Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: An Explosive Reveal

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, sATL said:

RE: not going to bed angry... sounds good on a paper.. wouldn't that depend on how important sleep is to a person? I don't want to stay up all night hashing out something.... and I don't like to make major decisions when I am tired - catch me at 9 in the morning...

Sometimes going to bed and dealing with an issue after some rest and contemplation is the best thing you can do. I don't know if this is something that started from religion or a certain generation, but I still hear it spouted as marital wisdom quite often. 

• Love 21

Jana seemed kind of moody in the brief glimpses we saw of her while the family was prepping for the jinder reveal. I wonder if she was having a bad day or whether she's tired of celebrating everyone else's milestones but having none of her own. 

Every time I see Ma and Pa Caldwell I'm once again amazed at how they manage to look younger than 2/3 of the Duggar children. If they're any indication, Kendra is going to age really well.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I sincerely hope Austin is going to bumpers in the baby's crib.

Bumpers aren't really recommended anymore, AFAIK. They pose a risk of suffocation and SIDS. There are breathable mesh ones, but they aren't necessary. 

• Love 20
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I read on FJ that TLC fudged another timeline.

Some of the family travel to Laredo, supposedly to surprise Jinger on her anniversary. Except they know that Jinger is expecting; this wasn't announced until Thanksgiving weekend (for those keeping score, their anniversary is early November). The Duggars also wore winter coats. It was in the upper 70's in AR on anniversary dsy, so it was likely even warmer in Laredo. Ergo, the Duggars did not visit Laredo on JinJer's anniversary.

I guess TLC really thinks their viewers are Grade A morons not to figure this out. 

They could have been holding onto the picture for awhile, but this was posted 1/3/2018.  It’s the same hair and outfit both had at the “anniversary” dinner.

Edited by saylubee
Quoted the wrong post.
  • Love 5

TOO MUCH JIMBLOB and CHELLE....please TLC.....make them go away..

The little girls got their stupid recording episode so the little boys get theirs by hauling them to Laredo.

Jerm is pretentious and ridunkulous about his library but he and Jinge do dote on each other.

Jinge was surprised by the piano, maybe not so much about the herd of Duggs stuffed with a camera crew in the spare bedroom....but she was still trying to wrap her head around the piano in her small front room.

Like how some of the in laws are helping the feral Duggs they marry evolve into better people.

Jerm and Kendra are positives.

Have hope for Abadaba, too.

In the picture above like the body language of Jerm...he is leaning into Jinge.

Jinge’s not doing the dopey gaze into his eyes...

Normal people...wow...

• Love 9

JD and Joe have a genuine brother bond probably because of the awfulness caused by their oozing pus wound of an older brother.

Shove  Jessa/Bin, Joy/McSnoot into the back and spotlight Joe/Kendrab, Jing/Jer and Jay Dabby..okay...Lauren with small dosages of Sigh who is annoying and dim at best.

Lauren is the brains of that marriage.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Squirrely said:

I don't know if this is something that started from religion or a certain generation, but I still hear it spouted as marital wisdom quite often. 

This is actually straight from the Bible, Ephesians 4:26 to be exact.  I know a lot of (legalistic) people take it literally, but I think the principle/point was just to not let things fester and grow.  Take care of issues as soon as possible--even if that means the next morning when you've both gotten some sleep and can converse clearly.  But the Duggars probably take it literally.

• Love 10

For all the hope we had that Jinger had evolved, this episode proves beyond a reasonable doubt that she is no more evolved than she was before. You can take the Duggar out of AR, but you can't get the Duggar out of the girl. 

• Love 10
56 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The friendship between Joe and JD was nice to see. I also appreciate that Kendra didn't get weird and have JD leave the room during her ultrasound. She had her stomach covered but she didn't make Joe hold up a sheet the way all the other girls have done.

I like watching Joe and Kendra in general. That girl doesn't have a mean bone in her body and radiates positive energy. I also noticed how spotless her house is and the fact she seems to at least know how to cook basic meals. It's not surprising considering she was the oldest in her family but it's still a sharp contrast to the Duggar girls. 

Oddly enough JB and Michelle didn't annoy me. When Jinger burst into tears at the sight of her family, the first words out of JB's mouth as he hugged her were "I love you Jinger" which was probably something she really needed to hear. Michelle seemed less medicated and I thought her emotions towards her daughter were real. It didn't feel scripted like everything else we see on this show.

For as camera-ready as Jeremy comes off sometimes, I 100% believe he bought Jinger that piano because he loves her and wanted to make her happy, not because it would make him look like Super Husband on social media. 

I think so too, I also thought he probably thought "she has had to share everything with 18 other people her whole life, this is HER gift & HERS only." Not that he would ever say that but I'm sure he has thought that.

• Love 22
13 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I sincerely hope Austin is going to bumpers in the baby's crib.

How about adding plate covers to those electrical outlets IN THE BABY"S ROOM??????

Anyone notice that the Duggar home had a soda dispenser?  The same kind at the end of the cash counter at Subway?  Growing up, our drink dispenser was a tap.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Jana seemed kind of moody in the brief glimpses we saw of her while the family was prepping for the jinder reveal. 

I noticed this too. Her conversation with John David in the kitchen seemed like they were an old, married couple.

All I hope is that she's happy. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Horrified said:

Growing up, our drink dispenser was a tap.

As was mine when I wasn’t outdoors. Then it was a hose. All the sugary soda could be why a lot of them look a bit pudgy. It could also be from carb heavy meals such as the TTC. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Jana seemed kind of moody in the brief glimpses we saw of her while the family was prepping for the jinder reveal. I wonder if she was having a bad day or whether she's tired of celebrating everyone else's milestones but having none of her own. 

Every time I see Ma and Pa Caldwell I'm once again amazed at how they manage to look younger than 2/3 of the Duggar children. If they're any indication, Kendra is going to age really well.

Well, when you eat a diet filled with fresh fruits and vegetables along with getting enough water and proper skincare, this is what can happen.  When you keep eating processed junk 3 meals a day it's no wonder that the Duggar kids have skin issues. 

• Love 9

"You have to be confident but not so confident that you appear arrogant." On asking a father for his daughter's hand.

Yeah, just like you were, Ben.  There's actual video, Ben!

Edited by flyingdi
I cannot type today.
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When you keep eating processed junk 3 meals a day it's no wonder that the Duggar kids have skin issues. 

Which is why the boys seem to sport facial hair (not that it looks well grown in enough to cover anything). 

• Love 2

Kendra and Joe seem to be genuinely nice people, and as in love as they can be.  Not an ounce of pretentiousness there.

Jeremy is kind of growing on me too.  I still think he's the type that acts like the world's a stage, but I do believe he appreciates Jinjer and treats her well.  It was nice that he kept criticism of Boob's slop to himself.  BBQ tuna?  Barf.  I don't believe Jin actually misses that, but she seemed appreciative of the effort, and that was nice too.  

• Love 14
59 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Jinge’s surging hormones made her temporarily emotional for her dysfunctional family...she will pull it together and realize that her toxic parents are best kept far away and she can control their exposure on Felicity.

Their toxicity is like radiation exposure.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I think so too, I also thought he probably thought "she has had to share everything with 18 other people her whole life, this is HER gift & HERS only." Not that he would ever say that but I'm sure he has thought that.

I thought Jinger basically emphasized this idea when she said, "my own piano!"

1 hour ago, Horrified said:

Anyone notice that the Duggar home had a soda dispenser?  The same kind at the end of the cash counter at Subway?

FWIW, they said in one of their early shows that they don't actually fill them with soda, and that they're for novelty display purposes only. If you can believe that.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

As was mine when I wasn’t outdoors. Then it was a hose.

You may already know this, and I know it was from a long time ago, but stating it anyway just for information: drinking from a regular outdoor hose isn't supposed to be safe because the hose material leeches chemicals into the water. They do make drinking-safe hoses, though.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, graefin said:

FWIW, they said in one of their early shows that they don't actually fill them with soda, and that they're for novelty display purposes only. If you can believe that.

You may already know this, and I know it was from a long time ago, but stating it anyway just for information: drinking from a regular outdoor hose isn't supposed to be safe because the hose material leeches chemicals into the water. They do make drinking-safe hoses, though.

I had no idea so thanks for the information. I basically grew up in a horse barn so the alternative would have been nothing to drink. Heck, back then we didn’t know about all the ‘wash your food first’ so the horse and I ate carrots right out of the bag. “If I knew then what I know now the mistakes I wouldn’t have made”*

*Savoy Brown 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I think that was the most sincere Duggar emotions we have seen in a long, long time.  

Jinger actually sobbed.  Michelle looked like she really really missed Jinger and her face had true mom feelings.   Jim Bob saying "we love you, Jinger".

Wow.  It was an actual moment there.  

I KNOW!!!  I even got choked up when Jinger just leaned on her mom and wept uncontrollably.  I'm sure a lot of it was hormones.  She went right from being Daddy's little girl, to being a wife with no self-growth or self-awareness in between.  Now she's getting ready to be a mom and her mom is hundreds of miles away.  I think she was just overwhelmed by it all.  I also think she likes her in-laws, but it's just not the same.  Even though I never felt Michelle was much of a "hands-on" mom once the kids reached that toddler stage, she's still Jinger's mom.

I think the last time I teared up watching a Duggar show was when baby Josie was in the incubator and it wasn't a done deal that she would even survive.  Michelle's weeping over that precious baby tore me up every time.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Horrified said:

How about adding plate covers to those electrical outlets IN THE BABY"S ROOM??????

Anyone notice that the Duggar home had a soda dispenser?  The same kind at the end of the cash counter at Subway?  Growing up, our drink dispenser was a tap.

yeah.... it's been there since TLC assisted on the house build.. Their kitchen is close to commerical.. Not sure what kind of machines supported Jinger's coffee habit..

Here's a throw back picture...

Duggar-dining-table-seats-20.jpg.a14bab77a92c37ea3c83d82054fa9193.jpg

Okay, now I'm having second thoughts.  Do you think there's a part of this that TLC isn't sharing?  I mean the way Jinger cried, and Jim Bob saying they love her makes me now think we're missing a part of the puzzle.  

I think some bad blood developed somewhere along the line between Jeremy and the Duggar clan (probably Jim Bob) and Jeremy reaching out to them in on this special occasion would mend the rift.  Jeremy is a romantic guy and it doesn't figure that he'd have a big house party celebrating their first anniversary without HIS family being present too.  

There are all kinds of ways to communicate nowadays.  There's face-time and other platforms out there that actually almost alleviate the loneliness of missing folks.  It's not like they live on different coasts.  For crying out loud, they didn't carry on like that when Jill got back from South America!

So yep, I think we're missing something here.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Okay, now I'm having second thoughts.  Do you think there's a part of this that TLC isn't sharing?  I mean the way Jinger cried, and Jim Bob saying they love her makes me now think we're missing a part of the puzzle.  

I think some bad blood developed somewhere along the line between Jeremy and the Duggar clan (probably Jim Bob) and Jeremy reaching out to them in on this special occasion would mend the rift.  Jeremy is a romantic guy and it doesn't figure that he'd have a big house party celebrating their first anniversary without HIS family being present too.  

There are all kinds of ways to communicate nowadays.  There's face-time and other platforms out there that actually almost alleviate the loneliness of missing folks.  It's not like they live on different coasts.  For crying out loud, they didn't carry on like that when Jill got back from South America!

didn't jermey put the duggars on a short leash/visitation schedule the first few months they were married?

I think you have a point  - I understand Jinger missing her family ( don't recall what was the last visit to see them) but she was sobbing like she served in Afghanistan...

I also wonder how many friends she has made in Laredo... I'm not saying friends can take the place of mom, 8 sisters and a couple of sister in laws but she maybe a little girl time will help her with the loneliness.  She's a pastors  wife - surely she could have or easily develop a calendar of things to do.. start by teaching piano lessons.. follow Erin Bates Paine lead by recording a CD...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, graefin said:

I'm over 60.  I remember drinking from the hose as a kid, but wouldn't let my daughter do that.  Our hose here is hooked up to irrigation (untreated) water, and is good for watering grass, but never drinking.  (I grew up in a much larger city, with city (soft) water.)  Reminds me of what George Carlin once said.  "Kids gotta wear helmets nowadays for everything but jerking off!"

Sorry to get in the way-back machine.  Back to topic:  it was so cool to see Jin's new piano, and how thrilled she was.  I haven't a musical bone in my body, but I'm married to a musical person, and I so love to hear talented people play whatever they are good at.  Jin was quite good to my ear at the music store.  Jer must feel the same way, and appreciates her talents.

OK Jer, I don't dislike you nearly as much as I did, if you like music.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

21 minutes ago, sATL said:

I also wonder how many friends she has made in Laredo

You might be on to something. I just relocated home from a very lonely place.  I made friends, but no solid, deep connections like I had back home.  The people there were just too insular.  I’m not really sentimental, so I didn’t cry but there were days when the isolation and loneliness were overwhelming.

Maybe that’s what Jinger was going through, homesickness and loneliness. To go from a house of twenty-one to just two must be quite a change, plus Jeremy probably isn’t home all day.  It takes time to meet new people in a new city, especially if you were never even taught how to go out and socialize with others outside your circle.  And with Joe and Kendra marrying, then having a baby, plus Joy having a baby, and Si courting, she may have just felt left out and really missing being there.  I guess I may be reading too much into it, but I’ve been there so I could see that as a possibility.

• Love 11

Yes, in the Duggar house.  It was on the same counter shown in the photo above on the right hand end the last time I saw it.  We've even had discussions on how pricey the k-cups are.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2

Back to the "love language..."

It's from a book ( wiki ) -The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate is a 1995 book by Gary Chapman. 

ISBN - 9781415857311

Here the the 5 answers - if you want to have some fun ...  :)

• receiving gifts,
  •  quality time,
  • words of affirmation,
  • acts of service (devotion), and 
  • physical touch  

{quote from wiki} ": Chapman suggests that to discover another person's love language, one must observe the way they express love to others, and analyze what they complain about most often and what they request from their significant other most often. He theorizes that people tend to naturally give love in the way that they prefer to receive love, and better communication between couples can be accomplished when one can demonstrate caring to the other person in the love language the recipient understands.

An example would be if a husband's love language is acts of service, he may be confused when he does the laundry for his wife and she doesn't perceive that as an act of love, viewing it as simply performing household duties, because the love language she comprehends is words of affirmation (verbal affirmation that he loves her). She may try to use what she values, words of affirmation, to express her love to him, which he would not value as much as she does. If she understands his love language and mows the lawn for him, he perceives it in his love language as an act of expressing her love for him; likewise, if he tells her he loves her, she values that as an act of love. " {end-quote from wiki}

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, sATL said:

Is your dad supposed to know what your love language is?  The question kinda creeped me out. "is she going to be loved in the way she will receive it..." icky...

Love languages aren’t just about romantic/sexual love. The advice is good for all personal relationships, parents/kids, siblings, friends etc. I’m about as far away from fundie as you can get and I enjoyed the book/got a lot out of it etc. 

31 minutes ago, sATL said:

Back to the "love language..."

It's from a book ( wiki ) -The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate is a 1995 book by Gary Chapman. 

ISBN - 9781415857311

Here the the 5 answers - if you want to have some fun ...  :)

• receiving gifts,
  •  quality time,
  • words of affirmation,
  • acts of service (devotion), and 
  • physical touch  

{quote from wiki} ": Chapman suggests that to discover another person's love language, one must observe the way they express love to others, and analyze what they complain about most often and what they request from their significant other most often. He theorizes that people tend to naturally give love in the way that they prefer to receive love, and better communication between couples can be accomplished when one can demonstrate caring to the other person in the love language the recipient understands.

An example would be if a husband's love language is acts of service, he may be confused when he does the laundry for his wife and she doesn't perceive that as an act of love, viewing it as simply performing household duties, because the love language she comprehends is words of affirmation (verbal affirmation that he loves her). She may try to use what she values, words of affirmation, to express her love to him, which he would not value as much as she does. If she understands his love language and mows the lawn for him, he perceives it in his love language as an act of expressing her love for him; likewise, if he tells her he loves her, she values that as an act of love. " {end-quote from wiki}

It’s actually great book- trust me!

• Love 7
19 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

OK, so here's what I don't get about that. The Swansons moved to Arkansas before Josiah and Lauren started courting, correct? So why do the previews for next week's episode show Josiah going to Georgia to propose to Lauren?

totally confused, myself.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Yes, in the Duggar house.  It was on the same counter shown in the photo above on the right hand end the last time I saw it.  We've even had discussions on how pricey the k-cups are.

Expensive and they make crap coffee, IMO. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I think I read somewhere that Lauren has a favorite place ( park, etc) in Georgia and Josiah wanted to propose there. 

43 minutes ago, zoomama said:

totally confused, myself.

according to google " A short while ago, Josiah Duggar, 21, proposed to Lauren Swanson, 18, at the Swanson family home in Georgia. The spot where he got down on one knee was the same spot where Lauren's father proposed to her mother years ago.."

One of Pa Swanson companies is Central GA Lawn & Design, LLC -  professional landscape designers in Milledgeville, ( 

Baldwin County) Georgia

trying to find where in GA was the park.... will google until my next show comes on (its board is very active). GA of couse is full of woods and parks, though.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

I think even if  Jinger has friends they are probably Jeremy's friends.  I think the Duggar children's upbringing made it hard for them to trust people, though Jinger seems more open than some.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Maximum environmental damage/waste for a cup of coffee so that tracks with Duggar philosophy.

I can’t snark on them for a Keurig. I have one. LOL. I do sometimes use my own coffee in those reusable pods. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

Jinger: “You never make me feel like I have to measure up to some standard.”

Jeremy: “You are the standard.”

Dammit, Jeremy.  I’ve been trying to dislike you for a very long time now, but if you’re going to keep saying things like that, you’re going to make it difficult.  

That is just amazingly sweet. Ben can write reams of love letters, but Jeremy beat him with one short sentence.

Jeremy has been knocking it out of the park for the past couple of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jill and Jessa were a bit jealous. Plenty of normal women would be, and the Gothard-world puts such a high price on who is "winning" at the marriage game that it would have to suck to see your sister lapping you. God gives the most loving husbands to the women that love Jesus the most, right?

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I can’t snark on them for a Keurig. I have one. LOL. I do sometimes use my own coffee in those reusable pods. 

I do too. I'm so attached I can see myself cradling it in my arms and calling it "My Precious". I'm also an obsessive recycler, so that helps ease the guilt.

• Love 8