Type keyword(s) to search

Something Unexpected: Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 13/08/2018 at 10:08 PM, Scarlett45 said:

@Ijustwantsomechips I hate baby showers too- but it’s a shower for HIS baby. At the very minimum he could’ve shown up, smiled, spoken respectfully to his elders like he had home training, regardless if he was interested. There are things you do because of social rules and they mean a lot to your family. 

Exactly! This little jerk-face is responsible for creating a baby, and precisely because of that, there will be lots of things now and in his future that he won't like or will think are boring. He doesn't get a pass because he's an arrogant, coddled kid. Start learning how to be an adult, and brush up on your manners ASAP - it's not all about you anymore, kid. In fact, this goes for all the teens on the show who have such an enormous sense of entitlement simply because the condom burst, or they were too cheap to buy one in the first place.

• Love 8

Maybe Diego realized how bad he was looking and is playing it up for the cameras, but I really thought I saw a crack in his hard candy shell and maybe there are the beginnings of a decent man in there. I hope he was sincere for Emily and the baby's sake anyway.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

Choleostasis is what she said.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrahepatic_cholestasis_of_pregnancy  From the information in the wikipedia article, it does sound like induction is a safer choice than waiting for this case.

Isn't that what Leslie's wife had on that show Lost in Transition?  If anyone watched that...

5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm usually one that defends McKayla, but even *I* thought she was being super bratty this week. I just couldn't believe she had the gal to demand people help her pack. More specifically - it was WHOM she asking to help. First all, her Grandpa already feels sad about her leaving. Now he has to wade through her messy room and help her do it??? It would be one thing if she were getting her own place, but no. She's just going to camp out with her mom, leaving the people who raised her her entire life. That would sting. 

Then she insists Calen come help as well. Really? REALLY? Caelen has been living with her at her grandparents. He's been seeing his son every day and, ostensibly, helping out. Now she's going to pack up herself and the baby and go live somewhere that HE is not allowed. And he's supposed to help her do it? That is fucked. 

Of course, Caelen could go get them their own place. Problem solved. But I still feel bad for him. It very much looks like McKayla is choosing her grifter mom over everybody damn else - everybody that's  been there for her when her POS mom wasn't. Caelen did get pretty nasty, in the way he was talking to McKayla, but I could understand his hurt. 

McKayla just pisses me off.  She's a spoiled little bitch.  I couldn't believe it when she called Calean to demand he comes and helps her pack.  While it looked like she was doing nothing. 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:29 PM, lezlers said:

Wow, okay.   What a little asshole.   I'd like to smack all these little punks in the face, tbh.

He also didn't want anyone holding the baby (as a newborn) because she could get used to that and become spoiled.  He left her in the middle of a rug on the floor, unswaddled, while she screamed her head off and he and Lexus were a few feet away.  She was just a few days old. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ShaNaeNae said:

He also didn't want anyone holding the baby (as a newborn) because she could get used to that and become spoiled.  He left her in the middle of a rug on the floor, unswaddled, while she screamed her head off and he and Lexus were a few feet away.  She was just a few days old. 

I kept waking up the night I saw that episode, thinking of poor little brand new baby Scarlett, lying on the floor, cold, crying inconsolably, while Shaeden and Lexus just sat there looking at her. I wanted to clunk their stupid heads together.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Kelsey annoys me.

Kelsey's grammar is atrocious, which annoys me.  So many double negatives.

Then she insists Calen come help as well. Really? REALLY? Caelen has been living with her at her grandparents. He's been seeing his son every day and, ostensibly, helping out. Now she's going to pack up herself and the baby and go live somewhere that HE is not allowed. And he's supposed to help her do it? That is fucked. 

Not only that, he'd said he would help her pack the next day.  But she somehow decided he needed to do it that day, and kept texting and calling.  I don't blame him for being an asshole about it, or for hanging up on her.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Kelsey's grammar is atrocious, which annoys me.  So many double negatives.

Not only that, he'd said he would help her pack the next day.  But she somehow decided he needed to do it that day, and kept texting and calling.  I don't blame him for being an asshole about it, or for hanging up on her.

Yea, it's as if she thinks he should just be at her beck and call. Is Shannon going to reneg on everything if she doesn't get over there right this minute?

• Love 4

Diego = loser.
Emiley = doormat.

I can't stand Mikayla. She's absolutely positively unlikable. Her whining about them not being a team really means "I'm not getting everything my way so it's a problem." I just can't feel bad for her in any way. "If you loved me, you'd do this for me." Gag. Grandpa should have told her to pack her own shit. Does Mikayla work? How is she going to contribute if she moves in with Shannon?

Laura's 14 year old sister is the smart one in the family. Laura's "as a single mom, I get all kinds of stuff." Lovely. Why earn and spend your own money on condoms, when having a baby gets you all kinds of free stuff! I'm not sure if that applies if you are living at home with your parents though.

Lexus looks horrific with that garish makeup. She comes across as such a snotty, little bitch that it's difficult of feel any sympathy for her stresses.  Is it really necessary that we watch her learn to park a car? She should be doing that with a driving instructor, not her mother, as clearly evidenced by all the fighting in the car. Boring filler.

Maybe I'm just cranky but this show too is taking too long to get to the meat. We are stuck watching scripted, rehashed conversations about the same shit over and over again.

The girl that they didn't show this week (the one with Max): her mother should get a poster that says in huge letters, "I know what I'm doing" and hold it up every time the gal asks for help with the baby or for any type of support from her mother. 

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Does Mikayla work? How is she going to contribute if she moves in with Shannon?

I assume McKayla is getting survivor’s benefits (social security RSDI?) since her dad died. It wouldn’t surprise me if Shannon wanted to get her grifty paws on that and McKayla’s money from season 1.

• Love 13

It was quite a sight to watch McKayla attack that crab during the restaurant scene. Her expressions were priceless. I hope someday she learns to chew with her mouth closed.

20 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I assume McKayla is getting survivor’s benefits (social security RSDI?) since her dad died. It wouldn’t surprise me if Shannon wanted to get her grifty paws on that and McKayla’s money from season 1.

Don’t those payments stop when she turns 18?  How old is she now?

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 8

I also marveled at McKayla's lack of self-consciousness while she was eating.  She was exceptionally bratty this episode, but then again Caelen seems to lack respect for everyone. I don't like the way he acts or talks.

McKayla cupped her face in her hands perfectly on cue; it was so obvious she was looking at someone who probably mouthed 'now!'.  Caelen could barely contain his laughter.

The new pregnant teen seems to be the dimmest so far, & that's saying something with this crowd.  You'd think the doctor could've waited a day or two more for the induction so it wasn't on her sister's birthday. I doubt even for her condition it would've been that risky as she's only 36 weeks.  Her parents had a constant look of horror, especially the dad.

Kelsey doesn't seem to realize no one learns to drive properly or safely with someone yelling at them - do the right thing for Lexus & hire a damn instructor.

Diego's already gaslighting - it will be her fault that he leaves because she's forcing him to do something & that's pushing him away - yeah, okay. Never mind the thing she would like him to do is be a father to their child - waaaay too much to ask there. I can't imagine him sticking around & will be surprised if he even makes the birth. It might be better that he doesn't as he might bitch the whole time that he has to get to practice so she should hurry it up already.

Agreed on all the nonsense filler on this show.

I want to know real information: Who is working & what are they doing? Who is going to school & where are the babies during that time? Did they graduate with their classes? Do they have any future plans for their education?  Again what about the babies? What are the fathers doing - work/school? Are they contributing & how?  Etc. 

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 12

Lord, lord, lord.

Watching Laura and Anna's parents suffer is rough. The agony all over their faces. The silence when this entitled kid eating their spaghetti says, "You act like I know nothing!" And then he's mystified that they would go to their pastor multiple times for help dealing with the catastrophe he wrought with his penis.

I like a good snarkfest as much as anyone, especially when the targets are self-righteous Christians who teach their daughters to wait for marriage instead of educating them about birth control...but I felt so bad for them. Somebody PLEASE PLEASE tell Anna she is in charge of her own body and she can get an IUD if she needs one. Nobody else in that family needs to lose their dreams.

• Love 8

Diego will be in the wind very soon. Taking her skating so she gets her smile back ? Ok, whatever. Listen, Diego, when you have been up all night with a crying baby who costs $$$, no one will be smiling.

Laura looks so much older than Tylor or however the hell he spells his name. Her parents are in shock still this late into the pregnancy. 

Lexus name is so ironic because the way her life is going, with no education or skills for the future, she's more likely to drive a beat-up Ford.

Mckayla needs to realize, she is making a gigantic mistake, not only for her but for her son. She's leaving the comfort  and security of her gp's home, where the baby has constant access to Caelan, to live in a cold basement with dog waste on the floor. Nice.

• Love 13

Laura's parents look shell-shocked still. She's so oblivious to the strain she's put on her entire family. "I don't want to struggle," then maybe you should have thought about that before deciding to have the baby. So entitled. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

She also has a pretty big YouTube channel (193K Subscribers).  Which is how I think the show found her.

13 hours ago, configdotsys said:

The girl that they didn't show this week (the one with Max): her mother should get a poster that says in huge letters, "I know what I'm doing" and hold it up every time the gal asks for help with the baby or for any type of support from her mother. 

"I know what I'm dooooooooing..."

14 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

My favorite was "My grandma says to watch your language" delivered in a holier than thou, snotty tone. Good lord girl. Check yourself. 

Oh yeah, how about take him off speaker phone?

10 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

Diego will be in the wind very soon. Taking her skating so she gets her smile back ? Ok, whatever. Listen, Diego, when you have been up all night with a crying baby who costs $$$, no one will be smiling.

Taking her to skate where she can't participate, but she can sit and watch him while he puts on a stupid show for her and her friends.  Sounds like a great day to me.  :Eyeroll:

• Love 8
14 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

It is sad that that girl and her sister are not close anymore thanks to her boyfriend

Laura is so self absorbed that she doesn't even notice the havoc her selfishness is wreaking on her family. I don't believe in shaming pregnant teens, but geez, girl, acknowledge the pain you have caused your parents and sister! Her smug little smile! Her parents and sister are glum and subdued. She's all "oh well, I have to have my baby on your birthday. Sucks to be you". Gah.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

That's the entire reason Shannon was around. If McKayla never got this show, I bet she wouldn't have heard boo from her mother. 

13 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

The new pregnant teen seems to be the dimmest so far, & that's saying something with this crowd.  You'd think the doctor could've waited a day or two more for the induction so it wasn't on her sister's birthday. I doubt even for her condition it would've been that risky as she's only 36 weeks.  Her parents had a constant look of horror, especially the dad.

I think their looks of horror infuriated me more than anything. Are these the kind of parents that just send their kids off to school and church and assume it will all work out for the best? I don't mean to put every teen pregnancy on the parents of the teens, but.....how do we have kids who are old enough to drive a car walking around and still not understanding how contraception works???

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Ivylady said:

Laura's parents look shell-shocked still. She's so oblivious to the strain she's put on her entire family. "I don't want to struggle," then maybe you should have thought about that before deciding to have the baby. So entitled. 

This!  I can’t get over the fact that her dad looks like he’s been made speechless all the time. The mom looks worn out by the news, but dad looks recently shocked.  It would be kind of funny if it wasn’t so tragic.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I don't mean to put every teen pregnancy on the parents of the teens, but.....how do we have kids who are old enough to drive a car walking around and still not understanding how contraception works???

She mentioned they were using birth control, so they obviously knew something. Then they decided it wasn't worth paying for, apparently, so now they'll be paying for a baby - or, the parents will be paying.

I know people are all get the IUD, get the Depo or whatever, but those can cause possibly long term problems for women.  I don't see why it's so damn complicated for a dude to wrap it up. It's easy & doesn't cause anyone's bodies any harm.

Laziness & stupidity, among other issues, are at play in these situations.

• Love 7

those can cause possibly long term problems for women

In contrast to teen pregnancy?

Laziness & stupidity, among other issues, are at play in these situations.

I agree. Condoms are not a good sole BC method for people who are lazy and stupid. Barring medical issues like blood clots, long-acting reversible birth control that can't be forgotten or blown off "in the heat of the moment" is the right choice for dummies like this.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

those can cause possibly long term problems for women

In contrast to teen pregnancy?

They're two different problems. If they'd just use birth control that doesn't have the possibility of damaging the girl/woman, then they'd be okay, but again this crowd just has too many problems to think responsibly about anything.

43 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

I agree. Condoms are not a good sole BC method for people who are lazy and stupid. Barring medical issues like blood clots, long-acting reversible birth control that can't be forgotten or blown off "in the heat of the moment" is the right choice for dummies like this.

I don't think condoms are just for the 'lazy & stupid'. They're also for those who don't want to suffer from long term hormonal difficulties (of which many other problems can happen) etc. They can also help protect from STD's, which is a way too common problem.

But again, I think we're both saying the same thing in that these kids have other issues & just aren't able for some reason to be responsible for themselves. That in itself makes it horrifying that now they're responsible for another human being.

• Love 4

Condoms are not a good sole BC method for people who are lazy and stupid.

Quoting myself, because I said condoms are NOT for lazy, stupid people like the Unexpected teens. If you count on them wrapping it up, you might as well count on them screwing it up. Fools need something foolproof.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

She mentioned they were using birth control, so they obviously knew something. Then they decided it wasn't worth paying for, apparently, so now they'll be paying for a baby - or, the parents will be paying.

Oh, I know, but that's what I'm talking about! What special breed of idiot thinks condoms are most expensive than a baby??? The way they said it, it made it sound like they didn't think they were going to get pregnant anyway, so they didn't want to bother paying for them. They both just came across as totally clueless, to me. My elementary aged kids know more about conception and pregnancy than most of the morons on these shows. 

• Love 12

Laura's parents are pretty deep dyed Christians, right? Probably thought telling their dimwit daughter to keep her legs crossed for Jesus was enough. Their pain is palpable but maybe, just maybe they'll be a bit more pro active with daughter #2?

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

How old is McKayla? You will only get survivor's benefits until you are 18. But, a single mother with no job will get assistance from the state, including wic, snap benefits, and a fairly large tax refund.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Oh, I know, but that's what I'm talking about! What special breed of idiot thinks condoms are most expensive than a baby??? The way they said it, it made it sound like they didn't think they were going to get pregnant anyway, so they didn't want to bother paying for them. They both just came across as totally clueless, to me. My elementary aged kids know more about conception and pregnancy than most of the morons on these shows. 

My husband and 2 of his brothers all had babies either at the end of high school or the year after with their high school girlfriends and none of them stayed together. My MIL would find condoms in their rooms and throw them away. She figured if they didn't have condoms they wouldn't have sex. After the first and then the second time you would have thought that she would learn her lesson for the next, but nope. My 10 year old knows about condoms and we have had demonstrations with condoms and bananas. I never understood her reasoning and I won't do that to my son. I would rather buy him the condoms then have a child so young.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Laura's parents are pretty deep dyed Christians, right? Probably thought telling their dimwit daughter to keep her legs crossed for Jesus was enough. Their pain is palpable but maybe, just maybe they'll be a bit more pro active with daughter #2?

She doesn't exactly seem sheltered. And they were using birth control, but gave up on it thinking, stupidly, that nothing would happen. It's really a shame that they would start out sensibly careful & then just throw caution to the wind like that.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I don't believe in shaming pregnant teens,

I can't say I'm 100% on the same page as you.  I'm sure it marks me as a terrible person because apparently these days we're all entitled to do whatever we want without even a hint of shame, but dammit, these girls are wreaking havoc on their own lives, the lives of their families, and the life of the baby they are completely unable to support on their own.  I think they should be ashamed, and if their own moral compass won't lead them not to do such harm, maybe an external moral compass could make an inroad.

We even had one mother who wanted to be on record as never having said she was disappointed in her daughter.  Disappointed!  Fuck that.

Surely if her daughter decided to drop out of high school with no plans at all, her mother would admit she was disappointed.  And that would have far fewer implications than having a damn baby. 

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

But, but, she made a chastity promise with a ring and everything ???

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BravoAddict72 said:

My husband and 2 of his brothers all had babies either at the end of high school or the year after with their high school girlfriends and none of them stayed together. My MIL would find condoms in their rooms and throw them away. She figured if they didn't have condoms they wouldn't have sex. After the first and then the second time you would have thought that she would learn her lesson for the next, but nope. My 10 year old knows about condoms and we have had demonstrations with condoms and bananas. I never understood her reasoning and I won't do that to my son. I would rather buy him the condoms then have a child so young.

Good for you! I'm the same way. I actually have pretty old fashioned views on sex and relationships, but I'm also not stupid. I truly believe that the best thing you can do for your kids in this arena is to have an ongoing, honest discussion with them. Not just one, brief sex talk. Many. 

I have heard teens in our area talking at the park. They don't realize you can still make a baby if you pull out. They actually think you can't get pregnant if you do it in water. My kids will not be that ignorant. 

I once read a study (I know, I know) where 40% of kids said they would have waited longer to have sex if their parents talked to them. I don't know about that, But I do know knowledge never hurts.

I feel like most of the parents we've seen on this show were either too embarrassed to engage in these conversations or in denial that their kids were already "there". 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Or the state will be paying.

• Love 5

The teen boy that said being a teen parent they will have a better chance at being millionaires because he knows all kinds that learned early at being responsible etc... I almost died laughing!! I was wondering if he watches teen mom and thinks this show will get him there or he’s just that naive, or like a small child dreaming.. 

i think you should shame teen pregnancy and talk to your kids and really drill it in there heads how there life will be over once they have a baby to tend to, it won’t be all about them anymore.. I want to see my kids live there life and take vacations and liv it up to the fullest and then have children

on another note my daughters name is Lexus I didnt ever think it was weird until I read the comments.. it’s really weird watching the show I’ve never met another  lexus 

Edited by Mainer
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Maybe, or they'll do what a lot of religious parents do and punish her sister for Laura's mistake. "Since Laura got pregnant because we let her out of the house, you can't go anywhere/do anything" type of deal. I really feel sorry for Anna. 

• Love 10

I'm going to hell for saying this but I fully support shaming teens who get pregnant. I get that teens do stupid things but this is not putting a dent in the car: something that is done and over with. This type of event puts years and years of incredible strain and pressure on the parents of the teen, people who were probably planning their future once the kids were off to college or out on their own or people who live on a shoestring budget and can't afford to take on another mouth to feed. A teen having a baby presses the reset button on any plans that the parents had and forces them to drop everything in their life because their teen was an irresponsible fool. To see the teens with a shrug of the shoulders, smirk firmly in place and gloss about how they know what they're doing and can handle it all is infuriating. After all, it is the teen's baby so the parents take a backseat to decision making unless there is some turnover of custody. So the parents not only have the stresses of paying, having the (often irresponsible and mean/violent/dirtbag) father of the the baby visiting or living there, but they have little say as the teen parents-- in the case of Shayden-- decide that a days old baby will get spoiled if picked up too much or given a pacifier. Laura's "We decided why should we spend money on that [condoms]?" OMG I just can't with these people. 

• Love 22
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I was 32 and 34 when I had my kids, married, and my birthing plan was "GET IT OUT!"  My suitcase was....well a suitcase.  Like who the hell cares what is in it?

LOVE IT!  And military dads and moms DO NOT PLAY when it comes to "conduct unbecoming a gentleman" so they have high expectations of their kids at school.  

I am here to tell you I am on the standard 2,456 weeks to recover before you hit the gym.

I was 34 when I had my first and I didn't even OPEN my overnight bag the whole time I was in the hospital.  I didn't even bother bringing one for my second. 

• Love 2
On 8/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, LilaFowler said:

Considering the parents that we've seen on the show, it is clear to me that the kids never stood a chance of growing up to be normal, goal-oriented adults. They were always doomed. Diego's mother isn't even ashamed of her jerk son's behavior and has probably never disciplined him in his life. He'll be an affront to all other humans for the rest of his life.

When she said "you can't push him... he's been that way his whole life" I was FLOORED.  I don't even have kids but I can't imagine saying "oh he's just always been like that" in response to a piss-poor attitude of your grown son. How about teaching him to respect his pregnant girlfriend and her family. holy freaking crap.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:58 AM, ghoulina said:

Chloe and Max - I may be wrong, but I 100% believe Max intended to get her pregnant. I know that it's usually the girls who are trying to trap a guy, but he seems way more into her than she is into him. He also seems way more into having a baby, and I'm not buying his stories about why they didn't use BC. I know many teens ARE that ignorant and lazy about it, but there's just a vibe I'm getting from Max. His mother was a stripper who often left him in hotel rooms. I think he's trying to recreate that "happy family" he never had. 

You don't need to think he might be doing that... he's been pretty open that it's his true motivation.  Part of me likes the kid because he obviously has goals and wants a better life for himself and his family but he's going to be a handful the older he gets if no one can get through to him about the way he acts.  And I'm not even sure if you can change someone like that but they definitely aren't helping him at all.  It's obvious that none of Chloe's family know how to handle him.  She couldn't even be honest that she wasn't thrilled about having a baby, he just about freaked out whens she paused. He could get scary very quickly. I also don't think he'll take it well at all if she ever wants to break it off.  But she seems to be ok with the way he acts so I don't see them breaking up any time soon.

19 hours ago, BravoAddict72 said:

How old is McKayla? You will only get survivor's benefits until you are 18. But, a single mother with no job will get assistance from the state, including wic, snap benefits, and a fairly large tax refund.

From one of her conversations with Caelan it sounds like she gets at least $500 - it seems like that was the amount she gave her mom or plans on giving her mom to 'help out'.  Caelen said her $500 could have went towards their own place that they could probably get for $650 and not some basement. 

17 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I have heard teens in our area talking at the park. They don't realize you can still make a baby if you pull out. They actually think you can't get pregnant if you do it in water. My kids will not be that ignorant. 

It blows my mind that kids think that pulling out is an effective birth control method.  BLOWS MY MIND.

But I've always been pretty determined to not get pregnant. And I've never had the mindset of "oh i'll just chance it"  F-THAT!  Thankfully I've had partners in the past that had the same mindset because most of the time I didn't even have to ask if they had a condom but I also wasn't scared to ask in the moment either.  But i'm probably an odd duck because my parents never had 'the talk' with me.  I've always just been hard-wired to make sure I'm careful. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, gunderda said:

But i'm probably an odd duck because my parents never had 'the talk' with me.  I've always just been hard-wired to make sure I'm careful. 

That's a good description--hard-wired.  My parents never had "the talk" with me, either, but I'm old and that's how things were back then.  But I, too, was hard-wired on that, and other things that were never explicitly talked about; I just had a nose for trouble and avoided it.

But that brings up the likelihood that some people are hard-wired the other way, and no amount of talking or education is going to get through to them.  Unfortunately, it means that they're the ones who will end up as teen parents, and passing on that DNA or whatever it is to another generation of hard-wired-the-other-way people.  Sure, people can get out from under it, but it takes self awareness, not to mention work, and "self awareness" and "willingness to work" don't appear to be in these particular teens' toolboxes of life.

Except Max, of course.  He's willing to pinch pennies now in order to be a millionaire later.  (And if he has to steal those pennies he's pinching, so be it.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

I'm going to hell for saying this but I fully support shaming teens who get pregnant. I get that teens do stupid things but this is not putting a dent in the car: something that is done and over with. This type of event puts years and years of incredible strain and pressure on the parents of the teen, people who were probably planning their future once the kids were off to college or out on their own or people who live on a shoestring budget and can't afford to take on another mouth to feed. A teen having a baby presses the reset button on any plans that the parents had and forces them to drop everything in their life because their teen was an irresponsible fool. To see the teens with a shrug of the shoulders, smirk firmly in place and gloss about how they know what they're doing and can handle it all is infuriating. After all, it is the teen's baby so the parents take a backseat to decision making unless there is some turnover of custody. So the parents not only have the stresses of paying, having the (often irresponsible and mean/violent/dirtbag) father of the the baby visiting or living there, but they have little say as the teen parents-- in the case of Shayden-- decide that a days old baby will get spoiled if picked up too much or given a pacifier. Laura's "We decided why should we spend money on that [condoms]?" OMG I just can't with these people. 

Also it's just selfish for the child they're bringing into the world who they are totally unable to care for & provide for properly as they haven't grown up themselves. Then possibly due to the lack of self awareness the cycle continues with that child someday...

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That's a good description--hard-wired.  My parents never had "the talk" with me, either, but I'm old and that's how things were back then.  But I, too, was hard-wired on that, and other things that were never explicitly talked about; I just had a nose for trouble and avoided it.

But that brings up the likelihood that some people are hard-wired the other way, and no amount of talking or education is going to get through to them.  Unfortunately, it means that they're the ones who will end up as teen parents, and passing on that DNA or whatever it is to another generation of hard-wired-the-other-way people.  Sure, people can get out from under it, but it takes self awareness, not to mention work, and "self awareness" and "willingness to work" don't appear to be in these particular teens' toolboxes of life.

Except Max, of course.  He's willing to pinch pennies now in order to be a millionaire later.  (And if he has to steal those pennies he's pinching, so be it.)

It's so interesting to me that this seems to be a multi-generational thing. Maybe they're just hard-wired to breed. God knows.

I was wondering about Caelen saying they could get a place for 650. I'm in Houston, and housing expenses are really reasonable, but 650 would not get you a decent place here. Maybe if you were single, but certainly not a family of three.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Not only that, one of the geniuses on this show said her boyfriend's pullout game wasn't what it should be.  Lord.

But the dumb ass missed when Max said flat out he was TRYING  to get her pregnant.  There was no attempt at a pull out stoopid!

• Love 6

I don't know if I would go so far as to say I would shame a pregnant teen, but I would be really mad. I have told my kids I could handle almost anything else, but if they got someone pregnant at an early age I would be mad about that. We have taught safe sex, and I will even be willing to buy condoms. I can say one thing though. I have raised my kids. If they do have a child young I am not raising theirs also. I will not be a free babysitter so they can go out and still have fun all the time. Maybe once in awhile, but certainly not all the time. I would not make their life super easy and pay for everything while they sit back and get a free ride. I earned my freedom after they turned into adults and don't plan on giving it up so they can still be teenagers and act like they have all sorts of freedom even though they have a baby.

• Love 13
22 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Good for you! I'm the same way. I actually have pretty old fashioned views on sex and relationships, but I'm also not stupid. I truly believe that the best thing you can do for your kids in this arena is to have an ongoing, honest discussion with them. Not just one, brief sex talk. Many. 

I once read a study (I know, I know) where 40% of kids said they would have waited longer to have sex if their parents talked to them. I don't know about that, But I do know knowledge never hurts.

I feel like most of the parents we've seen on this show were either too embarrassed to engage in these conversations or in denial that their kids were already "there". 

I fully plan on going the old school route of dragging my daughter by the hair when she turns 14 to the doctor to get semi-permanent birth control that will last at least 5 years.   Too bad there's not a comparable thing to do to my son. 

I'm taking no chances, dammit.

• Love 11
On 8/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, gonecrackers said:

I also marveled at McKayla's lack of self-consciousness while she was eating.  She was exceptionally bratty this episode, but then again Caelen seems to lack respect for everyone. I don't like the way he acts or talks.

McKayla cupped her face in her hands perfectly on cue; it was so obvious she was looking at someone who probably mouthed 'now!'.  Caelen could barely contain his laughter.

Kelsey doesn't seem to realize no one learns to drive properly or safely with someone yelling at them - do the right thing for Lexus & hire a damn instructor.

Diego's already gaslighting - it will be her fault that he leaves because she's forcing him to do something & that's pushing him away - yeah, okay. Never mind the thing she would like him to do is be a father to their child - waaaay too much to ask there. I can't imagine him sticking around & will be surprised if he even makes the birth. It might be better that he doesn't as he might bitch the whole time that he has to get to practice so she should hurry it up already.

Agreed on all the nonsense filler on this show.

I want to know real information: Who is working & what are they doing? Who is going to school & where are the babies during that time? Did they graduate with their classes? Do they have any future plans for their education?  Again what about the babies? What are the fathers doing - work/school? Are they contributing & how?  Etc. 

Well, as for future plans, Emily said she is trying out for cheerleader.

Max, tell us one more time how you never had a real family.  He is disturbing.  

As a former high school teacher, I can assure you the smugness, entitlement and cluelessness of these kids is real.  

• Love 10

This guy Max is a Level 5 Clinger. I totally get why Chloe's parents are weary of seeing his face in their house. He's like The Thing Who Wouldn't Leave.

Diego is just an a$$hole and he needs to be called out on it. She seems to be tiptoeing around him. She says that she's "handling it." Like, let's not upset the jerk. If the Jerk is not upset, we'll all have a good day.

No, the relationship with Diego will not work. Cut your losses and move on. They'll have to play hardball in order to get child support. Mom says he "resists" being told what to do. He just needs to be told what to do by someone who is a little more forceful. It wouldn't be that difficult to override him. 

Lexus is definitely bisexual. She's even dreaming about other women.  She might even be more gay than straight. Time will tell.

We should all pitch in and get Shaydon some Proactive. Poor kid... 

• Love 9

So, at the baby shower, Emiley's mom notices that Diego has been ignoring the mother of his child completely. 

As Emily opens presents, her mother goes over to where Diego is flirting with another woman, batting a balloon back and forth like two ten year olds. She politely suggests that Diego go over and sit by Emiley to help her open presents.

Later, as Diego's parents are talking to the producers, they completely gloss over the fact that their pride and joy was acting like an immature a$$hole.  Instead, they chide Emiley's mother for making Diego do something he didn't want to do. "If you push him, he pushes back," she tells us.

Well, of course! Diego just needs to be his own a$$hole and do whatever the hell he wants!

• Love 8
On 8/23/2018 at 9:09 PM, CoachWristletJen said:

Later, as Diego's parents are talking to the producers, they completely gloss over the fact that their pride and joy was acting like an immature a$$hole.  Instead, they chide Emiley's mother for making Diego do something he didn't want to do. "If you push him, he pushes back," she tells us.

Okay, I am the mom of two boys, ages 19 and almost 21, I am the a sped teacher and I exist in the world with other little kids.  I have one piece of advice for parents of strong willed little princes (an princesses):  YOU GOTTA REIN THAT SH*T IN.  He needs to wait his turn, no he does NOT a new toy at Target every time you go.  He does NOT get chicken nuggets for dinner every damn night or he tantrums.  Oh well.  Nothing wrong with speaking up for yourself but damn.....that kid is gonna get his ass kicked.  

Diego's parents, in my opinion, were afraid of letting him be upset.  We can't have Diego upset or uncomfortable now can we?  I have seen it A LOT.

Who is Max's girlfriend mom?  Lady, tell Mad Max to GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE.  If your daughter leaves too oh well.  She'll be back, trust me.  To have some jackass on my couch, about to eat MY food then answering for my daughter???  Shut. Up.  You gotta move your car cause you are leaving.

Look, I get strong willed kids and yes that horse is out of the barn now ion terms of Diego.  But his mom just sits there:  "Oh well......"  Ugh.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 14