Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

Arrowverse Crossover Casts Grimm’s Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane

I can feel the hate building already...

(For the record, I never had a problem with Bitsie Tullich on Grimm, but I was definitely in the minority).

Edited by Maelstrom
included link for clarity
  • Love 3
Just now, Maelstrom said:

I can feel the hate building already...

(For the record, I never had a problem with Bitsie Tullich on Grimm, but I was definitely in the minority).

Same here.  I liked Juliette, and was pretty pissed at what the show did to her, but yeah, definitely a minority opinion.

I remember seeing speculation that they would cast a younger actress for Lois, but Tulloch is 37, six years older than Tyler Hoechlin.  I mean, I don’t have a problem with that at all, but it’s definitely not CW-normal.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Same here.  I liked Juliette, and was pretty pissed at what the show did to her, but yeah, definitely a minority opinion.

I remember seeing speculation that they would cast a younger actress for Lois, but Tulloch is 37, six years older than Tyler Hoechlin.  I mean, I don’t have a problem with that at all, but it’s definitely not CW-normal.

Yeah, the anti-Juliette sentiment was so, let's say pervasive, that it drove me away from two Grimm boards and the online fandom in general. And don't even get me started on the whole "let's randomly turn her into a hexenbiest 'cause of reasons" mess. Ugh.

I agree, it is surprising that they cast her for Lois simply because of the age difference. Not that I have much (or any) interest in watching the crossover without the Legends. *sniff*

• Love 3

Here’s hoping there’s not much crossover between Grimm and the Arrowverse. I also liked Juliette a lot so I’m fine with this casting. It also has me thinking that Lois will have a more substantial role than I thought since she’s going to be somewhat recognizable. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Grimm’s Juliette will be the Arrowverse’s Lois Lane.

Arrowverse Crossover Casts Grimm’s Elizabeth Tulloch as Lois Lane

Oh...oh no. 

Unfortunately for me, I remember Bitsie Tulloch as a very, very bland actress when I watched Grimm. I hope it was just the writing that made her godawful on Grimm or else I'm not going to be very happy to see her as Lois. 

For the record, I liked Juliette as a character for about three seasons. The majority of it was the writing, but I also put some blame on Bitsie for not being a strong enough actress to combat the shitty character arc she was given. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I guess it makes sense for Lois to be older if she’s supposed to be a contemporary of Cat Grant.  (I’m not sure exactly how old Cat is supposed to be.)

Cat's got an adult son (the former Mr. Benoist) so somewhere in her 40s is a reasonable estimate for her supposed age.  I could see Lois being a few years younger if she jumped straight to news while Cat did her time working up from gossip columns. 

As for the actress being older than Hoechlin, Amy Adams is older than Henry Cavill so it's hardly unprecedented.  As mentioned above it's very un-CW, but she's not going to be a regular so maybe the usual rules don't apply.

• Love 3

I'm a bit out of the loop here because I had no idea Stephen's wife was an actress.

Not familiar with the actress for Lois but I liked that they picked a woman in her late 30s. Hopefully she's good in the role because by looking at her she's someone I can picture as Lois.

• Love 1

According to the article Mr Freeze will not be in the crossover, so this could be pre-coma Nora or post-coma Nora (in the DCAU she recovered).  Or perhaps a small part in a flashback as an Easter Egg.

I would actually respect SA if he just came out and said yup, they cast my wife as a favor to me.  Anyone who thinks Hollywood doesn't work that way is either hopelessly naive or a complete idiot.

My guess is she'll be her coma.  That's what she's famous for and this also gets around Cass having to act.  She may have talent but I'm guessing not since this was done as a favor to Amell.  When the group gathers in Gotham I would expect to see a bunch of Batverse Easter Eggs and a Nora still in her coma would be one of them. 

• Love 1

Did they get multi-entertainment site and DC Comics announcements for those appearances, though?  Seems like a lot of press coverage for a minor role and the casting of someone without a particularly high profile acting resume. 

6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh...oh no. 

Unfortunately for me, I remember Bitsie Tulloch as a very, very bland actress when I watched Grimm. I hope it was just the writing that made her godawful on Grimm or else I'm not going to be very happy to see her as Lois. 

For the record, I liked Juliette as a character for about three seasons. The majority of it was the writing, but I also put some blame on Bitsie for not being a strong enough actress to combat the shitty character arc she was given. 

It was the writing.  I've seen her in other roles and she was much better..  The writing on Grimm was universally bad (at least after about season 2 or so) and, for some reason, her character was even more badly written than the rest.

6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Same. She couldn't overcome the writing and the other actors around elevated the same poor writing esp s3 to s5.

6 hours ago, Starry said:

I'm a bit out of the loop here because I had no idea Stephen's wife was an actress.

Not familiar with the actress for Lois but I liked that they picked a woman in her late 30s. Hopefully she's good in the role because by looking at her she's someone I can picture as Lois.

I think she (Bitsie) was cast because she looks the part. She's not the worst actress as long as they don't try to make her do any heavy lifting. And that's about as much as you can hope for with a CW show.  She has a tendency to be a bit blank with her expression and this from someone that liked Juliet until she turned into a monster, torched the trailer, and killed his mom. That's kind of impossible to fully come back from.

Still, I can imagine her pulling off running around and doing some investigating stuff.  She can pull off "seriously thinking" about something, lol.  

As for SA's wife, well, she's not really an actress.  More an aspiring actress that has had a few bit parts that were not memorable.  I just hope they write to her skill level, whatever that turns out to be.  With how crowded the crossover is getting, I'm currently hoping she's asleep for most of it.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

My guess is she'll be her coma.  That's what she's famous for and this also gets around Cass having to act.

She hasn’t been in much, but I’ve seen it all. I think it’d be for the best if her part is small - at her best, she’s been bad even by the lowest CW standards. Maybe she’s improved? IDK

As for Lois Lane, I’m not familiar with the actress, but I’m excited for the crossover!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Proteus said:

I loved her on Grimm so I'm happy with this news. I hated how Juliette was thrown under the bus for Adalind. Bitsie posted this emotional message about being cast:

Bitsie's spot-on description of Lois Lane (despite the ridiculous obsession with spying out Superman's secret identity and trapping him into marrying her so that she would have the glory of being "Mrs. Superman" that dominated Lois's character from about 1955 through about 1970) is exactly why I need to have Lois interact with both Iris West-Allen and Kara Danvers during this cross-over.  She needs to school both women on how to do their day jobs as reporters.  Iris and Kara, pay close attention to this woman -- and take notes!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5

Never watched Grimm but I have enough friends who did that I know all about the Juliette hate. Can’t say I’m excited to see her. Even less excited to see Mrs. Amell cast. I hope those upthread who mentioned coma are correct. What I’ve seen of her  “acting” is quite cringe-worthy. I hope she’s mostly just an Easter egg, but the casting as announced so i’m doubtful. 

Just from the casting, I have a feeling this crossover is going to equal or surpass the Dominators invasion in its horribleness. I can feel it in my bones ?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

It seems like it's getting crowded on paper but I don't think it will be that crowded in practice.

I hope you’re right. But then I think about how it’s only September and we’ll probably get more casting news in the next few weeks at the very least. 

Plus the crossover is only 3 episodes this year. Sure, LoT isn’t in it, but I don’t see why they have to bring in as many new characters as make up the Legends team to fill that hole, which is what it’s starting to feel like. And again, with one less episode. 

As for the casting, I’m one of the few who liked Juliette and didn’t mind BT’s acting for the most part (but hated what they did to her character and the relationships on Grimm, so I mostly blamed the writing, not her acting). I just don’t know if I can see her and TH together, you know? Hoping their first scene together proves me wrong. 

And I’m honestly not sure how I feel about SA’s wife getting cast. I don’t remember her on Mad Men. I do remember her on ANTM. Maybe she’ll surprise me and be good.

Honestly? I just hope they don’t have another Earth’s version of Oliver connected to Mrs. Freeze in any way because I know they likely wouldn’t do that if she wasn’t playing the character. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

And I’m honestly not sure how I feel about SA’s wife getting cast. I don’t remember her on Mad Men

She was a model Joyce brought in to meet Peggy. She was only in the one scene. Unless she’s improved greatly, I think there’s a reason why she’s only ever gotten minor speaking/non-speaking parts. 

• Love 1

Here are the Deadline reports on the latest casting news (Deadline refers to Nora Fries as a "supervillain")...

Elizabeth Tulloch Cast As Lois Lane In the CW’s DC Superhero Crossover
by Denise Petski and Geoff Boucher  September 14, 2018 
https://deadline.com/2018/09/elizabeth-tulloch-cast-lois-lane-the-cws-dc-superhero-crossover-superman-the-flash-arrow-supergirl-1202464757/

Cassandra Jean Amell To Play Nora Fries In The CW’s Arrowverse Crossover
by Denise Petski  September 14, 2018
https://deadline.com/2018/09/cassandra-jean-amell-nora-fries-cws-arrowverse-crossover-1202464921/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So far, the only things I'm kinda looking forward to are potential Lois/Kara/Iris interaction, and maybe Clark/James and Iris/James interaction. But this universe thinks people's day jobs are a low priority, so I gotta keep expectations low. I'm between neutral to 'meh' on Batwoman.

• Love 3

From Tyler Hoechlin panel at Heroes & Villains FanFest-New Jersey on Sep. 9 - he talked about Lois Lane debuting in the crossover, beginning at around the 13:00 mark and again at around the 25:00 mark...

Superman : Tyler Hoeghlin[sic] HVFF New Jersey 2018
Published on Sep 12, 2018, by Fan Fest

Mod: "The annual crossover event, we're going to not only see Superman act together with Supergirl, but also for the first time, Arrow, The Flash, and - you brought it up, you know, Lois & Clark, I loved that TV show too. You're finally going to get your Lois Lane! How exciting is that?"
TH: "It's awesome, man. It's awesome. I've been told there's no way we'll be seen on camera together, um - I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I have no idea. I know nothing about it. I don’t know who it is yet. I don't know what the storyline is yet. Um, but it’s obviously - it's really exciting to have a lot of these new characters pop into this one. And it's going to be - I mean, the crossover has always been a huge event, but it seems like a lot of new characters coming into them for the first time this time. So, it should be a lot of fun."

Fan: "So I haven't had my Lois Lane moment when I ask Superman a question. Um, and speaking of Lois, they share a lot of, um, iconic moments between, like, the interview, um, flying, and, like, you know, him handing her his glasses. Is there anything like that that you're hoping you can do during the crossover?"
TH: "Um. It's so - it's so weird because I - we don’t know exactly where in the relationship they are. Um, but it's obviously - you know, our world is one where Superman's been around for awhile. So I would assume the relationship is past that part of it. Um, so I don't know. There's so many things that could come up in it, that I think - for me right now, um, also bouncing around on a couple of  other projects, my mind's so scattered. I'm trying to just leave it open, as opposed to hoping for, like, a specific thing. Uh, I think I just - I'm very much excited for whatever is presented. So I'm kinda going into it just very open-minded. So whatever I see on the page, I'm just kinda like, 'Yes. Great. Awesome. Let's make this as cool as it can be.'"

Edited by tv echo

I generally like Superman and Lois Lane (Smallville the exception) so I'm trying to look forward to watching them since it really is sounding like the characters I normally am tuning in to watch won't get much play, more just the leads.  I do like Oliver but Oliver is never that interesting to me without his people interacting with him and while Barry and Oliver can be a fun dynamic, I wasn't impressed with Oliver and Kara.  Batwoman sounds too similar to him for there to be much byplay. 

I would like to see Oliver and Clark but I suspect Supes will be limited overall and since they brought in Lois Lane, I suspect she'll take up a lot of his time.  Which isn't a bad thing, just means that the crossover isn't likely to be the kind that I like the most.  (Where all my established favs get to mix and mingle rather than a bunch of new characters getting the focus.) I hated the one that set up the Hawks and Vandal Savage.  Waaaay too much time spent characters I didn't care about.  I can't help think that's what could happen this year too.  But I'm trying to cling to the good.  Supes has popped in enough that I know I will enjoy him at least.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I love him. He may be the reason I actually watch the crossover since the only show I watch live Is Arrow. I'm way behind on The Flash and Supergirl. I've been undecided on rather or not to watch. 

Edited by tarotx
6 hours ago, tarotx said:

I love him. He may be the reason I actually watch the crossover since the only show I watch live Is Arrow. I'm way behind on The Flash and Supergirl. I've been undecided on rather or not to watch. 

I have a feeling that the crossover will have very little to do with what's going on with probably any of the current storylines on the shows, maybe a bit more with Arrow since they keep saying Batwoman is being introduced on Arrow.  

• Love 3
10 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I have a feeling that the crossover will have very little to do with what's going on with probably any of the current storylines on the shows, maybe a bit more with Arrow since they keep saying Batwoman is being introduced on Arrow.  

True; the only thing you really needed going into Crisis on Earth-X was that Barry and Iris were getting married, and even that was explained in the beginning of the story so you just had to be prepared to roll with it.

But here's the thing: John Deegan sounds an AWFUL LOT like "John Dee," the real name of a potent Justice League foe named Doctor Destiny.  Doctor Destiny can attack people through their dreams.

Supergirl is introducing Dreamer this year.

Dream fight????????

• Love 1

Here are the THR and Deadline reports on the Jeremy Davies casting...

The CW's DC Crossover Finds Its Villain in 'Lost' Alum
Lesley Goldberg   SEPTEMBER 20, 2018
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cws-dc-crossover-finds-villain-lost-alum-1145815

‘Arkham Asylum’s New Face: Jeremy Davies Cast As Dr. Deegan In Arrowverse Crossover
Geoff Boucher  September 20, 2018
https://deadline.com/2018/09/arrowverse-crossover-jeremy-davies-arkham-asylum-dr-john-deegan-casting-1202468506/

Edited by tv echo

Nothing new here, but TVLine has a round-up of crossover news in annoying gallery format: https://tvline.com/2018/09/22/arrowverse-crossover-spoilers-2018-batwoman-gotham-superman/

What I did find interesting was Matt's reply to a comment:

dansue says:

September 22, 2018 at 4:52 PM

Am I totally out of touch with tv ratings, or does November sweeps not matter to the CW? I would think they’d want the boost the crossover gives to Arrow and Supergirl during November like previous years.

Matt Webb Mitovich says:

September 22, 2018 at 4:55 PM

It’d have to air two weeks sooner, at least, which is too soon into the season to interrupt each show’s brand-new storylines. Plus, there’s a production/logistics reason it can’t be done much earlier.

12 hours ago, Trini said:

Nothing new here, but TVLine has a round-up of crossover news in annoying gallery format: https://tvline.com/2018/09/22/arrowverse-crossover-spoilers-2018-batwoman-gotham-superman/

What I did find interesting was Matt's reply to a comment:

I think they definitely didn't want to have Flash #100 in the middle of the crossover like what happened with Arrow in Invasion. That's the previous week.

10 hours ago, Trini said:

They seem blind to the possibility that this Gotham could be on Earth 38.

• Love 1
On 9/23/2018 at 8:07 AM, MarkHB said:

They seem blind to the possibility that this Gotham could be on Earth 38.

On 9/23/2018 at 12:33 PM, Trini said:

Yeah, Supergirl has had more Gotham and Batman mentions than the other shows.

I think it’d make sense for Gotham to be on Earth 38. But I thought in the original crossover announcement they said Arrow would be bringing Batwoman in. And last season they did confirm that Bruce Wayne exists on Earth 1.