Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

Doug Benson has said that this show was really helpful in raising his profile. But he was at the perfect point in his career for it, because he'd been on the road forever and had lots of material and a well-defined image to showcase on television.

I enjoy the stand up but wonder if there are any tangible benefits.

Amy Schumer would probably say "yes." And Alonzo Bodden, Joe Machi, Iliza Schlesinger and several other hard-working road comics have been able to build solid careers as headliners after their experience on "LCS." I think it has had a huge effect. Like with "American Idol," not everyone is going to go on to fame and glory, but the exposure has been a definite boost for many comics.

Some of my favorite comedians were on LCS, and I'd never heard of them before they appeared on the show: Amy, Alonzo, Ralphie May, Gary Gulman, Rich Vos, Kathleen Madigan (although her career hasn't been as big as others'), Todd Glass, and Tommy Johnagin.

• Love 1

What ever happened to Rod Man's TV deal? Did I miss that somehow?

I went on his web site and he's touring but I didn't see anything about the TV deal.  I hope it goes through.

Does this show use laugh tracks?  Depending on the joke, whenever the camera pans to the audience, the loud, somewhat boisterous laughing doesn't seem to match the audience's faces.  I see smiles or grins, but nothing that looks like they'd be laughing that much.  Sometimes the joke isn't even that good.

Doug Benson has said that this show was really helpful in raising his profile. But he was at the perfect point in his career for it, because he'd been on the road forever and had lots of material and a well-defined image to showcase on television.

Based on his stand up material, pot, literally and figuratively, had more to do with his career than anything.

I do like his stand up, he is funny, but he could use some non-pot related material.

A bunch of comics I listen to on Sirius/XM have been on LCS. I am going to see Joe Machi and Lachlan Patterson live later this month as well.

• Love 1

Does this show use laugh tracks?  Depending on the joke, whenever the camera pans to the audience, the loud, somewhat boisterous laughing doesn't seem to match the audience's faces.  I see smiles or grins, but nothing that looks like they'd be laughing that much.  Sometimes the joke isn't even that good.

I don't know if they use canned laughter, but I'm 100% sure they mix and match audience reactions to different jokes. That's fairly standard practice, but for LCS in particular past seasons have gotten complaints from some performers who thought the reactions shown had misrepresented how their sets went.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

I don't see a place to comment on Anthony Jeselnik, so I'm putting it here. I've never liked him because he's a misogynistic dudebro comedian like Daniel Tosh. I feel like I'm alone in my dislike of him.

JB Smoove with his yelling all the time really bugged me, but at least I knew he didn't tell rape "jokes" in his acts off the show, and he was funny of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Why can't Wanda Sykes or any other woman host--say a past runner-up??

• Love 1

JB Smoove with his yelling all the time really bugged me, but at least I knew he didn't tell rape "jokes" in his acts off the show, and he was funny of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

He was really funny on the show 'Til Death.

• Love 1

I know nothing about Anthony Jeselnik, but I think he's fine as a host.

His pre-written dialogue is often trite, but he's very quick witted and plays well off the judges and the comedians. 

No there hasn't been a woman host. Anthony J is the first host they've ever had who has made me laugh a lot on the show. Partially because he distances himself from the material when it's not good with his sarcastic delivery. Jay Moher was not good. Anthony Clarke was much worse. Bill Bellamy was okay. Craig Robinson was too goofy, and I couldn't understand what JB was saying half the time because he swallows his words.

Edited by Cramps

I don't see a place to comment on Anthony Jeselnik, so I'm putting it here. I've never liked him because he's a misogynistic dudebro comedian like Daniel Tosh. I feel like I'm alone in my dislike of him.

Why can't Wanda Sykes or any other woman host--say a past runner-up??

I like Anthony and his comedy but I can see why some people would not.  He is similar to Daniel Tosh.  I just take their jokes as being so over the top that its obvious they are not serious.  I view them different than say a Dane Cook, who has more of a never grown up frat boy act

His hosting duties though have been pretty different from his stand up act, pretty tame.  Though I do admit I fast forward through some of it and just watch the comedians. 

I think Anthony is less fratty than Tosh, and he goes darker as well.

On topic: LCS9 . . . one of the worst seasons in the show's history,or the worst? Aside from Clayton English winning, I don't think we'll get any real success stories. I don't think any of the hundred comedians that went up will catch fire like Gabriel Iglesias or Amy Schumer.

Bumping up because of memories flooding the Media thread.

I'm a bit surprised NBC hasn't brought the show back from the grave yet again. I think it's for the best if it stays buried.

On 9/11/2015 at 1:25 AM, Lantern7 said:

I think Anthony is less fratty than Tosh, and he goes darker as well.

On topic: LCS9 . . . one of the worst seasons in the show's history,or the worst? Aside from Clayton English winning, I don't think we'll get any real success stories. I don't think any of the hundred comedians that went up will catch fire like Gabriel Iglesias or Amy Schumer.

I'm not even sure if the comedians were the problem with S9, so much as the format of this season. It felt like we barely got to hear any of their material.

Honestly, the most memorable thing from that season was Anthonay Jeselnik hosting and Norm Macdonald judging.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm a big fan of British panel shows. QI, Would I Lie to You, 8 Out of 10 Cats, etc. These are all game shows where the game isn't the point - it's just an activity to give comics a chance to make jokes. A couple times people have attempted to recreate those shows in the US, but what they say is "American networks don't understand having a game without a prize."  This was evidenced when the Great British Bake Off became the American Baking Competition and the focus shifted from amateur bakers showing off their skills to "Who will win the $250,000 grand prize!?" (And flopped.)

My point in all this is that Last Comic Standing shouldn't be about winning.  It's rising comedians doing their best material. That should be entertaining. The early seasons had funny people living in a house. That should be fun. If they can't make television out of that it must be the approach, and I think the problem was too much focus on one single winner.  The one-by-one elimination invited strategy about who performs and who doesn't, stretched comics well past the amount of material they could support, and divided audiences by making them choose between equally funny people with very different styles.

I would like to see the show as an ongoing thing, half-hour at most. Treat it like the old Star Search show - or for a different analogy, Jeopardy. 2-3 comics perform, the audience votes, and the winner returns next week to take on more challengers. Include a small prize, but know that the real appeal is for these performers to appear on a network. There isn't just one winner, and the best comics may last 3, 4, 5 weeks or more. 

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I would like to see the show as an ongoing thing, half-hour at most. Treat it like the old Star Search show - or for a different analogy, Jeopardy. 2-3 comics perform, the audience votes, and the winner returns next week to take on more challengers. Include a small prize, but know that the real appeal is for these performers to appear on a network. There isn't just one winner, and the best comics may last 3, 4, 5 weeks or more. 

Except for the returning champion, you're pretty much describing @midnight.

• Love 1