Type keyword(s) to search

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

I'm confused. 

Hide contents

Whose dad is cheating, Gen's?

Yes, but I think that information doesn’t come out until the third book. 

Spoiler

That’s the big secret that Peter refuses to tell Lara Jean and why he keeps saying that Gen needs him. Lara Jean finds out when she follows Gen. She ends up in the parking lot of Gen’s father’s office and Lara Jean sees Gen’s dad leave the building with his girlfriend.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes, but I think that information doesn’t come out until the third book. 

It’s definitely in the second book as is what you describe. 

Spoiler

It’s what leads to them breaking up.

Gen doesn’t appear in the third book and is only mentioned a few times in passing.

In the book I think Gen has more of a case for having some resentment to Lara Jean because the kiss doesn’t actually happen during the spin the bottle game even though she should have gotten over it but a similar confrontation to the bathroom scene does happen in the second book.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

In the book I think Gen has more of a case for having some resentment to Lara Jean because the kiss doesn’t actually happen during the spin the bottle game even though she should have gotten over it but a similar confrontation to the bathroom scene does happen in the second book.

I agree with that. Changing the spin the bottle kiss made Gen's resentment less understandable in the movie. In the book Lara Jean and Peter kissed after a party. In the book the spin the bottle kiss was with John Ambrose, the Model UN guy.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, paulvdb said:

after a party. In the book the spin the bottle kiss was with John Ambrose, the Model UN guy

It one of the multiple reasons that I don’t think they realized that it was probably  going to be more than a  one off even with the post credit scene because when Lara Jean and Gen were bff so were Peter and John Ambrose so her saying casually some guy from Model UN doesn’t help set up the second book or even the third. 

Spoiler

John Ambrose is so much more involved in the second book and even the third than Gen because it’s told from Lara Jean’s perspective. But him not being a random dude but Peter’s former BFF who has a history with both is important for that jealously. 

John Ambrose is also described as looking like a young Robert Redford in the second book and the dude at the end does not look that!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

Finally watched the movie. The book had been coming in my recommendations on Goodreads for years. Finally read it after watching the movie and I much prefer the movie.  It was just a cute cheesy rom com. Even though it was for teens and I've been growing bored by YA now I enjoyed it more than I have adult rom coms recently. 

My nitpick is none of the sisters looked like they were actually related. I also wish Lana Condor would get more press for this movie. She really held her own as a lead and Lara Jean was very root-able.  But she's not an attractive white male so...

Noah did bring life to Peter and movie Peter was much more interesting than book Peter. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, In2You said:

I also wanted to point out that they kept the dialogue very close to the first book give or take a few scenes changed.

Often when changes are made from the book to the screen, I don't always understand why the changes were made but in this case, I thought that the changes made sense and improved the storyline/characters.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Often when changes are made from the book to the screen, I don't always understand why the changes were made but in this case, I thought that the changes made sense and improved the storyline/characters.

I would've skipped the movie if I read the book first because the book was lackluster in comparison.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, In2You said:

I would've skipped the movie if I read the book first because the book was lackluster in comparison.

Completely agree. And I could not believe there were some who were truly arguing that the movie wasn't as good as the book and that the movie felt rushed with the romance and took away so many important parts of Lara Jean and Peter's relationship. I saw these comments before I read the book and after reading it, I was so confused as to what the hell these people were talking about. What important parts exactly was in the book that was removed from the movie?

I spent the book stupidly waiting for all the deep conversations between  Lara Jean and Peter about her mom and his dad and it never came. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure all those conversations Peter and Lara Jean had in the movie about that was not in the book at all, at least not the first book. It was crazy to me to see someone say the movie was rushed with the romance when I ended the first book completely scratching my head trying to understand when and why Lara Jean decided her feelings for Peter was real. Especially since he was such a complete ass in my opinion. I felt none of the charm and warmth of movie Peter in book Peter. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

ended the first book completely scratching my head trying to understand when and why Lara Jean decided her feelings for Peter was real.

I agree. Also, I found Lara Jean to kind of be an asshole to Peter in the book. Most people including the author said that the Peter from the book was a lot different and not as likeable but I actually thought it was Lara Jean who was much more inlikeable in the book, same with Kitty. 

I really didn’t like the books and I have no idea how they are going to turn the other two books into movies if that’s the plan because their plots are not even wafer thin.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Completely agree. And I could not believe there were some who were truly arguing that the movie wasn't as good as the book and that the movie felt rushed with the romance and took away so many important parts of Lara Jean and Peter's relationship. I saw these comments before I read the book and after reading it, I was so confused as to what the hell these people were talking about. What important parts exactly was in the book that was removed from the movie?

I spent the book stupidly waiting for all the deep conversations between  Lara Jean and Peter about her mom and his dad and it never came. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure all those conversations Peter and Lara Jean had in the movie about that was not in the book at all, at least not the first book. It was crazy to me to see someone say the movie was rushed with the romance when I ended the first book completely scratching my head trying to understand when and why Lara Jean decided her feelings for Peter was real. Especially since he was such a complete ass in my opinion. I felt none of the charm and warmth of movie Peter in book Peter. 

I recall brief discussion of Peter's dad but the conversation was not deep like in the movie. Also the date people hyped as oh so romantic wasnt at all nor even memorable. Peter was an ass in the book and the epitome of dumb jock. 

• Love 2
Just now, In2You said:

I recall brief discussion of Peter's dad but the conversation was not deep like in the movie. Also the date people hyped as oh so romantic wasnt at all nor even memorable. Peter was an ass in the book and the epitome of dumb jock. 

Seriously this so much. And oh yes, the trip to the house for antiques. I saw so many comments so upset about that not being in the film and when I read it in the book, I was left going, "um, did I miss something? Lara Jean meets the owner of the house who is this cranky old man who hates his family and gets some reindeer antique or something and she and Peter share a few words. Okay, sure, whatever..." 

My biggest struggle over Lara Jean deciding she liked Peter by the end of the book was the fact that throughout the book it's made clear that Peter repeatedly hung out with and spent time at Gen's house. Yet every time Lara Jean blinked in Josh's direction, he had an attitude about it. The whole thing made no sense. 

Seriously, the people behind the film was the best thing to ever happen to that book series because sorry, not sorry, I only read one and that was enough for me to dismiss the whole thing as trash. And I'm baffled as to the popularity of the books. Then again, Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were best sellers. 

Also, they struck gold with Lana and Noah in those roles.

• Love 10

One of the first movies being discussed for the Paramount-Netflix deal will be a sequel to To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

The article doesn't have any additional details, but at least we still know it's being considered!

On 11/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, biakbiak said:

I really didn’t like the books and I have no idea how they are going to turn the other two books into movies if that’s the plan because their plots are not even wafer thin.

I found the plot of the third book to be almost non-existent so I'm hoping that the sequel combines the second and third books. I don't think they should try to milk this and try to get a third movie out of it.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Seriously this so much. And oh yes, the trip to the house for antiques. I saw so many comments so upset about that not being in the film and when I read it in the book, I was left going, "um, did I miss something? Lara Jean meets the owner of the house who is this cranky old man who hates his family and gets some reindeer antique or something and she and Peter share a few words. Okay, sure, whatever..." 

My biggest struggle over Lara Jean deciding she liked Peter by the end of the book was the fact that throughout the book it's made clear that Peter repeatedly hung out with and spent time at Gen's house. Yet every time Lara Jean blinked in Josh's direction, he had an attitude about it. The whole thing made no sense. 

Seriously, the people behind the film was the best thing to ever happen to that book series because sorry, not sorry, I only read one and that was enough for me to dismiss the whole thing as trash. And I'm baffled as to the popularity of the books. Then again, Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey were best sellers. 

Also, they struck gold with Lana and Noah in those roles.

I'm confused when people say the books were better and Peter was more well rounded in the books. Where? Because it felt like he never took anything seriously in book 1. And at times felt like a complete douche. But he has great hair so we should love him. It also felt like he was hung up on Gen the whole time until he decided he like Lara Jean. And Lara Jean cried over everything. 

Im going to try and read book 2 and see if there's any more developments though it sounds like another boring pointless like triangle where the other guy is pretty much irrelevant.

• Love 6

‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before 2’ Confirmed As First Paramount-Netflix Title Under New Co-Venture

The sequel had been reported to be in the works earlier this fall, though Jenny Han, who wrote the bestselling To All the Boys books, said as recently as two weeks ago that there was no definitive green light.

AwesomenessTV, acquired by Viacom earlier this year, produced the original and will do likewise for the sequel, which Bakish said “might have a sexier title over time.” The CEO made the remarks during the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in New York.

Bakish said Netflix research shows the original film “is one of the most-viewed films of all time on the platform.” Its success with a cast filled with Asian actors mirrored that of Crazy Rich Asians on the big screen. Lana Condor, one of the film’s stars, and creator Han have both recently indicated strong interest in doing a sequel.

• Love 5

Its success with a cast filled with Asian actors mirrored that of Crazy Rich Asians on the big screen.

Crazy Rich Asians = all Asian cast of 20+ characters

To All the Boys I've Loved Before = 1 Asian main character + 2 secondary Asian characters for a grand total of 3 Asians, but somehow that's "a cast filled with Asians"

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Crazy Rich Asians = all Asian cast of 20+ characters

To All the Boys I've Loved Before = 1 Asian main character + 2 secondary Asian characters for a grand total of 3 Asians, but somehow that's "a cast filled with Asians"

Actually 1 Asian and two Hapas though all 3 characters were hapa. 

Yup, saw the news on Instagram. Will be interesting to see what the screenwriters pull together as everyone who's read the other two books say they're even more shit than the first one. Still they made the movie so much better than the book so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and having faith that they'll deliver again.

• Love 3

I'm one of the people that like the book better for a specific part.

I don't really care about the Peter and Lara stuff , as much as the family stuff; the Korean side of her family mostly. I know things have to be streamlined but I liked the parts when Lara Jean thinks about her mother and her mothers side of the family, and their traditions. 

To me that part was missing alittle from the movie, otherwise I agree, movie Peter is much better than book Peter.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, dkb said:

I know things have to be streamlined but I liked the parts when Lara Jean thinks about her mother and her mothers side of the family, and their traditions. 

That’s interesting because I had heard that comment before and so I was surprised when I read the book that there wasn’t more of her mother’s family, there are only a handful of mentions in the first book and scattered small appearances in the other two.

@biakbiak maybe I'm making more of it then it was. I read a far amount of romance and ya novels for my job, and I just really liked the fact it was a mixed race family, with the kids and dad trying to keep up with the Korean traditions as much as possible. I think it was Lara Jean's grandmother?? that had a really nice conversation with Lara Jean about her dad.

I just think for me, I would have loved to see Lara Jean's Korean family in the show as well. 

Hopefully, in the sequel we'll get that.

Edited by dkb
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That’s interesting because I had heard that comment before and so I was surprised when I read the book that there wasn’t more of her mother’s family, there are only a handful of mentions in the first book and scattered small appearances in the other two.

This. Admittedly I didn't read the second and third book so maybe that's explored more there but what I remember of the first book is that we got a few mentions of the maternal grandmother and a few specific Korean dishes/traditions she'd taught the girls but nothing that was that much of focus. 

Like I said above, that's why I was particularly disappointed in the book. Because having watched the movie where I felt they did a really good job focusing on Lara Jean's continuing feelings over her mother's death and her connecting with Peter on that level somewhat because of his dad leaving, I was sure the book which had the space to develop things more, went even deeper with it. And instead there was nothing than some passing mentions by Lara Jean about her mom.

And as I said, I also thought the books did a terrible job with the girls' relationship. Sure they kept telling us about the Song girls and their closeness but what we got instead was a bratty, spiteful Kitty and uptight Margo who meanly sold Lara Jean out when she thought she had feelings for Josh. The movie sold me on the girls closeness way more than the books did and it was nice to see a movie with female characters who were there for each other and not at each other's throats all the time.

• Love 6
On 12/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, dkb said:

@biakbiak maybe I'm making more of it then it was. I read a far amount of romance and ya novels for my job, and I just really liked the fact it was a mixed race family, with the kids and dad trying to keep up with the Korean traditions as much as possible. I think it was Lara Jean's grandmother?? that had a really nice conversation with Lara Jean about her dad.

I just think for me, I would have loved to see Lara Jean's Korean family in the show as well. 

Hopefully, in the sequel we'll get that.

I recently skimmed the last two books and I dont recall a whole lot of their family. There's alot more YA books with Asian leads(and completely Asian not half white) being released within the next year that I'm very excited about. I have a copy of a new one from Melissa De La Cruz to read that was is being compared to this movie and Disney bought the rights

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2018/12/29-dates-book-melissa-de-la-cruz-movie-disney-streaming-the-gotham-group-1202520374/amp/

Edited by In2You
  • Love 5

Can someone tell Lana's team that they don't need to push this special connection with Noah angle? It's 2019! People understand actor's don't need to date in real life to have onscreen chemistry.  I know they wants the young teens who care about showmances to watch but trust they'll watch regardless. It's outdated thinking and an outdated method of promotion.  Real Lana fans know she has a longterm boyfriend. No need to make up fake stories for promo.

• Love 5
On 3/30/2019 at 1:05 AM, methodwriter85 said:
  Hide contents

Cue racist reactions from people who are upset that John is now black.

Jordan is mixed race and claims multi ethnic heritage. 

(edited)

I love Jordan Fisher but I feel bad for the guy that was John at the end of the movie. I’m sure he figured he would continue the role in the second movie, unless they chem tested him with Lana and didn’t see any chemistry. 

Fun fact- Noah and Jordan are only two years apart (22 and 24).

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
Just now, twoods said:

I love Jordan Fisher but I feel bad for the guy that was John at the end of the movie. I’m sure he figured he would continue the role in the second movie, unless they chem tested him with Lana and didn’t see any chemistry. 

He did he still had it in his twitter bio when it was announced of course he probably should have figured it out based on the fact that he found it out via the video that he wasn’t in.

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He did he still had it in his twitter bio when it was announced of course he probably should have figured it out based on the fact that he found it out via the video that he wasn’t in.

lmao...I feel evil for laughing but yeah, should have been a clue.

6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He’s only two years older than Noah.

Yup and only three years older than Lana and the same age as the actor who played Josh. I mean isn't being in your early 20's and still playing a teenager kind of a television norm? Also I think Jordan looks young enough to definitely pass as a teenager.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/1/2019 at 7:06 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I don't care what some kids on Twitter are saying. Jordan Fisher is not black.  He identifies himself as a mixed man and corrects people when they call him black. He was raised by his white grandparents.

"I love Black History Month and celebrating my ancestral roots, but not just my blackness, which is so beautiful," he told ABC News. "But my Tahitian and my Italian -- everything that makes me, me. That's such a beautiful thing that's rarely touched on."

Edited by In2You
  • Love 2

I think the Jordan casting is genius. They needed to cast someone who can match Noah in charm and Jordan is insanely charismatic. Was really disheartened to see so much casual racism displayed with regards to his casting from the fans, I get that John Ambrose was white in the books and I feel a little bad for the dude at the end of the last movie who showed up for 5 seconds (although fans going "he was the PERFECT choice" as if he had more than 5 seconds of screen time sure is something), but people acting like this is some kind of a big betrayal of the source material should calm down especially when the author themselves approves of the casting. Also, John Ambrose in the books was sweet but he was very vanilla, bland kind of sweet and it'll be interesting to see the kind of energy Jordan brings to the role.  

• Love 6
On 4/1/2019 at 5:08 AM, In2You said:

Jordan is mixed race and claims multi ethnic heritage. 

Being black and multi racial are not mutually exclusive things. Most black people born on North American soil are multi-ethnic to some degree. 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:36 AM, In2You said:

I don't care what some kids on Twitter are saying. Jordan Fisher is not black.  He identifies himself as a mixed man and corrects people when they call him black. He was raised by his white grandparents.

"I love Black History Month and celebrating my ancestral roots, but not just my blackness, which is so beautiful," he told ABC News. "But my Tahitian and my Italian -- everything that makes me, me. That's such a beautiful thing that's rarely touched on."

That quote doesn’t sound as if he’s denying his blackness at all. Acknowledging and embracing and being proud of his other ethnic roots doesn’t make him “not black”. Who raised you has nothing to do with your ethnic background, the people that loved and raised you are the people that loved and raised you. Being raised by your white grandparents (or having white biological grandparents) doesn’t make ANYONE with black ancestry no longer black. I don’t quite follow that assumption.

I think he will be awesome in the part for the record. 

• Love 5
On 4/15/2019 at 2:18 PM, haje said:

I think the Jordan casting is genius. They needed to cast someone who can match Noah in charm and Jordan is insanely charismatic. Was really disheartened to see so much casual racism displayed with regards to his casting from the fans, I get that John Ambrose was white in the books and I feel a little bad for the dude at the end of the last movie who showed up for 5 seconds (although fans going "he was the PERFECT choice" as if he had more than 5 seconds of screen time sure is something), but people acting like this is some kind of a big betrayal of the source material should calm down especially when the author themselves approves of the casting. Also, John Ambrose in the books was sweet but he was very vanilla, bland kind of sweet and it'll be interesting to see the kind of energy Jordan brings to the role.  

Yes he’s a talent. Real theatre chops. Yes he’s 24 but has a youthful boyish charm- I have no problem seeing him play a teenager. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Being black and multi racial are not mutually exclusive things. Most black people born on North American soil are multi-ethnic to some degree. 

That quote doesn’t sound as if he’s denying his blackness at all. Acknowledging and embracing and being proud of his other ethnic roots doesn’t make him “not black”. Who raised you has nothing to do with your ethnic background, the people that loved and raised you are the people that loved and raised you. Being raised by your white grandparents (or having white biological grandparents) doesn’t make ANYONE with black ancestry no longer black. I don’t quite follow that assumption.

I think he will be awesome in the part for the record. 

He has black ancestry the same way he has Asian ancestry but you would never label him Asian.The same way he has white ancestry but you would never call him white.  He's not the same as someone with two black parents. And in an interview for Black History Month he went on to talk about his mixedness. And don't come to me with that all African American's are mixed bs. 10 % due to slave rape does not equate to more than 50% other by choice.

From the same article

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/shoulders-dancing-stars-champion-jordan-fisher-talks-mixed-53373330

When some fans look at "Dancing with the Stars" champion Jordan Fisher, they see a black man. But he's quick to clarify, "I'm mixed and I'm proud of that."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, In2You said:

DtHe has black ancestry the same way he has Asian ancestry but you would never label him Asian.The same way he has white ancestry but you would never call him white.  He's not the same as someone with two black parents. And in an interview for Black History Month he went on to talk about his mixedness. And don't come to me with that all African American's are mixed bs. 10 % due to slave rape does not equate to more than 50% other by choice.

From the same article

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/story/shoulders-dancing-stars-champion-jordan-fisher-talks-mixed-53373330

When some fans look at "Dancing with the Stars" champion Jordan Fisher, they see a black man. But he's quick to clarify, "I'm mixed and I'm proud of that."

Being conceived via rape versus consensual sex has nothing to do with someone’s heritage. Children of all ethnic groups are conceived via rape and abuse every day-that’s not bullshit but a sad truth.  For the record I wasn’t referring to “slave rape” in my original post, I was referring to our cultural constructions of race and the one drop rule which is still a part of our cultural story in North America many years after slavery (obviously). I was never insinuating being of mixed heritage meant that you were more likely to be conceived via rape or sexual assault .

Jordan is Asian, and he’s black- he has white heritage but no one would never label him as white due on the language we use around race in 2019. A couple of hundred years from now perhaps, not today. His pride in his mixed heritage (which is great) doesn’t negate his blackness and from the article you linked he seems like a very self aware young man. I think Jordan is quick to point out his mixed heritage because 1. He’s proud of it (and rightly so) 2. He’s automatically identified as a black person on sight, so that’s the “default and exclusive” narrative that society gives him so he has to remind others of the other parts of his ancestry. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Also if we are parsing his ethnicity/race I am assuming the Asian assertion comes from the fact he says he is part Tahitian which is a multiethnic place so doesn’t mean he is Asian.

He claims Cambodian which is Asian.

I'm not saying he cant be proud of his mixed heritage. I'm saying he is not a black man. He doesnt identify as a black man and his experience is not comparable to people who are unambiguously black. 

He has black ancestry the same way he has Asian ancestry but you would never label him Asian.The same way he has white ancestry but you would never call him white.  He's not the same as someone with two black parents. And in an interview for Black History Month he went on to talk about his mixedness. And don't come to me with that all African American's are mixed bs. 10 % due to slave rape does not equate to more than 50% other by choice.

I'm not saying he cant be proud of his mixed heritage. I'm saying he is not a black man. He doesnt identify as a black man and his experience is not comparable to people who are unambiguously black. 

I’m just going to say you’re really off base here, and leave it at that. 

Ok, I lied. I'm going to add something else.  The people who are upset with him being cast as John Ambrose are not upset because he is Asian or white. They literally said they're upset because he's black.  Maybe you should let that sink in for a bit.  Also, I know I would have no problem call him Asian, but him being Asian, does not exclude him also being black. Also, you're whole thing about 10% white by rape, versus 50% by choice ... WHOA! Not even going to touch that seriously problematic and racist argument.

Edited by piccadilly83
Added a quote and some other stuff.
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, piccadilly83 said:

I’m just going to say you’re really off base here, and leave it at that. 

Ok, I lied. I'm going to add something else.  The people who are upset with him being cast as John Ambrose are not upset because he is Asian or white. They literally said they're upset because he's black.  Maybe you should let that sink in for a bit.  Also, I know I would have no problem call him Asian, but him being Asian, does not exclude him also being black. Also, you're whole thing about 10% white by rape, versus 50% by choice ... WHOA! Not even going to touch that seriously problematic and racist argument.

I don't care if you think I'm off base or not. Jordan is not a black man. He doesn't identify as a black man. His experience is not that of an unambiguously black person. And clearly you aren't black since you're comparing apples to oranges and attempting to diminish my valid points by deeming them racist.