Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The series completed its run in Canada before its U.S. debut. What episode is the U.S. up to? 

Episode 2 aired this past Tuesday.

From https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/carter/s01:

1 Koji the Killer
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 7, 2018
TV star Harley Carter returns to his hometown of Bishop, Ontario. His housekeeper of 30 years has been accused of murder.More

2 The Astronaut & The Lion King
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 14, 2018
A young man asks Charlie for help to prove he was not responsible for his mother's death.More

3 The Farmhand Who Bought The Farm
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 21, 2018
Harley accepts a position as a Consulting Detective in the Bishop PD. He solves his first case and earns an office in the precinct.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

2 The Astronaut & The Lion King
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 14, 2018
A young man asks Charlie for help to prove he was not responsible for his mother's death.More

Thanks. Charlie is the name of Harley's tv character (although both Harley and Charlie have the surname Carter). I don't remember the details of the episode; is there a reason why the summary uses Charlie here instead of Harley?

34 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Thanks. Charlie is the name of Harley's tv character (although both Harley and Charlie have the surname Carter). I don't remember the details of the episode; is there a reason why the summary uses Charlie here instead of Harley?

IIRC, the young man was suffering from schizoid delusions and kept addressing Harley as Charlie, even after repeated attempts by Harley to explain that his fictional character was Charlie, but that he himself was Harley.
So that could be why.
Or the person tasked with writing the episode description got confused, LOL.
Put a C in front of Harley and you've got Charley.
Now I'm wondering if that episode grew out of the writers' realization/discussion about how the audience might confuse the two similar names, and so they wrote a bit of dialogue in which the main character attempts explains the difference.

• Love 2

It seems like Castle has spawned a number of high-profile-person-joins-up-with-a-professional-to-solve-crimes.  Or maybe it was Remington Steele that started it.

Right now, Private Eyes, Take Two, and Carter are all summer shows on right now with this trope.  I think the success of a show depends on the charisma and believablility of the fish-out-of-water character as well as the chemistry between the leads.

I think Carter passes the test.  Jerry O'Connell is likable and goofy but can be series when needed.  I like the group of three with Sydney Tamiia Poitier and Kristian Bruun rather than relying on a twosome, and while Dot unfortunately is the trope of the snarky Asian, she is fun.

All three shows have also brought on the ex for their characters.  I dreaded seeing Carter's ex-wife but by the end of the episode, I liked and respected them both.

• Love 2

Wasn't The Mentalist before Castle? I haven't seen Private Eye and while Take Two has a certain charm I prefer Carter. I like the variations: that detective and amateur know each other since childhood and especially that we're talking more about a trio than a duo here. Anyone who watched Orphan Black knows Kristian Brunn is terrfifc.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Wasn't The Mentalist before Castle?

Good catch. The Mentalist started in 2008, the year before Castle.

12 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I like the variations: that detective and amateur know each other since childhood and especially that we're talking more about a trio than a duo here.

I think it makes the show better for a few reasons.  Because there are three of them, it avoids the heavy handed pushing of the male and female lead together (as in. Take Two for example).  And since they all great up together, when Sam and Dave tease Harley about his wild ideas, it's because they've spent decades being affected by those ideas, not because they take an instant disdain to a guy they don't really know.  The Chief takes that role.

Poitier and Bruun also have an ease about them around Carter that's fun to watch.

• Love 4
On 8/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, MissLucas said:

Anyone who watched Orphan Black knows Kristian Brunn is terrfifc.

That was his best role. He was also pretty good in Murdoch Mysteries (aka The Artful Detective) for several seasons. I was thrilled to see him in this, it was what drew me to Carter in the first place. He's got fans!

• Love 3

I just watched episode 3, "The Farmhand Who Bought The Farm" and realized this show is a lot more like Psych than Castle, except for both male leads playing goofy—which Psych did more than Castle anyway.

Also, I just realized that Jerry O'Connell's physicality is a lot like my ex-husband's was way back when we were in our 30s—which was very distracting and a little disturbing.

ON AUGUST 16, 2018 AT 10:50 PM, SHAPESHIFTER SAID:

Episode 2 aired this past Tuesday.

From https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/carter/s01:

1 Koji the Killer
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 7, 2018
TV star Harley Carter returns to his hometown of Bishop, Ontario. His housekeeper of 30 years has been accused of murder.More

2 The Astronaut & The Lion King
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 14, 2018

3 The Farmhand Who Bought The Farm
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 21, 2018
Harley accepts a position as a Consulting Detective in the Bishop PD. He solves his first case and earns an office in the precinct.

And:

4  Harley's Got a Gun
[U.S.] Air date: Aug 28, 2018
Dot, Carter's housekeeper, teaches him how to use a gun. Everyone at a tech startup company becomes a suspect when the body of a partner is found.

5  Pig, Man, Lion
Harley and Sam investigate the murder of a loan officer for a local bank.

6  The Flood
Harley, Sam and members of a wedding party are trapped in the police station during a storm. Armed militia-types hunt them because of a wedding guest's dark secret.

7  Kiki-Loki
Harley and Sam investigate the sudden death of the actor who played a beloved mascot.

8  Voiceover
An obnoxious shock jock dies on air during a broadcast.

9  Happy Campers
Dave, Harley and Sam check into a northern resort to leave their work behind for a fun weekend.

10  The Ring
A new clue surfaces in the mystery of Harley's mother's death just as the producer of "Call Carter" arrives into Bishop

• Love 3

OK, if they're going to play the "I've got a hunch and I'm right." (and then he is) card every week, I'm out, despite my love of Kristian Brunn. It's not one of his best roles anyway, despite how good he is at it. I'm on Team Sam and would have dumped the idiot ASAP, mayor or no mayor. Have a feeling this is a one and done. I can't see it getting renewed.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:14 PM, statsgirl said:

It seems like Castle has spawned a number of high-profile-person-joins-up-with-a-professional-to-solve-crimes.  Or maybe it was Remington Steele that started it.

The amateur detective has been a literary and television genre for quite a while. I think it's because it helps the reader have a "relatable" character who isn't necessarily expected to be a wiz at solving crimes and so they learn as the audience learns.

Remington Steele was a version of the amateur who joined forces with the experienced PI.  But he wasn't high profile. In fact, his value was in the fact that he was unknown which is why Laura Holt could rename him as her imaginary male figurehead for her agency.  Scarecrow and Mrs. King was similar in that Mrs. King was unknown and started working with an international spy.

Moonlighting is the first example (that I can think of) where the amateur partner was a high profile figure.  Maddie was a well known model before she joined David investigating at their PI firm. Then we have one of the most successful versions of amateur detective who teams up with the police with Jessica Fletcher in Murder She Wrote.

On 8/18/2018 at 7:23 PM, MissLucas said:

Wasn't The Mentalist before Castle?

It was--although it felt very similar to Psych except The Mentalist was high profile while Shawn Spencer was not.

As for Carter, I did like the first two episodes I saw but last night's wasn't as enjoyable for me. I do like the twist that the three of them have a long history which adds some depth and light heartedness. 

• Love 3

S01.E04: Harley's Got a Gun

Harley learns that shooting people isn't so easy during an investigation into the death of a tech entrepreneur.

The character of Harley grew in sweet and endearingness in this episode, and his relationship with Sam dialed back to platonic — each of which earn a thumbs up from me. Everything is always better with Kristian Bruun. I think this show could only be made in Canada—assuming Canadians are generally as nice as their reputations.

• Love 4

Is dueling really a thing?

I know Dot is over-the-top but I still find her hilarious. Shooting three bottles at once as so good.

I also love the female coder putting a sign on her desk saying that she's not the receptionist.

• Love 4

I'm enjoying this show - probably more than I thought I would.  So far no characters are annoying, the closest thing might be that they police chief is a little over the top but only a little.  They're good at call backs to previous episodes (loved seeing the prison cell door being removed, their quiet way of saying a remodel of his "office" was coming).  And, mostly, especially because it's a summer series, I like that it has humor and isn't trying to be serious deep and dramatic for the whole episode every episode.  Dave's whole "I'll get you a gun" speech was a great funny moment.

If there was any wish list (besides wishing the show success and to keep up what they're doing right) I'd say wish for Carter to grow in his consulting role and become smarter about investigating real crime.  Right now it's obvious he's more lucky with a bit of intuition thrown in than smart, like the way he kept yelling after hearing the gunshots in E4 while Dot knew the shooter(s) could be bad and they should sneak up on them.  They need to show a little learning curve for him and I wonder if that'll come as part of getting new clues about his Mother's disappearance (not spoiled for future episodes, just a guess on how it would go).  But, for now, it's a pretty fun easy show to watch.

• Love 5

I am also enjoying this show, but then I have loved Jerry O'Connell since Sliders. Plus I have enjoyed him on the morning talk shows (Hoda  & Kathie Lee) when he is a guest and he was hilarious when I happened to catch him filling in for Wendy Williams once.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I'm enjoying this show - probably more than I thought I would.  So far no characters are annoying, the closest thing might be that they police chief is a little over the top but only a little.…    …I like that it has humor and isn't trying to be serious deep and dramatic for the whole episode every episode.  Dave's whole "I'll get you a gun" speech was a great funny moment.

Yes, yes, and yes, but:

7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I wonder if that'll come as part of getting new clues about his Mother's disappearance

I'm dreading this Mom plot arc. I watched every episode of The Mentalist because I loved the concept of the main character and how he fit in with the professional crime fighters/solvers, but I hated the Red John plot—I kept telling myself maybe that story arc would go away. Please, show, keep the Momdrama on the back burner—or better yet, get it over with stat! 

• Love 1

just watched the latest one. good show as usual but the red headed theater actress was so so so bad in her actual acting, i was taken out of the last bit of the show. my goodness, she even moved awkwardly. are there not enough actors looking for work in canada . she was terrible. 

I guess this^^ episode's (#5) title, "Pig, Man, Lion" was not much more than a red herring? It was what the gossipy Canadian-version-Valley-Girl-speaking bank employees thought the bank manager called her lover (she called him "Pygmalion"). Or maybe the person in charge of titles thought the show was so bad that this was the best part of that script? If so, I'd say that person should take a second look. This show is campy, endearing fun, with a 70s-TV-style grumpy boss to boot. Carter is Mary Richards for our time. And, in this episode, Carter, who has the perfect persona to deliver a #MeToo message, stands up to an egotistical, abusive director who, in turn, is sincerely repentent as only the nicest of Canadians can be.

• Love 2

I’m loving this show more with each episode.

“Are you...? Of course you’re not ok.”

“A finger will suffice. It’s not a puppet show.” Lolololololol

I think what I really love about this show is the writing. It keeps calling out all that bullshit that others show shovel on us. And in a really well done, sophisticated but still comical way. Even compared to other shows like this, where there’s a fictional actor/writer/etc meets “real” cop/PI/etc. 

I kinda like how Sam doesn’t need saving but Carter keeps trying in an instinctual way as a person he cares about AND doesn’t get butthurt when she handles it herself. And they can joke and call him out on his silly Hollywood acting-isms without being nasty or belittling. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

“A finger will suffice. It’s not a puppet show.” Lolololololol

LOLOLOL! 

The writers must be really nice people themselves, or else they couldn't write these characters. Even the cheating wife was nice. And the Barney Fife cop who let the bad guys get his gun and then his keys, eventually takes down a bad guy, redeeming himself l

I like how they keep giving Harley little Sherlockian crime solving bits of knowledge, like recognizing that the bad guys' accents were Chechan rather than Russian because of his TV character having gone undercover as a Chechan.

• Love 3
On 9/7/2018 at 8:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

I guess this^^ episode's (#5) title, "Pig, Man, Lion" was not much more than a red herring? It was what the gossipy Canadian-version-Valley-Girl-speaking bank employees thought the bank manager called her lover (she called him "Pygmalion").

Pygmalion was one of the plays Carter found in Dead Guy's house, along with the mining disaster play. That and the gossip linked Angelica to Dead Guy's fraud scheme to support the theater.

• Love 1
On 9/7/2018 at 9:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

I guess this^^ episode's (#5) title, "Pig, Man, Lion" was not much more than a red herring?

No; Communism was just a red herring.

Sorry, sorry, sorry - I love that movie and can't hear the words "red herring" in anything but Tim Curry's voice!

I thought the Pig, Man, Lion episode was the weakest so far but I also admit to being dead tired watching it and I may have zoned out more than once.  Loved The Flood though, even the ex-wife didn't grate like a stereotype. And Dot is becoming a favorite character.

• Love 3

1.7 "Kiki Loki":

Harley's "junior" agent has gotten him a highly paid spot in a commercial for a Japanese energy drink. When the actor playing the beloved mascot for the company dies on set, it is up to Harley and Sam to find the person who is heartless enough to commit such a crime. Who will become the new mascot to uncover the death of the old mascot?

I loved Harley not even pretending to buy into the cult of Kiki Loki while at the same time Dai points out that the cult of Santa Claus was based on a man who had slaves (elves) making toys which he used as an excuse to break into people's homes.

I kept wondering if the writers had the same 1980s plush toy as my kids, an Ellaroo:

image.jpeg

• Love 6

I've only watched the first two episodes, and so far I like it although I don't love it. I was not familiar with Kristian Bruun but am loving him -- seems like he has the best lines, or at least the best delivery of his lines. He makes me laugh out loud.

I tuned in after watching (and liking) Jerry O'Connell as Sheldon's brother on TBBT. I wish he was a little less goofy here but all in all, I like it. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I've only watched the first two episodes, and so far I like it although I don't love it. I was not familiar with Kristian Bruun but am loving him -- seems like he has the best lines, or at least the best delivery of his lines. He makes me laugh out loud.

I tuned in after watching (and liking) Jerry O'Connell as Sheldon's brother on TBBT. I wish he was a little less goofy here but all in all, I like it. I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Kristian Bruun was 10 times funnier in Orphan Black, where he was sharing the screen with Emmy-winner Tatiana Maslany. OB is much more of a drama, but with comic relief.

I really enjoy the goofiness of JO'C here. For me it's a total mood lightener.

• Love 4

i don't think this show is going to last. i like jerry o'connell but he has no chemistry with his policewoman friend. she is so blah. i like the scenes with his other friends and his japanese house sitters. the last few crimes have been boring. i ff'd most of the last episode. 

1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

I knew it was the editor as soon as he came on. I mean you don’t cast Martin Donovan, a total HiTG, for a small role so he had to be the killer. 

Yeah. That was my reaction too. For a quick moment I thought maybe he was a red herring--but this show is not that complicated.

• Love 1

The last episode I've watched was with the tech company who shot at each other with antique dueling pistols. Suspected it was the girl neighbor, knew it when she came to the police station and flirted with Harley. Considering he is a bona fide TV star, it seems weird that other women aren't hitting on him, which made the girl's actions stand out.

I'm okay with the girl cop friend staying platonic (it's a nice change of pace), and I still think his friend played by Kristian Bruun is the best part of the show.

• Love 2

I've been searching the net too for info but couldn't find anything on season 2 start.  It was a summer show last year so probably will be again this year.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm wondering if season 2 will happen with Jerry O'Connell being so darn busy.

I was wondering that myself since I heard on Wendy that he was getting a talk show.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought he had already filmed the Carter episodes.

That's what I thought too. And it doesn't make sense for him to be at the press event if there isn't a second season of the show.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought he had already filmed the Carter episodes.

I don't think so. There's an article titled "Jerry O’Connell’s series Carter returning to North Bay" from January 24, 2019, but at the end of the article it just says, "No official shoot dates for season two have been released at this time, but the show says it will be this spring." I'm not sure what "the show says" means, but I think they are referring to the show's FaceBook page, since it's the only source mentioned.

The Carter FB page is at facebook.com/CarterCDN/ and just says "Season 2 Coming Soon," which could mean anything, in my jaded opinion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2