Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: An Explosive Reveal

• Start Topic

Jinger and Jeremy celebrate their first anniversary, and Jeremy has a very special surprise for her; Josiah is ready to take the next step and seeks the blessing of Lauren's dad; Joe and Kendra reveal the gender of their baby in a very explosive way.

Man, the timing of events is especially messed up in this episode. JinJer's anniversary was the beginning of November. SiRen got engaged at the end of February. Too lazy to count when Kendra was around 15-20 weeks for the reveal, but it would have been last winter sometime. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

I still find explosive news everyday...in  that no new baby news has come out!

Nobody is officially pregnant right now.  Although Jill, Jessa ans Anna will probably all announce tomorrow!

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Why the heck would the family think surprising them for their anniversary would be a good idea? Who came up with that? (Sorry, I’m not able to watch)

This is the first episode I’ve watched since the Josh fiasco, so it’s been a few years.  I’m only watching because I like Jinger/Jeremy and Henry/Spurgie.

7 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Why the heck would the family think surprising them for their anniversary would be a good idea? Who came up with that? (Sorry, I’m not able to watch)

It is all the boys and the parents. None of the little girls, Jana, etc.  Like what?  Did they all go to Christian Camp and this was a place to stop on the way there or home?

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 1

Is it just me or is Jinger the only one the rest of the Duggars show any genuine emotion over, even the broothers? What is it about Jinger that makes her easy to show emotion about?

i still say it's like this;

Mom's favorites-Josh, Jessa, Josie

Dad's favorite-Jill 

The kids favorite -Jinger

Edited by flyingdi
I type faster than I think!
  • Love 10

Jeremy really loves Jinger. I agree, they had a late anniversary celebration geared toward TLC.  But, Jinger WAS surprised by the piano and her family.  

It was nice to see Joy actually more equal in her marriage than people have thought.  Austin really does love her too. 

Anorher episode featuring JB, Michelle and the kids.  Did the married offspring limit their film schedule??

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Like him or loathe him, Jeremy loves that girl!

Agreed.

and Joe and Kendra seem to adore John David.  

& I also have Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing in my head 

This courtship is a joke. 

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

"Do you know Lauren's love language?"

??

Well, Lauren did mention in a previous episode that Josiah's "love language" was food, so...apparently it's a Swanson thing.

I must say, I thought Jinger's reaction to the piano and to seeing her family (especially Michelle) were really genuine. Also, her response to Jeremy's surprises surpassed Jessa's, because Jinger just seemed so grateful, whereas it seemed like more of a sense of entitlement with Jessa during her and Ben's anniversary.

Good point about Kendra offering food - she did grow up with manners, for sure!

It just seems like in every episode there is more and more JB and Michelle.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, cereality said:

Si just doesn't seem into Lauren. I feel like they DO get along/joke around so that's good, but when he's talking about her before heading over to talk to her dad -- it was very much, as I think about life, work/business, this is the next step. 

Why do you say that, because Josiah and the dad shook hands when the deal was done? Ugh. Sorry if this has been discussed, but I suspect the whole Lauren transaction was signed, sealed and delievered before her family even moved to Arkansas. Her dad was even at Joe and Kendra’s “gender reveal” - wtf? He loves the camera!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Maya said:

Why do you say that, because Josiah and the dad shook hands when the deal was done? Ugh. Sorry if this has been discussed, but I suspect the whole Lauren transaction was signed, sealed and delievered before her family even moved to Arkansas. Her dad was even at Joe and Kendra’s “gender reveal” - wtf? He loves the camera!

OK, so here's what I don't get about that. The Swansons moved to Arkansas before Josiah and Lauren started courting, correct? So why do the previews for next week's episode show Josiah going to Georgia to propose to Lauren?

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Jinger: “You never make me feel like I have to measure up to some standard.”

Jeremy: “You are the standard.”

Dammit, Jeremy.  I’ve been trying to dislike you for a very long time now, but if you’re going to keep saying things like that, you’re going to make it difficult.  

I think it's his OTT ways that make him seem disingenuous. He is always "on" in front of the cameras. I do hope it's genuine and that he is that sweet to her in day to day life when it's not for TV or the perfect IG post. I think we all know at least one couple who seems to barely tolerate each other, yet their SM feeds are gushy and mushy and 100% full of fakery. Most couples who are in no danger of splitting feel no need to shout it from the rooftops on a near-daily basis. I think this is why Jeremy makes so many people question his authenticity. 

And to be fair, Jinger is enamoured with him, and it seems she can truly be herself with him, so I'm inclined to like him for now. They are still newlyweds, so hopefully he learns to calm the hell down with his performances at some point.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Squirrely said:

I think it's his OTT ways that make him seem disingenuous. He is always "on" in front of the cameras. I do hope it's genuine and that he is that sweet to her in day to day life when it's not for TV or the perfect IG post. I think we all know at least one couple who seems to barely tolerate each other, yet their SM feeds are gushy and mushy and 100% full of fakery. Most couples who are in no danger of splitting feel no need to shout it from the rooftops on a near-daily basis. I think this is why Jeremy makes so many people question his authenticity. 

And to be fair, Jinger is enamoured with him, and it seems she can truly be herself with him, so I'm inclined to like him for now. They are still newlyweds, so hopefully he learns to calm the hell down with his performances at some point.

Is it bad that his performances are the exact thing that, out of all the husbands, remind me the most of Jim Bob?

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Squirrely said:

Which is why I prefer Joe as a husband...he doesn't have to be OTT to show how much he cares for Kendra.

• Love 22
10 hours ago, Squirrely said:

I can’t argue with one word.  I’ve always viewed the overly lovey-dovey social media feeds as a sign of major insecurity.  Basically, who are you trying to convince?

I’ve had a soft spot for Jinger from day one, back when they wore the prairie dresses.  She always seemed like the one with the most potential to be “normal” (any regular viewer knows what I mean by this).  I’m overjoyed that she escaped this funny farm and if doing it 1,000 miles away with the occasionally smarmy Jeremy was the way it had to happen, so be it.  I think Jinger will blossom as a mom and woman and the farther from her family she can be while she learns the ropes, the better.  Her pedo brother and enabling, batshit crazy parents have done more than their fair share of damage already.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, flyingdi said:

Cash and or compensation?

2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

"Do you know Lauren's love language?"

??

49 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

That was creepy as all hell. Lauren’s dad is setting off my something’s just not right radar. 

Gotta give Pops a plus at least he at least came up with reason to stall before saying yes...Dugger and Bates stall mainly so the network can go to commercial.

Is your dad supposed to know what your love language is?  The question kinda creeped me out. "is she going to be loved in the way she will receive it..." icky...

RE: not going to bed angry... sounds good on a paper.. wouldn't that depend on how important sleep is to a person? I don't want to stay up all night hashing out something.... and I don't like to make major decisions when I am tired - catch me at 9 in the morning...

RE: provide/ plans for life's work - Joisah kinda answered with jobs that I describe as "pick- ups".. not really a career,trade or steady income.  just doing a little of this.. a little of that....collecting side dollars...

Let's hope he doesn't officiate the wedding... more icky-questions might come out ( flashback to Kenda's father).

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6

2 hrs to a birthing center ???  I know birthing centers aren't on every corner - but just how small is Laredo?

I'm not as familiar with "birthing centers" but I have warmed up to the idea of where Alyssa Webster has her kiddos.  Looks like a professional bldg that might be close to a hospital or at least not in someone's living or bathroom.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, sATL said:

Gotta give Pops a plus at least he at least came up with reason to stall before saying yes...Dugger and Bates stall mainly so the network can go to commercial.

Is your dad supposed to know what your love language is?  The question kinda creeped me out. "is she going to be loved in the way she will receive it..." icky...

RE: not going to bed angry... sounds good on a paper.. wouldn't that depend on how important sleep is to a person? I don't want to stay up all night hashing out something.... and I don't like to make major decisions when I am tired - catch me at 9 in the morning...

RE: provide/ plans for life's work - Joisah kinda answered with jobs that I describe as "pick- ups".. not really a career,trade or steady income.  just doing a little of this.. a little of that....collecting side dollars...

Let's hope he doesn't officiate the wedding... more icky-questions might come out ( flashback to Kenda's father).

Sorry, he did officiate the wedding. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

Dammit, Jeremy.  I’ve been trying to dislike you for a very long time now, but if you’re going to keep saying things like that, you’re going to make it difficult.  

That exchange made me misty eyed.  I love a man that loves his woman.  The editors seem to get a kick out of comparing and contrasting Jinger's and Joy's lives.  They tend to go directly from the Vuolos to the Forsyths.  We get it.  One has a nice home and a doting husband and the other is literally bare foot and pregnant with a husband who doesn't seem to give a damn.  I sincerely hope Austin is going to bumpers in the baby's crib.

• Love 19

How long does it take to fly from Springdale to Laredo in that puddle jumper? It doesn't look like their plane has a bathroom, so I wonder what they do when nature calls? 

I thought the anniversary dinner, piano and family surprise was very sweet. Jinge's hormones must've been raging. I don't think I've ever seen her that emotional. 

I appreciate that Joy isn't one of those annoying moms-to-be who talks about her pregnancy 24/7, but she doesn't seem all that excited about it either. It looks like she had a rough time physically so maybe that dampened her enthusiasm, but she comes across oddly disconnected. 

Si and Lauren? Just all kinds of wrong. He has nothing personal to say about her other than she's "the next step." Mr. Swanson talking about Lauren's love language was skeevy. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

Well, Ma and Pa Kettle are definitely back on the show~

Yep.. they are off punishment... I know the point was to make Jinger less homesick, but could have made their "signature" dishes more heather for the mom-to-be?  The salad looked skimpy on other veggies, I didn't see anything else green on the plate, and the sodium level...

I thought Michelle was a member of weight watchers - she didn't run her family creations by her group/ counselor ?

Tuna & bar-b-que sauce... I can't ... just can't... 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

The snark-er in me wondered if Jinger ever felt the pressure from her sisters or her mother to do a homebirth like everyone else had done. (This was taped before Kendra delivered Garrett, I assume.) 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I know there are serious discrepancies with episode numbering for this show, but did it seriously jump from S07E11 to S08E05? 

I just copied the info from the onscreen description before going to bed. I'll investigate, but TLC is the worst about this. The onscreen description is different than the online guide is different than tv.com. They just cannot get their act together and it is beyond frustrating.

• Love 5

I was touched by Jinger and her surprise, joy and appreciation.  I still hope that she is able to build some confidence though.  Did you notice that when she was chatting with her mom, she rarely made eye contact, but, looked straight ahead, instead of at her mother when speaking....just a little odd to me. 

• Love 1