Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E03: Leave It All on the Dance Floor

Taralightner
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, kerrieway said:

I rewatched and you're right, that was Kelli's exact wording. I'm always willing to listen to the voice of reason so I looked up the Star grand opening at it appears it was March 29 - April 1. That's only about a month before tryouts and IMO would have still been fresh in Kelli's mind, especially with the Joneses there. I'm good with the tardiness explanation for these two big events under these circumstances. Do I think Keyra would have been cut for tardiness (even though it seems more and more like it was deserved) if they weren't a new group of black TCC who could replace her? Now I'd have to say no. Because of your post I went to the DCC Squad photos and have to concede that there are 1 or 2 years from 2010 - present that there were only 2 or 3 black girls on the team. This leads me to believe that Kelli would've recommended Keyra be cut regardless. Thank you for your post.

It's all good. I agree with that 100% about cutting Keyra. They absolutely waited to see if/how easily they could replace her. It was her bad luck that Ashlee, Briana, and Malena showed up this year.

• Love 3

Anyone else catch the secondary scoring method used during the final selection? (In case Yes No Maybe was too confusing lol)

Kelli and Judy mentioned "check plus" and "check minus" - so I guess each girl already has a check by her name, and the panel just needs to add + or - ?

Didn't think it was possible to make Yes No Maybe look complicated but this show never fails to surprise me :)

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, Bnlhockey said:

Anyone else catch the secondary scoring method used during the final selection? (In case Yes No Maybe was too confusing lol)

Kelli and Judy mentioned "check plus" and "check minus" - so I guess each girl already has a check by her name, and the panel just needs to add + or - ?

Didn't think it was possible to make Yes No Maybe look complicated but this show never fails to surprise me :)

that made me crack up every time someone said it. I'd taken it to mean, 'she can do it, but on the lower end for me' sort of like if you're check minus you're ' on the bubble' and then check plus girls get through first and then they go through the check minus ones if there are slots left

51 minutes ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

I know but her kick stuck out to me because she was so close to the camera 

i think it was likely edited to look that way to fit the narrative they were going with

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Bnlhockey said:

Don't forget, Victoria had two check marks next to her name during semis

3 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

Can you share if she was well liked on the team? If not, that’s ok!

I always wonder, when the girls retire - do they go their various social media accounts and "unfriend" or "unfollow"?  Or do they just come on here with a fake name and spill the tea:)  That would be my choice.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, kerrieway said:

I rewatched and you're right, that was Kelli's exact wording. I'm always willing to listen to the voice of reason so I looked up the Star grand opening at it appears it was March 29 - April 1. That's only about a month before tryouts and IMO would have still been fresh in Kelli's mind, especially with the Joneses there. I'm good with the tardiness explanation for these two big events under these circumstances. Do I think Keyra would have been cut for tardiness if they weren't a new group of black TCC who could replace her? Now I'd have to say yes. Because of your post I went to the DCC Squad photos and have to concede that there are 1 or 2 years from 2010 - present that there were only 2 or 3 black girls on the team. This leads me to believe that Kelli would've recommended Keyra be cut regardless. Thank you for your post.

The Star didn’t open until March 29th?  Huh?   Weren’t the DCC using it almost all last season - which would have been May - September.   So the DCC got in there a full 6 months before the grand opening?

If so, that changes the timeline of Keyra’s lateness - it also makes it a lot easier for them to cut her or talk to her and say don’t bother trying out next month.  

Edited by MyFavShows
39 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

The Star didn’t open until March 29th?  Huh?   Weren’t the DCC using it almost all last season - which would have been May - September.   So the DCC got in there a full 6 months before the grand opening?

If so, that changes the timeline of Keyra’s lateness - it also makes it a lot easier for them to cut her or talk to her and say don’t bother trying out next month.  

I thought the same thing.  It was the grand opening of the Entertainment District at the Star.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, 8dallas said:

I can understand kerya getting eliminated for being unprofessional..however they seem to pick and choose how strict some of the rules. Aussie Angela was late to everything...everything

And you know this...how?

• Love 3

I just had time to finish watching the episode and it reminded me of how freaking cool maddie's solo is!! I remember watching it in May and being blown away – here's the link if anyone wants to watch (for the first time or again!)

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, sunwave said:

I just had time to finish watching the episode and it reminded me of how freaking cool maddie's solo is!! I remember watching it in May and being blown away – here's the link if anyone wants to watch (for the first time or again!)

I liked her solo because it was different. I,m sure there weren't many hip-hip solos in the bunch of 80+ candidates. That made her stand out and memorable. 

And I like her blue Vans...

• Love 8
5 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Rewatching that made me realize how much better it is with the actual music she was dancing to, rather than what the show played 

The music the show picked to play with Maddie’s solo was awful, they did a bad job because it did not go with her movements at all and you have no idea why people are dancing along. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, sunwave said:

Her solo is beyond on ? loved seeing it again! Thanks for posting!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, 8dallas said:

I can understand kerya getting eliminated for being unprofessional..however they seem to pick and choose how strict some of the rules. Aussie Angela was late to everything...everything

I don't know anything about Angela being late but when she tried out for show group, Kelli spoke against her because Angela had turned down appearances that weren't high visibility events and  Kelli didn't think she should get the glamorous show group gig. 

Yes and of course Kelli chooses how strict the rules are for some girls vs others, she's biased, the Kalina discussion in the forum, putting Danielle back on the team and countless other examples are evidence of that. Had Keyra been a favorite she would have stayed on the team, period, whether she deserved to be let go because of tardiness or not. 

Thankfully Kelli doesn't have many favorites who break the rules i.e. Jinelle was an angel so she doesn't appear as biased as I suspect she is.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Cali girl said:

Ok I just saw something very confusing on Twitter. I can't talk about it here though. It's a major spoiler!  Is there a spoiler thread on here? I need to talk to somebody about this because I'm so confused. The show said one thing then I just saw something that's quite the opposite!

Did you go on the spoilers page? I am asking because I am dying to know what it is! ????

So when Carsten graduates from med school, what title would she have, if any? Can she use the term MD? Her history says she’d use it even if she didn’t technically earn it, but still. 

Even if for whatever reason she doesn’t find a residency in the US (which I doubt since she’s very well connected) can she still use that degree? There are a zillion jobs out there that require the medical knowledge earned in med school but wouldn’t require a residency. So she could still make bank, call herself a doctor but not actually be a doctor in the sense that we’re thinking. And certainly couldn’t be a surgeon. 

That said, last one in the class at the very worst ranked school that still manages to graduate is still a doctor ?‍♀️ Always things to think about when we’re getting our very expensive health care!!

• Love 1
On 8/17/2018 at 4:30 PM, hypeman said:

So Keyra is the new Jenna. Where all kinds of unsubstantiated theories that paint her in the worst light are concocted hourly.

I wholeheartedly concur. And tangentially, I present Cersten and her “attitude”, who barely had any speaking time on CMT. Hmmm...

• Love 6

No offense, but just because Cersten was not speaking much on the show does not mean she does not have an attitude problem behind the scenes. Actions and words can be completely different when she is around others in the DCC World and the real world. 99.9% of the time the girls say things on the show because they believe this is what CMT, the average viewer and fans and of course Kelli, Judy and Charlotte want to hear.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, bigskygirl said:

I do remember someone on here saying Erica and Cersten thought they were hot stuff while they were on the team.

I'll never criticize anyone for thinking highly of their abilities, especially when they have the capacity to back it up.

Apparently, I'm alone in this, but mealy mouthed, fake humility is so much worse than confidence.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, hypeman said:

I'll never criticize anyone for thinking highly of their abilities, especially when they have the capacity to back it up.

Apparently, I'm alone in this, but mealy mouthed, fake humility is so much worse than confidence.

true, and I cannot stand fake humility all 'oooh who me?' BUT there is also a super fine line between confidence in your abilities and arrogance. arrogance is as much of a turnoff as fake humility to me

• Love 10
19 hours ago, sATL said:

Wow... been following along reading... enlightening discussion....

I too know of kiddies who are now considering applying to medical school. As a parent, family friend or by-stander, I am so proud to hear the ambition of a college student wanting to keep going with their education and reach a dream - that yes, some have had for a long time. I feel the same way about law school, dental, MBA. Mstr of Ed, etc.  What happened to the DCC ( I think she was a veteran) who had a 4.0 last year?

According to wiki (leave it alone) " There are currently 141 accredited MD-granting institutions and 34 accredited DO-granting institutions" in the US ( link ) .Now did I expect Cersten to go to : Harvard-Stanford-Johns Hopkins-Univ of California-Univ of Pennsylvania-Columbia-Duke (top 6 according to a list)  - no sorry. I think if she had that kind of ambition she wouldn't have the time to be a DCC. Actually, I doubt if she had the time to be a LSU Tiger girl - JR/SR year. Dancing just seemed so important to her.

However - that does leave 169 schools  - I almost fainted when I heard - that she only applied to ONE SCHOOL.  WTH? Who does that ? Even a person who graduates from medical school #169 - is a bond a fide US trained Doctor. That means something - if the plan is to practice in this country. The two students I am following closely applied to 15 schools each. They took an expensive (and time consuming) MCAT prep course in addition to carrying a full JR-yr heavy science load. And summers were spent doing medical things - not learning 30 dances from 6p-7p to midnight.

yes, she can dance - but there come a time when as an adult you have to make a decision and focus. you can't do everything all of the time. If her MCAT was low - focus and take it again. She did make it sound she waited to take the thing 1.5 yrs into being a DCC.

I wish her the best with Mexico and hopes it works out for her. I don't share her story of how/why/ she made that choice. Sorry , boo-boo.

I actually applied to only one school for undergrad..because that's the one I wanted to go to out of all my options. Lol I don't understand the big fuss. Granted, there are many more of those than medical schools.

13 hours ago, 8dallas said:

Agree.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, kerrieway said:

I don't know anything about Angela being late but when she tried out for show group, Kelli spoke against her because Angela had turned down appearances that weren't high visibility events and  Kelli didn't think she should get the glamorous show group gig. 

Yes and of course Kelli chooses how strict the rules are for some girls vs others, she's biased, the Kalina discussion in the forum, putting Danielle back on the team and countless other examples are evidence of that. Had Keyra been a favorite she would have stayed on the team, period, whether she deserved to be let go because of tardiness or not. 

Thankfully Kelli doesn't have many favorites who break the rules i.e. Jinelle was an angel so she doesn't appear as biased as I suspect she is.

Yep, that’s the cold heart truth. Keyra’s biggest error wasn’t that she was tardy (though that’s a big error in DCC world), but that she was tardy while not also being a favorite. She wasn’t someone who could give them a reason to cut her and still make it, and she gave them a reason...  Add in that some really pretty woc showed up to auditions this year, and her fate was sealed. It is what it is. DCC isn’t first organization that has different standards for different people and certainly won’t be the last. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

And you know this...how?

I used to work events for the Sports world here in Dallas and Angela was always late when we had the DCC in the program/event. mostly her 4th and final season she just seemed burnt out yet they kept her.

• Love 4

I know we all know they don't always show the candidates being called into training camp in order. But I'm rewatching season 10 and when Kelli announces Maddie as the last person called, Lacey is clearly in a row or 2 behind her. Talk about poor editing 

53 minutes ago, Stephieg84 said:

I know we all know they don't always show the candidates being called into training camp in order. But I'm rewatching season 10 and when Kelli announces Maddie as the last person called, Lacey is clearly in a row or 2 behind her. Talk about poor editing 

It's easy to see this stuff if you re-watch the episodes, cause by now you know who the girls are and can recognize them in the audience.  But I would say they do this every season.  I think it's ridiculous for Kelli to announce how many girls are left when you know that the order is switched around.  The last one called, though, is usually the real last one called for dramatic effect or to play mind games.

5 hours ago, kalibean said:

So when Carsten graduates from med school, what title would she have, if any? Can she use the term MD? Her history says she’d use it even if she didn’t technically earn it, but still. 

Even if for whatever reason she doesn’t find a residency in the US (which I doubt since she’s very well connected) can she still use that degree? There are a zillion jobs out there that require the medical knowledge earned in med school but wouldn’t require a residency. So she could still make bank, call herself a doctor but not actually be a doctor in the sense that we’re thinking. And certainly couldn’t be a surgeon. 

That said, last one in the class at the very worst ranked school that still manages to graduate is still a doctor ?‍♀️ Always things to think about when we’re getting our very expensive health care!!

She’s going to an osteopathic school, so will be a D.O. She can be called doctor when she graduates. MD and DO are both legit and can get the same residencies. I actually like the DO’s holistic approach better - treat the cause not just the symptoms.

I think the side eye towards Cersten comes from her falsifying her former jobs and having no remorse when asked to explain or change it. 

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

It's easy to see this stuff if you re-watch the episodes, cause by now you know who the girls are and can recognize them in the audience.  But I would say they do this every season.  I think it's ridiculous for Kelli to announce how many girls are left when you know that the order is switched around.  The last one called, though, is usually the real last one called for dramatic effect or to play mind games.

At that point Lacey was a returning vet. I can understand mixing up the rookies, although I don't agree, but she was a memorable rookie the year before. Just seems silly.

While I may not like Kash, I really did not like what they did to her this year. Or Melissa 2 seasons ago. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

She’s going to an osteopathic school, so will be a D.O. She can be called doctor when she graduates. MD and DO are both legit and can get the same residencies. I actually like the DO’s holistic approach better - treat the cause not just the symptoms.

I think the side eye towards Cersten comes from her falsifying her former jobs and having no remorse when asked to explain or change it. 

Pretty sure UAG confers a MD degree. DO schooling really does not exist outside of the US. 

She can apply for US residencies, but chances of getting them are slimmer as residency programs tend to accept US medical school graduates (MD and DO) first before considering foreign medical grads (unless you have connections, which she probably does). The other issue is she's saying she's going to be "cultured" but in reality it's most likely she could not get into any US school (MD or DO). 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, hereforthedrama said:

Pretty sure UAG confers a MD degree. DO schooling really does not exist outside of the US. 

She can apply for US residencies, but chances of getting them are slimmer as residency programs tend to accept US medical school graduates (MD and DO) first before considering foreign medical grads (unless you have connections, which she probably does). The other issue is she's saying she's going to be "cultured" but in reality it's most likely she could not get into any US school (MD or DO). 

Why was I thinking it was a DO school? 

22 minutes ago, hereforthedrama said:

At the risk (certainty?) of sounding bitchy and elitist, I'm guessing part of the reason for Certsen's arrogance is that she's used to being one of the smartest people in the room... because she's usually in a room full of cheerleaders. And it turns out, that doesn't translate to being one of the smartest people in a room full of premeds. 

(By that same token, if I claimed to be the best dancer in a room full of scientists, that should probably be taken with a large grain of salt)

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, hereforthedrama said:

As for connections-- yes but getting a residency spot isn't like getting some private doctors office to hire you on as an assistant.  It's a competitive national ranking system based on things such as standardized scores.  The same kind of objective  system that apparently she couldn't overcome to get into a US school.  

The dr she has spoken of as her mentor is a cosmetic procedure doc in TX who does a lot of male hair transplants.  He apparently went to the same med school though interestingly does not name the school with his credentials on his website.  He got a US residency but things were not as competitive in the 80s he graduated.  

By the way her Linked In still describes herself as a nurse and says she helped on surgeries for her mentor doing sutures and electocautery.  (Shiver)

8 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

At the risk (certainty?) of sounding bitchy and elitist, I'm guessing part of the reason for Certsen's arrogance is that she's used to being one of the smartest people in the room... because she's usually in a room full of cheerleaders. And it turns out, that doesn't translate to being one of the smartest people in a room full of premeds. 

(By that same token, if I claimed to be the best dancer in a room full of scientists, that should probably be taken with a large grain of salt)

So true-- she did earn a BS in biology at LSU, I'm sure there aren't too many other DCC with science degrees (with notable exceptions such as blond Melissa from a few seasons back and Lauren who must have a BSN). So props for that definitely.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

I agree.

1 hour ago, Rubyslippahz said:

As for connections-- yes but getting a residency spot isn't like getting some private doctors office to hire you on as an assistant.  It's a competitive national ranking system based on things such as standardized scores.  The same kind of objective  system that apparently she couldn't overcome to get into a US school.  

The dr she has spoken of as her mentor is a cosmetic procedure doc in TX who does a lot of male hair transplants.  He apparently went to the same med school though interestingly does not name the school with his credentials on his website.  He got a US residency but things were not as competitive in the 80s he graduated.  

By the way her Linked In still describes herself as a nurse and says she helped on surgeries for her mentor doing sutures and electocautery.  (Shiver)

Definitely, but if you get a passing board score and are well-connected enough to a program director, the program can rank you highly and you're in. Even with medical school admissions, having someone on the inside to vouch for you makes a world of difference. Texas is one of the easiest states to get into medical school for state residents when compared to any other US state. Being an underrepresented minority along with having a unique experience like being a DCC and all the other opportunities it allowed her to have should have made her a shoe-in. Her MCAT must have been atrocious for her to not even consider applying. It'll be interesting to follow her medical school journey for the next couple of years and how she'll spin all of it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Thanks! I have a very good friend who also went to a DO school and is a surgeon...just couldn’t remember at what point they’re officially doctors as we more commonly know it. Once they pass boards? As soon as an internship starts? Residency? Can they just open private practice. I gotta go google some stuff. Grey’s Anatomy just hasn’t properly schooled me over the years, I guess.

Good on Cersten for pursuing the dream, even if it’s a little different than the norm. 

• Love 1

There’s no right way to answer that without ending up being hated by the opposing side. I wish they would cut this out. It has no relevance to their position. I highly doubt they’d be in an interview situation and be asked “what do you think about kneeling for the anthem”

You can deflect. It's an important skill for anyone who will be talking to the press. "We're all here to support the Cowboys organization and its amazing community service work. Everyone loves America's Team. Last week we met superfan Parker, a little girl fighting leukemia! She's my inspiration!" The hard-hitting journalists who interview the DCC are not going to hammer back on the political question if you say something like that.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

I highly doubt they’d be in an interview situation and be asked “what do you think about kneeling for the anthem”

I too thought it was a stupid question (worded differently during the Interviews) but it isn’t if you think about it.

The DCC work for and represent the Cowboys, owned by Jerry Jones. He has made his opinion very clear on this subject. I do think that a hot button topic would be addressed by Kelli and Charlotte once the squad hits training camp. Media training is necessary when you are dealing with issues and since this falls into that, the girls need to be comfortable on how they would answer the question if asked.

Also, they may be asked about Erica’s lawsuit, the other lawsuits brought up by cheerleaders on other teams, their pay. Ha! Cheerleading used to be uncomplicated. If they are at an event where it is sit down meal and they are seated next to someone, that person might bring up some of this up and they have to answer correctly.  It may not be the way they feel personally but they have to know how to answer correctly for the organization. 

• Love 1

International or not, Cersten is going to medical school and I have no doubt that she will finish the program and become a doctor. It seems like a lot of people are preaching gloom and doom for her career, scoffing about her MCATS, and almost hoping that she fails because they don't like her. Regardless, that is a rigorous program of study, and doing it in another country adds another level of challenge. I give her credit for going after it. It's far more challenging than anything most of her former teammates are doing.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Jess14 said:

The funny thing about the question is that Jessika's answer was actually correct...it depends on the cause. She just forgot to say it depends on the cause and whether it aligns with Jerry Jones' opinions. They are obviously ok with cheerleaders and players using their platform for certain "agendas and opinions" (Kelli's words), like supporting the military or bringing awareness to various diseases because they agree with those causes and they're not hot button issues. They're not ok with the players kneeling because they disagree with it.  

agree. This weekend during the Houston pre-season game, they did an interview on JJ Watt & his Walton Payton award .  JJ used his celebrity, so to speak to raise funds for those effected by hurricane Harvey.  The finalists & past winners also used their NFL celebrity to campaign for their causes, which might not have been the organizations cause - or cause at the time.

During the interview I thought about the question and Jessica's answer - it depends upon the cause. 

I also think that is the reason why the My Cause My Boots were some of the bigger , more name recognizable charities. I just thought about back when I was 18-23 , some of the more local , city/state level, charities were more in my "view"  - either I did something for/with them in HS/college,  and my extended family was pretty healthy then. As life/years progressed on, then yes, the larger bigger names came into my view.

I also thought about 1st-round candidate Paris - aside from the illness that caused her mother's passing, there are probably some local charities to her FL hometown city (forgot the name) , she would like to see get assistance. Now, would those charities align with Jones opinions... well...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

This is the episode topic, not the former cheerleaders topic. Please move back to discussing what the episode, please. Cersten's situation has been discussed ad nauseum and can be retired for quite a bit of time, now. Thank you.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, sATL said:

agree. This weekend during the Houston pre-season game, they did an interview on JJ Watt & his Walton Payton award .  JJ used his celebrity, so to speak to raise funds for those effected by hurricane Harvey.  The finalists & past winners also used their NFL celebrity to campaign for their causes, which might not have been the organizations cause - or cause at the time.

During the interview I thought about the question and Jessica's answer - it depends upon the cause. 

I also think that is the reason why the My Cause My Boots were some of the bigger , more name recognizable charities. I just thought about back when I was 18-23 , some of the more local , city/state level, charities were more in my "view"  - either I did something for/with them in HS/college,  and my extended family was pretty healthy then. As life/years progressed on, then yes, the larger bigger names came into my view.

I also thought about 1st-round candidate Paris - aside from the illness that caused her mother's passing, there are probably some local charities to her FL hometown city (forgot the name) , she would like to see get assistance. Now, would those charities align with Jones opinions... well...

Probably not regarding Paris lol. I don’t even want to know how they would’ve reacted if one of the cheerleaders had chosen police accountability as their “cause.” I don’t think it’s at all a coincidence that they all basically chose well-known, non controversial causes/organizations. I don’t blame them either (who doesn’t know someone who has suffered from cancer?). It’s certainly a worthy cause and won’t ruffle any feathers. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

Probably not regarding Paris lol. I don’t even want to know how they would’ve reacted if one of the cheerleaders had chosen police accountability as their “cause.” I don’t think it’s at all a coincidence that they all basically chose well-known, non controversial causes/organizations. I don’t blame them either (who doesn’t know someone who has suffered from cancer?). It’s certainly a worthy cause and won’t ruffle any feathers. 

Nothing would surprise me less than if they were 'guided' towards their cause of choice.

• Love 5
On 8/16/2018 at 11:08 PM, Teresa said:

Why does Miss America girl Rachel remind me a lot of Megan B from a couple years ago...the way she looks and talks, especially when she told Kitty she wasn't the best or whatever. It reminded me of Megan B in the office being so weird in how she talked and so spacey. 

This 100 % .     I don't see authenticity in this one......she's so rehearsed and as someone else said "Stepford Wife-ish".  Not a fan so far...........

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, KoKo said:

This 100 % .     I don't see authenticity in this one......she's so rehearsed and as someone else said "Stepford Wife-ish".  Not a fan so far...........

physically she actually reminds me a lot of Erica, but that might be the super-full coverage foundation and makeup application, but they look so alike to me.  I guess being a pagent girl, she is alway going to seem rehearsed and stepford-wife-ish because, well, she is rehearsed. she's got years of training for exactly the sort of thing the DCC want at events.  the faux humility...I could do without

• Love 6