Type keyword(s) to search

Patriot Act With Hasan Minhaj - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved the first two; interesting and funny discussions about NOT TRUMP. Kind of in the vein of John Oliver's deep dives into more arcane subjects.

I support affirmative action in general but can see the flaws, which Hasan covered. The Saudi stuff was more informative to me because I'm not as knowledgeable about that area of the world as I should be.

Much like Trevor on his show, I appreciate the personal experience and cultural knowledge that Hasan brings to the table.

Big ups!!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 10

I liked the use of the graphics and information in his big stand up show, so I like that he's using it here too. 

7 hours ago, 2727 said:

Much like Trevor on his show, I appreciate the personal experience and cultural knowledge that Hasan brings to the table.

We need much more of this. 

• Love 2

I recommended the show to my sister but she said Hasan is way too jumpy for her. Hey, I call it energy!

Had to look up JUUL, migos, and "go hard in the paint," so thanks to Hasan for adding to my pop cultural savings bank of millennial speak.

I tried to give up Amazon when they raised the annual fee again this year but caved. Lazy line in the sand got me, too. Amazon is crack!

• Love 3

I watched the first two episodes this weekend but am already behind because I didn't watch the new release on Sunday.  I'm not sure how I felt about it -- I enjoyed it but I didn't love it, I guess?

I remember learning that Saudi Arabia was actually named for the ruling family, which is bananas.  My analogy has always been if the USA were Washington's America.

I guess I'm as old as the CNBC people, cause I also didn't know who Supreme was. In fact didn't recognize a lot of the street wear companies, except for Stussy  -only because just last week, while visiting New York, my brother wanted me to pick up something for him from their store. That shit is expensive for no reason. But my brother has fallen for they hype.

• Love 4

I got a few weeks behind because I was busy, so now I'm bummed that the Barbara Kruger shirt is already sold out (but in the true spirit of the story, there are of course knock offs available)!

https://thecarlylesupremium.com/collections/all

I only recently learned about Barbara Kruger due to her Your Body Is a Battleground artwork. You can read more about Supreme plagiarizing Barbara Kruger here and Supreme suing Leah McSweeney over her Supreme Bitch merchandise.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I'm going to take it as a good sign for the show that the shirts sold out. It's so hard to guess what the ratings are for Netflix shows, but this seems like as good a gauge as any that it's doing well.

They ordered 32 epidodes for the first season so it appears they have a lot of confidence in it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'm going to take it as a good sign for the show that the shirts sold out. It's so hard to guess what the ratings are for Netflix shows, but this seems like as good a gauge as any that it's doing well.

Good point! The website said there were only 100 but I wasn’t sure if that was 100 shirts total (meaning 20 of each shirt) or 100 of each shirt. Either way, people were motivated enough to buy them which is a good sign!

On 11/18/2018 at 8:21 PM, dkb said:

I guess I'm as old as the CNBC people, cause I also didn't know who Supreme was.

I didn't either until tonight. I thought that episode was going to be kind of lame because I don't really care about "street wear" because the people who actually wear aren't really from the street, but it was really informative, and when Hasan directed into a study about hype, I was riveted. Plus, the 'sneaker expert' was gold.

Overall, this was a strong effort from the start. 

• Love 5
On 11/18/2018 at 7:21 PM, dkb said:

I guess I'm as old as the CNBC people, cause I also didn't know who Supreme was. In fact didn't recognize a lot of the street wear companies, except for Stussy  -only because just last week, while visiting New York, my brother wanted me to pick up something for him from their store. That shit is expensive for no reason. But my brother has fallen for they hype.

The funny thing about it, is that once it was pointed out on the show I started seeing the Supreme logo a lot of places including an Apple ad and an episode of the Netflix show Dogs where a sticker is on a dog stroller in Japan! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I don't have Netflix so I only get to watch what gets put up on YouTube. I loved the segment about China. I wish he had mentioned how China's one child policy screwed them because most families chose to have a boy, meaning that there is a huge gender difference for college-age people. This makes sexual assault even more of a pressing concern because women are seen as scarce commodities. This is also why the government are pressing women to get married and have large families. Conversely, I think that's why the #metoo movement is gaining traction there. The Chinese government can't afford to have these women choosing to opt out from society. 

There were great jokes throughout the segment, especially the opening section that talked about Saudi Arabia.

Overall, it's continuing it's strong debut. Can't wait to see what's next.

Edited by marina to
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Actually got to watch this on Netflix this week and introduce my dad to the show. He's a former Fox News watcher (thank god we got him weened off!) so I wasn't sure how he'd take it but he's diabetic and my mom was on insulin for decades (until she got so sick she stopped eating for a while and dropped a bunch of weight, which allowed her body sugars to stabilize enough to get off and just use pills to control her diabetes) so this topic hit close to home. Thank God we live in Canada. It's ridiculous what is going on and I'm glad he highlighted it.

Edited by marina to
  • Love 4

Man, who knew that rap would have such a powerful international impact? If you had told me that the first time I heard the Beastie Boys telling me I had to fight for my right to paaaaaaaaarty, I probably wouldn’t have believed you. In all seriousness, rap has its roots in pointing out social injustice so it seems fitting that it’s still being used for that. It’s just mind boggling that governments are using it for propaganda. 

• Love 2

Loved the intro with all the Aunties & Uncles talking doom and gloom if Hasan dared to talk about the Indian election. Also, cracked up about how he was a secret agent of various countries.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Is there supposed to be a new show this week or not? It’s usually up by now.

I don’t think so. On the intro for the Dave Chang podcast he mentioned in passing that last week’s episode was the “season” finale.

(edited)

I know of the Brazilian president, but he says things out of Jonah Ryan on twitter. 

I think Hasan was a little disingenuous at the start of the interview. There are a lot of protected land/national parks in the United States. The administration is trying to hack away at that and I hope they don't, but it's not accurate to say we've exploited all our lands. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

"Asians don't swamp. We infiltrate. There's a difference."

😄

Hasan: To me you're like PT Barnum meets Vince McMahon with a dash of Billy McFarland from the Fyre Festival.
Lalit Modi: Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. That's a real compliment. I like it. There aren't many people who can play all these three roles together.
Hasan: You mean shady, shady, and more shady?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, possibilities said:

I almost didn't watch the Cricket episode, because I couldn't imagine I'd find any way to care, but actually that was really interesting!!

Same here - the very little I know about cricket I learned while watching The Crying Game, so I almost skipped this episode but I'm glad I didn't.

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

The world cup is happening now. Apparently England won by 104. 

It was just their first match against a weak South African team. My friend who is SA forced me to watch because we get it on our cable package and he doesn’t so I had to listen to the complaining!

• LOL 1
(edited)

Was I the only one who misread the title of the episode so was surprised the second part wasn’t about IMDB?

etb: I posted this before Hasam made his joke!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1

How exactly did the show (allegedly) help to elect Modi? Just by talking about the election? I understand that there is often resentment for coverage that doesn't align with what people want to hear, but I didn't understand how that particular leap was made in this case.