Type keyword(s) to search

Disenchantment - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I finally finished Season Two and my verdict was disappointing. So many plot lines started in Season One were completely ignored in Season Two. I would go so far to say that only the first 3 episodes were important for getting us back to normal and then everything else was filler. Maybe the last 2 episodes might have advanced the story line marginally, but I doubt it. The comedy was pretty weak and showed they could stretch the show out for as many seasons as Netflix is willing to pay for although I don't think many people would care to watch.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2

This season had some funny jokes and stories, but I wish that they had continued more with the bigger stories with Beans mom. They did continue to talk about it and how it affected Bean and her family, but she herself never showed up again until the last second of the last episode! We still dont even know what the prophesy that Bean is supposed to fulfill is, and if she has some kind of powers!

I am really glad they backed off of Elfo and his crush on Bean, and instead had more elf related plots for him, which was a lot more fun. I also liked getting more of Beans dweeby little brother and the Matt Berry pig. Steamland is super cool, I kind of hope that next season they see more kingdoms that are all different genres.

I liked this season better than season one, but it still feels like a show with a lot of untapped potential. 

On 9/21/2019 at 12:49 PM, AnimeMania said:

I finally finished Season Two and my verdict was disappointing. So many plot lines started in Season One were completely ignored in Season Two. I would go so far to say that only the first 3 episodes were important for getting us back to normal and then everything else was filler. Maybe the last 2 episodes might have advanced the story line marginally, but I doubt it.

I feel the same way. The first season was pretty bland to me up until the final few episodes, which blew me away. And I was really hoping that season two would be able to maintain that momentum.

And the first few episodes of season two really did meet my expectations. But once the status quo was restored, it was just filler episode after filler episode. The one about Derek and the octopus was especially weak.

I enjoy the show even when it's just filler episodes, I really do. But to wait so long for just 5 hours of entertainment, it's really disappointing when the plot goes nowhere for so much of the season.

Also, I found myself even more annoyed than the first season with the cavalcade of overly familiar voices. We'd already been subjected to Tress MacNeille's crazy old lady voice and her annoying little girly-boy voice, so naturally they had to throw in the priestess character, so that we could hear her mean old lady voice for the millionth time. There are other voice actors out there! Thank god for Matt Beery as Merkimer.

Nice shoutout by Matt G. to Game of Thrones (actually, A Song of Ice and Fire) in S2E4. Stag with the crown (House Baratheon), and Tormund f-cking the bear (HAR!). 

An excerpt, from A Clash of Kings: “It were another winter, colder even than the one I spent inside that giant, and snowing day and night, snowflakes as big as your head, not these little things. It snowed so hard the whole village was half buried. I was in me Ruddy Hall, with only a cask o’ mead to keep me company and nothing to do but drink it. The more I drank the more I got to thinking about this woman lived close by, a fine strong woman with the biggest pair of teats you ever saw. She had a temper on her, that one, but oh, she could be warm too, and in the deep of winter a man needs his warmth.
“The more I drank the more I thought about her, and the more I thought the harder me member got, till I couldn’t suffer it no more. Fool that I was, I bundled meself up in furs from head to heels, wrapped a winding wool around me face, and set off to find her. The snow was coming down so hard I got turned around once or twice, and the wind blew right through me and froze me bones, but finally I come on her, all bundled up like I was.
“The woman had a terrible temper, and she put up quite the fight when I laid hands on her. It was all I could do to carry her home and get her out o’ them furs, but when I did, oh, she was hotter even than I remembered, and we had a fine old time, and then I went to sleep. Next morning when I woke the snow had stopped and the sun was shining, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it. All ripped and torn I was, and half me member bit right off, and there on me floor was a she-bear’s pelt. And soon enough the free folk were telling tales o’ this bald bear seen in the woods, with the queerest pair o’ cubs behind her. Har!” He slapped a meaty thigh. “Would that I could find her again. She was fine to lay with, that bear. Never was a woman gave me such a fight, nor such strong sons neither.”
“What could you do if you did find her?” Jon asked, smiling. “You said she bit your member off.”
“Only half. And half me member is twice as long as any other man’s.” Tormund snorted.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 1

That was .... bland. I have to agree with everyone else who posted so far. I had to double-check, wait that wa the "finale"? You broke of in the midst of all the posts. It's a strange show in that there is a big plot that moves forward, but each episode can totally reset everything and be just about a bearwoman. I mean I watched them on the side while eating and they were good for that (you can't f.e. do that with the Good Place and all its side gags), but yeah, I wouldn't pay money to see that show. I'm probably going to watch part 3 anyways though...

I'm enjoying it so far. There's some good gags. It's not clear why the elves are living in the city (I'm on E5), but I love all the names. 

I loved the elk with the crown just standing there. All the scenes in hell were fantastic. 

I don't mind if this show is just a series of one-offs like The Simpsons. In fact that's probably the best way to keep it going. That said, since they have introduced several overarching plot points they really need to tie those up. They made a point of telling us that Elfo was only half elf, so apparently his mother wasn't an elf, but they've apparently dropped that for some reason without explanation. His father is even living there in Dreamland now, why hasn't this topic been revisited?  So yeah that does kind of bug me. 

The writing is a tad lazy, sort of like The Simpsons has become (I haven't watched that show in years). It relies a lot on visual gags like the signage around Dreamland (on store fronts, etc.). But overall it's an easy watch and I've grown sort of attached to the characters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't mind if this show is just a series of one-offs like The Simpsons. In fact that's probably the best way to keep it going. That said, since they have introduced several overarching plot points they really need to tie those up. They made a point of telling us that Elfo was only half elf, so apparently his mother wasn't an elf, but they've apparently dropped that for some reason without explanation. His father is even living there in Dreamland now, why hasn't this topic been revisited?  So yeah that does kind of bug me. 

The writing is a tad lazy, sort of like The Simpsons has become (I haven't watched that show in years). It relies a lot on visual gags like the signage around Dreamland (on store fronts, etc.). But overall it's an easy watch and I've grown sort of attached to the characters.

I mean his mum is 100% the queen ogre that helped them escape with the fruit, as they were leaving the ogre heard bean call him elfo and the ogre was all like “elfo!??!?” - and the whole reason they knew where to get the fruit was because elfo’s dad said he went there and saw it

Edited by Al D
  • Useful 2

After years of other shows, the simpsons, futurama, this is familiar and relaxing to me. You know, and likable. I’m happy watching indefinitely, but Netflix seems to cut off shows at three years, so I don’t have a lot of faith in the longevity of this show. Luci no longer being immortal interests me. Luci is becoming a real person, guys. Yay, Luci. Anyway, I enjoyed the season. 

Slowly making my way through the second half of the season and it is definitely grabbing me a lot more than the first half. The episode where the Elves get poisoned by the dirty water was hilarious. Plus the elf names will never not be funny. I think my favourite so far has been Annoy-o.

• LOL 1

I hope we can go to Steamland again, it looks really cool. I wonder if there are actually lots of different lands that are all different genres? This show is really fun, I really want to know where all of these secrets and conspiracy's are going, it seems like we haven't gotten many answers, just more questions and plot threads. Is Steamland going to come to try and get Dreamlands natural magic resources? What is the curse on Beans family? Is the conspiracy just trying to take over or do they have other plans? 

There are so many rapid fire jokes in the background, I end up having to re-watch a lot of scenes to get them all. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed this season more than the previous one.

First and foremost, I was completely entranced by the Bean/Mora romance. I'd never given Bean's love life a second thought before this season, but oh man did they have chemistry! Meredith Hagner has the perfect voice for a seductive mermaid, and the whole sequence in mermaid world was mesmerizing. I was very disappointed we didn't see Mora again by the end of the season.

I loved Bean and Oona getting along and doing drugs together, as well. 

Steamland was very fun, and visually brilliant. I liked Elfo's adventures there - stealing clothes from a gay bathhouse, then becoming addicted to stealing wallets, and joining the League of Gallivanting Scrutinizers. (God, I wish that was a real thing.)

On the negative side, Luci was a total afterthought until the end of the final episode. And I am sick to death of Tress MacNeille doing the voices of all these small characters. How many times do we need to hear her "mean lady" voice or her "old lady" voice? (They aren't even all that different.) When I heard Sagatha speak, I was ready to throw something at my TV. Give some other voice actor a chance, please!

I haven't found the trio of Odval, the Archdruidess, and Sorcerio to be particularly funny or interesting. Dagmar and Alva are much better villains.

Edited by Blakeston

Finished the season last night and really liked it. The episode on the boat and the one where Bean realizes she is basically running Dreamland were amazing.

Zog's crazy sounds were really funny and I liked the gag about how he was the last of his line and his brother was Yog. I also liked how they used Oona. 

I am ok with the constant one adventure/mystery being thrown on another since that seems to be how Bean's life works. How she kept losing her boot was funny. 

Nice use of the background characters too like Merkimer and Tervish. Not enough elf name jokes though. I mean we saw Shock-o and Leav-o and Rule-o. Although there was a good joke in the store next to the bottomless cliff about not accepting checks from scam-o. 

Disenchantment: Matt Groening Expects More Seasons, and a Proper Ending

Matt Groening wants to tell more Disenchantment tales, but he's still waiting to hear back from Netflix on the show's fate for future seasons.

Although there are only three parts available to stream on Netflix, Groening gave fans hope for seven additional parts.

"We have an ending we're really happy with." The creator added, "There [are] a million plot threads and character and story arcs."

(This is not what I wanted to hear, there are already to many loose ends and characters.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Disenchantment: Matt Groening Expects More Seasons, and a Proper Ending

Matt Groening wants to tell more Disenchantment tales, but he's still waiting to hear back from Netflix on the show's fate for future seasons.

Although there are only three parts available to stream on Netflix, Groening gave fans hope for seven additional parts.

"We have an ending we're really happy with." The creator added, "There [are] a million plot threads and character and story arcs."

(This is not what I wanted to hear, there are already to many loose ends and characters.)

Didn't they already announce Part 4?  After the first two parts aired, I thought it was said we would get a Part 3 and Part 4.  When he says "fate for future seasons" is that saying Part 4 is no longer confirmed?

• Love 1

Ten 30 minute episodes.

The misadventures of hard-hitting, hard-drinking Queen Bean, her feisty elf companion Elfo and her personal demon Luci return and deepen in Part IV of Matt Groening's comedy fantasy series Disenchantment. The mystery of Dreamland's origins - and the stakes for its future - become ever clearer as our trio - and King Zøg - find themselves on personal journeys that will ultimately tie in to the kingdom's fate. Separated at the end of Part III, our heroes race to reunite in this sweeping series of ten episodes. They'll find themselves everywhere from the depths of Hell to the clouds of Heaven and everywhere in between, including Ogreland, Steamland, underwater, monasteries, insane asylums, the Enchanted Forest, the Dreamscape and more. All the while, puzzle pieces both canonical and personal will reveal themselves to eager fans.

word-image-35.jpeg

ep_220_bean_kissing_luci_color_400_rgb-1

1056401-ep217usflavoredwatercouplecolor4

Edited by AnimeMania
On 1/31/2022 at 3:46 PM, AnimeMania said:

Ten 30 minute episodes.

The misadventures of hard-hitting, hard-drinking Queen Bean, her feisty elf companion Elfo and her personal demon Luci return and deepen in Part IV of Matt Groening's comedy fantasy series Disenchantment. The mystery of Dreamland's origins - and the stakes for its future - become ever clearer as our trio - and King Zøg - find themselves on personal journeys that will ultimately tie in to the kingdom's fate. Separated at the end of Part III, our heroes race to reunite in this sweeping series of ten episodes. They'll find themselves everywhere from the depths of Hell to the clouds of Heaven and everywhere in between, including Ogreland, Steamland, underwater, monasteries, insane asylums, the Enchanted Forest, the Dreamscape and more. All the while, puzzle pieces both canonical and personal will reveal themselves to eager fans.

word-image-35.jpeg

ep_220_bean_kissing_luci_color_400_rgb-1

1056401-ep217usflavoredwatercouplecolor4

I need some silliness. 

Disenchantment: Part 4      February 9     Netflix

Episode Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: Love Is Hell
In hell, Bean resists Dagmar's attempts to force her to marry Satan. Meanwhile, Luci plots to flee heaven and Elfo tries to escape from the ogres.

S01.E02: The Good, The Bad, and the Bum-Bum
Bean, Jerry and Luci commandeer an airship from Alva. Held captive by the ogres, Elfo discovers an entire family history he knew nothing about.

S01.E03: The Cabinet of Dr. Chazzzzz
Zøg is institutionalized with Chazzzzz, while Vip and Vap launch an epic rescue. Bean doesn't get the warm reception she expects at Dreamland.

S01.E04: Goon Baby Goon
Bean and her friends are reunited with Zøg and discover that Becky and Cloyd have seized Dreamland, secretly transforming its citizens into goons.

S01.E05: The Pitter-Patter of Little Feet
After Sorcerio brings Freckles to life, the wooden puppet sets out to undermine Zøg with a comedy roast and an alliance with Becky and Cloyd.

S01.E06: What to Expect When You're Expecting Parasites
Zøg, Bean and her friends plunge into the ocean, where they find a submerged castle inhabited by Sea Trøgs guarding a treasure linked to the Elves.

S01.E07: The Unbearable Lightning of Bean
Lonely Zøg searches the forest for his true love, Ursula the Bear, who's got a secret. Elfo, Luci and Bean stumble upon the site of an ancient battle.

S01.E08: Spy Vs. Spy Vs. Spy
Ordered to spy on the elves, Elfo is captured and forced to spy on the Trøgs — who see through his disguise and return him to spy on the humans.

S01.E09: The Goo-Bye Girl
Freckles manipulates Derek and Bear Boy into confronting some bullies. The secret of the goo is out but who will drink it to become the savior?

S01.E10: Bean Falls Apart
In her dreams, Bean confronts her inner "Bad Bean," but the evil doppelgänger conceals a sinister plot. Derek, Bear Boy and Freckles get captured.

Hulu has ordered 20 new episodes of Futurama, the adult animated sci-fi comedy series. Original series cast members Billy West, Katey Sagal, Tress MacNeille, Maurice LaMarche, Lauren Tom, Phil LaMarr and David Herman will all return. John DiMaggio, who voiced Bender and several minor characters, is not currently attached.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:28 AM, AnimeMania said:

S01.E01: Love Is Hell

Funny Monty Python joke with the organ.

No cats in heaven!  And there were cats draped over things in hell. 

Edited by Affogato

I'm on E1. I liked the suave devil being put upon by Bean. (I was hoping for a robot devil easter egg.)
I did like all the people Bean killed being at the wedding. 

I did like Jerry's existential questions in heaven. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

E2 - The navigation dial on the big zeppelin that Bean hijacked had - Dankmire, New Cremorrah, Dullsville, Naked City, Twinkletown, Oxnard. 

I liked Elfo's backstory (and the dog). The gnomes crack me up because they're even smaller than Elfo, but have weapons. 

Elfo's family backstory was actually nice. 

• Love 1

The castle under the sea was grooooossssss. Bean 'covering her holes' was a great sight gag. 

Oona is such a great character. Is rescue? Let's go!

I'm very confused about Jasper. The whole forest scene was sad even with the bunny party. 
It looked like the elves v humans isn't exactly what everyone thinks it is from Bean's vision.  

• Love 1