Type keyword(s) to search

Lodge 49 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

So this week (episode 4) we learn that Liz's debt is because she co-signed her dad's house note before he disappeared.  I'd been wondering about that.  I'm sad to see that he was (is) kind of a user. 

It was a loan for the business.

I keep wondering if we’ll get more follow through on the Arthurian hints they throw out.  Not that Dud is Arthur, far from it.  He’s more of an Amfortas (with his wound that will not heal).

• Love 2
On 8/17/2018 at 9:07 AM, Corgi-ears said:

Cobie Smulders (that's not Cobie Smulders) is pretty great in this.

Sonya Cassidy. yeah, she was good in Humans too. ( another English actor taking an American's job! Where's Trump's tweet about that!! kidding! ;) )

didn't think I'd like this show, but it's definitely growing on me. for some reason, it reminds me of Terriers (dammit!!). Could be Dud's look is Donal Logue-ish. or it's the SoCal setting. who knows...

Edited by eelpout
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Dud saying that when the snake bit him, he felt like "a thing that could die" -- that was affecting.  And Ernie asking what good is being alive if you're alone on a Sunday.  These people are thoughtful without hitting us over the head with it. 

That scene about broke my heart. Dud is such a sunny, enthusiastic character but right then, he just "broke" for a minute. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It was a loan for the business.

Ah, okay.  So they took the house when the loan was in default?  Geez, if I was Liz, I'd probably file bankruptcy -- without shame.  It will take the rest of her life to pay off that loan.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Ah, okay.  So they took the house when the loan was in default?  Geez, if I was Liz, I'd probably file bankruptcy -- without shame.  It will take the rest of her life to pay off that loan.

The house was probably lost because the missing father was not paying the mortgage.  The business was likely lost because the father wasn't paying the loan and neither was Liz.  I suppose she gave up her better-paying paralegal job because it was being garnished, so better to be earning tips as a waitress.  Bankruptcy would make a lot of sense.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2018 at 10:48 AM, revbfc said:

I keep wondering if we’ll get more follow through on the Arthurian hints they throw out.  Not that Dud is Arthur, far from it.  He’s more of an Amfortas (with his wound that will not heal).

As well as Liz did on the jousting, she might be Arthur.

The alone on Sunday got to me too.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, AuntiePam said:

And Ernie asking what good is being alive if you're alone on a Sunday.

But has Ernie been waiting 40+ years for his HS girlfriend to return? Surely he could have sought to make a connection with someone else in all those years. We've had no hint that he has an ex, a deceased wife, or kids. Did he put in any effort? (I'm not big on people who cheat with married people/married people who cheat.)

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

But has Ernie been waiting 40+ years for his HS girlfriend to return? Surely he could have sought to make a connection with someone else in all those years. We've had no hint that he has an ex, a deceased wife, or kids. Did he put in any effort? (I'm not big on people who cheat with married people/married people who cheat.)

So I'm still confused about the Ernie/Connie/Scott triangle.  I must have missed something.*  Was Connie his HS girlfriend?  If so, then Ernie is sad and has real issues.  I want to like him but I can't feel sorry for someone who's sleeping with a married woman.  

*Sometimes on shows, especially those on AMC, I constantly have to turn the volume way up during the show, then turn it down for the commercials.  It is truly annoying.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I also can't remember seeing any hints about his past but there seems to be a lot of backstory we don't know yet.  I'm willing to wait and see on that.

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

So I'm still confused about the Ernie/Connie/Scott triangle.  I must have missed something.*  Was Connie his HS girlfriend?  If so, then Ernie is sad and has real issues.  I want to like him but I can't feel sorry for someone who's sleeping with a married woman.  

*Sometimes on shows, especially those on AMC, I constantly have to turn the volume way up during the show, then turn it down for the commercials.  It is truly annoying.  

Not to be a defender of extramarital affairs, but there were definitely two people involved in that decision!  (And I hadn't noticed a difference in volume between show/commercials.  I wonder if different providers handle it differently.  Although now that I think about it, I usually watch a recorded version and skip past the commercials.  So never mind :) )

7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not to be a defender of extramarital affairs, but there were definitely two people involved in that decision! 

Oh no question, I agree.  It's just that the talk was only about Ernie.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not to be a defender of extramarital affairs, but there were definitely two people involved in that decision! 

Oh no question, I agree.  It's just that the talk was only about Ernie.

Of course I disapprove of both, that's why I said:  "I'm not big on people who cheat with married people/married people who cheat."

If Connie wasn't willing to betray her husband, Ernie would not be having an affair.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

Come on, Liz -- Gloria's not that old.  Mid to late 30's?  The older I get, the harder it is for me to guess ages.

I liked the corporate guy and thought his response was perfect.  He's interested and maybe a bit concerned, but not pushy.  Liz seems worried about leaving her comfort zone.  She's an excellent server and would probably be a good manager, but change is scary.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2018 at 2:15 AM, AuntiePam said:

Come on, Liz -- Gloria's not that old.  Mid to late 30's?  The older I get, the harder it is for me to guess ages.

I liked the corporate guy and thought his response was perfect.  He's interested and maybe a bit concerned, but not pushy.  Liz seems worried about leaving her comfort zone.  She's an excellent server and would probably be a good manager, but change is scary.

I'm going to say she's meant to be in her early 40's.  Her mom might be in her late 70's. They are not making her up in a way that would make her look her best, but rather in the way a harried, depressed woman might look.

The actress is Jocelyn Towne, who is 42, and is married to Simon Helberg, who plays Howard in The Big Bang Theory.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

I missed the part where Ernie was talking to Larry about Connie.  Was Larry encouraging him or telling him to end the affair? 

I know Dud is a slacker, and Liz pays the bills, and I even understood why they fought.  That's what siblings do.  But kicking him on his bad foot was a low blow.  I think Dud was right when he told her that she wanted to die.  Also, that weird thing that she did with her boss, messing with his mind with that "kiss" was cringeworthy.  I hope she gets help.    

I wasn't grossed out by Blaise pulling that worm out of his nose.  Like Dud, Ernie and some of the others, I was so happy for him.

• Love 3

When I first started watching this show, I wasn't sure what to expect because I'm usually not a fan of quirky shows with quirky characters.  However, I like these characters and this is one of my favorite shows.  I hope it doesn't get canceled. 

Also, Wyatt Russell has the most calming face.  I don't know how he is in real life, but just looking at him, he seems to be a cool dude.  Just like the Dude.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2018 at 10:37 AM, Ohwell said:

I know Dud is a slacker, and Liz pays the bills, and I even understood why they fought.  That's what siblings do.  But kicking him on his bad foot was a low blow.  I think Dud was right when he told her that she wanted to die.  Also, that weird thing that she did with her boss, messing with his mind with that "kiss" was cringeworthy.  I hope she gets help.    

Oddly enough, last week I was thinking "Wow.  Liz is desperately unhappy."  And then this week, Dud tells her "you want to die" and she doesn't deny it.  I find her a very sad character.  Like you said, I hope she gets help.

Who were those people in the basement that Dud found?

Connie's terminal illness diagnosis is sad.  However, I'm glad that Ernie finally got a clue and ended the relationship, and if somehow he finds out about her illness, I hope he is sympathetic but stays away.  She needs to be with her husband, who doesn't strike me as a bad guy.

I think the character I care the least about is Liz, but I'm glad that she seems to have snapped out of her funk and taken the job training opportunity. 

R.I.P., Larry.  At least you died happy.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I came to ask the same question.  And who were the other people in that building?  What IS that building?  Does it have anything to do with that big development that Ernie is so excited about?  There certainly didn't seem to be anything there that was worth guarding.

I'm curious about Connie's illness.  I don't remember it being mentioned before -- no signs, unless the visions are a sign.  Brain tumor? 

I felt bad for Liz when she was trying to be sympathetic with that customer, and all he could do was stare at her boobs.

14 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I came to ask the same question.  And who were the other people in that building?  What IS that building?  Does it have anything to do with that big development that Ernie is so excited about?  There certainly didn't seem to be anything there that was worth guarding.

I'm curious about Connie's illness.  I don't remember it being mentioned before -- no signs, unless the visions are a sign.  Brain tumor? 

I felt bad for Liz when she was trying to be sympathetic with that customer, and all he could do was stare at her boobs.

I thought the people that Dud saw were all part of a vision but even though the one man knew his name, I wondered if they were strangers to Dud.

I think the building is guarded because of the metal that is still there-the metal that the 2 guys were stealing that set Dud on his vision quest thing.

When we saw Connie at the doctor's office I thought she was there for epilepsy.  I wasn't thinking brain tumor.  I realize there are different kinds but at least in my experience people with brain tumors have problems that Connie does not have.  With mobility and memory and some cognitive thinking.  And I  hope it is not a brain tumor because to my mind that would be the easy way out and this show doesn't seem to take the easy way.

I like Liz the most when she and Dud are watching tv on the couch. Then I love the sibling bond and their relationship. Liz is a very prickly person and I agree she is very depressed.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

Wasn’t the guy that spoke to Dud one of the guys from the lodge that recently lost his job at that factory (or whatever it is)?

Could be, but I don't even remember.  There are so many characters who only have a scene or two.  

On 9/11/2018 at 9:25 PM, Ohwell said:

8 hours ago, gibasi said:

I think the building is guarded because of the metal that is still there-the metal that the 2 guys were stealing that set Dud on his vision quest thing.

23 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

6 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

Wasn’t the guy that spoke to Dud one of the guys from the lodge that recently lost his job at that factory (or whatever it is)?

I believe that Dud is now a night guard at Orbis, the same aircraft manufacturer that has been shrinking for 5 years, and at which Dud had been previously employed preparing termination folders.  When Linda had her vision of a knight on a horse (which turned out to be the speed-taking guard who also works at Shamroxx with Liz) she was at Orbis looking to write a story.

The guys who chased Dud were using powered equipment to cut up materials still in the warehouse that were worth stealing.

When Dud emerged, he appeared to find a whole bunch of people now working there, and I agree that one of them was the despondent guy from the Lodge who had had a karaoke breakdown.

Maybe Captain's new development has resulted in employment for the laid-off workers?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Maybe Captain's new development has resulted in employment for the laid-off workers?

Who is Captain? 

I'm sorry, but I guess sometimes I'm not paying as much attention as I thought I was.   

11 hours ago, plurie said:

I thought Dud was having a vision, or travelled back in time or something. It would make sense that he was in the past, when the laid-off workers were still working there.

I also thought there was some sort of time travel going on at first, but how would the guy from the lodge have recognized him?

Edited by Accidental Martyr
5 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I also thought there was some sort of time travel going on at first, but how would the guy from the lodge have recognized him?

IDK. Maybe they knew each other before. It's a small town. Or maybe he travelled to the FUTURE?

On 9/4/2018 at 10:53 PM, Ohwell said:

Also, Wyatt Russell has the most calming face.  I don't know how he is in real life, but just looking at him, he seems to be a cool dude.  Just like the Dude.

well being the son of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn he sort of has to be :). I Googled his images and he does look to be the same in real life.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, SoSueMe said:

Maybe it was just the way it was shot, but Dud looked alarmingly thin floating in the pool. I mean, legs the size of arms thin.

On 9/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, Ohwell said:

His legs aren't that thin when he's standing up.  They aren't big, muscular legs but they fit his frame.

Its kind of funny how generally frail he seems to look here, considering the fact that he is 185 cm tall and has been a professional hokey player most of his adult life. In pictures with his parents he absolutely towers over his father (Kurt Russell) both in height and width. I really think he did the opposite of bulking up and gaining muscle for this role and sort of relaxed his body posture to look this way.

• Love 1
On 8/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, AuntiePam said:

It reminds me a little bit of John from Cincinnati -- the surfing, and the quiet weirdness.

This was also my reaction when I started watching it. I don't even remember the plot of JFC but the general feel of the series remained with me and it immediately came to mind when this one started.

• Love 2

Just watched episode 9 and had chuckle at the fridge Liz encountered in the water after jumping off the boat. I assume it a subtle reference to the success of the last catapult project of the people in the abandoned basement (building a trebuchet, big enough to throw the fridge out to sea)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, meira.hand said:

Just watched episode 9 and had chuckle at the fridge Liz encountered in the water after jumping off the boat. I assume it a subtle reference to the success of the last catapult project of the people in the abandoned basement (building a trebuchet, big enough to throw the fridge out to sea)

It's also a callback to the fridge in her apartment that she crawled into!

• Love 2

Ok, so now I'm assuming that Dud is just imagining all those folks in the basement.  Right?  

I hadn't thought of that.  I'm thinking that maybe their trebuchet experiments will come in handy at some point -- the trebuchet fits in with the other King Arthur-type stuff we've seen -- the jouster and the dragon.  But what will they need to destroy? 

It's interesting that the three people who've seen visions all had medical issues -- Connie with her terminal illness, Larry with his heart, and Dud with that unhealed snakebite. 

Not sure how I feel about Avery.  He's an unnecessary complication, something else to question.  What did he want?  There was nothing to rob. 

I think the people in the basement are real - other people have seen them.  The two guys from the restaurant and Connie saw them.  And what's the Parabola project all about.

I don't know what Avery was after, but it's clear that he's a lot better at deciphering the alchemy than Blaise is.

Lots of vermin in this.  Mice and cockroaches in the lodge, opossums in the trailer.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I think the people in the basement are real - other people have seen them.  The two guys from the restaurant and Connie saw them.  And what's the Parabola project all about.

I recognized Connie and the two guys from the restaurant but what would they be doing in the basement?  All of this is just too confusing and for the life of me I don't know what the hell is going on.  I still like this show but I don't know if I can handle another season of mysterious goings on. 

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I recognized Connie and the two guys from the restaurant but what would they be doing in the basement?  All of this is just too confusing and for the life of me I don't know what the hell is going on.  I still like this show but I don't know if I can handle another season of mysterious goings on. 

At the lodge Dud was playing pinball with Connie when “parabola project” walked by. He alluded to a “parabola project” at midnight and said “death from above”. That was referencing the late night trebuchet shenanigans they showed before, at Orbis. Connie asked about it and Dud said he didn’t have the authority to allow her to come, but “parabola project” guy did. Cut to the midnight scene back at Orbis and I guess Connie made it through vetting and was allowed to come play. 

On 9/13/2018 at 9:08 AM, Ohwell said:

Who is Captain? 

I'm sorry, but I guess sometimes I'm not paying as much attention as I thought I was.   

Captain is the mysterious contractor Ernie has been obsessed about finding, so he can score the huge development plumping deal. It who was on the phone when he crashed the big meeting and his associates scooped him up in the suv and gave him the gift basket. 

• Love 1

And Captain is Bruce Campbell!!!  I was so excited when I saw him.

The people in the sub basement are different than the people in the Parabola project.  I am not sure what it really is but everyone seems to be having a great time with it and since they are all laid off it keeps them busy!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

This.

I love a good mystery, but the clues in this one are so vague and confusing, and the people so depressing, I'm not sure I can continue.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MJS said:

At the lodge Dud was playing pinball with Connie when “parabola project” walked by. He alluded to a “parabola project” at midnight and said “death from above”. That was referencing the late night trebuchet shenanigans they showed before, at Orbis. Connie asked about it and Dud said he didn’t have the authority to allow her to come, but “parabola project” guy did. Cut to the midnight scene back at Orbis and I guess Connie made it through vetting and was allowed to come play. 

Captain is the mysterious contractor Ernie has been obsessed about finding, so he can score the huge development plumping deal. It who was on the phone when he crashed the big meeting and his associates scooped him up in the suv and gave him the gift basket. 

Thanks very much for the explanation.  But I'm still somewhat confused.  LOL

Seriously though, if I need a tutorial after every episode then I'm not sure this is the show for me.  There are only three more episodes until the end of this season but I don't know if I'll continue watching after that.  

• Love 2

Thanks very much for the explanation.  But I'm still somewhat confused.  LOL

Seriously though, if I need a tutorial after every episode then I'm not sure this is the show for me.  There are only three more episodes until the end of this season but I don't know if I'll continue watching after that.  

Maybe, since honestly I find it pretty straightforward to follow and engaging. It’s also strangely uplifting to me. Not eveyth8jg works for everybody,and that’s cool. 

• Love 5

I'm finding it interesting & a fun watch, but still a bit confusing.  For most shows that I'm interested enough to watch, I can benefit from an "insider" or "after-show" type podcast, but I haven't found one for this.  But the latest episode of the podcast Bullseye with Jesse Thorn has an interview with a couple of the people involved (producer & show runner maybe?).  They get into some inside-Long Beach type stuff.  Not spoilery, I don't think, especially if you've watched this far & have been reading this thread.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how they wrap things up.  Anyone know, was this specifically made as a limited-episode series, or is there the potential for more seasons? (And I guess those two aren't mutually exclusive.)  I haven't been reading the other thread since I'm watching week-by-week.

• Love 1

Quite frankly, the Captain has been mentioned repeatedly since ep 1. It has been a major item of interest throughout. I guess the poster maybe has not been paying enough attention to the show as it airs, which can happen, but I am not finding the show overly complicated. There may be some unexplainable things so far, but I believe they will be addressed soon.

• Love 4