hard time reconciling how I used to feel about Jason Dohring during the initial run (I thought he was excellent in the role and was a HUGE LoVe fan) and how I feel about anyone in Scientology now.  I have an extremely hard time enjoying anything involving someone who is in the CoS.  It just immediately sours me.  It's a bit disappointing because I still really respect KB and love Veronica Mars.  There's enough for me to like so I will watch it, it's just not at the excitement level I would be at otherwise.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I want to be excited for this so badly.  I'm just having such a hard time reconciling how I used to feel about Jason Dohring during the initial run (I thought he was excellent in the role and was a HUGE LoVe fan) and how I feel about anyone in Scientology now.  I have an extremely hard time enjoying anything involving someone who is in the CoS.  It just immediately sours me.  It's a bit disappointing because I still really respect KB and love Veronica Mars.  There's enough for me to like so I will watch it, it's just not at the excitement level I would be at otherwise.  

I totally get what you're saying and feel much the same way. It hasn't managed to dim my enthusiasm for the reboot thus far, but it'll be a concerted effort for me to compartmentalize the Scientology thing enough to "forget" during JD's scenes. I mostly think it's sad he was indoctrinated into the cult at such a young age that there's little chance he'll ever leave. I remember reading some pretty damning tweets (with which I completely agreed) regarding Scientology from KB after Going Clear premiered on HBO. I wondered what JD thought about those comments, if he read them. I guess it didn't affect their working relationship, which is cool on both sides, but it would drive me crazy to know someone I cared about was mired in that shit.

• Love 3

I feel a little differently about the ones born in to it or put in the cos when they were kids. They didn't have a choice. I'm more against the ones that chose to be in it as adults. 

I'll still watch projects of actors that are part of cos because they are working with actors not in it, but I won't search out their projects or read any interviews with them. 

• Love 4
On 6/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, atomic said:

I am so excited! And perhaps most intrigued by Veronica saying she may be the problem in her relationship. But it looks like a solid plot, and I am always here for Best TV Dad Ever, Keith Mars.

• Love 1
(edited)

Veronica Mars: Theme Song Sneak Peek • A Hulu Original

"We shared the most intimate thing two people can share.  A television series on UPN."

Veronica Mars: Season 4 Theme Song Lyric Video(Covered by by Chrissie Hynde)

Edited by Just Here
Added second video
  • Love 4
On 6/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, Delphi said:

What was wrong with the dandy Warhols...I love them. 

Same. I love their version. I guess Rob wants something new for the revival. But what’s wrong with nostalgia?

• Love 4
On 6/21/2019 at 10:23 PM, TheGourmez said:

Just rewatched the trailer, and you guys, I am NOT OKAY with that knife to Dick Casablancas's throat.

On the plus side, Dick appears to have done nothing evil and seemed to be legitimately complimenting Veronica’s PI skills. So, character growth, maybe?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 7:44 PM, Delphi said:

What was wrong with the dandy Warhols...I love them. 

Indeed. I don't care much for Chrissie Hynde and that new version sounds like it's on Valium. I'm listening to The Dandy Warhols on Spotify right now.  

Edited by festivus
extra the
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2019 at 6:31 PM, atomic said:

I love how much the Veronica role still means to Kristen:

True. And it's not like she's home twiddling her thumbs with nothing to do. 

• Love 4