Type keyword(s) to search

Lodge 49 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/20/2018 at 4:01 PM, Pat Hoolihan said:

Quite frankly, the Captain has been mentioned repeatedly since ep 1. It has been a major item of interest throughout. I guess the poster maybe has not been paying enough attention to the show as it airs, which can happen, but I am not finding the show overly complicated. There may be some unexplainable things so far, but I believe they will be addressed soon.

And the unexplainable bits are the fun of the show. The mysteries will reveal themselves. I’m enjoying it immensely. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, plurie said:

That's not really "Captain's" house, right? I'm not sure he's even the real "Captain." But, why would he be scamming people with no money?

I think it is Captain's house or was.  He lost it in the divorce settlement.  I was totally grossed out by the scene of him waking up with vomit all over him.  I could have done without that.  But I bought that he is being honest with Dud and Ernie.

I am not sure what the Fake Emissary's game is.

I am also still enjoying the show immensely!

• Love 2

That scam scenario outlined by Captain is so oddly convoluted and unlikely it is hilarious.

I love the facial expressions of Ernie. It seems like 99% of the time it's reactions to weirdness - and he is the perfect actor for that.

The show has so many LOL instances -- that is what I like about it most. E.g. when Ernie calls Dud and shouts with great urgency: " The Captain's a fraud. He's playing some sort of twisted game. Stay away from him."And it's on speaker phone and Captain hears it.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, SoothingDave said:

I feel like we missed a scene where corporate guy tells Liz her felony background isn't a problem and they hire her into the corporate program.

True, but he told Liz that he himself had a drug conviction, so I guess we're supposed to assume that her youthful felony wasn't a deal breaker. (Sneaking out from the interview instead of just coming clean about her past would probably be an impediment to employment at a typical company, which this obviously is not, though.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Corporate seems much like a Lodge.

All kinds of “secret knowledge” being sought after, or offered on this show.  It’s one of the things I’m really digging.  What has worth?  How much does desire blind one to the costs?

I really hope the last episodes stick the landing.

• Love 3

The more I think of it, the more I’m willing to admit being wrong about the Captain being the Fisher King.  I want him to be, but his sweet talk meant to seduce people to corruption, his illusory “Garden of Delights,” and his longing for the magic of Spain (where he cannot return, and where his soul resides), give him a definite Klingsor  vibe to me.

Edited by revbfc
Tidying up a little.

I think Ernie is a POS.  Connie is no better but it seems like she's got more than health issues and I hope we find out what they are next episode.

I think there are too many stories going on, crowded into each episode. 

I don’t know when it happened but Liz has become the character I cannot stand. At the beginning I liked her a lot-I liked her relationship with Dud and I liked her as a waitress at Shamrock and the best wItress in the place. But now her negativity and her penchant for self sabotage just annoy me. But I like all of the others even Ernie  

Next week is the finale and I think we are going to be left with a lot of questions. I will miss this show. 

• Love 2

I don't like how Liz has seemingly self-destructed and it is painful to watch her now.  However, Ernie seems to have no problem banging another man's wife (yes, I know she's just as guilty) and that's why I don't like him.  I don't know why Scott seems to think that Connie will be happier or somehow feel better having an affair with Ernie, but I hope it will be revealed in the finale.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, gibasi said:

I don’t know when it happened but Liz has become the character I cannot stand. At the beginning I liked her a lot-I liked her relationship with Dud and I liked her as a waitress at Shamrock and the best wItress in the place. But now her negativity and her penchant for self sabotage just annoy me. But I like all of the others even Ernie  

Next week is the finale and I think we are going to be left with a lot of questions. I will miss this show. 

Is it not coming back?

2 hours ago, jabinlbc said:

Is it not coming back?

It's been renewed. 

One of the things I like about this show is that we're in the dark -- just as much as the characters.  I don't think we've seen anything that the characters haven't also seen.  With other shows, we get different viewpoints, so we know things that the characters don't know.  It gives me a sort of untethered feeling, but I like it. 

• Love 7

I'm going to miss this show.  Seems that all the characters were left in good places, with hope to carry on.  That assumes Dud won't lose his leg -- that was a lot of blood!  After it was over, I remember hearing warnings on the news -- if there are seals in the water, don't go in, because sharks follow the seals.  Guess the Long Beach surfers didn't hear that.

Love that Liz is out from under the debt and glad that the bank worked with her. 

Also love that Ernie is off with Cheech to the desert!  And that Blaise found alchemy tools!

• Love 4

Was the leg the shark bit the one with the bad foot?  Maybe that was the solution, that he just loses the leg and the foot problem is solved?

I was happy for Liz, although that would never happen in real life.  

I hate to harp on Ernie but he still hasn't acknowledged that he was wrong in having the affair with Scott's wife Connie and I wanted Scott to beat him to a pulp.  Sure, Connie is wrong, too, but I give her just a little slack because she's terminally ill and I want to believe that she's just not in her right mind.  Plus, I haven't forgotten that Ernie swindled Dud out of that $2,000.  I don't care how much bad luck he's had, Ernie is not a good man and maybe that's why he's had bad luck. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Was the leg the shark bit the one with the bad foot?  Maybe that was the solution, that he just loses the leg and the foot problem is solved?

Yeah, I think the bite was on the leg with the bad foot. 

He was so happy about the bite -- it proved (to him) that his dad didn't commit suicide -- there really were sharks in that area. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I'm going to miss this show.  Seems that all the characters were left in good places, with hope to carry on.  That assumes Dud won't lose his leg -- that was a lot of blood!  After it was over, I remember hearing warnings on the news -- if there are seals in the water, don't go in, because sharks follow the seals.  Guess the Long Beach surfers didn't hear that.

Love that Liz is out from under the debt and glad that the bank worked with her. 

Also love that Ernie is off with Cheech to the desert!  And that Blaise found alchemy tools!

As soon as I saw the seal, I knew a shark was gonna get him.

I am so glad there will be a season 2, this is the best "quirky" show in a long time.

• Love 8

I liked that Jocelyn the English guy submitted his report, but stuck up for the lodge. It is about community. I would gladly join that lodge.

I also like that Dud hangs out with all these older people and sees wisdom. I LOVE THAT.!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Yeah, I think the bite was on the leg with the bad foot. 

He was so happy about the bite -- it proved (to him) that his dad didn't commit suicide -- there really were sharks in that area. 

Oh yes, I was so appalled a the shark bite that I forgot that line about his dad not committing suicide.  I still think the bite on that that leg means something.  Maybe the leg and the foot will be healed.

• Love 2

I am glad the Lodge is saved-at least for now!  I was disappointed that we closed the season without the members knowing it was saved.

I find myself wishing for a Lodge 49 of my own to join!  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, gibasi said:

I am glad the Lodge is saved-at least for now!  I was disappointed that we closed the season without the members knowing it was saved.

I find myself wishing for a Lodge 49 of my own to join!  

I feel that way too. Just a fun little place where you feel welcome.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:00 AM, AnnieBeez said:

I hope Dud grows the beard back by next season. 

Surprisingly, so do I. I don't normally like facial hair, but there's something about his chin that bothers me and the beard covers it up.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Surprisingly, so do I. I don't normally like facial hair, but there's something about his chin that bothers me and the beard covers it up.

Yes, I agree.  Despite having gorgeous parents I don't really find Wyatt very attractive. I know people think he looks like Kurt but I don't think he is anywhere near as good looking.  Of course back in the day (his television days-The Quest!) I had a huge Kurt Russell crush!  Anyway I think the facial hair helps.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2018 at 6:43 PM, SoSueMe said:

I am so glad there will be a season 2, this is the best "quirky" show in a long time.

So am I. Beyond the quirkiness (of which is there is a ton of), I'm taken by how human these people are and how sweet Dud is, even after everything he has been through. It's like he and Liz are two sides of the coin - she's depressed but realistic but Dud is just this optimistic-to-the-point-of-semidelusional guy with such a good nature. Oh and I'm also hoping the beard comes back - he looks a little too much like his sister Kate and it's unnerving to see a manly Kate-type face on there. Plus the beard kinda matches his personality. I grew up in SoCal back in the 70s and he reminds me of a lot of the surfer-type guys from that era. 

• Love 5

I think it's going to take me a while to get back into this show.  The dream sequences or fantasy sequences or whatever they are, kind of take me out of the episode sometimes.  I'm glad to see Dud back though.

I'm tired of depressed Liz. 

I usually delete episodes after viewing, but I'm saving this one.  It's possible that Dud's hospital visions are hints about what's coming next, or maybe explanations of what we'll see.  Like that little statuette at the end of this episode -- it was a miniature of the blue-headed guy who took that first parachute.  So I think I'll be reviewing as the season progresses.

I'm glad to see that Dud and Ernie will be buds again by the end of the season. 

Just glad to be back.  Except for Connie's husband (and the new pool store people), everyone's heart is in the right place. 

And wouldn't Christine from Baskets fit right into this universe?

• Love 1

I'm just tired of waiting for explanations and I find myself missing a lot of "clues."

Also, I don't know why Dud would have expected the new pool store owners to want him "helping out" since they knew his family previously owned the store.   So I can't blame them for not wanting him there, they might be afraid he'd sabotage the store in revenge.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Also, I don't know why Dud would have expected the new pool store owners to want him "helping out" since they knew his family previously owned the store.   So I can't blame them for not wanting him there, they might be afraid he'd sabotage the store in revenge.  

I think a key part of Dud's personality is that he doesn't pick up on social cues.  He thinks everyone else is as open and honest as he is.  He would have welcomed the help, so he thinks the new people should welcome it too. 

He's a babe in the woods, in a lot of ways. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Glad that I decided to catch up with this, its such a strange show, a weird mix of breezy and summery and also existential and complicated, but it totally works. I am definitely going to watch Duds vision in the start again, I feel like its going to be foreshadowing a lot of things that happen.

Hopefully Liz can go into business with Dud, her listlessness has been going on for awhile now, and I hope that we either get more insight into her and her tendency to self sabotage. I get what Duds issue is, but I would like to know more about why she has been treading water for so long. 

What the hell is going on in the start? What is going to happen in six weeks?!

Oh Dud, watching him so earnestly trying to talk to those pool people in his dads old place was so hard to watch. He is such an open and kind person, he kind of expects everyone else to be the same, even after so much has happened. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I'm so happy this weird, wonderful show is back. I hadn't realized how much I missed it until the episode opened with that bizarre plane sequence and I just couldn't stop smiling. There's nothing else like it on TV right now!

I'm so glad Liz is out from under that debt, and even though she's still recovering from what it did to her life, she's taking steps to get out there, find work... it must be incredibly daunting and demoralizing to consider building up your entire life from zero, after missing out on so much. I'll be interested to see her journey this season.

And Dud! It's so refreshing to see a protagonist who is so open and optimistic and unapologetically good-hearted. I just love him. I think he tried to offer his services to the new family because he was so pleased to see that they were using his old space to run another family-owned pool shop, and expected it to be, well, just like what he had with his dad. A warm, intimate family affair in a place he belonged and with work he cared about. Without having met the new family previously, he had no basis for expectations besides his previous experience. But boy, that family! And Booie (yes, that really is his name. I had to check IMDB to confirm!) ... holy cow, that character was amazing. Exactly the right balance between comedically apathetic and sincerely repugnant! It's hard to believe anyone would rather have him than Dud clean their pools, so Dud's little startup operation has that going for it... I can't imagine it will be smooth sailing, though! And I don't have a great feeling about this lawsuit... unless you really CAN sue a shark, I can't imagine any wrongdoing on the part of humans would be easy to prove. And if it were, couldn't they have sued after their father died? I guess there was no PROOF it was a shark. Still, this seems a bit sketchy. But, hey! It got Liz her TV back!

So happy to have this show again. Bring on next week!

• Love 4

I like how they are giving some of the more peripheral characters from last season bigger roles, and we'll see some interesting character development in them. The guys Liz worked with at the restaurant. The loan shark and his tough guy assistant. Maybe that guy who is Dud's boss at the employment agency. 

Edited by Pat Hoolihan

I like Dud but I don't see him as always being some sweet, innocent, loving guy.  After all, he did steal stuff from the pool business owner's truck to start his own pool cleaning side hustle.  If the owners had let him work there, who knows how much other stuff he would have stolen for his hustle? 

So far, I've got no beef with the pool business owners.  They might be stuck up, but it's not like they stole the business from Dud. 

• Love 2