Type keyword(s) to search

Doom Patrol Season One Discussion: Cockroach Love

• Start Topic

Suddenly a wild Mark Sheppard appears! Playing what Constantine would be like in an alternate universe! Awesome! I love how many weird turns this show takes, while still making more or less sense. Hive mind Nazis making supervillains! A town getting sucked up a donkeys ass! A murder cult with a lost city inside a snow globe! 

So Chief actually talked to the being inside of Larry, and never told him? Looking pretty shady there, Chief. I guess Not Constantine was right, they didnt know all there was to know about him. Also, I am totally with Larry on trusting the horse head more than Kipling. 

"Giant clowns? NOPE!" 

Liked everything with Elliot and Rita, and seeing Rita actually control her powers a bit. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Playing what Constantine would be like in an alternate universe!

I found out on a podcast that, at the time, DC restricted Constantine to only appear in Vertigo books, and Morrison's Doom Patrol was mainline DCU, so he wasn't allowed to use him.  So he created his own version.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On 3/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, MarkHB said:

I found out on a podcast that, at the time, DC restricted Constantine to only appear in Vertigo books, and Morrison's Doom Patrol was mainline DCU, so he wasn't allowed to use him.  So he created his own version.

Kipling's Wikipedia entry confirms he was an intentional Constantine copycat in the comics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willoughby_Kipling

I really loved the cultists' costumes this episode. They were beautiful and haunting at the same time. The costume designer for this show is Laura Jean Shannon who has alot of super hero movies on her IMDB page including Scott Pilgrim vs The World where I definitely see a resemblance. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0788320/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr11

I thought this episode was fantastic. It was zany and action-packed. I really enjoy how anti-super hero this show is. It's a refreshing change.

• Love 4

Puppy!

Episode 5: Paw Patrol (2019.03.15)

With the Apocalypse in full swing, the Doom Patrol must work with an unlikely ally – and a very special pug – to stop the end of the world.

Tell your friends... DC Universe is making the first episodes of Titans, Doom Patrol and Young Justice: Outsiders available for free viewing until March 29!  (Parental discretion is advised 😉 ).

• Love 2

Anyone keeping track of how many of Jane’s personalities we’ve seen so far? Jane is my favorite (followed closely by Cliff) and the way they keep slowly teasing out her backstory is both interesting and frustrating because I’m impatient.

I don’t like Cyborg. I just got really annoyed when he insisted on using Mr. Nobody’s name around the Chief when everyone told him to stop. I understand why he took charge at first- the others were pretty incompetent. But he’s shown he’s only marginally better at this superhero thing.

I haven’t been paying enough attention because I can’t remember why Mr. Nobody hates the Chief but I was glad to see Mr. Nobody back.

When Rita told Elliot they could do anything he wanted I thought he was about to ask her to have sex, but then he disappeared and I was not expecting that. Did he not come back because he wasn’t a real person?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I haven’t been paying enough attention because I can’t remember why Mr. Nobody hates the Chief but I was glad to see Mr. Nobody back.

According to the Nazi puppet show, the Chief came into the lab in Paraguay and started shooting things up when Morden was in the metahuman birthing chamber, which apparently led in some way to his becoming Mr. Nobody.

• Useful 1

I love how Cliffs reactions to the weird stuff that happens to him is usually just yelling "what the fuck?!" over and over. Its pretty understandable. 

I want to know more about Jane's backstory, there is clearly a lot more going on. I like meeting her personalities, but Jane herself is still my favorite, although the one who can make words appear by speaking and use them as weapons has the best power. And how does she still look young when she was a young woman in the mid 70s? A part of her powers? Does she nevr age? Is she immortal? 

Save the puppy dog, save the world! More shows should have a running gag of a cockroach who is constantly prophesying about the end of days and screams about it as stuff is happening, even though apparently rats are the only ones listening. 

Poor Larry. Poor Rita. Tough one for everyone, really. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Megras said:

Does anyone know if this is coming to the UK? a brief search of my usual sources can't find anything, but I could just be failing.

I'm guessing it will be on International Netflix, as Titans is, but it hasn't been announced yet.

Just finished watching the "Doom Patrol Patrol" episode. Wow. Was that a sad, dark turn of events. Without spoiling anything, I liked the Niles reveal and I think the season ender is shaping up to be different than I expected from the onset of the season. I love it when shows aren't predictable!

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

Just finished watching the "Doom Patrol Patrol" episode. Wow. Was that a sad, dark turn of events. Without spoiling anything, I liked the Niles reveal and I think the season ender is shaping up to be different than I expected from the onset of the season. I love it when shows aren't predictable!

Was a good episode.. I did walk away intrigued with the doctor who's still there.. What are his powers??  How did negative man know him... 

• Love 3

Forgot to post this...

Episode 6: Doom Patrol Patrol (2019.03.22)

Following a clue left by Mr. Nobody, Jane, Larry and Rita visit a school where Niles’ previous team of heroes, the original Doom Patrol has retired. Meanwhile, Cliff and Vic tenuously bond over their mutual “father issues.”

That sure did take a dark turn. I mean, dang, that just became super depressing super quickly. Really good episode, less wacky than the other have been and much more tragic. Its pretty impressive, I so rarely know whats going to happen on this show next.

The follow up with Vegetable Man and his failed attempt at robbery were much needed comic relief. 

• Love 1

Episode 7: Therapy Patrol (2019.03.29)

After a violent outburst from Cliff, the team engages in some self-led group therapy – leading to some growth within the group as they are knit closer together.

For those who are looking ahead, next week's title has already been announced... look at the Clips tab on the Doom Patrol page on the app. And, get pumped!

Gotta say, I was really creeped out when Jane's father(?) was standing over the baby with a lit cigarette in his hand.  You hear stories...

A backstory episode like this didn't feel necessary at this point, I think we pretty much get the characters by now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cdnalor said:

Gotta say, I was really creeped out when Jane's father(?) was standing over the baby with a lit cigarette in his hand.  You hear stories...

A backstory episode like this didn't feel necessary at this point, I think we pretty much get the characters by now.

Well I still don't really know much about Jane.. I feel like cliff and Rita have the most backstory so far... We know Larry was in the closet and that screwed up all his other stuff.. Jane as far as I know was born on the 50s I guess and at some point may have been abused... Vic.. I mean I don't think his origin is the same in the comics and I feel like the origin we've seen is probably some kind of lie... So I wouldn't mind a bit. Oreo info on him... Also did Rita give up a child??  Have an abortion??...  All these characters are old except Vic who at best is around 40 years their junior.. So does Jane have kids.. Or grandkids... What about larry's family?? 

• Love 2

"I’m just a woodland creature!"

"Who told you that?!"

I love that this show just has sentient animals that sometimes interact with the plot, and its never really commented on, its just another weird part of this world. Its hilarious. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

Just started watching . Maybe its just having Dalton around but I cant help wondering if this show could work if it was set in the 1910's as a Penny Dreadful sequel.  Aside from Cyborg nobody has any powers that require them to be  in 2018.  Or even 1970.

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2019 at 11:50 AM, cdnalor said:

I agree. There needed to be some fallout from last week's episode, but the information we learned was superfluous.

I wish they would have focused on the Chief throwing away the original Doom Patrol, his plan to dump Jane there, and what might be in store for everyone else.

Instead, they focused on Cliff's daughter's storyline which I don't think was well done. I didn't even realize her "dad" was Cliff's dad until Cliff blurted it out in the confrontation.

Also I was confused about Jane's painting. What was the bombshell?

This episode was a let down after how good the previous episode was. Lots of plot holes for important information and a repeat of information we already knew.

Episode 8: Danny Patrol (2019.04.05)

A sentient, gender-queer, teleporting street named Danny who’s being hunted by the secret Bureau of Normalcy needs help from Niles – but gets Vic and Larry instead.

• Love 1

Karen is the worst.

I was not disappointed by Danny The Street. I wish we got to see more of Dannyzens having a good time and living their best lives, but I love what we did get to see. I also loved the songs. I had tears in my eyes during People Like Us and was a little heartbroken it was all in Larry's imagination.

• Love 8

I love how once Maura Lee explained that Danny is a sentient, gender-queer, teleporting street Larry and Vic just accepted it. They’ve come to the point where they stopped questioning weird stuff and just accept things as they are.

I did not recognize that the agent at the beginning was Maura Lee until he actually sat down and told Larry and Vic his story. I felt dumb for not making that connection.

5 hours ago, steelyis said:

I had tears in my eyes during People Like Us and was a little heartbroken it was all in Larry's imagination.

I watched the performance twice before moving on to the rest of the episode. I’m not familiar with the song. Is it an original, or is my Shazam not up-to-date?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I love how once Maura Lee explained that Danny is a sentient, gender-queer, teleporting street Larry and Vic just accepted it. They’ve come to the point where they stopped questioning weird stuff and just accept things as they are.

I did not recognize that the agent at the beginning was Maura Lee until he actually sat down and told Larry and Vic his story. I felt dumb for not making that connection.

I watched the performance twice before moving on to the rest of the episode. I’m not familiar with the song. Is it an original, or is my Shazam not up-to-date?

The original is by Kelly Clarkson. I don't know who did the singing for this episode, but I do know two actors who suck at lip syncing.

Cliff dancing with the kid was hilarious.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I don't know who did the singing for this episode,...

The lip-sync seemed fine to me - and I can't vouch for Alan Mingo Jr., who plays Maura Lee, but I'm fairly certain Bomer provided his own vocals. It sounded like his previous vocal work on Glee, Magic Mike 2 and White Collar:

• Love 4
On 4/6/2019 at 3:06 PM, giovannif7 said:

The lip-sync seemed fine to me - and I can't vouch for Alan Mingo Jr., who plays Maura Lee, but I'm fairly certain Bomer provided his own vocals. It sounded like his previous vocal work on Glee, Magic Mike 2 and White Collar:

Alan Mingo Jr. is a Broadway actor. He was in Kinky Boots and the Little Mermaid as Sebastian.

• Love 4

I loved the Danny the Street plotline. From the IMDB credits, it looked like they used alot of actual drag queens in the first song number. One of the things I like most about this show is how they're featuring non-humanoid characters. I think it makes the show crazy interesting and unique.

I did not like the Karen plot at all. I'm guessing because she's a personality made up for the show. I'm sure this is probably nitpicking, but I hate it when time references are incorrectly used. Karen was fixated on the 90s but used newer lingo than the 90s like "extra". I think the only 90s term she used was "cool beans". Her outfit looked like something Rita would wear. A line skirts were definitely not a thing in the 90s. One other note, Rita used "invite" as a noun a few episodes ago which to me was a very Un-Rita thing to do since that trend is very recent and she still speaks in her time period, generally.

This episode was better than last week's but one of the weaker episodes this season.

• Love 1

This was one of the best episodes of the season, not because of the Karen plot, but because of Danny Street. I loved the concept, the characters, the Bureau of Normalcy, the musical interlude with Larry and Maura Lee. I loved everything.

Comparing this show to Titans is like night and day. They're both dark, but while Titans is mostly Pretty People Wangst, Doom Patrol is a deep and dark and weird tale about broken misfits looking for a reason to keep going. This is the show that DC Universe should have lead off with. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Danny the Street is such an awesome addition to this weird, wonderful show. Loved everything about that gender-queer sentient transporting street. Loved that whole plot, with the agent turned drag queen, the Bureau of Normality and Larry's history with them, and the big show stopping musical number with Larry and the drag queens! I was sad that it was just in his head, but it sounded like he really did sing at the victory party at least!

Cliff and the kid dressed as a robot, who he apparently just told his whole life story to, was great as well. 

• Love 4

Episode IX: Jane Patrol (2019.04.12)

Jane retreats into The Underground, a treacherous place deep within her own mindspace, where she encounters her many personas and dark traumas of her past.

Brendon Fraser actually gets to act as himself for a bit! Nice to see you Cliff! I really like the relationship between Cliff and Jane, so it was nice to see more of it here. 

Jane's inner world was really cool and creepy, and I liked seeing more of her personalities, and how they "work" for her. Jane might look the most "normal" of the Doom Patrol, but she might be internally the oddest one of all. She has had a seriously messed up life, god dang. 

Cliffs just like "well it wasnt really me, exactly, there was a rat in my head..."

• Love 3

This was a really good episode. I thought they did a great job of highlighting the uniqueness of each personality but still making them recognizable even if they didn't look like Jane. I'm glad Jane saved herself in the end instead of Cliff coming to her rescue.

Still wondering what the purpose of the therapy episode was. They could have easily combined that episode with the Karen episode.

Still really enjoying this show.

• Love 1

Episode 10: Hair Patrol (2019.04.20)

Vic and Rita find the mansion infiltrated by Ernest Franklin, a dangerous man called The Beard Hunter, who’s been activated by the Bureau of Normalcy to find Niles Caulder.  Meanwhile, we learn the tragic love story between Caulder and an immortal woman named Slava that started Niles on the path towards the man we know today.

Mr. Nobody: "You've always been a man comfortable with compromise, Niles. I mean, after all, you fell in love with a Canadian." 

Also: the voice of the mother was Joan Van Ark?????

• Love 5

So the Chief fell in love with an ancient Wendigo/psychic cave lady in the Yukon in the early turn of the century and thats why he is the way he is, saving people who have weird stuff going on and living forever? Not what I expected, but...Doom Patrol! 

So many beards this week. Chief and his girlfriend and their matching beards, the magic beardo and his beard powers, beards everywhere!

• Love 1

I have mixed feelings over this week's episode. While, I did love that they modernized the Beard Hunter and gave him an actual super power while keeping him as comic relief, I could have done without the actual beard eating, numerous saliva closeups, and sex with a cave woman.

Niles is definitely a conundrum. He has a retirement home for discarded super heroes, but this episode showed his protector origins. I expect there will be an episode showing an event that bridges the two. I least, I hope there will be! :D

• Love 3

I forgot this last week, but please don't think you need to wait for me to start discussing...

Episode 11: Frances Patrol (2019.04.26)

While Larry pays a visit to his long-lost love, Cliff and Rita travel to Gator Country to reconnect with his daughter. Vic worries about his operating system.

For me, the whole Cliff & Clara story is the most touching, so I loved this one.  Nice meeting grown-up Clara, too!

• Love 1

I was most affected by Larry's story and the contrast between John's full life and Larry's lack of one.  It's mind-boggling to think how many decades Larry and Rita have wasted just spinning their wheels in Caulder's house.

Cliff's story was just so-so for me mainly because I find the "I can't tell her because reasons!" type of story so frustrating and trite but there were moments where I could understand his motives.  Her adopted dad's funeral was certainly not the time to reveal himself.

• Love 3
(edited)

Cliff giving the watch to his daughter and leaving was probably for the best. I do think he should reach out to Clara, but her adopted fathers (who Cliff hates) funeral isnt the right place to dump all that on her. I do want him to get to have some kind of relationship with her though, he misses her so much. 

Oh Larry. I am glad he got to get closure with John after all this time, and that John went on to live a full life, but its so sad knowing how much time Larry has wasted hiding away in that mansion. I mean, he hasent been with anyone since JFK! I hope that this inspires him to actually get a life and get out there, even if it might be a bit of a challenge, what with the mummy look and all. 

I love the running gag with vegetable man and his dinosaur second head in the background. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Episode 12: Cyborg Patrol (2019.05.03)

With Vic captured by the Bureau of Normalcy and held at the Ant Farm, his father, Silas Stone, hatches a plan to break him out with the rest of the Doom Patrol, but everything doesn't go according to plan.

Good Lord, this show is weird.  I wonder if we'll ever get the backstory of the rampaging butts?

It was my understanding that Larry was unconscious when Negative Man left his body.  Either I missed a plot point or somebody goofed.

And how much empty space does Cliff have in that robot body?  A rat running around in there, I can believe, but Rita has considerable mass despite being malleable.

This show seems to have a thing for long-lived characters.  That prisoner Vic was talking to claimed to have been there since the 60s but looked to be in his thirties.

This was a decent action-oriented episode with the kind of off-the-wall humor I expect from the show, but I'm wondering if there will be a resolution to the search for Niles Caulder story this season.

• Love 3
(edited)

So after a couple of slower episodes we're back with a doozy.

1. I replayed the whole Ace of Base scene a few times.  Really Jane could be a series all by herself.  A question. Is the Karen alter played by a different actress to Jane ? Or is it just hair colour and makeup ?

2.  They really didnt think through the whole  lets free everyone bit.  They should have realized some of the inmates would actually be dangerous. The butts scene resembled the Flood from Halo.  Are they going to have to blow up the facility?

3. Mr Nobody is Heath ledger's Joker with reality warping powers.   Its a bit of a pity he wont ever make it to the big screen.

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 2

You know, I don't typically have a problem with the so-called grimdark stuff. I understood where MoS and BvS were coming from and love them both. Give me a decent Shadow film any day.

But I think I just watched Cyborg beat his own father to death and I don't know how to process it.

Boo fucking ya.

• Love 2

I thought a crawling nipple would be the weirdest thing I’d see on TV this week. Now, there’s running butts. Sometimes I swear that Legends of Tomorrow and Doom Patrol are trying to one up each other.

2 hours ago, The Kings Foot said:

Is the Karen alter played by a different actress to Jane ? Or is it just hair colour and makeup ?

It’s the same actress. Diane Guerrero has done a great job of creating very distinct alters.

So Silas really is dead? Wow. Mr. Nobody is no joke.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

It’s the same actress. Diane Guerrero has done a great job of creating very distinct alters.

So Silas really is dead? Wow. Mr. Nobody is no joke.

Yeah, Diane has been amazing.  I don't watch OINTB but this is certainly more interesting work for her than running a taco truck on Superior Donuts was.

Silas could be alive; now that it's daylight I hope he is and Mr. Nobody put up his "You won!" graphic too soon.  But I would put Mr. Nobody at worse than Ledger's Joker.  Mr. Nobody, when he goes after you, literally wants to destroy your soul.

OTOH, the full-body shot of Mr. Nobody was amazing!

• Love 3

So, I binge watched all the first eleven episodes in about two days and just got around to watching the latest episode. What a great series; I even skipped two days of live television watching for this show.

18 hours ago, cdnalor said:

It was my understanding that Larry was unconscious when Negative Man left his body.  Either I missed a plot point or somebody goofed.

I don't think it was necessarily a goof. I think it was implied that Negative Man kept Larry unconscious, as seen with him manipulating Larry's dreams when he left his body. I don't think it's been explained on this show exactly what Negative Man is and what he can do, but I assume he intentionally kept Larry unconscious for his own reasons (torture, I guess). 

The action scenes in this episode were fun. I mean, literal monster butts to the point of a higher up military official offing himself? Damn, those butts didn't come to play.

Silas is dead, it seems. No surprise if he actually does stay dead, as I assume he will. Mr. Nobody used Vic's biggest weakness: his dad. With Vic being portrayed as the villain from Jane's painting, he needed a reason to go full Cyborg and getting rid of his dad, just like his mom, ensures that. 

Karen is such a little shit, but I gotta admit that I'm entertained; she's such an antagonist to Jane and causing more trouble than she's worth. 

I laugh at Cliff's reactions to practically everything being just him shouting a variation of "Fuck!" He can be super dramatic and I'm amused every time it happens.

It is interesting to watch Larry and Negative Man slowly warm up to each other. 

• Love 4

Mr. Nobody really is one scary SOB. I know that this show can go to dark places, but Vic being tricked into beating his dad to death is just...damn. I hope that Silas is actually alive. 

These Normalcy assholes have got some balls operating this creepy normal supremacy group when the freaking Justice League exists in this universe. Yeah, if they want to get rid of everything weird in this world, i think the boat has sort of sailed on that one by this point. And yes, I did use assholes as a pun. Its not every day you see a rampaging horde of butts attacking people, but...thats Doom Patrol for you. 

Interesting seeing Larry and the energy being inside of him kind of bonding, or at least becoming more of a partnership. 

• Love 3

Episode 13: Flex Patrol (2019.05.10)

The Doom Patrol tries to restore the memories and abilities of Flex Mentallo, while Rita confronts her self-doubt and Larry realizes how tied he is to the Negative Spirit.

• Love 1

1. I'm very glad that Pops Stone isn't dead.

2. I predict that the mystery baby will turn out to be Jane... and Mr. Nobody will reveal that at the worst possible moment for the team.

3. I still think they all die in the finale.

So Flex Mentallo is yet another character who doesn't age normally.  I don't know why this bugs me, but it does.  It makes me wonder why they didn't just set the show in the fifties or sixties if they wanted people from around that time period.  It seems that this unusual longevity should have some significance that I'm not seeing right now.

So now the Negative Being can exist separately from Larry without rendering him unconscious because of Forsythe at the Ant Farm?  Except Larry  needs it to keep on living so they're still stuck with each other.

Maybe I'm jaded, but Rita's dark secret doesn't seem so bad.  She must have seen the same sad story played out a dozen times in old Hollywood.  Of course, her acting as a pimp is nothing to be proud of, but it's not like she is responsible for other people's actions.

Two episodes left and we've covered everyone's backstory, except for how Jane obtained multiple super-powers to go with her personalities.  I assume we'll get that before the showdown with Mr. Nobody.

Then maybe a season two? (crossed fingers)

• Love 2