Type keyword(s) to search

Lodge 49 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thanks for this forum. I don't have to much to start off with, but I am 2 episodes in and I am hooked. In a strange way it reminds me of the movie "Local Hero", I don't know why.  I haven't seen "The Big Lebowski" so I guess I will need to do that to get the references.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this show. It takes a while for the plot to kick in, but I enjoyed spending time with all the characters, so I wasn't that bothered. I did like how it tied the various components together by the end of the season though, and would definitely watch more.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ApathyMonger said:

I really enjoyed this show. It takes a while for the plot to kick in, but I enjoyed spending time with all the characters, so I wasn't that bothered. I did like how it tied the various components together by the end of the season though, and would definitely watch more.

Are all the episodes available somewhere?  I'm only aware of the first two, aired after Better Call Saul the last two Mondays.  Do we need a spoiler policy?  @SilverStormm?  Or at least a warning in the thread title?

• Love 3

I think ApathyMonger must have gotten his shows mixed up.  Actually I sort of like that beach world and the characters are interesting, so I'll keep watching and see what happens.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Are all the episodes available somewhere?  I'm only aware of the first two, aired after Better Call Saul the last two Mondays.  Do we need a spoiler policy?  @SilverStormm?  Or at least a warning in the thread title?

As I understand it, if you have AMC's paid premium streaming service, then all the eps are available to binge. If you're just an ordinary schmo, like me, then you get it once a week like the rest of the ordinary shmoes. Eh. I like the show, and I'd probably binge it if I had the opportunity, but it's kind of nice to have something to look forward to in the later doldrums of summer. I agree that a spoiler warning (and maybe tags until the non-premium run is over?) would be a good idea, since not everyone has access to the entire season.

I like the relationship between Dud and his sister--two of my kids, brother and sister, are a bit like that, very close, very easy with each other. I like that any tension between them isn't overdone or drawn out for drama. I'm definitely interested in the history of the lodge (history nerd alert!), and am looking forward to interaction/info with and about the British arm.

• Love 7

Am I the only one who thinks Larry punched Dud because he thought he (Dud) was Dud's dad? In the flashbacks, they look similar enough.  

(Am I the only one who can't stop seeing Kurt Russell everytime Dud is onscreen? The actor is really the perfect blend of his mom and dad!)

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, cuppasun said:

As I understand it, if you have AMC's paid premium streaming service, then all the eps are available to binge. If you're just an ordinary schmo, like me, then you get it once a week like the rest of the ordinary shmoes. Eh. I like the show, and I'd probably binge it if I had the opportunity, but it's kind of nice to have something to look forward to in the later doldrums of summer. I agree that a spoiler warning (and maybe tags until the non-premium run is over?) would be a good idea, since not everyone has access to the entire season.

I agree, and I probably should have mentioned before - I'm finding it interesting enough to keep watching, so far no opinions strong enough to post about, but I'd like to be able to read what others post show-by-show without it being colored by knowledge of so far unaired episodes.  Maybe one thread for the full season and one for all aired episodes?  Does it work that way?

Other Schmoe

• Love 2

I keep seeing Jeff Bridges in Wyatt's face.

The most recent episode moved a little too slowly for me. I don't need a breakneck pace to keep my interest (for example, I loved Rectify), but I have limited patience for too much feckless dude-com.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ratSenoL said:

(Am I the only one who can't stop seeing Kurt Russell everytime Dud is onscreen? The actor is really the perfect blend of his mom and dad!)

I do, and he has Kurt’s cheerful charm of his Disney movie days, before he became Snake from “Escape from New York.” 

I’m not sure this is going anywhere, but it has its charms.

• Love 1

I don't usually go for shows with a cast full of quirky characters but this one is interesting.  I'm gonna hang with it as long as it lasts.  It might have a chance since it follows Better Call Saul.  

I think it's a perfect blend as well and I'm so glad this forum is up. I just love this show. Dud has such sweetness about him and you can see how messed up he is over his father's demise and the rotten things that have happened to him. I love the relationship beteeween him and his sister. And the whole "mystery" of Lodge 49 has me intrigued (even when it starts to get hairy and threatens to move into camp territory it gets ironic and humorous). I'm in for the ride. It's such a great palate cleanser from the darkness of Better Call Saul. 

• Love 6

I'm conflicted about the house.  On the one hand, that family doesn't deserve to be harassed because they bought the house legally.  On the other hand, I'd like for Dud to find a way to get the house back. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I love the relationship beteeween him and his sister.

I do too or thought I did.  I don't like that he stole money from her.  And I was hoping he would take the money back from Brent Jennings (I am totally blanking on his name right now) and put it back.  Maybe short the $200 membership but it is better than not giving anything back to her.

8 hours ago, gibasi said:

I do too or thought I did.  I don't like that he stole money from her.  And I was hoping he would take the money back from Brent Jennings (I am totally blanking on his name right now) and put it back.  Maybe short the $200 membership but it is better than not giving anything back to her.

I thought he took the $3000 loan from the pawn shop guy, gave part to his sister to help pay back what he already owed her, then used $2000 for the “membership fee”.

• Love 7

Pinging @SilverStormm: as noted above, new eps of this show are on AMC every Monday night (so far there've been two), but the entire 10-ep season is already available on AMC Premiere. As a result, the discussion of this thread is a little unfocused, and may spoil folks who are following the broadcast schedule. Can we perhaps start a new thread:

The Dud Abides (by the Broadcast Schedule): Discuss the Weekly Eps as They Come On AMC

And perhaps retitle this thread to something like:

The Trying of Lodge 49: Discuss All of Season 1 

Or whatever other format you think best? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Corgi-ears said:

Pinging @SilverStormm: as noted above, new eps of this show are on AMC every Monday night (so far there've been two), but the entire 10-ep season is already available on AMC Premiere. As a result, the discussion of this thread is a little unfocused, and may spoil folks who are following the broadcast schedule. Can we perhaps start a new thread:

The Dud Abides (by the Broadcast Schedule): Discuss the Weekly Eps as They Come On AMC

And perhaps retitle this thread to something like:

The Trying of Lodge 49: Discuss All of Season 1 

Or whatever other format you think best? Thanks!

Sure, go ahead and set it up. It will be locked once the season has aired in full on the weekly schedule.

14 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

I thought he took the $3000 loan from the pawn shop guy, gave part to his sister to help pay back what he already owed her, then used $2000 for the “membership fee”.

Yep. 

Thanks for the forum -- I can never come up with witty thread titles.  I'm not getting a Lebowski vibe -- Dud acts without thinking things through but I think he lacks the Dude's confidence.  It reminds me a little bit of John from Cincinnati -- the surfing, and the quiet weirdness.

I really like the apothecary guy -- he's a scene-stealer. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Sure, go ahead and set it up. It will be locked once the season has aired in full on the weekly schedule.

Thanks, @SilverStormm. Done. Can you retitle this thread so it's more clearly about the entire season (and presumably add a spoiler tag)? I don't think I can do so. 

8 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Thanks, @SilverStormm. Done. Can you retitle this thread so it's more clearly about the entire season (and presumably add a spoiler tag)? I don't think I can do so. 

'All Episodes Talk: [Insert witty subtitle]' topics are commonplace across the site and cover entire series not just single seasons. We don't use spoiler tags for these as the OP explains that AET topics cover a show's entire run.

Thanks for that, Accidental Martyr!  I missed the difference in the amount and now I feel better!

• Love 3

Two episodes in (I haven't watched tonight's yet) and I'm really enjoying this show. I just like the feel of it, you know? It's quirky, but not self-consciously so. And both Wyatt Russell and Sonya Cassidy are terrific; they are very convincing as siblings. 

Plus, that scene in the second episode when Liz is cleaning the fridge and then she just gets inside and closes the door...that killed me in the best way. (Although it did make me think of that infamous Punky Brewster episode.)

• Love 4

Because there were two of them and guys need their space.  Or they had to save the real bed for the visitor from England.

I have been tempted to throw my arms around guys who fixed things, so I'm identifying.

So Dad isn't dead, he just disappeared in the ocean?

• Love 1

Wasn't it new?  The previous episode ended with the teacher from Love Actually heading out to visit Lodge 49.  This one had Dud working for a temp agency, Liz organizing a memorial service for Dad so she could take the donations, Dud getting knighted (?), and Dud and Ernie finding a secret chamber behind the Murphy bed.

and some other stuff too.....

• Love 2

I don't understand the relationship between the woman who got fired and the older black guy.  Is this an open relationship, and does the black guy know that she's also sleeping with the hunky white dude?   

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I don't understand the relationship between the woman who got fired and the older black guy.  Is this an open relationship, and does the black guy know that she's also sleeping with the hunky white dude?   

I got the impression he knew she was seeing him "on the side" - I think he said something (maybe being laid off from her job at the paper?) would give her the chance to "do what she knows she wants to do" or something like that...?  Hopefully someone who's watching more closely can help out...

9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I got the impression he knew she was seeing him "on the side" - I think he said something (maybe being laid off from her job at the paper?) would give her the chance to "do what she knows she wants to do" or something like that...?  Hopefully someone who's watching more closely can help out...

That's the impression I got, too, but then I wondered why he put up with it, especially since in the first episode he got mad because the guy was talking to her, or dancing with her, I forget.   She must be some hot mama then.

13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Connie (the journalist) is married to Scott (the "hunky white dude" in law enforcement, but having an affair with Ernie (the "older black guy"), though we see the affair before we see the marriage.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Wasn't it new?  The previous episode ended with the teacher from Love Actually heading out to visit Lodge 49.  This one had Dud working for a temp agency, Liz organizing a memorial service for Dad so she could take the donations, Dud getting knighted (?), and Dud and Ernie finding a secret chamber behind the Murphy bed.

and some other stuff too.....

Weird.  That's the episode I watched last week.  Not sure how I managed to see the episode ahead of time though.  But there are 3 eps on the DVR for Better Call Saul and 3 eps for Lodge 49, so all is right with the universe.

2 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

What was going on with Connie when she looked to be having some kind of attack then took off and apparently went to sleep in the backseat of her car?

Thanks -- I came on here looking for the answer to the same question.  A search for a recap only turned up the following from AMC:

The next day, Ernie wakes up to Connie in his bed.

Ernie talks to Connie about his plans as Sovereign Protector. As he speaks, his head is suddenly crowned with a purple and red aura. When Ernie goes to shower, Connie grabs her stuff and runs out of the house.

Connie drives to a parking lot and takes out several pillows from her trunk before lying down in the backseat. She puts a plastic mouth guard in her mouth.

So that's no help.  BTW, for those who said they thought Dud reminded them of Kurt Russell, there's a good reason for that.  Wyatt Russell is the son of Kurt and Goldie Hawn.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Connie (the journalist) is married to Scott (the "hunky white dude" in law enforcement, but having an affair with Ernie (the "older black guy"), though we see the affair before we see the marriage.

Ok thanks.  

7 hours ago, Accidental Martyr said:

What was going on with Connie when she looked to be having some kind of attack then took off and apparently went to sleep in the backseat of her car?

I thought she was having a migraine.  I've never had a migraine but I've heard that sometimes people see an "aura" preceding an attack.  So I thought migraine, but I don't know why that would cause her to leave so quickly, and to sleep in her car, and go home to her husband.  Or why the aura would be centered over Ernie's head.  Another interesting mystery!

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I thought she was having a migraine.  I've never had a migraine but I've heard that sometimes people see an "aura" preceding an attack.  So I thought migraine, but I don't know why that would cause her to leave so quickly, and to sleep in her car, and go home to her husband.  Or why the aura would be centered over Ernie's head.  Another interesting mystery!

Epilepsy, maybe? An aura can sometimes precede a seizure (which could also explain the mouth guard and the pillows).

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:
On 8/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, Ohwell said:

And Scott doesn't seem convinced that Ernie should be next to lead the Lodge. I would think that cuckolding his Lodge brother, if it became known, would be an impediment to leadership. Along with accepting the $2k from Dud, Ernie has shown that he is not exactly a role model.

2 hours ago, Pamela said:
3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Epilepsy, maybe? An aura can sometimes precede a seizure (which could also explain the mouth guard and the pillows)

I had thought panic attack, but I missed the aura and the mouth guard.

Episode 5 was, what is it the kids say? Lit? Loved it. I thought the scene of Blaise pulling Chekhov's worm out of his nose was going to be the most hilariously cringeworthy moment -- and then Jeremy and Liz kissed. Or more accurately, "leaned in so that they lips awkwardly touched" (while a kitschy English language version of "Comment te dire adieu" plays!). But I actually loved how Jeremy, in describing why he had a crush on Liz, was all like, "you're so...smart! And capable!!!" *Funny dog leg kick* How refreshing. And the ending, when stupid me finally got why the show put Dud and Gloria together (one with a parent who disappeared suddenly, the other with one whom she feels is lingering too long). 

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 1

So this week (episode 4) we learn that Liz's debt is because she co-signed her dad's house note before he disappeared.  I'd been wondering about that.  I'm sad to see that he was (is) kind of a user. 

I really enjoy spending time with these people, and I like that the writers don't do the obvious.  The Shamrock corporate guy didn't see the jousting -- in a Chuck Lorre show, he would have.  Liz's boss is sympathetic, even though he doesn't understand her, but he's not coming on to her -- he's just trying to be supportive.   Scott isn't catching his wife and Ernie together (at least not yet) and nobody's telling on them -- or maybe he knows (?)  Neither Scott nor Connie mention him when they talk about being together.

Dud saying that when the snake bit him, he felt like "a thing that could die" -- that was affecting.  And Ernie asking what good is being alive if you're alone on a Sunday.  These people are thoughtful without hitting us over the head with it. 

How are the ratings?  I think people who watched Baskets would like this, and people who watched other low-key shows, like Downward Dog and Me, Myself and I. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I love this show.  Unfortunately, last night I watched the re-aring at around 12:15 and fell asleep towards the end.  I think I missed the last 20 minutes or so. 

Larry's back.  Ernie and Dud tracked him to a trailer in a junkyard, just a block from the Lodge.  Then he shows up leaving the bathroom in the Lodge.

The desiccated body was found by some Boy Scouts attending the Lodge's pancake breakfast.  Of course there was media, which led to the funniest scene yet in the entire series (in my opinion anyway).  The apothecary guy (Blaise) has been insisting that everyone NOT call the body a "mummy" but rather what sounded to me like corpus reliquary (or something like that).  He's being interviewed on TV, and the reporter asks about the "mummy".  Blaise loses it, says he's tired of everyone saying "mummy", and in a high voice he screams (sarcastically) "It's a mummy!", and of course him screaming "It's a mummy!" is what's aired on TV. 

• Love 4
On 8/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, SoSueMe said:

Thanks for this forum. I don't have to much to start off with, but I am 2 episodes in and I am hooked. In a strange way it reminds me of the movie "Local Hero", I don't know why.  I haven't seen "The Big Lebowski" so I guess I will need to do that to get the references.

Love Local Hero. It is quirky and I like him hanging out with the older crowd

• Love 2