Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03 Something Beautiful

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

I guess I'll just post this here.  Because the best Trek show is DS9. 

image.png.7ed2ad104a2f89ee1661b010fa6991ea.png

LOL!

14 hours ago, Captanne said:

Gist:  Vinnie Terranova (Ken Wahl) is in jail on a small crime and is offered a deal by the FBI.  Go undercover in the Sonny Steelgrave (Ray Sharkey, RIP AIDS) organization and help us bring it down and you'll get your record expunged.  Vinnie's FBI handler was Frank McPike (Jonathan Banks)

So Jonathan Banks role was like Tim DeKay's in White Collar?

• Love 1
On 8/27/2018 at 12:48 PM, Tikichick said:

A single turn of jury duty should suffice to clue most people in regarding the utter tedium that makes up the largest proportion of the practice of law -- including the bulk of what's frequently portrayed as the pinnacle, courtroom litigation -- and including high profile criminal trials that are all over the news and most people would think would be the most riveting with high drama and emotions.   Far from the truth.

Hours, mornings, afternoons or days listening to the splitting of hairs over the minutiae of cell phone tower data, the statistical breakdowns of DNA or the precise body position of an ear or eye witness during x, y and or z moments of the crime will convince you how laughable the completely unexpected smoking gun testimony of TV and movies really is.  As for civil litigation, about 20 minutes in the courtroom will be enough to have most jurors pondering how well they might do at faking a physical ailment sufficient to trigger their being excused from service.

This is very much a tangent, but...I hope your post doesn't encourage people to get out of jury duty. The one case on which I was actually empaneled impressed on me the awesome responsibility of being a juror. A woman's life was in our hands. (It wasn't a capital case, but it was a federal embezzlement case involving an amount of jail time that would eff up anyone's life.) You're not wrong that most of the evidence involved phone company data and suchlike. But the bigger picture was the tremendous stakes involved for a human being. 

I was impressed as well by the conduct of my fellow jurors. As we began our deliberations, each of the other 11 felt the same responsibility I did to give the defendant every chance, and to only turn in a guilty verdict if the evidence compelled us to. We did, but not lightly.

Juries need people who will do this. Step up if called.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

This is very much a tangent, but...I hope your post doesn't encourage people to get out of jury duty. The one case on which I was actually empaneled impressed on me the awesome responsibility of being a juror. A woman's life was in our hands. (It wasn't a capital case, but it was a federal embezzlement case involving an amount of jail time that would eff up anyone's life.) You're not wrong that most of the evidence involved phone company data and suchlike. But the bigger picture was the tremendous stakes involved for a human being. 

I was impressed as well by the conduct of my fellow jurors. As we began our deliberations, each of the other 11 felt the same responsibility I did to give the defendant every chance, and to only turn in a guilty verdict if the evidence compelled us to. We did, but not lightly.

Juries need people who will do this. Step up if called.

If you take into context what my comment was in response to it's clear that it was about the utter drudgery of law work, including the part that TV and movie drama would have us believe is riveting, edge of our seats moments of completely unexpected, smoking gun testimony.  

It's a happy day when I see an alert jury with signs of intelligence behind their eyes.  I wish I could say that's always the case.