Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Grab A Bottle

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

LOVED the Boondock Saints. 

I don't think they know what to do with the character. He was so great for the first few seasons, kind of a Renaissance Man. But his character hasn't done jack shit in the past 2 or 3 years.

Right?? All he's done over the past 3 seasons in skulk around with a pissed off look on his face. He had a brief friendship with the recruiter with the satchel, and even that fell to the wayside.

I was also annoyed by the hint of a flirtation between him and Beth. It felt so forced, like he and Carol have this deep multi season bond that just gets shoved aside for a ONE EPISODE arc in which Beth and Daryl are all the sudden bosom buddies, the the point where Daryl is just not the same after she's killed. I liked Beth, and really enjoyed how the show let her come into her own instead of just being Judith's convenient babysitter, but Daryl's reaction to her death seemed rather odd. These people lose close friends on an almost weekly basis.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

You have almost 22 thousand. Seems you're very likeable!

Haha I just post what y'all are already thinking. :-)

I know we could see that info on the profiles, I just found it weird that it is visible on these pages via my cell phone, but not the computer. I wonder if it has to do with the glitch the forums had yesterday?

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas!

May your Teen Mom stocking be filled with condoms that never get used, Bud Light, fake eyelashes, a gift card to the Mexican fast food place that sells quesadillas, and a referral to a plastic surgeon so you too can have that uniboob.

• Love 7

Happy New Year everyone.  Not sure where to put this, so here goes nuthin.

The NY Times has a web page linked below called "The Upshot" that graphically indicates the difference in popularity of various TV shows across the U.S.  They've mapped the top 50 shows, ranked in order of the difference between their highest and lowest fan percentages.

If you scroll down to number 25, you will find Teen Mom.  I have a feeling they are combining both TMOG and TM2, but I have no way of knowing for sure.  Anyway, there are pockets of heavy viewership in South Dakota (Chelsea?) and West Virginia (Leah?).  Aside from a few outliers, the shows seem to be generally more popular in the rural middle of the Country than the Coasts.  There doesn't seem to be much local love for C&T (Michigan), Kail (Delaware), or Farrah (Austin TX).  I believe the unlikely hot spots in New Mexico are related to Kail's friend Sterling Black in Hobbs, but maybe I'm overthinking this! According to the notes, the show is most popular in rural Kentucky and least popular in NY City.  Rural Kentucky viewership may be spillover from its border with West Virginia, though.

Moving on to 16 and Pregnant at number 40 (obviously repeats), the map shows similar pockets of popularity in SD, KY, WV, and surprisingly the Western coast of Alaska.  Again, it is generally more popular in rural Middle America.  Go figure.

Anyway, all of this doesn't really mean Jack Shit in the whole scheme of things, but it is dead at my office so there ya have it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/duck-dynasty-vs-modern-family-television-maps.html

• Love 3
On 12/29/2016 at 4:36 PM, Snarky McSnarky said:

According to the notes, the show is most popular in rural Kentucky and least popular in NY City.  Rural Kentucky viewership may be spillover from its border with West Virginia, though.

This doesn't surprise me at all! We actually have less to do with West Virginia than it would seem, for some reason. My guess is that the reason the show is so popular here is because our teen pregnancy and marriage rate is so high. They see themselves as identifying with the people, for some reason. I live fairly close to WV and Leah is not the favorite character around here. Shockingly enough, it's Farrah and perhaps Cate. 

Guys, I have a question. If we "ignore" someone on this board, will we also be invisible to them? At this point it's either that or I am just going to have to skedaddled because I am super stressed. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

This doesn't surprise me at all! We actually have less to do with West Virginia than it would seem, for some reason. My guess is that the reason the show is so popular here is because our teen pregnancy and marriage rate is so high. They see themselves as identifying with the people, for some reason. I live fairly close to WV and Leah is not the favorite character around here. Shockingly enough, it's Farrah and perhaps Cate. 

Guys, I have a question. If we "ignore" someone on this board, will we also be invisible to them? At this point it's either that or I am just going to have to skedaddled because I am super stressed. 

I shouldn't answer because I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you will be invisible to the people you ignore.  Have you thought about renaming yourself?

3 minutes ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

I shouldn't answer because I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you will be invisible to the people you ignore.  Have you thought about renaming yourself?

Reinventing myself! That actually sounds fun. I shall name myself. "Bananahammock." (Just kidding.)

• Love 4

FYI I did a test. If you block someone, they can continue to see your posts, you just can't see their posts unless someone else quotes them. At that point, you can then see the ignored person's post.

Happy New Year everyone. Just got home after having menudo for breakfast. Ahhh great way to start this day and year. May the year be a great one for all of you.

• Love 4

So it's the opposite to everything I said, lol. I've never "ignored" someone but I came close. Luckily, they appear to have buggered off on their own.

Happy New year to everyone! May your worst day of 2017 be twice as good as your best day of 2016. 

Edited by Katt
  • Love 6
On 1/1/2017 at 0:58 PM, Katt said:

So it's the opposite to everything I said, lol. I've never "ignored" someone but I came close. Luckily, they appear to have buggered off on their own.

Happy New year to everyone! May your worst day of 2017 be twice as good as your best day of 2016. 

Ha ha yeah, we tested the sucker out. Because, you know, the more you know. ;-)

And may 2017 be great for everyone on here. It's been real hanging with you nerds. (And thank you, @Katt, for reading my book and taking a chance!)

• Love 3

Farah and this woman need to be introduced and taped-- they definitely operate on a similar level of denial and delusion. I'd definitely watch that reality show. 

http://chicagoist.com/2017/01/04/watch_woman_whose_pro-trump_rant_in.php

This is the original viral video that the interview refers to.

http://chicagoist.com/2016/11/28/woman_launches_nasty_pro-trump_tira.php

I don't really care who she voted for, it's her complete public meltdown that I am turned off by. 

2 hours ago, evilmindatwork said:

Farah and this woman need to be introduced and taped-- they definitely operate on a similar level of denial and delusion. I'd definitely watch that reality show. 

http://chicagoist.com/2017/01/04/watch_woman_whose_pro-trump_rant_in.php

This is the original viral video that the interview refers to.

http://chicagoist.com/2016/11/28/woman_launches_nasty_pro-trump_tira.php

I don't really care who she voted for, it's her complete public meltdown that I am turned off by. 

That meltdown woman reminds me of not only Farrah, but a few of the other cast members such as Amber, Kail, Leah, Jenelle, and Nathan. 

Edited by GreatKazu

I could use some good vibes. The 9 year old has mono and has been out of school since Sept. Instead of improving, however, the virus has sent him spiraling into a deep depression. And not, like, Cate's come and go kind. He is really struggling mentally. The doc has excused him for the spring semester, too, as of today. With my husband losing his job and my book royalties basically keeping the family afloat, things are rough. Seeing Little Man struggle is the worst. I would drink if I could.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I could use some good vibes. The 9 year old has mono and has been out of school since Sept. Instead of improving, however, the virus has sent him spiraling into a deep depression. And not, like, Cate's come and go kind. He is really struggling mentally. The doc has excused him for the spring semester, too, as of today. With my husband losing his job and my book royalties basically keeping the family afloat, things are rough. Seeing Little Man struggle is the worst. I would drink if I could.

*hugs*  so sorry you're going through all that!  thinking of you...

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

This is so sad to read. I am truly sorry for what you all are going through.

We need to perk you up with some laughs and snark. I need to step up my game and get to that snarky photo thread.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, teapot said:

*hugs*  so sorry you're going through all that!  thinking of you...

13 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

This is so sad to read. I am truly sorry for what you all are going through.

We need to perk you up with some laughs and snark. I need to step up my game and get to that snarky photo thread.

Thanks guys. You know, I didn't realize it was possible for a child that young to go through depression like this. He is just absolutely unable to function at his normal capacity and it's sad. But also, and this is terrible, sometimes it's just a TINY bit funny. Don't hate me or anything but the other night he was up at 6:00 am and just started boohooing like his heart was breaking. This has been happening several times a day and it has been over things that are usually non consequential. He was sobbing so hard that it took him several minutes to form his words. When I finally got it out of him he sobbed, "I just watched the last Mythbusters! It was the reunion show!"

I said, "Dude, I know you're sad, but we have more than 50 DVR'ed. You have more to watch."

Little Man, "But it will NEVER be the same! They're gone!"

And yet, I had a similar reaction to when the GILMORE GIRLS went off the air. So, even with the depression making it worse, he still comes by it honest. :-) 

Still, it must be an awful way to live, especially since it JUST started and isn't his "normal" way of being. I mean, it's one thing to watch your kid sob uncontrollably at TV shows; it's another when they're feeling hopeless and worthless. As a parent that just breaks your heart. 

He and I both love the visual snark page. He has me get on there at least twice a day. He's my Teen Mom watching buddy, too. 

• Love 4

I'm so sorry @mamadrama! If it makes him feel any better, I completely came unglued and cried yesterday because an NFL coach I like is stepping down and then one of my favorite players wrote him a really nice letter. I cried over a nice letter, y'all.

• Love 4

Sweet little guy. Tell him I said "hi" and let him know I am sad about Mythbusters as well. 

By chance, does he like the tv show Tanked? It is about an aquarium business in Vegas. I love it because of the different fishes and other sea life they showcase. I love that sort of thing. 

I had been so busy with the holidays that I couldn't get to the snark thread. I will do my best to get to it and put some more photos. I know your son gets a kick out of it. ;-)

• Love 3
On 1/3/2017 at 1:14 AM, mamadrama said:

Ha ha yeah, we tested the sucker out. Because, you know, the more you know. ;-)

And may 2017 be great for everyone on here. It's been real hanging with you nerds. (And thank you, @Katt, for reading my book and taking a chance!)

I wanna read your book(s) too!

Sorry for little Drama feeling so poorly...although it sucks to deal with depression/mh issues at such a young age, the upside is that maybe he can learn to recognize them and develop coping strategies if he goes through it when he gets older. So many of us are confused when it happens, having had no prior experience. Are there any cheer up/goodie items we can send him? Does he have an amazon wishlist?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GreatKazu said:

Sweet little guy. Tell him I said "hi" and let him know I am sad about Mythbusters as well. 

By chance, does he like the tv show Tanked? It is about an aquarium business in Vegas. I love it because of the different fishes and other sea life they showcase. I love that sort of thing. 

I had been so busy with the holidays that I couldn't get to the snark thread. I will do my best to get to it and put some more photos. I know your son gets a kick out of it. ;-)

We haven't tried TANKED yet. We'll give it a shot. He has recently gotten into Expedition Unknown. I promised him to get started on Lost, too. He missed it the first time it aired. I found it on Netflix and we started watching it last night. He's being very scientific about it-keeping charts on questions he has, characters' names, etc. I'm enjoying rewatching it. I'd forgotten how much I liked my Lost Boys. 

20 minutes ago, sunsheyen said:

I wanna read your book(s) too!

Sorry for little Drama feeling so poorly...although it sucks to deal with depression/mh issues at such a young age, the upside is that maybe he can learn to recognize them and develop coping strategies if he goes through it when he gets older. So many of us are confused when it happens, having had no prior experience. Are there any cheer up/goodie items we can send him? Does he have an amazon wishlist?

Thank you and I agree about learning to recognize them early. We're trying to tell him, too, that it's okay to have those feelings. But that we must also must learn to cope/deal with those things so that they don't take over our lives. I am hoping that the counseling and supplements (the epstein barr virus depleted him of B12 and D) will help regulate his emotions a little more. He's a very sweet child. Our DD is 5 and a real ass kicker. He was already kind of sensitive to begin with so there was groundwork for this to happen. I think a wish list would be a nice idea. Since he'll be home for several more months, I have been looking at art supplies and books for him, to help with the teaching and entertaining. He loves to read and draw. 

• Love 2

@mamadrama, I'm so sorry to hear what y'all are going through. I hope he feels better soon. I've been more or less depressed, in a manageable way, since elementary school and still fight it as an adult. FWIW, I started swimming seriously around age 8, and swimming helps me manage to this day. I suspect any athletic activity would but the meditative aspect of swimming from free-floating to stroke mechanics to breath control makes it especially affective for me personally. It's like tylenol for headaches but much more long-lasting as a medication. Also, painting and writing. Anyway, you're a brilliant person and I'm sure will find things that will help but as someone who suffered from childhood depression, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. 

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, evilmindatwork said:

@mamadrama, I'm so sorry to hear what y'all are going through. I hope he feels better soon. I've been more or less depressed, in a manageable way, since elementary school and still fight it as an adult. FWIW, I started swimming seriously around age 8, and swimming helps me manage to this day. I suspect any athletic activity would but the meditative aspect of swimming from free-floating to stroke mechanics to breath control makes it especially affective for me personally. It's like tylenol for headaches but much more long-lasting as a medication. Also, painting and writing. Anyway, you're a brilliant person and I'm sure will find things that will help but as someone who suffered from childhood depression, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. 

Thank you so much. I am sure the limited physical activity has had something to do with this. His spleen and liver are still enlarged from the mono so he had to stop karate and basketball. We've been riding bikes and walking, which are about all I can handle, but I think once the physical problems start improving and he can be more active again, he will start improving mentally as well. He just got into journaling and really likes it. Having someplace to share your thoughts definitely helped me when I was growing up. (Ha ha, now I have you guys!) 

• Love 2

I'm so sorry to read about your troubles @mamadrama.

My own life hasn't been too great lately. My kids, husband, and I are all in good health, so can't complain too much. But my parents just decided to officially split up after 40 years of marriage. This is one sided and one of my parents is completely devastated. The other one feels really awful but the mind is made up. Listening to both my parents cry has been one of the worst experiences of my life. I have been miserable since Thanksgiving when this came to light, and I feel like Chandler from Friends where I never want to celebrate thanksgiving again.

• Love 1

OMG @Tatum I am real sorry to read about your parents. I am also sorry for what you are having to go through. You have been going through this since November? Oh my. Watching any parent cry for any reason is very heartbreaking. It must be so devastating.  Your heart must be so heavy from all the emotions you are going through. ((((hugs))))

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Tatum said:

My own life hasn't been too great lately. My kids, husband, and I are all in good health, so can't complain too much. But my parents just decided to officially split up after 40 years of marriage. This is one sided and one of my parents is completely devastated. The other one feels really awful but the mind is made up. Listening to both my parents cry has been one of the worst experiences of my life. I have been miserable since Thanksgiving when this came to light, and I feel like Chandler from Friends where I never want to celebrate thanksgiving again.

it's really difficult to see our parents vulnerable.  so sorry that you're dealing with that, especially over the holidays.

• Love 2

Sending you and your son love, MamaDrama.

And you too, Tatum. And if you need to eat macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner while ignoring all traditional foods and customs associated with the holiday a la Chandler Bing for years to come, I think that's perfectly understandable. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 4
On 1/5/2017 at 2:18 PM, Tatum said:

Been there.  January 1st 2000, after 32 years of marriage.  It's an incredible mindfuck.  I hate saying "hang in there" but it actually applies here.  It gets rough, it gets easier, and it gets weird.  Seriously.  3 or 4 decades don't just dissolve on a particular day. I can't tell you how, I wish I could, but it will all make better sense as it comes down the line.  Not that it ever makes complete sense, because in my case, my parents are like best friends now. Which, WTF? I've been known to say "where the hell were you two 20/25/30 years ago?"

• Love 4

@mamadrama, try some shellfish to help the boy in his journey.  I craved crablegs while my liver was stressed out last year. I was told I'd be dead in 3 months without a transplant. It was that bad. I swear, my cravings must have saved me. I just took in whatever I felt like eating. Crab legs, tomatoes and mozzarella, and caramel sundaes were my life! Year later, with all my original parts so....

Anyway, best wishes and healing vibes. Kids not feeling well pretty much sucks. I feel ya.

• Love 2

My daughter came down with a virus last night-vomiting, fever, and bloodshot eyes. She is 5 and hasn't been sick since she was an infant. It's basically the Mama Drama Infirmary here at our house. For Lysol and bleach-I need to sage the damn place. 

And yes, @MissMel, I agree about feeding them what they want. He's been craving the heck out of maccaroni with olive oil, salt, and pepper. As long as he is eating, I'll feed him eclairs all day long. He's taking a multi-vitamin and drinking lots of fluids so it's the food we've been worried about the most. 

• Love 1

We've talked a lot about Amber's issues with the IRS-well, I just got hit with something pretty bad myself. Not nearly as much as hers but still a sizable dent. (It's not for not paying taxes, it's for not filing something they seem to think I didn't.) Are any of you guys tax pros or anything? I could use some PM advice (even just off the record) before moving forward. Not only are they only giving me a 2-weeks' notice to pay it, I don't think I even owe it in the first place. 

9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

We've talked a lot about Amber's issues with the IRS-well, I just got hit with something pretty bad myself. Not nearly as much as hers but still a sizable dent. (It's not for not paying taxes, it's for not filing something they seem to think I didn't.) Are any of you guys tax pros or anything? I could use some PM advice (even just off the record) before moving forward. Not only are they only giving me a 2-weeks' notice to pay it, I don't think I even owe it in the first place. 

@TaxNerd?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Thanks @Katt!

Not legally binding advice:

The IRS is actually very easy to work with.  Call them on Monday and find out exactly what is missing and keep asking questions until you fully understand.  

If it's just a missing form, they will tell you how to send it in, and give you an extension (like 30, 45, 60 days) so they have time to process.

Once they get the info, they usually send a new statement showing a $0 balance, but you can always call again.

Good luck, see yall on April 16th ?!

• Love 2

Y'all, why have I never read this thread!? I'm just catching up on it because, obviously I should be sleeping. 

I was laughing about the ignore feature, I have been so tempted, but I have the fear that the person is going to say something outrageously crazy/funny or something and I will miss it. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, leighroda said:

Y'all, why have I never read this thread!? I'm just catching up on it because, obviously I should be sleeping. 

I was laughing about the ignore feature, I have been so tempted, but I have the fear that the person is going to say something outrageously crazy/funny or something and I will miss it. 

Shew, I know what you mean. I use it and then un-use it because I don't want to miss anything!

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Marisagf said:

Has anyone here seen Teen Mom UK?  It's on MTV Canada.  Not sure if it's on in the US.

It needs to get on my TV post-haste...because I need another trashy reality show (no I don't, but...)

• Love 2

The trailer couple gets even better

Spoiler

They spend all of the dad's savings on a horse she's always wanted but doesn't know how to take care of. She's scared of it and they put the horse in a tiny back yard. THEN they realise they can't take care of it and return in. 

• Love 1

Thanks for that! Some things are universal - I see a cracked iPhone, a Marilyn Monroe pillow, and lots of drawn on eyebrows. It's interesting to see them in different stages of being teen moms instead of our gals who are all growing up (well, sort of) together. 

Okay, so I've watched all 8 episodes that are posted (and the last one looks like it was the finale--maybe) and now I'm really bummed I'm out of episodes. I don't follow any of these girls on social media or anything like that so their stories were all new to me. And yes, definitely some universal themes like too many babies by too many people and a constant need to make bad choices. 

• Love 1