Type keyword(s) to search

Catelynn (and Tyler)

• Start Topic

Yeah I can't ride Cate about coffee. I drink mine sweet and light as well. Though I usually don't even finish a cup a day. 

Tyler almost said the right thing. He just can't put a period where he needs to shut up. Tyler looks like he actively hates everyone. Gah I hope Cate doesn't drag herself and 2 kids back to her moms house. I was shocked they left Nova with her in the first place. I'll judge away on that shit. 

I'm usually blah on elective surgery but Cate really needs a reduction. That looks painful! 

• Love 7

Tyler is just done with having to deal with his fucked up family. Amber destroyed his house and still expects support and sympathy from him. I completely understand his feelings. Family or not ,sometimes you are better off without them in your life. He's done hearing excuses. Ambers recovery is up to her. Not Tyler.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Under her right eye? Looks like a shadow to me. And I only noticed it when you commented. Doesn't really look like a bruise.

Hmmm, yea; I guess that must be what they're talking about. It just looks shadowy to me as well. 

• Love 3

My two-year old daughter is very fair and has really bad sinus allergies (as do I).  When her allergies are bugging her, she often looks like that under her eyes (I do as well, but it's more noticeable in her, I guess maybe toddler's have more delicate/thinner skin there?).  Nova isn't as fair as we are, but I've noticed "allergy under-eyes" in white people even they aren't as fair as mini-girl-Nordic and I are (I remember noticing Bill Clinton having allergy-eyes sometimes during his presidency when I'd see him on the news). Granted, my daughter has that happen under both eyes when her sinuses give her trouble, so that probably a shadow on Nova instead of allergies causing that.  In any case, it's hard to say that bruising/swollen eyes is somehow caused by trauma unless it's like super obvious because of allergies (and in pictures, because of shadows, filters, etc).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 8

Based on my experience with my friend who was essentially forced to give up her baby many decades ago due to societal pressure (she was an unmarried woman), I've always been interested in the complex dynamics of Carly's adoption. In my friend's case, even 40 years after giving up her baby, she never stopped wanting to know about her child and what had  happened to her. 

I recently came across this research article about the history of openness in adoptions. Its quite a good read. There are so many points in it that relate to what we're seeing unfold in C&T's story that I can't even begin to start posting quotes from it.  I'll just put a link to the whole thing for those interested. http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/old/publications/2012_03_OpennessInAdoption.pdf

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 8

Hey guys: If you ever see a post that contains what you feel might be spam, please report it by using the little flag icon at the bottom of the post. Thanks!

Thanks for posting that article @ChristmasJones.  I don't have time to read the whole thing now, but I gleaned from the introduction that it's very important to have clear guidance and counseling before the adoption.  That obviously didn't happen for C&T, and it appears they didn't get good counseling afterwards.   I don't count anything Bethany did/does as "good."

I think it's a tough situation because birth parents and/or adoptive parents can go into a situation fully expecting that they will act/feel a certain way, but then things change.   I saw a movie recently about an open adoption where the adoptive family was very inclusive to the teen mother, even after the birth, but then something happened and freaked out the adoptive family.   They closed the adoption and moved away.  The daughter grows up and eventually goes to find the birth mother.

Back to C&T's situation,  I'm wondering this:  if the issue was really that Carly didn't want to see them this year, would it have been a good idea to state that directly to C&T?   

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chris Knight said:

Is that Butch ?!?!

Yes- he's been sober for a year.

‘Teen Mom OG’ Star Butch Baltierra Celebrates One Year of Sobriety

Teen Mom OG star Butch Baltierra has reached a big milestone in his transformation– even bigger than the day he cut off his trademark, trusty mullet!

Earlier this week, Butch announced that he was celebrating the one-year anniversary of his getting sober. ‘Teen Mom’ fans have long watched as Butch struggled with a drug addiction that kept him in and out of prison for most of his son Tyler Baltierra‘s life– and his time on ‘Teen Mom.’

After seeing Butch relapse last season, Tyler arranged for his dad to attend an inpatient rehab program in Austin, Texas, which Butch has since graduated from. He has remained in Texas and is currently in Narcotics Anonymous.

In a video posted to his Instagram account, Butch revealed that he still struggles to stay clean.

“I had 365 days clean yesterday,” Butch said in the video. “Just wanted to tell you: it’s not all that easy and it ain’t all that hard. Am I struggling? Yeah. I struggle every day. I struggle every day that I don’t work a program, or don’t keep in communication with my sponsor or follow directions, I struggle.”

Butch’s sobriety has garnered him several perks: he’s currently in a relationship, and was even allowed to fly to New York City this weekend to take part in the ‘Teen Mom OG’ Reunion special taping, something that he has not been legally allowed to do in years!

In his Instagram video, Butch encouraged his followers who are struggling with addiction to seek help.

“Do I have obsessions? Yes I do. I think about smoking marijuana, I think about drinking every now and then. I’m not a big drinker, but I’ve been thinking about it,” he said. “It’s not all that easy but I know it’s easy when you work a program, do H & I’s, and go to meetings. That’s all I wanted to say!”

Amber Baltierra— who is the daughter of Butch and sister of Tyler– is also maintaining her sobriety after going to rehab back in May. Last week, she celebrated six months of sobriety by posting her six-month Narcotics Anonymous chip to Instagram.

At one point this year, Tyler had his father, sister and wife Catelynn Lowell all in a treatment facility at the same time. He has admitted that taking care of his family’s health issues has been draining on him. Still, his relationship with Butch seems to have improved over the last few months.

Edited by druzy
  • Love 6

So, Butch, his girlfriend, Tyler’s sister Amber, and Tyler’s mom (her name never comes to mind for me), are all in New York for the reunion.

Perhaps this fact escaped me, but in comments on Butch’s post, I found out he and Tyler’s mom were never married. I feel like I didn’t know that, or it didn’t matter to me, I guess?

Video

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

So, Butch, his girlfriend, Tyler’s sister Amber, and Tyler’s mom (her name never comes to mind for me), are all in New York for the reunion.

Perhaps this fact escaped me, but in comments on Butch’s post, I found out he and Tyler’s mom were never married. I feel like I didn’t know that, or it didn’t matter to me, I guess?

Video

Of course they're at a chain restaurant with a cheesy fishing boat theme, because where else are four rubes with zero brain cells going to eat in New York Fucking City?

bubba.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Video

Dawn is the moms name i have no ideal why i remember..

LOL

• Love 1
On 11/8/2018 at 2:35 AM, kokapetl said:

I can’t say I feel badly for Brandon and Teresa. They got the baby, they are by far the big winners. 

No, Carly is the biggest winner.

Cate and Tyler were kids living in a world of shit.  Carly would have been subjected to profound poverty while living with the abusive/crazy druggie duo of Butch and April.

We can only speculate, but most likely if they had kept Carly they wouldn't have been picked for Teen Mom, and furthermore, who even knew TM would drag on for so long.

We saw what life was like for Cate and Tyler and the sad conditions they were living in.  There is no reason to believe the addition of Carly would have improved their lot, and realistically, it would have most likely made it much worse.

Carly is the big winner.

• Love 23
21 hours ago, ginger90 said:

So I guess Tyler isn't so disgusted by his sister that he can't be in the same room as her....

Also, how about taking the selfie once everyone has put their phone down???

Finally, Amber, you look like fucking Kermit the Frog. Wipe that green shit off your eyes. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

Cate and Tyler were kids living in a world of shit.  Carly would have been subjected to profound poverty while living with the abusive/crazy druggie duo of Butch and April.

We can only speculate, but most likely if they had kept Carly they wouldn't have been picked for Teen Mom, and furthermore, who even knew TM would drag on for so long.

We saw what life was like for Cate and Tyler and the sad conditions they were living in.  There is no reason to believe the addition of Carly would have improved their lot, and realistically, it would have most likely made it much worse.

Carly is the big winner.

Tyler was not living in poverty or with abusive drug addicts.    He had a normal stable home, Cate even tried staying there.   Too bad that Tyler and his mom only allowed it until the window that Cate had to change her mind was over.    I think they would have still been on the show.   It would be very interesting to see how parenting would work out after coming that close to adoption.  MTV loves a shitshow, it's the whole reason Jenelle is still on the show.    they have been working with her for ten years now, and she handed her kid over to her mom the very first season.    Not exactly the storyline they signed up for but they're running with it.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, lexiexx said:

Tyler was not living in poverty or with abusive drug addicts.    He had a normal stable home, Cate even tried staying there.   Too bad that Tyler and his mom only allowed it until the window that Cate had to change her mind was over.    I think they would have still been on the show.   It would be very interesting to see how parenting would work out after coming that close to adoption.  MTV loves a shitshow, it's the whole reason Jenelle is still on the show.    they have been working with her for ten years now, and she handed her kid over to her mom the very first season.    Not exactly the storyline they signed up for but they're running with it.

Cate was only staying at Kim's house because they were keeping her close to make sure she went through with the adoption.  Kim made it clear that she didn't like Tyler being with Cate and Cate would not be living there if she kept the baby.  Even after Carly was born, Kim booted her.

Cate was mostly living at dysfunction junction with abusive, drug addicts Butch and April.  Also, Tyler made it clear he would break up with Cate if she didn't follow through with the adoption.

Of all the moms and dads from both franchises, Cate's situation was the scariest and most depressing; even surpassing Amber (Amber and Leah at least had Gary).  Cate was lacking in every single resource needed to give Carly an even half way stable life.  It is sad and depressing for Cate but she made the most loving choice for Carly. 

When Carly was born, 16 year old Cate lacked money, a stable home, decent education, and even half way reliable support system.  It took years for Teen Mom to take off and really pay the moms, and no one even knew that would happen.  Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, and there was someone willing to help her, but from what I remember there was no one.  April and Butch mentally abused Cate about the adoption after the fact, but those two crack heads weren't going to offer anything to Cate and baby Carly.

Tyler did not want Carly and he made that clear.  All the moms had some combination of obstacles to hurdle, but not all of them.  Cate was the only one who had every single obstacle imaginable.

How was any of that positive for Carly?

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, AirQuotes said:

When Carly was born, 16 year old Cate lacked money, a stable home, decent education, and even half way reliable support system.  It took years for Teen Mom to take off and really pay the moms, and no one even knew that would happen.  Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, and there was someone willing to help her, but from what I remember there was no one.  April and Butch mentally abused Cate about the adoption after the fact, but those two crack heads weren't going to offer anything to Cate and baby Carly.

that's all true. 

on the recent ep she said, 'we got past giving up a baby for adoption.'  no, hon, you *didn't*, and that's kind of the problem.

I wonder if through all this therapy, people told her that it's okay to be selfish, to stand up for herself, that she needed to take care of herself b/c she's been through trauma....but she kind of misinterpreted all of it and became a selfish beast???

• Love 14
1 minute ago, teapot said:

that's all true. 

on the recent ep she said, 'we got past giving up a baby for adoption.'  no, hon, you *didn't*, and that's kind of the problem.

I wonder if through all this therapy, people told her that it's okay to be selfish, to stand up for herself, that she needed to take care of herself b/c she's been through trauma....but she kind of misinterpreted all of it and became a selfish beast???

I agree.  Cate hasn't gotten past the adoption.  I've said for years that I think her main barrier to accepting it and living a happy, fulfilling life is Teen Mom.  She has to keep talking about it. 

I find that constantly talking about my problems makes me feel worse.   Dwelling on negatives isn't good for anybody.

• Love 12

I think if they hadn't done the show past the initial 16 & Pregnant, she'd be fine. The show basically MANDATES that they keep talking about. It also allowed her to have way more money than she would have had otherwise, so they "got out" and felt comfortable having more kids. And now she sits and looks at her daughter and growing belly and thinks, "I could have kept Carly too." 

• Love 11

From next week's episode description:

Catelynn and Tyler celebrate the gender reveal of their new baby but are still planning to live separately to work on their marriage. 

Are they cutting this season short because of the ratings? I don't remember Cate announcing her pregnancy on the show yet. Also, Cate probably stays in Arizona to work on her marriage while Tyler returns home with the burden of explaining to Nova that her mother's not coming home.

Edited by druzy
  • Love 5
On 11/11/2018 at 9:55 PM, TheRealT said:

ITA. As I recall, B&T originally didn't want an open adoption, but they agreed to it in order to get a healthy white infant. I think they kind of talked themselves into being ok with it and genuinely gave it a shot, but I feel like they were never truly, deeply committed to the concept and were strongly influenced/guilted by the show to go even as far as they did. But they told C&T whatever they felt they had to to get the baby. Dawn/Bethany totally used C&T and got a lot of mileage out of them. They used them as spokespeople for years (recruiting other birth parents, especially poor, white parents like C&T and publicizing the agency to prospective adoptive parents (I believe that B&T also shilled for them)). For the same reasons, Dawn made multiple appearances on the show offering post-adoption counseling and support that is not available to any of their other birth parents. Cate even participated in recruiting B&T's second child's birth mom and was with her when she gave birth.

So I don't have much sympathy for B&T. Unlike C&T, they were old/wise enough to understand that the adoption would likely play out more complicatedly than the rosy picture Bethany was selling, but they took those risks in order to get a healthy white infant (which they got). C&T are definitely immature and fucked up and not people most responsible parents would choose to be involved in their child's life, but I don't see what they've done so far that is so damaging/dangerous to Carly. I can understand B&T's objections to the SM postings about Carly, but I think that has mostly calmed down (I think Tyler broke that prohibition with some innocuous (except for the violation of agreed-upon boundaries) pictures of Carly a while ago, but, as far as I know (and I don't follow them), it hasn't happened since then (for a year+)). I can totally understand why B&T wouldn't like/trust C&T and how it would be much easier for them not to deal with them at all, but I feel like putting up with annoying people is part of life, especially when those people are your relatives (and C&T are essentially B&T's relatives, relatives whom they actually chose).

I am not sure why you keep mentioning that they wanted a healthy white infant - a lot of adopting parents want the child to look like them.  That is totally normal and not anything to be disparaged.  Some parents don't care, some do.

Of course the adopting parents are going to be older and wiser than the kids giving up the babies for adoption - that is why they are the adopting parents!  But it doesn't mean that they are evil or sneaky - adoption is a GOOD THING.  It is not trickery.  They did not steal a child in the night.  

Also, since B&T are the parents, they can do whatever they think is in the best interests of their child.  There may be something we don't even know about going on with Carly.  I don't see them withholding Carly from C&T, they just need to do it on their terms, being the parents.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:17 PM, Giant Misfit said:

Tyler forget to put his stick pin on his cowl neck sweater. 

The cowl neck is killing me!  There is no way that is from a men's store.

59 minutes ago, druzy said:

From next week's episode description:

Catelynn and Tyler celebrate the gender reveal of their new baby but are still planning to live separately to work on their marriage. 

Are they cutting this season short because of the ratings? I don't remember Cate announcing her pregnancy on the show yet. Also, Cate probably stays in Arizona to work on her marriage while Tyler returns home with the burden of explaining to Nova that her mother's not coming home.

Did we know that they were/are living separately?

• Love 22
7 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

Cate was only staying at Kim's house because they were keeping her close to make sure she went through with the adoption.  Kim made it clear that she didn't like Tyler being with Cate and Cate would not be living there if she kept the baby.  Even after Carly was born, Kim booted her.

Cate was mostly living at dysfunction junction with abusive, drug addicts Butch and April.  Also, Tyler made it clear he would break up with Cate if she didn't follow through with the adoption.

Of all the moms and dads from both franchises, Cate's situation was the scariest and most depressing; even surpassing Amber (Amber and Leah at least had Gary).  Cate was lacking in every single resource needed to give Carly an even half way stable life.  It is sad and depressing for Cate but she made the most loving choice for Carly. 

Tyler did not want Carly and he made that clear.  All the moms had some combination of obstacles to hurdle, but not all of them.  Cate was the only one who had every single obstacle imaginable.

How was any of that positive for Carly?

I'm saying that Tylers whole story line is one long con.    He's made living pretending that he had to give his kid up because of the family dysfunction, when in reality he didn't want the kid and his mom backed him up and helped him manipulate Cate.   There was nothing wrong with Tyler's home life.   Butch was over at Cate's by then.    You don't necessarily need teen mom level money to raise a kid.    Cate was thrilled to move in to that small apartment with Tyler, she could have accomplished that if she kept Carly.    Tyler did not make it clear that he didn't want Carly, he manipulated that whole situation by acting like he actually wanted to go to college (lol) and have a career (lol) and was doing it out of love.   Tyler and his mom were the ones who could have stepped up and helped out until Cate got on her feet but refused to.  Then they want to turn around and pretend it was unavoidable, such bullshit.

• Love 11

They weren't ready to be parents at 16, regardless of their financial situation. That was the least of their issues. Don't they (and others) see this? 

1 hour ago, lexiexx said:

I'm saying that Tylers whole story line is one long con.    He's made living pretending that he had to give his kid up because of the family dysfunction, when in reality he didn't want the kid and his mom backed him up and helped him manipulate Cate.   There was nothing wrong with Tyler's home life.   Butch was over at Cate's by then.    You don't necessarily need teen mom level money to raise a kid.    Cate was thrilled to move in to that small apartment with Tyler, she could have accomplished that if she kept Carly.    Tyler did not make it clear that he didn't want Carly, he manipulated that whole situation by acting like he actually wanted to go to college (lol) and have a career (lol) and was doing it out of love.   Tyler and his mom were the ones who could have stepped up and helped out until Cate got on her feet but refused to.  Then they want to turn around and pretend it was unavoidable, such bullshit.

Tyler and his mom knew he was not ready to be a father at 16. They made the absolute best decision.

• Love 22
On 11/19/2018 at 12:59 PM, AirQuotes said:

Carly is the big winner.

Exactly bravo.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

They weren't ready to be parents at 16, regardless of their financial situation. That was the least of their issues. Don't they (and others) see this? 

Tyler and his mom knew he was not ready to be a father at 16. They made the absolute best decision.

This.  All this.  You articulated it perfectly.

They weren't ready.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Also holy shit all of the financial burden would have been on Kim to take care of all of them. I don’t blame her one bit for putting her foot down. She was already practically having to raise Cate as is. 

• Love 13