Type keyword(s) to search

Something Unexpected: Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, keetmommy said:

James is gone in a heart beat (he is the African American boy correct? if not that is who I think will be gone, he shows no interest in the baby at all.

The baby isn't here yet? How can we say? I thought he looked very involved with his younger sister. His mom has 7 kids and he's one of the older ones (I THINK - even SHE didn't seem sure). So he may be a lot better equipped to handle a baby than the other two. 

That being said, I won't be surprised when ANY of the dads bail. 

• Love 1

Holy moly, where to start?

Shannon is in this for the money, right? Or to be on TV, and tell her side of the story? She is a decidedly unpleasant person. I especially loved how she huffed and puffed about how she was past all this high school drama and then calls up Shelly and starts right in with vintage high school drama, complete with going from zero to sixty in seconds, yelling, interrupting, and hanging up in a huff.

And apropos of nothing, her eyebrows were fascinating. They looked like they were trying to sneak right off her face.

What is it with inducing labor days before the due date? I can see inducing if there's a complication like elevated blood pressure or if its two weeks past the due date. But why induce labor in a healthy young woman who's due a week later?

The day Shaeden snapped at me in my home would be the last he slept under my roof. What a precious little asshole. My guess is he will be the first of the boys to bail. He and Lexus (omg that name) were "dating off and on". So, available for hookups, I guess?

Lexus looks like a young Leah Remini. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 20
On 11/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, ghoulina said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be having baby showers or prom or ANY of that for these girls. If we keep acting like Teen Pregnancy ain't no big deal, "you can just carry on with life as usual", more kids are going to succumb to it. Make it HARD. Make it a sacrifice. Make them lose all that teenage shit. Do SOMETHING to deter the other kids from doing the same thing. Good God. 

I was talking to my friend about this show yesterday and how different things are than they were when we were teens in the 70's. She had a baby at 15 and gave it up for adoption.  Her parents sent her away to a home for unwed mothers run by nuns and didn't even visit her for the duration of her pregnancy. When I was in high school, pregnant girls weren't allowed to continue going to school after they started to show. The school district offered classes for them at the local community college in the evenings.  I told her  if I was the mother of a pregnant teenager, I would do everything in my power to make it as hard as possible. I'd buy some industrial strength ear plugs and put a deadbolt on my bedroom door. Baby crying during the night? Deal with it. Grandma needs to sleep so she can get up and go to work to support your ass. You want to go out with your friends? The baby goes with you or you find a babysitter. Grandma will babysit for a few hours on the weekend if she hasn't made plans. No way in hell would I be financing prom or planning and financing an elaborate, Pinterest inspired baby shower. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, lovesnark said:

I told her  if I was the mother of a pregnant teenager, I would do everything in my power to make it as hard as possible. I'd buy some industrial strength ear plugs and put a deadbolt on my bedroom door. Baby crying during the night? Deal with it. Grandma needs to sleep so she can get up and go to work to support your ass. You want to go out with your friends? The baby goes with you or you find a babysitter. Grandma will babysit for a few hours on the weekend if she hasn't made plans. No way in hell would I be financing prom or planning and financing an elaborate, Pinterest inspired baby shower. 

True that.  I graduated HS in 1983 and no way no how was a pregnant girl coming to school (showing her pregnancy, of course) she would be on homebound services.  My life changed when I birthed, so why do teens think they will not have to change?  

Per the boys - I will surprised if any of them stay.  

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

The baby isn't here yet? How can we say? I thought he looked very involved with his younger sister.

Per James - we don't know if he will be involved however there is a BIG difference in being an involved older brother and realizing you have to get a job and support your baby.  Any money from his job will go for diapers, formula, food, etc.  Not Playstation.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:57 AM, gonecrackers said:

Also, am I the only one who side eyes a baby shower for a teen mom?

No, I would not attend, I would not support I would probably not be invited so hey.....problem solved!!!  LOL!

Not to be too off topic but it could apply here:  Chelsea Handler was very public that when she was sixteen she got pregnant and was all "I am going to be a teen mom!!  Whoo hoo!!!"  Her parents were like:  "You are our last child, we are done.  You can terminate or place the baby for adoption.  We will support you in either decision but your plan of being a part time mom while we raise your baby.....no."  Maybe some of these 31 yr old gramma's could buy a clue.  Per the gramma's Glamma Party:  No, I think I have some errands to do rather than indirectly celebrate you failing to discuss health and birth control with your child.  

• Love 9

Shannon is a manipulative shrew. She wants attention, she wants stuff, and she wants to be the injured party. Her 15 year old daughter, who loves her, and who loves her grandparents, and her boyfriend's buttinsky mother, does not deserve to be used as a pawn in her irresponsible mother's drama. My blood was boiling.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

I cannot with Shannon. She says that she was so upset by her husband's death that she started taking drugs. Then she "let ker kids stay with their grandparents". Um, excuse me, this wasn't a PJ party where the grandkids stayed a weekend, the grandparents RAISED her children. So irritating when she doesn't give her parents credit for stepping up to do her job. I'm sure she is only there for the money. And she knows that given the TV cameras teh shower will likely be well attended, so I'm guessing it was Shannon's idea to have a "cojoined " shower. That way she can get paid and get gifts. It's your 4th damn kid. People don't throw baby showers for baby #4. She just wants stuff. And what are guests supposed to do? If they are friends with McKayla's mom or bf, are they obligated to bring a gift for a woman they don't know? Talk about awkward! 

This. She acts like her kids went to grandma and grandpa's for a long weekend. I was 33 when I had my second and last child and my friends threw a surprise baby shower for me. I was sort of embarrassed  and felt weird about getting gifts. But, it was a very sweet thing for them to do and I know it was from the heart, not a sense of obligation. 

• Love 13

All the people on these shows seem to feel that they are owed all these parties. Showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, engagement parties, splashy weddings, gender reveal parties. That and photo shoots. If I had a nickel for every time one of these brats was going on a "photo shoot", well, I'd have a lot of nickels. When they're not having parties they're getting pedicures.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

If I had a nickel for every time one of these brats was going on a "photo shoot", well, I'd have a lot of nickels. When they're not having parties they're getting pedicures.

The photo shoot (used in a promo) of one of the 15 yr old in HER UNDERWEAR?  My dad......just no.  Hells to the no.  (Of course the thought of me, 15 and pregnant is....laughable.) 

Lots and LOTS of entitlement going on here!!

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

All the people on these shows seem to feel that they are owed all these parties. Showers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, engagement parties, splashy weddings, gender reveal parties. That and photo shoots. If I had a nickel for every time one of these brats was going on a "photo shoot", well, I'd have a lot of nickels. When they're not having parties they're getting pedicures.

I've had a bit of a hard time with this since our daughter was in high school (she's 32). You don't just ask someone to go to a dance, it has to be this huge production, sometimes involving a scavenger hunt, dozens of roses and a limousine. You don't just tell people you're pregnant, you have a photo/video shoot and make it an announcement. Engagements sometimes involve having a photographer/videographer hiding somewhere to capture it so it can be another announcement. I worked with a not very bright girl who went into labor before she could have her "pregnancy shoot" and she was more upset about missing the photo shoot than she was about her baby being born a month early. I'm not kidding.

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

You don't just ask someone to go to a dance, it has to be this huge production, sometimes involving a scavenger hunt, dozens of roses and a limousine. You don't just tell people you're pregnant, you have a photo/video shoot and make it an announcement. Engagements sometimes involve having a photographer/videographer hiding somewhere to capture it so it can be another announcement. I worked with a not very bright girl who went into labor before she could have her "pregnancy shoot" and she was more upset about missing the photo shoot than she was about her baby being born a month early. I'm not kidding.

It's driven by social media. If there was no medium, like facebook, instagram, etc to post that crap, I wonder if it would be as popular

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

It's driven by social media. If there was no medium, like facebook, instagram, etc to post that crap, I wonder if it would be as popular

27 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

You don't just ask someone to go to a dance, it has to be this huge production, sometimes involving a scavenger hunt, dozens of roses and a limousine. You don't just tell people you're pregnant, you have a photo/video shoot and make it an announcement.

No kidding.  High school prom?  He asked me over dinner.  (It was 1983.)  Marriage?  1994 - asked me while sitting on a couch.  2015 - again, sitting on a couch. (different guy, btw)  But I am kinda private about things, never wanted to announce EVERY! LITTLE! THING! going on in my life.  

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

No kidding.  High school prom?  He asked me over dinner.  (It was 1983.)  Marriage?  1994 - asked me while sitting on a couch.  2015 - again, sitting on a couch. (different guy, btw)  But I am kinda private about things, never wanted to announce EVERY! LITTLE! THING! going on in my life.  

I'm private also and would rather chew on some broken glass than have my life on social media. This having everything public is a double edged sword for these kids. They get all the adulation but, they also get all the negative feedback. The girls and their families on this show will soon find out (if they haven't already) that putting your fucked up life on TV for the world to see will bring a ton of negativity along with the check from TLC. Hell, we're here snarking on them-LOL!

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Real4real said:
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I blame this on the Kardashian factor.

• Love 7
On 11/16/2017 at 10:36 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Hee! He's 23 now, he is certainly a great young man and was a great kid from jump. He's always been risk averse so he takes safety of all kinds seriously. (He went to culinary school and works as a cook, he doesn't even have a lot of burns on his forearms that all cooks seem to have!) And he has never gotten anyone pregnant, thank all the gods in the pantheon. He doesn't even want a serious girlfriend--"really, I thought I envied all my friends who were in relationships. But then I realized I don't want a serious relationship! I just want to have fun and hang out with my friends". He has a big crew, guys and girls, who all think he's the cat's pajamas so his dance card is full at all times.

Sorry. He's so great I can't help bragging about him. Carry on!

Mine wasn't risk averse, I wish he was, lol. Third son is also a chef, but after graduating from culinary school, during his first three months of cooking at a convalescent hospital, he had a large burn on his forearm from the oven, as well as chopping off the tip of one of his fingers. The head chef told him just to wrap it in duct tape and continue on, which he did! He also became an unwed father at age 26. 

Sounds like you have done right by your son, Pepper Mostly! Good on you!

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, peaceknit said:

The Kardashian factor

yes yes and more yes.

39 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

I'm private also and would rather chew on some broken glass than have my life on social media. This having everything public is a double edged sword for these kids. They get all the adulation but, they also get all the negative feedback. The girls and their families on this show will soon find out (if they haven't already) that putting your fucked up life on TV for the world to see will bring a ton of negativity along with the check from TLC. Hell, we're here snarking on them-LOL!

When I got married last October it did not occur to me until the day before:  "Hey I better address people wanting to splash MY news all over their social media.  It is OUR news to share."  

41 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

They get all the adulation but, they also get all the negative feedback.

Exactly.  But I can hear their responses to the negative feedback:  "They are all haters!!  They are just jealous!"  No.....we are not.  Trust us.

• Love 8

We'll have to wait and see. If TLC rewards them with 6 figure paychecks for horrible behavior, drug use, neglecting their children and cranking out more kids by a few different guys, then they'd have a chance of replacing MTV's version.

• Love 8

One minor beef I have with this show:  The title!!  "Unexpected" - really?  You bone without birth control....it can't be that unexpected.  Maybe I can start a show called "Collided" - I keep running red lights then act shocked that I get into an accident!   (Not advocating that, btw)

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

Lexus' bf shouldn't be living with them at all, especially with his crappy attitude. His anger will be 'fun' with a baby around the house & raising a child... she'd probably be better off if that one just walked.

James with his 'tude as well; holy crap. Another bf who can move on.

Sad to say most of them are better off w/o that kind of 'father' figure in their kids' lives.

Maybe it's just me but with all her rambling on & on about how much she knows how hard it will be for Lexus - she's been there - blah blah blah - her mother seems like she tries to be her friend more than a mom.

Caelen is it? - Makayla's bf - seems like the more responsible of the group. Makayla was apparently the one breaking up with him & he did seem hurt when he spoke about her losing his engagement ring.

The baby shower is just a big no. And Makayla says her mom shouldn't have one because she's having her 4th - well, yeah, but neither should an immature pregnant 16 year old. I know her mom is messed up but she seems pampered nonetheless - Grandpa is 'proud'... a 'bit disappointed', but still 'proud'.

Yeah, okay.

• Love 8

James will be the 1st to go, followed very closely by Shaedon. In fact, I would not be surprised if James went to pull the car around for Baby's drive home from the hospital, and he just never showed up. He and Shaedon are such punks, ugh, I just wanna slap them both.

Did Shaedon's mom seem half in the bag to anyone else ? 

These girls are in for such a ride awakening, when it's 2 am and the baby is crying, everyone is exhausted,  and there is no money and no future. How awful.

Shannon is a bum. And if I were Shelly, I would never agree to a "conjoined" shower with this loser. If she wants a gift grab with McKayla, go right ahead and have your own. Surely McKayla has enough friends to break into 2 showers, one for Shelly/McKayla, and one for Shannon/McKayla 

• Love 6

Shannon ain't shit. I get why Shelly is salty. She's been sober since 2009 and it's now 2017 and she's not even around. She has a high school mentality and she just wants attention and gifts and to take some shine off McKayla. You're on your 4th child and you didn't raise 2 of them. You don't deserve a shower. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, hankthetank said:

Shannon ain't shit. I get why Shelly is salty. She's been sober since 2009 and it's now 2017 and she's not even around. She has a high school mentality and she just wants attention and gifts and to take some shine off McKayla. You're on your 4th child and you didn't raise 2 of them. You don't deserve a shower. 

You're right. Have a co-joined shower with McKayla's grandparents since they'll be the ones raising both babies.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 11

These poor kids have no idea what they are in for.  Fascinated by the three generations of teen mothers.  Wonder what kind of sex education Lexus' mother gave her.  The poor girl who is with the boy who left the birthing class.....it wont be the last thing he walks out on. 

• Love 14

Neither McKayla's mother or McKayla need to be having baby showers. Her grandparents have been raising the grandkids, now they'll have a great grand baby in the home as well. I don't know what papa is so proud of in McKayla, who had been leaving the bf, got preg by him, lost his engagement ring... honestly at this point I feel a bit sorry for the bf, but we'll see how this plays out & what he does. But she seems rather pampered; I think her rough beginning made them feel badly for her, but she does not deserve a shower for a teen pg.

I'm very tired of hearing Lexus' mother drone on about how she knows how hard it will be for Lexus, she's been there, blah blah blah... maybe she should've taken more interest in teaching her daughter something; it seems like she's more of a friend to her than a parent. And now she lets the loser bf, who has anger issues & is taking it out on her daughter, to actually stay in the home. Even not FT that's a bad situation & she's condoning this behavior toward her daughter - & that will most likely extend to the baby as well. Those guys won't change unless they want to get help - & they do get worse. He needs his ass kicked out & to be kept away from them until he gets his shit together.

Sadly most of these girls & their babies are better off without these boys in their lives. Hopefully, they'll all actually grow up someday.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

And now she lets the loser bf, who has anger issues & is taking it out on her daughter, to actually stay in the home.

The day Shayden took off his bathrobe and left it in the middle of the floor at my house would be the day he wished that bathrobe came with lube. He's an unpleasant little prick who needs to be taught his manners. Its never too soon to start working on his personality, especially since his looks are nothing to write home about--maybe he's a big deal in East Muffin or whatever hick town they live in, but step back and take a look at the bigger picture, Sunny Jim. You are not all that.

• Love 21

I'm confused as to why Lexus is being induced. According to what her bf said, she wasn't due yet, so why go early? Was her BP back up? 

I actually think Lexus is the most clueless out of all of them. She's just sitting in the back seat, sucking on her lollipop, all excited like a kid going to Disney. She has NO clue. And she thinks THIS baby will break the cycle? Why? None of you have learned your lesson. 

And then Shayden's mom!!! Homegirl has FIVE kids and FOUR grandkids already!!! I just don't know where they find these people. Is there no BC in their towns? I'm the same age as most of the grandma's and my oldest is only 9 and hates girls! LOL

Shayden does seem to have a bit of an attitude, but he's a teenager, so I don't know if it's normal teenage boy punkassery, or if he has temper problems. I didn't like it, though, when Lexus excused his taking it out on her because "I'm his rock, I'm all he has". I see the most love between those two, out of all the teen couples,  but it's bordering on unhealthy love. 

Lily seems a bit clueless as well. When she was folding all the baby clothes and talking about dressing up her daughter, I just rolled my eyes. You're not getting a doll. It's a living, breathing, crying, pooping baby. 

But at least she's TRYING. She wanted to go to Lamaze classes and learn. James pissed me off with his ambivalence. I get what he's saying about caring for the baby - I have no doubt he's done quite a bit around his house. But he's never been part of a BIRTH. And he's not the one who has to pass the baby out of his body. So he should have just shut up and been supportive of Lily. I do not see them ending well. 

I like Calen the best. He seems like a good kid. I think his desire to be the dad he never had is sincere. 

I also like McKayla a lot. She seems very mature and empathetic for a teenager. She was constantly thinking of how things would impact her mother. I never saw the same from Shannon. 

Look, I'm sorry Shannon lost her husband (boyfriend?) and struggled with addiction. But I think her problems go beyond that. She said she was sober since 2009. McKayla was 16 when filming. That means she got sober when McKayla was around 7. So she only lived with her grandparents for 3 years. Did Shannon never attempt to get the kids back? In all that time? Or at least be more involved? From the way they interact, it doesn't seem like Shannon has been a big part of McKayla's life in the 9 years that she's been sober. 

Both Shelly AND Calen have mentioned that Shannon really didn't start coming around until she got pregnant again. I definitely think she's a user. I think she wants stuff/money/fame/attention etc. from McKayla and the show. She strikes me as super shady. And I really do not think McKayla wanted a joint shower. I wouldn't be giving a teen a baby shower anyhow, but she did have a good point - this is her first and your FOURTH. I think Shannon wanted to blend the two to get presents from all of McKayla's guests. I'm not even kidding. And I think Shelly took the bullet, in nixing the joint shower, to spare McKayla. It's not like Shelly was single-handedly throwing the damn thing. So Shannon's attitude was really out of line. 

I just don't like her grifting ass and I appreciate that someone is trying to shielf McKayla from all that. She seems like such a sweet, thoughtful kid. 

• Love 18
42 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The day Shayden took off his bathrobe and left it in the middle of the floor at my house would be the day he wished that bathrobe came with lube

Bahahaha! Did anyone else think that both the bathrobe and the pajama pants looked like they belonged to Lexus? I swear I saw pink cats or something on those pants. He looked so silly stomping around in that getup. 

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'm confused as to why Lexus is being induced. According to what her bf said, she wasn't due yet, so why go early? Was her BP back up? 

Me too! Why is she being induced? She said she was something like 90% effaced, but that's normal, why didn't her doctor send her home with a word to be prepared to go into labor soon? This seems to be a trend these days, (speaking strictly from the data I've gathered by watching trashy tv shows, that is). The instant there's any activity they're whipping these girls into the hospital for inductions. I always thought of an induction as a last resort, after hours of stalled labor or in cases where the health of the mother or baby could be compromised. Pitocin is hard on a body and seems needlessly invasive.

14 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Shayden does seem to have a bit of an attitude, but he's a teenager,

He can have all the punkass attitude he wants, with his own parents. Lexus' mother is letting him stay at her house with the daughter he knocked up. If he can't be bothered to be polite, he could make a supreme effort and try not to be actively rude. I've seen many teenage boys pass through my door, if any of them displayed a tenth of the attitude that little dink did, well, I'd have something to say about it.

• Love 13

Shayden is driving my daughter and me crazy! Every time she's on screen, he's slumped over laying on top of Lexus like she's his personal pillow...or he's making the Zoolander face into the camera, sucking his cheeks in and posing like a model. We4 just about lost it when he had the nerd glasses on. GTFOOH, Shayden! He needs to get a license and his own transportation here soon. Isn't he 17? With a newborn on the way? And they live in the middle of nowhere East Bumbafuckyerself, Indiana.

hmmmmmm, so I am noticing the homes where these girls and their generationally impoverished families live...and all the homes are nice. I'm not begrudging them nice homes but if the mothers are all saying how hard it was for them as teen moms, saddled w/ babies and shitty P-T jobs and so on, it's not really looking all that bad. And why does TLC do their talking heads in the studio on that cute little love seat? At least w/ Teen Mom we saw that some of the kids had nice big, upper middle class homes, some had modest homes, some lived in trailers, etc.

I actually think it's good that these girls are getting baby showers. They will need stuff for their babies. If the moms are stressed and doing without, it will be harder on the infants.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

Fascinated by the three generations of teen mothers. 

me too!  my gosh, I think the great-grandma, Robin is younger than I am!  (she was a teen mom, Kelsey is 31...people named Kelsey should *not* be grandmothers...)

know what else?  apologies if I'm currently disrespecting the spelling of someone's name.  But did Catelynn's mom from Teen Mom hear the name "Caitlin" and not know how to spell it?  Did McKayla's mom not know how to spell "Michaela"?  They could have just liked it spelled the way they have it, but I always wondered that!

Edited by teapot
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Shayden is driving my daughter and me crazy! Every time she's on screen, he's slumped over laying on top of Lexus like she's his personal pillow...or he's making the Zoolander face into the camera, sucking his cheeks in and posing like a model. We4 just about lost it when he had the nerd glasses on. GTFOOH, Shayden! He needs to get a license and his own transportation here soon. Isn't he 17? With a newborn on the way? And they live in the middle of nowhere East Bumbafuckyerself, Indiana.

hmmmmmm, so I am noticing the homes where these girls and their generationally impoverished families live...and all the homes are nice. I'm not begrudging them nice homes but if the mothers are all saying how hard it was for them as teen moms, saddled w/ babies and shitty P-T jobs and so on, it's not really looking all that bad. And why does TLC do their talking heads in the studio on that cute little love seat? At least w/ Teen Mom we saw that some of the kids had nice big, upper middle class homes, some had modest homes, some lived in trailers, etc.

I actually think it's good that these girls are getting baby showers. They will need stuff for their babies. If the moms are stressed and doing without, it will be harder on the infants.

Who said they're impoverished? Just because someone is a teen parent doesn't mean they're impoverished. I was a teen mom, I had both of my kids before I was old enough to drink and we were never poverty stricken. I learned a trade at a young age and ended up with a great career.  I had my own mobile dog grooming business and did very, very well. 

I know that she's not a favorite around here but I really like Shelley. Nothing she has said is wrong in my opinion. It seems like everyone else would have just done the joint shower to save the awkwardness of saying no, even though it was obvious that Makayla didn't want it. I'm glad Shelley stood up and said hell no.  And speaking of showers, I don't think having a shower for a young mom is a bad thing. The baby will need stuff that the mom can get at a shower. Not having a shower isn't going to change the fact that the teenager is pregnant.  I had a shower for my first and I was only 17, there were a lot of people there and I got a lot of much needed stuff.  Nobody there was appalled or disgusted by the fact that I was a teenager. 

• Love 19
19 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

The baby will need stuff that the mom can get at a shower. Not having a shower isn't going to change the fact that the teenager is pregnant.  I had a shower for my first and I was only 17, there were a lot of people there and I got a lot of much needed stuff.  Nobody there was appalled or disgusted by the fact that I was a teenager. 

I agree that teen moms deserve a shower.  The family & friends can show support (even if there isn't approval), and it's true, I was a 22 year old mom but I didn't have a single thing until my shower!  Every expectant mom deserves a little help!

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

The baby will need stuff that the mom can get at a shower. Not having a shower isn't going to change the fact that the teenager is pregnant.  I had a shower for my first and I was only 17, there were a lot of people there and I got a lot of much needed stuff.  Nobody there was appalled or disgusted by the fact that I was a teenager. 

I was 16 and my whole family gave me a baby shower. I'm sure many of them didn't want to do it (this was back in 1969) but they knew the baby needed things. I'm sure the fact that my family never let a baby be un-celebrated helped them decide to attend.

I'm so glad nobody raked me over the coals..it was hard enough being a teen mom.

I'm sure my very racist German grandma was appalled I was marrying a Puerto Rican guy, though (but she welcomed my daughter with open arms)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Me too! Why is she being induced? She said she was something like 90% effaced, but that's normal, why didn't her doctor send her home with a word to be prepared to go into labor soon? This seems to be a trend these days, (speaking strictly from the data I've gathered by watching trashy tv shows, that is). The instant there's any activity they're whipping these girls into the hospital for inductions. I always thought of an induction as a last resort, after hours of stalled labor or in cases where the health of the mother or baby could be compromised. Pitocin is hard on a body and seems needlessly invasive.

Girl, I hear ya. My sister just got induced and had her baby today! She was 9 days early! Why? The doctor was going out of town for the holiday weekend and IF my sister went into labor during that time (which, would still be early, so doubtful....), she'd miss it. Can you believe that crap? And, yes, I was 90% effaced and 1 cm dilated for FOUR weeks with my first. calm down. 

He can have all the punkass attitude he wants, with his own parents. Lexus' mother is letting him stay at her house with the daughter he knocked up. If he can't be bothered to be polite, he could make a supreme effort and try not to be actively rude. I've seen many teenage boys pass through my door, if any of them displayed a tenth of the attitude that little dink did, well, I'd have something to say about it.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't trying to make excuses. He should absolutely be polite to Lexus's mom. I was more just wondering aloud if his behavior is a symptom of a larger personality problem, or if it was just general teenage punkassery. 

56 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I know that she's not a favorite around here but I really like Shelley. Nothing she has said is wrong in my opinion. It seems like everyone else would have just done the joint shower to save the awkwardness of saying no, even though it was obvious that Makayla didn't want it. I'm glad Shelley stood up and said hell no.  And speaking of showers, I don't think having a shower for a young mom is a bad thing. The baby will need stuff that the mom can get at a shower. Not having a shower isn't going to change the fact that the teenager is pregnant.  I had a shower for my first and I was only 17, there were a lot of people there and I got a lot of much needed stuff.  Nobody there was appalled or disgusted by the fact that I was a teenager. 

I agree about Shelley. I have no issues with her. So far, HER son seems the most polite and reliable. And I agree with her issues about Shannon 100%. I think she took the bullet on telling Shannon "no", so McKayla didn't have to. She seems confident enough to be able to handle it without getting her feelings hurt. 

I'm torn on the teen baby shower thing. I get that the newborn needs stuff. But some of these girls act like they're getting a personal party. I just think if things were a bit harder, it would deter more teenagers from getting into this situation. A quiet gathering would be fine, but some of these people get so over the top. I'll tell you this, I'd give a teen mom a baby shower before a 4 time mom like Shannon! 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 9

Very common to to do elective or "social" inductions once the mom hits 39 weeks (thank god that has changed), though us nurses hate it. We pray for "natural labor" patients (those who aren't induced, go into labor naturally). So much easier for the mom and the baby. Faster and safer too. 

Elective inductions are usually done because the mom is just "done" being pregnant and asks/begs the MD, or is done for physician convenience. 

I wish more moms knew the fact that elective induction significantly increases the chance of your getting a primary c-section (aka a failed induction, lol). Do your research if your doc ever suggests an induction. 

ETA: 1cm dilated, 90% effaced is nothing for a first time mom. That's gonna be a very looooong induction .... Lexus will be miserable. 

Edited by duckduckgoose
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, teapot said:

I agree that teen moms deserve a shower.  The family & friends can show support (even if there isn't approval), and it's true, I was a 22 year old mom but I didn't have a single thing until my shower!  Every expectant mom deserves a little help!

I don't agree that anyone "deserves" anything.  If you, teen or not, are making the choice to bring a child into this world, then you should be prepared to handle ALL the responsibilities, financial and otherwise, that go with that.  If you are knowingly waiting for others to provide you with the necessities for your unborn child, you maybe shouldn't be making the decision to have it.  That kind of attitude seems sort of selfish and entitled.  No one owes an expectant mother anything.  If family and friends want to throw a person a shower and celebrate fine.  But no one owes expectant parents anything.  Parents should be prepared to handle getting what they need on their own.  Not expect others to automatically provide it for them.  That's the problem with most of these teen idiots.  They cry, whine, and shout when criticized about the dumb move to get pregnant at their ages about how it's their baby and they are going to be better than their parents, but turn around and expect everybody else to provide and do everything for them.

As for teen showers, people can give items and support without it turning into a party for two people who messed up and are about to put an unfair burden on others who didn't ask for it.  I'm more concerned about what they "deserve" because no one really seems to take into consideration how their lives will be affected because of choices that were beyond their control.

Shelley just needs to just stay in her lane which is her son.  Shannon will or won't turn out to be an ass.  It's not any of Shelley's concern.  She's way too personally involved.  It's as if Shannon personally did something to her.  Like, because Shannon wasn't a good parent, McKayla ended up pregnant with her son and she's pissed.  It's as if all the anger she must understandably feel about the situation has been totally transferred to Shannon.  And she keeps accusing Shannon of getting pregnant because McKayla did, but they keep saying that Shannon is due before McKayla, so assuming both are full-term, how did that work?  Don't get me wrong, Shannon is a piece of work, selfish and immature, but Shelley needs to stay out of it.  If Shannon's so awful, she'll disappear soon enough.  Shelley should worry about her kid taking care of his responsibilities.  Does he have a job?  What are his contributions to taking care of this child going to be?  McKayla and baby are setting up a crib at her grandparents' house, so he must not be moving in, but is he going to help McKayla at night?  Or are grandma and grandpa going to have that honor?  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

As for teen showers, people can give items and support without it turning into a party for two people who messed up and are about to put an unfair burden on others who didn't ask for it.  I'm more concerned about what they "deserve" because no one really seems to take into consideration how their lives will be affected because of choices that were beyond their control.

Oh, I agree on just a small family baby shower, if anyone wants to throw one.

Some of the showers nowadays are way too elaborate. (Now get off my lawn) ;-)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Some of the showers nowadays are way too elaborate. (Now get off my lawn) ;-)

I agree! What happened to a girl's mother and sisters or girlfriends had people over for coffee and cake? Renting a hall? Registries? What foolery is this? 

2 hours ago, duckduckgoose said:

1cm dilated, 90% effaced is nothing for a first time mom. That's gonna be a very looooong induction .... Lexus will be miserable. 

That child has no idea what she's facing. She thinks she'll saunter in, get an epidural, and do her nails. I cannot imagine why anyone would choose to do this. I'd fight it tooth and nail if it was me. 

2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I wasn't trying to make excuses. He should absolutely be polite to Lexus's mom. I was more just wondering aloud if his behavior is a symptom of a larger personality problem, or if it was just general teenage pun

Hee! I've seen you around these parts long enough to know that you would never excuse such behavior!! I think he's not been very well brought up, to be so rude to his girlfriend's mother. I was always an easygoing parent, I did not have a lot of rules and I wasn't strict but Jesus if anyone was so disrespectful in my house I'd kick his ass. And my son would have been mortified if any of his friends spoke to me or his dad that way. 

• Love 8

I wonder how long it takes to puts show like this together?  It must be an Interesting job!  Can you imagine the excitement of being on a show like this!  I wonder if word gets out and girls bet pregnant just to have a chance?

Things I ponder!

• Love 3

That pimply asshole Shayden would have been out the door of my house!  In my world, he wouldn't have been there to begin with.  During the middle of that fit he was having I would have clothes lined him with that bathrobe then slapped the acne off his face.

• Love 6

Did I miss something with McKayla’s story?  I thought they said she moved in with grandparents after her mom got on drugs because the dad died?  Well, Grandma and Grandpa keep saying she has lived with them since she was four. Shannon said the dad died when McKayla was five!  Did I miss something or is this just the narrative they tell to make it sound like Shannon had a good excuse for walking out on her kids?

• Love 8
14 hours ago, KBrownie said:

I don't agree that anyone "deserves" anything.  If you, teen or not, are making the choice to bring a child into this world, then you should be prepared to handle ALL the responsibilities, financial and otherwise, that go with that.  If you are knowingly waiting for others to provide you with the necessities for your unborn child, you maybe shouldn't be making the decision to have it.  That kind of attitude seems sort of selfish and entitled.  No one owes an expectant mother anything.  If family and friends want to throw a person a shower and celebrate fine.  But no one owes expectant parents anything.  Parents should be prepared to handle getting what they need on their own.  Not expect others to automatically provide it for them.  That's the problem with most of these teen idiots.  They cry, whine, and shout when criticized about the dumb move to get pregnant at their ages about how it's their baby and they are going to be better than their parents, but turn around and expect everybody else to provide and do everything for them.

Shelley just needs to just stay in her lane which is her son.  Shannon will or won't turn out to be an ass.  It's not any of Shelley's concern.  She's way too personally involved.  It's as if Shannon personally did something to her.  Like, because Shannon wasn't a good parent, McKayla ended up pregnant with her son and she's pissed.  It's as if all the anger she must understandably feel about the situation has been totally transferred to Shannon.  And she keeps accusing Shannon of getting pregnant because McKayla did, but they keep saying that Shannon is due before McKayla, so assuming both are full-term, how did that work?  Don't get me wrong, Shannon is a piece of work, selfish and immature, but Shelley needs to stay out of it.  If Shannon's so awful, she'll disappear soon enough.  Shelley should worry about her kid taking care of his responsibilities.  Does he have a job?  What are his contributions to taking care of this child going to be?  McKayla and baby are setting up a crib at her grandparents' house, so he must not be moving in, but is he going to help McKayla at night?  Or are grandma and grandpa going to have that honor?  

To be fair, showers in general are out of control, and it has been that way for at least 15 years.   I see plenty of established adults who expect other people to furnish baby necessities.   I worked at a hospital, and the baby showers at work were really out of control and obnoxious.  At work, husbands with pregnant wives were being given showers!  Everyone would be expected to bring some sort of pot luck party food and a gift off the registry.  The baby gift registries were really over the top and obnoxious.  My standard gift was a pack of diapers and a box of wipes.   Baby showers and wedding showers at work were never ending.  Two of my dear friends (we are all nurses) mention it.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hee! I've seen you around these parts long enough to know that you would never excuse such behavior!! I think he's not been very well brought up, to be so rude to his girlfriend's mother. I was always an easygoing parent, I did not have a lot of rules and I wasn't strict but Jesus if anyone was so disrespectful in my house I'd kick his ass. And my son would have been mortified if any of his friends spoke to me or his dad that way. 

You're probably right, about him not being very well brought up. His mom was a young mom - and she's got FIVE kids and FOUR grandkids! She probably been very busy (if you get my meaning). 

3 hours ago, HooHooHoo said:

Did I miss something with McKayla’s story?  I thought they said she moved in with grandparents after her mom got on drugs because the dad died?  Well, Grandma and Grandpa keep saying she has lived with them since she was four. Shannon said the dad died when McKayla was five!  Did I miss something or is this just the narrative they tell to make it sound like Shannon had a good excuse for walking out on her kids?

Oooooh, I didn't catch that. Interesting. I wonder if BOTH parents were on drugs and the father died of drug related causes? 

I did notice that Shannon said she has been sober since 2009, at which point her daughter would have been around 7. I'm just wondering why, if her daughter was only living with the grandparents for 3 years, she didn't try to get her kids back or be more involved until now. I just think she's shady as hell. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Who said they're impoverished? Just because someone is a teen parent doesn't mean they're impoverished. I was a teen mom, I had both of my kids before I was old enough to drink and we were never poverty stricken. I learned a trade at a young age and ended up with a great career.  I had my own mobile dog grooming business and did very, very well. 

I guess I assumed being strapped for cash was one of the consequences of being a teen parent. (Kelsey keeps talking about how hard it was when she was raising Lexus and how she had to take a string of shit jobs in restaurants to keep a roof over their heads.) The girls might not be able to finish high school and the boys don't earn enough to pay child support, if they even have PT jobs. And if they stay in school, then they would likely have to go on public assistance. Then you multiply that by two or even three generations...in small towns? Seemed like a struggle to me. I assumed poverty was a major issue. But I personally never knew any teen parents...

• Love 3