Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Grab A Bottle

• Start Topic

Special thank you to sweet words for a speedy surgical recovery. Turns out I had a congenital pulmonary issue. My pulmologist has no idea how I was able to make it in the military for 8 year.  Well, I was a Sailor and that's a little easier than being a Soldier or a Marine.  Sitting in a hospital bed right now in pain and wanting my own bed (and missing my kiddo and family), how the hell do these TM's have all these elective surgeries?!!!  I never want another surgery, let alone ass implants or nose jobs.  

• Love 7

I had to look that up, girlfriend. I am no doctor!

OMG. That is some scary shit! So glad you are here with us to snark.  How long will you be in the hospital?

how the hell do these TM's have all these elective surgeries?!!!  I never want another surgery, let alone ass implants or nose jobs.  

They crazy.

• Love 2

All righty then!!

I have never even been over here to Small Talk and I didn't know this place existed. I suppose this is where one would come to ask who had the dumb idea of putting almonds in Snickers or why Panera took away their "unhealthy" items on the menu LIKE MY FAVORITE ASIAN SESAME CHICKEN SALAD yet they still have a giant case of pastries and sell soda. I now have to make my own sesame dressing and take it with me, and I usually end up spilling a bit in my purse.

@mamadrama and any Bea fans........as far as Matt goes, we still have a big thing for each other, even though we are married to other people. *SIGH* Go ahead, clutch your pearls, I don't care. I'm married but I'm not dead! ;-)

He is actually returning today from New York where he was attending a charity fundraiser event for Bea's work. He hasn't told me yet if it was animal-related or LGBT-related. He sent me a picture of himself looking snappy in his suit but he had a bitchy-ass look on his face.

He and his brother Daniel were adopted as babies in the 60's by Bea and her husband Gene Saks. Matt builds high-end homes in the LA area (I guess he's UPPA CLASS! Hah) and Daniel is a set designer.

I met Matt in early '98 when I was working across the street from his house and he waved at me. "WHO IS THAT BEAUTIFUL MAN PULLING WEEDS?!" I spluttered to myself as I went to my car one day. I'd see him take off on his motorcycle from time to time, and he'd yell BYE at me. I stuck a note in his door telling him to call me and that I'd like him to take me out on his motorcycle sometime. (I can be a bit forward) Totally unlike a typical man, he completely obeyed me! The rest is history. :-)

I hadn't made the connection of who his parents were until I saw a framed Cactus Flower poster in one of the bedrooms. That was directed by his father, and Matt actually has a brief and tiny part in it. When I saw that I instantly knew. As I told @ChicagoChris, Matt is very sensitive and contemplative and introspective, almost shy sometimes. No big ego at all, thank god, or I wouldn't have been able to stand him. Living in LA was a nightmare at times because of peoples' egos, but I do miss it otherwise. I moved out of LA in late '99 and when I knew I was moving I wrote him this gigantic letter spilling all my emotions and leaving nothing unsaid (all good, mushy stuff, nothing bad), figuring I would never see him again anything. I again shoved it in his door (I seemed to enjoy shoving things in his door!), this time the door of his new house a few blocks from his old house, and he called me about an hour later and said he loved it. He took me out to dinner one last time and as we parted, he last thing he said to me was "Don't cry." and I didn't, not til I got in the car and blubbered privately all the way back to Hollywood.

I think my post is too long....

Ah ha, it was too long, and wouldn't let me post the whole thing. Well.

Matt says he had a very happy, family-oriented childhood and Bea was very very hands-on and involved with him and his brother. She loved being a mom and taking care of them, and being away from the spotlight. He loves animals, too, just like Bea, which is always VERY attractive to me in a man. One of the first things he asked me was what my cat's name was, and that thrilled me to the core.

We only reconnected this year on Facebook and he told me that the timing when we were together was bad, which made him not as emotionally available as was both needed, which is why things didn't work and he wished it had been different. It's really nice to know that he had thought of me all these years because I definitely have thought of him. We talk all the time now and FaceTime and junk and I will see him when I go back down to LA in December (I'm in San Jose now). That should be really exciting. My son's name is Matt and Matt Saks likes to joke that I named him after him. He is definitely not his, though, because he would be 17 and he's only 12.

I feel naked sitting here talking about this! I hope it's not disrespectful to him that I am discussing him. He's not some Teen Mom jackass who puts themselves out there. But, at least I have nothing but good things to say.

I realize you'd like to hear Bea stories and probably not about my relationship, but that's what I've got. It's still Bea-related! I can, however, get Bea stories from him.

If you Google him it shows pictures of a guy named Matthew Settle instead, not sure why. Dat ain't him.

Here are two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7aYF_VJ1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaE8AD0qHo

If anyone has any questions, please just ask! :-)

@CofCinci, I too hope you're feeling better and on the mend!

Edited by AhFillAck
I had to bold some thangs.
  • Love 14

Wow! Love this story. He sounds like a remarkable man. I too love it when a man declares his love for animals. He must have such a huge heart. No doubt, Bea raised a fine, young man. Kudos to her and her husband.

(I seemed to enjoy shoving things in his door!)

LMAO

Kinda kinky there. :-)

• Love 5

I love Bea Arthur in Golden Girls, Maude, All in the Family, etc. 

Note to GreatKazu: I have all seasons of King of Queens on DVD too! And Roseanne. I will eventually have all the Golden Girls but I hadn't been collecting them yet because I just cancelled my Dish Network and they were on daily in reruns, so I didn't feel the need for them yet, but now I will. :-) I think GG is one of the best sitcoms ever.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, lezlers said:

But WHO  FROM THE CAST OF 90210 WAS A JERK TO YOU AT KFC IN 1998??  I came over here just to read that.  :D

I live for celebrity encounters.  No shame. 

I bet the initials are S.D.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, starfire said:

I bet you're right.  I can't think of anyone else who had a jerk reputation on that show (and believe me, I've seen every behind the scenes show/article there is.)  Have I mentioned I have ZERO shame?

• Love 2

Wow @AhFillAck that is a GREAT story! And even with his famous parents aside, he sounds like a truly lovely man. You know, I also have a person in my life that I still think about and stay in contact with. I love my husband and children dearly and wouldn't change a thing in the world but there's always going to be this little piece of me that wonders "what if." I think that's human and especially true of women. When we get attached to people, we really do. It's a very gray area. When I had my second child I remember worrying that I wouldn't be able to love them as much as my first. Someone finally told me that I needed to quit worrying about having enough room in ONE heart-that with each additional child we grow an additional heart so that there is room for everyone. I think that is true in ALL the ways we love. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, starfire said:

51 minutes ago, lezlers said:

I bet you're right.  I can't think of anyone else who had a jerk reputation on that show (and believe me, I've seen every behind the scenes show/article there is.)  Have I mentioned I have ZERO shame?

LOLLLLLLLL "yes! you are correct!" (Ed McMahon voice) She was an asshole to the poor guy that worked there who seemed to be alone and was rushing around trying to do his best on a Saturday night. I was waiting at the counter for my order and this harpy next to me said "You're fucking out of mashed potatoes?" then she looked in the bag and said something in an EXTREMELY condescending tone about "Do you think you can possibly take this back and get the goddamned order right??" I thought "Who is this bitch?" and looked to my right. Standing one foot from me was S.D. She turned to some guy with her and said in a very loud tone "THEY FUCKED UP YOUR ORDER!" I told the KFC guy that he was doing fine. I stared at Shannen and noticed that she had little chicken legs and very dry fried-up looking hair. She did have lovely hands, though, with very nice nails. Looking back I should have said something to her. Or tossed gravy into her lopsided eyes. I don't know why I didn't.  

1 hour ago, lezlers said:

But WHO  FROM THE CAST OF 90210 WAS A JERK TO YOU AT KFC IN 1998??  I came over here just to read that.  :D

Between special effects/sculpting jobs I worked for a high end contractor to make ends meet, and this contractor worked on many-a-celebrity's home. I would never get to meet these people but I would get to talk to "their people". I shopped for pool tiles for Kenneth Babyface Edmonds, who should have been nicknamed Crybaby instead. Whiny, entitled fellow. I loved hearing stories from my boss, who of course worked directly with these people. John Travolta? Jerk. Entitled. Demanding. They kept that son of theirs locked away in a room in the house and my boss would hear horrendous noises coming from him. He said Cindy Crawford was extremely nice and gracious, and was easy to work with. He built her a giant leather covered box that her TV could rise up out of, and I did a design on it out of fancy-ass expensive metal tacks. I will try to think of more...

This was all back in the late 90's. I would see lots of celebrities out and about, and never cared much except the one time that I HAD to say something to one. I was at a restaurant in Santa Monica and saw Kim Wayans eating some soup! I love her!! I have always been a huge In Living Color fan, so I went up to her quietly and said "Excuse me....Hi Kim, I don't want to interrupt your lunch too much but I just had to say that you and your family have made me laugh for SO many years, and I just wanted to thank you so much for that!" She was SO sweet and gracious and thanked me for taking a moment to tell her that, and that it meant a lot to her. Then I said "But I ain't one to gossip, so you ain't heard that from me!" and went on my way. She laughed and waved bye to me. Benita Butrell lives on! I use Benita's lines all the time.

My friend Todd saw Cameron Diaz at a party and said her face was covered in scabs and she was picking at them.

I got an incredibly dirty look from Dennis Quaid at a car wash, for no reason at all.

Kathleen Robertson was at IKEA in Burbank buying the ugliest table in the whole store.

I used to love Mackenzie Astin. My dentist was also his dentist and apparently was friends with all the Astins (now that I think of it, I can't remember how it even came up) and I asked if he could give Mackenzie my phone number. He said he "would be delighted to." I moved shortly after that so I don't know if Mackenzie ever called. Poop.

My favorite are Bill Paxton, Patrick Swayze (whaaa!) and Kurt Russell. I never saw any of them anywhere, but I do have two postcards that Bill wrote me. I treasure them.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

Wow! Love this story. He sounds like a remarkable man. I too love it when a man declares his love for animals. He must have such a huge heart. No doubt, Bea raised a fine, young man. Kudos to her and her husband.

LMAO

Kinda kinky there. :-)

Glad you liked it! :)

Ha ha, yes, well, his doors were very attractive! I shoved things into his mail slot, too. When he was sad I would Xerox my favorite Woody Allen short stories and stick them in there to make him laugh.

2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Wow @AhFillAck that is a GREAT story! And even with his famous parents aside, he sounds like a truly lovely man. You know, I also have a person in my life that I still think about and stay in contact with. I love my husband and children dearly and wouldn't change a thing in the world but there's always going to be this little piece of me that wonders "what if." I think that's human and especially true of women. When we get attached to people, we really do. It's a very gray area. When I had my second child I remember worrying that I wouldn't be able to love them as much as my first. Someone finally told me that I needed to quit worrying about having enough room in ONE heart-that with each additional child we grow an additional heart so that there is room for everyone. I think that is true in ALL the ways we love. 

Thanks. :) I can relate....I wouldn't change anything either, because I love my life now, but still....*sigh* Also, as I have gotten older I have realized that conventional relationships/marriage and the thoughts that go along with them are not always ideal or even realistic. Yes, I am married and happy, and hope to be with my husband forever, but I think the brain and heart can need a little elbow room, and that's ok. It is ok to have attachments and feelings and you can't live in an emotional box. I am a hopeless romantic (Dan: "I'm a hopeless romantic." Roseanne: "No, you're just hopeless.") and yes, my attachments are as deep as the ocean.

I worried about the same thing when I was pregnant with my daughter. I loved my son (he was 2 at the time) so incredibly much, I was sure no other baby could ever measure up, and even though I intentionally conceived her and wanted her a million percent, it almost felt like another baby would almost be an interloper into a life that was already perfect. But it did become even better and I was astounded at the additional, fantastical boundless love. Sure, more work with another baby, but who cares? Everything became twice as wonderful and twice as much fun. They are 9 and 12 now and the loves of my life.

Matt texted me earlier saying "we are flying, sitting on a parked plane. B.S. delays." I asked him how the hell he can be flying and parked at the same time. We like to sass each other.

• Love 5

AhFillAck, I love these stories! Thank you for sharing!

That makes me very sad about Jett Travolta....especially the noises you heard. That poor child. :(

You don't happen to have any stories about Jon Bon Jovi or Richie Sambora? I might be a big Bon Jovi fan. Jon is mostly based on the east coast, but he did spend some time on the west coast in the 1990s at his beach home and allegedly had a side chick in California.

• Love 4

Ooh celebrity stories! I wish I could share. I live in the midwest though, and don't get many. My old boss at Dairy Queen did go to high school with Josh Hartnett and brought in her yearbook with him in it, so that was a good day. I used to love Josh Hartnett in the late 90s.

Has anyone ever had a good experience with Shannen Doherty? Seems like every single person to have ever encountered her has a story. 

Jason Priestly also came out and said Mischa Barton was a huge bitch in her heyday. Of course she's been somewhat humbled by now.

• Love 2

Has anyone ever had a good experience with Shannen Doherty? Seems like every single person to have ever encountered her has a story. 

This girl, who is married to a cousin of a friend of mine, works at our local DMV office. She shared a photo of herself with Shannen who was at the office taking her driving test. She had nothing but positive things to say. Maybe the years have humbled her? I know Shannen is dealing with breast cancer.

Matt texted me earlier saying "we are flying, sitting on a parked plane. B.S. delays." I asked him how the hell he can be flying and parked at the same time. We like to sass each other.

LOL 

I met Whoopi Goldberg at this job I had many moons ago. At that time she lived close by, in Malibu. She was pleasant and very kind. Gave me a hug. Those were the days before we had cell phones to take a selfie.

While my family and I were at LAX in line to board a plane, we saw the wrestler, Kurt Angle, in line with us. Mind you, I didn't recognize him. My husband and kids did. They were all excited. They took photos with him.

Another time while we were boarding a plane at Burbank Airport, I saw Priscilla Presley in first class. She didn't look as bad as she had been looking with her bad plastic surgery. I smiled and gave a little wave at her. She smiled and waved back.

My husband did a lot of construction and roofing in the Los Angeles area before I met him. He told me stories about Demi Moore, Lynda Carter, and other celebs whose houses were being renovated.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

Another time while we were boarding a plane at Burbank Airport, I saw Priscilla Presley in first class. She didn't look as bad as she had been looking with her bad plastic surgery. I smiled and gave a little wave at her. She smiled and waved back.

Pardon the language but I would s***a brick if I were to see Priscilla Presley. I am a HUGE fan, have been obsessed with her since I was 14. Hell, my mom got me one of her perfumes when I was a teenager and I still have the bottle-20 years later. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

AhFillAck, I love these stories! Thank you for sharing!

That makes me very sad about Jett Travolta....especially the noises you heard. That poor child. :(

You don't happen to have any stories about Jon Bon Jovi or Richie Sambora? I might be a big Bon Jovi fan. Jon is mostly based on the east coast, but he did spend some time on the west coast in the 1990s at his beach home and allegedly had a side chick in California.

You're welcome! :) Sorry, no Jon or Richie stories! I lived in New Jersey for a few years, though, and have been to Sayreville, so I surely drove on some roads that Jon drove on. ;-)

Here are some more late 90's L.A. sightings for you people to lap up:

K.D. Lang was shopping in Pier 1 in the pillow section.

Scott Wolf and Paula Devicq were shopping in Wild Oats (they were on Party of Five at the time). They looked unhappy.

Edward Furlong crossed Ventura Blvd. in one direction as I was crossing the other and our eyes met as passed close by me. He looked unkempt, fatigued and angst-ridden as he always did. I had always found something rather creepily attractive about him but I can't pinpoint what it is.

My boyfriend and I played a round of golf with Bob Eubanks (The Newlywed Game) at Griffith Park. I never let on I knew who he was, but I was tickled, and would have enjoyed the chance to say the line "That would be the butt, Bob!" He was very very nice and also forgiving of my spazzy techniques. The course was busy so they paired us up with him and his companion, a young blonde wearing a very expensive looking golf outfit. I always wondered if she was his wife or daughter or what.

I sat near John Franklin, that freaky Isaac kid (though already an adult) in Children of the Corn at a movie screening. Afterwards he almost ran into me while talking on a cell phone, which was the size of a pound of butter in those days. I thought he was quite technologically sophisticated! He still looked 12.

Earlier, in the 80's my boyfriend at the time got to go backstage at a Bangles concert (before I met him) and said they were all bitches except for Debbi, the blonde one.

Later, in L.A., before Matt, another boyfriend had a close friend who dated Susanna Hoffs. Another of his friends, David Coburn, was on One Day at a Time, Facts of Life, and many other things since he was a young teen. I really liked David and we all hung out often. He was another big animal lover and had dogs and kitties. He came over for Thanksgiving one year when my bf (and cat) and I were hosting dinner, and he took my first turkey ever out of the oven for me.

Most of you young people are likely sounding like owls saying "Who? Who? Who?" Ha ha!!!

I really enjoy knowing which celebrities are assholes.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Pardon the language but I would s***a brick if I were to see Priscilla Presley. I am a HUGE fan, have been obsessed with her since I was 14. Hell, my mom got me one of her perfumes when I was a teenager and I still have the bottle-20 years later. 

I had no idea she had a perfume line. I was a huge DALLAS fan. She played on the show as Bobby's love interest, Jenna Wade. I hated that character!! She came between Bobby and Pam. I wish I could have told Priscilla that when I saw her. lol   I actually wished I had my phone in my hand so I could have snapped a photo. Damn.

David Coburn

I loooooved One Day at a Time and Facts of Life. I remember that actor!

I met La Toya Jackson. This was shortly after Michael died. I had a quick chat with her. Very nice lady.

My husband sees the guy from Married with Children a lot at his job, Dan Tullis, Jr. He played Officer Dan on the show. My husband sees Seth MacFarlane's dad quite often and sometimes chats it up with him. He also met Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) and helped her out with a special order.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, AhFillAck said:

I really enjoy knowing which celebrities are assholes.

Me too! Does anyone have any Reese Witherspoon inside stories? About 15 years ago, Cosmo published a spread on Hollywood's meanest actors, but without names because the people telling the story had to say how they knew each tidbit, which would out them as the gossip. Someone told a story about a really bitchy A list actress (this was 2001) who had started acting really young and an absolute nightmare to work with. Apparently she complained to the directors and producers if any of her co stars tried to talk to her on the set. I always wondered if that was her.

I have heard from a pretty good source that Orlando Bloom is a complete asshole, and on each movie set, someone has to babysit him and cover for him when he gets really drunk and vandalizes shit or mouths off to the wrong person (like a cop).

10 hours ago, AhFillAck said:

Edward Furlong crossed Ventura Blvd. in one direction as I was crossing the other and our eyes met as passed close by me. He looked unkempt, fatigued and angst-ridden as he always did. I had always found something rather creepily attractive about him but I can't pinpoint what it is.

I had a bit of a crush on him during the American History X days. I'm so embarrassed by that now.

• Love 3

Does anyone have any Reese Witherspoon inside stories? About 15 years ago, Cosmo published a spread on Hollywood's meanest actors, but without names because the people telling the story had to say how they knew each tidbit, which would out them as the gossip. Someone told a story about a really bitchy A list actress (this was 2001) who had started acting really young and an absolute nightmare to work with. Apparently she complained to the directors and producers if any of her co stars tried to talk to her on the set. I always wondered if that was her.

I just did some Googling and apparently she does have a nasty reputation. I had no idea.

I have to take up for Reese Witherspoon. We are the same age and hung around the same circle of friends in our tween years. Her dad was also my ENT doctor and my kids. She was visiting him at the office one day (after she had become famous) while I was there with my daughter and she was playing with her while I checked out and was very respectful and friendly to all the staff. We have a lot of celebrities in my area but the unspoken rule is they are regular people, don't harass them and they don't get special treatment for the most part either. The only two I've ever seen who acted horrible were Billy Ray Cyrus and Wynonna Judd. This was at a charity event in the 90s where Wynonna treated the staff working the event like her personal servants (her mom apologized for her behavior) and Billy Ray Cyrus was trying to have a group of people thrown out of their VIP area that they had paid for, for his entourage. He was asked to leave.

• Love 3

I'm loving these encounter stories.

When I was in the Navy, one of the ships I served on would get celebrities and VIP guests all the time (newer, state of the art ship with a CO and XO who loved the cameras). This was in 2003 at the start of the Iraq war so it looked good to pose with servicemembers. Most of them were country music stars that I ever heard of so I'd let others go to the meet and greets because they were fans. They always wanted their pictures taken while serving us in the galley. It was usually a clusterfuck. I only have X amount of time to eat in the galley and get back to my workspace so my relief can go eat.  They weren't quick enough or would giggle or ask odd questions.  I'm a female sailor and there weren't many on my ship at the time, so female celebrities would ask dumb questions, like can I wear makeup - yes, I can but I worked in the engineroom so it melts off in minutes.  Or they'd ask if we had boyfriends on the ship and if we were able to spend time together "wink wink".  Oh jeez.  Also, these celebrities would sometimes bring boxes of their perfume or whatever cosmetic they were selling.  I was enlisted, so we don't have staterooms like the female officers.  I had a coffin bunk and a small locker for my personal property.  I have no space for these products.  No one wanted them.  They'd sit in a common area until some booter was told to throw them away or burn them.

But the best story comes from when I was stationed for shore duty on Guam.  Mariah Carey had an obsession with the island at the time.  This was right before 9/11/01 (maybe early 2000?) so the small base that I worked on (communications site) was partially open to the public because there's a lovely beach (after vehicle search and obtaining guest pass, one could be escorted to the beach). Now, the island of Guam is without birds because of the invasive Brown Tree Snake (BTW, I lived there for almost 4 years and never saw a snake. There are no birds because of the military comtelsta. HAARP shit.). Well, Mariah wanted to reintroduce birds to Guam and I think she spent a good deal of her own money on this pursuit.  The local press loved to cover Mariah's visits. The TV channels would break into broadcasts to announce that she was on the island. She popped up on my base one day, which is a smaller station far north of the main base in order to visit the secluded but beautiful beach and release birds. We usually didn't get VIPs at our site because we co-worked with contractors (pictures wouldn't show many in uniform so why bother plus this was right before 9/11 so no one cared about the military). At the time there were maybe 50-65 sailors at my site. Most were young and single.  Some had their families living on the base with them. Two dozen contractors and maybe 20 locals and spouses working in the store, gym, gas station. Everyone knew everyone. Very small installation that I think is gone now as they're constructing a super mega base on Guam or completely contracted out.  It was all very impromptu and disorganized - but she put on a small little concert and party (pig roast, kegs, the works).  We unofficially shut down operations, closed the gate and drank the day away.   She brought tons of gifts too. We each got a minidisc player with her new album Rainbow.  Minidiscs were the hot new tech item at that time so we were all excited.  She changed her outfit at least 5 times in 7 hours.  One of her people ran to the small NEXer (base store) and purchased her a uniform (at that time were were still in the classic denim bellbottom dungarees). She looked so adorable (but later on there was a bullshit "investigation" as to who purchased or gave the items to Mariah because it violates policy.  Some were punished for leaving their watch stations too). This was before cellphone cameras so there aren't many pictures.  She didn't do this for promotion and there weren't any pictures released by her people either. The day was just something she wanted to do (or manic episode). Regardless, it was such a wonderful, strange experience. One of the highlights of my military career. After she left, the party continued and we drank all night. Mariah took two guys I worked with back to her hotel.  One was dating my old roommate Sharnya at the time and they broke up the moment Mariah invited him over.  Both guys said they slept with her (not at the same time) but no one believed it.  As for me, I hooked up with another sailor who later became my first husband/my daughter's father (we parted on good terms, no bad blood).  If Mariah didn't visit us and get us all drunk, I don't think we would have ever dated. Strange how a life's course can change so much in a day (or because of intoxication).

I had such fun times in the Navy before 9/11. It was like the PeaceCorps.  We did a lot of volunteer work all around Micronesia, such as build schools and disaster relief during typhoons.  I felt like I was spreading freedom and democracy. Then, 9/11 happened and it was like "oh shit, we are at war now" and I didn't feel good about what I was doing. I was working on equipment that killed people.  I didn't want to stay in the Navy anymore. I didn't want my husband to stay either. I decided not to re-enlist after 8 years (2005), which most people consider crazy because I made rank quick and my career would be easy for the next 12 years (can retire at 20 years). He wanted a military career (retires soon with 24 years of service).  We divorced by 2007. I just couldn't be with someone that didn't share my values and I didn't like being a Navy wife.  Now, I'm a psychotherapist at the VA and have pretty sweet life.  Things work out differently than planned in life. 

Oh, Mariah was sweet and lovely but kept telling us how sad she was -- she was without her dogs.  She only appeared happy when she was singing or handing us gifts and watching us open them. Her dogs had to stay on the plane because Guam is a rabies-free island and pets from the US have to be quarantined for 6 months before being reunited with their owners.  Most servicemenbers can't afford to board their pet for 6 months so you don't see many cute dogs on Guam.  The CO or the XO said that they'd arrange it and she can have her dogs but she declined.  She spoke much on invasive species and the delicate ecosystems of islands.  She seemed very educated on the topic.  Unlike entitled asshats like Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.

She released birds that day and we never saw them again.

I'm rambling. Sorry. Pills. Or as Leah Messer says, pillses. Recovering from surgery well. Thank you for the kind words and messages. I didn't realize that so many enjoyed my posts on PTV. 

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 12

Odd celebrity encounters?

I was at a movie on a weekday afternoon many years ago in NYC.  There was an empty seat to my left, and then people in the next seats.   A man behind me tapped on my shoulder and when I turned around, he said, "That's Dustin Hoffman," pointing to the person in the seat next to the empty one.  I said, "Oh, okay."

It was some bleak foreign film and that damn Hoffman kept checking his watch, which had a really bright light.  Then he left about 3/4 of the way through the movie.  I guess he had an appointment.

At the Telluride Film Festival once, I was in a seat, and my friend was in the next seat, and in came Peter Bogdanovich and Dorothy Stratten's little sister Louise, and sat next to my friend.  I doubt I'd ever even seen a photo of Louise as an adult, but she looked enough like Dorothy that I knew instantly who it was.  Creepy.  During the movie, Bogdanovich kept "whispering" to Louise, only he's got that deep voice and it totally wasn't whispering, and my friend shushed him. 

In 1997, I was in Austin with my friend who shushed a famous director, eating at a burger place.  I told my friend, "The guy who made Beavis & Butt-Head is in here--guess who he is."  My friend was totally stumped, and actually, I don't know how I knew what Mike Judge looked like--maybe publicity for King of the Hill, which had just started?  (This was in the early days of the internet, when downloading a photo on dial-up was best accomplished by starting the process, and then taking a shower and maybe having lunch before expecting it to be finished.) 

Anyway, I have a policy of never approaching famous people, but I was about 35 when Beavis & Butt-Head came on the air, and was an early adopter of how smart the show was, so I didn't feel like I was some fan-girl.  Plus I was sure he never got approached because nobody knew what he looked like.

He was sitting by himself, and I went over and told him how much I loved Beavis & Butt-Head, and that I'm more of a fan than I ever want to admit in public.  I think it really did surprise him that somebody knew who he was, and he said thanks and asked if I wanted to sit down, but I said I was with a friend, and wished him luck with King of the Hill.

Oh, and one more.  A friend of mine was dying of cancer, and I went to stay with her family to take her to appointments and whatnot.  On some mornings, neighbors would come over to pray.  I'm an atheist, but it made my friend feel better so I participated.  The drill was that my friend sat in the center of a circle of people holding hands and praying.  One morning, the person I was holding hands with in the circle was Ann B. Davis, who played the maid on the Brady Bunch.  I never let on that I knew who she was, even though ANYONE my age would have known.

I remember thinking, as this tableau played out, "My life is weird."

• Love 7

I can tell you for sure that Chrissie Hynde is a complete and total bitch.  I can also tell you that Ice T and Coco are two of the sweetest, kindest people I've ever met in my life. I was with them a lot when I worked at a snooty hotel in San Francisco and I was assigned to be their bitch. They never let me work and insisted I join them in meals and when they went out. It was a pretty good gig to be paid to hang out with them.  And Ice is hilarious.  

• Love 9

He was sitting by himself, and I went over and told him how much I loved Beavis & Butt-Head, and that I'm more of a fan than I ever want to admit in public.  I think it really did surprise him that somebody knew who he was, and he said thanks and asked if I wanted to sit down, but I said I was with a friend, and wished him luck with King of the Hill.

I miss King of the Hill. I catch a rerun now and then. How cool to have met the man behind the show.

I love Ice-T and Coco, too. I am real happy to read they are so cool and nice.

One of the people I have always wanted to meet, but never did, was Larry Hagman. He lived up in the hills in Ojai. It is a community here in our county. I had thoughts of going up to the hills and just take a chance that he might be out in Ojai, running errands in town or something. I regret not doing so. RIP Larry.

Lucille Ball is another celeb I would have loved to have met. Obviously. LOL  I have gone by her home in Beverly Hills. I had my husband take photos of me in front of the house.

Edited by SPLAIN
  • Love 5

I grew up in Silicon Valley so most of my celebrity encounters are well known tech moguls (not sure if that counts). Steve Jobs used to come by a grocery store I worked in during college, he had a weekend house nearby. He has a bad reputation to this day but he was nice to me. Usually recognized me and chatted with me about my classes.  Larry Page and my dad have the same personal trainer,  they're not friends or anything, but apparently warn each other when the trainer is in a bad mood. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I'm loving these encounter stories.

When I was in the Navy, one of the ships I served on would get celebrities and VIP guests all the time (newer, state of the art ship with a CO and XO who loved the cameras). This was in 2003 at the start of the Iraq war so it looked good to pose with servicemembers. Most of them were country music stars that I ever heard of so I'd let others go to the meet and greets because they were fans. They always wanted their pictures taken while serving us in the galley. It was usually a clusterfuck. I only have X amount of time to eat in the galley and get back to my workspace so my relief can go eat.  They weren't quick enough or would giggle or ask odd questions.  I'm a female sailor and there weren't many on my ship at the time, so female celebrities would ask dumb questions, like can I wear makeup - yes, I can but I worked in the engineroom so it melts off in minutes.  Or they'd ask if we had boyfriends on the ship and if we were able to spend time together "wink wink".  Oh jeez.  Also, these celebrities would sometimes bring boxes of their perfume or whatever cosmetic they were selling.  I was enlisted, so we don't have staterooms like the female officers.  I had a coffin bunk and a small locker for my personal property.  I have no space for these products.  No one wanted them.  They'd sit in a common area until some booter was told to throw them away or burn them.

But the best story comes from when I was stationed for shore duty on Guam.  Mariah Carey had an obsession with the island at the time.  This was right before 9/11/01 (maybe early 2000?) so the small base that I worked on (communications site) was partially open to the public because there's a lovely beach (after vehicle search and obtaining guest pass, one could be escorted to the beach). Now, the island of Guam is without birds because of the invasive Brown Tree Snake (BTW, I lived there for almost 4 years and never saw a snake. There are no birds because of the military comtelsta. HAARP shit.). Well, Mariah wanted to reintroduce birds to Guam and I think she spent a good deal of her own money on this pursuit.  The local press loved to cover Mariah's visits. The TV channels would break into broadcasts to announce that she was on the island. She popped up on my base one day, which is a smaller station far north of the main base in order to visit the secluded but beautiful beach and release birds. We usually didn't get VIPs at our site because we co-worked with contractors (pictures wouldn't show many in uniform so why bother plus this was right before 9/11 so no one cared about the military). At the time there were maybe 50-65 sailors at my site. Most were young and single.  Some had their families living on the base with them. Two dozen contractors and maybe 20 locals and spouses working in the store, gym, gas station. Everyone knew everyone. Very small installation that I think is gone now as they're constructing a super mega base on Guam or completely contracted out.  It was all very impromptu and disorganized - but she put on a small little concert and party (pig roast, kegs, the works).  We unofficially shut down operations, closed the gate and drank the day away.   She brought tons of gifts too. We each got a minidisc player with her new album Rainbow.  Minidiscs were the hot new tech item at that time so we were all excited.  She changed her outfit at least 5 times in 7 hours.  One of her people ran to the small NEXer (base store) and purchased her a uniform (at that time were were still in the classic denim bellbottom dungarees). She looked so adorable (but later on there was a bullshit "investigation" as to who purchased or gave the items to Mariah because it violates policy.  Some were punished for leaving their watch stations too). This was before cellphone cameras so there aren't many pictures.  She didn't do this for promotion and there weren't any pictures released by her people either. The day was just something she wanted to do (or manic episode). Regardless, it was such a wonderful, strange experience. One of the highlights of my military career. After she left, the party continued and we drank all night. Mariah took two guys I worked with back to her hotel.  One was dating my old roommate Sharnya at the time and they broke up the moment Mariah invited him over.  Both guys said they slept with her (not at the same time) but no one believed it.  As for me, I hooked up with another sailor who later became my first husband/my daughter's father (we parted on good terms, no bad blood).  If Mariah didn't visit us and get us all drunk, I don't think we would have ever dated. Strange how a life's course can change so much in a day (or because of intoxication).

I had such fun times in the Navy before 9/11. It was like the PeaceCorps.  We did a lot of volunteer work all around Micronesia, such as build schools and disaster relief during typhoons.  I felt like I was spreading freedom and democracy. Then, 9/11 happened and it was like "oh shit, we are at war now" and I didn't feel good about what I was doing. I was working on equipment that killed people.  I didn't want to stay in the Navy anymore. I didn't want my husband to stay either. I decided not to re-enlist after 8 years (2005), which most people consider crazy because I made rank quick and my career would be easy for the next 12 years (can retire at 20 years). He wanted a military career (retires soon with 24 years of service).  We divorced by 2007. I just couldn't be with someone that didn't share my values and I didn't like being a Navy wife.  Now, I'm a psychotherapist at the VA and have pretty sweet life.  Things work out differently than planned in life. 

Oh, Mariah was sweet and lovely but kept telling us how sad she was -- she was without her dogs.  She only appeared happy when she was singing or handing us gifts and watching us open them. Her dogs had to stay on the plane because Guam is a rabies-free island and pets from the US have to be quarantined for 6 months before being reunited with their owners.  Most servicemenbers can't afford to board their pet for 6 months so you don't see many cute dogs on Guam.  The CO or the XO said that they'd arrange it and she can have her dogs but she declined.  She spoke much on invasive species and the delicate ecosystems of islands.  She seemed very educated on the topic.  Unlike entitled asshats like Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.

She released birds that day and we never saw them again.

I'm rambling. Sorry. Pills. Or as Leah Messer says, pillses. Recovering from surgery well. Thank you for the kind words and messages. I didn't realize that so many enjoyed my posts on PTV. 

Thank you for serving our country, CofCinci. And I'm glad to hear that about Mariah. Even if she was on a manic episode, it's good to know she can be nice and considerate. 

• Love 3

@CofCinci I salute you for your service. Thank you. Great story about Mariah. Sad to read about your first marriage. It reads as though it was something you had to do. How long was it before you chose the path in the psychotherapy field?

The part where you mentioned Mariah released birds and you never saw them again, do you mean those snakes got to them?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, evilmindatwork said:

I grew up in Silicon Valley so most of my celebrity encounters are well known tech moguls (not sure if that counts). Steve Jobs used to come by a grocery store I worked in during college, he had a weekend house nearby. He has a bad reputation to this day but he was nice to me. Usually recognized me and chatted with me about my classes.  Larry Page and my dad have the same personal trainer,  they're not friends or anything, but apparently warn each other when the trainer is in a bad mood. 

That's where I grew up!  Where'd you go to high school?  I went to Gunn.

• Love 1

Wow, so many Californians on this forum.

I have a question for those specifically in the SoCal and San Francisco areas- were you born there (or moved there as a child with your parents), or did you migrate there as an adult?

I always wanted to move to California after college, but it didn't work out. Now that I have kids, I imagine I'll stay in the Midwest at least until they graduate. I'd like to live near the ocean someday.

@lezlers, I went to Mountain View! We were basically neighbors? Are you still in the area? 

@Tatum I was born and raised (mostly) in California, am a  UC graduate, my family is still there, but I live in Chicago now. I see myself going back home within the next few years but need to figure out a way to make it work financially (I do fine but would struggle a bit there, I think). The Bay Area especially seems to get more expensive every year. I don't want to move back with my folks but also don't want to live with a million roommates. I am not sure about the cost of living in SoCal but I assume it's a little better (it certainly can't be worse). I would definitely recommend a move to Ca, I think it's the one of the most beautiful places on Earth but I am biased :). 

3 hours ago, Tatum said:

Wow, so many Californians on this forum.

I have a question for those specifically in the SoCal and San Francisco areas- were you born there (or moved there as a child with your parents), or did you migrate there as an adult?

I always wanted to move to California after college, but it didn't work out. Now that I have kids, I imagine I'll stay in the Midwest at least until they graduate. I'd like to live near the ocean someday.

I was born in San Jose, so the south bay area.  We moved to Palo Alto when I was in seventh grade, then I moved to San Francisco for college.  I eventually migrated further north for law school.  In my opinion (biased, I know) you can't beat northern California.  We're 45 minutes from the ocean (not really swimming ocean though, the water is really cold.  Great for surfing tho)  even closer to gorgeous redwood forests and if the desert is your thing, you can find that if you're willing to drive a couple of hours.   It's really the best of everything. 

2 hours ago, evilmindatwork said:

@lezlers, I went to Mountain View! We were basically neighbors? Are you still in the area? 

@Tatum I was born and raised (mostly) in California, am a  UC graduate, my family is still there, but I live in Chicago now. I see myself going back home within the next few years but need to figure out a way to make it work financially (I do fine but would struggle a bit there, I think). The Bay Area especially seems to get more expensive every year. I don't want to move back with my folks but also don't want to live with a million roommates. I am not sure about the cost of living in SoCal but I assume it's a little better (it certainly can't be worse). I would definitely recommend a move to Ca, I think it's the one of the most beautiful places on Earth but I am biased :). 

Basically!  My best friend in high school lived in Mountain View (although she just moved to Texas about 3 days ago because she's CLEARLY lost her goddamn mind.)   We basically spent our weekends at the shopping center on San Antonio road.  We'd hit Burger King, then walk to Tower Records (remember when they actually had record stores?  I'm aging myself here) and all the other stores there.  I haven't been in that area in years, I don't know if that whole area is still there.

Also, might I suggest Sonoma County?  It's about 45 minutes north of San Francisco and the cost of living is exponentially cheaper.  Bonus?  It's fucking GORGEOUS.  Cost of living in Southern California is actually higher than Northern California, for the most part.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 2

HOLY CRAP I had a huge post written and half of it disappeared!!! NOOoOooOooooOoooo! **Falls flat on ground like Catelynn**

Well, here is part. :-(

Before I begin, thanks to all who are sharing your stories and comments! I love reading them!

You guys will love this one. That boyfriend (we will call him Rumpelstiltskin because he's short. He doesn't deserve to have his name written) who was friends with David Coburn also knew Hank Azaria, who was dating Helen Hunt at the time. We went to a wedding in 1996 and he introduced me to Hank and Helen. Helen was a cold dead fish and Hank was friendly. Her handshake was cold and floppy and she gave me an icy look. Her demeanor was really off-putting, and I sensed it wasn't a one time thing. Later, one of my friends who used to work in TV in L.A. and New York told me that when he was on the set of "Mad About You" they all had a nickname for Helen. "The Knee". Why? Because a knee is lower than a c***. I cannot tell you how many times I have used that term and how much I love it.

On the set of "Gremlins" (I worked in the effects shop building creatures but did not get to travel to the set. I was only 16 anyway) my friends said that Phoebe Cates was a huge baby, not wanting to be in the same room with the gremlins and getting scared of everything. But boy, did I think she was beautiful. If only I could emerge from a swimming pool looking like Phoebe! I was told that Zach Galligan was a putz and really no one I knew enjoyed working with those two that much.

@StatisticalOutlier As I mentioned, I have no desire to go up to celebrities either but I had to make an exception for Kim Wayans! Speaking of Mike Judge, I have always been a "King of the Hill" fan (best quote is by Bobby: "My dad says butane is a bastard gas!") I met Kathy Najimy at a party that Rumpelstiltskin took me to. She was very sweet and we chatted a bit, but I didn't make any reference to  "who she was". I was just one woman meeting another woman at a party. They are just people with very public jobs. When someone really makes a difference to me, like Kim, I may let them know it but I would never say "OMG you're so-and-so! Can I have your autograph??" Although I wouldn't have minded if Patrick Swayze had signed my ENTIRE body with a Sharpie. Norman Reedus could do that, too.

Oingo Boingo is one of my ALL TIME favorite bands and has been since high school, and Danny Elfman has always been a genius god to me. And the only red-haired guy I really had it bad for. An old boyfriend R.I.P. (I must sound like a slut, don't I? I really wasn't!! I swear.) was a sound mixer for movies, and Danny would come in to the studio from time to time. Everyone hated when he came in because he was a major asshole and so difficult to work with. I was crushed to hear that, but I like to think that someone that talented and creative has to be nuts and rather impossible. But still, how you treat people is so important. I'm looking at you, Farrah!

What is the lesson of the day? DON'T BE A KNEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Edited by AhFillAck
  • Love 6

Rumpelstiltskin was also friends with Jennifer Aniston back in New York before she was famous, and liked her a lot. He would still see her from time to time when we were living in L.A. and said she was a very kind, real person. Even though I don't like her cutesy on-screen persona and all the mugging and trying too hard to be sexy (well now, I just described most female celebrities) I've always felt that she seems like a nice person. I would have gotten to meet her one time when Rumpel went to the Farmer's Market to get me a pie because he ran into her there. He said she thought it was very sweet he was buying his girlfriend a pie. (He did have his moments. )

Lou Gossett Jr. came into the effects shop where I was working to get face and full body molds made. He was a friendly, quiet man and had a big warm smile. His only offense was eating too much on set and repeatedly splitting the seams of his alien costume. New ones would have to be sent over and it would slow down production.

@lezlers I am in San Jose now, and we pay 3.5 times in rent as we do on the mortgage we have on our house in Sonora (which we rent out). It's utterly ridiculous. I love it here though, and the kids have great school, husband has an excellent job where he keeps moving up, etc. @evilmindatwork I agree with you, California is one of the most beautiful places. I grew up in Mill Valley, in Marin County. In my 20s I moved to New Jersey, then to L.A. (loved it) then up to Washington State (too cold and rural) then back to CA to Sonora. We have now been in San Jose 6 years and I have vowed to never leave again. Speaking of Larry Page (which I have never done!), my friend went to his house just last week to install some wireless stuff. Larry apparently owns all of the houses on his cul-de-sac.

Edited by AhFillAck
Because I'm dumb.
  • Love 4

Part of me is dying to get back to L.A. to live, but I don't want to be that far from my mom and the kids would not want to leave their friends, etc. We have established a nice life for ourselves here, but L.A. still calls to me and I would love to get back into special effects somehow.  I would want to live in the valley this time, preferably Studio City or Toluca Lake. Just for fun I look at houses on Redfin, and then groan loudly when I see that it's not that much cheaper than Silicon Valley.

@lezlers I have loved Sonoma and Sonoma County my whole life!! When I visit Mom in Mill Valley we still go to downtown Sonoma every once in a while to stock up on garlic jack cheese at Vella Cheese Company, and we have lunch at the Sonoma Cheese Factory. Can you tell we like cheese?? There was a great vintage donut shop called L&N Donuts many years ago. Everything seems to revolve around food for me! . We also used to go to Petaluma when I was kid, and visit Joe's A-1 Bakery where they had the best cookies ever. It is just so beautiful up there. I was in Santa Rosa a few months ago helping Mom buy shoes.

• Love 1

@lezlers, I am loving this trip down memory lane! It turned into Rasputin Music and was still there last time I went (a couple of years ago)! It may have closed now though.  This exchange is making me homesick :(. I am taking the California Bar in February though, so hopefully I'll be back real soon. I followed my now ex-husband (from Pacifica lol) here and ended up staying for law school etc. Sonoma County is an excellent suggestion, I just love the South Bay because of it's diversity though (sigh). Obviously, I love the city but the rents there are out of my current range. Are you still working as a lawyer? I am going to need to pick your brain about the market at some point! 

@AhFillAck,  SUCH a small world! I envy your location, my whole family is spread out living in San Mateo-Mountain View-Los Altos  now so I really want to move to Santa Cruz/ San Jose/ Los Gatos (basically close enough to visit, far enough to need to call). I wish I was more tech inclined, since those are basically the only jobs in the Bay,  but that was never in my repertoire, ironic I know. I've promised myself this is my last midwestern winter so hopefully my move will work out. 

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

Basically!  My best friend in high school lived in Mountain View (although she just moved to Texas about 3 days ago because she's CLEARLY lost her goddamn mind.)   We basically spent our weekends at the shopping center on San Antonio road.  We'd hit Burger King, then walk to Tower Records (remember when they actually had record stores?  I'm aging myself here) and all the other stores there.  I haven't been in that area in years, I don't know if that whole area is still there.

My husband is from Texas, and as mean as this sounds, I hate going there when we visit his relatives. It's a tiny rural redneck town, not even someplace interesting like Austin. He knows a way to really rile me up is to suggest moving there, which he often does when we lament housing prices here. "We could get a twelve bedroom house on four hundred acres for $3.48!" then I remind him "Yes, but we would be in TEX-ASS!!!" These days I just say "Go ahead and move. The kids and I will miss you!" No offense to any rural Texans here. I just personally can't handle it there. I do understand he has great childhood memories and I know his grandma would love for us to come and take over the farm one day, but... NOPE.

@evilmindatwork I hope you can find a way to move back here. We have a plastic playhouse in the backyard we could rent out to you if you like! LMAO. We are right on the Los Gatos border. It's interesting to speculate what will happen with the housing prices. It seems like the bubble has to burst again at some point. I never knew how much I would love living in this area. As a kid my family and I would come down every so often and go to the Winchester Mystery House and eat at Bob's Big Boy. They are about to tear down the retro restaurant which became a Flames Coffee Shop after it was  Bob's, and I am heartbroken.

Edited by AhFillAck
  • Love 1

OK, Californians, I'm a financial analyst, and I don't get something. Help me out here.

I understand the concept of higher cost of living areas mean higher salaries (generally) but there seems to be a huge disparity between the higher cost of living between my state and CA (in LA and San Fransisco anyways)- like around 300-400%, vs what I could expect to make out there- maybe about 20-25% more than what I make now. So, if I am only making 25% more, but my house payment is three times what I pay now- how does that work?

Yet I make more now than the median income in LA County or San Francisco county (this is not a humblebrag, I'm trying to make a point), but even with a 25% bump, I could not afford to live out there. So, how do people do it? For example, I read that the median house sales  price in San Francisco right now is $1.2 million. So, I somehow scrape $240,000 together for a down payment (how I don't know, that's a question for another time) and have a $960,000 mortgage. My house payment is $4,600, and that doesn't include property taxes. Throw another $700-800 on that, and now I have to pay $5,400 monthly, or $64,800 annually, just to live in a house- not including utilities, cable, internet, etc. If I am taxed right now at around 30%, that means I have to make $92,571 before taxes, with literally every penny going towards my house, and no deductions for health insurance and retirement and other stuff, so really, over $100K just to be able to pay my lender each month.

How, how, how, do people who make under $200K a year survive? And in San Fran, even $200K might be pushing it based on what I've read.

• Love 1

@Tatum, I can only speak for the SF Bay Area because I've never lived in Southern California but tech salaries are extremely high. The rest of us are s.o.l. My parents own their own business (to be fair, they bought before the South Bay blew up like it has) but my siblings all work in science/ tech. My youngest siblings, 24 years old, makes an extremely good living,  but lives in my parent's house because he doesn't want to deal with rent.  Most of my friends still living in the area work in tech. The crunchy granola ones, working as yoga teachers usually, live in housing co-ops or with 7 other roommates. I had a friend live in a yurt on a farm in exchange for work lol. People rent a lot. A married couple I grew up with, living in SF still share a house with another couple as roommates. My cousin, his wife, and two babies still live in a one bedroom house in SF because it's rent controlled-- I think they're just cheap though, both of them make a lot of money. Very few friends my age there, I am 28, own their houses, unless they work for the trifecta of Apple/Google/Facebook, I guess now you can include Uber.

I think doctors and some lawyers can also make $$$$ but most of the people I know thriving there are tech people in one form or another. So, in short, it's hard, very few people own. The SF Bay Area is great though, if you can make it happen, I definitely recommend. 

Edited by evilmindatwork
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, evilmindatwork said:

I think doctors and some lawyers can also make $$$$ but most of the people I know thriving there are tech people in one form or another. So, in short, it's hard, very few people own. The SF Bay Area is great though, if you can make it happen, I definitely recommend. 

I wish. As I stated, by my calculations I'd have to make $200K (household) just to basically pay bills each month, no extras. And while that's not out of realm of possibility while my husband and I are at our earning prime, he'd much rather make 20-25% less and have out of pocket expenses at 1/3 of what they would be. Me, I would take the disposable income loss for the location. So maybe when the kids are gone. I'll be 50 when my son graduates (knock on wood), and probably have about 15 years left in the workforce. Just, like, 17 years to go.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I wish. As I stated, by my calculations I'd have to make $200K (household) just to basically pay bills each month, no extras. And while that's not out of realm of possibility while my husband and I are at our earning prime, he'd much rather make 20-25% less and have out of pocket expenses at 1/3 of what they would be. Me, I would take the disposable income loss for the location. So maybe when the kids are gone. I'll be 50 when my son graduates (knock on wood), and probably have about 15 years left in the workforce. Just, like, 17 years to go.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but friends of mine were in the mortgage lending industry in the Bay Area, and before the bubble burst, they were writing 60 and 90 year mortgages to people to make the payment more affordable.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DudeLeaveMeAlone said:

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but friends of mine were in the mortgage lending industry in the Bay Area, and before the bubble burst, they were writing 60 and 90 year mortgages to people to make the payment more affordable.

Wow, that is insane. A 90 year mortgage? You're basically renting it then. Unless you bought right before a massive jump in property values, you'd have to live there 30+ years just to break even on real estate fees (although I suppose properties would naturally increase in value during that time).

For what you'd pay in one year in interest, I could live in Minneapolis, and fly out first class to CA and stay in a 5 star hotel- every weekend- for that year.

My hat's off to you west coast folks.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2016 at 5:24 PM, lezlers said:

Me too. No shame! Ha. I was so damn shy growing up as a child. As an adult, I feel I have to make up for it. Approaching celebs or famous people does scare me a bit, but I do my best when approaching them and I am never rude to them. "Have no regrets in life" is a motto that I try to live by. I am not one to get in a person's face or to make a scene. As I mentioned in my Priscilla Presley post, I smiled and waved. I did see other people try to mob her after our flight arrived. I was comfortable with my simple wave to her and receiving a wave back. If I had my phone in my hand, I would have taken a quick picture of her, not gonna lie. :-)

Yes, I did notice a lot of Californians here on the board. I am a So California native. Ventura County is my area. A short drive to Malibu and the Pacific Coast Highway, is one of the best things about our area. I was born here and I have no plans to ever leave. I have the Pacific Ocean at my doorstep. Here in my city, we have 75 degree weather about 90 percent of the time (that's why we are in a drought!), not to mention I have my family here as my reasons for not wanting to leave. We have easy access to the mountains and Los Angeles and the surrounding area. We can go to the snow and the beach in the same day.

I love San Francisco!! I have been there several times and yet, I still haven't seen it all.

I so enjoy the drive up to San Francisco and the whole Northern Californian area. Highway 1 is so beautiful and remarkable.

@Tatum It really is outrageous the cost of homes and living here. Some people who are paying off a home may have boarders. They rent out rooms. Other people buy two homes and rent out one. Some of the homes here are much too high in price. When I watch shows on the HGTV channel such as House Hunters or the other property shows, I am so amazed at the cost of a large home such as in Alabama. It is cheap! I watched an episode where this large 5 bedroom home in Georgia sold for $200k. A home here with five bedrooms would sell for $450k (give or take depending on the area and other factors). One of my siblings lives in our family home. My dad paid $35k for that three bedroom home in 1966. The home is now worth $375K and it is less than 5 minutes away from the beach. I don't know much about the whole real estate market. Just giving some information that I do know.

12 minutes ago, GreatKazu said:

I was born here and I have no plans to ever leave. I have the Pacific Ocean at my doorstep. Here in my city, we have 75 degree weather about 90 percent of the time (that's why we are in a drought!), not to mention I have my family here as my reasons for not wanting to leave. We have easy access to the mountains and Los Angeles and the surrounding area. We can go to the snow and the beach in the same day.

Never leave. Lol. I regret it so much and it's really hard to come back and find a niche after moving. 

• Love 1