October 06
October 13

November 03
November 10
November 17

December 01
December 08
December 15

--As for Host speculation, I would be surprised if Bradley Cooper or Lady Gaga didn't host to promote  A Star is Born. It comes out the first week in October.

Tiffany Haddish has a few movies coming out and is also a possible Premiere host

Tom Hardy has Venom. Not sure if he would want to host.

Any other obvious picks? I was trying to think of someone who broke out this summer like Gal Gadot last year but couldn't think of any. 

• Love 1

Just some host guesses based on 2018 fall movie previews:

• Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga for A Star is Born
  • Anna Kendrick or Blake Lively for A Simple Favor
  • Tiffany Haddish for the bajillion projects she's got going on right now. I think if she wins the Emmy she's a definite lock to host again this season.
  • Jamie Lee Curtis for the new Halloween. Please? Pretty please?
  • Tom Hardy for Venom
  • Bad Times at the El Royale has got a pretty stacked cast--it gives Jon Hamm an excuse to stop by again.
  • Claire Foy for The Girl in the Spiders Web
  • Viola Davis will probably not stop by to promote Widows but I'm going to pretend she might anyway.
  • Melissa McCarthy for Can You Ever Forgive Me?
  • Rami Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law or (blech) Johnny Depp for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
  • Michael B. Jordan for Creed II
  • John C. Reilly or Sarah Silverman for Ralph Breaks the Internet
  • Jason Momoa for Aquaman
  • Emily Blunt or Lin-Manuel Miranda for Mary Poppins Returns
  • Love 1

I would love to see Awkwafina host/musical guest, especially if Crazy Rich Asians does really well. Wouldn't mind Harry Golding or Constance Wu too (though Wu being in an ABC sitcom might be harder)

• Love 2

Another reason I'm fully expecting Bradley Cooper and/or Lady Gaga to come (maybe both as a Host/Musical Guest combo) is that Bradley got permission to film scenes for the movie on the SNL stage.   Pretty cool. And I was really excited to see the movie before I knew that. But yeah, they will be there to promote the movie.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, helenamonster said:

Emily Blunt or Lin-Manuel Miranda for Mary Poppins Returns

Wouldn't it be cool if they brought along Dick Van Dyke for a guest appearance? I would love that.

A few other names:

If Glenn Close gets traction in this year's Oscar race, she would be of those cool "hasn't hosted for 30 years or so comeback hosts" they like every so often like Sigourney or Jeff Bridges.

For athletes, LeBron couldn't be more timely. That would be awesome for a number of reasons. Not sure how likely that is, though.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3
On 8/14/2018 at 9:45 PM, helenamonster said:

Just some host guesses based on 2018 fall movie previews:

• Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga for A Star is Born
  • Anna Kendrick or Blake Lively for A Simple Favor
  • Tiffany Haddish for the bajillion projects she's got going on right now. I think if she wins the Emmy she's a definite lock to host again this season.
  • Jamie Lee Curtis for the new Halloween. Please? Pretty please?
  • Tom Hardy for Venom
  • Bad Times at the El Royale has got a pretty stacked cast--it gives Jon Hamm an excuse to stop by again.
  • Claire Foy for The Girl in the Spiders Web
  • Viola Davis will probably not stop by to promote Widows but I'm going to pretend she might anyway.
  • Melissa McCarthy for Can You Ever Forgive Me?
  • Rami Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law or (blech) Johnny Depp for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
  • Michael B. Jordan for Creed II
  • John C. Reilly or Sarah Silverman for Ralph Breaks the Internet
  • Jason Momoa for Aquaman
  • Emily Blunt or Lin-Manuel Miranda for Mary Poppins Returns

I think you pretty much hit everybody I was going to say, except I should mention that John C. Reilly is also starring with Will Ferrell in the comedy "Holmes and Watson" in December, so it would be great if he hosted in December and Ferrell made a cameo. 

Another possibility for December- John Cena for "Bumblebee" (or maybe Hailee Steinfeld? Her star in Hollywood is rising, despite being an Academy Award-nominated actress 8 years ago for "True Grit").

I also think it's possible Jonah Hill might host sometime this season. He is one hosting stint away from being a five-timer. He has the Netflix series "Maniac" (costarring Emma Stone) and his own directorial debut "Mid90s" coming out in October.

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

He has the Netflix series "Maniac" (costarring Emma Stone) and his own directorial debut "Mid90s" coming out in October.

I hope it's Emma instead of Jonah. I think she's a much better host.

• Love 1

The SNL fansite I used to frequent had a guest-the-hosts (and MG's) contest every year (hint-hint).  Peeps had to submit 30 guesses for each before the season premier.  It was one lonnnnnng thread by the end of the season. 

Host predictions from TV Line.

They are very confident that Gaga will host the premiere.  Very good guess. I still think Bradley Cooper will show up too.

Awkwafina also gets a mention. 

On 8/19/2018 at 3:26 PM, JZL said:

The SNL fansite I used to frequent had a guest-the-hosts (and MG's) contest every year (hint-hint).  Peeps had to submit 30 guesses for each before the season premier.  It was one lonnnnnng thread by the end of the season. 

I would be down for that except I wouldn't be able to name 30 musical picks.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
On 8/23/2018 at 4:46 PM, vb68 said:

I would be down for that except I wouldn't be able to name 30 musical picks.

I think the MG's stink lately and I don't know 3/4ths of them.  I love Jack White, but was underwhelmed by his performance last season.  FWIW, the White Stripes happened to be the MG for the old John McCain episode that SNL aired last night.

Anyway, you can dig around a lil to see who's hot and who's dropping albums and whatnot.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Anyone have the airdates for the episodes this season? I've noticed someone usually posts the schedule for the whole season around this time.

Dates for the Fall episodes. Season 44.

September 29
October 06
October 13

November 03
November 10
November 17

December 01
December 08
December 15

I'm still stunned/amazed that Gaga/Bradley Cooper were nowhere to be found in the first few episodes. Maybe once Oscar campaigning  gets into full gear?

For November, Rami Malek is as good a guess as any. Other than that, I'm really not sure. Michael B Jordan seems like a stretch to me, but it would be cool if he did it.

I'm going to hold firm on my prediction that if Glenn Close gets serious Oscar traction, she'll be one of those "hasn't hosted in 30 years" comebacks. I'm already hearing how she's campaigning her butt off.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I do find it a little funny that none of us predicted any of the first three hosts. It's nice to be surprised, I guess, but maybe I have to reevaluate my system.

I am really hoping that because they didn't show up for one of the first three episodes, we will see Bradley/Gaga in the Oscar campaign season. I don't know what Bradley's schedule looks like but Gaga will be starting her Vegas residency in late December. She's playing pretty regularly through January and then has a huge break between February 3 and May 30 where the rumor is she will be putting the final touches on/releasing her new album, hoping to use the A Star is Born Oscar buzz as a train she can hitch her publicity caboose to. There are plenty of episodes for them to show up between those dates so I really hope they do.

• Love 1

I think Rami Malek is a good guess too, especially since he sort of resembles Pete (which they've already made reference to on the show by having Pete play him in a "Mr. Robot" parody). Given that Chadwick Boseman and Sterling K. Brown already hosted last season, Michael B. Jordan seems likely as well. 

Emma Stone has an upcoming movie called "The Favourite" which is already getting some Oscar buzz. She hosted not that long ago in December of 2016, but it was a pretty well-received episode (and led to the "Wells For Boys" sketch. Would love to see another Julio Torres-written piece with her in it). If not her, then Jonah Hill could host to promote his directorial debut "mid90s" (and Emma would probably cameo in that episode, I'm sure).  That would make Jonah a five-timer (he's one of the few people left who legitimately has a chance of achieving this any time soon). 

• Love 1

Consider this an unconfirmed  rumor, but someone who claims to be an "insider" on Reddit says they are trying to get Drake as both host and musical guest for the Christmas Show.  We'll see, but it's easy enough to believe. From Adam Driver to Seth to Jonah Hill, they are leaning hard on previous hosts/friends of the show that provide them a certain comfort level. I wish this meant Jon Hamm would host again.

The insider also says the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga episode we've all been expecting will probably happen in January as Oscar season gets underway.  I hope so.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
On 11/24/2018 at 11:33 AM, JZL said:

IMHO B99 doesn't have enough throw-weight with the general masses to yield a xmas show host.  (Be nice to be wrong, though)

If it didn't star an SNL alum, I would (unfortunately) agree. That's more what tips the scale than the premiere date. If he doesn't host, Andy shows up at some point in the Christmas episode, given how cameo heavy it typically is. 

I still think Andy is a great pick for January when Brooklyn 99 comes to NBC.  

Plus I think I just saw that he's going to co-host the Golden Globes?  He's going to have a big profile right then.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

EDIT: Jason Momoa accidentally  posted a pic on his Instagram from inside Lorne's office where you could see that board they post future shows on cue cards. Supposedly Idris Elba was listed on March 9th.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4

Putting this in a new post, so it stands out.

Here is the Spring Schedule:

January 19

January 26

February 09

February 16

March 02

March 09

March 30

April 06

April 13

May 04

May 11

May 18

• Love 2

Any guesses for the hosts of the January shows?

I think the main reason that there isn't a show until January 19 is to get the two weeks of NFL playoffs done. Lorne hated when NFL Games run late and delay the show's start time.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, vb68 said:

Any guesses for the hosts of the January shows?

I think the main reason that there isn't a show until January 19 is to get the two weeks of NFL playoffs done. Lorne hated when NFL Games run late and delay the show's start time.

Not sure about next week but this week the Saturday night game is on FOX. Normally NBC has this game but for whatever reason they're doing the late Sunday game this year. Not sure about next week. It's possible SNL doesn't want to have to compete with NFL games. 

• Love 1

I would imagine whoever wins at the Golden Globes might affect who hosts in January, maybe. They might have had to plan things out farther in advance though, I dunno.

Obviously Lady Gaga and/or Bradley Cooper would be pretty good "gets" for the show. I would imagine Rami Malek would be a good host too (we already know he kind of looks like Pete). 

I think Rebel Wilson might be a good host for the Valentine's Day episode (which I guess would be the February 9th episode?) I'm surprised she hasn't ever hosted before.

Similarly, Brie Larson would be a good choice for the March 2nd episode. Weirdly, I think her first episode was never rerun on NBC for some reason.

• Love 1

Brie Larson is very much the obvious guess for March 2. But this season being so odd for host choices, it seems somewhat less likely. 

Again per Jason Momoa's Instagram, Idris Elba should be hosting March 9. 

Edited by vb68

Yeah, that's not a surprise at all. Wonder if Lorne was pissed that got leaked out so early?

I can't believe how fast we are rolling towards the season's end. After these next two shows, we only have a double set of three episodes left. 

I can't even think who might host those eps. You'd think they would want big names for May.

I was just thinking that it's so odd that they didn't have any of the Oscar nominees host this year. I'm starting to wonder if they changed the person in charge of booking. 

• Love 1
On 2/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, vb68 said:
On 2/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, vb68 said:

I was just thinking that it's so odd that they didn't have any of the Oscar nominees host this year. I'm starting to wonder if they changed the person in charge of booking. 

I'm holding out hope that now that Olivia Colman won, they might be able to get her to host, maybe the remaining show in March or if not then in April.  I don't know what her schedule is like with filming the new season(s) of "The Crown", but I think she'd be a great host. She has a long resume of doing sketch comedy in the UK. 

• Love 1

There was a photo floating around on Twitter that seemed to suggest Adam Sandler will be hosting with Shawn Mendes as musical guest, and the week after that Emma Thompson will be hosting (no mention of musical guest). Then the week after that DJ Khalid was musical guest. 

It was one of those with the colored note cards against the wall, like what SNL uses, but I'm not sure it was anything official.

(edited)

People are saying it was an April Fools' prank, which I'm inclined to believe, but we will see.  But if you actually convince Adam Sandler to host ( highly doubtful as he's always been deeply opposed as a matter of principle because he was fired) for the first time, he should probably have the finale spot.  

But then again, with the strong likelihood that Kenan is leaving, I can see where Lorne would let the finale host be someone of Kenan's choosing.  (Like with Kristin Wiig, who asked for Mick Jagger.) 

It actually didn't look like the usual board to me either, where the host and musical guest are written with a marker.  Just my two cents.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

People are saying it was an April Fools' prank, which I'm inclined to believe, but we will see.  But if you actually convince Adam Sandler to host ( highly doubtful as he's always been deeply opposed as a matter of principle because he was fired) for the first time, he should probably have the finale spot.  

But then again, with the strong likelihood that Kenan is leaving, I can see where Lorne would let the finale host be someone of Kenan's choosing.  (Like with Kristin Wiig, who asked for Mick Jagger.) 

It actually didn't look like the usual board to me either, where the host and musical guest are written with a marker.  Just my two cents.

That makes sense. I hadn't though about it until now. I know Emma Thompson is very funny in her awards show appearances but I don't know if she's ever been associated with SNL. And I hadn't realized until I looked it up yesterday that Sandler has never even hosted. 

I never knew that about Wiig either (I wonder if any other longtime cast members have had that option). Watching the video of it I see that Jay and Taran come out first, then Bobby. That's a bit eerie as they all left the show one after the other. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/showbiz/2012/05/21/early-snl-jagger-wiig.cnn

21 hours ago, vb68 said:

You know, this just occurred to me, but it would be kind of cool if the host for Kenan's last episode was Jack Black, who hosted Kenan's FIRST episode when he started on the show in 2003. Would be a nice closing-the-circle thing for the show's longest-running cast member.

JB doesn't really have anything to promote though- unless you count the Jumanji sequel later in the year.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, vb68 said:

I can admit when I'm wrong, and I was dead wrong.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, Phishbulb said:

JB doesn't really have anything to promote though- unless you count the Jumanji sequel later in the year.

He did recently join YouTube so, you know, he's got that going for him! /s

• Love 1

On April 16, 2019, NBC and Lorne Michaels will have new hosting gigs and musical guest for Saturday Night Live for May 2019. The schedule follows:

SNL 44.20 - Ryan Reynolds / Ashley Tisdale (May 11, 2019)

SNL 44.21 - Jack Black / Vampire Weekend (May 18, 2019)

So, Lorne Michaels need to write the hosting gig cards to the schedule board for the end of Season 44. Thank You, Lorne Michaels.

-Darrell Hammond

It's still weird to think the Emma and Adam hosts were leaked almost a month ago. I'm surprised I haven't seen more reaction to Emma hosting as that is something I never thought she'd do. I guess SNL doesn't draw that kind of attention now.

Yesterday a man hosting the finale was sort of leaked by someone complaining about a woman not hosting. 

A few weeks ago I was watching some Paul Rudd SNL clips and wondered why he hadn't hosted in a long time, if there was some issue. I guess not. 

I know not to expect any great quality but I hope having a host who is not a former cast member will mean they have less of the inside, sneering tone that last season's finale had. 

11 hours ago, lou ann b said:

If it truly is Kenan's last show,he'd better get the best farewell a cast member has ever gotten.

I feel like they may have chosen Rudd for just this very reason- he's an affable host who goes along with anything, and doesn't mind sharing focus with other guest stars, cameos, etc.

His first time hosting, Beyonce was the MG and there was all the attention that the "Single Ladies" dancers sketch got. His second time the MG was Paul McCartney. Last time he hosted it was One Direction, plus there was also the big "Anchorman" reunion when they did the Bill Brasky sketch at the end of the show. 

So I'm figuring it being Kenan's last show, combined with DJ Khaled as the MG , means we're bound to get lots of cameos, other musicians appearing, probably a big final blow-out "What's Up With That" sketch, etc.

• Love 3