Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Season 44: And Now It's Over!

• Start Topic

On 4/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, lou ann b said:

Did he say Kenan "tapes" SNL? Um,except for the filmed bits,it's live. I'll say it again,love Kenan,and I could see Lorne passing the torch to him one day.

They meant "performed" SNL. It was saying he went home to do SNL and hopped back on a flight. Tapes wasn't used literally. 

I guess this is the place for season-wide comments. 

S44 = Average. 

I've always loved Kate, but has she been the same after the 2016 election?  I'm left with the firm impression some of the spark is gone.  I'm sure she, like many of us, figured she'd be doing her HRC for the next four years.

17 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Cecily says she wants to come back.

Yes, it has been reported previously that she has a deal for next season, so I'm not sure where all the speculation about her came from over last weekend.

On 5/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, JZL said:

I've always loved Kate, but has she been the same after the 2016 election?  I'm left with the firm impression some of the spark is gone.  I'm sure she, like many of us, figured she'd be doing her HRC for the next four years.

I still think the thing that changed the most for Kate is that the writers who wrote her best material, Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, left the building.  It's glaringly obvious that Lorne should had given them whatever they wanted to continue on as the Head Writers.

• Love 2
(edited)

Rolling Stone ranks the top 10 sketches of the season.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/10-best-saturday-night-live-sketches-season-44-837514/

Some of this I don't agree with (sketch choices, and also the complaint about meta monologues when I felt like the season worked hard to get away from those), some just confuses me (talking about new player investments paying off when other than Mikey and Melissa [who are in their third season], every other new player either got less airtime and focus [including 'most improved Heidi Gardner,' who seemed to be a much stronger presence last season], or fell off the map entirely [Chris Redd]), and of course some I do agree with. 

(I have to admit I don't really get the hype for that Adam Driver sketch - it's fine, but I can see yelling and yelling = funny funny laugh now laugh now easily enough by watching a Chris Farley or Will Ferrell routine)

These were the main parts that got my interest:

It was an odd year out, with the usual dominating forces (God bless you, Kate McKinnon) 

If you ever needed to make a case for how invaluable Her Kateness is to saving this show’s bacon circa 2019, this is exhibit A.

I'm always surprised when I see professional writers, people who may have a long history with SNL, give this particular credit - and burden - to one cast member. I don't believe one person can ever save a show. Even Eddie Murphy, who is probably the closest we'll ever get to fitting that bill, had a lot of great cast members who did what they could (and deserved more than they got). I thought Cecily Strong had a fantastic season, and Leslie Jones had a great season, but I wouldn't say they saved the show either. This cast has so many strong players, even if they often don't get the chance to show it. 

The media push about McKinnon being above all the rest is probably one of the reasons the show doesn't seem to know what to do with her in the last few years. She was given too many political impressions (most of which I don't think she ever handled, not helped by lazy, lazy writing). She also has her recurring characters, like the alien abduction lady or Last Call, which mostly just end up being about her and further isolate her work from the rest of the cast. There are funny sketches showcasing Kate and other people (like her double act with Aidy Bryant, or silly bits like the "kiss" sketch in the Sandra Oh episode), but I notice those don't get as many writeups, because they don't fit the narrative of A Kate McKinnon Production, the narrative that she is carrying the show, and without her, it will be terribadawful. 

I imagine they played this type of story with Kristen Wiig as well, as they have with many others over the years. I feel like this boxing in ended up hurting Kristen's career in the long run, and I wonder if the same will happen to Kate. I hope not. 

(my guess is Heidi Gardner will be next to fall into this role once Kate leaves) 

Here is another top 10 sketch list.

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/funniest-sketches-snl-season-44-232426

1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

NPR rates the musical guests this season.  From #1 to Greta Van Fleet - ha! 

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/20/724884348/snl-musical-guests-ranked-from-no-1-to-greta-van-fleet

I actually 'lol' when they went from chiding the show to not having enough female musical guests to ranking the wonderful Sara Bareilles far below some lousy male acts.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

Yes, it has been reported previously that she has a deal for next season, so I'm not sure where all the speculation about her came from over last weekend.

I still think the thing that changed the most for Kate is that the writers who wrote her best material, Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, left the building.  It's glaringly obvious that Lorne should had given them whatever they wanted to continue on as the Head Writers.

I had never read the part of the 'who's returning/leaving' articles that mentioned her deal when I was speculating about whether she was going. 

From what Kelly and Schneider said in an interview, they were sick of writing about politics. Between that, and their deal at Comedy Central (if that was in the works when they left), I'm not sure if anything could have kept them. 

I'm never even sure how to accurately gauge their time as headwriters as they were there at such a strange period for the show (and comedy in general). They seem very intelligent and nice from their interviews though. 

3 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I'm never even sure how to accurately gauge their time as headwriters as they were there at such a strange period for the show (and comedy in general).

The writing for that season was pretty fantastic, especially the political sketches. There has been a noticeable dropoff in quality since they left.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

The writing for that season was pretty fantastic, especially the political sketches. There has been a noticeable dropoff in quality since they left.

I didn't care for most of the political material, but then I have disliked most political material on SNL since about 1993, give or take a few sketches. I also feel like that era started the whole "put a woman in drag to make Trump mad," routine which always seemed unintentionally sexist to me. 

The Dave Chappelle, Tom Hanks, and Chris Pine episodes did seem pretty decent, from what I have watched. The others were more of a mixed bag but I guess that's about the norm for modern SNL. 

Generally I think with Che and Jost at the helm the writing starts getting sloppy (not sure if the other guys with them are any better).

(edited)
1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

I didn't care for most of the political material, but then I have disliked most political material on SNL since about 1993, give or take a few sketches. I also feel like that era started the whole "put a woman in drag to make Trump mad," routine which always seemed unintentionally sexist to me. 

Responding in the Complaints thread, where it seems more on-topic. 

Edited by vb68
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Rolling Stone ranks the top 10 sketches of the season.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/10-best-saturday-night-live-sketches-season-44-837514/

Some of this I don't agree with (sketch choices, and also the complaint about meta monologues when I felt like the season worked hard to get away from those), some just confuses me (talking about new player investments paying off when other than Mikey and Melissa [who are in their third season], every other new player either got less airtime and focus [including 'most improved Heidi Gardner,' who seemed to be a much stronger presence last season], or fell off the map entirely [Chris Redd]), and of course some I do agree with. 

(I have to admit I don't really get the hype for that Adam Driver sketch - it's fine, but I can see yelling and yelling = funny funny laugh now laugh now easily enough by watching a Chris Farley or Will Ferrell routine)

These were the main parts that got my interest:

It was an odd year out, with the usual dominating forces (God bless you, Kate McKinnon) 

If you ever needed to make a case for how invaluable Her Kateness is to saving this show’s bacon circa 2019, this is exhibit A.

I'm always surprised when I see professional writers, people who may have a long history with SNL, give this particular credit - and burden - to one cast member. I don't believe one person can ever save a show. Even Eddie Murphy, who is probably the closest we'll ever get to fitting that bill, had a lot of great cast members who did what they could (and deserved more than they got). I thought Cecily Strong had a fantastic season, and Leslie Jones had a great season, but I wouldn't say they saved the show either. This cast has so many strong players, even if they often don't get the chance to show it. 

The media push about McKinnon being above all the rest is probably one of the reasons the show doesn't seem to know what to do with her in the last few years. She was given too many political impressions (most of which I don't think she ever handled, not helped by lazy, lazy writing). She also has her recurring characters, like the alien abduction lady or Last Call, which mostly just end up being about her and further isolate her work from the rest of the cast. There are funny sketches showcasing Kate and other people (like her double act with Aidy Bryant, or silly bits like the "kiss" sketch in the Sandra Oh episode), but I notice those don't get as many writeups, because they don't fit the narrative of A Kate McKinnon Production, the narrative that she is carrying the show, and without her, it will be terribadawful. 

I imagine they played this type of story with Kristen Wiig as well, as they have with many others over the years. I feel like this boxing in ended up hurting Kristen's career in the long run, and I wonder if the same will happen to Kate. I hope not. 

(my guess is Heidi Gardner will be next to fall into this role once Kate leaves) 

Here is another top 10 sketch list.

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/funniest-sketches-snl-season-44-232426

I actually 'lol' when they went from chiding the show to not having enough female musical guests to ranking the wonderful Sara Bareilles far below some lousy male acts.

The Vulture list is more correct in line with my sensibilities. I plan to ignore all lists that don't include Cha Cha Slide.

• Love 5
(edited)

I like a combination of both the Rolling Stone and Vulture lists. Both Bodega Bathroom and The Kavanaugh Hearings are a must for me. Interesting that the season started with a pitch perfect political parody. And I could just about put the whole Mulaney episode up there.  On the other hand, I find Career Day with Adam Driver really overrated. It was good, but certainly not best sketch of the season great. Honestly I would replace it with The Etiquette with Emma Thompson and Leslie Jones. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
(edited)

Boy everyone seems to absolutely love that Career Day sketch.  I'm happy that Charmin got a mention. 

I had never read the part of the 'who's returning/leaving' articles that mentioned her deal when I was speculating about whether she was going. 

I meant to clarify last night that I didn't mean to direct that at you. You were right to note the fan speculation on the internet.  That's what I referring to in general. I apologize for my sloppy way of wording that.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Since this is speculation, I'll put it here.  

I want to mark Megan Rapinoe as my first official firm "Maybe" host or at least guest in the new season.  I mean, sure the historic Soccer win will be old news by then and who even knows if she has any desire to host. On the other hand, they often like to get someone early in the season who had a big impact in the summer, and she is riding a wave very similar to Michael Phelps back when he hosted.  And honestly, why not? Even if she's not great, she is insanely cool, and I'm all for her extending her moment any way she chooses. She seems more together and savvier than a lot of athletes and other public figures, so she might well be good at it.

Just my two cents. 

• Love 10
On 7/11/2019 at 12:43 AM, vb68 said:

Since this is speculation, I'll put it here.  

I want to mark Megan Rapinoe as my first official firm "Maybe" host or at least guest in the new season.  I mean, sure the historic Soccer win will be old news by then and who even knows if she has any desire to host. On the other hand, they often like to get someone early in the season who had a big impact in the summer, and she is riding a wave very similar to Michael Phelps back when he hosted.  And honestly, why not? Even if she's not great, she is insanely cool, and I'm all for her extending her moment any way she chooses. She seems more together and savvier than a lot of athletes and other public figures, so she might well be good at it.

Just my two cents. 

"I'm not going to the fucking Rockefeller Plaza!"  🤯 

• LOL 4