Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Milk

9 hours ago, ferjy said:

That's what I saw too. The last scene is Amma strangling her new friend at the fence. I didn't see a psych ward anywhere.

Hey when/where did you see that scene? After ending subtitles I only saw Amma standing in the woods in white dress and there is nothing more but maybe my version is cut or something? ;/

1 hour ago, BingeyKohan said:

One more thing (I’m really not trying to be the show’s apologist, I had problems with it too - like Camille I am leaning toward kindness I guess): I liked how the ‘Milk’ episode title seemed to be about the presumably poisoned milk Camille was served at dinner, but then it was an empty jug of milk that led her to the teeth in the dollhouse, after she spotted the bedspread Mae made in the trash, right after hearing the girls had their first fight (and already having seen an ugly side of Amma at the dinner at Curry’s). I thought those (ivory) dominoes fell into each other nicely.

I think they were also referencing mother milk (of kindness). Specifically Adora's special kind.

Camille's editor also says his wife nearly "nursed me to death."  In reality, that would be an offthecuff insensitive and dumb thing to say. But they wrote that line like it was a throwaway joke.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One small detail that made me laugh while simultaneously rolling my eyes was that even as Adora was being arrested and arguing with Vickery about it, Gayla ran to fetch her shoes, put them on the floor right in front of Adora, helped put her feet into them, and stood there to let Adora use her to balance as she put the requisite high heels on (because God forbid you go to the police station in flat shoes).

I found PC's portrayal of Adora as funny as it was scary.

Edited by Buttless
  • Love 6
56 minutes ago, ferjy said:
9 hours ago, Beezella said:

Did everyone see that the ivory floor in the doll house was made from TEETH?

Well yes, lol. That was part of the big reveal. (Sorry, maybe you were being facetious.)

I actually was not being facetious. I didn't see the teeth in the floor at first. It might depend on the type of screen people might be watching on. Then thinking about it after,  it came to me and I went back and paused on the shot of the floor. I was surprised no one had mentioned it because I think to me that was the most horrifying thing in the whole series. Maybe she started with lost baby teeth? There were a lot of teeth in that floor!

• Love 11

I don't think Amma being the killer was far fetched or badly foreshadowed at all, but I do think this show could've been tighter. There was a lot of filler. Like the driving is something you can do in a book - a couples of sentences/paragraphs to explore a character's thoughts -  but it eats up too much time in a mini with no real payoff.

Munchausen By Proxy is a very passive way of killing someone but strangling them to death and then ripping out their teeth isn't and murderers almost never change their m.o. so it wasn't going to be Adora (I feel like her being Marian's killer was pretty heavily telegraphed). And this is Gillian Flynn we're talking about so even if there are scumbag male characters it wasn't going to be one of them, either. We knew it wasn't Camille so that didn't leave a lot of suspects. Amma was shown to be a bully who prided herself on her ability to get others to do her bidding. Our first shot of her is her hanging out by the woods. Then there was the weird little moment where she leads the pig off and looks at Camille; she always came across as having a few screws loose. In my opinion almost anyone else would've been too left field. I do think the show suffered for the way it showed the murders happening, tho. (Unpopular opinion: not showing them at all and just having Camille finding the teeth being the tip-off would've been enough rather than doing it the way they did.)

• Love 14

I turned it off and deleted it so quick I never saw the scene hidden in the end credits. Getting pretty tired of shows and movies that do that. I had to drag it out of the trash can to watch, and then the scene wasn't worth it. 

My first question, which i figured would be answered better by reading the book and seeing her pov, is why Camille went along with her mother and allowed herself to be poisoned. To sacrifice herself for sis is not a good enough reason. To gather intel so she can prove this is going on is a tiny bit better. I understand her severely screwed up relationship with Mom might make her  fall in with her wishes because perhaps she feels she "deserves it", but that isn't a good enough reason either. With her sister in danger, Camille's behavior is just bizarre. I need to see inside her head.
I wasn't shocked by Amma being the murderer. I called Alan early on, then changed my mind several times and even considered Amma at certain points. Did not call accomplices though. By the end montage it was obvious a twist was coming so how could the reveal be shocking? What shocked me was how pure white those fake teeth were. Way to go props dept.  creating the fakest looking human teeth ever!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Beezella said:

I actually was not being facetious. I didn't see the teeth in the floor at first. It might depend on the type of screen people might be watching on. Then thinking about it after,  it came to me and I went back and paused on the shot of the floor. I was surprised no one had mentioned it because I think to me that was the most horrifying thing in the whole series. Maybe she started with lost baby teeth? There were a lot of teeth in that floor!

Oh I see. It was Camille holding the one tooth and then looking at the floor that led us to the realization that was where the teeth had gone. It was paralleling Adora’s floor made of ivory tusks. You make a good point about the quantity of teeth. It was a miniature so I didn’t think there were that many teeth. I was too horrified to register how many there actually were in there. 

13 hours ago, arvene88 said:

Hey when/where did you see that scene? After ending subtitles I only saw Amma standing in the woods in white dress and there is nothing more but maybe my version is cut or something? ;/

Sorry, I corrected myself later. It wasn’t the last scene, it was the one just before the white dress scene. There are a few scenes during the end credits. It’s very quick to the naked eye. You have to pause it to see them properly (daft way to present it). 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Buttless said:

Oh I didnt mean the posters screencaps. I thought they were being pulled off a search engine.  Like, they were popping up all over the net now, because viewers were just as confused as we were, as to what really was happening in that montage edit.

My criticism was directed at the makers of SO. Thye didnt want to exloit little girl's murders, and by throwing that smash edit up there, they guaranteed these stills of screen caps would be out there. That people would have to pause and inch over what was happening, which makes their deaths very gruesome. 

What TPTB ended up doing on this show, was be disrespectful of the little girl's deaths, and raise Amma to some kind of charming anti-hero, especially with that quasi-comedic ending.

They definitely (and I give Scanlon more credit for this than the writing) did turn Amma into someone actually worth rooting for in this last episode.

Which is another reason the ending is so cheap 

• Love 3

‘Sharp Objects’ Author Explains That Brutally Abrupt Ending

Alan Sepinwall's post-mortem of the series here:   https://goo.gl/gQHKt3

5 minutes ago, Schmolioot said:

They definitely (and I give Scanlon more credit for this than the writing) did turn Amma into someone actually worth rooting for in this last episode.

Which is another reason the ending is so cheap 

"Rooting for" is a great choice of words given the dental aspect of the ending.

• Love 8

I can’t believe that the critics/recappers seem to have liked this. And frankly, the explanations from Valle, Noxon and Flynn just make it worse.

They still made no effort to explain what exactly triggers Amma or how she roped her friends into her plot. I mean, she’s a decent manipulator, but not that good.

• Love 9

I wonder if they slowed the pace to make it more "Southern Gothic" and dream like.  I enjoyed it and even knowing the ending, was shocked at the scenes of Adora mixing up her "medicines", and boiling those bottles in front of Alan.  I kept wondering why Camille didn't say something about how loopy Amma was at that celebration dinner (wtf) but I think Adora had already started poisoning her when she was recovering from her hangover after partying with the kids. 

Maybe the writers didn't want all the male characters to come off as assholes, and that's why they wrote the last scene with Richard apologizing. 

I was also wondering why no one did any press for this. I cannot imagine the emotional state Amy must have been living in.  Just read that she and Patricia will win Emmys for sure.  I agree.  

What a fucked up town.  My home state is a mess. 

6 minutes ago, preeya said:

Amma into someone actually worth rooting for in this last episode.

Guess we have different POVs, I was never rooting for Amma, other than to stay alive.  She was hateful and manipulative.  She and her roller skating friends and that Ashley make "Mean Girls" look like Little Women. 

• Love 14
11 hours ago, tomsmom said:

Still confused as to why Camille would LET Adora poison her??? If she was trying to spare Amma wouldn’t it been easier to excuse yourself and call Richard to help get her out of there.

I know! I thought at first that Camille was going to try get a sample of the “medicine” to be tested, as evidence. Maybe spit some out into a bottle she might have hidden or some other master plan. I was surprised when she kept drinking it, and so much of it! That’s when I realized she must want the concoction to be found in her system, even if she had to die in the process. 

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, preeya said:

‘Sharp Objects’ Author Explains That Brutally Abrupt Ending

Alan Sepinwall's post-mortem of the series here:   https://goo.gl/gQHKt3

"Rooting for" is a great choice of words given the dental aspect of the ending.

That interview with Flynn is obnoxious. She even admits that they didn’t really leave any clues that you’d notice in rewatch and then said that she consulted with people on the “physics” of Amma being able to commit the murders. 

Please

• Love 11

Still confused as to why Camille would LET Adora poison her??? If she was trying to spare Amma wouldn’t it been easier to excuse yourself and call Richard to help get her out of there.

Upon thinking about it, I actually kind of get it. Once Adora poisoned Camille, she started acting caring and nurturing. Camille has been shown to crave her mother’s love so much that even after Adora says she never loved Camille, Camille doesn’t do the sensible thing and just leave. Seeing her mother acting concerned for her health must have been extremely powerful for Camille, and you can see her regressing to a childlike state under Adora’s “care.”

It seems obvious that most people were watching this show to find out who the Wind Gap killer(s) were.  Of course, solving the murders are a natural curiosity, but I think it remains obvious from the first to the last episode who is dangerous.  And if the story fails to inform family dysfunction and mental illness, it is not a successful show.  If it does not highlight how behavior can be transferred from parent to child, and why sometimes it doesn't -- if we are not more curious about why Camille railed against her mother, while her two sisters did not -- then the show is not worth watching.

I’m not sure if you think the show was successful or not. For me it really wasn’t. I’m totally on board with a series that explores themes and atmosphere while leaving the whodunnit on the back burner. Big Little Lies did this very well. The question of who was bullying Amabella and who raped one of the mothers was almost beside the point while we explored the characters living on the California coast. Plus there was the side story of Nicole Kidman’s character dealing with domestic abuse.

The difference is Big Little Lies took the time to show us the aftermath of the ending and also actually had something to say in the leadup to the last episode. Sharp Objects just had lots of atmosphere and....people are really drunk? And they have a really messed up local holiday tradition? And the Queen Bee wields way too much power over law enforcement? That’s about two episodes of material at most.

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, Xantar said:

Upon thinking about it, I actually kind of get it. Once Adora poisoned Camille, she started acting caring and nurturing. Camille has been shown to crave her mother’s love so much that even after Adora says she never loved Camille, Camille doesn’t do the sensible thing and just leave. Seeing her mother acting concerned for her health must have been extremely powerful for Camille, and you can see her regressing to a childlike state under Adora’s “care.”

She had to get the poison in her system so she could prove Adora was committing Munchhausen by proxy. If she made Adora angry, Adora would probably just poison her and kill her but if she acted submissive, she could slow it down and hopefully get help.  Amma being torn about running, then returning to her room showed that it was more important that she stay on Adora's good side, as Adora told her previously, "fine, do your own laundry, buy your own clothes, etc". In other words, you want to be free, you won't have this life any longer. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Xantar said:

This is lovely and probably true for psych/emotional reasons, but I read online that the book

Spoiler

says that Camille was deliberately trying to get evidence into her body of Adora's poisoning.  (I haven't read the book myself, so can't vouch.)  Anyway, would have been nice for the show to show this, because I spent a good 5 minutes wondering why the heck Camille was letting herself be poisoned.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Schmolioot said:

That interview with Flynn is obnoxious. She even admits that they didn’t really leave any clues that you’d notice in rewatch and then said that she consulted with people on the “physics” of Amma being able to commit the murders. 

Please

You mean the physics of the girl who we abruptly and suddenly learned was being poisoned and an invalid killing someone her own size, pulling teeth, and transporting the bodies?  Which is it, show?  I agree, the “physics” research is dumb. 

• Love 14

Not sure why it was necessary for Camille to get poisoned. Amma had a poisoned system. Adora had chemicals in the house. There's your proof. Could've Camille had the police do a welfare check? Could she have convinced them to get a search warrant? Okay, so the corrupt podunk police were too inbred to take action.... what about the state police/prosecutors offices?  How is Camille getting poisoned proof? She harms herself.  Poison could be self inflicted.

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Buttless said:

I think that the opening was out of sequence. It had the high schoolers  chasing down a scared piglet. I think she was picking out a piglet to torture like they did, chasing it. and ultimately falling on it and catching it. Everyone in that scene should burn in hell.

Okay, I didn't make the connection to the pig chase at all.  I binge watched the first five episodes, and it all runs together in my memory anyway, esp with all the flashbacks, etc.  But now it makes sense.

5 hours ago, Buttless said:

And you have got to be fucking kidding me, that we need to read a fucking article from Vanity Fair to figure out the damn show?? And I thought the asshole PTB in the Walking Dead franchise were completely full of shit, having to explain everything that happened on every episode ,on the Talking Dead in the last few seasons.  No viewer should have to do homework to figure out whats going on on your show! These people need to go and new ones brought in who aren't entitled,  lazy, arrogant, talentless hacks..

It now occurs to me that it's intentional.  These shows are brands.  Leaving you with unanswered questions =more talk shows, more articles, more analysis, more interviews, more clicks, clicks, clicks.  $$$  Sort of like how after the original Star Wars, they began including toy merchandise, etc as part of the overall concept.  They are selling us a package.  We are participating in it right now!  Ugh! LOL!

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

The only thing I found shocking about the finale was that Amma was never revealed to be Camille's biological daughter. That was the one cliche that somehow didn't get included in the script!

waaa waaa waaa whaaaaaaaatttt??  lol

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, bijoux said:

It wasn’t Ashley’s bedroom. John was staying in her parents’ carriage house, which was presumably mostly empty until he moved in.

Ah, okay.  That still doesn't explain what they were doing at Ashley's house, long enough to commit a murder and take the body away.  I guess they liked to hang out there and swim.  Now that I think about it, weren't they all there at her pool while Ashley was at cheerleading practice?  Maybe Ashley let people use her pool in her constant quest for popularity?  I don't remember much about that scene except it was to make Amma look precocious and John seem threatening.  It's a loose end for me.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, 100Proof said:

waaa waaa waaa whaaaaaaaatttt??  lol

I'm saying that in popular entertainment, when a woman who's been promiscuous in the past has a much younger sibling (who her mother would have given birth to late in life), 99 times out of 100 we find out that the woman's younger "sibling" is actually their secret child.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ferjy said:

Are you sure that's institutional grating? I'm no expert on fence material. lol But the scene before that is her new friend being strangled. If Amma is in an institution in that shot, why is she gritting her teeth (as if she just strangled someone)?

I slow-motioned this scene.  This is of her killing her new friend.  A scene or two prior, you see her friend's face against the grating.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'm saying that in popular entertainment, when a woman who's been promiscuous in the past has a much younger sibling (who her mother would have given birth to late in life), 99 times out of 100 we find out that the woman's younger "sibling" is actually their secret child.

Lol, I took it to mean it was actually in the book. Oh, and Alan is the father!! yikes!

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 2

I went back to try to count the teeth in the dollhouse, it's pretty blurry. Maybe the right amount of incisors/canines in the border, maybe too many molars. What I also noticed though it that the floor is not finished. The teeth are on a white background with a bit of a pattern, so it's hard to tell, but the center portion of molars is only about 2/3 covered and the border of canine/incisors less than half. Unless I am seeing it wrong, it is very blurry, and part of it is also covered by Camille's hand.

I am thinking about this way too much.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

One show vs. book difference I actually liked: 

Reveal hidden contents

In the book, there's no closure between Richard and Camille. He sees her scars - he has a warrant to search the house, so the dramatic rescue doesn't happen in the book - and is basically like "Ew, what is all that? You're a cutter?" and she never sees him again. I liked their scene in the hospital in the show.

Agree with y'all that the pacing was bad and the ending was too. I knew whodunnit and why, and it was clear a few episodes ago that the show was stalling. I can see why they wouldn't want to do an "And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!" ending, but that ending was terrible.

Reveal hidden contents

In the book, Amma is arrested and Camille cuts that day. The book has made a point of talking about this one patch of uncut skin on Camille's back and on the day Amma is arrested, Camille attacks it. Her boss walks in as Camille is going for her face, and her boss and his wife take her in as a daughter.

I would have hated both those things, so I'm glad they changed them.  It gives both those characters an actual arc, and

Spoiler

leaves Camilla a stronger person, not a weak, helpless victim all over again.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Beezella said:

I went back to try to count the teeth in the dollhouse, it's pretty blurry. Maybe the right amount of incisors/canines in the border, maybe too many molars. What I also noticed though it that the floor is not finished. The teeth are on a white background with a bit of a pattern, so it's hard to tell, but the center portion of molars is only about 2/3 covered and the border of canine/incisors less than half. Unless I am seeing it wrong, it is very blurry, and part of it is also covered by Camille's hand.

Surprisingly a lot of teeth in a mouth. Don't seem/feel like it though. Hard to tell how much more of the floor has teeth. What's shown could be around 3 mouthfuls worth. If theres more I'm thinking Amma being the psychopath she is, graduated from killing pigs for their teeth and onto humans

• Love 3
11 hours ago, peach said:

Ah, okay.  That still doesn't explain what they were doing at Ashley's house, long enough to commit a murder and take the body away.  I guess they liked to hang out there and swim.  Now that I think about it, weren't they all there at her pool while Ashley was at cheerleading practice?  Maybe Ashley let people use her pool in her constant quest for popularity?  I don't remember much about that scene except it was to make Amma look precocious and John seem threatening.  It's a loose end for me.

One of Amma's entourage is Ashley's younger sister. So it's her house too (not sure if it's Jodes - the one who always got told to shut up by Amma - or the other one.)

11 hours ago, Schmolioot said:

Please

My takeaway: there were some major differences of opinion between Flynn/Marti Noxon and Jean Marc Vallee. Differences it reads to me that Flynn is soft-pedaling a little. I think I read somewhere else he and Marti Noxon got into in-your-face screaming matches on set. Interesting (tho not surprising) that the mid- and post-credits jumpcuts were mostly his instincts.

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, Beezella said:

Are there any screen grabs of the teeth on the floor?

14 hours ago, AEMom said:

I didn't read the book and I like Amy Adams. 

The ending was shit. I missed scenes in the end credits because this isn't a Marvel movie and I thought that was the end of that. 

They had so many scenes of Camille driving aimlessly and the show finished at the 50 minute mark. They couldn't use the last 10 minutes to properly finish the show?

What a disappointment. 

I read the book and also thought the ending of the show was pretty bad. I knew who the killer was and was waiting for it to play out, but it kind of just fizzled there. Putting the book aside, just from the show I wondered why no one was questioning Adora about all this. Sure, she's a sick person, but would she pull the teeth of the girls just because they're biters? That's not Adora's MO, so I was hoping someone would bring this up as they try to figure out who the real killer was.

Only none of that happened. I did like the closure between Richard and Camille. I also liked how the editor's wife clearly didn't like Amma. But that ending, for a mystery show, was incredibly lacking. It just made me think of all of the other plot holes in the show.

Also, the show teased that Amma was into Camille's rapist, but nothing happened there. Did Amma just get close to him because she figured out that he was close to Camille? If so, how did she find out?

I'm bummed that they didn't adapt the epilogue. It would have helped wrapped things up and provided some semblance of closure as oppose to "Don't tell mama."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Schmolioot said:

I can’t believe that the critics/recappers seem to have liked this. And frankly, the explanations from Valle, Noxon and Flynn just make it worse.

They still made no effort to explain what exactly triggers Amma or how she roped her friends into her plot. I mean, she’s a decent manipulator, but not that good.

Vulture LOVED it. I personally found it ridiculous but whatever. For me, SHARP OBJECTS belongs in the category of FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC. 

Vulture

interview with Jean-Marc Vallée

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Schmolioot said:

Please

She got a big head from working with Fincher years back and is still so chuffed. She needs an honest editor.

• Love 5

Yes, there are two fences, but another reason I didn't think the second one is institutional is because it's the very same fence her new friend is behind as she's falling. Why would she be in the institution?

Because she's nuts as fuck? Why wouldn't she?

I don't know; I totally lost interest when I could barely hear anything and was just responding to other posts about it being different types of barrier. I really paid little attention before people talked about it here. But I see now that someone else mentioned that the fence may have looked like two different things before and after it came into full focus (the screenshot does kind of resemble that nonlink kind of folding gate that schools sometimes have  at the end of hallways). Sounds fine to me, as does it being two different locations for the different girls.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

My reaction at the end of this episode - "Ummm... what??"

The only scene I liked in this episode is at the hospital after Richard leaves and Amma says "What a dick" and Camille starts laughing and Amma does as well.  That's probably the only genuine sisterly moment of the whole series.

Man, I want that dollhouse!!!  Well, not the teeth part, duh, but a gorgeous replica of a house. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 100Proof said:

Not sure why it was necessary for Camille to get poisoned. Amma had a poisoned system. Adora had chemicals in the house. There's your proof. Could've Camille had the police do a welfare check? Could she have convinced them to get a search warrant? Okay, so the corrupt podunk police were to inbred to take action.... what about the state police/prosecutors offices?  How is Camille getting poisoned proof? She self harms herself.  Poison could be self inflicted.

After the rescue Richard mentions that Amma's body had built a tolerance (very Flowers in the Attic, isn't it?) while Camille's hadn't and that's why Camille was so violently affected. I think that we are to take the stare down between Camille and Adora (best scene of the series, BTW) as an unspoken confrontation which went something like this:

C: I know what you did to Marion

A: What do mean?

C; You killed her!

A: And I got away with it

C: I know you're doing it to Amma too

A: Yeah? and what are you going to do about it?

C: I'm going to stop you

A: Really?

C: I'm going to stop you if it kills me!

And then Camille decided that she would put herself in danger to stop Adora from continuing to hurt Amma and to make her body evidence.

She knew the police wasn't going to do anything to Adora because Richard gave her the file, if they were going to act, they wouldn't have given her the file.  She also knew Amma wasn't going to denounce her mother because Amma basically told Camille several times that she is a willing participant of the sock relationship with Adora ("the things you let them do to you", changing her mind when Adora told her to do her own laundry, talking fondly about mama taking care of her after ahe had been out partying with her friends, etc.)

Then when she realized she was being affected way worse than she thought she would be, she asked Amma (who was already getting better) to go find Richard, knowing that VIckery might not come to her aid, but Richard would.

1 hour ago, peach said:

One of the roller skater girls was Ashley's sister, which is why Amma was using their pool.  John moved to the carriage house after Natalie's death, so, it's possible that the girls kept Natalie locked up in the carriage house (conveniently away from the main house and closed off because it was not being used) until they decided to kill her.

We know that Amma was an expert at sneaking in and out of the house late at night, after Adora and Alan were asleep.  We know there was a bit of a self imposed curfew in the town.  And we know that Amma had access to a golfcart and knew how to drive it.  It wouldn't had been difficult for the three girls (Amma and friends) to meet at 3:00 am at the carriage house and carry the body of another slim teenager to the golf cart, or to walk it to the location where it was found,  without being seen.  They know the town, they know the day/night patterns, so, they could easily pick the most convenient time and route for body disposal.

Natalie's body was found off of an alley from main street, which appears to be populated exclusively by businesses, and early in the morning.  People can say as much as they want "I would have seen it", but the truth is that very few people look down an alley when they are going about their daily business.  

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, ferjy said:

Sorry, I corrected myself later. It wasn’t the last scene, it was the one just before the white dress scene. There are a few scenes during the end credits. It’s very quick to the naked eye. You have to pause it to see them properly (daft way to present it). 

Thank you so much, I missed it :)

I didn't even mind the ending, but if they had spent half as much time on substance as they did on style this would have been a much stronger series. I recognized early on that they weren't interested in telling a cohesive narrative, it was more about artsy-fartsy flashback scenes and daydream scenes and hallucination scenes. All flash and very little fire. I guess critics love that sort of crap.

There were just too many loose threads left dangling by the end of this thing and that's not acceptable in an eight-hour series. They had all the time they needed to tell us these things but they just felt it was more important to do more flashbacks of short-haired Camille staring at the fan or something. 

What happened to Alan, did he go to jail? Surely he would have been arrested as an accomplice, as he clearly knew all along what Adora was doing. 

Pretentious piece of crap.

• Love 6

i was disappointed at the way this series was done. too much friggin diving and a rushed ending. and if you deleted the show when the credits came on you  missed important stuff, wtf!  but i read somewhere ( i don't remember seeing the scene myself) that the little murderers, amma and her friends, bragged about killing a cat. so good riddance, have fun in jail bitches. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

Did anyone else see a doll propped in the window of the room where Camille found the teeth? The same way Natalie had been propped in that window in the alley?

Yes - so creepy!!!

13 hours ago, SoWindsor said:

What was the significance of Camille noticing how Ammas new friend was eating — didn’t really get that. But it definitely seemed like Amma had killed the new friend.

My husband and I rewound and tried to see what it said but it looked like she might be a cutter too or that Camille thought she might be a cutter?  We never could see what it said.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

The only thing I found shocking about the finale was that Amma was never revealed to be Camille's biological daughter. That was the one cliche that somehow didn't get included in the script!

yeah - I kept expecting that too.  There were quite a few cliches in the miniseries.

One question I have is how to Camille get so "clean" from her alcoholism so quickly?  I get she was in the hospital awhile and I was convinced by her new demeanor that she was no longer abusing alcohol but how did she get there so quickly?  

I feel like I need to read the book.  I should say though that i loved the first half of Gone Girl and hated hated hated the ending....

• Love 4

Whats the hubbub  with this fence. Its a fence. Presumably at this closed pool where Amma strangles Mae. What's this 'institution' business.

Also, what was with Camille's focus on Mae eating? Just more pretentious baloney?  I thought maybe it was about the focus on Mae's painted fingernails in the murder 'scene', but Mae's nails weren't painted at dinner.

Okay... Mae has what looks like something written along her right hand thumb joint as well as across her wrist.

Next scene cut has Amma writing in her diary?? Hmmmmm

9 hours ago, DFWGina said:

One question I have is how to Camille get so "clean" from her alcoholism so quickly?  I get she was in the hospital awhile and I was convinced by her new demeanor that she was no longer abusing alcohol but how did she get there so quickly?

The magic of fiction

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, annlaw78 said:

You mean the physics of the girl who we abruptly and suddenly learned was being poisoned and an invalid killing someone her own size, pulling teeth, and transporting the bodies?  Which is it, show?  I agree, the “physics” research is dumb. 

I thought it was Amma and the other two girls her skating pals. Not just Amma. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Guess we have different POVs, I was never rooting for Amma, other than to stay alive.  She was hateful and manipulative.  She and her roller skating friends and that Ashley make "Mean Girls" look like Little Women. 

This made me laugh, since Eliza Scanlen is next starring in Greta Gerwig's adaptation of Little Women.  As Beth, the anti-Amma!

I look forward to whatever she does next.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Hi, I'm Camille. I just confirmed my Mom poisoned my sister to death and is poisoning my other sister now.

SO WHY THE FUCK AM I DRINKING HER MILK AND EATING HER FOOD?!?

I saw the milk on the table, knowing the ep title was "milk" and all I could think of was Cary Grant carrying that glass of milk up to his wife in the Hitchcock movie "Suspicion."  Don't drink it!!!

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

This made me laugh, since Eliza Scanlen is next starring in Greta Gerwig's adaptation of Little Women.  As Beth, the anti-Amma!

I look forward to whatever she does next.

She is very good.  It's amazing how the two younger actresses (young Camille and Amma) look so much like Amy.  I know it's acting but it's not easy immersing yourself into that kind of darkness day in and day out. 

Are there like 100 Little Women's being shot right now? I saw where Emma Watson was taking over for Emma Stone, is this the one with Meryl Streep?  Is Beth the one that dies? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I read the book and also thought the ending of the show was pretty bad. I knew who the killer was and was waiting for it to play out, but it kind of just fizzled there. Putting the book aside, just from the show I wondered why no one was questioning Adora about all this. Sure, she's a sick person, but would she pull the teeth of the girls just because they're biters? That's not Adora's MO, so I was hoping someone would bring this up as they try to figure out who the real killer was.

Only none of that happened. I did like the closure between Richard and Camille. I also liked how the editor's wife clearly didn't like Amma. But that ending, for a mystery show, was incredibly lacking. It just made me think of all of the other plot holes in the show.

Also, the show teased that Amma was into Camille's rapist, but nothing happened there. Did Amma just get close to him because she figured out that he was close to Camille? If so, how did she find out?

I'm bummed that they didn't adapt the epilogue. It would have helped wrapped things up and provided some semblance of closure as oppose to "Don't tell mama."

I didn’t notice anything between the editor’s wife and Amma. Amma seemed charming enough during those St. Louis scenes

• Love 3

I'm having trouble editing this post correctly.  Thanks to the people explaining that a roller girl was Ashley's sister.  That makes sense now.  I watched the first five or six episodes at once and then watched the rest as they came out, and the details on the companions were fuzzy.  If I had realized/remembered that, I would have leaned a lot more towards the trio being the culprits, since they had access to where Ashley found the blood.

I think that we are to take the stare down between Camille and Adora (best scene of the series, BTW) as an unspoken confrontation which went something like this:

C: I know what you did to Marion

A: What do mean?

C; You killed her!

A: And I got away with it

C: I know you're doing it to Amma too

A: Yeah? and what are you going to do about it?

C: I'm going to stop you

A: Really?

C: I'm going to stop you if it kills me!

I loved that scene so much...watching Camille penetrate Adora's dreamy bullshit expression that worked on everyone else, and seeing her realize it.  Excellent.

Edited by peach
  • Love 6